DawgTalkers.net
Ex-Browns QB Derek Anderson regrets the way he left Cleveland

San Francisco -- Derek Anderson said he is in a better place now – personally and professionally – and is able to say he is sorry.

The former Cleveland Browns quarterback is sorry about the way he exited after the 2009 season, when he slammed Browns fans as “ruthless” and wrote in a scathing email that “they don’t deserve a winner.”

He’s even more sorry about his performance in the defining game of his Browns career -- a 19-14 loss in Cincinnati in Game 15 in the 2007 season that cost the Browns a playoff berth and division championship.

On a blustery December day, Anderson threw two interceptions on successive throws just before halftime to pretty much seal the fate of the season. The Browns haven’t come close to the post-season since.

As Anderson recounted his highs and lows in Cleveland while on the precipice of Super Bowl 50 as Cam Newton’s backup with the Carolina Panthers, he revealed just how deeply that game affected him.

“I had the opportunity to take my team to the playoffs and it was one of the worst games I ever played,” Anderson told me on Thursday at the Panthers’ Super Bowl headquarters hotel in San Jose, CA.

That game was eight years ago. Anderson is now the backup quarterback on a 17-1 juggernaut favored to beat the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50. And that game still is on his mind. It shattered his confidence.

He got beat up two more years in Cleveland, physically and mentally, and then one year in Arizona. And then it wasn’t until his fourth year with Carolina, that Anderson exorcised the demons of that Browns’ game almost seven years earlier.

Anderson filled in for an injured Newton in the Panthers’ 2014 season opener and threw for two touchdowns in a 20-14 win over Tampa Bay.

“I looked at it as an opportunity to prove myself,” Anderson told me. “I know I was a lot better than [in that 2007 loss to Cincinnati]. When we got over that [win against Tampa Bay], it was refreshing. It proved I could still play a clean game at a level I know I was capable of.”

Soul searching: In 2007, Anderson produced the best season of a Browns quarterback since the team was reborn in expansion in 1999. He won 10 of 15 starts, threw for 3,787 yards and 29 touchdowns. The big year earned contract extensions for him, offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski, coach Romeo Crennel and general manager Phil Savage.

And things just unraveled from there. Anderson went 3-6 in 2008 as the Browns slumped to 4-12, and the Crennel-Chudzinsk partnership was blown up by owner Randy Lerner. After a 3-4 stint under new coach Eric Mangini in 2009, Mike Holmgren was brought in as president and Anderson was released.

It was a terrible time for him, and he now says he couldn’t deal with everything swirling around him.

“I signed a $24 million deal [after 2007] and nobody stood by me,” Anderson said. “The first bad game that I had, every single one of you [in the media] were saying, ‘We need Brady Quinn in there.’

“I do regret saying some of the things I did say because I do have great friends there. I was definitely sour about the way I was treated by the organization and the fans. I had every opportunity to leave after ’07 and I chose not to. I had great rapport with my teammates and I felt I owed it to them to come back. I thought we could do something special.”

Underlying his problems on the field were problems off the field.

“The last year I was there, I was going through a divorce,” Anderson said. “I wasn’t doing the right things I needed to do personally, which made football harder than it had it to be. I was depressed. I wasn’t in a good spot.”

The career refresher: The 2010 season in Arizona, Anderson said, was the lowest point. He suffered another bad year and was beat up physically. So when Chudzinski moved on to Carolina offensive coordinator in 2011 and lured Anderson to join him, Anderson jumped at the chance.

“At that point, I just needed some guidance,” he said. “Chud said, ‘Let’s get you back playing good football.’ He wanted me to push Cam but also to help in his development. At that point, I wanted to be around people that could make me better, that I could trust and be comfortable with.”

Anderson remarried in 2013, had a daughter and is expecting another one in April. Despite his messy parting from Cleveland, and all the negativity he abhors from years of losing , he wanted to return when Chudzinski was hired as head coach in 2013.

