DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: hitt Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 01:52 PM
Malik McDowell, out of Michigan State and the "penal system", he doesn't seem to fit the Browns mantra of smart, tough, accountable.....he of recent prison time. I'd assume they did their due diligence....must believe in second chances. JMHO, I don't want to go down the Gordon and Manziel road again....GO Browns!!!!

If it worked out for Wild Thing Vaughn, it can work out for anyone.
Posted By: hitt Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 02:07 PM
Good, no, very good answer. Malik's life isn't over, I just hope he's found himself....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 02:11 PM
Originally Posted By: hitt
Malik McDowell, out of Michigan State and the "penal system", he doesn't seem to fit the Browns mantra of smart, tough, accountable.....he of recent prison time. I'd assume they did their due diligence....must believe in second chances. JMHO, I don't want to go down the Gordon and Manziel road again....GO Browns!!!!

FWIW, we're getting McDowell on the opposite end of of his getting into trouble. For Gordon and Manziel, we were there such that we bought high and watched the descent.
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 02:22 PM
I think there is a huge difference between investing in stupid and taking a flyer to see if somebody has screwed their head back on straight.

Our locker room, and the character of it's members, is more than enough to support someone who needs a break without derailing our mission. This is a fast moving train... he either jumps on or gets left at the station. Big difference between that and relying on guys that can't even seem to pack a suitcase.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 03:13 PM
We are not relying on McDowell for anything. Gordon and Manziel were supposed to be pillars of the franchise.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 04:17 PM
We gave up a second round pick investment for Gordon. We're taking a flyer on this kid.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 04:19 PM
Yup.... it's a Risk-Free Trial.
His draft comp, on SI, was Calais Campbell. If we get anything close to that ... we have to hope he stays out of trouble.
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 04:49 PM
I think the only real downside is if he comes in, competes, wins a job -- and then becomes a headcase or problem on and/or off the field.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 04:53 PM
You cross that bridge when you come to it.
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 04:57 PM
Exactly. It's not like were talking about him bumping a perennial pro-bowler.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 07:00 PM
I am taking a wait and see approach. Obviously he had a life changing experience and 11 months in jail to contemplate his life. Let’s hope his words are consistent with his actions.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 07:33 PM
Hope it works out. I love redemption stories, especially in the NFL.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 07:56 PM
He was drafted 35th overall by the Seahawks back in 2017. He hasn't played in the NFL, hasn't played football since 2016 with Michigan state, (I think).
Malik Mcdowell he's 6'6 295, could be any weight by now, but he has the size and playing History to both Get after the Qb and hold the edge from,
well basically he looks like a 4-3 guy in size.

Now, they can move him to the inside, some have talked about moving the edge rushers on the Browns to the inside but that takes away from your options to rush from the outside,
Maliks still 24, or 25 I think but less than 26 so if this is for the future, 2 or 3 years down the road, and I don't think it takes 2 years talent wise, I think this is a step in and play player, not a starter,
certainly not a starter with the Browns and all the big name edge rushers they've acquired But Another' guy, that teams are going to have to account for
He's got the size and lean, to get after it, and those guys are always worth taking a look at.
But when you take a look at the Browns, you've got Clowney, Garrett, McKinley, Malik Jackson on the inside, he may have a hard time getting onto the field but certainly worth taking a look,
on a normal team he could be a, at worst a 3rd or 4th option at DE to be a thorn in the side of opposing QB's for as long as he's here,
on the Browns he may have a tuff time getting onto the field, but certainly he's Another' option to apply pressure and get after an offense.

And don't forget about Curtis Weaver? Curtis is Another' option around the outside.
And don't forget about Damion Square, Well Square is a guy who may fit on the inside, as an, A pass rusher from the inside, but 9 years in the league 32 years old, With the Chargers, some, some of the sack production hasn't been as much as others but look at him he's another long lean 6'2 287, experienced vet; somebody teams will have to account for.

Again with Square, on a normal team, on a normal team he'd probably immediately step in and provide a change to the D-line, but with the Depth on the Browns it's going to take some time to see who gets defensive snaps, and with a 17 game, it's certainly not a bad thing to have depth, to have role players, to have game changers who can still come in and give the team quality posessions and make a bad day for opposing QBs.
Posted By: hitt Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 08:28 PM
Agree, I was just surprised he's getting a shot because of his background. I'm sure our present coach AND the team will make it crystal clear what the expectations are....hope he works out AND he's damn lucky he's getting a shot, JMHO....Go Browns!!!
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 09:15 PM
Yeah, from what I've seen of both Stefanski and Berry, I imagine they were pretty straightforward and pragmatic about the whole situation. If he shows he has changed for the better and can show up on the field, then he has a shot at staying. If he slips up and is a detriment in any way, he is gone.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 10:06 PM
No downside to this.

I'll be rooting for the kid. Everybody deserves a chance at redemption.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/06/21 11:36 PM
Yup, same. I'm hoping he makes it and rises to be everything he could have been all along. That's good for him and good for the Browns, and it's a great story.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/07/21 09:02 AM
j/c

I see McDowell as a total wild card/bonus. It hurts us zero if we cut him tomorrow. He can only help us (and by all accounts, he could be a decent player)
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/07/21 12:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
No downside to this.

I'll be rooting for the kid. Everybody deserves a chance at redemption.

I am as well.. Just keep thinking about Chris Carter..Booted by Philly, picked up by the vikings. All the drug problems.. and yet,, he's a HOFer.

That's what I'm hoping for. i know,, I know,, It's unlikely, but A guy can dream right naughtydevil
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/07/21 12:53 PM
Yeah, there are examples of people who turn it around and have the lightbulb go off (both on and off the field). It’s kind of a no pressure situation for us
Posted By: eotab Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/07/21 01:49 PM
j/c...

Personally I thought that was over kill on all parts.

