DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Trades - 03/09/21 04:30 PM
So far we’ve had some monster deals. Stafford to the Rams and Wentz to the Colts. I anticipate a bunch more trades because of the reduced cap.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Trades - 03/09/21 11:09 PM
Oh my goodness.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/11/21 07:35 PM

Culley has given several interviews over the past couple days and seems completely overwhelmed by this situation. He is in a really tough spot and has almost no experience dealing with the media.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 03/11/21 07:39 PM
Watson isn't a Houston Texan? I believe he is... as of now.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 03/11/21 07:42 PM
I think he was hinting at the committed part.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trades - 03/11/21 08:35 PM
So far, the 2020's Texans look like they're trying to become what the 2010's Browns were.
Posted By: eotab Re: Trades - 03/11/21 10:27 PM
anyone who farts at the end of their commitment to the team. Thats like dotting the I if you ask me.

The moment of truth!!! laugh

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/14/21 05:39 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/15/21 06:39 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/17/21 04:46 PM

If that was offered for Russell Wilson, what could the Texans get for DeShaun Watson?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Trades - 03/17/21 04:57 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

If that was offered for Russell Wilson, what could the Texans get for DeShaun Watson?

so, tehy probably offered 3 first round picks
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 03/17/21 05:07 PM
Seattle probably would only accept a trade if they’re getting all of those picks AND one of the starters is a viable QB (like Tua or Darnold maybe)
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 03/17/21 05:14 PM
Sounds like BS to me.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Trades - 03/18/21 12:55 AM

He's not as good so I'm guessing less?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/18/21 12:58 AM
He’s also like seven years younger.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Trades - 03/18/21 01:28 AM
I would take Russell over Deshaun all day, but there both cry babies making $40 mil ... smh
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Trades - 03/18/21 02:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Seattle probably would only accept a trade if they’re getting all of those picks AND one of the starters is a viable QB (like Tua or Darnold maybe)

From CBS sports, it was 3 first a third and a list of players which Seattle could pick any two they wanted. 2 of those players were confirmed to be Akheim Hicks and Khalil Mack.
They said it was Pete Carroll's decision and he said no deal.

I think I might have taken that deal
Posted By: jaybird Re: Trades - 03/18/21 02:17 AM
Originally Posted By: northlima dawg

From CBS sports, it was 3 first a third and a list of players which Seattle could pick any two they wanted. 2 of those players were confirmed to be Akheim Hicks and Khalil Mack.
They said it was Pete Carroll's decision and he said no deal.

I think I might have taken that deal

If i'm seattle I'm firing Pete and taking the deal... I understand why Pete said no... he's too old for a rebuild.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:05 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:05 PM

Well that was unexpected. That means Fields, Lance, or Wilson will be a 49er.
Posted By: Swish Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:07 PM
Fields the favorite, or Wilson?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:08 PM
Also, the Dolphins are reaping the benefits of destroying the Texans in the Tunsil trade.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:09 PM
And so goes the Jimmy G run.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
Fields the favorite, or Wilson?

It seems like the Jets are taking a QB at 2, so that means the 49ers get whoever the want of the leftover two. Even if the Jets don’t take a QB I’d assume they trade down with a team that wants a QB.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:09 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Remember when people wanted to trade all our picks for him?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:11 PM

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:12 PM

Remember when people wanted to trade all our picks for him?

I would have preferred AJ McCarron. rofl
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:21 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 05:37 PM
Posted By: Hammer Re: Trades - 03/26/21 06:16 PM
So Miami drops back 3 spots and picks up a 3rd this year and a 1st in 2023. They still get one of the top OTs/WRs/TE in the draft.Not bad.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 03/26/21 06:21 PM
Well, this was an entirely unexpected bit of insanity!

Nicely done, Miami!
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Trades - 03/26/21 09:45 PM
STILL 5 WEEKS TO GO!!!

I bet Bengals fans are pretty stoked now that they are in position for Sewell with the dolphins dropping back.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 10:14 PM

Or Mac Jones.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 10:18 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Nicely done, Miami!

And there is a decent chance the receivers between Chase, Smith, and Waddle will still be there at 6.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 10:18 PM
Originally Posted By: cle23

Or Mac Jones.

I would be shocked but it’s out there. I think it’s possible we have four QBs go 1, 2, 3, 4. I think it is even possible QBs go 1-5.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Trades - 03/26/21 10:59 PM
3 1st round picks for the (likely) 3rd choice of the QBs. Yowza, definitely paid the QB trade up premium. I guess a rookie QB (contract) should make it easier to keep the rest of a pretty good roster together. It definitely looks like the best landing spot if you're one of those draftable QBs.

Now we just need Carolina to trade up to 4 for the last of the big names at QB. Maybe even push Jones, Mond, and Mills in front of us, though that's probably too much to hope for.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/26/21 11:10 PM
Just based off of what is being said today I would be surprised if Mac Jones doesn’t go before our pick.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 03/26/21 11:41 PM
j/c...

H/T to Miami on outstanding trades.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 12:01 AM
Just based off of what is being said today I would be surprised if Mac Jones doesn’t go before our pick.

Jones goes top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the pick at 3.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 01:11 AM

Nicely done, Miami!

And there is a decent chance the receivers between Chase, Smith, and Waddle will still be there at 6.

Or Pitts
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 01:33 AM
Why did the Dolphins trade back up?
Posted By: jaybird Re: Trades - 03/27/21 02:44 AM
wow!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Trades - 03/27/21 02:49 AM

Miami is winning the trade game... if they can cash in on those picks they'll be money
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 03:31 AM
Originally Posted By: jaybird

Miami is winning the trade game... if they can cash in on those picks they'll be money

But why did they give up a future first to live back up to six? Especially this far away from the draft. It doesn’t make any sense.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Trades - 03/27/21 03:54 AM
Maybe, just maybe, they want to be in position to take one of the best non-QBs in the draft.

Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Sewell, Slater - something they would not be at #12.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 04:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Maybe, just maybe, they want to be in position to take one of the best non-QBs in the draft.

Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Smith, Sewell, Slater - something they would not be at #12.

Right. But why not wait and see how the draft falls and then trade up? There’s a decent chance one of the guys you named will be there at 12.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Trades - 03/27/21 04:07 AM
Obviously the Eagles were looking to trade down.
The 49ers were looking to trade up
and the Dolphins did not want to risk losing someone they view as a blue-chip guy.

I see nothing wrong with what the 'Phins did.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Trades - 03/27/21 04:16 AM
Why would they take Pitts? Thay already Gisecki who is pretty good. I think they go best WR on their board.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 03/27/21 09:43 AM
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg
3 1st round picks for the (likely) 3rd choice of the QBs. Yowza, definitely paid the QB trade up premium. I guess a rookie QB (contract) should make it easier to keep the rest of a pretty good roster together. It definitely looks like the best landing spot if you're one of those draftable QBs.

Now we just need Carolina to trade up to 4 for the last of the big names at QB. Maybe even push Jones, Mond, and Mills in front of us, though that's probably too much to hope for.

I don't know that it matters. I think those QB's were going to be picked in front of us, so the order and when doesn't make all that much of a difference as far as the Browns are concerned.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 03/27/21 09:46 AM

Jones goes top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the pick at 3.

That might surprise me, but I never saw Jones falling below our draft selection. I think he is and always was going to be selected in the top 2/3 of the 1st round.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 03/27/21 09:50 AM

Right. But why not wait and see how the draft falls and then trade up? There’s a decent chance one of the guys you named will be there at 12.

I think in the heat of the draft, the price is likely to be more expensive. Doing so early gives both teams the ability to think about it overnight.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Trades - 03/27/21 12:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Frenchy
Why would they take Pitts? Thay already Gisecki who is pretty good. I think they go best WR on their board.

Pitts could be the top "WR" on their board. He's basically the same size as Calvin Johnson coming out of Georgia Tech.

Or they could use him in 2TE sets.

It'd give them a lot of versatility. Pitts and Gesicki are both guys you can move around.

Why take a WR when you can take a guy who is a TE and a WR?

There is a lot of discussion about who the top receiver is. They all have some question marks. Chase didn't play last season, Waddle has injury concerns, Smith has size concerns. (None of that means they'd be bad picks) Pitts is the top non-QB prospect on a bunch of big boards.

I think Pitts actually makes a lot of sense for them.

There are plenty of receivers in the draft. Only 1 player like Pitts.
Posted By: eotab Re: Trades - 03/27/21 12:43 PM

hmmm.... Perry Mason laugh
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 02:48 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think in the heat of the draft, the price is likely to be more expensive. Doing so early gives both teams the ability to think about it overnight.

I doubt it would be more expensive than a future first.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 03/27/21 04:03 PM
Working a trade now is a certainty. A spur of the moment decision in the future is not.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 04:22 PM
I’m taking the extra first round pick and the uncertainty.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Trades - 03/27/21 06:16 PM
Bill O Brien is that you? wink
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Trades - 03/27/21 06:45 PM

But why did they give up a future first to live back up to six? Especially this far away from the draft. It doesn’t make any sense.

Honestly, I don't think they are all in on Tua.

Will there be a decent qb at 6?
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Trades - 03/27/21 06:58 PM
The trade back up into the top 10 does make it seem like the 'Phins are targeting a playmaker.

With the differences in attributes between Slater and Sewell, it's hard to imagine they have them so closely ranked that it would merit trading away a future 1st to get one of them (obviously they did not see either as a must-get guy, otherwise they would not have traded down below Cincinnati).

Simultaneously, since they traded back up to 6 and remained below the Bengals with almost 5 weeks to go before the draft, they must not be too concerned with Cincinnati's selection.

All that points to them having 2 ("possibly 3") guys that they identified as hard targets, with it most likely being a playmaker.

Going off the "consensus" (yikes), I'm going to randomly guess Chase and either Pitts or Waddle. If they actually have 3 hard targets, Pitts would theoretically almost certainly be one of them just going of the series of events.

90% playmaker
10% O-line (they could have an O-lineman and 2 playmakers as their targets).

Still speculative, but otherwise...why the move back up?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 03/27/21 07:02 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Working a trade now is a certainty. A spur of the moment decision in the future is not.

and, I'm betting that whomever it is they are targeting is expected to get snatched by one of the teams between #7 and #11. So, they spent a free pick to leap-frog ahead of whomever that was. Maybe it's the team at #7, or maybe The Eagles are the first ones ahead of that team that they could get to take the deal.

