DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Spectre Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 02:58 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/cleveland_browns_fired_romeo_c.html

Cleveland Browns fired Romeo Crennel
by Mary Kay Cabot Monday December 29, 2008, 9:52 AM
BEREA -- Browns coach Romeo Crennel was fired this morning.

Team spokesman Bill Bonsiewsicz announced the firing at 9:50.

Crennel was 25-40 in four seasons as Browns head coach. He had been expected to meet with owner Randy Lerner on Monday morning. Lerner is scheduled to meet with the media at 10 a.m.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:00 PM
Good luck Romeo, you are a class act. I wish it would have worked out for you here.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:00 PM
Not exactly a surprise. Get Cowher if he will accept only being Head Coach. Get Pioli.
Good Luck Romeo...

I for one will miss you being here in Cleveland.

I know where ever you go from this point on, you will succeed. It's a hard road to walk in Cleveland, Ohio.

Posted By: FargoFan Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:01 PM
No surprise there. I only hope this means that Cowher is on his way to Cleveland. I heard yesterday on ESPN that Marty Schottenheimer is in Kansas City and they are interviewing him for an office job. Pretty much puts my list down to one candidate.
Posted By: RABIDAWG07 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:02 PM
so long Romeo cant say you werent a good guy.....a good HC?, now thats a different story
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:02 PM
Yup,, just saw it on TV and he's a blip from WKYC.com

BEREA -- Channel 3 News has confirmed that Cleveland Browns Head Coach Romeo Crennel has been fired.

Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner released Crennel Monday morning.

Crennel's release comes after a disappointing 4-12 season.

Brown's GM Phil Savage was released Sunday after the Brown's shutout loss to the Pittsburg Steelers.

The Associated Press last night that Savage was told by Browns owner Randy Lerner that the organization is going in another direction.

© 2008 WKYC-TV
Quote:

Good luck Romeo, you are a class act. I wish it would have worked out for you here.

My sentiments exactly.
Good luck, Romeo. I truly hoped you were the one. For now, get some rest and watch your health!!!

Anybody want to guess what expression he wore on his face when he got the news?
Posted By: Alpoe19 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:11 PM
Good Riddance. Romeo, you did an awful job here, I don't have anything else to say.
Posted By: Spectre Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:12 PM
I like Romeo as a person and I'm glad he handled himself with class but it's clear that he isn't cut out to be a head coach. Nothing against him, but I'm glad we can move on ASAP.
Posted By: Dawgbone Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:14 PM
Dear Randy,,, Thank you,,, thank you,,,,thank you....
Not that you're bitter about it or anything....

Best wishes Romeo. Good man. Not the right HC for the Browns. Go spoil you're grandkids for a while until a good opportunity comes along.
So how long will it take to find a new GM and Head Coach?
Posted By: Squires Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:16 PM
Quote:

Dear Randy,,, Thank you,,, thank you,,,,thank you....

I'll thank Randy when he brings in a coach that can actually win. This cleaning house every 4-5 years is getting old.
Posted By: KIDD20 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:18 PM
Quote:

I have a feeling phone calls have already been made and a feeling out process has already taken place. My gut is telling me Pioli or Parcells with Cohwer as a possible coach... Nothing concrete just a gut feeling...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:19 PM
I wish him and his family well.
Posted By: Fletch Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:19 PM
Seen this comin.

Later RAC and good luck though I don't feel an ounce of sorrow for ya since your pocket is pretty padded.

Just get some guys in here that produces a damn winner.

I don't care if the name is Cowher, Schottenhiemer, Pioli, or whoever, just bring home a damn winner.

Nuff said by me, I could go on and on but won't just bring home a damn winner no matter who you are that lands the job openings the Browns have now!
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:19 PM
at least we have something to be excited about.....randy did a good job building up our hopes again after such a crappy year. i just hope that he delivers this time
Posted By: Alpoe19 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:22 PM
not bitter, I just think he did a terrible job. I could care less if he came across as a nice guy, or had class. I don't know him, or will ever meet him. he could be a scumbag for all I know. what I know is he failed, and will get paid off handsomely from Randy.

it's all about wins and losses, nothing else.
Posted By: Squires Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:22 PM
jc

ClevelandBrowns.com is providing quite a bit of detail on the situation.

Browns announce changes

The Browns have just announced that a change has been made at the general manager and head coaching positions.

Stay tuned to ClevelandBrowns.com throughout the day for more.
Posted By: Fletch Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:23 PM
I hope your wrong about Parcells since he still is UNDER CONTRACT with Miami.

BTW for you guys who don't know, Parcells pulls this every damn year, at the end of eveery seasosn he "contemplates" leaving well don't see it here since Miami did make the playoffs, but this is his schtick his way of getting out of situations, plus we talk to him now WE BROKE RULES. So until he is no longer under contract with Miami mentioning him coming to Cleveland is just as silly as Were gonna get Pace.

Got It?
Don't know..but what I'm sensing is Lerner has to do a sell job on Cowher who may be uncertain he wants back into coaching. To do that sell job, Lerner has to basically assure him that he will have all the powers he wants to have.

The 53 man roster. His own people in the FO, which means his own GM, etc.
But this is just as hazardous..people with too much control..

If Phil was there, Cowher would have been put into the position of demanding Phil fired. I don't know how COwher feels about Phil, but I don't imagine that the stories of how Cowher did not want to work with Phil Savage would help the selling the whole deal.

Now, Randy did it. He demanded of Phil what he KNEW Phil would not give up. Thus maneuvering Phil to fire himself and now when Randy speaks with Cowher, none of those ugly issues are in the way.

The timing of this means that the Browns are indeed looking for an established HC and they know that THEY want control of the 53 man roster, and some want more.

In essence, the Browns could not pursue Cowher with Phil Savage in place.

Move one. Eliminate Phil. His removal is now unrelated to the pursuit of Cowher in the eyes of the media. The reasons stated will be anything but those.

Move two. Fire Crennel.
Posted By: christy Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:25 PM
I am excited to see who the next coach will be. This is like Christmas morning all over again!
Posted By: SpiderDog Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:26 PM
Quote:

Agreed. Romeo is an honorable man. I wish him the best.
Quote:

BTW for you guys who don't know, Parcells pulls this every damn year, at the end of eveery seasosn he "contemplates" leaving well don't see it here since Miami did make the playoffs, but this is his schtick his way of getting out of situations, plus we talk to him now WE BROKE RULES. So until he is no longer under contract with Miami mentioning him coming to Cleveland is just as silly as Were gonna get Pace.