Malik..just shut up and follow the instructions of the Police (one request for a supervisor is enough)

Police...Blue Print on how NOT TO CONTROL a Situation. Btw the Taser didn't seem to affect Malik...to the officer Malik could have destroyed you several times over. Got to learn how to control a situation better.

It was a Ticket for crying out loud which escalated into a life death situation.

jmho
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/10/21 10:29 AM
He just needs a good supervisor.
Posted By: BpG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/13/21 05:14 PM
I for one love wild and violent defensive players.
Posted By: hitt Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/29/21 11:25 AM
EO- where did you get your info about "one" of his infractions. I probably missed it. You never really know what a young man will do once he's given millions. From his rap sheet he got drunk and was riding on ATV the wrong way. Hope he matured in prison and is a positive in Cleveland. I just don't want another Gordon...and I know this organization doesn't need this guy, he is ONLY a potential positive- hopefully good risk, and lots of reward for both parties.....Go Browns!!!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/29/21 11:38 AM
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

Personally I thought that was over kill on all parts.

Malik..just shut up and follow the instructions of the Police (one request for a supervisor is enough)

Police...Blue Print on how NOT TO CONTROL a Situation. Btw the Taser didn't seem to affect Malik...to the officer Malik could have destroyed you several times over. Got to learn how to control a situation better.

It was a Ticket for crying out loud which escalated into a life death situation.

jmho

I watched the TMZ tape. I didn't see anything the cop did that would seem heavy handed. It went way past a "ticket' situation and McDowell is the one who took it there.

That said, my earlier comment stands, I am glad he is getting a chance. I hope he takes the chance and makes it work.
Posted By: eotab Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/29/21 01:52 PM
EO- where did you get your info about "one" of his infractions. I probably missed it. You never really know what a young man will do once he's given millions. From his rap sheet he got drunk and was riding on ATV the wrong way. Hope he matured in prison and is a positive in Cleveland. I just don't want another Gordon...and I know this organization doesn't need this guy, he is ONLY a potential positive- hopefully good risk, and lots of reward for both parties.....Go Browns!!!!

Well I've been limited in my efforts so it was either the Browns website, Google or an article provided by a poster here. Those are my sources - too lazy to go back and see exactly where I got it from.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/29/21 02:37 PM

I think it was more about him fighting a cop in a convivence store.
Posted By: mac Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/29/21 07:49 PM

I just watched McDowell's altercation on with police in Feb, 2019...all I can say is the odds of MM helping himself enough to stay out of trouble off the field is going to be the challenge.

I don't feel good about his chances and it has nothing to do with his football ability.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/29/21 08:24 PM
Whatever rolleyes

Why search out a guys arrest tape anyway.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/29/21 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By: mac

I just watched McDowell's altercation on with police in Feb, 2019...all I can say is the odds of MM helping himself enough to stay out of trouble off the field is going to be the challenge.

I don't feel good about his chances and it has nothing to do with his football ability.

Did you feel good about Kareem Hunt?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/29/21 11:48 PM
The beauty of that is that none of our thoughts and feelings on it matter, dude is gonna do whatever he is gonna do.... and it doesn't set us back in any way, at all, if he doesn't work out. We're good and set without him. If he works out, however, we're potentially a lot better.

All that said, I have absolutely no idea how you watch an altercation from the past and feel it is an indicator of anything in the future or someone's ability to better themselves.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/30/21 05:12 AM
I think the Beauty is, there are probably not 13 people on the planet, who will end up playing Pro football in a 20 year span,
who can so elegantly dominate a pass rush edge as Malik McDowell for the few snaps he's motivated and in position to.

And there are a boatload of pro football DE's that spend so much effort trying to,
but some things just are unfair nature,

and I think that is a thing of beauty.

It is not fair at all, that someone who doesn't do everything right is much more talented than others who put in so much work trying to hone a lesser skillset.

But I'd take it for what it is, a thing of beauty.
Posted By: eotab Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/30/21 01:51 PM
Actually he didn't really fight he was defending himself after getting tasered its just he was so big and the cop was a pretty small that it looked like fighting.

But yeah that was the altercation for sure. The tape being stopped for a traffic violation in the snow and spinning out so he went to a convenience store and stopped then started asking for the guys supervisor every time he would ask Malik for ID or something.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/30/21 04:30 PM
The kid has a ton of talent and could be a very good NFL player. He also had a ton of attitude problems in college. If he has grown up he can be a steal. If he hasn't he needs to go ASAP as we don't need him to cause problems like he did at MS.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/30/21 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
The kid has a ton of talent and could be a very good NFL player. He also had a ton of attitude problems in college. If he has grown up he can be a steal. If he hasn't he needs to go ASAP as we don't need him to cause problems like he did at MS.

Just a guess on my part, but I'd bet you that's what will happen.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/30/21 05:39 PM
Originally Posted By: eotab
Actually he didn't really fight he was defending himself after getting tasered its just he was so big and the cop was a pretty small that it looked like fighting.

But yeah that was the altercation for sure. The tape being stopped for a traffic violation in the snow and spinning out so he went to a convenience store and stopped then started asking for the guys supervisor every time he would ask Malik for ID or something.

i gotta believe this guy has a much higher chance of getting it together than a Josh Gordon type of dude.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/30/21 07:54 PM
yeah I don't get it... after Malik was being a bit belligerent how hard is it to just say ok and call for back up.

I get the cop waiting to stay in the car but what the hell was that guy going to do against someone as big a Malik.... I mean that taser didn't do a darn thing against him.