“I wanted to prove what I did there [in 2007] wasn’t [a fluke],” Anderson said, “and I was strong enough to go back and take on that role and be a leader and help.

“To me, I felt I had unfinished business and I wasn’t given the opportunity [to complete it]. I’ve lost the animosity over the whole thing and I feel bad for what those people have gone through. It’s so frustrating to me, because I see that [negative] mindset all the time.”

Anderson said he invited some friends from Cleveland to the Panthers’ first playoff game and he was struck by how much they enjoyed the experience of winning.

“I wanted them to have that experience [in Cleveland] and I wish I was the one who could have brought that off,” he said.

All is good now for him now. He is 32, much more mature professionally, and his life is together, and he is totally at peace with the thought of being one play away from playing in the Super Bowl.

“I’m light years beyond where I was mentally the last time we talked [in 2009],” Anderson said. “The way I approach things, my off the field personal life, all those things are so much better. I’m grown up. When I got here Sunday, I sat in my room and just thought about how far I’ve come as a man, and in football, too. Football becomes easier for me when I have a clear mind.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland//post/...-left-cleveland
"Anderson said he invited some friends from Cleveland to the Panthers’ first playoff game and he was struck by how much they enjoyed the experience of winning."

I wonder how many players on this team played before 2009. Maybe 3 players?
Good for him,, I wish him well.,
Maybe they'll let him play in the 4th for mop-up duty.
That pass to Winslow in Phoenix was a touchdown.
Yes, it was. I was even at that game.
Ugh, that game in Cincy. Rough day. I wasn't happy.
WE GOTTA GET THIS GUY!
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
WE GOTTA GET THIS GUY!

Thats not funny...nothing is funny
Originally Posted By: Arps
WE GOTTA GET THIS GUY!

It was a little funny.
Originally Posted By: Dave

Jesus I remember that. I was so upset. Thinking about it, had we won that game, we would have had 11 wins. Gone to the playoffs. Refs robbed us real bad.

That year was so much fun, and it ended so badly.

We didn't control our destiny and Jim Sorgi wasn't even allowed to run a 2 minute offense for the Colts to beat the Titans and get us into the playoffs. I'm convinced they decided the Titans were an easier opponent in the playoffs and planned on letting them win the game. I've hated the Colts ever since.....................

The performance against Cincinatti was awful. I only got to see the 2nd half, because I was at a funeral during the 1st (yet the whole time I was following the thing on my Blackberry (sorry Harry Shear RIP)).

Right or wrong, I just couldn't forgive DA. One of the biggest letdowns I've ever felt in sports. Either way, we never should have signed him to a contract extension. He was a product of a team around him that was playing extremely well together. Mix that with a fanbase that (like myself) couldn't forgive him for what happened, and you have the Indy Colts game the next season.

And I'll admit, this was like 2008, so I had to be like 22, and I was drunk off my butt, and I remember yelling at him when he got injured. "That's what you get!" That's what I was screaming that day. It was a bad day in that stadium. I wasn't the only one either. I so badly just wanted to get the Colts back for purposely losing to Tennessee. We lost like 3-13 or something ridiculous like that. It was 3-6 until the end of the game when Indy got their first TD. Weather was awful that day, neither team could throw the ball.

I am embarrassed for my actions that day, but man was I angry
Good for DA. I'm glad he's in a better place now. He was a jerk, and a crappy QB, but he's not wrong about how he was treated here. The bad cheers from the fans and the turmoil in the org wasn't his fault, but he handled it pretty poorly.

Also, BQ and Weeden came after him, so history will be kinder because of that.
Quote:
He was a jerk

had good reason to be one. jmo
Originally Posted By: pblack18707
Quote:
He was a jerk

had good reason to be one. jmo

Agreed, and I said as much. Doesn't mean he can do what he did and said what he said. He admitted as much regarding his way out.

