DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: THROW LONG AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/13/20 09:00 PM
The NFL Playoffs are kind of like a Nascar Race,
all you can do is have great tires and try to get in good position for the final laps.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/13/20 09:18 PM
I have to watch GB and the Lions is here any place you guys know that is streaming the Colts and Raiders ???
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/13/20 10:20 PM
Cmon Colts!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 12:01 AM
I really liked reading this and thought I’d share:

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2020/12...-like-that.html
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 01:02 AM
Go Buffalo
Posted By: jaybird Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:04 AM
Nice... thank you Indy... now let's Go BILLS
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:25 AM
At this rate, a win tomorrow is nearly a nail in our playoff coffin. A loss still leaves us in good shape, but not as good as we are right nwo
Posted By: EveDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:27 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
At this rate, a win tomorrow is nearly a nail in our playoff coffin. A loss still leaves us in good shape, but not as good as we are right nwo

Wut.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:34 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

Wut.
if we win tomorrow we will be in ... if we lose our percentage drops a bit, but it’s not drastic
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:40 AM

A nail in one's coffin generally means that one is one step closer to the grave. I think you meant something else?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:45 AM
Maybe a stake through the heart of the vampire of missing the playoffs 19 years.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:59 AM
Stillers vs Chiefs for consideration.

if the overall record is the same, we'd have 2 teams from different divisions where the tie break sequence goes.

1. Head to head if applicable .(Not)
2. Best Conference record, both AFC conf. vs. the AFC

If those end up equal the next is W-L-T in common games minimum 4.

Steelers, and Chiefs Common games minimum 4
+ for win, - for loss, and TBD for not played yet.

Texans, Steelers +, ... Chiefs +
Broncos, Steelers +, ... Chiefs +, 2nd +

Ravens, Steelers +, 2nd +, ... Chiefs +

Bills, Steelers (TBD in the 4th quarter)
Chiefs, +

Tally, Chiefs 5-0, Steelers, 4-0 (tbd 1)

4, strength of victory
5, strength of schedule
6, combined ranking among conf teams in points scored, and points allowed.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 04:06 AM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

if the overall record is the same, we'd have 2 teams from different divisions where the tie break sequence goes.

Chiefs, +

4, strength of victory
5, strength of schedule

Pitt will finish 2nd and the Browns will win the division.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 10:39 AM
if we win tomorrow we will be in ... if we lose our percentage drops a bit, but it’s not drastic

If the Browns win 4 of their final 4 games they will earn a playoff berth.

If the Browns win 3 of their final 4 games they will earn a playoff berth.

If the Browns win 2 of their final 4 games and either the Titans or Colts lose any game, the Browns will earn a playoff game.

If the Colts and Titans both win 3 of their final 3, then the Browns must win 3 of their final 4,
or
have the Dolphins and Ravens both lose once, or

have either the Dolphins or Ravens lose once and have the Bills lose 3 of their final 3, for the Browns to earn a playoff berth.

The Browns hold a same record tie break over the
Colts,
Titans, and the winner of Tonights Ravens at Browns game holds a same record tie break over the loser.

The Browns have a same record lose the tie with
The Bills,
The Chiefs
The Steelers
The Dolphins
The Raiders,
formerly the Patriots who fell off last game
and
The non winner of the Ravens at Browns tonight, a tie would benefit the Ravens.

(at this point; the Bills, Chiefs, Steelers, Dolphins, and Raiders, loss of tie break cannot change ).

(Well unless the Browns literally outscore wins by 110-0 to overturn the Dolphins best 15 ish points/g, strength of victory to the Browns worst 6 ish points/g, strength of victory) and in 3 games overturn the first 9 games' margin of an 11, game sample)

edit: Shoot! I may be wrong about the steelers, (the only way I'm wrong about the steelers is if they actually lose to the bengals. If so, Wake me when the Bengals actually upset the Steelers)

Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 10:57 AM
If the Browns only loss is to the Jets,

and The Steelers lose to the Bengals and Browns,

Both teams 12-4 ... Browns win the division on common games advantage win over Washington Football team vs Steelers lost to Washington Football team,

Browns must Beat Ravens for it to happen.

Wake me if the Bengals actually upset the steelers,
bengals fan told me their year is a cooked goose.
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 12:14 PM

Right now we need to take care of our business. 1-0

Beat the Ravens.

Get to the playoffs and then everything is the same
1-0.

Pretty simple.

After watching the game last night. We are playing better than both the Steelers and the Ravens.

Neither team is showing balance. We are.

Steelers still have a great defense. However, their offense is one dimensional.

We know how to win. We have a playing personality.

Continue what we do.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 12:36 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

I think the only way this is possible is if CIN beats PIT. Right now, CIN couldn't compete in the Big Ten.
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 12:41 PM

The Colts could beat the Steelers.

The Steelers can play poorly and beat the Bengals.

Not so with the Colts.
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

I think the only way this is possible is if CIN beats PIT. Right now, CIN couldn't compete in the Big Ten.

Incorrect...if the Browns win out, and the Steelers lose to the Colts and the Browns, the Browns would win the division.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 01:22 PM
I’m growing more nervous about tonight’s game as this week has progressed. We’ve had a fabulous year and exceeded expectations ... losing tonight is not the end of the world, of course. But it would be awfully nice to win smile

I’m worried about them pressuring Baker and him not responding well to it.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 01:41 PM
We’ve had a fabulous year and exceeded expectations ... losing tonight is not the end of the world

This is where I think every Browns fan should be at. Period.

1-0 every week should be the mentality and if we go 0-1 one week - don't get upset. Making the payoffs this year should be looked at like a freebie bonus.

Agree that the Ravens are going to really test another area of Baker's game - he should see plenty of pressure and plenty of heavily disguised coverages.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 01:56 PM
I'm not adjusted my expectations because of 1-2 good games.

We are a talented team with some glaring weaknesses, a bunch of ?'s, and we are still coming together/developing.

All I expect is a competitive game. I'll be ticked if we get embarrassed again.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 02:34 PM
Just to clarify we tie the Steelers for overall record we don't necessarily win the division, correct? The Steelers would have a 5-1 record (assuming they beat the Bengals) in the division and the Browns would be 4-2 assuming we win out. In prior years division record was first tie breaker. That would make us a wild card.

Let me know if I am incorrect or this year is different.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 02:50 PM
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
Originally Posted By: CapCity Dawg

Incorrect...if the Browns win out, and the Steelers lose to the Colts and the Browns, the Browns would win the division.

Yup. I didn't think it through. Math is hard.
Posted By: cle23 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:15 PM
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN
Just to clarify we tie the Steelers for overall record we don't necessarily win the division, correct? The Steelers would have a 5-1 record (assuming they beat the Bengals) in the division and the Browns would be 4-2 assuming we win out. In prior years division record was first tie breaker. That would make us a wild card.

I believe you are correct. That's why we need to win out and had Pitt lose to Indy. They'd be at 4 losses then and we'd be 13-3. Going to be tough, but Pitt "looks" weak right now and if we get by Baltimore tonight we have a decent chance. Just had to root for Indy.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 03:47 PM
I’m growing more nervous about tonight’s game as this week has progressed. We’ve had a fabulous year and exceeded expectations ... losing tonight is not the end of the world, of course. But it would be awfully nice to win smile

I’m worried about them pressuring Baker and him not responding well to it.

I'm just the opposite. I'm growing more confident. I think the Browns and Baker have figured some things out since week 1.

I think it will either be a hard, close battle with the outcome going either way or the Browns blow them out.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By: cle23

I believe you are correct. That's why we need to win out and had Pitt lose to Indy. They'd be at 4 losses then and we'd be 13-3. Going to be tough, but Pitt "looks" weak right now and if we get by Baltimore tonight we have a decent chance. Just had to root for Indy.

We need to win tonight. Steelers need to lose to Bengals. We could actually lose to the Jets in this scenario and we'd win the division I believe by way of best win percentage vs common opponents.... we beat Washington, they didn't.

There's other scenarios, but I'm ok with this one.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 04:10 PM

Chiefs, +

4, strength of victory
5, strength of schedule

Browns win tonight and get past the 2 NY teams.

Steelers lose to the Colts who are playing for their lives in week 16 and the Steelers are not playing very well.

Bills have a let down and lose to the Patriots in week 16....

Steelers come to Cleveland in Week 17 and the Browns, if they win, win the division and become the 2 seed in the AFC behind only the Chiefs..

Been looking at wild card games for a few weeks now while also thinking about how winning the division isn't that far fetched.. it's getting closer to a real possibility every week.
Posted By: jfanent Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 04:36 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: cle23

We need to win tonight. Steelers need to lose to Bengals. We could actually lose to the Jets in this scenario and we'd win the division I believe by way of best win percentage vs common opponents.... we beat Washington, they didn't.

There's other scenarios, but I'm ok with this one.

I don't think we can overstate how important our timely bye week was in this playoff chase. We were able to rest, recover and reload. We have been on fire since. Pitt on the other hand were robbed of their bye week, only getting a couple extra days off at the last minute. They also had to play several games on short rests, including 3 in the last 11 days. They are injured, fatigued and out of gas.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 04:43 PM
I feel really bad for them.

rofl
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/14/20 04:43 PM
So you're saying the Gods are finally smiling on the Browns!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 04:55 AM
http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 05:19 AM
These next two games are basically must win games at this point. The week 16 game between the Raiders and Dolphins is also huge. It would be extremely helpful if the Ravens lost but their next three games are against the Jaguars, Giants, and Bengals.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 05:30 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
These next two games are basically must win games at this point.

With that said, if the offense plays like it did against the Titans and Ravens we won't lose to the Giants or Jets.
Posted By: jaybird Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 05:32 AM

With that said, if the offense plays like it did against the Titans and Ravens we won't lose to the Giants or Jets.

yeah offense has been on fire the last couple of games...

we win these next two and we're in... 11-5 gets us in I think
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 05:38 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybird

yeah offense has been on fire the last couple of games...

we win these next two and we're in... 11-5 gets us in I think

There aren't many scenarios where we're 11-5 and miss the playoffs. Just in case it'd be helpful if the Patriots beat the Dolphins next week.

10-6 and it starts to get super iffy.
Posted By: jaybird Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 05:49 AM
yeah... I'd feel really good if we win the next two games...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 10:11 AM
I think the next game is the going to determine if we get in or not. If we lose, things get dicey
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 01:39 PM
It won't matter if the D can't lock down the win. This Rat loss really says a bunch about team.

Giving up 50 or thereabouts can't lead anybody to expect many wins. Not that they gave it up, but did it so easily.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 01:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
It won't matter if the D can't lock down the win. This Rat loss really says a bunch about team.

Giving up 50 or thereabouts can't lead anybody to expect many wins. Not that they gave it up, but did it so easily.

Yep - we'll be lucky to get to .500 this year.

This isn't hard... just use the dang playoff machine that's been posted.

Plug in what you think the results will be - see if we make it.

Plug in some variable results - see what impact it has.

smh.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 01:50 PM
To me, it was the way the D gave it away that really drives home the point.

-Sendejo doing Sendejo things.... and he really hasn't gotten any better in the defense and we haven't been able to bump him down the roster at all.
-We had the vaunted Ravens D on the ropes and then had yakety-sax style execution on the most critical plays (on the one play the defense neutralized 4 of its own players without any help from the offense).
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 01:51 PM
These next two games are basically must win games at this point. The week 16 game between the Raiders and Dolphins is also huge. It would be extremely helpful if the Ravens lost but their next three games are against the Jaguars, Giants, and Bengals.

There are 7 playoff spots in the AFC, last year there were 6.

The Browns have clinched 10th place in the afc.
Another win 10-6 clinches only 9th place in the afc without other, unlikely, help.

Two more wins, 11-5 would only clinch a playoff spot with a loss by any of Miami, Indy, Tenn, in their final 3.

If, Indy, Miami, and Tenn, all win their final 3, (and Bills win any one) then the Browns are eliminated unless they reach 12-4 which means Browns must win all 3.

One at a time.
If the Browns win all 3, 12-4 they clinch a playoff berth without any other help.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 02:02 PM
Ran several with us winning against the NY teams and losing to Pitt while the ravens win out... 6th or 7th seed is the worst we got.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 02:04 PM
That's where I have it too.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 02:07 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Ran several with us winning against the NY teams and losing to Pitt while the ravens win out... 6th or 7th seed is the worst we got.
same here. I’ve already chalked up the Pitt game as a loss.

The Giants game is the make or break game IMO
Posted By: devicedawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 02:48 PM
We have the tiebreaker vs the Titans and Colts. I believe we'd also have the tiebreaker vs the Dolphins...assuming we tie conference record.

If we both finish 10-6 and tied for the 7th spot, we would own the tiebreaker as long as it's not the Giants we beat.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 03:59 PM
we have to win 2 of 3 and the Dolphins, Colts or Rats have to lose 1 game.

If the Titans end up 11-5 behind the Colts (Colts taking the division), then that 3rd place poison pill could knock us out even with 2 wins. Titans would qualify 1st over the other 2 second place teams (Dolphins and Ravens), so the head to head means nothing to Tennessee.

I still like our odds smile
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 04:59 PM
I think the next game is the going to determine if we get in or not. If we lose, things get dicey

If we lose to the Gmen, the Steelers game becomes almost a must win or we are going to be scoreboard watching..

There is this underlying tone in a lot of peoples posts that they are writing off the Steelers game as a loss.. I think we will beat the Steelers. I think our D matches up much better against a BigBen type of QB than it does against a Lamar Jackson type of QB. The key against the Steelers would be keeping Baker reasonably protected.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 06:03 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

If we lose to the Gmen, the Steelers game becomes almost a must win or we are going to be scoreboard watching..

There is this underlying tone in a lot of peoples posts that they are writing off the Steelers game as a loss.. I think we will beat the Steelers. I think our D matches up much better against a BigBen type of QB than it does against a Lamar Jackson type of QB. The key against the Steelers would be keeping Baker reasonably protected.

We definitely match up with an offense like Ben & Conner a whole lot better. The fact that he's close to being a statue back there helps us a lot.... if we can just keep his targets covered for 3 seconds so that we can get to him.
Posted By: Hammer Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 06:16 PM
He has been getting the ball out quicker than any other QB these days. I recall hearing that on Sunday night's broadcast.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 06:17 PM
Heard that too...

Did anybody else hear the stat that the Browns are the only team in the NFL that hasn't started a single player on offense over the age of 30? This team is young and should only get better.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 06:24 PM
j/c...

Browns will make the playoffs. Basically punched our ticket with the win against TEN. Not even a little bit concerned about the games against NYG and NYJ.

Good shot to beat Pittsburgh as well. Their offense has been atrocious lately. They may even be resting their starters the final week. If nothing else, rest Roethlisberger so he is healthy to throw 50 four yard passes in the playoffs.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 06:49 PM
Last nights game was a game we could have won but didn't deserve to because of the mistakes. If we made the extra point and field goal we would have won. The INT. was like giving them 7 points. Tough loss. What's really frustrating is seeing Jackson run like he does and get those big gains and 1st downs. He does it more and better than anybody. I wasn't expecting us to win so I didn't get too upset. The thing I was most upset about was them getting the TD right before the half. Our coaches should know better because it happens too much. Take as much time off the clock so they won't have time to get the ball back and score. It's been going on forever.
Posted By: Hammer Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 07:24 PM
Agree with the play calling at end of half. 2nd and 3, run the ball and take some time off the clock, but they decided to pass - incomplete 4 yard pass to Hunt. Stopped the clock. 3rd and 3, pass complete for a 1st down, but OPI called on Jones (BS call by the way). Now 3rd and 13 and behind the sticks. Gave the ball back with way too much time on the clock. Was not expecting a Ravens TD, but a FG. Unfortunately our defense was absolutely putrid.

Should have gone into the half up 3 with a late drive or at least tied. Instead, we were down 7.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 07:35 PM
It was almost like we were surprised with how easily we scored on them in the 4th quarter. That was a hot knife through butter ...
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 08:15 PM
Quote:
What's really frustrating is seeing Jackson run like he does and get those big gains and 1st downs. He does it more and better than anybody.

I wanted so desperately for somebody to get a good clean shot at him but nobody ever seems to get that. He is so smooth, it looks like he's not even trying when he makes people miss.. so damn frustrating.

Quote:
The thing I was most upset about was them getting the TD right before the half. Our coaches should know better because it happens too much. Take as much time off the clock so they won't have time to get the ball back and score. It's been going on forever.

Maybe... but on 3rd down we completed a nice 14 yard pass and Peoples-Jones gets called for OPI when he wasn't even in the play. I have no problem with us playing to score the TD there and being aggressive, just be smarter.

Along those same lines though, I knew we scored too quick at the end, giving them the ball with over a minute and 2 TOs and Justin Tucker? Yea, I knew he was going to get a shot at it. I was actually glad we forced it to be a 50+ yarder. I was expecting a 35 yard chip shot. When Hunt went for the goal line, I was glad he scored but part of me was hoping they ruled him down and we had to run a couple more plays. At least make them burn the TOs.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 08:33 PM
I don't agree. While playing against a QB that can burn you with his feet like Lamar can (and did) is rough, their offense revolves around moving the ball on the ground and generally is much less potent when they don't have the lead.
Our strength on D (if we have one) is stopping the run (we're doing ok on the year).

Pitt, on the other hand, passes the ball well (and a lot). I don't think I have to explain how bad we are defending the pass. Our main strength vs the pass is our passrush, which is largely mitigated by Ben getting the ball out fast.