Malik probably should have stayed in the car rather than go into the store.... but cop could have handled that a lot better...
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/30/21 08:57 PM
The whole thing was more stupid than anything else. McDowell could have used better judgement he put his career and possibly his life in jeopardy over some bull$h*t as a black man in America you need to count the cost every time you encounter police. I don't know the law in Michigan but it looked like resisting and simple assault. Those are not major felonies. If I had to do those 18 months I'd be doing some serious self-examination so I never allow myself to get in that situation again.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/30/21 09:13 PM
FWIW . . .
naughtydevil Welcome to Michigan.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/31/21 01:02 AM
just another reason to avoid Michigan
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/31/21 01:15 AM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

I'd bet a good amount of money that Berry wouldn't have even considered signing the guy without us doing more than a little homework on him, and likely quite a bit and I would absolutely bet it involved at least a good ole fashioned "sit down and let's have a come to Jesus talk". I have little doubt that his short bit of time gave him a wake-up call of just what it is that he is on the verge of throwing away.

I think we have enough solid character types on this team that he will be surrounded by guys that set the example, and I don't doubt that he's been told he needs to learn from that example.

Lastly, I'd bet that it has been made very clear to him by Berry, Stefanski, his agent, and maybe even the Equipment Manager, that he has not made it, he has not "arrived", and he is on a short leash. We don't need him, but he definitely needs us.

I hope for the best, because that's what helps the Browns the most.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/31/21 03:32 AM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I'd bet a good amount of money that Berry wouldn't have even considered signing the guy without us doing more than a little homework on him, and likely quite a bit and I would absolutely bet it involved at least a good ole fashioned "sit down and let's have a come to Jesus talk". I have little doubt that his short bit of time gave him a wake-up call of just what it is that he is on the verge of throwing away.

I think we have enough solid character types on this team that he will be surrounded by guys that set the example, and I don't doubt that he's been told he needs to learn from that example.

Lastly, I'd bet that it has been made very clear to him by Berry, Stefanski, his agent, and maybe even the Equipment Manager, that he has not made it, he has not "arrived", and he is on a short leash. We don't need him, but he definitely needs us.

I hope for the best, because that's what helps the Browns the most.
This works sometimes, and not others. Josh Gordon, Anotonio Callaway, and on the other side Kareem Hunt. Although none of these compare with McDowell's situation in terms of severity, they are all instances where the Browns took on players with character issues. I'm guessing Malik has a very short leash. I hope he truly understands the opportunity he's been given.
Posted By: eotab Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 05/31/21 05:12 PM
Yeah no drugs just probably a little disrespect for law enforcement and the media doesn't help as they have crucified the cops...I get it there is major profiling being done, some actually are justified. But so much not. I hate it when I invite a friend over for dinner and he says that in my neighbor hood (very white) but happily to say its actually changing. But he was afraid of getting pulled over of course he did not have a valid driving license. I offered to go with him to the DMV but he would back out, I think he has some old child support stuff. Anyways I still don't like it that he won't come.

jmho
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/01/21 01:18 PM
Well, without a valid license to drive, he should be concerned if pulled over, profiled or not.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/01/21 04:10 PM
I think McDowell will have to use limited opportunities to showcase that he has developed a well rounded game that includes even more than just rushing a QB.
Posted By: eotab Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/02/21 12:58 PM
lol...got to remember we got millions of people here so that one could slide by.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 10:41 AM
J/C

Some things I didn't know about Malik McDowell: The dude can play 1-tech and do it well.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 12:53 PM

Really impressive.

This guy has incredible skills.

If his head is on right and he is in shape; there may be something there.

So much is about what's between the ears.

I have seen talent in baseball as a coach that I knew would make a kid a prospect. That is not enough. Talent alone will get you nowhere.

You have to "want it" really bad. And you have to have singular focus to be great. You must be coachable and be willing to use instruction to improve.

McDowell I am sure has been made aware that he must be all in. Any slip up and his career is over.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 12:58 PM
It sounds to me like MM might be a DE candidate.

The author really did a nice job there IMO. He mentioned (4) defensive player prospects in that video...and (3) of them are now on our roster.

Fun thought regarding the author's comment that MM needs to be in the right lockerrom with the right coaches......when that video was created, Cleveland might have been the last team on that list...and now we might be one of the top 6.
I'd rather see him inside applying pressure.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 01:17 PM
I think we might have put together a very versatile DL - players that can play multiple positions along the line depending on the down and distance. I could see them all moving around a little - but I agree, inside would be where I would have him as a mainstay (assuming he can still anchor like that).
Agreed.

I think you could see a decent amount of Clowney inside. But, predominately, I'd prefer to see him at DE.

Same goes with MM. Sure, he can play outside, but I think his value could be more inside.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 01:34 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Agreed.

I think you could see a decent amount of Clowney inside. But, predominately, I'd prefer to see him at DE.

Same goes with MM. Sure, he can play outside, but I think his value could be more inside.

I lean this way as well. If the choice came down to...say...Square vs either Malik...I would think that the ability to not-suck at DE gives the Maliks a leg up.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 01:39 PM

MM has to be on point early.

He is an experiment. He has to impress the coaches right from the start.

Takk, a former first rounder and another guy who has to a lot to prove. Since he showed up at the front door in Berea. He has been all business. He knows what he must do.

McDowell must be at full attention. His body language must be good. He has to be attentive in meetings. He has to show the staff that he wants to be a part of the team.

Many times in life you only get one chance. If you are lucky and you do get a second chance. It is all on you.
Posted By: mac Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 02:02 PM
bone..everything you said above must be considered but the fans and media might need to tone down those expectations.

Reading yesterday, I realized that MM has not played a down of football since Nov, 2016...it's been a very long layoff for any football player to overcome.

One of the factors I wasn't prepared for when I went from season to season was the hitting. You simply have no way to duplicate the punishment a player endures, play after play. It took me a few practices to become used to the hitting and I was only dealing with 9 months of a layoff.