It probably makes apologizing easier seeing that we're still a raging dumpster fire.
DA was my favorite Browns QB since 99.
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
Originally Posted By: Arps
WE GOTTA GET THIS GUY!

It was a little funny.

Everyone's funny, but DA would be a nice bridge for this team until they can draft a quality qb.

He always had the talent. He simply could not emotionally handle the burden of all the hate he faced while in Cleveland. He is more mature now. He has played well whenever he was inserted in the game. I live in the area, and there was talk here of how DA was outperforming Cam for a couple of years. That's over now......LOL........but my point is that the guy is a pretty good qb and the Browns would be a better team if he was on it.

Was that when the refs would not invoke the push out rule? And the league canned the rule at the end of the season?
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Was that when the refs would not invoke the push out rule? And the league canned the rule at the end of the season?

Yes.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog

Everyone's funny, but DA would be a nice bridge for this team until they can draft a quality qb.

I gotta disagree. It's better that DA and the Browns have gone their separate ways.

I'd rather we stick with McCown
Bygones: Derek.

And lets just get this out of the way right now.........

Bygones: Ty
Bygones: Timmah
Bygones: Doug
Bygones: Spergon
Bygones: Kelly
Bygones: Jeff
Bygones: Luke
Bygones: Trent
Bygones: Charlie
Bygones: Brady
Bygones: Ken
Bygones: Bruce
Bygones: Colt
Bygones: Jake
Bygones: Seneca
Bygones: Brandon
Bygones: Thad
Bygones: Jason
Bygones: Brian

if DA really wanted to come back. I would give him a "go" an see if he could the team...if he can great if not at least we gave him a look.
I would personally take him over McCown.
Originally Posted By: E.Ryze19

Me too.

Me too.

I'll take McCown. At this point (and I'm assuming we draft a QB) we need more than a bridge QB - we need a mentor. I don't know if DA could be that guy or not...
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Me too.

I'll take McCown. At this point (and I'm assuming we draft a QB) we need more than a bridge QB - we need a mentor. I don't know if DA could be that guy or not...

yea. just look how good he did mentoring johnny.....
Why bring in a QB with any type of baggage?

I'm tired of QB being a "story" or a distraction here. No RGIII, no DA.

I remember that play clear as day.. I was livid!!!
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32

Me too.

yea. just look how good he did mentoring johnny.....

He was mentoring (and Manziel was srarting to show something), not baby-sitting...
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Why bring in a QB with any type of baggage?

I'm tired of QB being a "story" or a distraction here. No RGIII, no DA.

Where did I advocate bringing in DA or RGIII?
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

I remember that play clear as day.. I was livid!!!

I was at that game - the play happened right in front of me. I was pissed in a sea of Cardinal fans, lol.
I think you could have DA and McCown on the same team. No way is Josh going to last an entire year. DA would probably win the starting job and Josh could back him up. Davis would be 3rd or we could keep a later round draft pick, such as Hogan as our 3rd.

And then go all in next year's draft.
I think you could have DA and McCown on the same team. No way is Josh going to last an entire year. DA would probably win the starting job and Josh could back him up. Davis would be 3rd or we could keep a later round draft pick, such as Hogan as our 3rd.

only way that would work is if we started mccown all next year for the #1 pick...

I would not mid seeing this play out .
Maybe Vers.

But I'm wondering if that doesn't mess up plans for going all in for a QB in 2017.

In theory, if Gordon stays clean, we all seen what happens when DA has a top WR and a top TE on the same squad.
Originally Posted By: Swish
Maybe Vers.

But I'm wondering if that doesn't mess up plans for going all in for a QB in 2017.

In theory, if Gordon stays clean, we all seen what happens when DA has a top WR and a top TE on the same squad.

Didn't he have Edwards and Winslow in 2008 as well?

Also, I love Barnidge, but he is nowhere near what Winslow was in 2007.
He did. I dunno what happened to the offense in 2008.

Barnidge might not be as talented as Winslow as a weapon in 2007, but I think he's a better overall TE.

