DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Offensive X factor - 06/06/21 02:00 PM

We are all fully aware of the offensive weapons on the team.

Is there a X factor? Someone we may be overlooking.

David Njoku. Hard to believe he was drafted in the first round of 2017. He is only 24.

The reality is. He has not performed as a first pick - Yet.

There has been background noise. He wanted to be traded. Then no. Then 3rd as a TE after the drafting of Harrison Bryant.

There has never been a question of his athletic talent. He can run fast and jump high. However, he has not proven (yet) that he should win any good hands award.

He is now starting his fifth season as a Brown. And, not until this past season has he shown he could block someone.

Can David put it all together?

This could be his year. He has matured. He has learned how to prepare and what he must do. He is a part of a very talented offense. And he may be poised to play to play a bigger role.

Baker is not afraid to throw to him. He knows Njoku is a nightmare matchup for linebackers. I have always felt he should be redzone monster. He is 6'4" and can jump to the rafters.

David has a great opotunity this year to prove to the whole NFL that he can be a premier tight end.

We know all about all are other weapons.

Is David Njoku the X- factor?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Offensive X factor - 06/06/21 02:56 PM
He definitely is not until he proves that he is; and he definitely has not done that, yet.

This is a Make or Break year for him. He either becomes our Travis Kelce - the TE that is reliable to the point of being able to be counted on when the chips are down - or he will be allowed to go in free agency. It will net us a nice compensatory pick and we can replace his typical production quite easily with another Harrison Bryant.

The X-Factor that I expect, is either Hunt or the new kid, Felton or whatever his name is.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/06/21 03:14 PM

This morning NFL Network had the KC game on.

Njoku played well. He caught some big passes and to my surprise. He blocked well. He had good technique and was effective.

In the past I thought he was the worst blocker I had seen. Just horrible. He got beat so bad it was embarassing.

There are reasons why he was not cut loose. The main reasons are belief in his potential, and improved performance.

Sometimes guys who are amazing athletes take their talent for granted. They believe themselves to be so good that they can just show up. And that their talent will deliver.

That does not work. If you are not commited to improve. You will get beat.

I can not say for certain how David will perform this year.
However, I am sure he now knows how much is on the line. Be that with Cleveland or another team.

I do not think that motivation is needed. He could really put a stamp on his career. Playing a key role with a team that has high expectations.

I hope he delivers.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Offensive X factor - 06/06/21 03:19 PM
Njuku is capable of great things.. Not sure what's stopping him from achieving them.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/06/21 05:25 PM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Njuku is capable of great things.. Not sure what's stopping him from achieving them.

fans expectations

he is growing into his role and becoming a good TE. it just took time
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/06/21 05:48 PM
Yes, but his make up is horrid.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Offensive X factor - 06/06/21 08:08 PM
We say that every year and he ends up doing a censored word.

Pimp him if you want. For me, I wouldn't care if we cut him.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 01:13 AM
He annoys the messoutta me.

We get this mediocre production from him on a regular, but then, he'll make a highlight reel play or have a monster game. And then... back to the same old.

Dude's a tease.
So far.

I hope he can turn the corner this year. This O can be devastating with efficient, effective TE play.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 10:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
He annoys the messoutta me.

We get this mediocre production from him on a regular, but then, he'll make a highlight reel play or have a monster game. And then... back to the same old.

Dude's a tease.
So far.

I hope he can turn the corner this year. This O can be devastating with efficient, effective TE play.

The deal is that Hooper has met that criteria. I think one area of weakness in baker is that throwing to the TE seems to be a throw of last resort. When Hooper had Ryan throwing to him, he was catching 80 balls a season and going to pro bowls.

It's hard to rack up devastating numbers if the QB isn't throwing the ball your way except as the 4th option.

Joke is last on my depth chart.

Another point...this is Jokes contract year. I don't like it when a player more or less has sucked, then all of a sudden shows up in the contract year.

Does that mean the light just came on, or does that mean the guy has been free riding for the pervious 3 or 4 years?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 11:56 AM

Here is the thing. He improved last year from the year before.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NjokDa00.htm

In 2018 he had 56 rec. for 639 yards. That is a decent year for TE.