This is the period when players are vulnerable to injury as teams adjust to a new season of full go. With MM being off for almost 5 seasons with out hitting it will be period that you hold your breath hoping the players make it through without suffering a serious injury is just "another challenge" facing MM.

I will be pulling for the guy but with the understanding of what a challenge he is facing.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 02:12 PM
I don't expect that we'll "see" him for a long while, for the exact reasons you've described.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 02:27 PM

He is a long shot.

First off. He is a 25 year old rookie. He has not had professional coaching.

He came into the league lacking technique.

He is way behind. He knows little. He will get embarrassed by professional offensive linemen.

He is coming into a locker room rated as one of the best rosters in football. He has never experienced that.

He needs to develop friendships and seek help from other players. He will need to be mentored.

He has a steep hill to climb.

It is all about what shape he showed up in. And him doing all he can to do what he is told.
Posted By: jeepnstein Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 02:32 PM
Originally Posted By: mac
bone..everything you said above must be considered but the fans and media might need to tone down those expectations.

Reading yesterday, I realized that MM has not played a down of football since Nov, 2016...it's been a very long layoff for any football player to overcome.

One of the factors I wasn't prepared for when I went from season to season was the hitting. You simply have no way to duplicate the punishment a player endures, play after play. It took me a few practices to become used to the hitting and I was only dealing with 9 months of a layoff.

This is the period when players are vulnerable to injury as teams adjust to a new season of full go. With MM being off for almost 5 seasons with out hitting it will be period that you hold your breath hoping the players make it through without suffering a serious injury is just "another challenge" facing MM.

I will be pulling for the guy but with the understanding of what a challenge he is facing.

That's a very valid concern. I will say, though, that there's "tough" and there's "prison tough". It's a harsh environment even on a good day. A lot of the young guys I see getting released are in the best shape of their lives but I doubt any of them are remotely in NFL shape.

My experience with convicts is that when they get out they either resolve to never do anything even approaching that dumb ever again or they offend again rather quickly. I'm hoping McDowell is one of the smart ones.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 03:03 PM
I am giddy at the thought of this guy studding out and sharing the line with Myles & Jadaveon.

He has two VERY SOLID personas in those two to mentor him. Both a solid professionals, and both are just solid people.

I think that as long as he is coming in with the right mindset, this guy is gonna be alright.
Hopefully, he has been putting in enough training leading up to this to at least be in the same physical shape as the rookies.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 03:06 PM
I thought that Clowney was more of a personality that had to be managed rather than one you'd want to have manage others (?). Garrett will no doubt be a positive influence. If nothing else, he can just look at the fact that they were in the same draft class and were talked about having the same physical gifts. Garrett is enjoying his second contract and Malik is where he is.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 03:30 PM
I think the only real issue with Clowney is the perception of him taking plays off (which I have to wonder how much of that is someone seeing him play 2-gap and thinking he isn't giving effort to get to the QB) and him wanting to get paid like he hit the MegaMillions without the stats to back it up.
Beyond that, he's a solid, no-drama off the field, hard-worker that trains for every season like it's his last. Between he & Myles, I think Malik has some really good footsteps to follow.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 09:04 PM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Really impressive.

This guy has incredible skills.

If his head is on right and he is in shape; there may be something there.

So much is about what's between the ears.

I have seen talent in baseball as a coach that I knew would make a kid a prospect. That is not enough. Talent alone will get you nowhere.

You have to "want it" really bad. And you have to have singular focus to be great. You must be coachable and be willing to use instruction to improve.

McDowell I am sure has been made aware that he must be all in. Any slip up and his career is over.

I disagree about talent getting you nowhere. Wanting it with no talent gets you nowhere. Talent is what got him this 2nd chance.

But yeah, the wanting it is usually what takes a player over the top.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/04/21 09:15 PM
Hard Work wins when Talent doesn't want to put in the hard work.

BUT, when Talent does the work, you can't beat it.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/05/21 06:37 AM
The Problem ends up being,
with 3 or more players meeting at the sack to tackle the quarterback, convincing the refs that none of those 3 roughed the quarterback for a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down.

It's a good problem to have but must be reinforced day after day.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/05/21 06:50 AM
https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/06/03/cleveland-browns-malik-mcdowell-roster/

This article says some things about McDowell's better level of talent that is someone other than me saying them.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/05/21 11:33 AM
Hard Work wins when Talent doesn't want to put in the hard work.

BUT, when Talent does the work, you can't beat it.

I can agree with that in normal settings. Not so much a pro athlete.

Some people can't throw 90MPH or run 4.4 forties no matter how hard they work. That 70MPH fastball or 5.2 forty just isn't going to get you anywhere.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/05/21 04:12 PM
You're overthinking it. smile
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/05/21 05:02 PM
On the flip side some people improve the harder they work. In the NFL not everyone is a superstar or a stud player. Being as where I'm from I know of a baseball player who was not a superstar athlete to begin with. He just worked hard at his craft and got better and better over time.

His nickname was Charlie Hustle. His name is Pete Rose.

I'm not trying to discount what you're saying. I'm just saying it works both ways.
I would love to see the Browns hit it out of the park on Malik but I somehow believe we will survive if we don't.

That said I always pull for guys who have had trouble and Malik will be no different he has elite skills, I pray for his sake he has focused on improving and polishing up the skills.

Wouldn't it be great for him 1st and 2nd the Browns to hit on a great player? And for a great player to find themselves with the best team in the league?

A dynasty to follow. Another piece of the puzzle added!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/06/21 05:07 AM
I really enjoyed reading this post.

When I finished, I thought: "Just think what Browns fans sounded like just 3-4 years ago. Just think how many years you've spent reading diehard fans routinely expressing their frustration, hopelessness and despair. And now, just look at this."

I know you're AKA as 'Upbeat Dawg,' but that's not why I chose to respond to/piggyback your post. I did it because your post is so emblematic of the general tone and tenor of so many of us now. A shining example of how much has improved- and how tuned-in to it we all seem to be.