Neither Pitt nor Balt have exactly been firing on all cylinders on offense lately, but a quick-strike air attack is probably most effective vs our D.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 08:39 PM
Pittsburghs problems will suddenly disappear when they play us. Bank on it.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/15/20 08:43 PM
I still disagree. I give our secondary a fighting chance to cover for 2-3 seconds to try to give our pass rush a chance to get to Ben standing in one place like a statue.

I give our secondary almost no chance to cover for 6-7 seconds when a mobile QB gets out of the pocket and starts to improvise... especially when they are worried that the QB might just tuck it and run for 30 yards.

in short, playing against Ben is about being in the right scheme and doing your job for a relatively short period of time and making sure tackles.

playing against Lamar is about having tremendously talented and athletic DBs who can go off-script and still make plays.

Our DBs aren't great at the first.. but they certainly aren't good enough to do the second.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 01:53 AM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
We have the tiebreaker vs the Titans and Colts. I believe we'd also have the tiebreaker vs the Dolphins...assuming we tie conference record.

If we both finish 10-6 and tied for the 7th spot, we would own the tiebreaker as long as it's not the Giants we beat.

That is incorrect vs the dolphins because, it appears you are counting 8-4 conf record for the Browns
vs a 7-5 conf record for the dolphins, which is not correct information.

After head to head is void because the Browns did not play the dolphins this year, then if both clubs are 10-6, not being in the same div. the "very first" next tie break is conf record.

Now, Since the Browns lost to the Ravens, the Browns current record is
9-4, . 6-4, x-x. overall, conf. and div, division record does not apply in this case.

While the Dolphins are 8-5, 5-4, x-x, overall, conf. and division.

The Dolphins, playing only afc teams remaining, if they reach 10-6 to have the same record as your claim a 10-6 Browns, must win 2 afc , thus by default their afc record moves
from 5-4 to 7-5

Whereas the Browns would only get 1 more conf win, as they will only have 1 more (any type win to get to 10, but not 11.

So the Browns 9-4, 6-4 today, would only equal the dolphins in afc record if they stop at 10 wins
10-6 -7-5, (unless they find a tie to > greater than them in this the clubs would go to the next tie breaker.)

The Browns lose a tie break with the dolphins, this is my explaining it in detail.

By rule the next tie break tween Browns Dolphins if, Browns only win 10 and dolphs do the same:
is Common games minimum 4. (under two clubs, not the same division rule)

Common Games Browns Dolphins are,
1 Jaguars, both clubs beat.
2. Jets, Dolphins swept (2), Browns (tbd)-still to play.
3. Bengals, Browns swept (2), dolphins already beat.
4. Raiders, Browns lost, dolphins (tbd) still to play.

tally, Browns 3-1, (1 tbd).
Dolphins, 4-0, (1tbd). so,

Even in the Browns best case scenario, (at 10-6 vs. dolph tie-ing them at 10-6) that ^particular tie break ends tied 4-1, vs 4-1, and they move on to the next tie break.

the next tie break by rule is strength of victory.
(here's where I'm ignorant, I'm assuming this worded means the margin of points scored vs points given up in the games the club won, and those only, ie. "margin of victory,- in wins.

The dolphins v Browns 8 v 9 wins were by these margins. beginning to end.

Dolph 18 pts. over jags ... Browns 5 pts over bengals
Dolph 26 pts. over 49ers ... Browns 14 pts over WFT
Dolph 24 pts. over jets ... Browns 11 pts. over cowboys
dolph 11 pts. over rams ... Browns 9 pts. over colts
Dolph 3 pts. over cards ... Browns 3 pts. over bengals
Dolph 8 pts. over chargers ... Browns 3 pts. over Texans
Dolph 17 pts. over jets ... Browns 5 pts. over eagles
Dolph 12 pts. over bengals ... Browns 2 pts. over jaguars
dolph, end 8; ; ---- ----- ... Browns 6 pts. over titans, end 9

for a tally of Dophins 119 pts /8 wins, 14.875 pt margin. With 2 games to add

Browns with, 58 pts / 9 wins, 6.444 pt margin. With 1 game to add.

( if the dolphins 2 wins were only 1 pt, and 1 pt, they'd have 121 /10 for 12.1 avg)

Which means the Browns one win would have to be 64 pts more than their opponent, + equaling any points above a 1 point margin the dolphins would get in the combined remaining 2 wins this scenario requires, for the Browns to win this tie break)

otherwise, dolphins move on, Browns are eliminated.
for example. if the Dolphins win by 10, and by 10, the Browns would have to win by 84, to win the tie break, 83 to equal, or 82 for elimination.

Or Browns could just win 2+ games instead of only 1

Edit:: or 3 games instead of only 2, this tie break still occurs if both teams finish 11-5.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 02:15 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I'm not sure how your forecaster works, but I suggest start out giving the Titans and Colts both a 12-4 record.

This would be the 4th consecutive year the top 2 of the AFC South div, have performed very well in the final 5-6 games of the reg season.
It's not unreasonable to start with them both at 12-4 which is a worst case scenario for the Browns.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 02:53 AM
I am almost POSITIVE we will give the Jets their first win.

Typical Browns.

9-7, 10-6 at best.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 08:18 AM
Uhh.
Click to reveal..
THAT'S CRAZY! notallthere
and they play the Giants this week.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 12:00 PM
You may be correct.

I assumed 7-5 for both as well as a tie in common opponents.

I looked at strength of victory and right now we're "dominating" them. But I suppose that could change in the final 3 games?
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 12:40 PM
We need to win out. According to that espn playoffs. Machine if we only lose one of the remaining three games and the dolphin and ravens win out then we are out. The possibility of the dolphins winning out is above 50% in my opinion. They play the Patriots this sunday. We all know this is not the typical Patriots we are used to. Then they play the raider who are pretty much out of the playoffs, so I doubt they will be giving it thier all as thier season is technically over. Then they have the Bill's in the final week, however since the Bill's own the head to head over the Steelers I doubt they play thier starters unless the chiefs lose thier next two games and the first over all seed is up for grabs. As for the ravens. All they have to do is beat the jags, giants and Bengals, which I thi I they have at least a 85% chance of doing. The colts and titans each have only one tough opponent left. The colts have the Steelers and titans have the packers. They if both win along with ravens and dolphins we are out.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 12:44 PM
I don't think these are your typical Browns.
Posted By: Hammer Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 02:52 PM
On Tap Week 15:

1. Chargers over Raiders
2. Patriots over Dolphins
3. Jaguars over Ravens
4. Texans over Colts
5. Lions over Titans
6. Browns over Giants

Easy peasy...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 02:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
On Tap Week 15:

1. Chargers over Raiders
2. Patriots over Dolphins
3. Jaguars over Ravens
4. Texans over Colts
5. Lions over Titans
6. Browns over Giants

Easy peasy...

That would be nice lol. Realistically I think the Pats could upset the Dolphins. That might be about it IMO
Posted By: Hammer Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 02:59 PM
I think the Chargers could beat the Raiders as well.
Posted By: Hammer Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 04:07 PM
The strength of victory (SOV) is the combined record of all teams that were beaten in that schedule.

It has nothing to do with points and everything to do with the records of the teams beaten.

Dolphins -> Strength of victory: .274
Browns -> Strength of victory: .363
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 04:08 PM
Originally Posted By: slick
We need to win out. According to that espn playoffs. Machine if we only lose one of the remaining three games and the dolphin and ravens win out then we are out. The possibility of the dolphins winning out is above 50% in my opinion. They play the Patriots this sunday. We all know this is not the typical Patriots we are used to. Then they play the raider who are pretty much out of the playoffs, so I doubt they will be giving it thier all as thier season is technically over. Then they have the Bill's in the final week, however since the Bill's own the head to head over the Steelers I doubt they play thier starters unless the chiefs lose thier next two games and the first over all seed is up for grabs. As for the ravens. All they have to do is beat the jags, giants and Bengals, which I thi I they have at least a 85% chance of doing. The colts and titans each have only one tough opponent left. The colts have the Steelers and titans have the packers. They if both win along with ravens and dolphins we are out.

BBS tells me this could happen, but you're talking about...
COLTS
DOLPHINS
RAVENS
TITANS
... all winning every game. And that is the ONLY scenario that keeps us out of the playoffs with one more loss.

Not saying it can't happen... but it ain't happening.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 06:29 PM
for the over-anxious group thinking that the Dolphins Raiders can both be in the playoffs...

both of them can not win all of their remaining games (they play each other)

Also:

the Colts or Raiders cannot win all of their remaining games
(they play each other)
Finally:

the Bills Dolphins and Patriots cannot all win their remaining games (they play each other)

this is why I wanted the Titans in the top seed with the Bills and this is why the Browns have an 80% chance of being in the playoffs if they win 2 of their last 3.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 06:46 PM
I think if we beat the Giants and the Jets we should be in ... 11-5 should be good enough
Posted By: jfanent Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 07:07 PM
I think if we beat the Giants and the Jets we should be in ... 11-5 should be good enough

I think TL explained why it won't. Not that I could decipher those volumes. smile
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 09:50 PM
Originally Posted By: jfanent

I think TL explained why it won't. Not that I could decipher those volumes. smile

TL is confused about part of the equation. I've tried to explain it but gave up.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 09:54 PM
Quote:
The possibility of the dolphins winning out is above 50% in my opinion.

Home against the Patriots
On the Road against the Raiders
On the Road against the Bills

They could very easily lose 2 or all of those games. I don't see how you get the odds of them pulling off the sweep is above 50%. The Browns have a better chance to win out than the Dolphins do.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 10:06 PM
Quote:

They could very easily lose 2 or all of those games. I don't see how you get the odds of them pulling off the sweep is above 50%. The Browns have a better chance to win out than the Dolphins do.
I hope the Bills don’t rest guys .. that’s a tough game if Buffalo plays full strength
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 10:07 PM
Quote:

I agree. Raiders will be out for blood regardless of playoff chances, Bills may be playing for top seed... Chiefs still face the Saints and Chargers, say what you will, but the Chargers have beaten Mahommes before and took them to OT earlier this year.

I'd put the Dolphins chance for a sweep at about 20%.

Edit: And wow, just looked it up... surprised to see the Pats and Phins have split 6 out of the last 7 years. Miami won earlier this season, and hasn't swept in twenty seasons.

Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 11:10 PM
Hope you are right. I hope we win in rather than back in, but we have already exceeded my expectations.

Unleash. The. Elf!
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 11:15 PM
If we win 2 of 3, the only team that can get in via the 3rd place poison pill is the Titans (that's assuming the Colts take the division).

We need to win two and either the Dolphins, Colts or Ravens have to lose 1.

or

as in...they have to do better than a combined 8-1 in those 9 games between them.

The Raiders have already lost 6.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/16/20 11:49 PM
Obviously Baltimore losing would be the BEST possible hope, though their schedule is so beneficial the last few weeks
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/17/20 12:32 AM
Glad I'm wrong about the strength of victory.

Miss the playoffs?
Screw it! Maybe the Browns can get better than 3rd place in the div. next year.

(But their in 2nd place now?, ((((((((ya but the oilers, have the run and shoot, Glanville, Buddy, Warren Moon ain't losing another, Givens' and that passing game nobody is going to stop them, no way they lose one of their last 3, it's doomed)))))))))
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/17/20 01:42 PM
Call me crazy, but I have this very strange feeling that Jacksonville may get the best of them. I can't rationalize it though.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/17/20 01:49 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Call me crazy, but I have this very strange feeling that Jacksonville may get the best of them. I can't rationalize it though.
fingerscrossed
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/17/20 01:51 PM

I actually think the Giants are going to beat the Ravens.

There D is legit - I think they shut down the Birds and will only need 16 points - maybe 14 to win the game. I think that's possible.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/17/20 06:11 PM
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I actually think the Giants are going to beat the Ravens.

There D is legit - I think they shut down the Birds and will only need 16 points - maybe 14 to win the game. I think that's possible.

with Freddy Kitchens calling plays? LOL...
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/17/20 06:47 PM
I want to readily bag on Freddy, and even outright discount what he did here in 2018 - afterall, there were plenty of reports that it was all someone else prepping those games and not him - but, the simple fact is this: you cannot take anyone lightly. Prepare for every team as if the people running them are the demon offpsring of Lombardi, Brown, Belichick, and Weird Al. Expect to get their best and also not know WTF is coming.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 01:47 AM
Call me crazy, but I have this very strange feeling that Jacksonville may get the best of them.

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 03:06 AM
I agree with that.

I hope he stinks it up and we win
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 05:14 AM
Thank you Chargers. Any distance is appreciated.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 05:24 AM
Yep, makes it just a little bit clearer.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 05:25 AM
Yup... if Pittsburgh loses out and we win out, we're the #3 seed and own the Division.

and for those clamoring for a rematch with Baltimore, there is a scenario where we end up the #3 seed and they the #6 seed and we play each other in the first round.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 05:32 AM
I think the Steelers will put an end to the "losing out" scenario this week against the Bengals. We would have to wait until the 2nd round to play the Ravens again
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 10:19 AM
Four teams for three spots now:

Cleveland
Baltimore
Indianapolis/Tennessee
Miami
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 12:38 PM

Miami plays the Patriots, Raiders, and the Bills.

That may well end their hope.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 01:33 PM

Jamison Hensley
@jamisonhensley
The Ravens' playoff chances increased from 85.7% to 89% when the Raiders lost to the Chargers on Thursday night.

Current playoff chances for AFC wild-card contenders

Ravens 89%
Colts 87.3%
Browns 86.5%
Dolphins 33.2%
Raiders 4.6%
Patriots 4%

Source: ESPN analytics
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 01:48 PM
Happy birthday! Hope we manage to get in. Enjoy!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 01:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Happy birthday! Hope we manage to get in. Enjoy!
thanks Bard ... I’ll take a W Sunday
Posted By: teedub Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 02:05 PM
Not to get to far ahead of ourselves, but getting third in tge division may not be a horrible thing this year. This could be our first of many years in the playoffs with a new coach and system in the year of covid (not sure anyone expected this turn around). Getting third in the division gets us a third place schedule in Stefanskis 2nd year. That means patriots, Houston and denver/chargers vs titans/colts, Miami, and raiders.

Pick your poison i guess.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 02:07 PM
Yeah, schedule-wise it might benefit us a bit next year, though who knows how teams turn out.

To me, just have Miami lose once and have us beat the Giants and Jets.

If we lose to the Giants it gets tricky
Posted By: jfanent Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 04:24 PM

Jamison Hensley
@jamisonhensley
The Ravens' playoff chances increased from 85.7% to 89% when the Raiders lost to the Chargers on Thursday night.

Current playoff chances for AFC wild-card contenders

Ravens 89%
Colts 87.3%
Browns 86.5%
Dolphins 33.2%
Raiders 4.6%
Patriots 4%

Source: ESPN analytics

Just looking at that, it's scary how quickly we'll drop with a loss or two. Happy birthday!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 04:33 PM
I agree... next game is vital. Thanks buddy
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 06:11 PM
I find it interesting that the Ravens have a better chance than us even though we have the better record.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 06:14 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I find it interesting that the Ravens have a better chance than us even though we have the better record.

Thought the same exact thing.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 06:20 PM
I think it’s simply that they have the tie breaker and an easier schedule
Posted By: oobernoober Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 06:22 PM
Does strength of remaining opponents play into it? I believe the Steelers pretty much have a cakewalk ahead of them.

It also could be the they hold tiebreakers over us. It's good enough that they finish same as us, whereas we need to finish ahead of them.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 06:38 PM
Well, Pittsburgh plays at Cincy, vs Indy, and at Cleveland

Baltimore’s is much easier: Jacksonville, Giants, at Cincy
Posted By: OrangeCrush Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 07:01 PM

The FPI system that ESPN uses doesn't think the Browns are very good this year. It pretty much always expects us not to cover the spread. I think it only give us a 56% chance of beating the Giants, which is why our playoff % is lower than maybe expected.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 07:30 PM
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush

The FPI system that ESPN uses doesn't think the Browns are very good this year. It pretty much always expects us not to cover the spread. I think it only give us a 56% chance of beating the Giants, which is why our playoff % is lower than maybe expected.

The Browns have what are considered to be 2 really iffy games @Jets and Pitts. (The Jets are almost a ginme)

The Ravens schedule if far easier, with 3 should wins.

If we win 2, and the Ravens win all 3, they would tie us, and take the upper spot based on their sweep of us.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 07:32 PM
It would be really, really nice to win the next two games. If we do that it’s almost assured we’re in. The last thing I want is to play PIttsburgh with us HAVING to win
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 07:45 PM
It would be really, really nice to win the next two games. If we do that it’s almost assured we’re in. The last thing I want is to play PIttsburgh with us HAVING to win

The last thing the NFL wants is the Browns playing Pittsburgh with Nothing on the line.

But that doesn't matter this week. What matters this week is the Giants game.

I'll tell you this, If the Browns lose to the Giants, the Browns will miss the playoffs.

If they are healthy, they should dominate the Giants.
Posted By: thedawggene Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 08:03 PM
But you said that last week about the Ravens game. You're likely right about this week, given the maths have gotten more clear, but you were bound to be right eventually. No points awarded.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 09:32 PM
Last week the Browns missed the chance to put the Ravens beneath them for this entire figuring out of the playoffs seedings scenario for this year. Instead the Browns are looking up at the Ravens for the remainder of it.
Given their likely pummeling of the Jags, Giants, and bengals, of course.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 09:37 PM
Agreed. I can't see the Ravens losing any of their last 3 games. We lost a golden opportunity Monday night to put them away and put ourselves in a great position for the playoffs. We all know why.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/18/20 11:26 PM
Week 15: GO JAGUARS!!!!!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/19/20 03:52 AM
Go Browns!

then Texans, Patriots, Jaguars, then Lions, (Chargers already helped on Thursday,) and Go Bengals, pff. ya right)
in that order.

