Thread Like Summary
AZBrown, FATE, GratefulDawg, IrishDawg42, mgh888, oobernoober, tastybrownies, Versatile Dog
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1955707 07/07/2022 6:54 PM
by bonefish
bonefish
Hopefully next week or so we will find out about DW.

Until then camp is not to far away and there should be some good competition to follow once camp begins.

Hooper is gone. Njoku and Bryant will be the primary guys. However, the third TE is up for grabs.

Miller Forristall, Nakia Griffin-Stewart, Zaire Mitchell-Paden, Marcos Santos-Silva, these four guys who I don't a thing about get to fight for a roster spot. I know Silva played PF in college basketball. I don't know what to expect from them.

Slot receiver is wide open and I will say. I miss Jarvis. However, this should interesting. I think Felton is in the mix. He has good short area quickness and can catch the ball. He is a good runner after the catch. Bell the rookie has been pegged for the position. All indications are that he has been impressive. Runs good routes and has exceptional hands. Anthony Schwartz? Not sure about him in the slot. I think he will be moved around in camp. They will looking closely at him. Expecting him to show development as a receiver. Jakeem Grant will get reps in the slot. He is a proven ST player but he is also a receiver. He can run after the catch. I would expect him to get some trick plays like reverses, or jet sweeps. Slot?

We have some UDFA's receivers. Ya never know about them. We look light at receiver. I wonder if we might add a vet?

DT will be wide open. The Malik's are gone. Sheldon Day is a vet backup. Jordan Elliott was a third rounder and it is time for him. Taven Bryan was traded for. He has underachieved but he might be one of those guys who needed a fresh start. Togiai? He was drafted to be developed. Kind of see where he is.
Perrion Winfrey is a rookie. I saw him at the Senior Bowl practice. Loved him. I am hoping he will be what I saw.

JOK will play every down. Who is next to him? Walker, Phillips, Taki, Fields. I expect Taki to play on run downs. Walker and Phillips will both play. Maybe sometimes together with JOK and other times one of them.

Center? Harris was drafted to play center. His strength is his ability to move. He has good feet and can get to the second level. He needed to get stronger and be consistent. He is expected to start. However, they brought in Ethan Pocic. He has experience and is a lot bigger than Harris. He could push Harris.

RT is for Conklin if healthy. Hudson and Hubbard will be the primary backups. Hubbard has more experience. Hudson was not bad as a rookie. He had some bumps but he played better as the year went on.

Camp always brings a surprise. Some guy comes in and plays his butt off. I felt bad for Malik McDowell. I thought the guy was over his past and had a future. He might have developed into something decent. But his past was not so far behind.

I am looking forward to camp.
Liked Replies
#1956920 Jul 16th a 12:40 PM
by GratefulDawg
GratefulDawg
Video: Browns DL coach breaks down Perrion Winfrey's exciting tape

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2022/07/16/perrion-winfrey-browns-chris-kiffin-nfl-draft/

There were many who pegged DT Perrion Winfrey as a potential target of the Cleveland Browns in the second round of the 2022 NFL draft. Instead, the team traded out of the second round but still wound up adding Winfrey in the fourth round. We will find out if his fall was for a reason or if he becomes the next Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, a steal.

Not only does Winfrey have Browns fans excited about his potential to plug a big need but his first media availability provided a lot of energy and excitement as well.

Since being drafted, we’ve seen Winfrey putting up big weight in a workout, predicated as a day three draft pick that could start and make the preseason ‘All-Rookie Team.’

Our Josh Keatley broke down what Cleveland is getting from Winfrey as well.

As the team ramps up to training camp, Nathan Zegura hosted defensive line coach Chris Kiffin to look at some of Winfrey’s tape:

Important to note how Winfrey was used in college, playing over the center, and still being able to make an impact. In Cleveland, as discussed, the Oklahoma star will be used to get penetration as a 3-technique or 2i defensive tackle.

The combination of speed, power and motor shown in the video could combine to help Winfrey live up to the hype surrounding him this offseason. We will see what happens as training camp opens up in a little over a week.
2 members like this
#1955784 Jul 7th a 10:45 PM
by bonefish
bonefish
That seems to be the take by those that have watched him

KS loved the guy.