Additionally, if you wait for a team to be on the clock, you now have a very small timeframe to work that trade and they have ALL the leverage to get more out of you. If you know who you want and where they will be available, then you position yourself now to get them.

Now, if you weren't 1000% certain that you just MUST have that one player, then, absolutely sit tight and play it by ear... but, if you gotta have one of the guys at that spot, then you have to go get that spot.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 07:09 PM
If they wanted to take a QB they wouldn’t have traded down from three.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 03/27/21 07:10 PM
But what about picks four and five? It’s just a strange decision to trade up to that spot at this point in time.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Trades - 03/27/21 07:14 PM
j/c:

Lots of mocks were projecting Pitts to the Eagles. If he was the target, Miami would likely have needed to get back in front of the Eagles, which this move does. Plus they still have extra picks from trading back with SF.

Alternatively, if by some chance the Bengals go Pitts, the Dolphins will likely still have their pick of the receivers and the trade up would indicate that they have a preference for one over the others. Furthermore, they may have been worried about Pitts, Chase, Waddle, and Smith all being gone at 12.

They likely want to give Tua every chance to succeed by surrounding him with high end pass catching talent.

...or I could have no idea what I'm talking about and they want the first edge or CB.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 03/27/21 07:15 PM
But what about picks four and five? It’s just a strange decision to trade up to that spot at this point in time.

I'm guessing that they've done their homework, and based on who they expect those teams to take, they obviously feel that #6 is where they can get THE guy, or one of the guys, they have targeted.

Maybe they tried to move up to #5 and they wouldn't bite, making #6 the highest they could get? We don't get to know that stuff, but by all appearances, they seem poised to still be guaranteed of getting the guy they were looking for, and they'll actually get to lock in a slightly lower amount of guaranteed money for him.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 03/27/21 08:59 PM

Agreed. Unless at this point in time, they like a few guys exponentially higher than everyone else (and there isn't much separation between those players as far as grades) and will be fine with any of them.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Trades - 03/28/21 02:46 AM
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trades - 03/29/21 02:27 PM
Damn. Hope Sewell doesn't fall to the Bengals.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Trades - 03/29/21 03:01 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Damn. Hope Sewell doesn't fall to the Bengals.

I'm not sure they take him if he is there, Jonah Williams their 1st rnd pick from 2019 who missed his rookie year do to injury played really well at LT last season. The Bengals main Oline problems were their OGs plus they could really use a WR or a guy like Pitts to give Burrow some weapons.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trades - 03/29/21 04:20 PM
Did he play that well? I remember him getting beaten like a drum against us in Game 1. I think it was against Clayborn??? What about them taking Sewell and sliding Williams inside (I would say RT, but I think they signed someone already)?
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Trades - 03/29/21 04:41 PM
He wasn't great but for his 1st year he did rather well, PFF grades:

Overall grade
Wills 61.5
Williams 70.1

Run Block grade
Wills 50.3
Williams 53.4

Pass Block grade
Wills 79.4
Williams 75.8

Pressures
Wills 4 sacks 5 hits 9 hurries
Williams 3 sacks 6 hits 11 hurries

Penalties
Willis 11
Williams 2

I just see the Bengals going Playmaker 1st and OG later.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 04/02/21 03:49 PM
I think the Bengals take the WR from LSU
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Trades - 04/02/21 04:43 PM

That's my thinking as well, either him or Pitts the TE from Florida. I don't see them going Sewell unless those 2 are gone.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 04/02/21 04:47 PM

And then Joe Burrow dies.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Trades - 04/02/21 06:24 PM

They don't protect Burrow he will go down again ...
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Trades - 04/02/21 06:42 PM

I believe Jonah Williams graded out better than Wills, and the Bengals signed Riley Reiff this offseason for their RT. Based on this, I don't think OT is the issue and there isn't a guard or C that is worth a top 5 pick.

Sewell makes sense if they want to move either Williams or Reiff inside - otherwise take best player that isn't a QB or OT and draft him some OG/OC beef in 2 and 3
Posted By: Hammer Re: Trades - 04/02/21 06:59 PM
Chase - bank on it.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Trades - 04/02/21 09:58 PM
Reiff is turning 33 and signed a one-year contract.

I think Mike Brown saw his life flash before his eyes when Burrow went down.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 04/02/21 10:41 PM

rofl
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Trades - 04/02/21 11:07 PM
Conservative Mike Brown goes LT to protect his franchise ... JMO
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 04/03/21 02:56 PM

Posted By: jfanent Re: Trades - 04/03/21 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
Reiff is turning 33 and signed a one-year contract.

I think Mike Brown saw his life flash before his eyes when Burrow went down.

Then he's a complete idiot. Everybody and their brother knew Burrow was a season ending injury waiting to happen.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Trades - 04/03/21 06:57 PM
Burrow all season was trying to play hero ball. He put himself in a lot of risky situation all in the name of trying to make a play. It was only inevitable for him to get hurt at some point.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 04/05/21 05:11 PM
Originally Posted By: The Collector
Burrow all season was trying to play hero ball. He put himself in a lot of risky situation all in the name of trying to make a play. It was only inevitable for him to get hurt at some point.
I’ve actually seen Mahomes do this more recently too. He’s gotta be more pocket oriented moving forward (and, yes, his OL had a lot to do with that)
Posted By: The Collector Re: Trades - 04/05/21 06:12 PM
This is quite true... Mahomes, if you watch his drop back.. it's the farthest than any QB... he doesn't like to climb the pocket. He dips out back given his athletisim and then will try to turn it up field.

If you bracket him rather than rush him... you're more likely to get the sack. Because your defenders are playing for territory.

Granted he's such a damn athlete that he was able to hit people in their hands as he was falling to the ground... but that's something else entirely

Since the game was on the line and it was the last game of the year he did far more to force the ball to people. If it were a regular season game and they were getting mauled like they were. You'd have seen a bit more conservative play from them IMO. Lots more throwing the ball away likely.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 04/05/21 06:56 PM
Not sure if you're arguing that it's his fault, but with the team that he had I think it's perfectly normal that he felt he had to put the team on his back.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 04/05/21 07:13 PM
And thus the conundrum of differing opinions. Some people fell that being a good leader means putting it all on the line each and every down to set an example to your team mates. To show them your heart and grit. Some think a better form of leadership is to realize that you have to be there for your team moving forward because without you they stand no chance. That you should protect yourself with that in mind. The "live to fight another day" perspective.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:00 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:00 PM
So QBs go at least 1-3.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:01 PM
I would have held out for a bag of Tostitos, too.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:09 PM
j/c...

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:27 PM
To follow up on that, Ryan Tannehill in 2019 and 2020 averaged 91.4 (90.3 and 92.5).

It'll be interesting to watch how Darnold does in the next two seasons.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:36 PM
Yep. Everybody had him as the best prospect coming out that year but we went with Baker and I'm glad we did. Rosen was supposed to be the most NFL ready but Darnold had the most upside... Mayfield, Allen, and JacKson were the risky picks at QB... I still think the 2018 QB draft class will be one of the best in a decade or more.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:44 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:49 PM
I thought it was obvious that Jackson and Allen had more upside, they just also had way more risk.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:58 PM
"Everybody had him as the best prospect coming out that year".

Uhhh, no.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Trades - 04/05/21 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
j/c...

That'll right a whole lotta wrongs.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Trades - 04/05/21 09:03 PM
Colin must be crying on Joy's shoulder.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Trades - 04/05/21 09:05 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
j/c...

crazy amounts of opportunities
Posted By: Swish Re: Trades - 04/05/21 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
j/c...

I remember when we were winning the draft year after year and being trash. I get why people like draft picks but you still gotta hit on them.

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Trades - 04/05/21 09:20 PM
j/c...

And yet it can still end up as a Manziel /Gilbert type first round.
Yikes our GMs were awful.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/05/21 10:48 PM
Sam Darnold is 23 years old.

In my opinion he never had a chance in NY.

It was an impossible task given all the circumstances that were there when he was drafted. He had zero support. A horrible line in front. No receivers. and no running backs worth much.

In addition Adam Gase was a disaster as a head coach.

I do not know much about the Panthers. However, It is my belief that if they surround Darnold with some weapons.
He has a chance to still become a good quarterback.

I do not think any of the quarterbacks in that draft going to NY would have succeeded until the team improved overall.
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Trades - 04/05/21 11:43 PM
Agreed. I was very happy we didn’t end up with him in that draft considering a lot of people had him pegged coming to Cleveland. That was the last year I really spent a good bit of free time watching games of QB prospects and I didn’t like him. I’m no QB expert but the interviews and the games just left me tepid.

All that said... I live in NY area and have watched a bunch of Jets games and the problems here were not primarily his IMO. Gase was an unmitigated disaster of Brownsian proportions. He might have a little rise into the upper echelons of decent to pretty good in Carolina. He’s still so young, who knows.

And as others have noted, that’s a nice draft accumulation for NY but at the end of the day no one knows as well as we about the futility of volume over value in the draft. How many years did I think we just HAVE to hit on one or two this year with how many picks we have. Yea, well...
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 04/06/21 12:12 PM
j/c...

... or.....

:-p

You need a draft that lines up with your draft ammo (some drafts are relative duds), and you need someone who can cash in on those picks. Nobody bats 1.00, but you need someone that won't flub those blue-chip picks and will hit on at least half of the round 2-4 picks.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trades - 04/06/21 12:55 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish
Sam Darnold is 23 years old.

In my opinion he never had a chance in NY.

It was an impossible task given all the circumstances that were there when he was drafted. He had zero support. A horrible line in front. No receivers. and no running backs worth much.

In addition Adam Gase was a disaster as a head coach.

I do not know much about the Panthers. However, It is my belief that if they surround Darnold with some weapons.
He has a chance to still become a good quarterback.

I do not think any of the quarterbacks in that draft going to NY would have succeeded until the team improved overall.

I felt the same way about Darnold.. I don't know what the finished product will look like,, but I don't believe he is as bad as his record with the Jets.. Hopefully for him, he'll go to the Panthers and they'll put some things around him to help.

The Jets sure didn't
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/06/21 02:19 PM

Given the mess Adam Gase had going on there I honestly don't think anybody would have fared much better.

He is only 23. He now has some experience under his belt.