Got It?

Parcells has an option in the contract that he only has to answer to the current owner, the sale of the team is supposed to be finalized Tuesday at which point Parcells can opt out, that is why there is speculation regarding Parcells.
Quote:

I am excited to see who the next coach will be. This is like Christmas morning all over again!

You and me both. Let's hope we don't "shoot our eye out."
Quote:

Hopefully, not long. There's a LOT of work to be done between now and the end of April (not to mention putting plans together for the upcoming season).

I really don't think Cowher is coming back to coaching this season. I certainly wouldn't mind Marty coming back as either HC OR in a similar capacity that Parcells served with the Dolphins this year. I think Marty is a smart football guy and he knows what it takes to build a winner. I don't think he needs to be the coach to have an a positive impact on an organization.

It's going to be an interesting off-season.
Posted By: Fletch Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:27 PM
Your asses should have went to Taggarts I showed up.
Posted By: christy Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:28 PM
I know, but I really really wanted to attend the game.

We'll definitely making a trip over there though sometime!
Quote:

Head coach should be in a few weeks.

GM should be in a few days IMO.
Posted By: Fletch Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:31 PM
Ok one more time, He does this every year. He has the opt out clause sine hell New England. Every year there is speculation about Parcells going somewhere else have you missed that?

It's Parcells he does this all the time, and would I take him hell ya, but WE CAN'T TALK TO HIM LEGALLY NOW SINCE HE IS UNDER CONTRACT. If he leaves then it makes sense but to speculate now is to actually believe were taking the Penn State guy the ESPN ticker has been showing in the draft.
Posted By: YOGI Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:33 PM
Good luck Romeo. Not a good fit for the Browns. I wouldn't worry about RAC. He should get a DC position if he decides to stay in the league.
Quote:

Browns fans are ready for the REGULAR & POST seasons to feel like Christmas morning. Been ready . . .
Posted By: SpiderDog Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:35 PM
Still sounds like bitterness when you don't give the guy any credit for what he did well - and that is to represent the Browns with some honor. If you want to bash him for being a bad coach, you really should be bashing Lerner and Savage. RAC didn't have the skills to be a head coach in Cleveland - plain and simple. Can you blame RAC for that? Not really. And it's not like he tried to pull the wool over everyone's eyes - he stood up and took the blame for the poor performance. Blame should be placed with the people who put him in the position to fail.
Quote:

Quote:

Browns fans are ready for the REGULAR & POST seasons to feel like Christmas morning. Been ready . . .

I'd rather my christmas be preparing for the first playoff game
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:37 PM
RAC...Class act, great person, wish him & his family well.

Phil, Same thing, thanks for trying, it didnt work out, so we must move on.
Hey buddy, I'm not saying we should speculate, I'm just stating the reason for the speculation.

But now that you mention that mock that was possibly the worst mock I've ever seen. They had The Chiefs taking Stafford from Georgia, when they already have a pretty good young QB in Thigpen.
I
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:39 PM
Quote:

BTW for you guys who don't know, Parcells pulls this every damn year, at the end of eveery seasosn he "contemplates" leaving well don't see it here since Miami did make the playoffs, but this is his schtick his way of getting out of situations,

Fletch, let me catch you up on a few things..

Parcells, to my knowledge hasn't said a thing... Also, there is reportedly an out clause in his contract if Wayne Huizinga sells the team which was reported that he has done.

So what people are thinking is that Parcells may want out and he has the ability to get out based on the reported out clause.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:41 PM
Quote:

It depends.

First Lerner is going to talk to the guys he will hand over the whole ball of wax...Cowher as an example...don't know how many other of those he would consider.

If he can't do that...and I think he will try to do that quickly...then it is hire the GM...Pioli is open for interview now.

If we get a Cowher..it will probably happen in a week. If not, the GM will be hired maybe a week after next...the coach a week after that unless he is on a playoff team..
Posted By: Fletch Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:42 PM
I gottcha and my point is basically not letting speculation become "fact" which I seen thrown out here before, but I won't mention Parcells as a legit option realistically and keep saying what I said until it "might" happen.
Posted By: Squires Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:43 PM
Quote:

There's nothing exciting about going through this again. I'm more po'd then anything. I won't be excited until the next GM/coach can prove they can put together a winning team.
Posted By: Dawgbone Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:43 PM
Damanshot,, lets face it,, you can lead the horse to water,,,,, but ,,,they will not always drink....
Cowher isn't coming here..
I understand where you're coming from, but we are have just entered speculation season so buckle up.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:45 PM
Quote:

Quote:

BTW for you guys who don't know, Parcells pulls this every damn year, at the end of eveery seasosn he "contemplates" leaving well don't see it here since Miami did make the playoffs, but this is his schtick his way of getting out of situations,

Fletch, let me catch you up on a few things..

Parcells, to my knowledge hasn't said a thing... Also, there is reportedly an out clause in his contract if Wayne Huizinga sells the team which was reported that he has done.

So what people are thinking is that Parcells may want out and he has the ability to get out based on the reported out clause.

Mort this morning was saying the contract was 3 mil a year for 4 years and the out clause if the fins are sold and apparently that sale will be final today. Parcells can then use the clause to walk away getting the rest 9 mil left on the contract. The clause states that Parcells has to report only to Huizenga. Now the new owner can renegotiate that clause with Parcells on a year by year basis to see how the job will work for him moving forward. Sounds more like the sensible thing to do for Parcells if he likes living in Miami and since he's not making any trips to see the road games, you have to figure he likes staying in Miami.
Quote:

Definitely, I bet he already has turned the Browns down.
Posted By: Fletch Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:45 PM
Just to catch you up since you missed it in my posts:

Quote:

This clause in his contract has been in his contract everr since his days with New England. Every year he can opt out does he? No. Like I said speculating right now is foolish wait till it's fact and you'll see me hollering for him over anyone else mentioned thus far, but I will wait and not "hope" for something Parcells hasn't even decided on.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:46 PM
i dont think he will either.....id like to have a coach like him but i dont know if he could handle that much responsibilty. plus hearing him talk about pittsburgh he is still in love with his black and gold and im pretty sure the brown and orange is still his hated rival
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:46 PM
Quote:

Were gonna get Pace

As per our conversation yesterday.............WE GOTTA GET THAT GUY!

Hey, RAC is a nice guy and I'm sure he gave it his best. But he's just not NFL HC material.

Good luck to him wherever he lands his DC gig.

