DawgTalkers.net
Right now, Colts, Raiders, KC, Steelers (1), Dallas & Skins all seem potentially winnable. Do we take these games and squeak out one or two more surprise wins for a "shocking" seven-eight win season?

I'm picking the Giants Sunday as our first "surprise" win of the season. Of course, with them coming off a loss, this could be a blowout, but there's a reason Eli is the comeback king, they're always behind in the 4th Q. We have 10 days to prepare, and the team is showing some spark on offense and some solidity on D. We're due for one of these to go our way, and I guarantee the team and coaches do not want to go 0-5.

Or:

Is it possible we pick up a win against the Bengals at home?

Can we beat the Steelers twice? I know it sounds impossible, but is it really?

Which Charger team will show up, and will they look past the Browns?

What shape will Peyton and the Donks be in week 16? Could this be a surprise win if we hit them with a head of steam?

Or do we fold and end up somewhere near 2-14?
Quote:

Do we take these games and squeak out one or two more surprise wins

I'm not trying to be sarcastic, but which wins won't be a surprise? I think this team is showing promise and is capable of winning some games if they can keep the mistakes to a minimum but there is not a single game on our schedule that I can look at and say we SHOULD win... every win this year will be somewhat of a surprise.

However, of your list, yes some of those teams look a little more vulnerable than expected at the beginning of the year... of course KC is going to be tough as I just read that Brady Quinn may be getting some snaps since Cassell is playing so poorly... so we can't win that one.
Quote:

but which wins won't be a surprise?

I agree, but I put "surprise" in quotes, as I think the team is getting better week to week. Having said that, WRs dropping passes, very few holes being opened in the run game, and mediocre coaching all add up to a BIG problem. We still miss Taylor and Haden, and we have a huge hole at FS. Some of these things can be fixed this season, others can't. BUT, if not for a couple drops by Little & Norwood, or a couple exceptional plays by Ladarious Webb, we win that Ravens game. In that sense, we really only needed a couple things to go our way for a win, and on Sunday as we all know, anything can happen.
Quote:

In that sense, we really only needed a couple things to go our way for a win,

The story of our lives.. until somebody steps up and makes those plays, we will not win games.. unless we play a team that makes as many mistakes as we do. Heck, Philly tried as hard as they could.
i honestly believe we'll be fine this year. finish somewhere around 5-7 wins. as long as we continue to be competitive throughout and keep getting better, I think this is a good year for us.

it sucks that we have waited so long, but the youth actually looks competent for the most part.
Quote:

until somebody steps up and makes those plays, we will not win games.

That's what progress on a young team is all about, isn't it?
Quote:

Quote:

until somebody steps up and makes those plays, we will not win games.

That's what progress on a young team is all out, isn't it?

Yes, but we've had a "young team" for 13 years.
Quote:

Not really. For quite awhile it was an old team. And this is definitely the most talented team since the return.
Quote:

Quote:

Not really. For quite awhile it was an old team. And this is definitely the most talented team since the return.

I put it in quotes for that reason. I know we haven't always been young in age but we have, more often than not, still found ways to lose games, to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory... that part has remained consistent.
More wins?

I agree with most on here that this is an improved team and we should start seeing some promise with the future. However, I think we need to taper our expectations. Against the Giants front defensive 7, I believe you will see how vulnerable our guards can be (or how good they could potentially be).

I know most on here seem to think they are seeing progress (talent wise) when it comes to watching this team (myself included). How that translates into wins is another question. This team already laid an egg against one of the teams that I thought was a winnable game against Buffalo.

I think the real question is what Haslam see's in this team's future and how it impacts his decisions. Not being a Shurmer or Holmgren fan, I still don't want to see this thing blown up again as I believe it will stunt the growth of such a young team. What will it take this year to save the Shurmer/Holmgren party? 7 wins could save them.

Do I see 7 wins in this team for this year? Sorry fans, I hope I'm wrong but am already saying "wait til next year".
We could win some of these games, but I think Richardson has to get unleashed for that to happen.

The game is about playmakers. He's our only one.

I do kind of like the Browns this weekend to surprise the Giants, though. From what I have read, the locker room has stayed together and guys believe they are on the verge. I think they'll play hard. If we can get Richardson to give us 150+ yards, we could pull it out.

It would be nice if Little had a breakout game too, especially if Mass can't go.
Not to be a supreme cynic but at this point ANY win will feel like a surprise.
Problem I have is that we have the same discussions every year now since 99 .. Year in and year out .. Haslam is going to put His mark on the this Team fast and often .