Because, actually there's a wish to keep the Titans ahead of the Colts, which means tied with the divisional tie breaker, for a small case,

But really, just

Go Browns,
Good news, is if the Browns win all 3, starting with the Giants,

they don't need other help.

You can only play one team at a time.
Get a win against the Giants!

And don't even make it close.

ON paper the Browns overmatch the Giants by a million.
Go turn in the paper!

If Hunt, Chubb, Hooper, Njoku, LANDRY, Higgins and all the others' are playing, then on paper the Browns outmatch the Giants by a factor of 2!

2! Two, I mean, half those guys still out match the G men's star power. 1. v 1.
Half those guys play, you still have more playmakers by a majority!
HALF!

On paper, Go, Turn in the paper! Don't even make it close. Dominate this game like the other side would if they could.

Don't let off the Gas, get Everybody rolling!

The Browns' game is the one that matters most!
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/19/20 03:24 PM
I want us to make the playoffs in the worse way as I'm sure everyone on this board does. It's not just to end the longest playoff drought but to give our young Browns playoff experience for the future. I'm always cautious, being a Browns fan for 53 years will do that, but I'm hoping for the best. We should beat the Giants but knowing us it probably won't be easy. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/19/20 04:57 PM
Looks excellent
First we have ward play shutdown there best receiver
Against there secondary with all pros at all three levels this is a nightmare for there defense.
Chubb and hunt are better than anything they have seen all year.
I look for the Browns to run the clock out in the 4th quarter for the win
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 11:27 AM
GC. The site I use has as of last night, Browns 1st round playoff probabilities of matchup.

( Bills and Titans leading, as they've been but the Steelers have jumped up since the Bills win yesterday.)

At Bills, 28%
At Titans 25%, host Titans, 1%
At Steelers 24%, host Steelers <1%
At Colts, 10%, host Colts <1%
At Chiefs, 1%
A group of ... all <1%
And Elimination, No playoffs, 10%

There you have it, for what it's worth.
Beat the Giants!
also, FWIW, Best case scenario drops the elimination to 3% with a Browns Win and Patriots beat dolphins,

Worst case scenario raises the probability of elimination to 20% with Browns loss and dolphins beat pats,
they also mention Bengals, vs Steelers for no reason I understand.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 01:58 PM

And Elimination, No playoffs, 10%

HOLD THE PRESS.

Pretty certain I saw you write multiple posts fervently claiming if we lost to the Ravens last week we were OUT of the playoffs? Period.

You just wrote we have a 90% probability - based on the site you use - of making the playoffs?

Can you please clarify. I find it hard to keep up and I haven't had my second cup of coffee yet.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 02:21 PM
Just sort of curious but, how many people think the Browns can make a real push for a SB appearance?

I think that if we can get a few players back and healthy we have the horses to make a real run. I have always thought that any team experiencing the 1st time in the playoffs were bound to lose and that it was part of the growing process to get in and lose then once understanding what it takes to get to the dance they were better prepared for what they would face in the PO and in the SB to follow.

I see non of that in the current Browns team. They have come together and work and fight together like no team I remember. On top of all that in the middle of a pandemic. Home field this season isn't going to be the advantage it would be in a normal year either.

If we can get Harrison back and a fully healthy Ward on D and get and keep Teller on the field I think we have a great shot at winning it all. I have a clear picture of what we will face but this offense is off the charts when healthy. Between Bake, Chubb, Hunt, Landry, Hopper, Bryant, Higgens, Hodge, we are nearly impossible to stop.

Who else thinks we can get it done? Or am I just having a nice dream?
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 02:23 PM

I mean you probably will need the to drink the pot.

And then hire an interpreter
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 02:39 PM
I don't think we have much of a prayer. Would love to come out of this with a playoff win to build on.

Defense wins championships... Cliche? Maybe in the case of the Chiefs, or back in the days of "the greatest show on turf", but we're not near that level yet. QB is not a finished product and WRs are still either "not a threat" or not yet ready for prime time.

The defense? Is terrible. I know we had strung together a few decent games before the recent rash of injuries, but there will be injuries in the playoffs as well. "Next man up" wouldn't have a roster spot on most of the teams heading to the post season.

I get what you're saying, and there is nothing wrong with dreaming - and yes - "any given Sunday". I'm just not getting my hopes up.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 03:37 PM
Sure. Why not? Somebody has to win it.

I refuse to look beyond tonight. But as well, let's not argue only about our own weaknesses, players lost to injuries, new injuries, and all the rest. Other teams are fighting the same war of attrition that we face. Stefanski is learning, and has shown an ability to troubleshoot slap-patch fixes that have worked. Woods needs help. But we are playing for something this late for a change. Which lesser goal should good fans favor/

Go, Browns. Just win, baby!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 04:07 PM
Any Given Sunday.

Unfortunately, our defense isn't that great and we need more "Any Given's" that statistical probability allows for. We are almost a shoe-in for the play-offs as long as we get it done tonight and next week.
After that, we *might* get one playoff win, but making it all the way there is a stretch, I think.

That said: when I look at the other teams headed to the playoffs from the AFC, I see a whole bunch of teams we can stand toe-to-toe with. I respect what these teams can do, but I do not fear the Titans, Ravens, Steelers, or whomever the 7th Seed will be. Only the Bills and Chiefs give me pause and there's a chance they play each other before we get to one of them..... so, an AFC Title Game appearance is not outright unthinkable, and if it isn't unthinkable, then why NOT think Super Bowl?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 05:25 PM
We certainly lack the defense to make a playoff run. I'm not even sure we have the consistency of offense yet. We certainly have seen flashes of it. We have made huge strides in the right direction and I'm very happy with the progress.

It causes me to think of the old saying, "We have miles to go before we sleep".

The journey we needed to travel in order to be NFL champions was a long, hard and arduous road to travel. We are well on our way along that journey but we still have some miles to go.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 05:37 PM
I love a good Robert Frost allusion
Posted By: jfanent Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 05:42 PM
I just look at the 1980 Raiders. A wildcard team that everybody wrote off. This year, every single one of the elite teams have shown major flaws as we go down the stretch.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 05:42 PM
I just look at the 1980 Raiders. A wildcard team that everybody wrote off. This year, every single one of the elite teams have shown major flaws as as we go down the stretch.
yeah, honestly the Bills look like the “best” right now. Even the Chiefs haven’t looked great compared to what they could
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 05:54 PM

What makes sports is upsets. That is why we watch.

Certainly we would be underdogs.

However, I do believe this Brown's team could upset any team in football.

Like you said we need all of our guys. Harrison, Ward, Teller have to be there.
=================================

The main reason I believe it is possible begins with the offensive line.

Then our run game. When you can effectively run the ball you can control the clock. Possession football can negate another teams offensive fire power.

Defense. It is our weakness. However, we are not weak on the DL. We are weak at linebacker and the secondary.

If we can rush the passer. It gives us a chance. That and the fact we have been successful in the turnover battle. Ward and Harrison are super important.

Offensively we can be big trouble for any team we play.

So, absolutely I do believe we can win it all.

KC is the cream of the AFC. But us along with the Bills, Steelers, Ravens, are all capable of upsetting any team.

In the NFC it doesn't matter till the Super Bowl.

If we get there. Certainly we can win it.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 07:02 PM
I just look at the 1980 Raiders. A wildcard team that everybody wrote off. This year, every single one of the elite teams have shown major flaws as we go down the stretch.

If we win the last three and look good doing it, I'll believe we can go all the way.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 08:33 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/upshot/cleveland-browns-nfl-playoff-picture.html

Interactive playoff chance site NY Times
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 08:52 PM
Everyone we needed to lose won so lets do this ourselves
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 08:54 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
yeah, we’re going to have to win out .. and even if we do, we’d still need Miami/Baltimore to lose one
Posted By: leadtheway Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 08:57 PM
if we win out we don't need either team to lose one
Posted By: Pdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 08:58 PM
yeah, we’re going to have to win out .. and even if we do, we’d still need Miami/Baltimore to lose one

No. If we win out we are in as the number 5 seed
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 09:06 PM

?????

If we win out, we are 12-4.

The best record any WC contender had coming into this week was Indy, the same as us at 9-3, so they could also finish at 12-4 if they win out, but we beat them, so if we both win out, we get the #5 seed. (both 12-4)

No one else started any higher than 8 wins. That means that the best they could be is 11-5.

I suppose that the Raiders are still in in, but just barely.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 09:06 PM
Titans Play @ GB and @TEXANS - We Have Tie Breaker

Colts Play @ PITTSBURGH and @ JAX - We Have Tie Breaker

Dolphins @ RAIDERS and @ Bills

Rats NYG @ BENGALS

If We Can Take Out The NYG and NYJ we should be in the Playoffs
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 09:08 PM
Per the site I posted above, IF we beat the 2 NY's then our chances are 99% in the playoffs

IF we lose all 3 the chance is 10%

IF we only beat the jets it's 78%
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 09:50 PM
If we beat NYG & NYJ, and

(Raiders beat Miami) -OR-
(Steelers beat Colts) next week, we're in.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 10:17 PM
I think it can be done for a lot of the same reasons already mentioned. Maybe a little premature to talk about it which I'm sure you realize however, we are talking about playoffs so it wouldn't be totally unwarranted.

For me personally, presuming we make the playoffs, IF we win that first wild card game, I'm all in on declaring a Super Bowl run. I don't see any reason why anyone wouldn't be. Yes there are some powerhouses in there. Yes we may not match up so well because of our defense. But it will also be the closest to everyone being on the same level. Win streaks don't matter. PF and PA don't matter. Its all about going 1-0 week to week, something our team has clearly embraced.

I guess for me if we've managed to get out of that Wild Card weekend why hamstring ourselves? This team does have some major fixes to work on in the offseason, but overall they've clearly exceeded expectations. The thing about that is we won't know just how far or for how long they'll accomplish that until the last play of the season....

Posted By: BADdog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/20/20 10:24 PM
If we beat NYG & NYJ, and

the Steelers we are in smile
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 12:50 AM
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Per the site I posted above, IF we beat the 2 NY's then our chances are 99% in the playoffs

IF we lose all 3 the chance is 10%

IF we only beat the jets it's 78%

ABSOLUTE, ridiculous, False!

I Guarantee, the Colts, Titans, and Dolphins are not all losing 2 more.

If anyone hasn't been paying attention,
The Ravens are going to finish 11-5

The Colts and Titans are not losing anything! And the Easiest path for NO Browns in playoffs is the Colts and Titans both a game better than the Browns.

The Dolphins aren't losing anything either!

Major Meltdown, prepare for either,
WIN ALL 3!

OR

NO PLAYOFFS!

prepare for that!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 12:58 AM
Titans Play @ GB and @TEXANS - We Have Tie Breaker

Colts Play @ PITTSBURGH and @ JAX - We Have Tie Breaker

Dolphins @ RAIDERS and @ Bills

Rats NYG @ BENGALS

If We Can Take Out The NYG and NYJ we should be in the Playoffs

The Titans and Colts, (annual playoff participants 4 years in a row-ish, because of playing like Superman in these last weeks of the season, EACH OF those last 4 YEARS.

And since they each know the Browns have the tie-breaker, they understand the only way to get ahead of the Browns is to get a half game lead by week 17.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 01:07 AM
They don't get to just decide to do that; we have to falter while they do not in order for that to happen.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 01:09 AM
The end of it is this: we are still in control of our fate.
The other teams need help; if nothing else, in the form of us losing.

If we take care of our side of the street, all of the discussion is moo.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 01:19 AM
They don't get to just decide to do that; we have to falter while they do not in order for that to happen.

Exactly, but the only way to do that, since they, (Titans and Colts) are going to win all 3,

the only way for the Browns to keep up is to do the same which is Win all 3!

I've only addressed this to folks who claim the Browns can limp/back into the playoffs without Winning all 3.

It is Win or Go Home time.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 02:00 AM
well, if you get to say they're going to win all three, then I match that by saying we're going to win all three.

That's it, we're in.
Done deal.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 03:53 AM
Nope, they're going onside
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 04:12 AM
We are still in the 5th spot. Woo!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 04:13 AM
10-4 Baby Still 5th in the Playoff Standings and if we beat the Jets and either the Colts Ravens Dolphins or Titans lose we clinch smile
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 04:29 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 04:47 AM
Good news is if the Browns win the next 2, they get a playoff berth.

Browns can clinch this next week if they Beat the Jets and if
the Titans, or Colts, or Dolphins, or Ravens? lose.

Another good news,
Tonights Browns win over the Giants,
officially knocks the
Raiders and Patriots off the table of things in the way of the Browns and their playoff berth.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 05:00 AM
Pats were already eliminated.

So if we beat the dog-ass Jets, does anyone know who we need to lose, to clinch a playoff spot?
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 05:05 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

So if we beat the dog-ass Jets, does anyone know who we need to lose, to clinch a playoff spot?

Titans, Colts, Dolphins or Ravens. Any loss puts us in playoffs. In fact, with a win against the Jets, those four teams would have to go 8-0 the next two weeks to eliminate us if we lose to the Steelers.
Posted By: myka Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 05:43 AM
Originally Posted By: FATE

Titans, Colts, Dolphins or Ravens. Any loss puts us in playoffs. In fact, with a win against the Jets, those four teams would have to go 8-0 the next two weeks to eliminate us if we lose to the Steelers.

Ugh, I hate that there's even a chance cuz of the Refs ruining the MNF game. I know I nkow we won tonight just enjoy it, keep trying to go 1-0 but I'm still so annoyed lol
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 06:08 AM
Originally Posted By: myka

Ugh, I hate that there's even a chance cuz of the Refs ruining the MNF game. I know I nkow we won tonight just enjoy it, keep trying to go 1-0 but I'm still so annoyed lol

Fuhgettaboutit.

Dolphins face an angry Vegas team
Giants win or go home vs Ravens
Tennessee heading to Green Bay
Indy in Pittsburgh to face the Steelers

At least one of those teams is losing this week.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 06:08 AM

The Titans play Green Bay and Houston.

The Colts play Pittsburgh and Jacksonville.

The Dolphins play the Raiders and Buffalo.

The Ravens play the Giants and Cincinnati.

We are sitting pretty.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 10:22 AM
So, we have to WIN against NYJ ... and just have ONE of these teams lose?

Dolphins
Colts
Titans
Ravens

Beautiful
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 11:17 AM
PG.
Still today, there are 8 teams;

Will be out and wondering what happened.

If nobody loses 2 of the last 2-or 3, the still most likely eliminated team appears to be,
Browns, Colts, Dolphins, Ravens.

And I struggle to find a way the Ravens (who I believe will win both) will be out until the Browns beat both the Jets and Steelers.

The Colts don't kick them out,
The Dolphins don't kick them out somehow, but the Dolphins kick the Browns out,
and the Titans and Bills don't kick the Ravens out, I didn't yet find a way the Ravens get kicked out if they win 2, unless the Browns beat both the Jets and the Steelers.

I guess we could get lucky and the Dolphins, or Titans, or Colts, would lose 2 times, but who believes that will happen.

I found a site searching the word playoffs, and it does all sports with so much info
helped me figure out the NHL race 7 years ago, so helpful, just have to select what sport/team to look at.
Posted By: jfanent Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 12:05 PM
We have to consider that in the past 2 weeks, only one of the teams we needed to lose did so (Raiders).
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 12:21 PM
So, we have to WIN against NYJ ... and just have ONE of these teams lose?

Dolphins
Colts
Titans
Ravens

Beautiful

NO! OOPS! I've believed that but I was wrong and this is wrong. Just found a scenario if the only loss,
(the most likely, is the Titans losing to the Packers, ) then the Browns still need to beat the Steelers to get in.

If the, Colts win out, Ravens win out, and Dolphins win out, and Titans only loss is to the Packers,
and the Browns are 11-5 losing to the Steelers, the Browns are eliminated. Here is how.

Chiefs, Stillers, Bills, get the first 3 divisions,
and in this case the "Colts" grab the AFC South at 12-4

then a 4 way tie at 11-5, remove the Browns first, (3rd in division vs 2nd for all others)
A 3 way tie of the Dolphins, Ravens and Titans plays out as,
Ravens removed 7-5 conf rec. vs others 8-4
Tenn. beats Miami 1 v 1 in a 4-1 vs 3-2 common games rec.

So Tennessee gets the spot,
then
Miami gets the spot 8-4 afc vs 7-5 afc
then
the final spot is between Browns vs Ravens.
Ravens get final spot. (2-0 head to head)

So Colts have to lose, or Dolphins, for the Browns to clinch vs the Jets, (unless maybe the Titans lose twice)

And the Ravens could just lose to the Giants or Bengals,

So in the last hour I learned the Titans losing to Green Bay I was counting on as the most likely to happen, really doesn't help. frown

Still good news, if the Browns win all 2, including the home game vs the steelers, then they are in, nothing else matters.
Posted By: BigWillieStyle Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 01:41 PM
The Colts play the Steelers next week and I doubt they win that. The Dolphins play the Raiders and the Bills. Between those three games one of those teams should lose, but as you said beat the Jets and Steelers and it doesn't matter.
Posted By: redddog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 01:51 PM
This team needs to beat the stoolers to be a legit playoff team.