Jarvis was slow. He still was great. Cooper Kupp is far from fast. Larry Fitzgerald was not fast. Good receivers have that ability to get open. Jerry Rice was not a speed demon.

They know how to set up db's. They use slight deceptive movements to create space. They gain the confidence of the quarterback by running precise routes.

Bell could do well.

1 member likes this
#1955810 Jul 8th a 11:50 AM
by Versatile Dog
Versatile Dog
Here is a player profile that should be easier to read than the previous one I posted.

David Bell NFL Draft 2022: Scouting Report for Purdue WR
BR NFL SCOUTING DEPARTMENT

HEIGHT: 6'0 7/8"

WEIGHT: 212

HAND: 9 1/4"

ARM: 31 7/8"

WINGSPAN: 6'4 5/8"

40-YARD DASH: 4.65

3-CONE: 7.14

SHUTTLE: 4.57

VERTICAL: 33"

BROAD: 9'10"

POSITIVES

— Good size and strength for the position. Overpowers CBs trying to get their hands on him.

— Aligns inside and out. Can consistently find soft spots in zone coverages when working over the middle.

— Has the body control and ball skills to be a valid weapon on back-shoulder throws. Understands how to use his body to box out defenders.

— Can create yards after the catch with his strength and good balance. Bounces off CBs with the ball in his hands and flashes some burst to get north.

— Above-average hands with good catching range.

— Has the frame and strength to be a valid weapon on underneath routes like slants. Knows how to stay friendly to QBs and is willing to work over the middle.

— Not a burner, but has enough straight-line speed to threaten CBs on vertical routes.

NEGATIVES

— Has a tendency to push off defenders, which will be penalized more frequently in the NFL.

— Inconsistent with his route running. Will lack urgency and details.

— Average lateral quickness with the ball in his hands.

2021 STATISTICS

11 G, 93 REC, 1,286 YDS (13.8 AVG), 6 TD

NOTES

— 2021 first-team All-American.

— 2021 Big Ten WR of the Year.

— 2021 first-team All-Big Ten.

— 2020 first-team All-Big Ten.

— 2019 Big Ten Freshman of the Year.

OVERALL

David Bell is a good-sized WR who can align inside and out in an offensive formation. He wins with his strength and body control, but he has enough athleticism to win on vertical routes and threaten cornerbacks just enough with his long speed.

Bell's body control and ball skills really flash on back-shoulder throws, on which he already shows a propensity to be a valid weapon. He is willing to work over the middle on underneath routes, where his frame and play strength make him a friendly option for quarterbacks.

While Bell can create some yards after the catch with his balance and core strength, he is not a burner and doesn't consistently make defenders miss in a phone booth. He also is inconsistent with his route-running technique and effort, and he'll need to continue to polish his technique and route tree in the NFL.

Bell tends to push off on defenders at the top of his routes, which will be penalized more often in the NFL. He also lacks detail on routes on more advanced parts of the route tree.

Overall, Bell projects as a No. 2 type of receiver who can align inside as a "Power Slot" and outside as a Z receiver. His strength, body control and ball skills will get him playing time early in his career, but he needs to continue working on his technique and overall effort to ascend to more.

GRADE: 7.2 (High-level Backup/Potential Starter - 3rd Round)

OVERALL RANK: 92

POSITION RANK: WR13

PRO COMPARISON: Joshua Palmer

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10021513-david-bell-nfl-draft-2022-scouting-report-for-purdue-wr
1 member likes this
#1955914 Jul 8th a 11:01 PM
by lampdogg
lampdogg
Jc, bard.

There are a few things that make a good/elite receiver what he is, but in my mind, quick feet when changing direction are more important than straight-line speed.
1 member likes this
#1956003 Jul 9th a 04:11 PM
by GratefulDawg
GratefulDawg
Can David Njoku be a No. 1 tight end? Browns key questions for 2022

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...t-end-browns-key-questions-for-2022.html

By Ashley Bastock, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- As a social media debate consumed Twitter earlier this offseason, Browns tight end David Njoku wasn’t paying attention.