PS: Had some great Walleye fish up on Devils lake this year
I think some of these games have been winnable thus far. Any wins would be welcome, surprise or no. I think we can beat some of these, but it means we will have to play above ourselves, and produce. But I am a foolish optimist, I suspect.
It's probably a foolishly optimistic thread.
Quote:

Quote:

In that sense, we really only needed a couple things to go our way for a win,

The story of our lives.. until somebody steps up and makes those plays, we will not win games.. unless we play a team that makes as many mistakes as we do. Heck, Philly tried as hard as they could.

I agree with the boldest +1000000

At some point somebody has to say F it and make something happen to help us win when we need it. Don't make excuses make plays. That is why you always see Pittsburgh winning big close games.
I think we can very realistically win 3 out of the next 5. We should beat indy and cincy. I think we have a good shot beating the ravens or chargers at home.

Towards the end of the schedule i think that we should beat pitt atleast once, and beat raiders, chiefs, and redskins. Thats 6-7 wins for the year.

It would be nice to take two from the steelers. I think this year is our best shot in awhile to do that.
I see no more than 3 to 4 wins on our schedule. We dug ourselves a nice 0-4 hole at this point. I'm thinking that the soonest that we get our first win is probably going to be when I see it in person in Indianapolis a few weeks from now. If we don't win that one, I'll honestly be surprised if we win before week 13 against the Raiders. I can't foresee a scenario where we don't pick in the top 3 in the 2013 draft. We have some potential on this team, but it's not a team that seems to know how to win, and the talent to win just isn't very developed.
To answer the question, A WIN would, in and of itself be more wins. Hope Paco is correct. If the group ever catches fire, it could be giddy. Too many are NOT ready to play and it will continue on game day until they "go to work" with a blue collar, lunch bucket mentality. And I can't wait.
We hung tough against cincy w/out haden and phil taylor. So I fully expect to beat them at home.
Raiders, Indy, KC, should be gimme games to us. As a whole we have been way more consistent and competitive than any of those 3 so far.
I honestly do believe we can maybe sneak both games from Pitt. They are down this year bigtime. Our Dline should dominate against their oline.

I would of like to see us at 2-2 but inexperience and young will lose close games. 6 wins isnt out the question. Thats .500 the rest of the year and the schedule eases up some.
The schedule has eased slightly. For a competitive team that is in need of some confidence, that can be a big difference but no one is gonna lay down for an 0fer team. Losing to the 0fer team gets coaches fired. If they can pull the upset against the Giants, it is really going to propel them in the confidence category.

We played 2 divisional road games and the giants game will end that 3 of 4 on the road stretch and then we usher in a 3 of 4 at home stretch. They need a confidence win and I think we match up very well against the Giants at least in the trenches.
Quote:

If they can pull the upset against the Giants, it is really going to propel them in the confidence category.

And don't forget the boost they will get when the cavalry comes (Joe H and Phil Taylor). These are two first round picks that are due back shortly and it will pick up the entire team. Beat the Giants and this team could start to get on a roll.

Whether or not we pull the upset against the Giants, I still think we will beat Cincy at home and beat the Steelers twice.
October 5th....and were 0 - 4 0 - 4.......three to four years into this last rebuilding thing, we had crammed down our throats and pryed from our wallets.....This is what we get for believing in them...

0 - 4 is what we get for being Patience

0 - ...***** 4...Common

What is going on down there, is anybody making these recievers catch balls, is anybody teaching these guys how to not jump off sides, is anybody teaching these Cornerback how to cover how to tackle....you'd think if somebody was teaching something we'd see improvement, but week after week it's the same, broken promises and hearing we battled...

It's October 5th hasent even had our first snow, not even a flurrie, heck we havent even had a hard frost and our season is pretty much over...OCTOBER 5TH......AND IT'S LOOK AHEAD TO THE DRAFT TIME ALREADY.....I havent even put the boat away for the winter yet and our Football season is pretty much over.....soooooo tried of this b...s...we keep getting fed year after year, im tired of being the laughing stock of the NFL, tired of hoping for a soft schedule or to catch a team on a bad week just so we can win a game here or there.....

IM SO TIRED OF PRAYING FOR A WIN WORRIED WEEK AFTER WEEK AFTER WEEK, JUST SO WE DONT GO 0-16.....GOD PLEASE DONT LET US GO 0-16....If you dont think it could happen, just remember Detroit & Tampa didnt think it would happen either, they both said they figured they'd pick up a win sooner or later and before they knew it the season was over...
Really?
This season was never about wins and loses as much as it was about improvement and quality of play. Weeden never took a snap under center and played in a division without defense. He was a panicky QB going to a high pressure division. He is standing tall in the pocket and taking the hit to deliver the ball and he is moving around a bit inside the pocket now.

Richardson missed all of training camp and still doesn't have his great initial burst that made him such a stud in college. He is great once he gets going but it takes him a little longer to get it going now.