I think Gordon is better than BE. And I think we have a better line than 2007.

only way that would work is if we started mccown all next year for the #1 pick...

How in the world would starting McCown all next year translate into the # 1 overall pick next year?

On a physical talent level, no doubt. DA is far more physically talented than McCown.

I think that DA is a better QB, in many ways, than McCown. He has definitely burned far brighter than McCown has.

However, what role do we want a veteran QB to fill here? Do we want a starter,. to compete with the rookie QB we are almost certainly going to draft, or to me a mentor and confidant for the QB .... to advise him and show/explain how things work in the NFL? I think that this as a role where McCown is far better suited.

Someone derisively noted that McCown mentored Manziel as well ...... but you can only work with what you have. I think that McCown was a good influence in some ways, but when a kid is set on being self destructive, then no one is going to pull them off that path until they are ready to step off and turn around.
Originally Posted By: dawgpound101
if DA really wanted to come back. I would give him a "go" an see if he could the team...if he can great if not at least we gave him a look.

Well he sort of burnt that bridge by his regrets laid out now.

Of course there is nobody from that burnt bridge still around...lol laugh
2008 was a mess for a variety of reasons. This is just by memory, but I believe:

--DA got injured during the preseason and didn't get as many reps as one would have liked.

--Leon got hurt while running barefoot during sprints. Stallworth stepped on his foot w/his cleats. Man, who was the coach that year? Running barefoot?

--There were other injuries that the team was dealing with.

--DA handled all the hate he received from the BQ lovers poorly. He was emotionally burdened by it and not mature enough to overcome it. I remember the fans cheering when he was laying on the field injured. I think people forget things like that.

But anyway..............this is never going to happen and I didn't mean to give the impression that it could happen. I just think he has matured a lot over the years and he has mad skills. But again, that ship has sailed.
Cam Newton thinks the world of the guy.
I'm glad for DA right now. I think he should stay right where he is. I mean, a guy going from the situation in Carolina to the perma-rebuild here in Cleveland? I think that says something about his mental state... :-p

He considered doing just that when Chud came here, and then observed from a distance how that all unraveled.

As for the DA vs McCown debate... I don't agree with the people who would swap the two. DA is definitely the more talented QB, but I don't think he can become THE GUY. McCown is perfect for what we need right now. He got it done last season, and he's all about mentoring (but not babysitting, understandably). McCown is a bit smarter of a QB than DA. Yeah, I'm good with McCown being our bridge. We just need the right guy to bridge to.
DA's biggest issue was lack of touch, and always wanting the home run pass. You don't make it far in this league if you can't evolve your game.
I was never a fan of Anderson, but it's nice that he can reflect now, look at the situation and realize he should have handled it differently. Definitely don't want him back here.
DA's touch on the deep passes is about as good as any qb ever.
Hit the outside in post pattern like a beast. The further the throw, the better he was.

Then came Cincinnati.
I'd welcome him back though. Why not?
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

jmo. be the best qB on our roster right now. he is one of the reasons cam is so good right now. ofcourse not half the job mccown did with johnny.....
Well, I meant short passes lol. His short throws were atrocious.

he is one of the reasons cam is so good right now.

rofl
Originally Posted By: Vambo

he is one of the reasons cam is so good right now.

rofl

so when you going to pay me? that hundred where you swore quinn was going to be on a nfl team way longer than DA?

so when you going to pay me? that hundred where you swore quinn was going to be on a nfl team way longer than DA?

Still tipping the Johnny Juice are you ...I never posted that, insinuated that in any way. Never made a bet with you. tsktsk

The only thing I said was at the time I didn't think BQ had gotten a far shot. Where you come up with that other stuff is beyond me.

You should start your posts with " Once upon a time "
Quote:
DA's touch on the deep passes is about as good as any qb ever

And his swing passes to RB's in the flat had the exact same velocity.