The discourse centered around Njoku’s flashy new contract extension, a four-year deal worth up to $56.75 million that makes him the fifth-highest paid tight end in the NFL, putting him in the company of first-team All-Pros and multiple-time Pro Bowlers (San Francisco’s George Kittle, Kansas City’s Travis Kelce, Philadelphia’s Dallas Goedert and Baltimore’s Mark Andrews).

“It’s actually my first time hearing that the Browns overpaid me,” Njoku said during the team’s OTAs this offseason. “I didn’t hear that. I mean, it’s my first time. It is what it is. I feel like we are going to do great things together in the near future.”

Njoku may have tuned out the social media noise, but on the field he will have to answer one burning question: Can he be a No. 1 tight end?

At this moment, it’s an unanswerable question for sure. But what’s inarguable is Njoku likely has untapped potential, and the Browns believe that with more time, experience, and targets, he can get there.

With Austin Hooper released and now with the Tennessee Titans, Njoku is the undisputed No. 1 tight end on the roster. In his career, however, Njoku has only averaged 36 receptions, 428 yards and 3.5 touchdowns in his four healthy seasons (he only played four games in 2019 after breaking his wrist and landing in Freddie Kitchens’ doghouse).

Considering coach Kevin Stefanski and quarterback Deshaun Watson like to utilize tight ends in the pass game (Watson has thrown about 20% of his 104 career TD passes to tight ends), it wouldn’t be shocking for Njoku to get the second-most targets behind star wide receiver Amari Cooper, even if there is a decreased use of 13 personnel (one running back, three tight ends).

With the extension, the Browns are seemingly paying Njoku based on potential rather than past production.

He certainly has potential, considering Njoku is only 25 and has been in the league for five years.

“He is young,” Stefanski said during OTAs. “I do not know if he physically can grow any more, but his game can grow. That is a conversation I have had with him. I do expect his game to grow, and it is not as simple as saying, ‘Hey, we are going to throw more balls to you.’ I think his game will grow, and you will see it in the run game and in the pass game, and you will see it kind of throughout. I think he is committed to that. David wants to get better, and to be 25, I think you have that opportunity to get better.”

Over the years Njoku’s greatly improved his blocking, something that has drawn praise from both Stefanski and GM Andrew Berry. Last season he was the best blocking tight end on the team with a 72.4 pass blocking grade and 64.1 run blocking grade, according to Pro Football Focus.

The pass game is where he has the most room to grow.

Drops have been one of his biggest perceived issues, and while he still has room to improve there, he’s come a long way already. Njoku dropped eight balls during the 2018 season, but had just three in 2020 and two last season, according to PFF.

There’s also room to improve his route running.

“Especially on plays where he has to break down and make cuts,“ offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said. “David is really fast and a really good straight-line runner so improvement in his route-running ability [is possible].”

Considering his size at 6-4, 246 pounds, Njoku could be the kind of tight end to get eight touchdowns a season, as Mary Kay Cabot has argued. So far he’s averaged only three, but when you talk about potential, Njoku’s development combined with Watson’s accuracy understandably has the Browns optimistic that he can perform in the No. 1 role.

That experience that Njoku is going to gain, and the confidence that comes with being No. 1 on the depth chart may ultimately be what helps Njoku reach his potential -- his new contract reinforces the front office’s expectations.

Njoku will have more of an opportunity than ever before due to increased experience and targets.

Regardless of the social media chatter, he has the chance this year to prove he can be a No. 1 tight end and quiet the critics for good.
1 member likes this
#1956045 Jul 10th a 02:19 PM
by eotab
eotab
I like Njoku, he came to us a raw talent so I don't see him underachieving. Actually I saw him as under UTILIZED as last couple of years the set plays have gone to Hooper and not Njoku, he wasted a lot of good reps as Hooper would catch and fall down - Njoku has the talent to go up and get the ball. I don't remember seeing him drop a ball. I'm sure he has but it was not a common thing. He worked hard on his blocking and now earned the Featured TE position on our team. We will see what he's got but I'm expecting a breakout season for him.

jmho
1 member likes this
#1956034 Jul 10th a 03:03 AM
by Baker_Dawg
Baker_Dawg
Another delusional move by the FO. Njoku is a chronic underachiever, a fat contract is not changing that.

This will prove to be another ignorant move.
1 member likes this