Thread Like Summary
FATE, Frenchy, Hammer, jfanent, tastybrownies
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1913055 12/21/2021 1:44 PM
by eotab
eotab
What I saw was a competitive game with us against all odds. Our defense did what it could except on 3rd downs we also seemed to collapse.

I saw Chubbb runing no where and then all of a sudden a fire was lit and he just didn't run he bursted on the scene and we were able to bring a mix of small passes and then a chuck on a long one. An early drop by DPJ down the right sideliinses as he was wide open and the throw a tad easey but a pass right in the chest of DPJ . That brought us down a notch. Mullens actually gave his all and did not throw an INT - lot of heart from hi as he stayed in the pocket and got creamed but made the throw of course just not deep enough to do any damage.

I noticed right off and throughout the game Mullens could not run at alllhis legs would give out on him as you can see his kinee buckle as he tried to run. But over and over again our defense kept on playing strong. We reallly missed our starting DT and Takk along with Clowney out - One guy penetrating just didn't help and then Garrett would not try to penetrate as Carr would let go of the ball early and if it was a run they would just run off tackle B gap or even C gap as garrett would penetrate only to create a big spacr ofr them to run through - for the most part we stopped the run but I didn't like the soft zone we played on 3rd down passes knowing full well how Carr would have to get rid of the ball early and we just didn't come up and attack the throws coming, instead we would let them catch the ball and get the first.

So third ddowns killed us. On oh I'm saying, no yelling just keep on running the ball and take that extra down (4th) and run for the first. Why not all we were doing wwas giving them the ball anyways let us at least make a game out of it and run 4 downs and eventually they would crush under that pressure of course occasionally throwing a pass here and there off of play action but get a big space in the middle for our TE Njoku and Harrison who by the way both made great plays on 3rd down, I think kHarrison on 4th down or maybe both I just know they were successful.

It was nice to see Higgins getting the ball thown to him and he would catch it with sure hands. . In that 4th quarter we got the running attack of wearing them down but too little too late as this is what I was asking for from the beginning - wearing them down and letting our defense win the game was the way to go but we just didn't choose to wear them down. Stilll it was a miracle we were in the game at all. Losing on a last second FG was terrible especially with the way we let them get some soft deep throws without us playing tight we just let them catch that ball on that last drive with hardly any opposition and big chunks of yardage.

We should have been on top of the AFC North but didn't get there. Pain tooo much righ now physical and mental. got to go let me know what you saw out there.
Liked Replies
by DCDAWGFAN
DCDAWGFAN
I saw us come out and do exactly what the Raiders expected us to do, try to run Nick Chubb into the teeth of their defense and then try to throw 4 yard passes, the only deep throw we attempted early was there, he just dropped it. Once they took the reins off of Mullens and started to let him throw the ball down the field, surprise, running lanes started to open up.

I saw the Raiders protect Carr with 6 blockers on most plays because they knew if they could hold off the rush long enough, our depleted secondary would break down. Credit to the secondary for not giving up many big plays and keeping things in front of them. It felt, for much of the game, like they were gouging us for 7 or 8 yards on simple runs on first down and that we were giving them every pass they wanted under 8 yards.... yet when I checked the score, they had only scored 10 points...

I saw us, in a game where we were fighting against all odds, put ourselves in a position to win and absolutely REFUSE to take any chances that could have won us the game. It's like we would rather face almost certain death by 1000 cuts, because that's what the analytics say, than for SOMEBODY to take a chance and if it doesn't work, have to answer for it.

I saw our special teams cost us yet again. I get the punter, the dude is like 45 years old and was signed 2 weeks ago out of necessity, but our FG kicker has just fallen apart. He was 15/15 on XPs and 9/9 on FGs after about 6 games, since then he's 14/15 on XPs and 6/12 on FGs. He has missed at least one kick in 6 in of our last 8 games. When you are playing a bunch of close games in the middle of a playoff run, having your FG kicker be 50% isn't going to cut it.

Overall, I saw a team that was as prepared as they could have been, a team that played with good intensity, a stadium that was rocking, and a game that was winnable... and a staff that just couldn't pull the trigger when the win was in their sites.
2 members like this
by mac
mac
It was nice to see Higgins getting the ball thown to him and he would catch it with sure hands.

EO...It seemed to take the whole first half to figure out that Chubb is better at running a sweep and allowing him to make the choice of where he cuts back. Chubb can run between the tackles but you better have the blocking to open a hole or create a lane to run in.

It was good to see Higgins out there and for one thing, he's not afraid to go over the middle. Hopefully Higgins can get on the field with Mayfield at QB.