The TE position has been a injury ridden disaster. They are just now starting to get healthy.

Our receivers need work but there is improvement Benjamin is 100% improved from college. Mo has dramatically improved his game. Norwood had a bad week and Gordon is the project.

Little is struggling but it is a confidence thing, it isn't necessarily a bad hands thing. If he is getting blasted or the defender hanging on him, he is making the catches. He is an emotional player,those guys are always streaky and
we just need him to get it going in the positive direction.

Defensively, we have lost Taylor, Haden, Gocong and JMJ. Sheldon is playing injured and we are covering the #1 receiver with our #3 corner. The thing is this group is playing some pretty good football. I think they are on the verge of being a special defense. Still need that blindside pass rusher however.

Anyway, I feel pretty good about where this team is at. We have gone from embarrassment to highly competitive. Now we just have to go from highly competitive to winner.
Quote:

three to four years into this last rebuilding thing

or 2 years.

look, Holmgren made a HUGE mistake not firing Mangini. he should have been able to sit down with him after that season, figure out that they are just not on the same page to even try to make things work, and moved on while exuding praises and apologizing that he had to let him go after only 1 year.

however, until Mangini was gone, the entire offense was different. we were still in a 3-4. you cannot start that timetable until Holmgren hired his guys.

--------------------

note: none of that is excusing the mistake. Haslam has every right to come here, look at Holmgren and say the results on the field do not match expecations and let him go. if he does, a big part of that will be on Holmgren not starting his clock as soon as possible.

also, Haslam may get here and talk with Holmgren and staff and not be on the same exact page. he better recognize Holmgren's previous mistake and let them all go if that is the case. we need trust and everyone working together from the grounds crew to the owner's box.
well said.
when was the last time you could say the Browns roster on Sunday was more
talented than the team they were playing that day?
When was the last time the Browns had better coaches than coaches on the other sideline?
every year,its the same old messages. "We aren't even expected to make the playoffs"
"it was never about winning this year"
funny how the rest of the AFC North teams aspirations and goals are totally different than the Browns going into the season.
every team the Browns play this year,if they win,it will be considered a "upset"
how often are the Browns the favored team going into Sunday?
It comes down to talent.
how many players do the Browns start on gameday or really "starter" material for a playoff team?
Haden
Rubin
Jackson
Richardson
this roster has too many players playing as starters that should be back ups.
too many players from Heckerts draft classes of 2010-11 are not making that jump in their 2nd years.
Holmgrens plan simply did not work.
Heckert has added some legit NFL talent since becoming GM.
But his 1st draft did provide enough difference makers on Sunday.
He hit on Haden and missed on everyone else.
look at the Browns 2010 Draftees and the Patriots 2010 Draftees.
the Pats hit on more players in that single draft than Heckert did in 2 drafts.
the Browns are about 4-6 players away from becoming a playoff team.
but drafting players that turn out to be average at best won't get it done.
ignoring proven talent in FA won't get it done
Quote:

too many players from Heckerts draft classes of 2010-11 are not making that jump in their 2nd years.

Again? Really? After I shut you up about this in you last rant and never got a response? I'm still waiting for that 2nd year jump with Ravens and Steelers players...I'll keep throwing facts your way until you shut up and make stuff up without being able to prove anything you blurb out

You'll cherry pick a player here or a good draft class from another team there to "prove" your "point", but the moment I dish out the WHOLE draft classes and compare them to Heckert's you don't have the onions to answer anymore..very classy

You've officially earned the title of "Mr. the grass is always greener"
you didn't shut me up..but go ahead and play "Mr.Enforcer" on a message board. whatever.
see the Ravens and Steelers draft so good,they can afford to wait a little longer for their players to make that transistion from "drafted player" to "difference maker"
and BTW,the Ravens and Steelers don't draft "projects" at WR like Little and Gordon.
no they find gems like Antonio Brown and Torrey Smith.
they don't spend 4th RD picks on a FB that has all the tenacity of a Care Bear.
see the Ravens and Steelers can afford to miss on mid to late RD pick.
the Browns can't.
Heckert had to draft players that could make impacts the sooner the better in order to close the gap.
But no,his drafts have been littered with one All-Pro Pro Bowl calibur player Haden and a bunch of misses and backups that happen to be starting cause the Browns are non factors in the FA market.
going back to 2010, compare Heckerts drafts to the rest of the AFC North.
he's 4th in a 4 team race.
you doubt me...whats the Browns record vs the AFC North in that timespan?
how many Browns that he drafted could start for other AFC North teams? very few
You cited the great players these teams find in the mid rounds and we don't...then I gave you their mid rounders and you DID shut up all of a sudden and while continuing to post in that thread, never even tackled my answer despite me calling you out....well, it probably was the smartest thing to do considering the hard evidence against your jibberish