Or I pity the fan base where he's hired as a HC.

Which ever way it goes.
Posted By: christy Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:46 PM
Quote:

I have heard him say in an interview that although he will "never say never" to coaching again, that it would DEFINITELY not be this coming season.
Quote:

Quote:

I hear Romeo Crennel is available. He's familiar with the Browns and runs a 3-4.

Posted By: Fletch Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:48 PM
I left out the Miami living area but he does make his home in Florida, this is the place Bill Parcells drives to after the season to contemplate his next move since his contracts always have opt out clauses.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hear Romeo Crennel is available. He's familiar with the Browns and runs a 3-4.

We gotta get that guy!

I also hear there is a draft guru that got fired. We should get that guy too!
My guess as coach will be:

Jim Schwartz.

He started here in Cleveland, and is not defensive coordinator for a Tennessee Titan team that has a great defense. Perfect right?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:50 PM
Jim Schwartz?

Oh yeah, that will excite the fan base.....

I have a feeling we're going to be pretty hot on Spagnuolo.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:51 PM
my exact thoughts
Posted By: YOGI Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:52 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! Now that's how to handle this situation. With sarcastic humor. Thanks made me laugh.
Quote:

That is the only coordinator I really want.
Just got a link to some speculation:

Link

Quote:

Schwartz to be next Browns coach?
Titans Defense - TM - TEN - Dec. 28 - 6:45 pm et
An NFL executive told the Cleveland Plain Dealer's Terry Pluto that he believes the Browns will hire Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz as their next head coach.
Romeo Crennel figures to be fired on Black Monday. Browns GM Phil Savage is already out. Schwartz was nearly hired by the Redskins last offseason before owner Dan Snyder surprised everyone by going with Jim Zorn. Schwartz was also in the mix for head gigs Atlanta and Miami last winter. Dec. 28 - 6:45 pm et
Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

To see more Titans Defense news items click here...
To see more NFL news items click here...

Posted By: Dawgbone Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think Randy will make another mistake like that....But then again,,,,, practice makes perfect...
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:56 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Why no love for Rex Ryan ??
No need to get another AFC North guy to come here...

That needs to stop.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 03:58 PM
Ditka
Quote:

Just got a link to some speculation:

Well here's some more then. Mort just gets to throw out every scenario that MIGHT be possible I guess . . .

http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl

Browns | Team on Parcells' radar
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 06:01:32 -0800

Chris Mortensen, of ESPN.com, reports the Cleveland Browns could be on Miami Dolphins executive vice president of football operations Bill Parcells' radar should Parcells opt out of his contract with the team in the offseason.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Why no love for Rex Ryan ??

It depends. Who does he bring in for Offensive Coordinator?

I would really like to get someone who has a smash mouth mentality. Get rid of this pass happy crap. Build a great defense and running game.
Posted By: SpiderDog Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:00 PM
Thanks, Turk. It's hard to believe that anyone can speculate on a head coach when we haven't hired a GM.

However, in the head coaching carousel, I think that Schwartz is second or third on the list, and the Browns are second or third in the pecking order of coaching opportunities. That is probably why his name is matched with us.
What teams are higher in the pecking order than us?
Quote:

Probably the Redskins and maybe the Jets.
Are the Redskins going to let Zorn go? And I don't know if many coaches would want to go to the Jets. You have to deal with Favre and the NY media, which I have a feeling is worse than the Cleveland media.
yea...

He gets my nod though. We need to get a defensive minded guy BACK in here. It should help right?

Defense wins games. The Bears proved it last week, and the Eagles proved it yesterday.

And someone else commented on the running game. Man it would be nice to have a two head monster here. I envy Carolina.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:07 PM
Quote:

Let Randy hire a newbie!

Watch his profits pummel! This fan base is SICK of damned EXPERIMENTS!

He better bring in a veteran HC this time! Experiments?

Three strikes and your OUT!
Posted By: urbrowns Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:07 PM
Quote:

Jim Schwartz?

Who cares? I'd rather have the solid choice then the exciting choice. Winning excites me, I don't need a big name. Look at the Falcons, their HC choice certainly wasn't "exciting" but I bet winning 11 games and making the playoffs has been thrilling!
Quote:

I would think K.C. and the NYJets would be up there.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:10 PM
hey what about that coach from north carolina....ahh whats his name again? he would be perfect here haha
Posted By: Bones Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:10 PM
Just reported on ESPN that Lerner met with Cowher on Saturday and Cowher is NOT interested in the coaching position with the Browns, according to Mortensen.
I had forgotten about KC. But I guess I was thinking teams that have an opening right now.
Parcells..really..dude jumps around more than a frog on a pond full of lilly pads..
Quote:

Are the Redskins going to let Zorn go? And I don't know if many coaches would want to go to the Jets. You have to deal with Favre and the NY media, which I have a feeling is worse than the Cleveland media.

Zorn is as good as gone. He had a great year, until he lost like, 5 straight games.

Snyder is extremely demanding, almost Jerruh Jones like.
Quote:

Look at the Falcons, their HC choice certainly wasn't "exciting" but I bet winning 11 games and making the playoffs has been thrilling!

I don't think people should be so quick to think the new coaches in Atlanta, Baltimore, Miami, hell, even Pittsburgh are saviors that will be around for years to come.
Quote:

Parcells..really..dude jumps around more than a frog on a pond full of lilly pads..

And creates winning teams.

Who wouldn't want Parcells?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:13 PM
just clicking, 'holic. I'm glad RAC is gone.
Romeo is a good guy, but not a good head coach. I wish him luck, he was never anything but classy in Cleveland.
Quote:

yea...

He gets my nod though. We need to get a defensive minded guy BACK in here. It should help right?

Uh, Romeo is a defensive minded guy. And our defense blows.
Quote:

Like seriously...

If Lerner wants continuity... He's gonna have to go with a coordinator, and/or a coach that hasn't been in the league since Montana won his last super bowl.

The old heads that are mentioned won't be here long... So whats the point on bringing them to Cleveland? An off season thrill?
Posted By: Squires Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:15 PM
web page

Cowher tells Browns he's not interested; Pioli to be interviewed for GM position
by Mary Kay Cabot
Monday December 29, 2008, 10:39 AM

BEREA - Browns owner Randy Lerner said today that former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher told him he was not interested in joining the Browns.

Lerner met with the media this morning to announce that Romeo Crennel has been fired as head coach.