He started last year in the doghouse. Hooper was signed and then they drafted Bryant. Him and his agent saw a deadend.

By the end of the season he was blocking and he made some good plays.

That is why I asked the question. He could become the primary TE. It will not be based just upon receiver production but all around TE play.

The Brown offense is based upon play action. Two TE's is a formation that will have a good percentage of plays. Off that formation the TE must block and be capable of catching the ball.

Hooper and Bryant came in as guys who could block, run good routes, and catch the ball. Njoku has learned to block. Of the three he is the most dangerous receiver.

His career going forward will be based upon this years tape. And that will be based upon being a complete player.

It is on him. He could be the X factor because if he blocks; he is a big target who is a hard guy to cover.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 12:09 PM
Bone you picked up on what I said about Njoku the other day didn't you?

Njoku has the best raw skills of our TE's, has the most up side of any of our TE's, and if he can stay on the course he was on last season he can be way more then the X factor. He is capable of being not just the Browns number one TE but one of the top TE's in the NFL. His skill set is off the charts, his head finally seems to be in the right place NOW.

The only other concern when it comes to Njoku is his health and that nobody can do much about.

Will see but Njoku can be the Kelce of the Browns and quite possibly better then Kelce, it truly is on him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 12:42 PM

Because of how diverse the Browns offense is. I doubt that any single player will have monster numbers.

There are only x amount of plays.

Touches and targets are about efficiency. That is what Kevin strives for. Keep them guessing. Run many options off the same looks. But the ball will get spread around. The point is do not allow a defense to center on taking away any single option.

When you put Odell back in the offense. Damn there are so many options. There is no single way to play defense against the Browns. Chubbhunt alone is dynamic because both can run and catch. Our third and fourth receivers can be a
a possession receiver (Higgins). Or, Schwartz can be the vertical bomb. Add TE production and trick plays.

Njoku is that seam guy with length and speed.

For me I have always felt he could not be covered in the red zone because I doubt there is a defender in the league that can jump like him.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 12:48 PM
Quote:

The deal is that Hooper has met that criteria. I think one area of weakness in baker is that throwing to the TE seems to be a throw of last resort. When Hooper had Ryan throwing to him, he was catching 80 balls a season and going to pro bowls.

Ryan never had the weapons that Mayfield has..

He had Julio.... and Hooper.. Then what?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 01:24 PM
IIRC, he always had at least a decent running game (which became very good when Shanny was there with Freeman).
Posted By: Hammer Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 02:21 PM
uhhh, there's a Calvin Ridley there, I believe.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 02:22 PM
LOL - better than Kelce - sure.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 02:34 PM
Originally Posted By: Hammer
uhhh, there's a Calvin Ridley there, I believe.

And Roddy White (at least 1150 yards and at least 7 TDs in five straight seasons with Ryan)
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 03:13 PM
Hooper is just fine.

In ATL he got more touches because he was the only TE. Their offense ran through their WR's.

In 2019, he had 75 catches for 780+ yards and 6 TD. A 10.5 yd/catch avg.
Pro Football Reference only lists one other TE with catches (Stocker), that I can discern, and he had 8. That means that nothing was spread around there. It was all Hoop, all the time, at the TE position.

In 2020, he had 46 catches for 435 yards and 4 TD. A 9.5 yd/catch avg.
Meanwhile, Njoku had 19 catches (2TD) and Bryant had 24 (3TD).
His rate of TD's per catch went up dramatically while having his touches almost halved because we run a ton of two and three TE looks. It's just a different offense. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with Baker or Ryan.

Kendall Lamm, by the way, had more TD catches than KhaDarel Hodge.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 03:56 PM
Agree that Njoku can be the x-factor. He has the most talent and upside of any TE on our roster.

This guy broke down the numbers and rankings for our TEs per PFF in various categories...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 04:27 PM
Njoku’s blocking was much improved. He was a pretty good player for us last year.