Period.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 02:06 PM
The Steelers have nothing to play for against the Colts, they may even play poorly on purpose so they can have a chance the next week to knock the Browns 11-4 (if they beat the jets) , out of the playoffs before they start.

The Dolphins are playing fantastic football at the moment and the Raiders' if they try and send out Mariotta, well Mariotta sucks more than Glennon or Minshew, and half as much as Finley.

Then, in week 17, the Bills won't have anything to play for, so the Dolphins are in.

I dont' make sports bets, but if you know someone who does, then make a quick buck, bet a straight up Browns miss the playoffs this year, and collect in a couple weeks.

It took me a while to find out how, but now that I know it's possible I'm pretty sure the league would orchestrate events to,

well, look at the Ravens' postponement of season for covid? As soon as I saw Lamar Jackson back for the Cowboy game I knew the Browns aren't making the playoffs, just hadn't figured out the path.

If it can happen, it will, only in Cleveland.

11-5, 6 games over 500,
Swept the entire AFC South,
2 AFC south teams will get in, but the Browns will be out.

Gosh the East Coasters hate Ohio sports.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 02:18 PM
The Steelers have nothing to play for against the Colts, they may even play poorly on purpose so they can have a chance the next week to knock the Browns 11-4 (if they beat the jets) , out of the playoffs before they start.

willynilly

Seriously. Is there a person on the planet that actually believes this?

I dont' make sports bets, but if you know someone who does, then make a quick buck, bet a straight up Browns miss the playoffs this year, and collect in a couple weeks.

willynilly

Your own damn website you quoted said BEFORE we beat the Giants - we had a 10% chance of missing the playoffs.

Your over reaction kneejerk hyperbole is truly exhausting. I think we need a new Forum. "Wild and Crazy Speculative Thoughts" .... That'd help clear out much of the PP stuff too at the moment.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 02:23 PM
Last week the Browns missed the chance to put the Ravens beneath them for this entire figuring out of the playoffs seedings scenario for this year. Instead the Browns are looking up at the Ravens for the remainder of it.
Given their likely pummeling of the Jags, Giants, and bengals, of course.

We are not looking up at them, we just have to win, we control our destiny and will finish ahead of them if we do.

I wanted to beat the Ravens not just to greatly improve our playoff chances but to also solidify our standing in the division AND to hopefully knock them out of the playoffs.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 04:29 PM
Thought we already covered this. smile

The 3rd place poison pill only effects the Browns if it's the Titans.

IE: we need to win one more (preferably next week) and either the Dolphins, Ravens or Colts have to lose one (also preferably next week in case we need to rest some guys in week 17).

Y'all are over-complicating this. smile
Posted By: jfanent Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 04:33 PM
Quote:
Y'all are over-complicating this.

Well then it's a good thing we have you and TL here to straighten us out.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 05:04 PM
j/c https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-can-clinch-playoff-spot-with-week-16-win-and-some-help

Here's what needs to happen: The Browns CLINCH with a WIN over the Jets AND

Miami Dolphins LOSS or TIE to Las Vegas Raiders OR
Baltimore Ravens LOSS or TIE to New York Giants OR
Indianapolis Colts LOSS to Pittsburgh Steelers
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 08:18 PM

What would you do in this hypothetical Browns playoff scenario?
This is a purely fun & hypothetical scenario.

By Chris Pokorny
https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2020/12/21...layoff-scenario

Despite defeating the New York Giants last night, the Cleveland Browns still don’t have a playoff spot locked up — they need to take care of business against the New York Jets. In a worst-case scenario, they’d even have to defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 17 to make it.

Hopefully it doesn’t get to that point — the Browns’ easiest path to a playoff spot would be a win over the Jets next week, combined with a loss by either the Miami Dolphins (against the Las Vegas Raiders) or the Indianapolis Colts (to the Pittsburgh Steelers).

With that said, it’s rare we get to look at crazy playoff scenarios, so let’s take a look at one before we know the outcome of tonight’s Steelers-Bengals game, and I’m curious what you would do if you were in Kevin Stefanski’s shoes.

Hypothetical Scenario
Let’s say the Ravens, Colts, Titans, and Dolphins all finish the season 2-0.

Then, let’s also say the Steelers lose against the Bengals and Colts, while the Browns beat the Jets. That would set up the following scenario in Week 17, in a game that would probably be flexed to Sunday Night Football in this scenario:

What are the stakes in this scenario?
If the Browns beat the Steelers, then Cleveland would win the division (Pittsburgh would be a wildcard).
If the Browns tie the Steelers, then Cleveland would secure a wildcard spot.
If the Browns lose to the Steelers, then Cleveland would miss the playoffs.
What Would You Do?
Let’s say the Browns and Steelers were tied 20-20 at the end of regulation, and the game goes to overtime. Cleveland’s defense comes up with a stop, and Pittsburgh punts the ball away to Cleveland with 2:00 left to go in overtime. In this scenario, Pittsburgh has no timeouts remaining.

If the Browns run some kneeldowns, they are guaranteed a playoff spot.

Or, they could be aggressive and try to move the ball in range for a field goal (or touchdown). But we know how dangerous Pittsburgh’s defense can be, and they aren’t going to sit back and do nothing — they don’t want to lose the AFC North. If the Browns turn it over, then Pittsburgh could kick a field goal to eliminate the Browns’ playoff chances.

There you have it, Browns fans — let us know in the poll and the comments section below what you would do!
Posted By: myka Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: myka

Fuhgettaboutit.

Dolphins face an angry Vegas team
Giants win or go home vs Ravens
Tennessee heading to Green Bay
Indy in Pittsburgh to face the Steelers

At least one of those teams is losing this week.

We still need to beat the Jets or the Steelers tho

And it would just be SO Browns/Jets to ruin both our seasons in 1 game.
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 08:21 PM
"You play. To win. The game".
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/21/20 08:28 PM
In that scenario I’m handing it off to Chubb and Hunt ... and gauging what happens.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:10 AM
I don't root for the Indiana Hoosiers when I watch college football, because the Indiana Hoosiers college football program is a stupid program at a school known for Basketball in sports, not football.

The Indiana Hoosiers, are not taken seriously as a college football program around the rest of college football.

Year after year the Indiana Hoosiers cfp program is only suiting up so that better programs like the Buckeyes, Wolverines, and PSU, have someone to win against.

And apparently I heard the New years day bowls don't want anything to do with the Indiana Hoosiers football this year, even if they've earned a spot.

------

The Browns will miss the playoffs. It's already done.

It was done when they gave the Ravens a 4 week break in the middle of the season because they can't be bothered to play backup QB's.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:33 AM
j/c https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-can-clinch-playoff-spot-with-week-16-win-and-some-help

"abbra cadabra" Browns miss the playoffs. frown

Giants don't belong on the field. L Jackson runs for more td's than they scored all year, 14-2 last year.

Raiders backup, Marcus Mariotta can't beat a piggy bank if he's holding a hammer! (interceptions)

and Steelers don't want to beat the Colts, they have their division spot locked up, and can knock the Browns out of the playoffs next week which is more fun.

So the Steelers can take a dive vs the colts.

( then, Either, Browns beat steelers, which they've done 3 times in the last 38 tries,) or
" Abbra Cadabra" Browns miss the playoffs.

(Ravens game didn't matter?)
(If the Browns had beaten the Ravens on MNF, the Browns would have already clinched a wild card spot!) thumbsup
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:40 AM

"abbra cadabra" Browns miss the playoffs. frown

Giants don't belong on the field. L Jackson runs for more td's than they scored all year, 14-2 last year.

Raiders backup, Marcus Mariotta can't beat a piggy bank if he's holding a hammer! (interceptions)

and Steelers don't want to beat the Colts, they have their division spot locked up, and can knock the Browns out of the playoffs next week which is more fun.

So the Steelers can take a dive vs the colts.

( then, Either, Browns beat steelers, which they've done 3 times in the last 38 tries,) or
" Abbra Cadabra" Browns miss the playoffs.

(Ravens game didn't matter?)
(If the Browns had beaten the Ravens on MNF, the Browns would have already clinched a wild card spot!) thumbsup

Did I miss something? Is Derek carr out? Did he get hurt?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:42 AM
He pulled a groin muscle last week.
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:43 AM
Also what if the titans lose to greenbay?

If the colts, ravens, dolphins and titans all win out then we dont make the playoffs correct?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:46 AM
Only if we lose and they all win
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:49 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Has he already been ruled out this week?
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:50 AM
If are chances of making the playoffs are so low then why does espn keep saying we have a 90% chance of making it?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:51 AM
Not to my knowledge. You got to take Throw Long with a grain of salt.
Posted By: vadawgfan07 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:51 AM
The Steelers could still get the number 1 seed and a first round bye (provided they win tonight). I do not think they roll over for the Colts.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 02:09 AM
Been saying for 2 weeks to stop assuming a loss to the Steelers. Anybody seen anything tonight that leads you to believe they aren't beatable.
Posted By: lottadot Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:33 AM
[quote=Dawgs4Life] ....
edit: Shoot! I may be wrong about the steelers, (the only way I'm wrong about the steelers is if they actually lose to the bengals. If so, Wake me when the Bengals actually upset the Steelers)

Heh you still sleeping? wink

Even with this PIT loss, they’re still a win ahead of us. I can’t imagine that they’d not make it to the playoffs.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:37 AM
There is a difference, because tonights game was not meaningful to the steelers.

When the game matters,
i.e. week 17 vs the Browns, (steelers will look like hof again Blah! Spit!)

I bet a couple of those plays in the Baltimore game start to look a little more anger inducing after tonights result.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:43 AM
When was the last time that AFC had 8 teams that had 10 wins in a season?

Baltimore and Mami could both win at least win 1 more game each.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:49 AM
Im thinking about it this way.

Scenario 1:
We beat the Jets + Steelers win = We are in the playoffs = Awesome!!

Scenario 2:
We beat the Jets + Steelers lose = We play Steelers week 17 to win the Division Title = Unbelievable!!!

I am super excited either way!!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:50 AM
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg

Scenario 2:
We beat the Jets + Steelers lose = We play Steelers week 17 to win the Division Title = Unbelievable!!!

Probably on Sunday Night Football.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:52 AM

Scenario 2:

I don’t think there is SNF week 17. I might be wrong though.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:53 AM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

Scenario 2:

The NFL does not schedule one in advance so they have the option to flex the best game to SNF in week 17.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy

Scenario 2:

They put the game with the most playoff implications on SNF.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:08 AM

rofl
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:16 AM

rofl

Can't make this stuff up bro. rofl
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:35 AM
I'm confused..I thought we would win the head to head with titans if we have same record. But according to ESPN playoffs machine, if the ravens , colts and dolphins win out and we lose one game putting us at 11-5 and the titans lose one game meaning the colts win thier division, putting the titans at 11-5 they go to the playoffs and we dont. How can that be if we beat them?
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:40 AM
I can’t find legit scenarios online, as to how we can miss the playoffs. Is the only way we miss the playoffs, is if we finish the season 11-5, and Mia, Ind, Bal, and Tenn each win their last 2 games? Because I would not be shocked if those 4 teams win their final 2 games.

I’m starting to think there is a legitimate chance, that we will need to beat pit to get in.
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:49 AM
I just did the playoff machine again. I guess what THROW LONG SAID ABOUT the 3rd team in a division being out is true. if the browns are 11-5 and third in our division, and the titans are 11-5 and second in thier division and the colts ravens and dolphins win out. WE ARE OUT....even though we beat the titans they still go to the playoffs and we dont! That is bs!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:50 AM
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
I can’t find legit scenarios online, as to how we can miss the playoffs. Is the only way we miss the playoffs, is if we finish the season 11-5, and Mia, Ind, Bal, and Tenn each win their last 2 games? Because I would not be shocked if those 4 teams win their final 2 games.

I’m starting to think there is a legitimate chance, that we will need to beat pit to get in.

If the Titans, Colts, Ravens, and Dolphins all win their last two games and we lose one of our last two games we do not make the playoffs.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:03 AM
I could be wrong, but I also think the Titans don’t have to go 2-0. They could go 1-1, if that loss is to the packers, and the rest of those teams win out. Baltimore is more than likely to win out, and If Miami beats Las Vegas, they could play a Buffalo team the following week, with nothing to play for? The colts play a pittsburgh team this week that just lost to Cincinnati, and 3 straight overall, then finish at Jacksonville.

Unless I’m missing something, none of that would surprise me.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:04 AM
I just did the playoff machine again. I guess what THROW LONG SAID ABOUT the 3rd team in a division being out is true. if the browns are 11-5 and third in our division, and the titans are 11-5 and second in thier division and the colts ravens and dolphins win out. WE ARE OUT....even though we beat the titans they still go to the playoffs and we dont! That is bs!

I can hardly believe this. I can't think they could justify this scenario
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:06 AM
Even if the packers beat the titans it does aus absolutely NO GOOD if titans win thier last game. I just cant believe they go to the playoffs with the same record as us even though we beat them. This is bs. Throw long was right about that stupid 3rd team in division with winning record rule. I hate to say it but at this point winning out is our only chance. I dont see the Steelers losing 5 on a row. In fact we NEED them to beat the colts
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:12 AM
I could be wrong, but I also think the Titans don’t have to go 2-0. They could go 1-1, if that loss is to the packers, and the rest of those teams win out. Baltimore is more than likely to win out, and If Miami beats Las Vegas, they could play a Buffalo team the following week, with nothing to play for? The colts play a pittsburgh team this week that just lost to Cincinnati, and 3 straight overall, then finish at Jacksonville.

That is correct! Titans just have to go 1-1. This is bs....we finally have a winning season and 11-5 still doesn't get us a playoff game! Only in Cleveland!
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:16 AM
I think you correct. Pittsburgh losing to the colts next week gives us a chance at winning the division, but it also keeps the possibility of us missing the playoffs, very much in play.

We need to be rooting for Pittsburgh next week
Posted By: Pdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:19 AM

That is correct! Titans just have to go 1-1. This is bs....we finally have a winning season and 11-5 still doesn't get us a playoff game! Only in Cleveland!

What you say may happen. I’m not going to lose sleep over it until after next week. Hopefully we will have locked up a playoff spot.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:20 AM

I'm taking the sure playoff spot over a chance at winning the division.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:24 AM
I'm confused..I thought we would win the head to head with titans if we have same record. But according to ESPN playoffs machine, if the ravens , colts and dolphins win out and we lose one game putting us at 11-5 and the titans lose one game meaning the colts win thier division, putting the titans at 11-5 they go to the playoffs and we dont. How can that be if we beat them?

here is how.
If the Colts get above the Titans because the titans lose to the packers,
If the Colts take the division the Colts will have the division title.
the Playoff spots will be filled like this.

1. KC best record
2, Bills/Steelers next best division winner
3, Steelers/ bills next best division winn
4, Colts if they get the division,

Any ^ movement of those doesn't effect this scenario as long as those 4 win the divisions and there is a 4 way tie at 11-5

The 5 seed #1 playoff spot will be up to be fill by some team, and the rules are such
If the Ravens, Titans, Dolphins and Browns all finish 11-5
The First thing they do is take out any team in 3rd place in their div. instead of 2nd place.
(remove the Browns from consider for spot 1, 5 seed)

next the 3 way tie, they look if any team swept or got swept by the other two, it didnt' happen any way .

Next they look at conf record, and remove the ravens who's best possible is 7-5 while the dolphins and titans are 8-4, and 8-4 vs afc.

With Ravens removed and Browns removed, #5 seed comes down to Titans or Dolphins, both 8-4 8-4 in conf record,
next is common games minimum 4.
(already finished the Titans are 4-1, the Dolphins are 3-2 in common games of (broncos, jags, bengals, bills)

Titans get the #5 spot,

Then the #6 spot needs filled, A 3 way tie of Dolphins Ravens Browns, (first removes Browns for 3rd place in div, again) Then compares Dolphins and Ravens
Conf record 8-4 vs 7-5 goes to Dolphins
Dolphins get the #6 spot.

Then there is a #7 spot which compares the Ravens and Browns and when the Ravens won on MNF, they took the head to head, 2-0.

So Ravens get #7 spot.

so basically the Browns have to stay ahead of the titans, and hope the titans stay ahead of the colts, and or stay ahead of the Ravens,

So bottom line the only way the Browns can get in the playoffs is beat Pittsburgh, and the Jets.

or beat one of them and have the Dolphins or Colts or Ravens lose one.

or if the Titans lose twice, or if the Bills had lost 3 which can't anymore.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:28 AM

I'm taking the sure playoff spot over a chance at winning the division.

I’m hoping for both things to happen. That means I have to put my faith in Las Vegas. Maybe I won’t sleep tonight.
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:36 AM
Bill's will have nothing to play for last week of season against dolphins. So we need raiders to win and chances of that are slim at best. I dont know why espn has us at a 90% chance to make playoffs when inreality it's much less than that
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:37 AM
THROW LONG there are some posters on this board who owe you a apology. They said you were full of it when you told them about the third team in the division rule. But you were right
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:37 AM
Bill's will have nothing to play for last week of season against dolphins. So we need raiders to win and chances of that are slim at best. I dont know why espn has us at a 90% chance to make playoffs when inreality it's much less than that

Math is hard.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:38 AM
Good point, the only way we will be rooting for Indianapolis to beat Pittsburgh,(going into Sunday) is if the Raiders beat the Dolphins Saturday night. That guarantees us a playoff spot with a win over the Jets, and keeps the division title in play.
Posted By: The Collector Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:45 AM
Bills will want to hold onto the number 2 seed.