Speculation for his replacement had been centered on Cowher for several weeks, but Lerner said Monday that he met with Cowher on Saturday night and that Cowher said he would not return to coaching in 2009 and asked Lerner to take him off the Browns list of candidates.

Cowher told Lerner that he was comfortable with his lifestyle in North Carolina at this time.

Lerner said he's already asked for permission to talk to New England Patriots Executive Vice President Scott Pioli and that he'll focus on the general manager role next.

Lerner also said he's receiving permission to talk to another unnamed NFL exec. He appeared interested when informed that Eric Mangini had been fired by the New York Jets this morning. Mangini, a former Browns employee, worked with Pioli in New England.

Crennel, 61, was fired after going 24-40 in his four seasons at Browns head coach. He had three years left on his contract, which had been extended in January after he guided the Browns to a 10-6 record and just missed the playoffs.

But things fell apart this season, starting with injuries to several key players, including quarterback Derek Anderson and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, both Pro Bowl performers the previous season.

Midway through the season Crennel benched Anderson in favor of Brady Quinn, but the struggles continued, especially after Quinn suffered a broken finger that ended his season. Anderson returned and promptly suffered a season-ending knee injury. With Ken Dorsey and free agent Bruce Gradkowski at quarterback, the Browns failed to scored an offensive touchdown over the final six games, establishing an NFL record, and finished with 4-12, marking the fifth time in the past six years that they had at least 10 losses.

Throughout the season Browns players voiced their support of Crennel.

Crennel came to the Browns after several seasons as defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots under Bill Belichick. He has been part of five Super Bowl championships with the Patriots and New York Giants.
Post deleted by poundawg
Don't you get it?
Once he's performed the task, he leaves..who wants that??
Quote:

Hopefully my wife!
Quote:

Don't you get it?

And I'm saying who cares? Is there any doubt in your mind that Parcells would build a winner here?

I want to win, no matter what, and Parcells is one guy who wins pretty much everywhere.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:18 PM
cowhers decision
I just want everyone to change their Cowher sigs.

Thanks.. I would greatly appreciate it!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:20 PM
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was just on ESPN that Lerner and Cowher met in NYC on Saturday and Cowher listened but declined.. so yeah, he's not coming here.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:20 PM
GM Pioli
HC Mangini

What do you think about that?
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:20 PM
I don't really know a lot about Mangini. What does he bring to the table?
Quote:

GM Pioli
HC Mangini

I would love it. Pioli would know what Mangini would need, he knows his style.

They would work very well together. Probably should be target #1.
Mangini didn't seem all that to me... I mean whats the difference b/w him and Romeo?

It's good that he has some coaching experience, but I never saw him in the players arse on the sidelines. He seemed pretty calm and collective.

How would he be with the younger players?
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:24 PM
i sure would like to be 9-7 instead of 4-12 thats a start right there.....he wins football games Rac didnt do that
Well obviously you don't.
I do care ..
I on the one hand while wanting a winner..don't have need for a one hit wonder..then Parcells is gone and you have to look for a new GM..
Please spare me the drama.
Quote:

Well obviously you don't.
I do care ..
I on the one hand while wanting a winner..don't have need for a one hit wonder..then Parcells is gone and you have to look for a new GM..
Please spare me the drama.

To each his own, I guess.

I really can't say no to the greatest football mind in the NFL right now. No matter how long he is here.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:29 PM
Quote:

Who cares?

Probably Lerner. Since 99 we've tried THREE such "experiments". NOBODY out there has any more credentials than RAC had when he came here. How did that work out again? From a business standpoint, do you think Lerner WANTS to "make money"? You think "experiment #4 will do that? If so, think again.

Quote:

I'd rather have the solid choice then the exciting choice. Winning excites me, I don't need a big name.

Butch was a winner. RAC was a winner. How did that pan out again?

Quote:

Look at the Falcons, their HC choice certainly wasn't "exciting" but I bet winning 11 games and making the playoffs has been thrilling!

Look Bud, take all the first time HC's in the NFL that FAILED compared to the one's that succeeded. We've had THREE FAILURES IN A ROW and you're advocating a fourth?

Good luck with that. I know I'll keep my wallet closed for that one!
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:30 PM
he turned it around in miami
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:35 PM
Quote:

I don't think so either....but we are going to talk to him...at least that is what I read...so as long as he hasn't said no, i suppose there is some slim chance.
You missed it, he said no on Saturday, just reported.
He said no on Saturday according to the articles above.
Quote:

he turned it around in miami

Their running game turned it around.
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:37 PM
he already said no saturday night
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:37 PM
Quote:

I don't think so either....but we are going to talk to him...at least that is what I read...so as long as he hasn't said no, i suppose there is some slim chance.

already been reported that lerner and he spoke on Saturday and he declined to consider any offer to coach the Browns.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:38 PM
And after further reading, I see he isn't.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:39 PM
Quote:

You missed it, he said no on Saturday, just reported.

I didn't miss it....just hadn't got to it yet!
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:39 PM
we should just bring back butch davis at least we made a playoff with him here hehehe
Posted By: Dawgbone Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:41 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:42 PM
In the words of Monty Python (I hope) "and now for something completely different." RAC, I am sorry this didn't work out better, and I am sure success will come one day. I thank you for the hard work and feel you have been a class act who led by example and for whom player character was vital. I applaud that notion in the days of football that also give us PacMan and that ilk. The pressure is off. Best of luck in all future endeavors. Go Browns!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:43 PM
Quote:

What's so funny??
Quote:

we should just bring back butch davis at least we made a playoff with him here hehehe

You're grounded for even suggesting such a thing.
Posted By: Dawgbone Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:45 PM
Quote:

Quote:

What's so funny??

bring back Butch....
Quote:

Quote:

You're grounded for even suggesting such a thing.

No football in 2009 for you mister!!!!
Posted By: Tubby_Dawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:47 PM
haha.....so it will be like this year then no football hahaha
If Parcells would stay through the length of his contract I would not question it.
But he reminds me of the guy who can have any girl he wants..usually they don't settle down..they just date this and that..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 04:48 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's so funny??

bring back Butch....

OK....you had me quoted..I couldn't figure it out...now I get it.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/cowher_tells_browns_hes_not_in.html

Updated 11:26 a.m.

BEREA - Browns owner Randy Lerner said today that former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher told him he was not interested in joining the Browns.

Lerner met with the media this morning to announce that Romeo Crennel has been fired as head coach.