I don’t expect him to be back here, but I think he’ll be a great asset for us this season
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 05:19 PM

Interesting. Thanks for posting that.
Posted By: FATE Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 07:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Agree that Njoku can be the x-factor. He has the most talent and upside of any TE on our roster.

This guy broke down the numbers and rankings for our TEs per PFF in various categories...

Trying to figure out how in the world their overall grade would be so close if Njoku clearly won every category?? Were some categories left out of the above analysis? Weird.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 07:10 PM
Thank you for posting that graphic, though... I think it smells a little bit. It's basically saying that Njoku was far and away our best TE but started the year at #3 behind a rookie, and only got playing time ramped up when Bryant got the dropsies and Hooper was injured (appendectomy?). It sounds like there's some cherry-picking going on, at least.

That said, Njoku did noticeably improve by the end of the year. Even I noticed that, and where my limited football knowledge doesn't allow me to notice (pass and runblocking) the #s spoke for themselves. Overall, though... I'm just a little tired of having the same pre-season/TC conversation about Njoku ("this is totally going to be the year he breaks through").
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Offensive X factor - 06/07/21 07:48 PM
I guess my eyes don't lie after all. thumbsup
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/08/21 04:12 AM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Because of how diverse the Browns offense is. I doubt that any single player will have monster numbers.

There are only x amount of plays.

Touches and targets are about efficiency. That is what Kevin strives for. Keep them guessing. Run many options off the same looks. But the ball will get spread around. The point is do not allow a defense to center on taking away any single option.

When you put Odell back in the offense. Damn there are so many options. There is no single way to play defense against the Browns. Chubbhunt alone is dynamic because both can run and catch. Our third and fourth receivers can be a
a possession receiver (Higgins). Or, Schwartz can be the vertical bomb. Add TE production and trick plays.

Njoku is that seam guy with length and speed.

For me I have always felt he could not be covered in the red zone because I doubt there is a defender in the league that can jump like him.

In my humble opinion, this is the post that most echoes how I see this team.

CLE's O has been built to succeed no mater what D it faces. A team with a smothering secondary is going to get a faceful of Chubb & Hunt to soften them up. A D that specializes in stopping the run have a ton of worries facing this team's aerial package.

I think we're going to see less-than gaudy numbers from our pass catchers, but tons of fireworks on the field. And that is by design. With so many weapons, it's a safe bet that all of our guys will get smaller numbers than they would get playing for a less stacked NFL team.

Balance will be the identity of CLE going forward. We can toss it; we can grind it. We can game plan from a position of advantage, because we have elite talent at all impact positions. CLE is uniquely poised to become the NFL's universal "Oh, s#!" entry on the season's schedule.

I think the most conventional 'big numbers' will come from Chubb (>1k) and Baker (too many targets to not set records). The rest are perennially hungry Big Dawgs routinely fed by the Stefanski scheme.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Offensive X factor - 06/08/21 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Quote:

Ryan never had the weapons that Mayfield has..

He had Julio.... and Hooper.. Then what?

I see that others answered the "who else" question you had. That is easily found by checking the team roster. It's not hard and doesn't take very long.

And in the end, it doesn't matter. The fact remains he was a pro bowl TE a few times before he came to Cleveland. Feed him the ball and he will produce. That is all one needs to know.
Posted By: eotab Re: Offensive X factor - 06/08/21 12:22 PM
don't forget all the young offensive players pretty much had a new play book every season this is the first season that they will continue with the same offense. Its amazing when you think about it.

Njoku poses a good One on One in the Red zone especially in the end zone.

jmho
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/08/21 10:14 PM
Or Jerry Rice.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/08/21 10:19 PM
But that was obvious 6 months after they drafted him, but nobody wants to talk like it for all this time.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/08/21 10:30 PM
Is there an X Factor someone we may be overlooking?

I think, Connor Davis TE.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/09/21 11:22 PM

When was the last time we saw anything like this? Bake's basically got the entire WR core down there putting in work.

Baker's just built different and has that leadership and moxie to get us to the SuperBowl
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/09/21 11:58 PM

This may seem insignificant but I like it.