If only 2010 to 2012 draft picks would play, the Browns and Bengals would demolish the Steelers and Ravens...not even close...our team NOW basically IS those draft classes and we already play them up to the last minute...what we miss and why we lose is we don't have a Pola, Roethli, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis etc from previous regimes and many other solid vets those teams still depend on...just field the last 3 draft classes and we eat them up alive, esp. the Steelers

Remember that boom or bust WR from Texas the Steelers "stole" in round 2? I think it was the Mendenhall draft...he was so bad I forgot his name, he was a 1st round talent and the everyone but me congratulated the Steelers for yet another steal...same this season with Adams and DeCastro....Steelers will be a basement team for a long time once Pola and Roethli hang it up or don't have it anymore....we have already dominated the trenches against them for the past 2 seasons, but the difference in QB talent in particular made up for that...with Weeden to make them pay and improving, I expect wins coming our way the next seasons and as soon as this season vs the Steelers...hell, even the Raiders looked like a dominant passing Offense against them
who from the Browns 2010 Draft Class is so great?
Haden....thats about it.
the Browns have never dominated the trenches vs the Steelers in recent memory.
Except that one game on Thursday night a couple years ago. That was awesome.
Limas Sweed is the WR you're thinking of
seems like the Browns have drafted too many Limas Sweeds.
the Steelers missed on him,but made up for it with Wallace,Sanders and Brown.
I look at the Browns WRs and right now I don't see one that has "gamechanger"
"difference maker" written all over him. Benjamin is intriqing. He's pretty fast.
They need to get him in space more and do some damage.
Gordon has a high ceiling. he's raw.
But they need a WR that can take over a game ala A.J Green,Roddy White.
Josh Gordon's ceiling is a game changer because of his size and athleticism. However like you said, he is raw.
Quote:

Josh Gordon's ceiling is a game changer because of his size and athleticism. However like you said, he is raw.

he is raw, but from what we have seen of him (extremely limited) he has very good hands.

unlike Little who is/was also raw, but with bad hands to boot.
We are the ONLY team in the NFL that is 0-5.Haven't won ONE game.We have been rebuilding since 1999.That's all we have heard........"rebuilding".So sick of watching this team lose.It's always....we were close.Only lost by one or two points.How about winning by one or two?I'm done venting now.....Continue on.
Quote:

We are the ONLY team in the NFL that is 0-5.Haven't won ONE game.We have been rebuilding since 1999.That's all we have heard........"rebuilding".So sick of watching this team lose.It's always....we were close.Only lost by one or two points.How about winning by one or two?I'm done venting now.....Continue on.

last year it wasn't we were so close.

i agree that the losing gets old. easier to take with the defense blowing it rather than the offense (just aesthetically) but we really need to win a few here.
I think this team may finally win a game when...wait for it....McCoy is inserted into the lineup....I see Weeden making the same boneheaded throws week in and week out...i count 5 times Yesterday weeden threw into TRIPLE coverage...he should have been picked 3 more times yesterday.....Weeden is another Jeff George.....a QB with a strong arm and no brains....

IMO Colt McCoy has a "better chance" of being a quality NFL starting QB then Weeden does....Colt McCoy is a "young" Matt Hasselbeck...similar size, simliair arm strength, etc...your forgetting it took Hasselbeck 4 years to develop (3 of those years on the Green Bay bench)...it didn't happen overnight.

I only say this because being mobile is a BIG PART of the WCO and Qb in general...Joe Montanta was mobile, Steve Young was mobile, Donovon McNabb was mobile, Rothlisberger is mobile, Flacco is mobile, I could go on.

what McCoy lack in arm strength in comparison to Weeden he more then makes up for in decision making....not to mention Colt McCoy has never lost 4 straight games in his pro career. The reason McCoy had a bad year last year was because of no camp and learning a new playbook, the whole O struggled.....and no running game at all. The Previous year Colt McCoy played well for a rookie under Mangini.

I fully believe Weeden will play himself right out of a job....because when Shurmur seats begins getting extremely hot in the next few weeks he won't have any choice. you could clearly see the frustration on shurmur's face yesterday, and in his press conference Shurmur threw Weeden under the bus....shurmur is getting fed up with weeden's penchant for throwing god awful INTS....