I was very disappointed at Ward and JOK's attempt at tackling the Raiders #87 with 0:25 seconds on the clock...both acted as if they didn't want any part of tackling the guy and he ran another 5 yds for a first down when the Browns #35 ran him out of bounds with 0:22 seconds left. That was enough to pick up the first down and stop the clock...helping to give the Raiders enough time to run another play, getting closer for the FG then leaving 3 seconds on the clock to kick the FG

Had Ward and JOK tackled the guy, there was a good chance he would have been inbounds allowing the clock to continue to run. Did that play cost the Browns the WIN...imo, yes it did. I hope the coach runs that play over and over for those two guys to watch the lack of effort they gave with the game on the line. If Ward and JOK are afraid of getting hurt then they should get the hell off the field.

Some have claimed that the Browns are soft on defense...this one play is a defining moment for the Defensive coaches and the players they are supposed to be coaching. Coaching is "teaching"..."teaching" the game of football, STARTING WITH THE BASICS...TACKLING AND BLOCKING !
1 member likes this
by bonefish
bonefish
i have heard people moan about play calling since I first began watching football.

"Why did he call that play?" "Why didn't we run the ball?" How could you go for two in that situation?"

"Third and 5 and we run? Are you kidding me?"

It has been and will always be. However, bear in mind the coaches have way more information to base a call on than we do. I am not saying they are always right. Of course not because it never works whatever the call all the time.

I called pitches as a baseball coach from the bench. You make the call and hope for the best. But you make the call with a lot of information.

So, I accept the plays called. I don't always agree but I accept the calls because I know they have more information available to them than I have.
===========================================================================================

What I have a hard time accepting is field goal kickers missing kicks when the distance is within his range, the field conditions are decent, and they get a good snap and hold.

I can not excuse our kicker missing that field goal last night.

He has to make that kick. It is not like he has to beat another player. He doesn't practice having a player knock the ball from his hands. He doesn't have to contend with anything but the ball if all else is "within reason."

Believe me I know it is not easy. But they are paid to do that one task. They are on a roster because they have shown the ability to make those kicks. They are paid a lot of money. Of course they want to make the kick. And it must feel terrible to miss a game winning kick.

But this is professional football. You have to make that kick.

To a degree the GM is also responsible. They know the importance. NFL games are often close and many are decided by 3 points or less. If you have questions about your kicker. Or, lack faith in them. You have to find a guy who you trust. It is to damn important.

That game was hard fought. We had players playing from the practice squad who have not started a game. It is amazing that we were in a position to win.

Maybe I am over reacting. Maybe that's the way the cookie crumbles. Or, the way it goes sometimes. BS. Make the damn kick.

If I had a line on another guy who I could get. He would be gone today.
1 member likes this
by WSU Willie
WSU Willie
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Yea, this is BAD and inexcusable

Moffatt looks back at Ward with a WTF shrug. We are a weak and weak-minded defensive team...and it starts with our (2) Pro Bowl "leaders". One "leader" pats LJ on the butt after he beats us with a total BS play (while Clowney slams his helmet on the ground in disgust) and the other guy purposely whiffs on a tackle that could have changed the game (while the PS guy looks on in amazement).

It starts with their mentality folks...we need an alpha leader or two on the defensive side of the ball...and today we do not have one...actually quite the opposite. Couple our defensive "identity" with a play-not-to-lose DC and we get exactly what we have.
1 member likes this
by FATE
FATE
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Yea, this is BAD and inexcusable

Moffatt looks back at Ward with a WTF shrug. We are a weak and weak-minded defensive team...and it starts with our (2) Pro Bowl "leaders". One "leader" pats LJ on the butt after he beats us with a total BS play (while Clowney slams his helmet on the ground in disgust) and the other guy purposely whiffs on a tackle that could have changed the game (while the PS guy looks on in amazement).

It starts with their mentality folks...we need an alpha leader or two on the defensive side of the ball...and today we do not have one...actually quite the opposite. Couple our defensive "identity" with a play-not-to-lose DC and we get exactly what we have.

That play, by #21 CB Ward and #28 LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah...cost the Browns the game...might also cost the team a chance to make the playoffs and a chance play for a shot at the Super Bowl. Every goal the Browns set for themselves at the beginning of the season was on the line and two of our star players decided that it was not their job to tackle the Raiders backup TE, #87.

You can't win with player who are AFRAID TO TACKLE.

I do know that Mack Wilson would have taken down the Raiders TE...but Mack Wilson is not one of the nice guys that our analytical management and coaches prefer.

Can't win with soft management and soft coaches, either.
No one is afraid to tackle. C'mon.

Dude didn't get shoved out of bounds by the first player, everyone in the world knows he needs to get out of bounds. Bad play, not laziness or anything like that.

Extra five yards when the 47 yard FG split the uprights and was good from 60. Hardly a "cost the game" moment or anything like that.
1 member likes this