It is a sign of commitment by them all. The work helps but the unity of purpose is even more important.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 12:43 AM
With another abbreviated preseason, this extra time together could have them firing on all cylinders coming INTO camp. Imagine them being in mid season form for game #1 or #3...

Between the combination of moneyball management, the players all buying in and wanting to be here to win, and the teams leadership at the player level, it seems like we are witnessing the perfect storm forming... I just hope it leads to a superbowl and not yet another letdown.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 12:53 AM
That is all of our TE's and all of the primary WR's.

You don't see this unless they're all All In.
And, to note: OBJ is working out.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 10:46 AM
I like the fact the main players are in their own group.

For them it is less about learning systems like some of the younger guys. It's about learning timing and trust. It's about learning the non verbal signals between QB and receiver. Those guys are getting in more valuable work in half the time then if they were in Berea alternating reps.

Having coaches around is valuable for some of the guys, but for these guys they don't need that for what they are doing out in Texas.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 12:55 PM
At the risk of sounding like a wet blanket, I'd love to hear their explanation as to why Austin, TX but not Berea, OH for workouts. Regardless, them working out together gets a big thumbs up from me.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 12:57 PM
I really wanted Njoku when we drafted him. REALLY wanted him. He's a beast, but started out, as we all know, fairly rocky. He's shown improvement, and with another year under the system and with another year of maturity, (as you mentioned he's only 24) we may see him finally develop into the weapon we've (I've) been hoping for. One of the biggest thinks he has going for him is the work ethic and attitudes of those around him, so this may be his year.

However, my X-factor pick is Anthony Schwartz. I wish he could be down there in Texas building chemistry with Baker & Co., but we'll have to wait for camp for that, I guess. He, IMO, can become the forgotten man on the field, saddled with a CB that has absolutely no chance of covering him. I'm looking for some loooong TDs from him, some spectacular plays, and some big chunk plays. The kid has X-factor written all over him if he develops the way we're hoping.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 01:33 PM

Everytime Schwartz is mentioned by staff. He is always described as very intelligent.

He may take a year though to really get his feet wet in a NFL system.

I could see some packages set up for him but I don't see many reps this year. They may use him on some Jet sweeps and flea flickers. Along with some deep verticals.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 02:23 PM
Posted this with my last post in camp surprise thread. Moving that part over here.

2 people that I would LOVE to see become X-factors that I haven't seen mentioned on here are OBJ and Hunt. OBJ getting yards/TDs that put him back in his proper place among the elite WRs would be a huge boost to an already potent offense. I think Mayfield's progress/comfort within the offense makes this development possible.
Hunt, IMO, was slightly underutilized down the stretch last season. He doesn't pose a major dropoff in running talent to Chubb (he has a rushing title, after all) and brings his own unique "flavor" to running the ball. I really felt for him in the KC game... he got VERY few rushing attempts and you could see he was juiced to play against his old team. I know there are only so many snaps on offense and we have a lot of mouths to feed, but a two-headed monster of Chubb and Hunt in an offense that is greatly based on showing you one look and then giving you something else has simply too much potential to ignore.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 02:46 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
At the risk of sounding like a wet blanket, I'd love to hear their explanation as to why Austin, TX but not Berea, OH for workouts. Regardless, them working out together gets a big thumbs up from me.

An understated benefit of them being off on their own away from Berea is that they aren't taking any time or reps away from the other guys that are there.

Every last guy that is in Austin has his roster spot locked up.
Every last one of them was here last year and knows the system and is more at the point of working on nuance than the basics.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 03:47 PM
There was an article posted on how the coaches were working closely with the rookies and the newly signed FA's. I think that's the primary focus for the OTA's and that these guys working on their own actually helps take away any distraction it may take from the intended goal of OTA's.
Posted By: eotab Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 03:59 PM
maybe the Texas Laws of groups meeting together are different than Ohio??? Also who is our Leader on O - Baker and that is where he lives. Possibly there are also restrictions for them working out in OTAs where they can work together and do more things with their play book then if they were in BEREA let the NEW D players get their one on one time and rookies as well.
The vets will be getting deep into the play book!! And timing!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/10/21 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

An understated benefit of them being off on their own away from Berea is that they aren't taking any time or reps away from the other guys that are there.

