Thread Like Summary
GMdawg, PitDAWG
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1902351 11/13/2021 5:50 PM
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
I know there are a lot of people who post here that do not care for country music. I'm pretty picky on the performers I like in every genre of music I listen to. But from where I grew up I often find certain country artists as very relative to my upbringing. Mostly what people put in the category of outlaw country. But what is becoming more and more popular these days is that music is being infused into the country genre that has no resemblance of country music at all. A lot of that has manifested itself as pop music being infused and labeled as country. That I'm not so much a fan of. But one of the biggest winners of country music awards at this time is a man named Chris Stapleton. There's not much that resembles country and it's certainly not pop.

This was his performance at the CMA awards this past week. I hope you all like it. I like music that makes me feel it. This I can feel.

Liked Replies
#1902477 Nov 14th a 04:43 PM
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
I really like Luke Combs too. But man, I had to feel sorry for him at the CMA awards. He had to follow that performance by Chris Stapleton at the CMA's. I would have felt sorry for any country artist that had to follow that.
1 member likes this
#1903097 Nov 14th a 09:06 PM
by PortlandDawg
PortlandDawg
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't really disagree with you to an extent. A lot of younger people don't remember the early careers of people like Kenny Rodgers. Old Hootie came over to country too as you mentioned as did Ronstadt.

But as you eluded to, I don't actually think it's always about them wishing to be a country artist. I think it's far more about finding a way to extend their careers. Also, in the past it seemed like there was at least an effort on the part of artists to "pretend to be and to sound" country. An attempt to at least fit in. It doesn't quite seem that way so much anymore. I'll use Dan and Shay as an example. There's nothing close to country about it. No attempt to make it sound or look like country at all. That has seemed to become far more normal in today's country music than I've ever seen before. But hey, it's bringing in the bucks!

I can’t post a link because of language but do a Google search… Bo Burnham Country Song
It speaks directly to your post.
1 member likes this
#1903993 Nov 18th a 04:01 AM
by PortlandDawg
PortlandDawg
If you’re a fan of female performers of that genre… Brandi Carlile…

1 member likes this
#1905712 Nov 23rd a 10:55 PM
by Clemdawg
Clemdawg
Speaking of Styx, I had the chance to play with Dennis DeYoung about 3 years ago. It was amazing. All the charts were in the original keys, and he nailed the entire 2-hour show. Here's this GrandDad-looking dude just belting it out like he was still in his 20:s.

Father Time hasn't touched his voice at all. The exception to the rule, for sure.

Sorry for the thread hijack, everyone. We now return you to the CMA Channel's regular broadcast.
1 member likes this