This little corner of the web is buzzing about as positively as I've ever seen it. And it feels great- because it means I'm not alone in the optimism I have. An optimism that is still kinda shiny and new- and still a little bit outside my comfort zone. I've spent a wholelotta years being cynical and curmudgeonly about this team. I'm sure that is why part of me still feels like a kid on Christmas Day, when I look at this team in 2021.

I wanna ride out this 'honeymoon phase' for as long as it will play... but I'm also hungry for that threshold moment when I stop being thankful for the absence of pain, and begin each season with an expectation of YPR: 'Yearly Playoff Relevance.'

It really does look like we're at the threshold of becoming a perennial NFL Presence.

My "Battered Dawg Syndrome" is still hanging on by a thread... trying to tell me to temper my enthusiasm, but I gotta tell you:

I can't freakkin' wait for this next season to start.

As a fan, I see an NFL that doesn't intimidate me. I see a CLE team who played with zero intimidation last year... and this year, they are that much farther along in The Process.

What a great place to be, relative to 1-31.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/06/21 11:42 AM

On board and loving it.

I am with you and BTB.

So much fun to feel optimistic. To go from where we have been to now makes it even more special.

I wake each day and bath in light of new optimism. I have never felt so strongly about what a season we could have.

It is one thing to start a season hoping "if" all these things go right "we might do ok."

To this season where I can not see failure. There are simply to many good things in place for this team to be bad.

Counting the days.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/06/21 11:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I would love to see the Browns hit it out of the park on Malik but I somehow believe we will survive if we don't.

That said I always pull for guys who have had trouble and Malik will be no different he has elite skills, I pray for his sake he has focused on improving and polishing up the skills.

Wouldn't it be great for him 1st and 2nd the Browns to hit on a great player? And for a great player to find themselves with the best team in the league?

A dynasty to follow. Another piece of the puzzle added!

Even more than polishing his skills, Ilklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklklk, hope he has his mind right.

LOL...my cat had to come up and say hi to dad.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 06/06/21 02:33 PM
If his mind is right, the body will follow.
I'm betting he is in shape; good enough shape to get signed, anyway, but likely not in the kinda shape a player that has been doing this for a living would be in... I simply reference the things we've seen posted here recently from Myles, Clowney, Chubb, etc... it's a whole other level when it is your year-round lifestyle.
Posted By: mac Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/09/21 11:55 PM
Sometimes you hate to be right....
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/10/21 12:29 AM
The NY Giants, appear to suddenly be a poorly coached or managed org.
The HC wants to encourage fights
after a mega fight the coach wants to punish the players with a 30 minute run. 4 Giants retired left the team outright in the week.

And then:

In about 10 days, iirc, the Browns and Giants are going to joint practice. Soo.

Could use Malik McDowell out there in the joint practices, he has an oblique injury last I heard. frown Get well soon.
Posted By: JPPT1974 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/10/21 03:11 AM
Giants encouraging fights if it is about being bruised and bloodied that is the wrong way. But if you are doing that to encourage them could be trying to excite them.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 07:08 PM
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 08:26 PM
I wonder how he looks against starters.
I'm super stoked for this guy.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 08:28 PM
McDowell played well enough that we aren’t going to be able to sneak him through waivers anymore.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 09:18 PM
I wonder how he looks against starters.
I'm super stoked for this guy.

No doubt he can dominate 2nd and 3rd team guys. That is what starter type players are supposed to do.

The general thinking to that point is he should be able to play to a stalemate to average starters as a minimum.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 10:24 PM
Posted By: Dave Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 11:17 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

For some reason, I can't see this. Is it a twitter post? I usually see tweets ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 11:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave

For some reason, I can't see this. Is it a twitter post? I usually see tweets ...

It looks like the Tweet was deleted.
Posted By: Dave Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 11:28 PM
Thanks - just tell me they didn't cut McDowell.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 11:36 PM
Thanks - just tell me they didn't cut McDowell.

They didn’t cut McDowell.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 11:43 PM

what did the tweet say?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/30/21 11:52 PM
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

what did the tweet say?

McDowell made the 53.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 02:12 AM
Let's assume for the sake of conversation that #1's will look 10-20% better than these guys.

Play #1: Maybe, he only blows up the C for 4 yds behind the LOS instead of 6.
Play #2: Maybe he penetrates only collapses the pass pro to flush the QB- and not additionally get a hand on him.
Play #3: Maybe he doesn't manhandle a double-team, and stands both up near the LOS, giving CLE a 11-10 numbers advantage.

I still like what Malik might do.
I loooove that this guy is on the team. He's mauling on the D the same way Wyatt Teller is mauling on O.

Joey Porter, Steelers LB was a player I despised with a passion. As much as I loathed him, I couldn't argue with him when he once said in an interview: "Browns are soft." Today's Browns are anything but soft.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 11:08 AM

McDowell is such a intriguing guy.

In the Atlanta game on the defensive plays I would just watch the ball and focus on the snap.

McDowell's get off was impressive. Then on his first hand strike and push he was penetrating.

To think he has not played in a professional game is amazing. Those interior guys go to war up front. Big guys in a head on collision. Balance, leverage and technique is so important.

Clearly he is a strong athletic guy. However, he must learn fast. He came to camp with no real experience at this level. I thought he was super long shot to make the roster. I was thinking "if" he got on the practice squad that would show he might have some potential.

His play the last two games was something to see.

His story this year will be fun to watch.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 11:36 AM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Let's assume for the sake of conversation that #1's will look 10-20% better than these guys.

Play #1: Maybe, he only blows up the C for 4 yds behind the LOS instead of 6.
Play #2: Maybe he penetrates only collapses the pass pro to flush the QB- and not additionally get a hand on him.
Play #3: Maybe he doesn't manhandle a double-team, and stands both up near the LOS, giving CLE a 11-10 numbers advantage.