Lerner said he's receiving permission to talk to another unnamed NFL exec. He appeared interested when informed that Eric Mangini had been fired by the New York Jets this morning. Mangini, a former Browns employee, worked with Pioli in New England. Lerner admitted he's interested in Mangini, who began his career here under Bill Belichick. Lerner also said there's a chance Crennel could remain with the Browns as an assistant coach.

Speculation for his replacement had been centered on Cowher for several weeks, but Lerner said Monday that he met with Cowher on Saturday night and that Cowher said he would not return to coaching in 2009 and asked Lerner to take him off the Browns list of candidates.

Cowher told Lerner that he was comfortable with his lifestyle in North Carolina at this time.

Lerner said he's received permission to talk to New England Patriots Executive Vice President Scott Pioli and that he'll focus on the general manager role next.

Lerner said he met with Cowher in New York.

"I got word that he was available for an informal conversation because he was very aware I had him at the top of the list, getting involved with the Browns," Lerner said. "He wanted to tell me personally that he did not anticipate coaching in 2009. I wouldn't say Bill Cowher was the first choice, but I would say Cowher was the clear, no-questions-asked, guy you wanted to ask where he stood."

Lerner said the two never even discussed any financial aspects.

Crennel, 61, was fired after going 24-40 in his four seasons at Browns head coach. He had three years left on his contract, which had been extended in January after he guided the Browns to a 10-6 record and just missed the playoffs.

But things fell apart this season, starting with injuries to several key players, including quarterback Derek Anderson and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, both Pro Bowl performers the previous season.

Midway through the season Crennel benched Anderson in favor of Brady Quinn, but the struggles continued, especially after Quinn suffered a broken finger that ended his season. Anderson returned and promptly suffered a season-ending knee injury. With Ken Dorsey and free agent Bruce Gradkowski at quarterback, the Browns failed to scored an offensive touchdown over the final six games, establishing an NFL record, and finished with 4-12, marking the fifth time in the past six years that they had at least 10 losses.

Throughout the season Browns players voiced their support of Crennel.

Crennel came to the Browns after several seasons as defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots under Bill Belichick. He has been part of five Super Bowl championships with the Patriots and New York Giants.

------------
Uhhhh, this sounds like a poor choice. Why would he possibly hire Mangini? He only has 3 years experience as a HC and has a LOSING record. 23-25 for the regular season and 0-1 for the post season. BOO!
Hmmm, I guess there's not going to be a 12PM press conference today.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 05:18 PM
Quote:

No football in 2009 for you mister!!!!

That would make it a lot ike 2008...
Quote:

Lerner said he's receiving permission to talk to another unnamed NFL exec. He appeared interested when informed that Eric Mangini had been fired by the New York Jets this morning. Mangini, a former Browns employee, worked with Pioli in New England. Lerner admitted he's interested in Mangini, who began his career here under Bill Belichick. Lerner also said there's a chance Crennel could remain with the Browns as an assistant coach.

I will say, I like the way Randy Lerner is going about his search for a coach and GM. He was moving on after talking with Cowher realizing you can't wait around because there are a lot of other teams looking for GMs and HCs.

After Saturday's meet with Cowher we can scratch him and move on to the Patriots.
Quote:

Hmmm, I guess there's not going to be a 12PM press conference today.

Guess not...I thought there was going to be one too.
i thought i read that there was going to be one today as well?
Not for nothing, but I just happened to look at the Browns main site and they already have taken RAC's and Savages names off the coaching and front office directory....

So much for taking thier time after the season
where can you go to see who is all ready avalible and who will be for gm and hc?
Quote:

Uhhhh, this sounds like a poor choice. Why would he possibly hire Mangini? He only has 3 years experience as a HC and has a LOSING record. 23-25 for the regular season and 0-1 for the post season. BOO!

Belichick was 20-28 after his first 3 seasons as head coach.
Tubby, you just gotta hunt around. I don't know of a site that lists everyone..

Some that I'm aware of for GM:

Floyd Reese
Scott Pioli (sp)
Marty Schottenheimer (he mentioned that he might like a spot like that)
Ernie Arcorsi has been bantered about, but he's retired,,
Ron Wolf is another one.

For coach:
Schottenheimer again
Mangini
Josh McDaniels
Russ Grimm (nobody mentioned it, I've just been thinking about it)
Rex Ryan

Now that Mangini is out in NY, could that free up Schottenheimers son Brian?

The list goes on and on. For me, I want someone that has already proven successful as a GM and HC. I'm kinda tired of experimenting...

In the end however, we may be forced to take on a guy that has no HC experience. it might happen.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 05:52 PM
Quote:

Cowher said he would not return to coaching in 2009 and asked Lerner to take him off the Browns list of candidates.

Finally, an end to the nonsense.

RAC, Phil, it didn't work out, but at least you got us back on the road to respectability as an organization with at least some talent to rebuild with. We'll see how it goes from here.

The last thing I wanted was square one, but after this season of shame, it's the only place we can legitimately begin. I've never hated being a Browns fan more, and that really sucks. Optimism about a new regime and new coaching staff? Yeah, right. Talk to me after we've won a couple playoff games. I'm so sick of this BS.
J/C

Let's not forget that the NFL is a copy-cat league as I have so often heard this year from many different talking heads. After listening to Kosar explain to WTAM that Lerner is going to leave no stone unturned, I expect that we will have a no-name head coach come in, a la Miami, Baltimore, and Atlanta.

Let's just hope we see the same results!
"I will say, I like the way Randy Lerner is going about his search for a coach and GM."

As opposed to what,quitting?
I was hoping Little Randy had someone in place before the firing of Savage,I was wrong.
Qualified GM's aren't just floating around out there the way HC candidates are.
We'll end up with another 1st timer,and hope he'll grow into his role.If he doesn't,we'll be doing this again in 3 or 4 years,and then again after that,so on and so on.
Posted By: kingodawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 07:04 PM
Quote:

GM Pioli
HC Mangini

I like it

KING
Quote:

I was hoping Little Randy had someone in place before the firing of Savage,I was wrong.

Worthwhile candidates aren't going to play it that way. There would also, deservedly, be little or no trust between the candidate and the owner if he did go behind his current GM's back.

It is best to play it above board.

Lerne obviously decided that it was time to move on from Savage. It makes no difference who is available ..... that fact wasn't going to change.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 07:26 PM
This from the front page of the main site

Quote:

Browns announce changes
The Browns have just announced that a change has been made at the general manager and head coaching positions.