Actually I am surprised there was not more interest in him?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Trades - 04/06/21 03:08 PM
j/c

Darnold has been wildly over-rated since his awesome Freshman year...seems like a good guy (like Ogunjobi), but he's simply not very good.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/06/21 03:24 PM

I have no crystal ball.

But at 23 I do not think given the circumstances that it is fare to write him off.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Trades - 04/06/21 03:59 PM
Player development is key to success especially with a QB.

That said I think at 23 Darnold is a chance I would most certainly take. I think Gase was a horrible coach for a young QB, hell if I recall he said he thinks he ruined Darnold.

The Panthers were in no mans land for getting a blue chip QB this was a solid move by them. I think Darnold will be very motivated to prove the Jets made the wrong move.

If the Panthers are smart they get someone to work with Darnold who is well known that can get him moving in the right direction.

We are lucky I think we have 2 coaches that are great teachers and understand how to build up a QB and bring out the best in them. We see that with Bake and it truly is paying off.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Trades - 04/06/21 04:01 PM
No disagreement on that...I don't think he should have been drafted anywhere near as high as he was...that's not his fault.

A less clusterfart as his coach and he may be a viable NFL backup...I just don't think the guy has it.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/06/21 04:31 PM

That draft I did a deep dive with every qb prospect.

Darnold showed many talents. Especially the ability to make big plays while in motion.

In many ways he is similar to Ryan Tannehill. Tannehill was a converted TE. Both guys are very athletic.

Sam also had great leadership qualities. Hard worker. Well liked by teammates.

I am very glad the Steelers did not go after him.

We shall see what the future holds.

It is crazy how guys like Jameis, Goff, Mariotta, Rosen, Wentz, RGIII guys who cam into the league with lots of promise are tossed aside so quickly.

Many a GM has lost their jobs on picking QB's.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Trades - 04/06/21 04:37 PM
I think the most rational thing to say about the Darnold situation is that Adam Gase should not be responsible for the development of a QB. He is simply not effective.

Too many instances. I like Darnold. I hope he is treated better than he was in NY. I believe he would have done better with a different organization.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Trades - 04/06/21 04:48 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Not sure if you're arguing that it's his fault, but with the team that he had I think it's perfectly normal that he felt he had to put the team on his back.

Hero ball in the Super Bowl to win it all? Do what you can. There were several times where he hit his receivers dead in the hands and they didn't catch it. But it came off of forcing the throw into a difficult or ill advised situation.

Hero ball in the 4th game of the season against a team that just has a better matchup against you?... play for another day...

I don't think it's bad to force things. However it's situational.

Take Carson Wentz for example. [video:youtube]https://youtu.be/OD2qmLoMh4k?t=581[/video]
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/06/21 05:31 PM

Add Trubisky to that list.

Mind boggling that so much research goes into the evaluations and still so many never reach expectations.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 04/06/21 05:44 PM
I think it's very problematic based on the college game. Very few colleges run the pro style offense anymore. Many college defenses are also pretty basic.

That makes it very hard to project how a QB will transition to the NFL. It was already hard enough before because the pro game is so much faster it's always been hard to predict if a QB can speed up the time in which it takes him to process information and learn to read far more complicated defenses.

This only helped raise the difficulty factor.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/06/21 06:32 PM

That has to be part of it.

In addition I believe quarterbacks are overvalued because teams become desperate to fill that need.

I confess I only watch college when reviewing tape of prospects for the NFL.

One thing stands out. Open in college is way different than open in the NFL. Open in the NFL is considered covered in college.

The windows are way smaller. College ball they put up gaudy numbers. Quarterbacks come to the NFL and get run down by DE and LB's. A 260 pound guy ran a 4.38. That is sick.

Odell is fast and quick. And he is not the only receiver who is. Yet in routes open is a step.

I really believed in Mariota. He was big, smart, fast, and accurate. Teammates loved the guy. Yet in the NFL he has had minimal success.

Then you have a guy like Kurt Warner. Whose story is truly amazing.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 04/06/21 07:06 PM
A desperate need at the position is certainly another reason teams take chances on drafting QB's early in the draft. And the size of NFL windows is another good point.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Trades - 04/06/21 07:20 PM
I am surprised that Houston didn't trade for Darnold
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Trades - 04/06/21 07:25 PM

Mind boggling that so much research goes into the evaluations and still so many never reach expectations.

They need to spend more time evaluating the coach and his ability to bring a young guy along. That is the mistake IMO. Keep it simple stupid comes to mind.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/06/21 09:06 PM

The Jets are an example of what happens often.

High pick quarterbacks go to teams that are really bad.

Then they get pushed to start before they are ready. With little support and a overall poor roster. They lose.

Then their confidence gets worked over.

The process to get to the major leagues in baseball is way different.

Guys get drafted out of high school. Or, in Latin America they sign early and are brought along in camps.

Then they spend years in the minors being coached extensively. They face like type competition.

When called up they may have already had some short looks in spring or were called up in late fall.

They are well prepared before they play in the big leagues.

College football is the pipeline period. Now plenty of guys declare early.

Churn and burn in the NFL.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Trades - 04/07/21 02:34 AM
I am surprised that Houston didn't trade for Darnold

Why? they are going to be awful no matter who is at QB... why give up draft capital (which they don't have) when you're going to be in total rebuild mode... I think Texans should hope Watson gets suspended for only this season (or part of this season) and then they can try to put some pieces together in the next two years...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 04/07/21 09:15 AM
J/c

So it’s pretty apparent that QBs are going to go 1-3, right?

- JAX: Lawrence
- NYJ: Wilson
- SF: Fields/Lance/Jones

So the draft starts with ATL, who is probably fielding calls now
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Trades - 04/07/21 10:24 AM
I think all of the reasons you listed are absolutely true we had a very similar situation here as well when Bake arrived as you know as bad as the Jets were and are we were worse.

We made a great move by firing Freddie and bringing in KS, and KS bringing in AVP. They understand how to coach and develop a young QB. Early on KS went to Austin and spent time with Bake, and the rest is history. But KS had a plan to develop Bake in his system, and he used the running game especially early on to allow Bake time to develop in that system. When they hit the mid point of the season they evaluated what worked well and fit Bake the best.

I think coaches have to go very very slow with young QB's keep everything very simple allow the young QB time to gain confidence and slowly expand you're playbook. To much to fast and things go sideways. If the talent is there good coaches bring that talent out bad one's ask too much, to early and ruin the QB. Early on it's not so much about wining as it is building confidence.

Bake had the makeup and belief in himself that despite his struggles in 2019 he was able to put that behind himself and go forward. I think KS was a huge part of the reason that Bake did a 180 and improved so much in the second half of the season.

I forget what game it was but all of a sudden Bake was moving safeties with his eyes. I was like this kid is rounding into a solid QB because his coach is setting him up for that success.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/07/21 11:36 AM

Just imagine what may have happened "if" Dorsey and Freddie were not fired?

IMO Dorsey was a good evaluator of talent. Freddie proved that he was not head coach material.

Dorsey may have hired another coach and built the offense to aid in the development of Baker.

However, the combination of Berry and Stefanski. That was the real formula. Berry immediately went for the weapons and protection for Baker. Signed Conklin, Hooper and drafted Wills. Made sure Chubb and Hunt remained to provide a dynamic rushing attack.

KS tailored the offense to feature play action. Then as the season progressed he kept fine tuning what worked best for Baker.

That is how you develop a quarterback.

Baker has the tools. But he could have failed easily if he was not supported.

The marriage between head coach and qb is critical. So is the marriage between head coach and GM.

It has taken what seems like a lifetime. But the Browns finally have it right.

For the foreseeable future we as fans will be enjoying the golden era of the Browns.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trades - 04/07/21 12:25 PM
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Darnold has been wildly over-rated since his awesome Freshman year...seems like a good guy (like Ogunjobi), but he's simply not very good.

Maybe,, but think of this, Baker looked pretty bad in his second year. Then in comes Stefanski and Baker looks like the guy we hoped for all along.

I'm not standing up for Darnold, I just think if you are gonna grade him, the right grade is "incomplete"!
Posted By: eotab Re: Trades - 04/07/21 01:01 PM

Just for the record Nagy sucks as a coach I mean he is probably the least impressive coach I have seen and worse yet as a NFL QB guru.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/07/21 01:27 PM

That could be.

At best though Trubisky was inconsistent.

My point is about the process of picking and developing a quarterback.

The right combination of GM, HC, and surrounding talent has to be right or the chances of failure are greatly increased.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 04/07/21 02:39 PM
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Trades - 04/07/21 04:02 PM

The marriage between head coach and qb is critical. So is the marriage between head coach and GM.
Sooo, KS is a polygamist?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Trades - 04/07/21 04:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
j/c

Maybe,, but think of this, Baker looked pretty bad in his second year. Then in comes Stefanski and Baker looks like the guy we hoped for all along.

I'm not standing up for Darnold, I just think if you are gonna grade him, the right grade is "incomplete"!

That very-well could be the case...I simply don't think it is/was. To me, Darnold never got any better after his freshman year in college. I didn't ever see the arm "talent" or the accuracy that Baker showed consistently.

While Baker struggled in 2019 he was a stud in his rookie year...with both years being ridiculously dysfunctional - as they were for Darnold. I say that as praise for Baker and not an indictment of Darnold (for not being able to have any success is his own dysfunction.)

He seems like a good guy who is easy to root for (now that he is out of NY). I hope he turns it on/around in Carolina...I just don't think he will...not as a starter anyway. Two years in big-time college ball...regressing after year 1...3rd overall pick...I didn't - and don't - see it.

BTW, I don't consider myself good at evaluating football players...so there's always that.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/07/21 05:09 PM
Got me.

Maybe a threesome or something.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Trades - 04/07/21 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Sooo, KS is a polygamist?

It's called a throuple ... yucK!
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Trades - 04/08/21 09:49 AM
I think the Jets made a huge mistake letting Darnold go. First, there's only one Trevor Lawrence in this draft and the Jets are not getting him. All of the other QB's are rated significantly behind Lawrence thus present a much higher risk. Second, the Jets have a weak line, sub par wide outs, and only serviceable RB's at best. Drafting a QB at number 2 does nothing to address those issues. Now signing Davis and Cole at WR helps but still leaves questions about their #1 WR. Signing Coleman at RB is nothing more than an old 3rd down back. Three, drafting OT Becton in 2020 proved fruitful as he graded out to a 74.4. By comparison, Wills rated at 61.5 for Cleveland. However, one good OL does not make a good line as evident of the Jets 29th rated offensive line.