Theyll be pressed to play hard against the phins...

They also dont seem to be a team who would rest starters...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 10:39 AM
- We play at the Jets
- Indy plays at Pittsburgh
- Tennessee plays at Green Bay
- Miami plays at Las Vegas

If we take care of ourselves, I like the chances that one of those 3 teams loses

In an ideal scenario, we win, Miami and Tennessee lose, and Indy wins smile
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 11:16 AM
- We play at the Jets
- Indy plays at Pittsburgh
- Tennessee plays at Green Bay
- Miami plays at Las Vegas

If we take care of ourselves, I like the chances that one of those 3 teams loses

In an ideal scenario, we win, Miami and Tennessee lose, and Indy wins smile

Not sure but I think it's the other way around. We need the colts to lose and the titans to win. If the colts win thier division and the ravens and dolphins win out. Our chances of making the playoffs drop dramatically. We would have to beat the Steelers, and let's face it. The Steelers are not going to drop 5 straight. It would be typical browns luck, or lack thereof to lose to the steelers and miss the playoffs at 11-5 in a season that the nfl gave both the AFC and NFC a extra wildcard spot.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 11:20 AM
At this point, ideally.

I want the Browns to win. And

I want the Colts to lose.
I want the Dolphins to lose. and
I want the Ravens to lose.
Posted By: jfanent Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 12:13 PM
I think you correct. Pittsburgh losing to the colts next week gives us a chance at winning the division, but it also keeps the possibility of us missing the playoffs, very much in play.

Oh, but the thought of a week 17 game vs the Steelers for the division title and a playoff spot? I've been dreaming of a scenario like that for 25 years. I'm a bit torn.
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 12:44 PM
At this point, ideally.

If the ravens or dolphins lose and we beat the jets we are in correct? Or no? If those two teams lose but the colts win are we still not in?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 12:56 PM
j/c...

I like that the Dolphins/Raiders game is Saturday night.

Go Raiders!

Raiders win, Browns beat Jets to clinch playoff berth. Colts beat Steelers. NFL flexes Steelers vs Browns game to SNF now that division title would be up for grabs. Dream scenario.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:23 PM
THROW LONG there are some posters on this board who owe you a apology. They said you were full of it when you told them about the third team in the division rule. But you were right

Credit where credit is due.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 01:52 PM
J/C
I'm never rooting for the Steelers. All or nothing. It's a screwed up possibility. Win Division or go home but screw the Steelers. Can't believe posters having us losing to the Steelers at home for the division 2 weeks before the game. If they can't beat the team I watched last night then I don't want them in the Playoffs to get BLOWED out by some other team! The Browns offense can score on anyone but the defense is (mostly secondary) terrible
Posted By: captainphil Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 02:14 PM
Imagine starting 11-0 and losing your next 6 straight including the last 2 in Cleveland. Seeding is still shaking out. But if Browns win division and host Steelers, that is how Roethlisberger could finish his career.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 02:23 PM
At this point, ideally.

I don't freaking get this board sometimes.

Playoffs be damned - I am much, much, much, much, much more interested and excited at the prospect of WINNING THE AFC NORTH than I am about anything else right now.

The ONLY way we can win the AFC North is to beat the Jets and the Colts Beat the Steelers.

In that scenario we play the steelers in game 16 of the season and the winner of that game wins the Division. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'd take that scenario even if it meant missing out on the playoffs with a loss to Pitsburgh.

All these posts talking about wanting Colts to win so we get into the Playoffs .... willynilly Crazy.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 02:29 PM
Bill's will have nothing to play for last week of season against dolphins.

That's only if they're content playing Miami again in the first round as that is who they are slated to play as it stands right now.

We definitely need the Raiders to win, ditto the Giants.
I want the Colts to win because I want Week 17 to be for all the marbles.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 02:51 PM
At this point, ideally.

Playoffs be damned - I am much, much, much, much, much more interested and excited at the prospect of WINNING THE AFC NORTH than I am about anything else right now.

The ONLY way we can win the AFC North is to beat the Jets and the Colts Beat the Steelers.

In that scenario we play the steelers in game 16 of the season and the winner of that game wins the Division. It doesn't get any better than that.

I'd take that scenario even if it meant missing out on the playoffs with a loss to Pitsburgh.

All these posts talking about wanting Colts to win so we get into the Playoffs .... willynilly Crazy.

Totally agree! If you can't beat the Steelers to get to the Playoffs why would we want to be in the Playoffs! Looking from a players perspective I'd say there isn't a player on the Browns that's rooting for the Steelers this coming weekend!
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 02:53 PM
Another point: I find it amusing that posters want other teams to get us into the Playoffs instead of expecting 'Our Team' to take care of business and PUT ourselves in the Playoffs!!!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 02:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Moxdawg
Another point: I find it amusing that posters want other teams to get us into the Playoffs instead of expecting 'Our Team' to take care of business and PUT ourselves in the Playoffs!!!

Who said that? I’d prefer the Browns to win the last two games. Just in case they don’t I’d like a safety net.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 03:00 PM
Playing for all the marbles ... what else could you possibly want? That would be like a rebirth for the team - it would end the curse - it would be like a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

Then if we somehow met them in the first round of the play offs and beat them again? Hard to imagine what that would do for the team and fan base.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 03:04 PM

Who said that? I’d prefer the Browns to win the last two games. Just in case they don’t I’d like a safety net.
it's being said . Read the board. They're commenting above that their rooting for the Steelers to beat the Colts. Screw that! If we miss the playoffs then so be it! If we don't beat the Steelers and get knocked out of the playoffs then they weren't good enough to make the playoffs even at 11-5
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 03:05 PM

it's being said . Read the board. They're commenting above that their rooting for the Steelers to beat the Colts. Screw that! If we miss the playoffs then so be it! If we don't beat the Steelers and get knocked out of the playoffs then they weren't good enough to make the playoffs even at 11-5

This is very short sighted.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 03:05 PM
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 03:23 PM
My ideal scenario: we beat the Jets, Ravens lose to the Giants, Steelers lose to the Colts.

I would also accept Miami losing to the Raiders in substitution for the Ravens losing. Obviously, I'd prefer to kick out the Ratbirds.
Posted By: keithfromxenia Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 03:46 PM
I mean no disrespect to anyone but what I hear are the voices of a whipped fan base. A group so used to losing that they see it as their normal outcome in life. Understandable?? Yes, but wrong. This weekend we have to beat the jets, and the colts have to beat the steelers.that puts us Mano in mano in the season finale with the Steelers and I like our chances. Those who think the Steelers cannot lose five in a row are saying they think the bengals can beat them but we cannot. Really??? You think that?

I think there is a great chance one of those wild card competitors lose and we clinch a old card. But I want a three seed and we get that by winning the division. So GO BROWNS!!!! and GO COLTS!!!!!
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 03:51 PM

This is very short sighted.

I'm not saying I wouldn't Love to see the Browns get a wild card spot out of the way before the last game but there's No way I'm rooting for the Steelers to beat the Colts just to get a Playoff spot when there's a chance of winning the Division with the Colts beating the Steelers. If it comes down to the last game for all the marbles then so be it.
Also: if it did come down to that ( Win Division or go home for the Browns )
We'd be playing for the Division and the Playoffs,
Steelers would be playing for the Division and still be in the Playoffs, so we'd definitely have more to lose and hopefully more to play for so if the Browns couldn't win under those conditions then again I wouldn't want them in the Playoffs....
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

Go Raiders!

Raiders win, Browns beat Jets to clinch playoff berth. Colts beat Steelers. NFL flexes Steelers vs Browns game to SNF now that division title would be up for grabs. Dream scenario.
bingo
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:01 PM
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia
I mean no disrespect to anyone but what I hear are the voices of a whipped fan base. A group so used to losing that they see it as their normal outcome in life. Understandable?? Yes, but wrong. This weekend we have to beat the jets, and the colts have to beat the steelers.that puts us Mano in mano in the season finale with the Steelers and I like our chances. Those who think the Steelers cannot lose five in a row are saying they think the bengals can beat them but we cannot. Really??? You think that?

I think there is a great chance one of those wild card competitors lose and we clinch a old card. But I want a three seed and we get that by winning the division. So GO BROWNS!!!! and GO COLTS!!!!!

This/^^^^
When I was trying to make the point about wanting other teams to get us in the playoffs: when posters saying we need to root for the Steelers this weekend!
I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful but that is a lame way of thinking about it! We need to take care of our own business and we're in the playoffs, and now thanks to the Bengals we have a very strong possibility of winning the Division and if that means the possiblity of missing the Playoffs entirely then so be it because the Browns control that and if they can't take care of their own business then so be it! I'll take all or nothing over just a spot in the playoffs!
Posted By: drobs Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:13 PM
Originally Posted By: keithfromxenia

This/^^^^
When I was trying to make the point about wanting other teams to get us in the playoffs: when posters saying we need to root for the Steelers this weekend!
I wasn't meaning to be disrespectful but that is a lame way of thinking about it! We need to take care of our own business and we're in the playoffs, and now thanks to the Bengals we have a very strong possibility of winning the Division and if that means the possiblity of missing the Playoffs entirely then so be it because the Browns control that and if they can't take care of their own business then so be it! I'll take all or nothing over just a spot in the playoffs!

I'm on this camp also. If we beat the Jets and we have to beat the Steelers to get in - that's the first round of the playoffs a week early. If we need to win and don't then that is fuel for the offseason and next season - I think the team is nearly there and has the leadership in place under KS to ensure that whatever happens - team is first and we are always a game at a time.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 04:53 PM
My ideal scenario: we beat the Jets, Ravens lose to the Giants, Steelers lose to the Colts.

I would also accept Miami losing to the Raiders in substitution for the Ravens losing. Obviously, I'd prefer to kick out the Ratbirds.

Yes, this is ideal. Any scenario where we go into week 17 with a chance to win the division AND a playoff spot guaranteed is the ideal situation.

I've also been one of the people on this board for weeks who wasn't writing the Steelers game off as a loss, many were.

I don't want to go into the playoffs 0-4 against the Steelers and Ravens.. but I do want to go into the playoffs. The primary reason is that I don't think there is a team in the AFC, and I'm including the Chiefs, that the Browns can't compete with. I think the Chiefs and Bills pose a significant challenge, any other team in the AFC in the playoffs, I think the Browns can beat. And I'll take 11-5, a wildcard spot, and a good shot at winning a playoff game over 11-5 and not making the playoffs because that's how things worked out. So yes, I will continue to expect the Browns to win their final 2 games. I will also root for whatever help they can get to ensure they make the playoffs.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:06 PM
Good post.

I'm hoping like hell (which usually doesn't end well) that we win this week and are guaranteed a playoff spot. I feel like that would greatly change the demeanor with which we play the Steelers.

Baker has matured a lot when it comes to playing under pressure, but when he plays without pressure to perform, it's like the gloves come completely off.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:14 PM
Yay. Cooler heads prevail. smile

Step 1: We beat the Jets

Step 2: Either the Giants upset the Ravens with that run-stuffing D-line OR the Raiders beat the Dolphins (immediately clinching a playoff spot before week 17).

Step 3: The Colts beat the Steelers (if the Colts lose and neither the Giants nor Raiders win above, we are still in the playoffs).

Step 4: The Browns/Steelers week 17 game gets flexed to Prime Time for the AFC North crown.

*I reserve the right to change my preference on the outcome of the Colts/Steelers game at 11:45 pm Saturday night (pending the outcome of the Dolphins/Raiders).*
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:26 PM
In the end, either the Colts lose and we're in, or they win and we're playing for the Division... and then, we're in.

No matter the outcome, we benefit.

Here's a thing: The last time we were on the cusp of the playoffs was 13 years ago in 2007 when we went 10-6 and missed out. Before that was 2002, the season I joined the original DT, when we got into the playoffs on a 4th & Goal stand at the 1 yard line against the Falcons in Week 17. In both occurrences, and every other year we weren't mathematically eliminated by Week 8, we on this board have looked feverishly at all the scenarios that needed to go our way in order to back our way into the playoffs, and this year, here we are looking at all the scenarios that could transpire to keep us out when all we need to do is take care of our business.

We are entering Week 16 and we really don't need any of that. We just need to do our job; do what we didn't do it in '07, and what we did in the final moments of '02.... take care of our business and close it out and the rest takes care of itself.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:29 PM
Before that was 2002, the season I joined the original DT, when we got into the playoffs on a 4th & Goal stand at the 1 yard line against the Falcons in Week 17.

I was at the game! It felt like ATL weren't giving it there best effort but we took the win regardless smile
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:33 PM
Quote:
Here's a thing:

Here's another thing: Only two times in the history of the NFL, has an 11 win team not made the playoffs. The 85 Broncos and the 08 Patriots. Both of those were under the 5 playoff teams per conference system, both would have made it if they had been in the 7 playoff team system. I have absolutely NO DESIRE to be the first to do it in an 8 team playoff year.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:33 PM
Before that was 2002, the season I joined the original DT, when we got into the playoffs on a 4th & Goal stand at the 1 yard line against the Falcons in Week 17.

I was at the game! It felt like ATL weren't giving it there best effort but we took the win regardless smile

As I recall, another game finished just before then and their playoff berth was clinched and they didn't need the win, and thus our win was a bit of a gift from them.... but, it still felt amazing.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:34 PM
that's a silly thing to worry about. Enjoy what is and don't sweat what isn't.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:38 PM
that's a silly thing to worry about. Enjoy what is and don't sweat what isn't.

Thanks Yoda. tongue

We have knocked a lot of things off the list of "The Browns haven't done ... [insert horrific historic record here] .. since 1964..."

I do now want to hear, for the next 20 years any time a team gets close, "The only 11-5 team to not make the playoffs in the new playoff era is the Browns in 2020"... I just don't. It's not like it keeps me up at night, I just don't want to hear it.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:42 PM
I think the "enjoying" part is why we want to clinch the playoffs this week and still be able to go into week 17 for a chance at the division (fanbase wise, anyway).

2020 has been too stressful. I want to kick back with a cold one come week 17. smile
Posted By: thedawggene Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:42 PM
What is it with Browns fans calling each other out on how they should root for their team? I totally understand the perspective of beating the Steelers to win the division as the storybook ending. I would never begrudge fans for wanting that.

But I personally am more practical and less emotional about it. We have a team that has a good chance to win games in the playoffs if we don't face high pressure man-to-man defenses. That means the Steelers and Ravens, which at most we would be 50-50 to see if we got in. So I'm all for the Raiders, Giants, and/or Steelers to win this week.
Posted By: thriller Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:47 PM
For my peace of mind, can someone tell me, who knows for sure, what would happen if this scenario plays out....

Colts 12-4
Tenn 11-5
Ravens 11-5
Dolphins 11-5
Browns 11-5
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:48 PM
We’d be out
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:49 PM
I'll admit, it's mostly just pride. But I'll put the desire to take the division aside with a quickness and celebrate the playoffs and a possible opportunity to rest some guys if the Steelers beat the Colts.

For now...I WANT IT ALL! nanner

Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:51 PM
Originally Posted By: thriller
For my peace of mind, can someone tell me, who knows for sure, what would happen if this scenario plays out....

Colts 12-4
Tenn 11-5
Ravens 11-5
Dolphins 11-5
Browns 11-5

Tennessee is the only team that can lose a game and still get in over the 11-5 Browns.

They get in over the Ravens while we are stuck waiting on the initial tie-break of 2nd place teams.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 05:55 PM
lol grin

I get it, I really do, and I would HATE that, too... but that isn't this team. Also, in past years, that would happen and the team would get blown up and we wouldn't sniff a .500 record for years.... again, that's not this team. This team WILL be in the playoffs next year even if we miss it this year.

I *really* want to be in the playoffs this year, but just a few weeks ago, I was accepting of the fact that we probably don't deserve to go, and my preseason guess was .500, at best. No matter what, to me, this season is already a major victory. That's not a consolation prize... it's the statement that everything else at this point is icing on a really damn good cake.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:06 PM

Colts 12-4
Tenn 11-5
Ravens 11-5
Dolphins 11-5
Browns 11-5

And I want someone to explain and prove to me how?!
Explain this::
Colts lose this week and we get wild card automatically, even though both Browns and Colts could finish season season 11-5 ( yes I see above the Colts finish 12-4 but same scenario with Titans)

But if Colts win this week and all other Games play out against the Browns this week that take it down to the last game then how does a 11-5 Colts or 11-5 Titans keep a 11-5 Browns out of the playoffs? I DO NOT BELIEVE THE 3RD TEAM IN DIVISION IS OUT STATEMENT!!
Because as I state above. Colts lose this week and Browns at in even though we could still be tied at 11-5 with the Colts and Still be the 3rd Team in our Division if the Ravens win out so EXPLAIN that one.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:10 PM
Here's my opinion on our path to the playoffs and how I'd like it to happen (obviously, fwiw).

The Browns have 4 opportunities each year to test themselves to see if they can hang with our own division. Out of those 4 opportunities, only 1 was close, with 1 more tbd. If anything, they've provided evidence that they still can't quite hang with the big boys.

Don't get me wrong. I'm super happy with the improvement and couldn't be more excited with the pieces we've put into place. But the playoffs is all about hangin' with the big boys, and we've lost 3 to those teams within our division with 2 being laughers.