He threw a beautiful deep ball, but was still an incomplete QB, imo.
I'm surprised Jamal Lewis never ended up with dislocated arms on some of those dump offs or screen passes.
That's not exactly true. He threw it hard on the short passes over the middle and the quick outs, but not on the screens and swing passes.

I used to laugh my butt off about how the expert fans used to complain about the hard passes. The guys catching them were not you and Rocket. They were professionals. I'll put it to you this way.....DA is still in the league----those guys ain't.
So we can't criticize any NFL player unless we get an NFL roster spot?
What?
Isn't that what you were implying? And dude, he threw screens all over the place. They could be three feet over the guys head, in the dirt or behind him. Awful touch.
No, I wasn't implying that. I was saying the receivers he was throwing to were out of the league while he is still in it. I was not bashing Clem or Rock.......LOL.......I was saying that those guys should have caught those "hard" passes. They are paid to do that.

And dude.............are you always so affable?
I have to agree with Clem on this one, but I also have to wonder if some of those drops were intentionally dropped by Edwards while he was trying to find a way out of Cleveland. Guy had one good year, then couldn't seem to catch anything that wasn't thrown on national television.
I am more affable than pblack, but then again, who isn't?

BRW, sorry if I mis-construed your post.
Originally Posted By: MrTed
I have to agree with Clem on this one, but I also have to wonder if some of those drops were intentionally dropped by Edwards while he was trying to find a way out of Cleveland. Guy had one good year, then couldn't seem to catch anything that wasn't thrown on national television.

I don't think Edwards dropped balls on purpose just to get out of Cleveland. I mean, if he were still in the league, maybe, but wherever he went after us, he dropped passes.

He just dropped passes.. That's his cross to bear
It's okay. I went back and looked. I did a poor job of wording that point.
No, I wasn't implying that. I was saying the receivers he was throwing to were out of the league while he is still in it. I was not bashing Clem or Rock.......LOL.......I was saying that those guys should have caught those "hard" passes. They are paid to do that.

And dude.............are you always so affable?

Catching a three yard pass over the middle from DA is the equivalent to a catcher on the receiving end of a Nolan Ryan fastball without wearing a glove.
His ball placement on dinky little throws drove me up the wall.
He also had one of---if not thee---greatest year in the HISTORY of the Brown's franchise.
DA is the most under appreciated player in the history of the Browns.

What I wouldn't give to experience another 10 win season. It felt so good to be relevant again that year. I thought that was the start of some sustained good years. Too bad Edwards and Winslow were knuckleheads.

I remember never fearing any third and long on offense that year. I knew DA and Joe were going to connect. We were an actual professional football team with a professional offense. Analysts were picking us to go to the Super Bowl in 2008.

We haven't had a professional offense since DA left.

This team makes me so sad.
i'll take DA rocket arm over the ducks Brady quinn was throwing.
It's funny to sit here and read positives about DA now. I remember he was called "fools gold" back then. Funny. I did enjoy that season a lot. Had a ball watching them come alive. in fact the entire town came alive.

If Jimmy and Dee Haslam want to see what they are in for once we start winning, they don't have to go back to the 80's to see it, just look at 2007 and think what it would be like.
Quote:
I knew DA and Joe were going to connect.

DA to Joe Jurevicius was a great combination for the Browns in '07. I still recall a 3rd-and-20-ish situation where Joe ran a deep comeback pattern outside the hash to the right and Derek threw a 30 yard laser that might have put a hole in Joe's chest if he hadn't caught it. I swear that throw had a vapor-trail. Never saw a throw like that by a Browns' QB before, or since.
it is bro.

i think that 2008 season, even if we regressed, if we would've went 8-8 or so, DA would've got another year.

but 2008 was such a cluster...
Originally Posted By: Swish
i'll take DA rocket arm over the ducks Brady quinn was throwing.

