Thread Like Summary
dawglover05, OldColdDawg, PitDAWG
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
Patent-pending technology developed with Purdue University

The automaker and Purdue University are co-developing a charging cable for use with high-power charging stations that could recharge an electric vehicle's battery in the same time it takes to fill a gas tank, which typically takes about five minutes

The cable features a unique liquid cooling system that can phase the liquid into vapor, which improves its ability to dissipate heat.

"Today, chargers are limited in how quickly they can charge an EV’s battery due to the danger of overheating. Charging faster requires more current to travel through the charging cable," Michael Degner, senior technical leader, Ford Research and Advanced Engineering, said.

"The higher the current, the greater the amount of heat that has to be removed to keep the cable operational."

The most powerful stations currently in use can charge an electric car to 80% in 20 to 40 minutes and new cable designs will be required to increase the speed as battery and charging network technology improves.

A timeline for the rollout of the new cable has not been announced, but a patent application has been filed to protect the intellectual property.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ford-invents-cable-charge-electric-cars-5-minutes

As the technology continues to advance it won't be long until people start running out of excuses of why EV's won't work.
Liked Replies
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
I do understand there will be people, that no matter what obstacles EV's overcome, they will just not get on board with it. But to me that's not the objective I would like to see be achieved here. I'm simply hoping for enough of them to be on the road over the next decade or so that we are no longer held hostage by OPEC and the big oil companies. We're never going to achieve that unless we see oil rigs in every national park and place of beauty in our nation. And even then I highly doubt it would ever be accomplished. To me EV's are the only legitimate option at this juncture.

Great to hear you are buying one. When you get it please keep us informed of how you like it and the positives and negatives of owning one.
1 member likes this
by dawglover05
dawglover05
Will do. When I test drove it, I was heavily impressed. Hopefully that continues.
1 member likes this
by PitDAWG
PitDAWG
I was simply trying to address the parts that spoke directly to their, what seemed to be major concerns.
1 member likes this