Stay tuned to ClevelandBrowns.com throughout the day for more.

STATEMENT FROM PHIL SAVAGE

"I would like to thank Randy Lerner for giving me the opportunity to work for the Cleveland Browns over these past four seasons," said Savage. "Things did not go as well as we had expected, particularly in 2008, however, I do anticipate this team bouncing back and having success in the future."

STATEMENT FROM ROMEO CRENNEL

"I would like to thank Randy Lerner for giving me the opportunity to coach the Cleveland Browns. Some progress was made in my four years here, but not enough to go forward in this position."

"The support from the community and the fans has been greatly appreciated. Though this past year has been tough, my experience in Cleveland has been a good one. I did not win enough games so I must move on. Thank you for the opportunity."

Just for your reading pleasure
Posted By: dawg531 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 07:30 PM
Quote:

Good Luck Romeo...

I for one will miss you being here in Cleveland.

i echo that.

Now-help us win in whatever capacity you can, cause i know you are a stand up guy. Lerner is keeping you for the same reason-just because you didnt lead us to the promised land on the sideline, doesnt mean you cant from the office!
Lerner has ‘strong commitment’ to making Browns a winner

By Zac Jackson
ClevelandBrowns.com Staff Writer

Browns Owner Randy Lerner said late Monday morning that relieving General Manager Phil Savage and Head Coach Romeo Crennel of their duties are part of the organization’s “very strong commitment to get it right” and strengthening the Browns for the purpose of turning the team into a consistent winner.

Lerner said he feels the Browns are an attractive destination for prospective candidates and that he plans to begin the search for replacements as soon as later today.

“I think we need to be as nimble and move as quickly as we possibly can,” he said.

Though there’s no set plan, Lerner said prefers to hire a front office, “non-coaching executive” first. He’s already requested permission to speak to Scott Pioli of the Patriots and one other person he declined to name until he receives confirmation that permission has been granted.

On Saturday night, Lerner had a “very informal” meeting with Bill Cowher and Cowher made it “very clear…that he did not anticipate coaching in 2009” and asked not to be included on the Browns’ list of candidates.

“(Cowher) wasn’t coy; he spoke very clearly,” Lerner said. “He was very well prepared to describe his situation and his position. It wasn’t a dance.”

Lerner said he’s not ruling anything out, including further pursuit of Cowher or hiring a coach before hiring the front-office person.

“I don’t want to be boxed into a formula or a set approach,” he said.

Lerner said Crennel “was a gentleman through and through” during their Monday morning meeting and said that Crennel would consider a return to the Browns as an assistant coach under the right circumstances.

He said the decision to release Savage came about during conversations the two had over the last couple of weeks.

“We talked about change and about strengthening the organization,” Lerner said. “It became very clear that our management styles were not going to be adequately compatible going forward.”

Lerner said the Browns’ assistant coaches remain under contract and could return under the new head coach when he is hired.
Posted By: dong Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 07:33 PM
same. it just kills to see such a great person fall short.

i do wonder if he'll stay on board if we bring someone like pioli in. i'd still love to see a creative 3-4 defense with the personnel that he needs/wanted. one thing that was promising for the defense was that we are one of the top defenses (if not THE top defense) in takeaways
Though there’s no set plan, Lerner said prefers to hire a front office, “non-coaching executive” first. He’s already requested permission to speak to Scott Pioli of the Patriots and one other person he declined to name until he receives confirmation that permission has been granted.

Pioli and Reese would be the guys I would go after..

Lerner said the Browns’ assistant coaches remain under contract and could return under the new head coach when he is hired.
They'll last until the new guy comes in.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 07:40 PM
Quote:

...and said that Crennel would consider a return to the Browns as an assistant coach under the right circumstances.

I honestly don't see how this could work. If he came back in 5+ years maybe but if the new coach is a hardass then his former players will run to RAC and divide the locker room.

Quote:

Who? There aren't many I'd consider keeping. Don't just remove the toe, amputate the whole leg. This team needs an entire front office makeover.
As for the assistants, Lerner is just keeping things open. I doubt he's expecting many to stay on as new coaches generally bring in their own guys. However, it would do him no good to say "all the assistants are gone, too."
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 07:58 PM
Quote:

As for the assistants, Lerner is just keeping things open. I doubt he's expecting many to stay on as new coaches generally bring in their own guys. However, it would do him no good to say "all the assistants are gone, too."

Even though the season in over there are still things that need done and bye keeping the assistants on they can fill in & help out with things until the next new greatest coaching staff comes on board.

Cant get excited here, to old here, been thru this hope & happiness thing to many times, Show me the playoffs & a trophy and I'll be in your corner, but untill than the jury is still out.
Just a general comment .....

Romeo's exactly the kind f guy I would want working for me ....... just not as "the" boss. I think the can be very good at the details ...... but not so good at big picture thinking and planning.

A Coordinator handles details .... breaks down film .... studies opponents ..... and comes up with particular packages to try to defeat his opponent's unit. The head coach has to be above all of that .... trust in his people ..... add his imput where necessary ..... make the really big calls ..... and handle the overall team. (including its personality and personalities) It's a delicate balance ..... and a difficult role for many to take on. It's hard, after "being in the action" all the time to step back and handle the overall team. This is why there are so many successful coordinators who go on to be less than successful head coaches. On the surface it appears to be a similar job description ... but in reality, it's a world of difference.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 08:20 PM
Quote:

Now-help us win in whatever capacity you can, cause i know you are a stand up guy. Lerner is keeping you for the same reason-just because you didnt lead us to the promised land on the sideline, doesnt mean you cant from the office!

I know there was mention of RAC staying with the organization in some capacity.... the question is, has that been formalized and I just missed it.
Lerner said that there's a possibility of it. Other than that, nothing has been formalized.
Posted By: dong Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 08:29 PM
yea, i think it's supposed to depend on who we bring in.
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 08:31 PM
Quote:

I know there was mention of RAC staying with the organization in some capacity.... the question is, has that been formalized and I just missed it.

My take on the situation is Lerner has left the door open for RAC to return in some capacity if the situation works out for both him & the new coach. I dont think RAC will take that offer but it's a nice gesture by Randy in a way telling RAC, I appricate the way you handled all this crap and this isnt all your fault but something has to be done, I have to let you go, but wouldnt mind if you kept the idea open to doing somerthing else within the organization.
Posted By: FargoFan Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 08:37 PM
J/C. My guess is that if Pioli is offered the job, since he has ties to Crennel then there exists the possibility of RAC staying on board in some diminished role. Just a guess.
Posted By: MrDNA Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 08:38 PM
Guys who want a "proven head coach" here's the thing: with Cowher saying no (and IMO, thank goodness), who else is out there who has had a winning record?