Yep.
Quote:

how rude. rofl
Quote:

how rude. rofl

Should I be hearing 'how rude' in C-3PO's voice or JarJar Binks voice? wink
'Full House' how rude.
We used to call DA "Mister Potato Cannon." Just seemed to have no touch on any short throws at all.
Derek Anderson no longer thinks we don't deserve a winner?

Wonderful, now that curse is over we just have about seven more to get rid of so we can actually have a good team..
The game day threads and what I saw threads were quite vitriolic as I recall. Which DA will we get today? Jekyll or Hyde wasn't it? smile

We'd all take him and his flaws now surely in hindsight. 10 wins and a sniff of playoffs seems a long way away. Don't it always seem to go.......
I'm sure I'm going to get killed for this, but I wanted Anderson to return to Cleveland, and I might not be against it now. Anderson hasn't exactly had a ton of playing time in Carolina, but any time he HAS played, he's looked solid. He always looks killer in the preseason (which I realize doesn't mean a whole lot), and the few times he played in the regular season he played pretty well. Anderson is a good example of what a guy can do with elite talent around him, and a very capable defense. Anderson has a tremendous arm, although his touch was suspect at times, and he had other issues. But the guy can spin the rock, and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get some interest around the league.
Why is the relevant??
DA is who he is - Nothing more and nothing less.

don't wish to scratch at an old itch....lol so will just stop there and move on. I don't think he will ever come here. As he sort of stated he regrets burning that bridge with the fans.

jmho

jmo. be the best qB on our roster right now. he is one of the reasons cam is so good right now. ofcourse not half the job mccown did with johnny.....

If only you were there to tell them about how great DA is and should have played him over Cam they would have beaten Denver. brownie

If only you were there to tell them about how great DA is and should have played him over Cam they would have beaten Denver. brownie

well......

well......

And your point is?...
Quote:
And your point is?...

i would have benched cam at the end of the third. jmo
Quote:
And your point is?...

So that Anderson could get sacked 8 times in the 4th?
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Quote:
And your point is?...

So that Anderson could get sacked 8 times in the 4th?

no. so would have had a chance to win..
Let's ignore the fact that taking the MVP of the league and best overall player this year, out of the Super Bowl, in a one score game, is just a ridiculous idea, that if doesn't work, loses the entire locker room, and gets you fired..

You want to take out, the most athletic QB in the league, and against the best pass rush in the last 5-10 years, put in the statute that is Derek Anderson.. And you think he'll do better?
Originally Posted By: ThatGuy
Let's ignore the fact that taking the MVP of the league and best overall player this year, out of the Super Bowl, in a one score game, is just a ridiculous idea, that if doesn't work, loses the entire locker room, and gets you fired..

You want to take out, the most athletic QB in the league, and against the best pass rush in the last 5-10 years, put in the statute that is Derek Anderson.. And you think he'll do better?

bottom line is cam wasnt working. if something isnt working got to try something else.
yeah, but not that.
yeah, but not that.

so nothing instead. thats the bottom line.
j/c

one of my favorite DA moments:

what a fun season... for awhile.
+1...Cam was getting smoked IN the pocket, why not roll him out either left or right to change it up....then throw it or run it....running plays were NOT working either...that whole game sucked as a Panther fan....few if any adjustments....coach has linebacker mentality...needed Walsh....GO Browns!!!
I can answer that question if you really want to hear it. If you just wanna blame the coaches and protect Cam.....I won't answer it. Let me know.
Go ahead, say it.
LOL.....it's whether hit wants to hear it or not. He asked the question. grin
I give credit to Denver's defense in large part on that one.

1. They played Cam the way defenses learned to play Vick. Fast ILB spies the QB while the DLine brings crazy pressure while trying to make sure they don't give up any easy running lanes.

2. They put some BIG hits on him, especially the couple of times he did run; so I'm thinking he was a little skittish about trying that continually.
LOL.....it's whether hit wants to hear it or not. He asked the question. grin

i would like to hear it too...
© DawgTalkers.net