Thread Like Summary
Clemdawg, GratefulDawg
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1915126 12/29/2021 12:38 AM
by YTownBrownsFan
YTownBrownsFan
RIP Coach.

John Madden dies: Hall of Fame coach, NFL icon passes away unexpectedly at age 85 - CBSSports.com
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...icon-passes-away-unexpectedly-at-age-85/

NFL legend John Madden unexpectedly passed away Tuesday morning. The Hall of Fame coach, broadcaster and video game creator was 85 years old.

"On behalf of the entire NFL family, we extend our condolences to Virginia, Mike, Joe and their families," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "We all know him as the Hall of Fame coach of the Oakland Raiders and broadcaster who worked for every major network, but more than anything, he was a devoted husband, father and grandfather.

"Nobody loved football more than Coach. He was football. He was an incredible sounding board to me and so many others. There will never be another John Madden, and we will forever be indebted to him for all he did to make football and the NFL what it is today."

Madden compiled a .759 winning percentage as the Raiders coach, the highest percentage in league history among coaches that have won 100 games. During his 10 seasons as the Raiders head coach, Madden led Oakland to the playoffs eight times. The Raiders appeared in seven AFC title games under Madden that included five straight from 1973-77. And after falling short in his first five AFC title games, Madden and the Raiders finally broke through in 1976.

After a 13-1 regular season, the Raiders dethroned the Steelers -- the team that defeated Oakland in the previous two AFC title games -- to punch their first ticket to the Super Bowl. In Super Bowl XI, the Raiders dominated the Vikings behind a punishing rushing attack and equally devastating defense. Oakland received an MVP performance from Fred Biletnikoff, who set up three of the Raiders' four offensive touchdowns. The Raiders won 32-14, and Madden and the Raiders were champions for the first time.

"They can never take it away from you," Madden said of his Super Bowl win. "Maybe the fact that we chased it so long made it bigger to us. It was the greatest feeling in the world. There's nothing that can beat it."
Liked Replies
#1915158 Dec 29th a 04:47 AM
by jfanent
jfanent
I used to love watching those teams when I was a kid, with Daryle Lamonica and Ken Stabler, with a young Madden sweating on the sidelines with the most intense look on his face going up against the likes of Hank Stram and Chuck Knoll. Those were great times. RIP.
1 member likes this
#1915179 Dec 29th a 01:50 PM
by FORTBROWNFAN
FORTBROWNFAN
Anyone else remember John Madden on the air quoting, I believe a coach's pre-game or halftime speech saying, "Don't worry about the horse being blind, just loan the wagon".

Loved his color analysis and he appears a lot in an old Showtime documentary about the AFL's ten-year history. I have watched that several times on YouTube.
1 member likes this
#1915162 Dec 29th a 06:05 AM
by Clemdawg
Clemdawg
I'm going to remember him well.

He helped to shape not only NFL coaching, but also broadcasting style, a pro insider's color during games... and was one of the first of his generation to launch into corporate commercials:

Some gamers gonna pour out a cold one for him, as well.
Never dipped into the EA/Madden franchise, but even I was able to see what a juggernaut it was.

Best tributes to a man who carved his own path.
1 member likes this
#1915139 Dec 29th a 01:26 AM
by AZBrown
AZBrown
No one better with the telestrator.

RIP.
1 member likes this
#1915130 Dec 29th a 12:47 AM
by EveDawg
EveDawg
He was my favorite. I have many happy memories watching football at Thanksgiving with family and he would always be on. He was the best.

RIP Mr Madden. This is very sad.
1 member likes this