I still like what Malik might do.
I loooove that this guy is on the team. He's mauling on the D the same way Wyatt Teller is mauling on O.

Joey Porter, Steelers LB was a player I despised with a passion. As much as I loathed him, I couldn't argue with him when he once said in an interview: "Browns are soft." Today's Browns are anything but soft.

Kind of my point that he should be able to play on equal footing with other "average" starters. And that is minimum. Maybe he does better. Only time and reps will tell.

No doubt that playing equal to means you win some, you lose some.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 01:35 PM
Really intrigued by MM as well. A couple of questions though:

1. Does anyone know the players he was going against in the NY and ATL game? Are they players that will even make those rosters?

2. It is not always in the best interest of the defense to bull rush your olineman 10 yards up field. In fact sometimes the oline allows that by design...run yourself out of the play. Sometimes you just need to hold ground and wait in the hole. Have people seen him hold ground in the hole shed the block and tackle in the preseason?
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 01:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg
Really intrigued by MM as well. A couple of questions though:

1. Does anyone know the players he was going against in the NY and ATL game? Are they players that will even make those rosters?

2. It is not always in the best interest of the defense to bull rush your olineman 10 yards up field. In fact sometimes the oline allows that by design...run yourself out of the play. Sometimes you just need to hold ground and wait in the hole. Have people seen him hold ground in the hole shed the block and tackle in the preseason?

Yes, one instance nearly resulting in a strip sack after a play-fake.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 01:52 PM
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg

My assumption is that with preseason games being a critical portion of "try-outs", players want to stick out (in a good way) to coaches. A "you wanna see something, ok I'll show you something" situation.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 01:53 PM
They were clearly back-up players. I don't know if they will make the falcons or not.

That doesn't really matter. What the coaches saw was a player who is clearly better than the guys he was playing against. That is all they can do.

In baseball you start players in A ball. The dominate there, you move them up the stairs.

Football doesn't have that, so it is what it is. What is clear is he is better than low end back-up's.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 02:03 PM
Quote:
It is not always in the best interest of the defense to bull rush your olineman 10 yards up field. In fact sometimes the oline allows that by design...run yourself out of the play. Sometimes you just need to hold ground and wait in the hole. Have people seen him hold ground in the hole shed the block and tackle in the preseason?

Seems like a pretty simple coaching technique, if you're able to dominate that well.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 08:03 PM
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 08:06 PM
I am happy for him, and I wish him the best as a Brown.

He made the most of his second chance.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 08:10 PM
Yep. May the second chance first round talent blossum here.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 08:24 PM

This will be an incredible story to follow this year.

I am excited to see how he develops over the season.

KS saying he could play end. That means alot. It speaks further to his physical talent.

We now have Clowney, Myles, and McDowell who can swing inside. Woods will have the ability to attack any place on the line to bring pressure.

The Browns pass rush could be crazy good.
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 08/31/21 11:33 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
Quote:
It is not always in the best interest of the defense to bull rush your olineman 10 yards up field. In fact sometimes the oline allows that by design...run yourself out of the play. Sometimes you just need to hold ground and wait in the hole. Have people seen him hold ground in the hole shed the block and tackle in the preseason?

Seems like a pretty simple coaching technique, if you're able to dominate that well.

I believe last year the defense was primarily a 1-Gap penetrating scheme where each DL was responsible for a gap and geting interior pass-rush was highly valued. Nothing I have seen or heard changes that notion. It sounds to me as if you're describing a 2-gap technique that will be utilized by the defense in certain situations. I think Billings is better suited for this kind of technique. But IMO it won't be the primary technique our DL will be expected to play.

I am not discounting McDowell's ability to play 2-gap though.

At MUS McDowell also lined up at 1-tech (nose) So he can actually play any position along the DL. This is going to add another dimension to the defense. And Malik Jackson can play DE so the array of fronts and the ability to stunt with our front is going to be hard to handle.
Posted By: hitt Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/01/21 12:34 AM
Don't know the "offical types of D fronts", but would love to see McDowell in Mean Joe Greene's spot...blowing thru center and guard....causing heck....Love his story, love HC and GM thinking outside the box and MAYBE finding a diamond on the scrap heap.

Hope he helps Browns and himself...GO Browns!!!
Posted By: guard dawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/01/21 10:55 AM
I didn't intend to be overly technical with my last response. It can actually be much more intricate than what I described. Apologies.

Something you mentioned though. Mean Joe lined up between center and guard. That fits where I see McDowell being very effective. That's more of a 1-tech or under tackle position. This is the same place where I think Billings will play a lot. In any event, I'm excited to see McDowell get some great pocket push from this spot.

If not right away, in time I hope McDowell gets moved around to the other line positions too. In his college career, he played all of the Dline positions. If he can do that for the Browns, along with our other studs upfront it will be a problem for opposing offenses.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/01/21 11:34 AM

By season end this guy will be something.

He has unique ability for an interior player. Once he is fully comfortable in technique and assignment.

Watch out.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/01/21 12:27 PM
man i love a good redemption story
Posted By: FATE Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/01/21 01:22 PM

SMART? He's done some dumb things in the past, but smart is walking away and realizing there's a different path.
TOUGH? Knowing full well that you made it a very hard path but still working your way back, step by step... through pain, shame and rejection.
ACCOUNTABLE? He owns his past. Not as a scarlet letter, as a catalyst for change. It's always easy to tell someone has moved forward when they respect previous mistakes... almost as if they were a gift.

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/01/21 02:04 PM
That was great to watch. I'm definitely now a fan. Thanks for posting that.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/01/21 03:31 PM
Malik McDowell’s redemption story enters the next chapter
Browns defensive tackle earns roster spot, eyes first regular-season game since being drafted in 2017.