The Jets had the opportunity to draft OT Sewell at the #2 slot giving them bookend tackles for years to come. With the picks they possessed, the Jets could have addressed OG, RB, and WR still this year giving Darnold the line and weapons needed to compete. Add into the fact that this would be year 3 for Darnold and the growing pains should be significantly less than that of a rookie at the position with no line or weapons.

Finally and most importantly, if Darnold falters with the offensive improvements made, the Jets have 2 more 1st round and 2 second round picks in 2022. They also are unaware of what veteran QB's that will be available next off season. Bottom line is the Jets had a golden opportunity to address the line and weapon issue which every QB needs to be successful which Darnold has not experienced at all while in NY.

You have to question the FO mindset to be considering drafting another rookie QB when you have done nothing so far to address an offensive line that was rated 29th during the past season. I don't care who they draft - they are in for a very long season (mostly on their backs) playing for a team that has put nothing in the improvement of an already poor line. God Help whoever they select.........
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 04/08/21 10:11 AM
Only time will tell, but I agree. Darnold didn't have a real good chance in NY I think a change will do him well.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Trades - 04/08/21 11:09 AM
j/c

That very-well could be the case...I simply don't think it is/was. To me, Darnold never got any better after his freshman year in college. I didn't ever see the arm "talent" or the accuracy that Baker showed consistently.

While Baker struggled in 2019 he was a stud in his rookie year...with both years being ridiculously dysfunctional - as they were for Darnold. I say that as praise for Baker and not an indictment of Darnold (for not being able to have any success is his own dysfunction.)

He seems like a good guy who is easy to root for (now that he is out of NY). I hope he turns it on/around in Carolina...I just don't think he will...not as a starter anyway. Two years in big-time college ball...regressing after year 1...3rd overall pick...I didn't - and don't - see it.

BTW, I don't consider myself good at evaluating football players...so there's always that.

So now our favorite sports reporter, Tony Grossi, comes out with a tweet asking if Baker Mayfield could have survived had he been drafted by NY Jets instead of by Cleveland...what a bonehead. Baker survived the MOST dysfunctional franchise in NFL history! Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens? Anyway, good luck Sam.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 04/08/21 11:42 AM

I agree with all you stated.

With Adam Gase and that roster no qb would have had a chance.

However, there are economics to consider. They will draft Wilson and have him under a rookie deal. They would have had to make a decision with Darnold about his contract.

They have picks and are better prepared to build around a new quarterback. And then there is the head coach. Saleh has to be a upgrade over Gase.

Lastly there is Zach Wilson. How will he turn out?

I really like him. He has many traits that make for a good quarterback. Every thing he does. He does quickly. He fits the popular phrase "twitchy."

He has quick feet. He can set up fast. Move and reset quickly. His arm is good. But what I really like is his release. Very fast. Ball jumps out of his hands.

The NFL is a faster game than college. And Wilson has that quickness in his game. He has that ability to throw accurately off platform. Not many can do that. Rodgers and Mahomes are the prototype. Wilson can do it as well. He moves well and can throw well in motion.

I understand the move. May not agree. But in the end. It is all about Wilson. If he turns out. It is a good move. If not. Heads will roll.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Trades - 04/08/21 11:56 AM
Chuma Edoga, the Jets other OT, had basically the same PFF grade as Wills (61.3) and they drafted Cameron Clark last year as well. McGovern is solid at center. Alex Lewis was also solid at 1 guard spot (66.6 per PFF.) They'll still have 8 other picks this year after taking Wilson including pick 23 and an extra 3rd rounder. They should be able to find a decent guard somewhere in there.

Darnold was going into year 4 rather than year 3 (Same as Baker), so they had to make a decision on his 5th year option (guaranteeing ~18.8M) where he wouldn't be cheap any more. Darnold was last in the league in a bunch of passing categories (and PFF's worst passing grade of qualifying QBs since 2018.) Could he turn it around? Maybe, but there's no guarantee, and, if he did, they'd have to start paying him veteran starting QB money. Wilson is a good QB prospect and restarts the rookie QB contract clock. It's hard to pass on a top QB prospect when you have a chance to draft one, especially when the alternative is sticking with a guy who hasn't been good through 3 seasons.

They got 3 picks for Darnold including a future 2 which will help them build around the new QB. That's hard to turn down when Darnold looks like damaged goods (the mic has caught him saying that he's seeing ghosts) and they have a potential franchise QB staring them in the face. Starting fresh is probably best for everyone involved.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 04/08/21 12:00 PM
Their biggest problem (before Oline) was actually Gase. New guy will still be better off than Darnold. As you mentioned, they have Becton so they have the beginnings of at least a competent Oline. They could be taking the strategy of seeing what they have at QB and then dumping a bunch of money into the Oline next offseason.

Not how I would do it, but it's something.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 04/28/21 05:50 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Trades - 04/28/21 06:04 PM

Broncos can't believe Lock and Bridgewater will take them anywhere, I still see them drafting a QB .... JMO
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Trades - 04/28/21 06:58 PM
Surprised they didn't trade for Tyrod Taylor.

Teddy's never mentored a rookie before.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 04/28/21 07:45 PM
I understand you point and certainly agree with you. I do see another side of this as well. When you draft a rookie it may be a while before he is ready to start. A good HC isn't going to rush a rookie QB and chance in regressing his development.

I can see a scenario by which they certainly see Bridgewater as a better option to win some games while preparing the rookie over Drew Lock and that was their main goal in this.

Not saying that's the case but I do think it's a possibility. Upgrading depth at the QB position.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Trades - 04/28/21 08:56 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
... I still see them drafting a QB .... JMO

Sorry to disagree with you, Pastor, but I don't see that happening. Something about 'three's a crowd'...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Trades - 04/28/21 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
... I still see them drafting a QB .... JMO

Sorry to disagree with you, Pastor, but I don't see that happening. Something about 'three's a crowd'...

You could be right, I don't think they want anymore to do with Lock and will try to trade him ...
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Trades - 04/28/21 10:28 PM
Bridgewater is a good fit for Denver.
They won a playoff game with what's his name, Tim Tebow.

Bridgewaters' game is probably more well rounded than Tebows' was.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Trades - 04/28/21 11:48 PM
How about these Quarterbacks for the Browns.
Heres the thing, wiki site lists qb's and games they started in a year, so I spent 5 minutes sorting them most to least, and, Duh! scroll down
and it's got different numbers for how many games a qb started, next to their name.
Anyway I'm looking to take the best names off and make a poll on the best 4, of the bad ones.

But I'm using My numbers for starts because I spent 10 minutes adding and sorting them.
Before the hiaitis, and only going back so far

Brian Sipe 109 starts
Bernie Kosar 96
Vinny Testaverde 31 starts
Paul Mcdonald, 21
Mike Tomczak 8 starts

------ Then the hiatis from 1996-1998-----

Tim Couch 59 starts
Baker Mayfield 45
Derek Anderson 31 starts
Colt McCoy 21
Brandon Weeden 20 starts
Charlie Frye 19
Brian Hoyer 16 starts
Deshone Kizer 15
Brady Quinn 12 starts
Josh McCown 11
Jeff Garcia 11
Trent Dilfer 10 starts
Kelly Holcob 10 starts
Cody Kessler 8, Johnny Manziel 8 and Jason Campbell had 8 starts,+ Doug Pederson 8

Senneca Wallace 7, RG III 5, Tyrod Taylor 3.

Of the ones from 1999 to recently, pick any 5, must pick 5.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 04/30/21 12:29 AM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 05/24/21 04:30 PM
Hot take:

Trade OBJ for whatever

Trade for Julio Jones
Posted By: Dave Re: Trades - 05/24/21 04:48 PM

Offer them a 2nd round pick and Beckham.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 05/24/21 06:02 PM
That wouldn’t help their cap much.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 05/24/21 06:57 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 05/24/21 07:21 PM
Might sprinkle a little on San Fran.

Releasing Travis Benjamin will free up an additional $1.075M in cap space!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Trades - 05/24/21 07:26 PM
OBJ won't be going anywhere in 21
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 05/24/21 07:28 PM
1. I would choose Baltimore over SF with the same odds.
2. Does the (A) for Los Angeles mean the city's A-team? tongue
Posted By: jfanent Re: Trades - 05/24/21 08:53 PM
Might sprinkle a little on San Fran.

Releasing Travis Benjamin will free up an additional $1.075M in cap space!

I'll never forget this Travis Benjamin moment:

Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Trades - 05/25/21 12:14 AM
Little skin in the game. LOL nanner brownie
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trades - 05/25/21 01:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave

Offer them a 2nd round pick and Beckham.

Maybe KhaDarel Hodge and a second.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Trades - 05/25/21 02:44 AM
if we can't financially afford Richardson, we certainly can't afford a broken Julio Jones.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 05/25/21 03:34 AM
We have no need for him.

We're past the point of chasing shiny objects
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Trades - 05/25/21 04:10 AM
Yeah, I’m thinking we don’t need him cuz we have a good WR already, don’t want to afford him and so.... no thank you.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 05/25/21 10:36 AM
We have no need for him.

I agree. At some point you can have too much. It's like some women and make-up. You can have just the right amount. Keep adding and you end up looking like Mimi.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trades - 05/25/21 12:16 PM
We have no need for him.

I don't want to short change the guy, he's still a talent no doubt. But like you say, we don't need him.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Trades - 05/25/21 01:02 PM
OBJ won't be going anywhere in 21

Hope not. OBJ is one of our keys, if not THE key, to success. I'm trading Jarvis before I trade OBJ. Julio and OBJ.... we would be unstoppable. One can dream.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 05/25/21 02:52 PM

I am happy with our receiver group.

Julio is a great receiver. I do not question that. He is also 32 years old and making $22m.

On top of paying him. We would have to give up high draft picks.

I don't see the fit for Julio in Cleveland.

Jarvis produces. Plus he is a huge factor in the locker room. He brings leadership.

OBJ has the talent. He has to stay on the field. Higgins just produces and does it at low cost.

DPJ could be coal turning to diamond.

Schwartz is speed plus. He is in right place to reach his potential.

We also have Hodge and Willies guys who have potential.