To me, this season was all about seeing what we've got at a number of different spots. To that end, we've passed the test with flying colors. I started the year not thinking at all about the playoffs, but wanting to see what this team could be. To me, a final showdown with the Steelers for all the marbles couldn't be a more fitting end to the season. I don't think we have the horses to be taken seriously in the playoffs... I'll be rooting like nobody's business regardless, but I've made peace with that.

If we get bumped out of the playoffs on a technicality... honestly, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world (considering I don't think we can hang with many of the playoff teams out there).

Bring on the Steelers and let's bring this full circle and see how this team stacks up.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:15 PM
TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM

Three or More Clubs

(Note: If two clubs remain tied after a third club or other clubs are eliminated, the tiebreaker reverts to step 1 of the applicable two-club format.)

1. Apply the division tiebreaker to eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step

2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tiebreaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two wild card participants.

3. Head-to-head sweep (applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others)

4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference

5. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four

6. Strength of victory

7. Strength of schedule

8. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed

9. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed

10. Best net points in conference games

11. Best net points in all games

12. Best net touchdowns in all games
Coin toss

When the first wild card team has been identified, the procedure is repeated to name the second wild card (i.e., eliminate all but the highest-ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2). In situations where three or more teams from the same division are involved in the procedure, the original seeding of the teams remains the same for subsequent applications of the tiebreaker if the top-ranked team in that division qualifies for a wild card berth.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tiebreaking-procedures/
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:27 PM

Colts 12-4
Tenn 11-5
Ravens 11-5
Dolphins 11-5
Browns 11-5

And I want someone to explain and prove to me how?!
Explain this::
Colts lose this week and we get wild card automatically, even though both Browns and Colts could finish season season 11-5 ( yes I see above the Colts finish 12-4 but same scenario with Titans)

But if Colts win this week and all other Games play out against the Browns this week that take it down to the last game then how does a 11-5 Colts or 11-5 Titans keep a 11-5 Browns out of the playoffs? I DO NOT BELIEVE THE 3RD TEAM IN DIVISION IS OUT STATEMENT!!
Because as I state above. Colts lose this week and Browns at in even though we could still be tied at 11-5 with the Colts and Still be the 3rd Team in our Division if the Ravens win out so EXPLAIN that one.

The 3rd place poison pill only lasts until Baltimore qualifies for the playoffs.
Tennessee gets in before Baltimore, the Colts do not. IE: Tennessee is "protected" just long enough so that we cannot knock them out.

5) Miami (1 lose was in NFC- Conference record, I believe)
6) Tennessee (head-to-head does not matter since Tennessee beat Baltimore but lost to Cleveland)
7) Baltimore (Tie break over Cleveland- head-to-head)

vs:

5) Miami (1 lose in NFC- Conference record victory tie-break)
6) Baltimore (Tie break over Browns AND Colts head-to-head)
7) Cleveland (tie-break head-to head Colts)
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:31 PM
And I understand they have this written down which I admit honestly is complicated to understand for me.

Just explain using your post of the rules of seeding,
How does the Browns get wild card this weekend with a Colts loss? ( Even though we could still finish season tied 11-5 with Colts who will be the second team in their division to our 3rd team in division if Ravens win out)
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 06:35 PM
Because Baltimore does not protect the Colts.

The get in ahead of both Cleveland and Indy, leaving Cleveland the Indy head-to-head tie-break above.

The 3rd place poison pill only lasts until Baltimore qualifies for the playoffs. Once they are in we are the highest ranked club in our division "not in." If that clarifies it at all.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:00 PM
Just root for the Raiders to beat the Dolphins or the Giants to upset the Ravens. It's much easier. smile

Or Cleveland to win out and take the 3 seed.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:13 PM
Giants D against the Rats could be interesting .
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
I think the "enjoying" part is why we want to clinch the playoffs this week and still be able to go into week 17 for a chance at the division (fanbase wise, anyway).

2020 has been too stressful. I want to kick back with a cold one come week 17. smile

Amen to that. It is going to be major disappointment and deflation to have gone through this season and not make the playoffs.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:24 PM
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Just root for the Raiders to beat the Dolphins or the Giants to upset the Ravens. It's much easier. smile

Or Cleveland to win out and take the 3 seed.

Yea, that's not an "or" situation. I'm absolutely rooting for both.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:28 PM
Who knows, maybe Cleveland wins out. Indy wins out. The Dolphins win out. Heck, even if the Titans drop the game to the Packers:

KC
Buffalo
Cleveland
Indy

Titans
Steelers
Dolphins

8) the 11-5 Baltimore Ravens (the only team that does not control their own destiny at this point). smile

Feel better yet?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:40 PM
And I understand they have this written down which I admit honestly is complicated to understand for me.

Just explain using your post of the rules of seeding,
How does the Browns get wild card this weekend with a Colts loss? ( Even though we could still finish season tied 11-5 with Colts who will be the second team in their division to our 3rd team in division if Ravens win out)

To figure it out, you have to note a couple of things:

1. Those tie breaker rules posted are used when Three or More teams are tied and have the same record. If only two teams are tied, the tie breaker rules are a little different.

2. The very first part of the tie breaker rules for the 3 or more set is to get rid of all but the best team from each division that isn't already in.... so, in that instance, Baltimore beats us on head-to-head, so in every round of tie breaking, we are not in the equation until after Baltimore gets in.

3. Between Colts & Titans, one will win their division so that one will not be part of the tiebreaking procedure.

There are three Wild Card slots. There are five teams in that list. One will win the AFC South, leaving four teams in that list, including us, vying for the three Wild Card slots.... we need ONE of those three that isn't us to lose one game so that as the tie breaker rounds are figured out we don't get pushed out.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:44 PM
Can you do that in a flowchart? Thanks.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:54 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:55 PM
aaaannnnnnnd, I have a typo rofl
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 07:58 PM
Don't care, well worth the effort. thumbsup
Posted By: Damanshot Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 08:11 PM
At this point, ideally.

I'm more worried about the Jets on Sunday.. That has all the makings of a trap game...
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 08:34 PM
Started making more sense but I'll just wait and see what happens. Still going to root for Colts and hope to be playing for division. We miss the playoffs we miss the playoffs. I'm a Browns fan I'm use to it!!
Having my Heart ripped out since 1982!
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 08:36 PM
Quote:
I'm more worried about the Jets on Sunday.. That has all the makings of a trap game...

One of the reasons I was glad they beat the Rams... glad they got their win so they feel the pressure is off and won't go 0fer.. also hoped it might wake the Browns up to anybody can beat you if you don't show up to play.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 08:45 PM
Whenever I get worried about the Jets, remembering we have Stefanski at the helm calms me down a LOT.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 08:46 PM
Yea, me too.

It's almost inconceivable to me that this late in the season, with just 2 games left.. the Browns could mathematically be the #2 seed in the AFC... or locked out of the playoffs completely. Either could happen. And I'm having trouble processing that. willynilly
Posted By: DaveyD Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 08:55 PM
Concentrate on going 1-0 this Sunday and controlling your own destiny and let the chips fall where they may.
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 10:41 PM
Yea, me too.

It's almost inconceivable to me that this late in the season, with just 2 games left.. the Browns could mathematically be the #2 seed in the AFC... or locked out of the playoffs completely. Either could happen. And I'm having trouble processing that. willynilly

Yeah, that's just crazy.
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 11:20 PM

I get the game of "what if's" or all the different scenarios.

We need to just win.

All the rest will happen. I wish rooting made a difference. If that was true we would have a whole lot of Super Bowls.

To be 10-4 with control of our own destiny is good enough for me.

Because the mantra of 1-0 is all that counts.

I am very confident the Browns will be in the playoffs.

In fact IMO we are a top four team. No team today is dominate on both sides of the ball.

Given that I like our chances. Our balance is huge. We can beat you in many different ways.

So I am all in. On the island and feeling just right.

Posted By: myka Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/22/20 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I get the game of "what if's" or all the different scenarios.

We need to just win.

All the rest will happen. I wish rooting made a difference. If that was true we would have a whole lot of Super Bowls.

To be 10-4 with control of our own destiny is good enough for me.

Because the mantra of 1-0 is all that counts.

I am very confident the Browns will be in the playoffs.

In fact IMO we are a top four team. No team today is dominate on both sides of the ball.

Given that I like our chances. Our balance is huge. We can beat you in many different ways.

So I am all in. On the island and feeling just right.

I'm so thankful for a season where we can focus on just winning and we're in.

I mean sure we should already have it locked up if not for botching the Ravens game late ,but better than our usual "if these 10 teams lose..." scenarios!

<3
Posted By: teedub Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 12:15 AM
Who feels that with the excitement and drama this late in the year and continuing for 2 more weeks that the NFL will make the 8 team playoff structure permanent?
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 12:19 AM
In the end, either the Colts lose and we're in, or they win and we're playing for the Division... and then, we're in.

Here's a thing: The last time we were on the cusp of the playoffs was 13 years ago in 2007 when we went 10-6 and missed out. Before that was 2002, the season I joined the original DT, when we got into the playoffs on a 4th & Goal stand at the 1 yard line against the Falcons in Week 17. In both occurrences, and every other year we weren't mathematically eliminated by Week 8, we on this board have looked feverishly at all the scenarios that needed to go our way in order to back our way into the playoffs, and this year, here we are looking at all the scenarios that could transpire to keep us out when all we need to do is take care of our business.

We are entering Week 16 and we really don't need any of that. We just need to do our job; do what we didn't do it in '07, and what we did in the final moments of '02.... take care of our business and close it out and the rest takes care of itself.

Ahhh... If my memory is correct, Jim Donovan was screaming RUN, WILLIAM, RUN....
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 12:25 AM
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 01:53 AM

Colts 12-4
Tenn 11-5
Ravens 11-5
Dolphins 11-5
Browns 11-5

We would be out because of that stupid 3rd winning team in the division is out rule.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 02:23 AM
J/C
I'm never rooting for the Steelers. All or nothing. It's a screwed up possibility. Win Division or go home but screw the Steelers. Can't believe posters having us losing to the Steelers at home for the division 2 weeks before the game. If they can't beat the team I watched last night then I don't want them in the Playoffs to get BLOWED out by some other team! The Browns offense can score on anyone but the defense is (mostly secondary) terrible

I don't want to see the likely scenario of the Browns are 11-4 but miss the playoffs if they don't beat the Steelers at home,

for a chance to face the Steelers at home a week later.

(The Steelers play at Cleveland 2 weeks in a row with 2 chances to end Clevelands' season and only the 2nd one putting the steelers season in jeopardy.

I'd much rather see a partially rest week followed by a playoff game vs. Tennessee, or Buffalo.

And Pittsburg in the 2nd rd or AFC Championship game.

(And any comment bout "that team we saw yesterday" , have some memory, this is not the first time, or the first year in the last 20,
that the Steelers have appeared to tank some games, play poorly until the stakes reach the brink.

What happens when the stakes are high? (Wha'dya know, Ben comes back, the passing game wakes up, the defense starts looking unbeatable again)

Don't be lured in by their bullstuff, they won the first 11 in a row.
and they hope to lose a few so their first round is against Cleveland or Indy.
They are trying to manipulate the system they aren't stupid.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 02:47 AM
All this bickering. None of this would have been an issue if they had just found a way to beat the Ravens Monday Night.

It's the Steelers and Ravens every year. thumbsdown
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 03:04 AM
The Steelers have been a thorn in our side since the merger in 1970 with the possible exception for about 4 or 5 years in the mid to late 80's. Watch what happens when we play them. Suddenly, all their problems will miraculously disappear and will look like the Steelers of old. The announcers will proclaim them back, Big Ben looks great and they contenders for the Super Bowl. That's why it's important we win Sunday and get some help so the Steelers game is not a must win for us. The league likes and wants the Steelers to contend for it all because of their national popularity. If it's a close game when we play them look out, we won't get any calls and I really believe that. JMO
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 03:09 AM
Let’s say it comes down to a win the division, or go home final game vs the Steelers. Vegas would probably ave that close to a pick em game, or maybe a 3 point spread either way. Which would give the browns maybe 40%-60% of losing that game.

Are people really ok with a 40-60% chance of missing the playoffs? Assuming we get that win or go home scenario people want?
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 03:14 AM
I'm not OK with it especially against the Steelers for the reasons I gave on a previous post.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 03:24 AM
If we don’t have a playoff spot clinched after this weekend, I think it will mean we will be in a win or go home situation. The Dolphins need to win out, and they are at Buffalo week 17. Buffalo will likely rest starters that week if they clinch the #2 seed this weekend, here is how they could do that

1) the Bills win + the Indianapolis Colts beat the Pittsburgh Steelers + the Tennessee Titans lose to the Green Bay Packers on Sunday Night Football
This would clinch the two seed before any games are played in Week 17, allowing the Bills the opportunity to rest key starters before the playoffs begin and avoid the Kansas City Chiefs until the AFC Championship Game.

2) the Bills win + the Indianapolis Colts beat the Pittsburgh Steelers + the Cleveland Browns beat the New York Jets

So basically if the Colts win, it gives Miami a great chance to win in Buffalo week 17. Dolphins fans will be rooting hard for the colts Sunday.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 03:36 AM
J/C
The Steelers sure have traumatized a lot of posters on this board!
Posted By: NTSC_Dawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 03:52 AM
I’m really just doing a test post because I haven’t posted in forever. Go Browns!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 04:00 AM
Your way of thinking can right back to week 6

Browns lost 7 to 38 to the steelers! You want your opportunity THERE IT WAS!

you want your special feeling win chance to take them out of the playoffs

chance to win the division?

THEY HAD IT, WEEK NUMBER 6,
CLEVELAND WAS 4-1

If Browns had won that game the Browns would already have clinched a playoff berth!

Since they didn't do that! Then it's just THEIR OWN FAULT that we have to hope the steelers beat the Colts so the Browns can lock up a playoff berth and not have to play Pittsburgh for a chance to play pittsburgh!

I'M GONNA BREAK THIS THING IF IT CAPITALZES THE WORD pittsburgh one more $%$%$% Time!

playoff berth 1st, Division 2nd. It's always been that way, since they started the wild card.

Can't win a SB if you can't get in the playoffs!
Posted By: Pdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 04:06 AM
Originally Posted By: NTSC_Dawg
I’m really just doing a test post because I haven’t posted in forever. Go Browns!

Did you by chance see a post on Twitter talking about this site?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 04:16 AM
Maybe I'm blind because I'm a football fan!
Lay up at night thinking about how all plays in football have 4 separate word descriptions, how hard it must be to eplain the game of football to a European or something.

But the NFL is, like it or not, and Professional sports like the big 4, are, like it or not, a television show.

Sometime, probably in the 50's or early 60's they left being primarily an in person attendance event for being a television show.

And the FCC runs a large part of the crap orchestrated lies we get as television in this country.

And the US economic capitalistic system relies a large deal on adevertising paying for television shows.

And there is a big deal in making compelling matchups in sports, like the convient coincidence that all 7 game series go at least 6 games in.

And The NFL set up everything on their schedule starting at least 5 years ago, when they changed how they'd make their schedule so that

Every game on week 17 would be as compelling as possible. (ooooohh, week 17, oooohh) pfft!

So I've been blind I'm a football fan, I'm a Browns Fan!

The FCC runs stuff, and they don't give s acare about level playing field, what they like is markets, MARKETS!

And, A little history lesson, one of the first 3 TV an Radio stations in the USA in the 1920-1930s,
were in Pittsburgh, if memory serves me right.

And Where else is the Government big?
East coast
West Coast
Miami, Dallas, Denver and Philadelphia,

(Shoot, Denver Philly and Atlanta make the greenbacks by factory!)

So, level playing field for the Midwest, Ohio Sports as a "television show"

Who
Would
Expect
It!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 06:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

that's what she said-
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 07:01 AM

If I see a fellow Dawg hyperventilating during the next few weeks, I'm going to make him read this.

Perspective: a better way to frame what we see in the here & now.

I can feel my heart rate returning to normal even as I type this.

thumbsup
Posted By: kwhip Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 10:01 AM
j/c...

Go Raiders!

bingo

According to what I'm seeing, the Flex Rules say it must be done within 12 days. 12 days is TODAY.

Would they flex before we even know if the Browns/ Pitt game means anything? Hmmm. Hopefully NOT. I HATE night games.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 10:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

If I see a fellow Dawg hyperventilating during the next few weeks, I'm going to make him read this.

Perspective: a better way to frame what we see in the here & now.

I can feel my heart rate returning to normal even as I type this.

thumbsup

2nd resp. 1st was worse...

Of course the major article above, is crap!

2. Browns already took care of business 10 times, about to be 11!

3. If the Browns are 11-4 and facing elimination if they don't beat the steelers in about 10 days!

Heck to pay
Heads gonna roll

swept 2 divisions!
6th best record in all of the NFL!
Swept the Bengals!

Played better Qb's before injury vs cincy, cincy, dallas, Jacksonville.

About to be 11 wins! Already "took care of business!
Already did "the job".

Browns Beat Buffalo last time they played!
Browns beat Miami by double digits twice in the last 10 years! iirc.

If the Browns don't make the playoffs, we should make this the lowest rated playoffs and super bowl of all time.

( I stopped watching Major League Baseball in 2003 ish, don't miss it.)
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Credit where credit is due.

Now that the playoffs have been expanded to 3 wildcard teams this year, that rule doesn't apply any longer.
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 01:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
[quote=slick]THROW LONG there are some posters on this board who owe you a apology. They said you were full of it when you told them about the third team in the division rule. But you were right

Credit where credit

Now that the playoffs have been expanded to 3 wildcard teams this year, that rule doesn't apply any longer.