What little i got to see at training camp, Colt McCoy has improved on his arm strength (his shoulder is probably finally 100% this year, it wasn't last year) and he seems to have a much better grasp of the offense, and his ball placement was for sure improved.

mark my words...colt McCoy will get another shot this year, and when he does many of you will eat crow.....
Quote:

I think this team may finally win a game when...wait for it....McCoy is inserted into the lineup

thanks KoB. i missed your crazy swings of emotion in the gameday threads.
i'm chalking this one up to pure emotion of the 0-5 start.
Quote:

Quote:

I think this team may finally win a game when...wait for it....McCoy is inserted into the lineup

Well, it is nice to have a good laugh after 5 losses.
Quote:

Quote:

its not a "crazy swing of emotions" i think you misunderstand what i mean....let me be more clear.

"right now" Weeden looks like Jeff George...BUT i think a big part of that is simply "Weeden is not ready" yet......just putting Weeden out there just because he is the 1st rd pick, just because you like his arm may not necessarily be the right move.

Weeden needed "more time" to develop....this organization should have started the season with McCoy...if McCoy played well, great...it gives Weeden more time to develop...if McCoy struggled, then week 4 or week 5 you go with your rookie...the point is in both cases it gives Weeden "more time" to develop....more time to absorb the NFL game.

i think Brandon Weeden "could" develop into an NFL QB....but right now he just isn't ready...and age aside him sitting half the year would not be the end of the world, it would probably help his development a ton. Its kinda like they planned to sit McCoy his rookie year but he got thrusted in due to injury....

The point im trying to get to is....it takes 3 years for a Qb to develop in the NFL...its year 3 you will know if he is going to be the QB you can go with or not, We had already invested time and money into McCoy, and this is year 3 for him....this should have been the year we saw that through....by starting McCoy

By starting McCoy this year it gives Weeden "time" to absorb the NFL game, learn the playbook, develop rapport with the roster, etc....we would have increased our odds of Weeden working out in our favor big time by not playing him this year or maybe bringing him in to play the last 2-3 games of this year. While Weeden soaks up the film.

If McCoy would have turned a corner this year, then we would all have been happy to have two good QB on the roster...if not, Weeden takes over next year with a better team around him, much better seasoned, and in a much better position to succeed....its a win-win.

You will find a QB who sits their 1st year usually have a better chance of working out which is why Holmgren wanted colt to redshirt his rookie year....see Carson Palmer, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, and Phillip Rivers for starters.....they all sat their rookie years.....3 out of 4 of those guys can be argued as the best Qb in the league, and one of them was considered a top 4 NFL QB in our own division.
Quote:

You will find a QB who sits their 1st year usually have a better chance of working out

it's been done both ways. there have been post discussions here that have shown it can work out either way and there doesn't seem to be much consistency to which is better.

and, i'd agree that we could have won the Philly game with Colt. maybe we find a way to win one of the other ones with a guy not taking chances and managing the game more than Weeden is doing.

however, Weeden is learning. no way I want to stunt that development on a team that isn't going to the playoffs without him. and, further, the Giants game is exactly WHY we need a guy like Weeden. We were not stopping the Giants offense, so we needed a guy who can get a few big plays himself. Well, see the two passes to Gordon. I am not confident that McCoy makes either of those plays.
Last year we averaged 13 PPG against a cupcake schedule.

This year, so far, we are averaging 20 PPG, which is 18th in the NFL. In 5 games we have scored 10 TDs.

How many TDs did we score in 16 games last year? 20. We are way ahead of that pace.

Last year we had 26 20+ yard pass plays with McCoy under Center. That was in 463 total pass attempts. Wallace added 6 more in 107 pass attempts. Neither guy was effective in this area.

This year Weeden has 20 pass plays of 20+ yards in only 5 games. This is against a much more difficult schedule than we played last year. If Weeden throws 440 or so passes this year, he will probably have close to 60 pass plays of 20+ yards. That's a huge difference.

The interceptions are a concern right now, but it is only 5 games into his rookie season. His first game was disastrous, with 4 INT ..... but he's been somewhat better since. The bottom line is, though, that he is pushing the ball down the field, which was only an occasional rumor last year.
Is calling McCoy a "young Matt Hasselbeck" supposed to be a selling point? Because its not a very good one.
Quote:

Is calling McCoy a "young Matt Hasselbeck" supposed to be a selling point? Because its not a very good one.

like this guy?

And a very silly thing to say, since Matt Hasselbeck was actually never young.
If we switch to McCoy for anything short of a Theissman-esque injury to Weeden, I think I'll lose it.

The season is OVER. It is officially about developing what we've got. "Shaking things up" just for the sake of trying to get a 'W' is asinine.
We are completely in teach, evaluate, and 'plan for next year mode' - already.
Agree.

Except Shurmur won't be the coach next year.

And Weeden won't be the QB next year.

Think Geno Smith. It's going to happen.

I have mixed feelings about it, but if he's better than Weeden then let's go. I think Weeden has a chance to be really good, however. Would love to see us trade the pick for a large number of draft picks and keep Weeden.