Shotty
Billick

Those are the two I can think of. Mike Holmgren if he wants to come back to coaching. That plus the success of "no name" first year head coaches and I'm thinking it's 90% likely we'll get a guy who has either never been a head coach or never had success (i.e. Mangini-ugh). Personally, I don't care because every head coach who wins has to start somewhere. As long as they don't start here and win elsewhere!!
Posted By: ClayM57 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 08:46 PM
Quote:

Guys who want a "proven head coach" here's the thing: with Cowher saying no (and IMO, thank goodness), who else is out there who has had a winning record?

I'd prefer a proven Head coach, But Randy has fail to ask me about things in the past, I'm not holding my breath about this opening....

All I know is Randy has to get it right, proven or first time coach and your right, everybody starts somewhere, ...hey isnt Ditka avalible,
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 09:05 PM
Mangini turned the Jets around quickly. Had it not been for 9 int's in Favre's last five games, he would most likely be a playoff bound HC right now.

He's young, bright, innovative and has the youth needed to be here for the long haul.

I'd take that in a heartbeat.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 09:07 PM
Quote:

...hey isnt Ditka avalible,

Yes, but I wouldn't want to give up all of our first day picks just to pry Rickey Williams from the Phins!

Here's some more speculation. I think there's no way Lerner makes any coaching decisions w/out the new GM on board.

http://www.kffl.com/team/13/nfl

Browns | Team likely to contact Mangini
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:01:37 -0800

Tom Withers, of The Associated Press, reports Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner said he likely will contact former New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini about the team's vacant head coaching position.

Browns | McDaniels a candidate for head coach
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:01:10 -0800

Tom Withers, of The Associated Press, reports Cleveland Browns owner Randy Lerner said New England Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels is on his list of candidates for the team's vacant head coaching position.
Posted By: BrownsFanZ Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 09:11 PM
No, No, NO...I dont want a RAC v1.2...Mangini is just another Bellichick "yes man".

Get someone like Marty or go with Grimm/Spagnola....please, no more NE pitch offs. We've tried that route...it blew up in our faces. Go with a proven HC or get a fresh face.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 09:13 PM
Yeah, thanks fellas,,, that was my thinking but the way that one statement was worded, it almost sounded like the deal was done... OK, Thanks
Quote:

Quote:

...and said that Crennel would consider a return to the Browns as an assistant coach under the right circumstances.

I honestly don't see how this could work. If he came back in 5+ years maybe but if the new coach is a hardass then his former players will run to RAC and divide the locker room.

lol... Reminds me of the great movie "Remember the Titans"
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 09:20 PM
I'm with ya on this one .. just say no to Mangini ... Mac has made a couple of good posts about the bad blood between Mangini and Poli ...
Quote:

I'm with ya on this one .. just say no to Mangini ... Mac has made a couple of good posts about the bad blood between Mangini and Poli ...

What do you think about McDaniels?
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 09:53 PM
Quote:

Jim Schwartz?

May da Schwartz be wit you!

So RAC's out and they kept the entire staff "In case the next HC would want to keep them"? Yeah, I'm sure he'll want the whole crew!
How about Urban Meyer? - He's been successfull at every level, and is always prepared.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 10:05 PM
I have a better idea how about we hire paul johnson and get the tripple option in cleveland I could just imagine seeing brady break 50+ runs on pittsburghs D.
Not like it was a big surprise or anything...but damn. Adios Romeo and good luck. Let's just hope we get a coach that kicks ass and takes names!!!!!!
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 10:10 PM
Quote:

How about Urban Meyer? - He's been successfull at every level, and is always prepared.

His offenses produce...I think he's an Ohioan is he not?
Young enough to stick around for a while.

We talk experienced NFL coach and who's out there? And, if they were special why would they be unemployed?

Cowher has removed himself. Doesn't look like Marty is interested...who is left? I don't want a retread! I want a Chuck Knoll type tenure here!

We better start thinking outside the box a little!
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 10:14 PM
If Florida wins the national championship its definetly a possibility.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 10:15 PM
Mutt,, that's all well and good.. and I have no particular problem with Urban Meyer,,, But we've been down that road bringing in a highly touted big college coach... and frankly, I'm tired of that kind stuff.

We the fans need healing. The team needs healing, the organization needs healing.

We need a proven winner even if it's Marty Schottenheimer (where did you hear he wasn't interested, he did say he was happy but he didn't say he wouldn't consider it) and he can only coach for 3 or 4 years..

He could heal this team and set it up for years to come..

Another guy, retread if you want to call it that, is Dick Vermeil. Not as a coach, but perhaps as a GM... Think about that for a moment. Let him pick his coaching team.
A good guy takes the fall... So long Romeo, I wish you success whereever you go, and wish things had worked out better here.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 10:16 PM
Quote:

If Florida wins the national championship its definetly a possibility.

Pair him with a strong D coordinator (is this where RAC fits in) and it could work.

I'm just not willing to ride that old coaches carousel.
Meyer fits perfectly. - Give him 1 year, if he doesn't work, then Cowher may be interested.

I also love the idea of Dick Vermeil coming in as head coach.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 10:26 PM
j/c

Pioli
McDaniels
Quote:

Quote:

That's intriguing, McDaniels dad coached Warren so there's some NE Ohio ties . . . if you're in to that sort of thing . . .

In all honesty for me, Let's look at Russ Grimm or Tony Spagnoulo.

If we hired Pioli, I would hate to see him bring in a guy as coach just because he worked with him. For God's sake, take a look around first.
The only problem I have with looking at Steve Spagnuolo is that in NY he's run a 4-3 defense. Transitioning to a defense that doesn't offer as many looks as you can with a 3-4 and taking even longer to do it just doesn't appeal to me... He'll probably be an excellent coach elsewhere, but just does not seem to fit us right now...

No issues with the idea of interviewing Grimm, though I'm just not too sold on him not being an OC and just being a position coach. I would be excited about what we may be able to do for just hiring a strictly defensive guy to coordinate the defense.... but Grimm better have a sound vision, impress in the interview, and show that he's more than one dimensional and capable of making big roster, draft, and gameday decisions. There's alot I'm just not sure of with him...
Quote:

Quote:

You know what I think?