According to the ESPN playoff machine and numerous articles one of them from CBS sports it does
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 01:30 PM
j/c

I don't get to pat myself on the back all too often but I think my post from 12/06/20 has aged fairly nicely...

A thought just occurred to me...

"what happens if we win our next game and PIT loses their next game? We're 10-3... they are 11-1...

I know a lot unlikely things would still have to happen, but there's enough football left. I think the possibility of making a push for the Division Title is worth keeping on the back, back burner.

_________________________"
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 01:41 PM

Honestly, not trying to offend you.

But I don't have a clue to what you are trying to say?

So, is everything fixed? The schedule the records?

The Steelers manipulate the schedule?

The FCC controls wins and losses for broadcasting advantages?

What point are you trying to make?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 01:48 PM
Well I didn't find any mention of it in an article by sporting news on the expansion of the NFL playoffs to 14 from 12 teams.

I'll admit to learning something new, I'd just wish they'd advertise it more.
( One thing I still couldn't figure out, is if, in a 3 way tie the three teams come to the tie break of common games and the teams were all 2nd place,)

(In this scenario, the Steelers lost out, and ended up in a tie with the dolphins and titans, 11-5, 8-4 in the conf, and the 4th tie breaker among all 3 teams, common games among all 3 teams, minimum 4

and they ended up with 4 teams, being, bengals jaguars bills broncos, (that the language of the rule reads best w-l-t among commong games minimum 4)
And if the end result were
Titans 4-1,
Dolphins 3-1
Steelers 3-2, that winning percentage wise, that would be spots 5, 6, and 7, putting the steelers in spot 7,

Why the site I use, has the Steelers as already clinched above the 7th seed.

Oh well, doesn't much really matter, it will play out.

The rule being discussed, (which I don't think really matters at this point because they fill one spot at a time)
is in the tie breaking procedures,

to break a tie between 3 or more clubs from different divsions.
#1, apply the division tie breaker to remove all but the highest ranking clubs from each division prior to step 2.
continuing:
The original seeding within a division upon application of the tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the (two) wild card participants.
-----
(there are 3 after 2019)

Doesn't matter.

BEAT THE JETS!!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 02:07 PM
If there are 2 teams the Browns can't beat it must be the Ravens and Steelers.

Won't it be convienent that the Browns will have to play the Steelers week 17, win or miss the playoffs, and if they do win, the Browns next opponent would be play the steelers again round 1.

Such a crock! We never get to see the matchups that would be best.
We never saw the Browns vs Chargers in 2007!

Hopefully we'll get to see the Browns vs. Titans and Browns vs Bills this year.

Who knows, They pretty much proved you can win all your games except the Steelers and Ravens, and won't that won't get them in the playoffs.
Even at 11-5? Even at 11-5.

Oh Well, Go Beat the Jets,

Jets are going to be tough, the Jets are 4-2 in their last 6, if you count a close game as a good try.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 02:08 PM
Bone, I don't think he's trying to say its fixed but I believe much favoritism is used no doubt.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 03:13 PM

Colts 12-4
Tenn 11-5
Ravens 11-5
Dolphins 11-5
Browns 11-5

We would be out because of that stupid 3rd winning team in the division is out rule.

We can assume the Steelers are the loss that makes the Browns 11-5
1 seed KC
2 seed Buffalo
3 Seed Pittsburgh 12-4
4 seed Colts,
(if Tennessees loss is to the packers they finish 8-4 in the AFC if it's to the Texans they finish 7-5 in the afc, which matters.)

Dolphins only play afc so would be 8-4 in the afc.

(Tennessee beat the ravens) (looking at a 3 way tie, dolphins, ravens, titans for spot #5.) (Nobody swept the other two or lost to the other two because they just didn't play this year, in most 3 way ties; including this one,) so next up is conf. record.

(Browns might actually get help, if the Titans beat the Packers, and then lose to the texans in this scenario.)

(Because first, way, Pack beat the titans,

Spot 5 goes to the titans. after the Ravens are removed for 7-5 conf record while titans + Dolphins are 8-5 conf record.

So, aha, ( Tennessee is 4-1 in common games w/ dolphins Miami is 3-2). But, if Miami gets the 5 spot, it helps the Browns I think,

So if the Pack lose to the Titans and the Texans beat the Titans , the 3 way tie goes
Dolphins 11-5 8-4
Ravens 11-5 7-5
Titans 11-5 7-5, (Browns out for 3rd place in div. for now.

Then, Dolphins get the 5 (Yippee)

Then it's Ravens Titans Browns, (Remove browns again, and Ravens Titans 1 v 1.

Nope, Nope, see, What the Browns are counting on at 11-5,
is if the Titans stay above the Colts,
Then the Ravens, Who beat the colts, need to be against the colts in one of those 1 on 1 tie breaks

So we can shove the Ravens in a spot! and have the Browns face the Colts 1 v 1 in the final tie break,

instead of the Browns face the Ravens 1 v1 in the final tie break.

The Colts have to lose!
Or the Dolphins have to lose!
Or the Ravens have to lose!
Or the Titans have to lose Twice!

Or the Browns have to beat both the Steelers and the Jets!

No Matter what happens, we can be sure, if the Browns had beaten the Ravens on MNF, (or opening day) they would have already clinched a playoff berth when they beat the Giants.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 04:18 PM

Nothing has changed. Plug in the results and see the outcome. Really, really, really simple.

Come on Colts ! Beat the stinking Steelers.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 04:40 PM

Nothing has changed. Plug in the results and see the outcome. Really, really, really simple.

Could you imagine the joy if:

- Vegas beats Miami
- Indy beats Pitt
- We beat NYJ
Posted By: FATE Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 04:47 PM

Could you imagine the joy if:

- Vegas beats Miami
- Indy beats Pitt
- We beat NYJ

Right? Can't the Gridiron Gods grant us that much after the turnaround this season? I want to pop the first cork this Sunday at 4pm!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 05:01 PM
and the following week, we beat Pittsburgh and become the 3rd Seed. Buffalo will be the 2nd Seed unless they lose both of their last two games, which is unlikely.

By my guesstimations, we will play the Titans in the Wild Card round.
If Buffalo loses in that round (unlikely), then we would actually have a path to Home games right up to the AFC Championship game, albeit an unlikely one.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 05:16 PM
Originally Posted By: kwhip
j/c...

Go Raiders!

bingo

According to what I'm seeing, the Flex Rules say it must be done within 12 days. 12 days is TODAY.

Would they flex before we even know if the Browns/ Pitt game means anything? Hmmm. Hopefully NOT. I HATE night games.

In Week 17, in order to ensure a Sunday night game with playoff implications, the decision to move the start time may be made on six days notice.

https://www.nfl.com/schedules/flexible-scheduling-procedures
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 05:36 PM
Ironically, there aren’t MANY games in week 17 of great importance. There’s a chance that NYG/DAL is important, but it could also be meaningless.

I don’t put it above the NFL to help push the Browns/Steelers for all the marbles on SNF
Posted By: mgh888 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 06:01 PM
I don't want to peak too far ahead. . . . 1-0 is good with me each week. But the only two AFC teams that really scare me if we are in the post season - KFC obviously, and the Ravens because we don't seem to have any answer for Lamar.
Posted By: thriller Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 06:23 PM
Things are tenuous right now...yes 10-4 is great and we are on the upswing but I want a playoff game and I think we'll need to beat Pitt to get in. I don't care how Pitt looks right now we don't fare well against them ever and I don't want our playoff birth to come down to beating them. I will be pulling for the Steelers on Sunday as much as I hate them. I do have battered fan syndrome, I will admit that but in my defence I have been a die hard fan since 1984 and have seen my share losses due to inferior teams and inexplicable game events.

I want a playoff game :

I want to experience that week of excitement leading up to a playoff game

I want to hear our team being talked about by the media ad nauseum during playoff week

I want to feel that extra pride when I wear my Browns gear

I want to feel the added excitement/anxiety that goes along with being in the playoffs

I want to feel the intensity that goes along with a playoff game

I want to experience optimism that we could win a playoff game and all that would go along with it....

Give me a damn playoff game ! I don't care how we get there...

If you'd rather have an all or nothing game against the Steelers in week 17 as opposed to losing the division and being a wildcard you haven't lived through the last 25 years of misery.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 06:40 PM
But I know a lot of these guys have lived through the last 25 years I've been (?) with them since 1995. rofl
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 06:55 PM
I don't want to peak too far ahead. . . . 1-0 is good with me each week. But the only two AFC teams that really scare me if we are in the post season - KFC obviously, and the Ravens because we don't seem to have any answer for Lamar.
Buffalo scares me more than the Chiefs or the Ravens. Buffalo is a more complete team. I think they could slow down our offense and we would struggle to stop theirs..

KC and the Ravens, I know we can't stop them, but I think we have a better chance to race up and down and score with them. Not saying we could (or should) beat them but I think we could hang with them and it would be a game until very late and then somebody, for one team or the other, would make a few plays to win the game. Very much like our last Ravens game. If Hunt goes down on the 2 on that last TD and it takes us 3 more plays to score, we probably win.. or if Baker doesn't throw the INT... or if Parkey doesn't miss from inside 40..
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 08:25 PM
I'd actually be happier to see the Giants beat the Ravens.

And Browns BEAT the Jets.

--------

And see the Bengals beat the Ravens week 17. (Can anybody loan the Bengals a Qb who can throw for more than 193 yards?, just for that week)
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 08:38 PM
and the following week, we beat Pittsburgh and become the 3rd Seed. Buffalo will be the 2nd Seed unless they lose both of their last two games, which is unlikely.

By my guesstimations, we will play the Titans in the Wild Card round.
If Buffalo loses in that round (unlikely), then we would actually have a path to Home games right up to the AFC Championship game, albeit an unlikely one.

That would be
1 Chiefs
2 Bills
3 Browns
4 Colts
5 Steelers unless The titans were 12-4 in which case the titans
6 (team that plays the Browns) Titans unless they're 12-4, in which case the Steelers
7 (Ravens or Dolphins)
the other, Ravens or Dolphins eliminated.

edit: I'm wrong, BC if the Titans were 12-4 they'd still have the division over the colts, I'd have to start over, (oh well can't get them all).
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 09:08 PM

--------

And see the Bengals beat the Ravens week 17. (Can anybody loan the Bengals a Qb who can throw for more than 193 yards?, just for that week)

For me...

Goal/wish priority
#1 Get in the playoffs
#2 Win the division
#3 Ravens don't make the playoffs
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 09:24 PM
it's all pretty easy to see if you use the ESPN tool. Just make your picks for each game and it figures it all out.... which is how I know that unless the Bills lose both of their remaining games, they will be the #2 Seed. When we beat Pitt, we'll be the #3 Seed.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 09:26 PM

--------

For me...

Goal/wish priority
#1 Get in the playoffs
#2 Win the division
#3 Ravens don't make the playoffs

If my guesses on how the games fall end up being correct, they will make it as the #7 Seed and play Buffalo, where they will likely get eliminated. If they somehow manage to beat Buffalo, then they have to get past KC. In that scenario, we could actually face them in the AFC Championship game at Home.

Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 09:37 PM
Your way of thinking can right back to week 6

Browns lost 7 to 38 to the steelers! You want your opportunity THERE IT WAS!

you want your special feeling win chance to take them out of the playoffs

chance to win the division?

THEY HAD IT, WEEK NUMBER 6,
CLEVELAND WAS 4-1

If Browns had won that game the Browns would already have clinched a playoff berth!

Since they didn't do that! Then it's just THEIR OWN FAULT that we have to hope the steelers beat the Colts so the Browns can lock up a playoff berth and not have to play Pittsburgh for a chance to play pittsburgh!

I'M GONNA BREAK THIS THING IF IT CAPITALZES THE WORD pittsburgh one more $%$%$% Time!

playoff berth 1st, Division 2nd. It's always been that way, since they started the wild card.

Can't win a SB if you can't get in the playoffs!

Your way of thinking is wanting another team to do the work of the Browns by putting us in the Playoffs. My way of thinking wants the Browns to put us in the Playoffs! If they can't do it then so be it. My way is by earning it! Your way is having someone give it to us.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 09:49 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
[quote=slick]THROW LONG there are some posters on this board who owe you a apology. They said you were full of it when you told them about the third team in the division rule. But you were right

Credit where credit

According to the ESPN playoff machine and numerous articles one of them from CBS sports it does

I've been trying to make a point proving it can not apply but know one will debunk my point.
If the Colts lose this week we are in the playoffs, even though we could still have the same record as the Colts after the last game of the season if they win and we lose to Steelers! THIS WITH US BEING THE 3RD TEAM IN THE DIVISION (assuming the Ravens win out) WITH THE COLTS BEING THE 2ND IN THEIRS. so the rule cannot apply
Posted By: FrankZ Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 09:51 PM
Is there an authoritative source for the idea that the third team in a division gets dropped? I did not see it on the NFL pages.

I would really like to read it.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 09:52 PM
Mox I understand what your saying but after having no playoff appearances in 18 years and only 1 payoff win in the last 30 I'll take getting in any way I can!!!!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 09:59 PM
Originally Posted By: FrankZ
Is there an authoritative source for the idea that the third team in a division gets dropped? I did not see it on the NFL pages.

I would really like to read it.

No, there is not. In fact, it is very likely that Pitt, us, and Baltimore are all in the playoffs this year.

What there is is a part of the tiebreaker rules where only one team per division is considered at a time. In Step 1 of tiebreaking, if there is more than one team from the same division (or divisions), then division tiebreakers are applied first. This means that there will never be more than a 4-way tie considered in Step 2 of tiebreaking.

Simple example:
There are two open wildcard playoff slots.
There are three teams tied, but Team A and Team B are in the same division. They are both tied with Team C. Team Z, from the same division as Teams A & B, won the division and is already in the playoffs.

The first step is to only consider one team per division, so division tiebreakers are applied. Team B is eliminated from THIS ROUND of tiebreaking; Team A is now finishing the tiebreaking with Team C.... Team A wins the tiebreakers and take the first slot in the playoffs.

We now still have Team B and Team C tied with the same record and one open playoff slot. There are only two teams and they are not in the same division; regular tiebreaking rules get applied. Team B wins the tiebreakers and take the last slot.

Voila... Teams Z, A, & B - all from the same division - are in the playoffs.
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 10:19 PM

you play the team you are scheduled to play.

1-0. You prepare to beat the team you play.

Nothing else matters. You control what you can control.

And that is all.

Beat the Jets.

And really the Brown's this year have won these type games.

They have come to far to let this all slip away. They will be ready to play and they will win.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 10:35 PM
We've been saying the same thing, Tie Breaks don't apply until teams have identical overall records.

and the rule never says it applies to two teams, only 3 or more teams, and teams from different divisions. And it's not a special rule it's just #1 in the (three or more clubs from different divisions)

Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 10:48 PM

At least we'll have more of our defense back!
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 10:52 PM
Things are tenuous right now...yes 10-4 is great and we are on the upswing but I want a playoff game and I think we'll need to beat Pitt to get in. I don't care how Pitt looks right now we don't fare well against them ever and I don't want our playoff birth to come down to beating them. I will be pulling for the Steelers on Sunday as much as I hate them. I do have battered fan syndrome, I will admit that but in my defence I have been a die hard fan since 1984 and have seen my share losses due to inferior teams and inexplicable game events.

I want a playoff game :

I want to experience that week of excitement leading up to a playoff game

I want to hear our team being talked about by the media ad nauseum during playoff week

I want to feel that extra pride when I wear my Browns gear

I want to feel the added excitement/anxiety that goes along with being in the playoffs

I want to feel the intensity that goes along with a playoff game

I want to experience optimism that we could win a playoff game and all that would go along with it....

Give me a damn playoff game ! I don't care how we get there...

If you'd rather have an all or nothing game against the Steelers in week 17 as opposed to losing the division and being a wildcard you haven't lived through the last 25 years of misery.

1982! All or nothing. Screw the Squealers!
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 11:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Mox I understand what your saying but after having no playoff appearances in 18 years and only 1 payoff win in the last 30 I'll take getting in any way I can!!!!
getting a wild card and losing in the first round of the playoffs would not be as sweet as winning the division even if we lose in the first round of the playoffs. Not to mention we'd get home field for the first game!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/23/20 11:05 PM
There are 7 spots at the table, Browns are only eligible to sit at the AFC North Division spot, or the 3 wild card spots.

There are 8 teams on the table,

There are two ways to get a team off the table, either win more than they have a possibility to,

or Slide them into one of the other spots, (example, A different divisions Div title spot, or a different WC spot.

A few weeks ago, the Raiders and Patriots were still on the Browns table, but when they reached enough losses, (7), that the Browns and them can't tie, they got kicked off the table, (as far as the Browns are concerned.)

The Chiefs, are no longer on the table because they won a div. the AFC West, which the Browns were never eligible for, Browns play in the AFC North.

Concerning Dolphins and Bills, Best Dolphins can do is lose the 3rd tie break, so the Bills have Won a div. Bills are now off the Browns table shoved into the AFC East Div title winner. seat.

What does that leave.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 12:00 AM
Worst case, we miss the playoffs this year. Best case, SUPER BOWL BABY! I'm going to watch one game at a time and just enjoy the ride. If we were to get to the big game, I'd probably stroke out during the AFC CHampionship game anyway. I too just want to see the Browns go to the Super Bowl before I die.
Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 12:35 AM
We actually want the titans to win, correct?
Posted By: bonefish Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 12:56 AM

All things considered I am about as calm as possible.