By Thomas Moore

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/9/1/2...he-next-chapter

The Cleveland Browns signed defensive tackle Malik McDowell in May to the type of “low-risk, high-reward” contract that fans love but that rarely pays off in the end.

Following Tuesday’s initial roster cutdown, it looks like McDowell might turn out to be the exception.

McDowell showed enough potential at Michigan State to be a second-round selection in the 2017 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks. A series of off-the-field incidents, including crashing a Yamaha 4-wheeler that resulted in a head injury, being arrested four times, being suspended by the NFL, and being sued by the Seahawks for failing to repay his signing bonus, means that McDowell is still waiting to play in his first regular-season game four years after being drafted.

That should change on September 12 when the Browns open the season against the Kansas City Chiefs as McDowell earned a roster spot after a solid training camp and preseason.

It took hitting rock bottom for McDowell to realize what he was on the verge of losing, he said on Tuesday (quotes via team-provided transcript):

“While I was in jail, it gave me a lot of time to think about what I wanted to do in life and where my life was heading. That really gave me the motivation and push to try to fight back to get back what I lost. I was telling everybody I was in there with that is what I am working toward. ‘When I get out, I am going back to try to play football.’”

This past offseason the Browns were the lone team to invest the time in McDowell after all of his troubles. McDowell said he is now looking to repay general manager Andrew Berry for giving him a chance (quotes via cleveland.com):

“I told them how much I wanted it and how much I wouldn’t let them down giving me this opportunity even though I had chance after chance. And this being my last chance and everything, you all giving me this opportunity, I won’t make you look bad. (Andrew Berry), in particular, giving me this opportunity, bringing me in here, sticking his neck out for me and everything. So definitely don’t want to let nobody down.”

McDowell has cleared the first major hurdle in his comeback by making the Browns roster. The next obstacle comes in the regular season when he will consistently go up against starters across the line from him.

Redemption stories do not always play out well in the NFL, but McDowell is off to a good start in rewriting his story.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/02/21 01:43 AM
Thanks for that video. I’m really starting to like this guy, and he deserves a lot of credit for hauling himself out of the gutter.

We were the only team that seemed willing to give him a shot and hopefully it pays off, for Malik and for us. I bet his mom LOVES the Browns. smile
Posted By: jaybird Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/02/21 02:03 AM
Good for him! Praying he does well... but man... sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and hopefully has himself going in the right direction....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/02/21 10:09 AM
It's a good story. Here is to hoping the story gets even better!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/02/21 12:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
man i love a good redemption story

Same here,, hope the kid has his head on straight..
Posted By: hitt Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/03/21 06:49 PM
Not a kid, he's 25 and spent time in PRISON. He probably grew up lots in there. Hope the man has turned the corner and has 'real gainful employment' with the Browns for many Productive Years....Go Browns!!!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/03/21 10:46 PM
Not a kid, he's 25 and spent time in PRISON. He probably grew up lots in there. Hope the man has turned the corner and has 'real gainful employment' with the Browns for many Productive Years....Go Browns!!!

Compared to me, he's a kid.... But yeah, I'm sure hoping his time in the can will help him appreciate what he has in front of him.. Clearly, he didn't get it before...

Picture this, Berry picks this kid up off the scrap heap of Football.. and look at this, he's got a job. A job that he had to earn....

I like a good story,, and this is one of those.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/03/21 11:21 PM

My four kids are all in their 30s. At 25 you are more kid than adult IMHO.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/03/21 11:31 PM
I agree OCD. 40-50 years ago you were grown up at 25 not anymore. 75-80 years ago you were grown up at 20. Just the way things have evolved over time.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/04/21 12:05 AM

Myles is 25.

He is 6'4" listed at 272 lbs.
================================

Malik McDowell is 25

He is 6'6" listed at 295 lbs.
===============================

Imagine those two in a boxing ring. Talk about heavyweights.

As a average normal size person these guys look like Hercules.

You watch Myles workouts and go "how is that possible?"

McDowell;
It would be some big deal if this guy dominates.
Originally Posted By: bonefish

This will be an incredible story to follow this year.

I am excited to see how he develops over the season.

KS saying he could play end. That means alot. It speaks further to his physical talent.

We now have Clowney, Myles, and McDowell who can swing inside. Woods will have the ability to attack any place on the line to bring pressure.

The Browns pass rush could be crazy good.

I have watched football most of my life and I have never seen a man take on a center and plant him in the QB's lap then when they double team him he works the double team over as well. These guys he went against might not make an NFL roster but man alive this is someone with some schooling who can be an unbelievable force right up the gut. This man is very special I guarantee it and I could give a squat who he did it against and he did it again and again... He was so dominate in a game where teams NEVER make adjustments the Falcons had to double team him he was so disruptive.

This guy has monster written all over him. I promise you with Garret and Clowney and this McDowell on the inside QB's are going to have about 1. to 1.5 seconds to get rid of the ball or they are going to be faced with some punishment. I am so excited to see this guy in a game I salivate at what is about to unfold.

We are in for a treat and this cat is going to be a big part of this team this season. Imagine Clowney and Garret on the outside and JOK coming from God knows where all at once QB's are going to get lit up and it starts week 1 in KC.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/04/21 04:16 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I agree OCD. 40-50 years ago you were grown up at 25 not anymore. 75-80 years ago you were grown up at 20. Just the way things have evolved over time.

Sadly, I was more of an adult at 15 than they were at 21. And yes, I think most of it was the times we grew up in vs. them.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/04/21 05:50 PM

While watching the Falcon game. I texted my son "did you see McDowell the last two plays?"

He responded "Oh yeah."

He is a huge fan and really knows the game.