I think Randy is grasping for straws when he keeps looking at all these New England guy's. Yes they are successful but they have their own way of doing things and that does not neccessarily mean that it will work for us.

I'm just looking at the Romeo hire, wanting to hire Pioli, thinkng about hiring Mangini, thinking about hiring McDaniels.......

Come on Randy! We are not the Patriots! Man up and step outside the box!

Do a thourough search and hire a coach that has passion and motivation, an extremely high football IQ on both sides of the ball and can instill all those characteristics into his players.

Stop trying to take all the coaches and front office people away from the Patriots just because they have made it work there.

I don't like the McDaniels choice for the simple fact that the Patriots didn't even have an offensive coordinator for a whole year and I think that was the last year they won the Super Bowl. When are stupid owners and GM's in the NFL going to realize that the mad scientist behind the whole franchise is Bill Belicheck? How many coordinators have came and went and the Pats haven't missed a beat? Plus how many coordinators from the Pats have actually succeded? A big fat goose egg.
Why does it matter if he runs a 4-3? Thats the defensive coordinators job to run the defense.

Mike Tomlin comes from a Tampa 2 background but he's running a 3-4 perfectly fine in Pittsburgh because he knows that is what the team is built for.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 10:57 PM
Quote:

I think he's an Ohioan is he not?

I've seen this comment/question about several of the folks suggested for GM or HC.. and for the life of me, I still have no idea why it matters.
In theory, that can absolutely work... the only issue I have with that then is that there is no Dick Lebeau quality, PROVEN defensive coordinator out there ... that and the fact that Spagnuolo strikes me as a guy who has to be able to scheme and derive things himself, sort of like a mad scientist. He learned defense under Jim Johnson in Philly for about 5 years. He virtually will feel that he HAS to have a part in running the defense. It's in his blood, and he is a schemer... fat chance he's going to be content just giving things to a DC running a 3-4 as he takes no part in that...

Like the guy, don't get me wrong, but I don't think Cleveland is going to be his destination...
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 11:05 PM
Quote:

Quote:

I think he's an Ohioan is he not?

I've seen this comment/question about several of the folks suggested for GM or HC.. and for the life of me, I still have no idea why it matters.

It's quite obvious...We're just flat out the coolest!

It doesn't matter at all in the long run. We just assume he has good enough taste AS an Ohioan to be a Brown's fan and therefore pour his lifesblood into the franchise like many here have!
Posted By: FargoFan Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 11:06 PM
Thank you DC! I don't care if the next coach is from Timfrickenbucktoo as long as he wins! Ohio guy or not who gives a rats a**.

Just make it work. I'm tired of this retooling every 3 or 4 years.
I see what you are saying but when it comes down to it really the guy either wants to win as soon as possible or rebuild. And in this case he's gonna want to win asap so he would likely stick with what the team is built for. Theres no way the guy is a defensive coordinator in the NFL and doesn't know how to run a 3-4 defense, he just prefers a 4-3.

And in all reality I love a 3-4 myself but if we can be a better team running a 4-3 then so be it. It really wouldn't be hard to switch to a 4-3. We just need a couple players and some of the guy's we will need are staring us right in the face this free agency and draft.
Posted By: illegalmoe Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 11:12 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Jim Schwartz?

May da Schwartz be wit you!

So RAC's out and they kept the entire staff "In case the next HC would want to keep them"? Yeah, I'm sure he'll want the whole crew!

Yeah thats going to leave a mark.
Randy didn't tell them? "We're done with you. Go to the golf course and work on your putz."
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/29/08 11:44 PM
Quote:

And in all reality I love a 3-4 myself but if we can be a better team running a 4-3 then so be it. It really wouldn't be hard to switch to a 4-3. We just need a couple players and some of the guy's we will need are staring us right in the face this free agency and draft.

If you look at our personell on the defensive side, a 4-3 might be easier than most think. Williams and Rogers both played in a 4-3. Our linebackers are more 4-3 backers than 3-4 guys. I also believe it would be a lot easier finding a couple DE's for the 4-3 than continuing trying to convert 4-3 guys.

IMO with Rogers and Williams a solid base has been placed for the DL. Turn these guys loose to do what they have been doing sucessfully since being in the league. Guys like DQ and Bell could be great fits as 4-3 backers. Unless we sign big FAST LBs, the 3-4 in Cleveland will struggle.

Whoever we get as a GM, I hope speed is in their minds. Our defense looks slow and lumbering, while the top defenses all are very fast.
Quote:

If you look at our personell on the defensive side, a 4-3 might be easier than most think. Williams and Rogers both played in a 4-3. Our linebackers are more 4-3 backers than 3-4 guys. I also believe it would be a lot easier finding a couple DE's for the 4-3 than continuing trying to convert 4-3 guys.

IMO with Rogers and Williams a solid base has been placed for the DL. Turn these guys loose to do what they have been doing sucessfully since being in the league. Guys like DQ and Bell could be great fits as 4-3 backers. Unless we sign big FAST LBs, the 3-4 in Cleveland will struggle.

Whoever we get as a GM, I hope speed is in their minds. Our defense looks slow and lumbering, while the top defenses all are very fast.

I guess I disagree.

I think we are 2 OLB and ILB away from being a pretty decent defense. If we switched to a 4-3, we are 2 DE's and two OLB away from being a good defense.

But of course, that is JMO.
Robaire Smith was a DE in the 4-3.
Wimbley was a DE when he was in college. Have him put on about 15 pounds and put his hand down. He does it half the time anyway.
Maybe not the best DL, but playable.
If Hall can learn he could be a good outside backer with experience.
DQ and Bell.
JMHO though
Posted By: MrDNA Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/30/08 02:09 AM
Quote:

Why does it matter if he runs a 4-3? Thats the defensive coordinators job to run the defense.

Mike Tomlin comes from a Tampa 2 background but he's running a 3-4 perfectly fine in Pittsburgh because he knows that is what the team is built for.

LeBeau is the one who runs the defense, so of course Tomlin is OK with it
Posted By: SunDawg Re: Romeo Crennel officially out as coach - 12/30/08 02:13 AM
Quote:

I certainly hope that scenario doesn't play out!
I would think that Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams on the inside of a 4-3 would be quite a force. I don't know if we have the LBs at this point ..... but at least we'd only need 2 instead of 3.

I am a 3-4 guy at heart ...... but if we have to build around what we have .... the 4-3 might fit better.
Savage did it!
© DawgTalkers.net