New regime will want their guy, however.

It almost makes watching the rest of this season pointless. But I'll undoubtedly do it anyway.
If we dump Weeden after spending a 1st rounder on him, I'm done with this team. Period.
I can damn near say the same thing about Shurmur, but I'm more concerned that we keep the same systems and am not as concerned about the coaches.
I have no idea who Gino Smith is...... which is enough reason to think that I don't want anything having anything to do with him having anything to do with this team.
I'm not a big college football guy either, but apparently he is like this year's RG3. I heard better arm, not quite as good ... altho still very good ... feet. I believe he's the front runner for the Heisman right now. Maybe some of the college football guys can chime in here.

I just look at it this way. If I'm the new guy coming in, I want my own people. Coaches, coordinators, players. I want to hitch my wagon to my own decisions. I'd rather fail with my own decisions than with someone else's. I don't find much fault in that line of thinking, and I would probably be the same way.

Really hope it doesn't come to that, but I just don't see anyway it won't ... barring some unforeseen huge winning streak ... which is highly unlikely, IMO.
Quote:

even JaMarcus Russell got more than 1 year to prove himself.
Quote:

I'm not a big college football guy either, but apparently he is like this year's RG3. I heard better arm, not quite as good ... altho still very good ... feet. I believe he's the front runner for the Heisman right now. Maybe some of the college football guys can chime in here.

Yay, more hype.

Quote:

I just look at it this way. If I'm the new guy coming in, I want my own people. Coaches, coordinators, players. I want to hitch my wagon to my own decisions. I'd rather fail with my own decisions than with someone else's. I don't find much fault in that line of thinking, and I would probably be the same way.

Really hope it doesn't come to that, but I just don't see anyway it won't ... barring some unforeseen huge winning streak ... which is highly unlikely, IMO.

I will walk away from this team and not look back. I'll have very little problem not paying attention to this sport. Heck, it'll afford me a lot more free time on Sundays 6 months out of the year. I'm done investing time and hope into continual reboots while being fed nothing but empty promises.
Quote:

Quote:

even JaMarcus Russell got more than 1 year to prove himself.

That's speculation. Not what I want to happen.
Quote:

I will walk away from this team and not look back. I'll have very little problem not paying attention to this sport. Heck, it'll afford me a lot more free time on Sundays 6 months out of the year. I'm done investing time and hope into continual reboots while being fed nothing but empty promises.

Wow Prp....thats quite a stance, and i understand be frustrated at the continual reboots. However, we had an owner in Randy Lerner that had no clue what he was doing.

We have new ownership coming in now, and they should not be forced to be hitched to the other guys wagon. Banner has a lot of expereince in the NFL, and there is no doubt he has many contacts all over the league in other front offices that im sure he asks advice from time time (which is smart) If Banner and his football men advisors feel Weeden is not a franchise QB, and Shurmur is not an NFL quality Head coach, they would be doing the fans a diservice by not bringing in people they feel are a better fit for those jobs (including QB)

The new owner just "might" have to push the reset button in order to fix the mistakes of our bumbling owner Jr. has made over the last decade...we may have to reset 1 more time to get "The right guys" (QB, HC, OC, DC, GM) in place to we can take major steps forward as an organization.

right now, Brandon Weeden controls his own destiny....He has known since preseason that a new owner is coming and he has to play somewhat decent and win a few games in order to keep his job. If Bradon Weeden is not the starting Qb in cleveland for this whole year or he is traded/cut, replaced next year, Brandon Weeden will have no one to blame but himself....he controls his own destiny here....show the new owner you are "more" then just a guy with a strong arm Brandon or your going to be replaced next year....thats the reality....either show the new people something and win a few games (to keep the Browns out of the top 5 in the draft) or your going to meet your replacement (Barkley)...its fairly simple.....
Quote:

Quote:

Yay, more hype.

You mean that with the glut of Heisman-winning QBs that are just tearing it up in the NFL right now, it doesn't excite you that we could have the next one??

Wait, I think that was supposed to be in purple...
Lets look at our offense...

Weeden has lead an offense that has maintained drives longer than any Browns team in recent memory. Even when DA was at his peak they were quick strike scores. With Weeden and TRich in the stable we've been able to maintain drives.

His 1st INT was a bummer because he forced something instead of throwing it away. Chalk it up to inexperience, and actually Gordon did a good job of getting open there...just bad placement. The 2nd...idk, oops. I got nothing else there...just not a great play.

If you think that Colt could make either throw to Gordon yesterday, youre kidding yourself and forgot all of last year. Colt has improved yes...and is an amazing backup yes, and is a great trade bait for the future yes (if anyone will buy)...but no, we wouldnt have won any games with Colt starting...scratch that...we wouldve won the opener...maybe...idk if we wouldve gotten 3 FGs from Phil.