We don't need Julio. We need the money and draft assets.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trades - 05/25/21 04:07 PM
I would consider trading OBJ for Julio and a 2nd, definitely do it for Julio and a 1st.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Trades - 05/25/21 04:10 PM

Brady and Gronk tossed a shiny object between two boats last year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 05/25/21 04:17 PM

Why?

Why take on that salary and give up a first?

We have plenty of options on offense.

We run a lot. We have TE depth with players who catch passes. We throw to running backs.

I just do not see the need.

For some teams he would fit. Not us.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 05/25/21 04:19 PM
Originally Posted By: Jester
I would consider trading OBJ for Julio and a 2nd, definitely do it for Julio and a 1st.

So would most. The problem is Atlanta is looking for picks, not swapping receivers and giving up a pick.
Posted By: eotab Re: Trades - 05/25/21 04:35 PM
Don't get distracted...we are not a passing team we are a Running team that can pass. We don't need to get another WR that would put pressure on Stefanski to pass more.
Running is our key not OBJ
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 05/25/21 04:38 PM
I agree. I see a lot more downside with trading for Julio Jones than I do upside. Very little value if any in making the trade.

He's 32 and that left hamstring of his is one quick burst away from exploding.

The Browns would be stuck with his contract for this season and next before it made sense to release him. He'll make $23M this year and $19M in 2022. Whereas, the Browns can deep six OBJ after this season and save $15M if things do not work out. OBJ is also 4 years younger than Julio Jones. All this, let alone giving up a 1st or 2nd for him as part of the deal.

This is not the type of move I see Berry making.

Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Trades - 05/25/21 04:40 PM
Browns WR room is fine. ehh--

Browns Wr room is not suffering from a lack of Julio Jones problem.

Browns Wrs may be suffereing from a, not admitting Schwartz was a bad decision needs to be moved on from and reversed as soon as possible,
and all the time it takes to eventually realize this is time he keeps a real WR out of the lineup problem

and they have too much pride to show backtracking from a 3rd round pick, yet the end result is the whole group is worse, until then,

But that may be still 50/50. 50/50 that's not the case, 50/50 it is. frown
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 05/25/21 05:09 PM

So would most. The problem is Atlanta is looking for picks, not swapping receivers and giving up a pick.

And Julio Jones is way better than OBJ at this point.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 05/25/21 05:15 PM

The first and second round were spent on defense. Which was a need.

Look into third round picks.

There is no reverse. The pick was made for a number of reasons which apparently you don't get.

Berry saw what he wanted in Schwartz. A guy who could threaten with vertical routes. A guy who who could be used in jet sweeps. Someone who will open the rest of the field.

Third round picks are guys they look to develop.

That has nothing to do with the rest of the receivers????
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Trades - 05/25/21 05:16 PM
Quote:
not admitting Schwartz was a bad decision needs to be moved on from and reversed as soon as possible,
and all the time it takes to eventually realize this is time he keeps a real WR out of the lineup problem

Is that your opinion or Ms Cleo's?
Posted By: Jester Re: Trades - 05/25/21 05:17 PM

Why?

Why take on that salary and give up a first?

Re-read what I wrote. I wouldn't be giving up OBJ and a pick. I would be getting Julio and a pick. I would not trade OBJ for Julio straight up. Talent wise I think they are fairly equivalent and both miss a fair number of games due to injury. The only substantial fiffernce is their salaries. Julio gets paid more. For me to take on the difference in salary I would need Atlanta to throw in a pick. At minimum it would take a 2nd. I think Atlanta will be picking top 10 next year. If they were willing to give up their 1st rounder I would have a hard time passing on that deal.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 05/25/21 05:38 PM

The Falcons want picks.

You can offer all day long.

They are doing this to get picks and trim money
Posted By: Jester Re: Trades - 05/25/21 06:05 PM
I never said they would do it. I would demand picks to take on his salary if we are giving them OBJ.

If we aren't giving them OBJ then I see no reason to add Julio to this team
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Trades - 05/25/21 06:17 PM
I would just want Julio off my team and out of my locker room. Just might want too much for the Falcons. I don't want him polluting us.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 05/25/21 07:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
I would just want Julio off my team and out of my locker room. Just might want too much for the Falcons. I don't want him polluting us.

Julio Jones has been zero drama his entire career until he requested a trade from a team that wants to trade him this off-season.

Realistically I know there is no way we trade for him. But in a world where we can just swap talents at this point in their careers I’m taking Jones ten out of ten times over OBJ.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 05/26/21 01:00 AM
All of this OBJ stuff is crazy talk.

The guy is only 28 and is elite. Aside from the part where he is effectively untradeable right now for a number of reasons, it would be FOOLISH to trade him, especially for a WR that is four years older and will be beginning that downhill slide sooner than later.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Trades - 05/26/21 02:29 AM

No way

And Julio Jones is way better than OBJ at this point.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Trades - 05/26/21 02:46 AM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Don't get distracted...we are not a passing team we are a Running team that can pass. We don't need to get another WR that would put pressure on Stefanski to pass more.

100% don't agree with you here. I wouldn't say we are a running team or a passing team. We are what is dictated.

I don't believe there is any pressure on Stefanski to throw the ball. The issue we had last season is we lacked that deep threat. We did an amazing job in the KC game and why Baker is an elite passer in this league, but if we have that deep threat it is a game changer.

OBJ and Jones would be elite. OBJ or Jones and Jarvis doesn't offer that same kind of eliteness. I also don't buy that Jarvis is this great leader. I would love to see what Baker would do with a big target like Julio. I would offer Landry and offer Hooper back to them as well as throw in a 2nd. Julio is that good. But Atlanta wouldn't do it.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Trades - 05/26/21 02:48 AM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg

Jarvis is far more of a pollutant than Jones would be.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 05/26/21 02:58 AM
All of this OBJ stuff is crazy talk.

The guy is only 28 and is elite. Aside from the part where he is effectively untradeable right now for a number of reasons, it would be FOOLISH to trade him, especially for a WR that is four years older and will be beginning that downhill slide sooner than later.

He’s also coming off a torn ACL. I love having OBJ on the team. Trading for Julio Jones is not realistic. Jones is objectively better than OBJ. That doesn’t mean OBJ is bad.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Trades - 05/26/21 04:35 AM
The biggest thing with OBJ is if he can STAY healthy.

Dude looks good. you can see him practice. He plants and breaks just as good as he did before the injury.

He's a dude who has been plagued with injuries. He needs to do what he can to protect himself and make it through a season without getting banged up.

I don't get the hate behind schwartz. The kid catches the ball away from his body. Has soft hands... and is a burner. He'll only improve with vice grips on the team.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Trades - 05/26/21 10:07 AM
Obviously, I don't believe either will be traded at this time. Landry is the more logical choice, however. And I believe "vice grips" has proven he's far from having "vice grips." If we don't make a move at WR the teams hopes and dreams rest in whomever can become that deep threat for Baker. If we are relying on Schwartz we might be in trouble. And I agree, a healthy OBJ is key. If he's injured again we could also be in trouble. However, I fully expect him to win comeback player of the year.... We have one of the best deep ball passers in the league, don't waste it.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 05/26/21 11:35 AM
j/c:

Like most said, it doesn't seem realistic to be trading for Jones. Besides trading their injured WR for our injured WR could be a net zero move so I don't get it for either team.

Atlanta will be going through a rebuild. They don't want OBJ. They want picks, younger players, etc. Those are assets I don't want to be giving up.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 05/26/21 11:44 AM

Julio is a great player.

But I see no way that the Browns are going to pay him $22m.

There are only so many offensive plays in a game. The Browns have plenty of guys who should get touches.

The Browns offensively are not a problem.

They will need to spread the money all over the roster in the future.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trades - 05/26/21 12:56 PM
Just clicking..

Have the Browns made any comment about Julio Jones? I mean I don't remember them saying anything..

All this speculation about trading for Jones is fueled by reporters that have nothing else to talk about so they just make stuff up.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Trades - 05/26/21 02:09 PM
Aaron Rodgers for Julio Jones and Matt Ryan- Just throwing it out there. It would probably require some financial wizardry, but it could make sense as far as on the field and "appeasing"/getting rid of guys that seem to want out.
Posted By: eotab Re: Trades - 05/26/21 02:41 PM
Right now with both julio and OBJ back to health...I would take OBJ over Julio. The our offense is built is powerful low to the ground quick football. Short striders is our match. OBJ knows our offense and has some good reps history with Baker.

jmho Our miss matches with size will be done with our TEs.

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 05/26/21 03:34 PM
Just clicking..

Have the Browns made any comment about Julio Jones? I mean I don't remember them saying anything..

All this speculation about trading for Jones is fueled by reporters that have nothing else to talk about so they just make stuff up.

I agree.

The team probably wouldn't say anything about a player even if they were seriously considering him in trade, but this is just balderdash.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 05/26/21 03:43 PM
Originally Posted By: devicedawg

100% don't agree with you here. I wouldn't say we are a running team or a passing team. We are what is dictated.

I don't believe there is any pressure on Stefanski to throw the ball.

I agree with you here 100%.

In 2020 the Browns had 501 passing attempts and 495 rushing attempts. That's as balanced as an NFL offense can get. That doesn't scream passing or running offense. I said that's how it would play out before last season began when most said we would be a running team and even after the evidence is obvious people are repeating the same thing going into this season. In several games we were playing with the lead in the second half which would actually give the advantage into thinking we would have rushed more than we passed.

We are a team built to do both which gives you the opportunity to take advantage of mismatches and your opponents weaknesses on the field whether they are in the oppositions passing game or running game. Our game plan has fluctuated predicated on this.

Many teams do not have such a luxury. As such they are forced to "build an identity" based on their strong suit because they lack an overall balance on offense. To me the term "build an identity" is just a favorable way of saying "We only do one thing well so we are going to focus on that."

Luckily we don't have to do that.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Trades - 05/26/21 03:50 PM
Aaron Rodgers for Julio Jones and Matt Ryan- Just throwing it out there. It would probably require some financial wizardry, but it could make sense as far as on the field and "appeasing"/getting rid of guys that seem to want out.