This is a good football team. At this point the Steelers are just another bump in the road.

They are a flawed team.

The deal is the Steelers are embedded so deep in our psyche. All the horror of years past. Most can not rid themselves of the past.

Except I don't buy into the past. I only see what is before me. The NFL is a week to week world.

The Jets are next up. I can not believe that we will lose this game. The Browns have worked so hard to get here. They will be very determined. At the end we just have to much talent and we will be extremely focused. The Jets just will not be able to slug it out against us for four quarters. It is 1-13 vs 10-4.

The Steelers next week. We can beat them if we play to our capability.

After that we shall see. It will all be determined soon.

Posted By: RedBaron Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 01:59 AM
No, not anymore. If the Titans lose, there is still a possibility of them losing again smile

If the Colts beat the Steelers, they play the Jags in week 17 I believe. rofl

If they both finish 12-4, we really have to win out baring a lose by the rats or dolphins.

It's easier just to root for the Ravens or Dolphins lose. smile
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 05:32 AM
We actually want the titans to win, correct?

Sometimes I don't flippin know anymore, but it's all the evil empire of the Ravens fault.

See the Blasted enemy Ravens, who'll likely end up 11-5 lest they fall to the Giants or Bengals, are ahead of the Browns.

Now, See Here's the thing, (as I look again at my 6 week old stapled list of schedules)
The Ravens, Beat the colt, (so ahead of colts )

the Ravens, lost to the titans, (so behind titans)
And got swept by the stillers, (so behind titans)

What really matters is if the Colts lose Browns are in, because of this, Part of,

If the Colts are part of the mix for Wild card then we can shove the Ravens into a higer WC spot for having beat the colts,
(what's that do? It GETS THE GOD FORSAKEN RAVENS FRANCHISE OFF THE KERKA DOODY TABLE! ) for the next spot.

But! If the blasted Colts, get the Division spot, ABOVE THE TITANS, then, the titans are back in the WC mix.
Ravens, losing to the titans, (benefits them if they're trying to get rid of us because)

Ravens losing to the titans means they,(ravens) don't go into spot 5, or 6, which means they are (off the @$%$%$%$% table when time to look at spot 7 comes around.

See Browns didn't knock the (evil empire) of the Ravens off the Browns' table on MNF three weeks ago,

So the Browns can still knock the (evil empire) of the Ravens off their table, with overall record, by beating Both the Steelers and Jets, and finishing 12-4 (this year)

But if the Browns aren't able to do that then another way for the Browns to knock the evil empire of the Ravens off their table, is to have the Ravens

Ravens play the 1 on 1 roc paper scissors fight against the Colts, which the Ravens win, and get stuck into a spot a spot above you but yet out of the tournament.

And that allows the Browns to get into a 1 on 1 roc paper scissors fight with the Colts, in the next round
(because the colts didn't beat the ravens)
And that's a fight the Browns win, because the Browns beat the colts on week 5. And ensures spot 7.

And a last way to get the (hated evil empire) of the ravens off the Browns' playoff table is for the Ravens to lose themselves.

Now, nobody has to play rock paper scissors,(i.e. 1 v 1 tie breaker), with a different team if they have a better overall record.

but, 1.v.1, like 5 weeks ago, and still, until the Pats and Raiders lost enough, the Browns were behind

behind the Pats, Bills, Dolphins, and Raiders, and chiefs,
(now chiefs were 8-1 to start vs the afc, that's why)
(and Bills were 7-0 to start vs the afc, that's why)

(Browns, opening day loss vs ravens, and raiders loss, had 2 losses or more in the afc) So back then, they were also on the table, in the way of the Browns getting a spot but when they won a division, they got taken off the table.
(the pats above the Browns in a 4-1, vs, 2-3, (common games minimum four), tie break of teams Raiders, Jets, Ravens, Texans, that's why.) (if they had came to the 1 v. 1 roc paper scissors)
And behind the Raiders with a loss
And behind the Ravens but with that 2nd opportunity to beat the Ravens on MNF ahead of them.

The Browns only get a spot by knocking every other team off the table of teams that stand in their way of their playoff berth seat at the table.

So, Titans? Browns either want them to stay ahead of the Colts in the division race, or, lose twice!
Currently the Titans tie beat the Colts +1 in division record each with one divisional to play,
Titans at Texans, Colts host Jaguars, both week 17.

If they tie in division record, and then tie in conf record, let's see. it comes to common games the Titans and Colts are tied in common games with 2 each to go,
if they tied in common games it would come to

Strength of victory, and then next would be strength of schedule.

Titans vs colts, sov, whew, (I don't go this far usually) one team beat the bengals other didn't play them, other team beat the...
Bills and Packers both 11-3

Yes, Colts need to lose, need Titans to stay ahead of the colts.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 02:55 PM
[img:center]https://images.app.goo.gl/M4iUfJgEp1jJaFnJA[/img]
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 02:58 PM
[url=]win[/url]
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 04:45 PM
Quote:
Your way of thinking is wanting another team to do the work of the Browns by putting us in the Playoffs. My way of thinking wants the Browns to put us in the Playoffs! If they can't do it then so be it. My way is by earning it! Your way is having someone give it to us.

I have never believed this line of thinking. I do not believe that anybody backs into the playoffs. We play 16 games, everybody else plays 16 games, the schedules were made pretty consistent a long time ago, and we all play by the same playoff rules... if we go 11-5, we will have earned every bit of that 11-5 record.. if the Dolphins, Colts, or Ravens lose and that helps the Browns get in the playoffs, then they didn't earn it and we did. I would walk into the playoffs with my head held high.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 05:26 PM
Thank you.

I wasn't sure where the idea that if we finished third in the division we are automatically dropped came from.

My take is just win and see what happens.

Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 06:21 PM
Well with the now distinct possibility that we just lost our starting left tackle for the last two games and our starting guard is already out for the last two games we need all the help we can get. Being down our starting LT AND RG makes the jets who just beat the rams a potentially nail biter
Posted By: lampdogg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/24/20 10:43 PM
Quote:

I have never believed this line of thinking. I do not believe that anybody backs into the playoffs. We play 16 games, everybody else plays 16 games, the schedules were made pretty consistent a long time ago, and we all play by the same playoff rules... if we go 11-5, we will have earned every bit of that 11-5 record.. if the Dolphins, Colts, or Ravens lose and that helps the Browns get in the playoffs, then they didn't earn it and we did. I would walk into the playoffs with my head held high.

Spot on. Exactly how I view it.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/25/20 05:27 AM
GC. Is there really anything more to explain about the AFC Playoff chase that hasn't been discussed already. (Sure, it's fun I'll feel different next time.)

We know a couple things.
1. There is 1 more team than spots available for teams.

2. We are all Browns fans! thumbsup

3. Do we really have any question which team will miss out altogether.

4. Go place a bet, make your 1080 dollars, it's inevitable folks, Where ya been the last 30 years.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/25/20 08:20 AM
Efficacy for this weekend, any result that get’s us into the playoffs.

Take your grandiose notions elsewhere, we need to get in. Lo siento
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/25/20 12:17 PM
Go 1-0. No control over anything else. Go 1-0.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/25/20 06:00 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Go 1-0. No control over anything else. Go 1-0.
bingo
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/25/20 07:40 PM
Efficacy for this weekend, any result that get’s us into the playoffs.

Take your grandiose notions elsewhere, we need to get in. Lo siento

Playoff status had listed this as "clinching options" for Browns, under Browns > what if.

For this week, they only look at current weeks.

Spot 4 win the division, (no clinching options)

Ok, Spots 5, 6, and 7, all wild card spots..If this happens this week;

Browns Clinch at least WC spot 7 if,
A. Browns beat Jets and
B1. Colts lose to Steelers, or
B2. Dolphins lose to Raiders, or
B3. Ravens lose to Giants

Browns Clinch spot 6, a better WC spot if.
A. Browns beat Jets and
combine any 2 of ^ letters B'. above

Browns clinch spot 5, the top wild card spot, this week if. Browns beat Jets and
1. Combine all 3 of ^letters B above, OR!

2. Browns beat Jets and
Combine letters B2 above Dolphins lose to Raiders
letter B3 above Ravens lose to Giants and
B4. Titans lose to Packers.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/25/20 11:21 PM
And to think, potential ties haven't been factored.

If we win on Sunday and tie the Steelers the final week, I wonder how that could shake things up?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 03:59 AM
They would win the division because they beat us in the first meeting; so we'd be entered into the wild card shuffle, but with one less loss than the 11-5 teams.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 03:49 PM
Go Raiders
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 05:17 PM
Go Raiders
please Chucks, run one down for us
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 06:05 PM
If the Browns win the final 2 games they're probably at least guaranteed the 5 spot, I'd like to see them get the 5 spot.
(Oh why not win the division? ) (here's why,

I think it's an easier road to the Super Bowl.
I think winning the division is going to get them Pittsburgh in the first round, and getting the 5 spot is going to get them Tennessee, maybe buffalo, or ? Colts, in the first round.

And no matter how great I think the Browns are, back to back weeks against Pittsburgh seems like a recipe for disaster, even if the Browns are the better team,

Road to Hoisting the Trophe and getting the Parade seems to me, goes easier starting at getting that 5 seed, This year!

And anybody that has a problem with trying to find the best way for the Browns Super Bowl Victory #1 path, I don't know what you're rooting for.

I can't think of a nicer way, than beating Pittsburgh week 17,
Beating Tennessee or Bills round 1.
Then beating the Bills or Tennessee round 2
Then beating Whomever's left in the Championship week
Then beating Whomever the NFC wants to send to the Super Bowl.

A real all around Championship!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 06:11 PM
Everybody remember the NFL 100 Year commercial last year where Brady tells Baker to hold his rings?

Well, I think we might see Baker beat Brady in February.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 06:27 PM
I Never saw it. Sounds messed up.
Brady always was kind of lame to begin with, Brady was pretty much boring to watch.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 11:05 PM
I’ve been shocked by the amount of Browns fans, rooting to clinch next week. We need to get in this week, by any means possible, playoffs are the only thing that matters. Especially considering we are down a few men.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 11:05 PM
At this rate we better pray that we can get in the playoffs ANY WAY
Posted By: Rishuz Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 11:42 PM

Would be crazy that the last two 10-6 finishes by the team resulted in no playoffs, if it turned out that way.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/26/20 11:52 PM
Well with our Browns it's never easy and now this news. The other shoe just dropped. Best of luck to us tomorrow.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Well with our Browns it's never easy and now this news. The other shoe just dropped. Best of luck to us tomorrow.

Posted By: slick Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 04:55 AM
The Bills dont even need to play thier staters the final week and when the steelers lose tommorrow they wont even have to play thier starters against the Patriots on Monday night . Either way dolphins are now in. Even if by a miracle we beat the jets we then have to try to beat the Steelers who I just dont see losing 5 in a row. Not to mention I would not be shocked when our starting wr core all of a sudden test "positive " for the virus.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 05:11 AM
We are 10-4, yet every little bump in the road brings on a new round of despair and wrists slitting. How about we let them play the games before we crown somebody else victor in the games we might yet win? What the actual hell you guys? How do you even call yourselves fans...
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 05:56 AM
Whipped Dawgs only know how to howl.

And to a man, if you asked them in August if they thought the Browns would be playing a meaningful game on the last weekend in December... they'd have howled- with laughter.

pffft.

I love this team's 2020 story. This most recent news is just the next chapter.

I think it just adds another layer of intrigue. Baker loves to play the undervalued world-beater. Analysts/commentators still hang the "He hasn't had to carry the team" sign around his neck. Stef's '1-0' on the line again.

Man, I love it. Pour it on. Let's see what this team is really about. A true test of character amid adversity. The first real test of Stefanski's nascent culture here at CLE. I just don't see the guy panicking over this. And if he doesn't panic, and Baker doesn't panic, and 24 and 27 and 95 and 54 and... you get my point, I'm sure.

What a fascinating season.

Posted By: Psydeffect Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 06:02 AM
Whipped Dawgs only know how to howl.

And to a man, if you asked them in August if they thought the Browns would be playing a meaningful game on the last weekend in December... they'd have howled- with laughter.

pffft.

I love this team's 2020 story. This most recent news is just the next chapter.

I think it just adds another layer of intrigue. Baker loves to play the undervalued world-beater. Analysts/commentators still hang the "He hasn't had to carry the team" sign around his neck. Stef's 1-0 on the line again.

Man, I love it. Pour it on. Let's see what this team is really about. A true test of character amid adversity. The first real test of Stefanski's nascent culture at CLE. I just don't see the guy panicking over this. And if he doesn't panic, and Baker doesn't panic, and 24 and 27 and 95 and 54 and... you get my point, I'm sure.

What a fascinating season.

Well said on all points, and I agree. I think Stefanski has this, great mind we have in control.

Plus Chubb and Hunt, i'm not that worried. Lets just win out and control our own destiny!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 06:30 AM
Quote:
Lets just win out and control our own destiny!

YupYup, and for sure. Brownies have more 2020 story to write. Think what a story we'll tell if lightning strikes.

But I'm also talking about how sweet the future looks after this season. Psyde: this team is poised to come back pretty much the same next year. Same FO. Same coaching staff. Same feature players. Same system. Same on field/classroom language.

Same culture.

I can't stress how important that is. So much of CLE's bad history since The Return has been of an endless succession of houses hastily built upon shifting sands. We finally have a chance to build something of quality that could last... and that (to me, at least) is more important than the final results of this season.

CLE v. NYJ is the next step. I'll be on the edge of my couch tomorrow. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 11:26 AM

Browns can still get in if they reach 12-4, (Say that out loud and realize how preposterous that is)

12 and 4 just to qualify, or Zip--- nada, oh well.

Browns may still get in if they finish 11-5 but realize the Raiders vs Dolphins game just hurt the Browns.

( If the Browns spin around the ole who gets in card game and it comes to Browns vs Dolphins in a tie break,
at 11-5 in any way:
Know that last nights game kicked the Browns out by way of the "common games minimum 4" Which, by rule is looked at before strength of victory, or strength of schedule.
(Common Games Browns vs. Dolphins)---
going into last nights games the Dolphins were 4-0 with 1 remaining, (the raiders)
the Browns were 3-1 with 1 remaining (the jets)

( Those common games minimum 4, being (Jaguars, Jets, Bengals, Raiders,) ((dolphins swept the jets, Browns swept the bengals.))

That would occur, if it did, in the, 2 Clubs Not In The Same Division tie break.

Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 11:51 AM
Quote:
Lets just win out and control our own destiny!

YupYup, and for sure. Brownies have more 2020 story to write. Think what a story we'll tell if lightning strikes.

But I'm also talking about how sweet the future looks after this season. Psyde: this team is poised to come back pretty much the same next year. Same FO. Same coaching staff. Same feature players. Same system. Same on field/classroom language.

Same culture.

I can't stress how important that is. So much of CLE's bad history since The Return has been of an endless succession of houses hastily built upon shifting sands. We finally have a chance to build something of quality that could last... and that (to me, at least) is more important than the final results of this season.

CLE v. NYJ is the next step. I'll be on the edge of my couch tomorrow. Go Browns!!!

Is that whole post a vieled "Next year" forget about this year kind of thing?
The Browns haven't been in the playoffs in 19 years, that's the longest streak in the NFL.

Pettine, had his best year year 1.
Romeo Crennel didn't match his success after his extension.

Culture and Foundation don't mean anymore than "moral victories", what does is winning, and there are no guarantees, I'll bring up the culture the Texans had 2 years ago, iirc, when they won the division, how bout the Jaguars won their division the year prior.

Bottom line!
Browns do it THIS YEAR, or everything they did so far,
Coming back to beat the redskins
rebounding from opening day to dominate the bengals
surviving 500ish passing yards in week 7 from burrow
Winning in Dallas
Upending the Colts in the 4th quarter

Railroading the Texans, eagles, and jaguars after the bye week,
Sweeping 2 divisions
Upseting the Titans on the road

Is All For Nothing if they don't get In the Playoffs! This Year!

Screw Next year
It's been 32 next years!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: AFC Playoff Chase Continued - 12/27/20 12:11 PM
If the NFL wants to treat the Cleveland Browns, like college football treats the Indiana Hoosiers, or the Cincinnati Bearcats?

The Cleveland Browns are not playing Southern Sponge Bob university, or Cartoon state! The Browns are playing a real NFL Schedule!
Here are the overall records, from 1 week ago!
1. Chiefs 13-1
2. Packers 11-3
3. Bills 11-3
4. steelers 11-3
5. Titans 10-4
6. Browns 10-4
7. Colts 10-4
8. Saints 10-4
9. Seahawks 10-4
10. Rams 9-5
11. Buccaneers 9-5
12. Dolphins 9-5
13. Ravens 9-5
14. Cardinals 8-6
15. Raiders 7-7
16. Bears 7-7
17. Redskins 6-8
18. Vikings 6-8
19 Patriots 6-8
20. Broncos 5-9
21. Chargers 5-9
22. Lions 5-9
23. Cowboys 5-9
24. FortyNiners 5-9
25. Giants 5-9
26. Eagles 4-9-1
27. Texans 4-10
28. Falcons 4-10
29. Panthers 4-10
30. Bengals 3-10-1
31. Jaguars 1-13
32. Jets 1-13

If the NFL keeps the Browns out of the Playoffs, then 2020 is no better than last year's 6-10 record.
© DawgTalkers.net