We are very close. He married a girl from Australia/New Zealand. He converted her to being a Browns fan. It really cracks me up. She had no knowledge of American football at all. Now they have a friendship with Nate Zugura. Long story as to how that happened.

Anyway we were talking about McDowell. It is such an unusual case. It is the type of story that the media falls all over. If he balls out. He will be "the buzz."

It is interesting that Conklin played against him in college. He said this guy is for real.

I will be watching him closely. First time through I just watch the game. Second viewing I really concentrate on the details of individual performances.

I am so excited to watch this season. We have so many good players. Lots of individuals to zoom in on.

Clowney and Myles. Odell and Jarvis. Chubb and Hunt.
Newsome and JOK. DPJ and Njoku. JJ3 and Walker.

As posted in another thread Baker IMO will have a giant year. Not like record passing yardage but high completion and low turnovers.

I read that if he gets 3500 yards this year. He join Peyton Manning as the only players to throw for 3,500 pass yards in each of their first four seasons in the league.

That is elite company.

So much to look forward to.

Happy you are doing well and living your dream.
Thumbs up pal.
I actually noticed the guy during the game, it was what the hell was that oh no he did it again, wow.

I sure am living my Browns dream and I hope tabber is Ok I don't hear much from him and that has me concerned.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/04/21 08:04 PM

It was during the game that I called. You could not miss it. Jumped off the screen. I was like DAMN dude.

I know.
So am I worried. He pops in here and there. Sure hope he is better.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/04/21 09:33 PM
This is the story I'll be monitoring closely. As a person in recovery, I recognize some of the things he said in his presser as being in the recovery mindset. He's in a vulnerable position. It's easy to keep to a program as you work your life back to a successful setting. Then you start thinking; I'm back, I've won...I can have a drink with friends... No, you can't. And it doesn't help that your friends don't understand that.

I think it's possible that McDowell can be a truly inspirational success story. But it's also possible that he stumbles and falls. I hope he succeeds, becomes the football player he was meant to be. I admit, part of that is selfish because he's a Brown. But most of that is wanting to see a fellow substance addict overcome the massive obstacles.

And think of watching our DL with Malik at full potential between Myles and Clowney. Who's the 4th? DAYUM!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/04/21 11:11 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

And think of watching our DL with Malik at full potential between Myles and Clowney. Who's the 4th? DAYUM!

It'll be a pair of Malik's in the Middle.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/04/21 11:25 PM
Like a music group; Jurassic Clown & the Maliks
Posted By: bonefish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/05/21 01:15 AM
perfect
Posted By: hitt Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/06/21 01:13 PM
You are right it's a good story right now. We all have our own demons- Gordon's was MJ and other things, lots of us have juice problem, others sex/porn, we all have something eating at us and have trouble controlling....human condition. Sure hope the support system works and he succeeds....time will tell. GO Browns!!!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 05:27 AM
Malik McDowell could be up for Rookie of the year, and the pro-bowl. Should be, based on play, prejudices to his story may hinder it but that barrier can be overcome.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 01:43 PM
Would he be eligible for RotY? Honest question.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 01:45 PM
i would think so
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 01:50 PM
He was on an NFL roster prior to this year. Did he accrue a season (probably not, I believe the story was he didn't even get to play in a game)? Even if he didn't accrue a season, is he still technically considered a rookie (can you be a non-rookie with 0 accrued seasons? I don't know but I can see it both ways)?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 01:56 PM
He shows as having 1 accrued season on NFL.com, so he's not a Rookie. Rookies show as Experience: 0.

My guess is that he was carried on the active roster for enough games in that first season for the season to accrue.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 02:00 PM
Could be ‘comeback player of the year’ material.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 02:02 PM
In the end, who cares?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 02:41 PM
Well, I do, in a way.
I don't care what the title is, but if he wins something like this, that means he has played so well that he can't be ignored by anyone. For a guy that we brought in as a street free agent, that's a pretty big deal, and it means we have yet one more piece of the puzzle solved.

On that, I think Comeback Player of the Year might be the most apropos, given his circumstances and that he isn't a Rookie. DPOY is not at all likely unless he somehow surpasses Aaron Donald.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 03:22 PM
For a guy that we brought in as a street free agent, that's a pretty big deal, and it means we have yet one more piece of the puzzle solved.

More kudos and accolades to Berry.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/15/21 08:14 PM
Well, I do, in a way.
I don't care what the title is, but if he wins something like this, that means he has played so well that he can't be ignored by anyone. For a guy that we brought in as a street free agent, that's a pretty big deal, and it means we have yet one more piece of the puzzle solved.

On that, I think Comeback Player of the Year might be the most apropos, given his circumstances and that he isn't a Rookie. DPOY is not at all likely unless he somehow surpasses Aaron Donald.

I agree about playing well. No doubt we want that. I just don't care if he gets a balloon at seasons end or not.
Posted By: Swish Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/16/21 05:25 PM
i get what you mean, but i actually do care if he could pull off CPOY.

not only would that be a huge accomplishment individually, but think about how that helps the perception of our organization around the league.

we're actually stable enough to take players with issues and help turn not just their lives, but their careers around? that helps with PR, FA, and just overall atmosphere of this team. it would be awesome if he can pull that off on our way to a deep playoff run.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Malik McDowell, Browns kind of guy - 09/17/21 12:28 AM
The only thing is they are forbidden to read this website, it may trigger bad behavior.
In a big picture way McDowell is the type of player that allows a lot of things to happen. For me number one is you cannot handle him with one O Linemen he will manhandle anyone who attempts to control him with one blocker.

#1-That allows our LBers to get in the gaps clean and shut down the running game.

#2-It creates holes in the gaps for us to run thru and to the QB.

This guy is a monster for us, he needs to keep his head straight he is an awesome player, now he needs to finish the deal so he wins and we win.
© DawgTalkers.net