"Hey Aaron, we're finally getting that other elite reciever you wanted. Too bad you won't be here to enjoy him" grin
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 05/26/21 04:03 PM
I agree and disagree. I think it depends on the situation. If you're just seriously wishing to unload a player I think it's in your favor to leak that you're looking to trade him. It will bring in a lot of offers. If nothing else, just contacting a lot of teams would increase the odds of a leak. The more people who know the greater the odds are someone opens their mouth.

Now as it pertains to trading one of your players only if the proper opportunity presents itself, I agree with you. In that situation you don't want the word getting out. That opportunity may not come along and for the sake of keeping that player dedicated and focused, you wouldn't want him to know that he's being considered for a trade.

When and if that opportunity does present itself, then and only then would you contact a single team and explore the possibilities.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 05/26/21 07:31 PM
When I said "considering him in trade" that connotates a player on another team we might want to bring in.

If we are after a player, we don't say much about that. Sometimes it leaks, usually by a player agent that several teams are in the running, but I don't think we let that slip.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trades - 05/27/21 12:47 PM

That won't help Atlantas CAP hell...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 05/27/21 01:33 PM
Really? Based on what?

How is jarvis a problem?
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Trades - 05/27/21 07:10 PM
I'm referencing that Landry was a much much bigger risk than taking on Julio Jones. Landry was a problem in Miami.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trades - 05/27/21 07:30 PM
Consider his coach...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 05/27/21 08:02 PM

As much as any player the Browns have. Jarvis has been a leader of the culture change in Cleveland.

He produced in Miami. I can not speak to his time there. I can only go by his time here.
Posted By: eotab Re: Trades - 05/28/21 02:08 PM
I'm referencing that Landry was a much much bigger risk than taking on Julio Jones. Landry was a problem in Miami.

Landry was available to us which not many players were at the time...remember we were a winless team or 1 win team at the time. Nobody was wanting to come here. Now everybody is wanting to join our SB party!

jmho
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 05/28/21 03:05 PM

Landry was available to us which not many players were at the time...remember we were a winless team or 1 win team at the time. Nobody was wanting to come here. Now everybody is wanting to join our SB party!

jmho

Time out. We have some winning to do before that.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trades - 05/28/21 04:04 PM

jmho

Time out. We have some winning to do before that.

True, but you cannot ignore the fact that players around the league see the upward trajectory as a compelling reason to join the team. They're coming here with championship aspirations because they believe we can reach that goal.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Trades - 05/28/21 10:53 PM
Who,exactly,are these players that have signed here for less money to chase a ring.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trades - 05/29/21 12:21 AM
John Johnson III signed with us when he was supposedly offered more.
Karim Hunt signed a new contract when he probably could have gotten more if he had hit the FA market
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Trades - 05/30/21 10:58 PM

jmho

Not denying that. Everyone will have their own takes. The Dorsey tenure set us back a year but I think we are poised to win right now.
Posted By: devicedawg Re: Trades - 05/30/21 10:59 PM
John Johnson III signed with us when he was supposedly offered more.
Karim Hunt signed a new contract when he probably could have gotten more if he had hit the FA market

Hollywood.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 06/01/21 05:23 PM
j/c:

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Trades - 06/01/21 06:04 PM
rumors around Watson trade heating up with Rodgers
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Trades - 06/01/21 07:00 PM
rumors around Watson trade heating up with Rodgers

Why would anyone do anything except a "flyer" type trade for Watson right now? He's a top flight QB, but he could also be heading off to prison next year.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 06/06/21 04:31 PM
j/c...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 06/06/21 04:45 PM
This is a pretty big deal. It could change the Titans whole offense and the AFC South.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 06/06/21 07:38 PM
j/c

Titans agree to terms to acquire All-Pro WR Julio Jones via trade

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — The Tennessee Titans agreed to terms with the Atlanta Falcons to trade for superstar wide receiver Julio Jones on Sunday.

In exchange for Jones, the Titans will send Atlanta a 2022 second-round draft pick and a 2023 fourth-round draft pick. The Falcons will send along with Jones, a 2023 sixth-round pick to the Titans.

Several Titans players expressed their interest in the All-Pro wideout via social media in attempt to win the Julio Jones sweepstakes after it was made public that Jones requested a trade from the Falcons.

Jones will join an already loaded Titans offense which includes the reigning offensive player of the year and 2,000 plus yard running back Derrick Henry along with ascending star wide receiver AJ Brown.

While Titans fans have a lot to be excited about in gaining a future hall-of-famer who has several great years left in him, he'll come with a steep price tag of $15.3 million.

The Titans will likely need to move some players and money around since they currently have just under $4 million in cap space, but with a player this special it will be well worth it.

https://www.newschannel5.com/sports/tita...ones-in-a-trade
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 06/06/21 07:45 PM
Not as expensive as rumored. Good deal for the Titans.

It is easier to root for the Falcons over the Titans due to conference affiliations, but I kind of, sort of root for both due to geographic location. Both teams games on on locally, so I catch a lot of both on TV.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 06/07/21 03:45 PM
As you would expect, I get bombarded with Titan information. It's actually rather hard to avoid if you watch local news here.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 07/26/21 12:05 AM

Second round pick. Deal? Deal. Send it in!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 07/26/21 11:53 AM
j/c:

Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Trades - 07/26/21 12:49 PM
I haven't heard much on massage-gate lately. Wonder how that still might affect things.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 07/26/21 01:33 PM
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I haven't heard much on massage-gate lately. Wonder how that still might affect things.

Eh, I'm sure it'll have a happy ending for all
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Trades - 07/26/21 09:50 PM
I see no way a team will mortgage their future on a guy who may be sitting in prison soon.

Watson isn't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Trades - 07/28/21 01:01 AM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 07/28/21 01:40 AM
I hope he stays out of the AFCN, because he isn't coming here.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 07/28/21 10:17 AM
Xavier Howard is a very good player. Let’s hope he goes to Philly or NYG
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Trades - 07/28/21 11:52 AM
My interest in Trades in general is on who the Browns might be willing to trade as we try to pair down the roster to just 53.

I have no fear of one guy from outside the conference coming in and slowing us down or improving someone else's roster to the point they will overtake us.

We are headed to the promised land and of course we have to stay relatively healthy as we navigate thru the season. Beyond that I am sorta looking at who we might trade and what we may get in terms of future picks as I don't see us being in a situation where we are making trades to improve I see that part as having been done, so for now I see us trying to deal some of the players that we have that would improve someone else's roster while banking a few picks for future use.

At this point I think this roster is pretty set along with depth. Some talking heads have us letting some pretty good talent go especially at WR. Depending on if we keep 5-6 WR. I believe we will keep 6, I also believe that OBJ and possibly Landry may be playing their last seasons in Cleveland. But will see.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 07/28/21 12:45 PM

We are in lock step.

That is exactly how I see it.

This roster is a hard roster to make. A number of good players will not make this team.

Some of them we may be able to leverage into future draft picks.

These may not be big moves but we may be able to land a few future mid round picks.

An example might be someone like Billings. He opted out. He could be a starter. At the same time he might get beat out.
If some of these guys like Togiai, Wilson, or McDowell have a huge Camp.

Another could be at linebacker. We signed Malcolm Smith to a one year deal. Walker most likely is a starter. JOK will play. If Mack, Taki and Phillips look great at Camp. Malcolm Smith could be traded. He is still a good player or we would not have brought him back.

So yes to trades that can bring future picks.

We will not go after Xzavier Howard unless we got him in a steal. Even if we traded Greedy and future picks we would have to pay him way more than we can afford. Given the guys we are trying to extend.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 07/28/21 01:37 PM

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 07/28/21 01:58 PM
IMO, that's a huge win for Cobb. Gets him out of Houston. I'm going to assume GB also came out a winner in terms of the 2 transactions.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 07/28/21 03:45 PM
I'm not so sure about Green bay coming out the winner here. We all know that they had to make concessions for Rogers to agree to stay and play. While it's certainly conjecture on my part, I'm guessing getting him a WR was a part of those concessions. When a team gets cornered into making a move to get a player, that's certainly not negotiating from a position of strength.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 07/28/21 04:46 PM
Maybe. I didn't really think of that. I was just considering what a mess Houston is right now and assumed there are deals to be had by dealing with them this off-season.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 07/28/21 05:02 PM
I simply saw an article where Cobb was saying he was going to be traded right after Rogers agreed to the deal. It was as if He and Rogers had been talking. That's what led to to see it as a strong possibility. I'd like to take credit for thinking of it myself but that isn't the case. wink
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 07/29/21 07:35 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 08/04/21 10:08 AM
J/c

I was reading this morning that Carolina is strongly looking at the Watson situation. It’ll be interesting to see if anybody is willing to give up THAT much for such an unknown
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 08/12/21 11:31 PM

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 08/13/21 03:24 AM
Pretty weird.

I always liked Schobert. I will now enjoy Nick Chubb running right past him and David Njoku burning him over the middle.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 08/13/21 03:30 AM
The Steelers got worse today. Wonderful news!
Posted By: eotab Re: Trades - 08/13/21 05:40 AM
why am I not allowed to speculate. It's preseason for crying out loud tongue . Outdo we
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 08/13/21 10:29 AM
They don’t trust Spillane … but Joe isn’t much better
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Trades - 08/13/21 10:46 AM

The Steelers know what they are doing, thinking they don't is a mistake IMO.

They have a need and Joe fills that need for them. He is and was for us an OK player.

I thought the Browns made the right move letting him go, time will see if I am right. I agree if your saying he is a middle of the road type player, that should be paid along those same lines. It took Jacksonville one season with Joe to realize they had vastly overpaid.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 08/13/21 11:37 AM

I'm not so sure about this.

For decades, the Steelers' ability to identify talent to fit their scheme (either in the draft or current NFL players) at the linebacker position has been nearly flawless. Hell, I think they made L.J. Fort a meaningful member of the LB corp.

I think Schobert had a subpar year in JAX but I think his larger sample size when in Cleveland was the determining factor for them. What Joe lacks in sideline-to-sideline speed he makes up with instincts and his cerebral approach to the position.

I don't look at this as a negative for the Steelers. I see it as an upgrade for them, and a negative for us.

So, I'm guessing Week 1 the starting four could be:

T.J. Watt- Devin Bush- Joe Schobert- Melvin Ingram
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trades - 08/13/21 12:42 PM
Kind of meh on Schobert to the Steelers; liked him here but probably overrated him myself. I don't think the Steelers LOSE anything by signing him, and he is probably an improvement. At the same time however, he doesn't scare me one iota.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Trades - 08/13/21 12:50 PM
I will go with Milk Man. Joe is gone and now, he's just another guy to beat. Journeyman, but not an overwhelming threat IMO. Not a huge upgrade compared to where our D should shake out.