Weeden has shown that he can throw it, and can make good decisions. To say he's like a Jeff George is wrong. He is more of a slinger...more of a Phillip Rivers, more of a Jay cutler (minus the headcaseness).

I mean we're seeing a QB that is doing these things...
- standing in the pocket and delivering not bailing.
- stepping up into the pocket and slinging
- driving the ball downfield
- moving the chains...

these are all things no QB has done since DA, cept Weeden has shown some ability to put the ball on the numbers in short yardage throws not just long drives downfield.

He's struggled yes...but he isnt looking terrible. He looks like a starting QB, with a penchant to make some mistakes. Eli looked very similar early. Weeders will be fine, and the offense will be fine with him.

As for the draft....can we please move to like 5-6ish and get JaDavean Clowney? He will make our pass rush amazing...Sheard and Clowney and its over.
Quote:

Quote:

Wow Prp....thats quite a stance, and i understand be frustrated at the continual reboots. However, we had an owner in Randy Lerner that had no clue what he was doing.

We have new ownership coming in now, and they should not be forced to be hitched to the other guys wagon. Banner has a lot of expereince in the NFL, and there is no doubt he has many contacts all over the league in other front offices that im sure he asks advice from time time (which is smart) If Banner and his football men advisors feel Weeden is not a franchise QB, and Shurmur is not an NFL quality Head coach, they would be doing the fans a diservice by not bringing in people they feel are a better fit for those jobs (including QB)

The new owner just "might" have to push the reset button in order to fix the mistakes of our bumbling owner Jr. has made over the last decade...we may have to reset 1 more time to get "The right guys" (QB, HC, OC, DC, GM) in place to we can take major steps forward as an organization.

right now, Brandon Weeden controls his own destiny....He has known since preseason that a new owner is coming and he has to play somewhat decent and win a few games in order to keep his job. If Bradon Weeden is not the starting Qb in cleveland for this whole year or he is traded/cut, replaced next year, Brandon Weeden will have no one to blame but himself....he controls his own destiny here....show the new owner you are "more" then just a guy with a strong arm Brandon or your going to be replaced next year....thats the reality....either show the new people something and win a few games (to keep the Browns out of the top 5 in the draft) or your going to meet your replacement (Barkley)...its fairly simple.....

EVERYTHING you just typed is another "reboot(s) while being fed nothing but empty promises". Heck, you're making their excuses for them.
How many times will you bite on the hook when being told "this time it's different, just look at the credentials of these new guys"?

You go ahead and bite the hook and swallow the bait - I won't. If they blow it all up - again- they're going to have to EARN MY money and attention back.
They're going to have to show me success - PROVE that you're on the right track - and I'd come back. Go ahead and call me "bandwagon" --- I don't care what labels get put on me.

We've tried EVERY scheme - offensively and defensively - in the NFL. We've had coaches, GM's, Presidents, owners..... and the ONE thing that doesn't change is the fact that we're ALWAYS changing something. STOP TINKERING WITH THE DAMNED THING AND LET SOMETHING COME TOGETHER FOR ONCE!!!!
STUFF DOES NOT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT

Quote:

You mean that with the glut of Heisman-winning QBs that are just tearing it up in the NFL right now, it doesn't excite you that we could have the next one??

if Cam & RGIII keep it up, then we may need to retire that punchline for awhile though
If we draft Barkley, I may be all done with this team. The last thing we need is another smurf QB with a so-so arm.
Quote:

The last thing we need is another smurf QB with a so-so arm.

Nobody knows what this team needs. Not you. Not me. Not the coaches, the GM or the president. Because if anyone knew WTF they were doing, we wouldn't be watching the same $#!% over and over every stinking year since '99. Maybe in the long run the only thing that will fix this franchise is a small thermonuclear device. We can only hope the new ownership can get it on track, but there are no promises there either. Watching this team has become synonymous with drinking your own bile.
Quote:

Quote:

if Cam & RGIII keep it up, then we may need to retire that punchline for awhile though

Yeah. For the moment, though, Cam isn't looking too hot this year, and RGIII has a headache.
Quote:

Quote:

The last thing we need is another smurf QB with a so-so arm.

Nobody knows what this team needs. Not you. Not me. Not the coaches, the GM or the president. Because if anyone knew WTF they were doing, we wouldn't be watching the same $#!% over and over every stinking year since '99. Maybe in the long run the only thing that will fix this franchise is a small thermonuclear device. We can only hope the new ownership can get it on track, but there are no promises there either. Watching this team has become synonymous with drinking your own bile.