I liked him here, but not all that much. I give the Stoolies credit for their system and process; I do believe he will improve there over where he was here. Two previous teams got it right.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Trades - 08/13/21 12:59 PM

Not wise to underestimate a team that always seems to find a way to get to the playoffs.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 08/13/21 01:04 PM
I'm not too familiar with Steeler's roster, so I guess it really depends on what they were looking for. If Joe is supposed to be the savior of the middle of their D, then yeah... they're in big trouble.

If they're looking for another guy to plug in, push some 'also-rans' down or even off the roster... then they could do WAY worse than Joe. Hell, they're getting quite a bit of mileage out of a 'used up' Haden.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Trades - 08/13/21 03:14 PM
I liked Schobert, and he made a lot of plays for us.

We often talk about how the constantly changing coaches hurt QBs, receivers, and so forth, but Schobert played for 3 different DC's while he was here. (Horton, Williams, and Wilks)

In his 3 years as a starter, he recorded 380 tackles, 14 TFL, 8 sacks, 16 QB hits, 6 INT, 7 forced fumbles, and 3 recovered. He could have been better at shedding blocks, but he was a reliable tackler. Unfortunately, I think he's a good pickup for the Steelers. On a really bad Jags team, last year, he had 141 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 6 QB hits, 3 INT, (1 for a TD, a rarity in Jax last year) 2 FF, and 6 TFL. I don't look forward to seeing him on a good Steelers defense.

He was likely let go by the Jags for the same reason a lot of veterans are after a regime change. The new guys want their guys.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 08/13/21 03:35 PM
I think it boils down to the FO refusing to pay top-end $$ for middle-tier talent. I see it as staying disciplined with your spending. Schobert would've definitely helped our D last year, but the FO just wasn't going to spend the money required to keep him here. I can understand the reasoning.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 08/13/21 04:03 PM
Quote:
Schobert would've definitely helped our D last year, but the FO just wasn't going to spend the money required to keep him here. I can understand the reasoning.

Agreed. Once the new FO took over and free agency was several weeks away there was very little reason for Schobert and his team to not test the FA market, which general overpays early for players. He wasn't even approached the season before about an extension. I'm guessing, if he was, he would have signed for far less than what JAX paid for him.

Best case scenario.....get those talks going early and you probably won't drastically overpay for a player if he has been with the team for awhile.

See Nick Chubb.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 08/13/21 04:14 PM

Not wise to underestimate a team that always seems to find a way to get to the playoffs.

Pssst, I don't play in the games. My estimation of a team will not impact the outcome.

Schoebert had one outlier year in 2018. Otherwise, he's been unremarkable.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/13/21 05:45 PM
But isn't that how the NFL works? How many actual "remarkable players" does any team have on their roster? The majority of NFL rosters are comprised of journeymen and middle of the road players. Now please don't get that confused, they aren't middle of the road compared to those who can't make it in the league but compared to those "remarkable players" they certainly look that way on film.

So since the majority of your roster is comprised of such journeyman players, the key to improvement is to upgrade anywhere you can any time you can at any and every position. The Steelers, much to my disgust, is a very sound organization. I don't see them just going out and acquiring Schobert if he wasn't an upgrade to their LB unit.
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Trades - 08/13/21 06:24 PM
Not sure of the financials, however it doesnt look like a bad move for the steelers. The draft pick wont matter as this is a salary dump and he might only be in Pitt for a year. Joe flashed for us on some plays but he seemed to miss a LOT more. I am not really concerned with him joining the Steelers that they just got better, he is the same guy as we had and Pitt ran all over us with him at LB playing for us.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Trades - 08/13/21 08:01 PM
I liked Schobert too.

He will help Pittsburgh.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 08/13/21 08:21 PM
Joe Schobert seems like a really nice guy. Not concerned about him going to the Steelers.

The Steelers once traded the Browns a 6th round pick for Justin Gilbert. They're not infallible.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 08/13/21 08:49 PM
They just drafted a running back in the first round to cure their running game when their offensive line was terrible.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Trades - 08/14/21 10:11 PM
I luvluvluv Shobert going to Pittsburgh...still not as much as I luv Haden's cinder-block contract around their necks...but it's close.

I actually like Shobert...unlike Haden. But he couldn't plug the middle closer than 5 yards downfield and he couldn't cover a dead tight end with a body bag.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 08/24/21 12:27 PM

After the game Sunday against the Falcons I think we could see some trades.

The trades could be for draft picks or players.

It is hard to say how comfortable Berry and Kevin are with the DT group?

We have players that other teams will be inquiring about. Offensive line and receiver are areas of depth.

Hubbard is well liked and versitile. However, he is getting paid a lot and we have young guys who may be able to replace him.

Donovan has had a breakout camp. Schwartz will make the team. Davion Davis has made the most of every opportunity.
Hodge has been on this team and they know him well. He is a good special teams guy and has made plays.

So, where does does leave Higgins? Higgins as been hot and cold. He gets lost at times and then makes plays. He could draw interest. Baker of course trusts him.

Jarvis, Odell, DPJ, Schwartz are quaranteed.
Higgins, Hodge should make it.

JoJo Natson will be cut. JaMarcus Bradley will be cut.

If someone makes a good offer for Higgins and they like Davis? The same goes for Hodge.

You never know because you don't know what teams will offer.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 08/24/21 01:16 PM
The biggest issue (at least in past seasons) for Higgins is that he does not play special teams. Someone like Hodge does. For me, that doesn't make a difference as Higgins is a far superior player, however, with the emergence of DPJ, and Schwartz being drafted, there are tough decisions to make....across the board, not just at the WR spot.

I think this team might hold on to an extra WR on the roster to start the season.

1. Because OBJ has been injured the last four years and Landry and been banged up as well.
2. There will be decisions made on the above two players in the offseason. Losing some of the younger WRs now seems like a lost opportunity if one, or both, will be replaced in 2022.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 08/24/21 01:44 PM
Odell has not played in full team drills.

He has a injury history.

Higgins was shelved by Freddie. He sat under KS until injury opened the door. DPJ has better skills.

Hard to say how the coaches view this group.

Hubbard IMO is vulnerable.

Berry will look under every rock to find any improvement.

Hard to make any predictions other than the time is coming when that sort of thing happens.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/24/21 04:13 PM
I do not see Hubbard vulnerable in any way. Coming back from his injury certainly made him questionable. But now that he's back from injury and playing?

I don't see it. Sure, we have "guys" that may be able to step up in a back up role besides Hubbard. But Hubbard has so much experience as a stater. Experience playing at both the RT and G positions. He could fill in at a moments notice at both G and RT.

I would say he's "the sixth man" in our OL depth and that's something you aren't just going to dismiss. Nobody else on our depth chart gives us anything close to what Hubbard does. And the FO renegotiated Hubbard's contract to fall in line with the role he currently plays.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 08/24/21 04:42 PM

You may be right.

But then again Callahan may see something in others he likes.

Hudson was brought in to play. He is a rookie. You would think given the experience of Hubbard they would want to keep him.

But I have no idea what they see everyday at practice.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 08/24/21 05:04 PM

Felton will take someones job.

He is playing receiver, running back, and special teams.

If he is listed as a receiver?
Jarvis, Odell, DPJ, Schwartz
Higgins, Hodge, (Felton)

Running back:
Chubb, Hunt, D'Ernest, (Felton)

Can Davion Davis make the team?

Most likely They try and stash Davis.

Higgins and Hodge make the team. Felton gets counted somewhere.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/24/21 05:11 PM
Nor do I. I guess that's part of my thinking on the topic. We have a known commodity on Hubbard. While you are correct that we have some talent waiting in the wings, they would really have had to have shown something that causes you to believe they could step right in without missing a beat.

So where the "we are developing OL talent" and "the talent we are developing is ready to start at a moments notice" intersect I have no idea.

I know it was just last off season, March of 2020 when his contract was renegotiated to better reflect what is current role is. Right after Conklin was signed. A lot can change in a year. I'm just not sure I see anyone on the roster that could step into both the G or RT spot and produce the way Hubbard does.

But as you mentioned, our information to base such an opinion on is limited.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Trades - 08/24/21 05:33 PM

We will find out soon enough.

I have not been a big Hubbard fan. I have admit that.

When he was the starter at RT. I saw him get beat so many times. And I mean beaten badly.

At other times he was servicable.

Guys like Hance, Dunn, Forbes, Hudson, Gossett, Senat I don't know how they are viewed?

Posted By: BarkinMad Re: Trades - 08/24/21 05:43 PM
Well, if they draft properly, the Jets and Dolphins could really jump into being a contender in the next few years.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Trades - 08/25/21 02:49 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Trades - 08/25/21 03:08 AM
It is a blank empty box.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Trades - 08/25/21 03:21 AM
No, your tech skills are though.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Trades - 08/25/21 11:25 AM
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Trades - 08/25/21 12:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Thanks to Rhamondre Stevenson's 7.7 ypc average in pre-season.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Trades - 08/25/21 02:52 PM
And to think Michel was drafted before Chubb...
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Trades - 08/25/21 03:02 PM

I agree and not an unusual occurrence. Too many Mel Kiper and other draft gurus picks that burn out in 3-4 seasons. That is why even though I might be excited the day after a draft I know it will be a while before I the real results are in.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Trades - 08/25/21 03:19 PM
To be fair, Chubb had that devastating knee injury hanging over him like a cloud when he was drafted.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 08/25/21 03:42 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/25/21 05:22 PM
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN

I agree and not an unusual occurrence. Too many Mel Kiper and other draft gurus picks that burn out in 3-4 seasons. That is why even though I might be excited the day after a draft I know it will be a while before I the real results are in.

The problem with that is it isn't Mel Kiper of any of the other draft gurus making those picks. It's NFL GM's making them.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 08/25/21 05:42 PM
Pretty good group right there.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/25/21 05:45 PM
j/c

This isn't a trade but when looking at the listed topics I didn't quite know where to post this without starting a new thread.

Broncos name Teddy Bridgewater starting quarterback

The quarterback competition is over in Denver.

The Broncos have announced that Teddy Bridgewater will start the season as Denver’s QB1, winning the job over incumbent starter Drew Lock. The franchise tweeted out the news on Wednesday morning.

Denver sent a 2021 sixth-round pick to Carolina in exchange for Bridgewater back in April. The trade was designed to have the QB compete with Lock. While both players displayed some flashes, head coach Vic Fangio has elected to go with the more experienced option.

Bridgewater was a full-time starter last year for the first time since suffering a career-threatening knee injury just before the start of the 2016 season. Bridgewater completed 69.1 percent of his passes last season for 3,733 yards with 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions with Carolina. He averaged a career-high 7.6 yards per attempt and compiled a 92.1 passer rating.

In 2019, Bridgewater started five games in place of an injured Drew Brees in New Orleans, leading the Saints to a 5-0 record. He threw for 1,384 yards with nine touchdowns and two interceptions that season.

Bridgewater will now become the fifth different Week One starting quarterback in the five years since the Broncos won Super Bowl 50.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ng-quarterback/
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 08/26/21 05:09 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 08/26/21 05:41 PM
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Trades - 08/26/21 05:45 PM
Wade never panned out at Ohio State. He was supposed to be the next great CB to come out… but fizzled greatly last year. He got beat way too often on any hitch route or double move. The Ravens aren’t losing much. Hopefully the Pats are giving even less.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 08/26/21 05:49 PM

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Trades - 08/26/21 05:55 PM
I stand by my assessment of his OSU days. I haven’t followed the Raven’s preseason. Maybe the light has come on… or maybe it’s just preseason stardom. I just know he was at times being targeted by college teams. Getting beat like a red headed stepchild by both Indiana and NW if I recall correctly.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 08/26/21 06:03 PM
Last year he was awful at OSU, know question about it. I think he was a steal in the 5th though. Scary the Ravens don't have room for him.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trades - 08/26/21 06:54 PM
Weren't there reports about hime having an ankle injury or something like that last year that affected his play?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/26/21 07:39 PM
That’s been the theme for the past year for Wade, who underwent groin surgery before his final season at Ohio State and also battled turf toe during the season. Despite those injuries, Wade played in all eight of the Buckeyes’ 2020 games. However, he didn’t play as well as an outside cornerback in 2020 as he did as a slot cornerback in 2019, and he says that’s come up in many of his interviews with NFL teams.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-stat...ing-for-pro-day
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Trades - 08/28/21 03:40 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars trade QB Gardner Minshew to Philadelphia Eagles for conditional 2022 sixth-round pick

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3210...ixth-round-pick
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 08/28/21 04:53 PM
Jacksonville Jaguars trade QB Gardner Minshew to Philadelphia Eagles for conditional 2022 sixth-round pick

The Jaguars are the dumb team.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Trades - 08/28/21 05:17 PM

Philly did a great job of creating confusion for themselves though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 08/28/21 05:44 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg

Philly did a great job of creating confusion for themselves though.

Any time you can a player at a valuable position that is as good as Minshew for that cheap, you do it.

The Jaguars just held a farcical QB competition, that could potentially hinder the development of their first overall pick, for a player that they traded for a conditional sixth round pick.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/28/21 05:56 PM
People must realize that quality depth is something you should also strive to improve. As far as QB's go they got a great deal at a position of top value. Whether he starts or is a back up it was a steal.
Posted By: FATE Re: Trades - 08/28/21 06:17 PM

This move is a serious head-scratcher. There is not anybody in the football world that would be surprised to hear "Minshew traded to ___________ for a 4th round pick"... Six weeks from now when someone's starter goes down.

Unless you convince me (basic impossibility) that they had no choice because they needed the roster spot, this is a couple notches below just "dumb".
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Trades - 08/28/21 07:02 PM
For a six? Worth that trade just to offer him up when somebody needs a filler for an injured starter. I have a higher opinion of this guy than a 6.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Trades - 08/29/21 06:20 PM
j/c...

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Trades - 08/29/21 07:05 PM
I'm surprised Berry hasn't made any trades.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/29/21 07:18 PM
I think there will be a great deal of value found in the cuts. Trades are a good idea but if you feel the people you are targeting may be cut, you will get a much cheaper contract and give up no future assets or resources.
Posted By: Jester Re: Trades - 08/29/21 07:23 PM
It comes down to how badly you want them. If you trade for them you are guaranteed of getting them. IF you wait for them to be released, they very well may sign with somebody else.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Trades - 08/29/21 07:37 PM
While I certainly agree with you. But at the talent level where players will be cut, I think you are looking at "types of players" that will fit into the scheme you are trying to run more so than actual names of players themselves.

I see it much like the draft. Sure there are players at the top of the draft that you try to target if you have the opportunity. But once you get into the late rounds the talent level of the players themselves levels off quite a bit. At that juncture you may very well have groups of players you feel you can come on and fit well with your system.

From my POV that's very much a similar situation with players who get cut from other teams.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 08/29/21 08:43 PM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I'm surprised Berry hasn't made any trades.

There is still two weeks before the first game. I would guess we make at least one trade before the cutdown.
Posted By: hitt Re: Trades - 08/29/21 08:46 PM
Would hate to see one of our decent RBs ending up in Baltimore. With Dobbs gone, they will be looking for RB help....GO Browns!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 08/29/21 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By: hitt
Would hate to see one of our decent RBs ending up in Baltimore. With Dobbs gone, they will be looking for RB help....GO Browns!!
I think Gurley ends up there … and I think they also try to get a scat back type
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Trades - 08/30/21 11:12 AM
Today is the day you look at teams that have lost players due to injury those are the teams you talk too to see if they are looking to make a deal for someone on our roster if I am Berry I don't announce cuts until the last moment.

I dreed this day to a degree we are about to say goodbye to some decent players.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Trades - 08/30/21 04:43 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Trades - 09/08/21 02:26 PM
j/c:

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Trades - 09/22/21 09:30 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 09/23/21 11:32 AM
Nothing about our FO group makes me think we would trade for the guy. I don't think we would even want him, but if he goes FA, we might possibly take a look, but I doubt it.

Elijah Lee....keep playing him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 09/23/21 11:37 AM
I don’t want Collins. He sandbagged us a few years ago. I’d rather Play Lee and hope Phillips can return quickly
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Trades - 09/27/21 04:09 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Trades - 09/27/21 04:29 PM
JAX is already all-in on the first overall pick in 2022 and Urban is tossing out whatever isn't his to stockpile picks. They're kinda trying the Sashi route of tearing down, but they're not gonna do it right.... and they just might need another QB by the time they get there.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 09/27/21 05:03 PM
That’s the problem. Lawrence looks awful
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Trades - 09/27/21 09:57 PM

he makes Zach Wison look all-pro
Posted By: cle23 Re: Trades - 09/27/21 11:25 PM

Not even close. Wilson has been downright awful. Lawrence has at least shown some promise. Both are rookies on TERRIBLE teams.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 09/28/21 12:25 AM

Not even close. Wilson has been downright awful. Lawrence has at least shown some promise. Both are rookies on TERRIBLE teams.

Wilson looks like a little playing quarterback. Lawrence at least has moments where he looks like he knows what he is doing. The whole class has been pretty bad so far.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Trades - 09/28/21 10:48 AM

Wilson looks like a little playing quarterback. Lawrence at least has moments where he looks like he knows what he is doing. The whole class has been pretty bad so far.

Trey Lance hasn't played yet. I think he will be the gem of the class.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Trades - 09/28/21 11:37 AM
The thing about Wilson: he looks TINY. Even Baker seems bigger. Maybe it’s just my browns colored glasses
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Trades - 09/28/21 04:55 PM

Trey Lance hasn't played yet. I think he will be the gem of the class.

He's out there a little bit situationally. He does not look lost.
Posted By: RedBaron Re: Trades - 09/28/21 10:07 PM
The thing about Wilson: he looks TINY. Even Baker seems bigger. Maybe it’s just my browns colored glasses

He's a monster compared to the hobbit in Arizona.

Every time I watch Arizona I just smile. Go Bilbo!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 09/29/21 06:11 AM
Originally Posted By: RedBaron

He's a monster compared to the hobbit in Arizona.

Every time I watch Arizona I just smile. Go Bilbo!

My brother is a Cardinals fan. They call him Baby Yoda.
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Trades - 10/12/21 12:17 AM
If I'm Andrew Berry, I'm calling up the Chargers and propose Mayfield/Beckham for Justin Herbert straight up, do you think that's crazy?

We wouldn't have to play them for another 4 years unless it is playoffs, and we would get a bigger bodied QB built for the AFC North
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Trades - 10/12/21 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By: boofers20
If I'm Andrew Berry, I'm calling up the Chargers and propose Mayfield/Beckham for Justin Herbert straight up, do you think that's crazy?

We wouldn't have to play them for another 4 years unless it is playoffs, and we would get a bigger bodied QB built for the AFC North

And the Chargers would hang up the phone and laugh for hours.

Also, the Chargers are in the AFC. We play them way more than every four years.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Trades - 10/12/21 04:19 AM
Originally Posted By: boofers20

And the Chargers would hang up the phone and laugh for hours.

Also, the Chargers are in the AFC. We play them way more than every four years.

Posted By: BustkeviousMingo Re: Trades - 10/15/21 03:51 PM
Cardinals acquire Ertz from Eagles for 5th-rounder, Gowan
https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/2200370

The Philadelphia Eagles traded three-time Pro Bowl tight end Zach Ertz to the Arizona Cardinals for a 2022 fifth-round pick and cornerback Tay Gowan, the team announced Friday.

It was reported Thursday the Eagles were receiving trade interest for Ertz and fellow tight end Dallas Goedert amid a disappointing start to the season.

Ertz requested an exit from Philadelphia during the offseason after eight seasons with the NFC East club, but the veteran reversed his decision before the season.

The Cardinals, the NFL's lone undefeated team, needed to bolster their tight end group after Maxx Williams suffered a season-ending knee injury.

Ertz won't be able to make his Arizona debut until Week 7 after playing in the Eagles' Thursday night loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The 30-year-old had four catches for 29 yards and a touchdown in his final game for Philadelphia.

A second-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Ertz quickly established himself as one of the game's top tight ends and the Eagles' most reliable weapon. He produced five straight seasons of over 70 catches from 2015-19, highlighted by a 116-catch, 1,163-yard campaign in 2018.
© DawgTalkers.net