Looking at today's NFL, a short QB with a weaker than average arm isn't going to do much.

So far this year, BarKley (for those easily offended) has done the following:

He and his teammates beat up Hawaii and Syracuse.

Then they played Stanford, and Barkley went - for 254 and 2 INT. This was a home game as well.

Then they played Cal and he went 22-34 for 192 yards, with 2 TD and 2 INT.

He then rebounded with a solid game against powerhouse Utah.

Barkley does everything he does with a couple of the best receivers in the country. Woods and Lee are a spectacular duo, and if Barkley puts the ball anywhere near the, it's a catch. Further, it's likely to go for extra yards, even if the throw shouldn't.

I'd skip Barkley and take Woods and/or Lee instead.
-
Quote:

Weeden has lead an offense that has maintained drives longer than any Browns team in recent memory. Even when DA was at his peak they were quick strike scores. With Weeden and TRich in the stable we've been able to maintain drives.

We averaged 288 yards and 17.4 first downs per game last year and 324 yards and 17 first downs per game this year.. The single biggest difference is that we are averaging 7 more points per game.

the offense looks more explosive, feels like it can be a lot more explosive, glimpses of explosiveness.... results aren't exactly there yet.....
Quote:

Weeden has shown that he can throw it, and can make good decisions. To say he's like a Jeff George is wrong. He is more of a slinger...more of a Phillip Rivers, more of a Jay cutler (minus the headcaseness).

- moving the chains...

I agree with your assessment, except good decisions thing. You may also forgot.
He continually making bad decisions and throwing into triple coverage.
He has problems with short to intermediate passes.
He has thrown 6ints in 2nd half, 4 of them in 4th qtr, in only 5 games. The last 2 mins he's at 42% with 2 ints not td's. He has to take care of the ball late in games.
I think that if Weeden continues to struggle late in games, lets say 3-5 games down the road, we may see McCoy.
The schedule has gotten easier especially do to injuries to other teams. On the other hand we get Haden back we win. We should get MoMass against a weak Indy and maybe a win. If we can continue to get healthier as others go the opposite way we might have something real to cheer about.
Quote:

Quote:

- moving the chains...

He has thrown 6ints in 2nd half, 4 of them in 4th qtr, in only 5 games. The last 2 mins he's at 42% with 2 ints not td's. He has to take care of the ball late in games.
I think that if Weeden continues to struggle late in games, lets say 3-5 games down the road, we may see McCoy.

Those are some of the most cherry-picked "facts", ever.

• Triple coverage? Nobody in the NFL even runs triple coverage on a single receiver.... especially not one of ours. If you are seeing what you **THINK** is triple coverage, it is actually an open spot in a Zone.
  • Short to intermediate? Give me examples that shows definitively that this is a problem for him; because I see him throwing short a TON and not having a problem with it.
  • This is the biggest example of cherry-picking while ignoring the situation - he's a rookie QB and has been playing from behind with WR's that keep screwing him. Yes, he's made some boneheaded throws, but he's also been in crappy situations. It's a stinking learning process, not a final exam. Good grief!
  • You are on crack. There is no way - short of injury to Weeden, or executive order from the new owner - that you will see McCoy over Weeden. None.
  • Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

- moving the chains...

Those are some of the most cherry-picked "facts", ever.

• Triple coverage? Nobody in the NFL even runs triple coverage on a single receiver.... especially not one of ours. If you are seeing what you **THINK** is triple coverage, it is actually an open spot in a Zone.
  • Short to intermediate? Give me examples that shows definitively that this is a problem for him; because I see him throwing short a TON and not having a problem with it.
  • This is the biggest example of cherry-picking while ignoring the situation - he's a rookie QB and has been playing from behind with WR's that keep screwing him. Yes, he's made some boneheaded throws, but he's also been in crappy situations. It's a stinking learning process, not a final exam. Good grief!
  • You are on crack. There is no way - short of injury to Weeden, or executive order from the new owner - that you will see McCoy over Weeden. None.

• Cherry picked??? When i'm referring to losing games and not taking care of the ball late. How do u not mention 4th qtr stats?

Triple coverage-- Well when you throw it to someone over the middle, 3 ppl can cover you especially if they are in a zone.

First 3 games he couldnt complete a screen pass. Had problems with it all preseason.

IF..... he continued to turnover the ball late n games and couldnt get the win or sustain drives late... do you really believe that 5-6 games down the road they wouldnt give McCoy a shot???? He has to take care of the ball. He did that this past sunday. He played very well. Not that many yards but he sustained drives late. Had a bad stretch of 5? 3 n'outs. But definitely his best game yet. Is he the saviour... Idk too early to tell.

And btw that quote was taken before sunday... nice hindsight nitpicking
    © DawgTalkers.net