Every last guy that is in Austin has his roster spot locked up.
Every last one of them was here last year and knows the system and is more at the point of working on nuance than the basics.

and Baker lives there
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/11/21 12:39 AM
Njoku has been spotty at best. He will have to show me - obviously I hope he does - to make a believer out of me.
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/11/21 01:05 PM

Everytime Schwartz is mentioned by staff. He is always described as very intelligent.

He may take a year though to really get his feet wet in a NFL system.

I could see some packages set up for him but I don't see many reps this year. They may use him on some Jet sweeps and flea flickers. Along with some deep verticals.

You're probably right in terms of reps because they're likely to go with known factors (barring injury), but what I'll be looking for are those times when he does get the ball to be those wow moments that shock the world.

Thinking more about it and defining an offensive X-factor as actual game changers when the ball is in their hands leading directly to victories, I probably have to go with Chubb & Juice.

On D rethinking it I'll go with Myles and (I hope) JOK.

And how about the Browns having more than one? Yeah, how about that? ooo brownie
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/16/21 09:10 AM
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

However, my X-factor pick is Anthony Schwartz. I wish he could be down there in Texas building chemistry with Baker & Co., but we'll have to wait for camp for that, I guess. He, IMO, can become the forgotten man on the field, saddled with a CB that has absolutely no chance of covering him. I'm looking for some loooong TDs from him, some spectacular plays, and some big chunk plays. The kid has X-factor written all over him if he develops the way we're hoping.

I believe;
The problem is it will take 6-7 years for him to get there. Does any NFL team have the timeframe to develop a ...(you know what I'm about to say.)

We've seen this over the years, there are players sprinkled about the league, they can't get to the NFL and then learn the game.
Everybody makes mistakes, teams make mistakes, individuals make mistakes, the sooner they recognize and correct the problem.

What is the problem? I believe Anthony Schwartz is never going to be a great player for the Cleveland Browns, (well unless they sign him after he spends 5 years of development on another team),
and he's never going to be a "good" player on the Cleveland Browns, and he's not going to spend much time being an "ok" player on the Cleveland Browns.

In Fact he should be in the CFL or something. But the problem is, we'll have to go through all these weeks, or however time increments, where others see it play out,
because The NFL is not set up to take a track star and teach them how to play Wr. When they didn't turn into a Wr when they had 3 years at any college, to show the ehh characteristics of what NFL teams need.

So, perhaps, the negative Offensive X-factor is to in any way rely on Schwartz to do anything of note before 2024, and by then what team will he be doing it for.
frown
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Offensive X factor - 06/16/21 01:46 PM
What do you base all of that on, or is it just a "hunch"?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/16/21 09:24 PM
It's not a hunch let's see what the evidence will show.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Offensive X factor - 06/17/21 01:03 AM
So, it's based on nothing.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Offensive X factor - 06/17/21 02:30 AM
I think the X-factor is Odell. If he is healthy and clicks with Baker, things could get really fun around here.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/17/21 11:13 AM
That is a good point.

We have not seen the best of Baker and Odell.

If that happens. Look out.

I know that Odell is very talented. He has the hands. But he is really good at separation. Getting that step and body position to make plays.

When you have a OL like we have. And, you have the running backs we have. Play action is deadly.

You have to honor the run. That opens up routes somewhere.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Offensive X factor - 06/17/21 12:38 PM
Quote:
I believe;
The problem is it will take 6-7 years for him to get there. Does any NFL team have the timeframe to develop a ...(you know what I'm about to say.)

Seriously? If it would take anyone that long, they'd never get the chance, they'd be out of the NFL by then
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Offensive X factor - 06/17/21 12:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
I think the X-factor is Odell. If he is healthy and clicks with Baker, things could get really fun around here.
My apologies if this was your intention, but I think the X-factor is really Baker here.
He wasn't comfy in the offense, he was forcing the ball to OBJ and just generally not seeing things well. OBJ goes down and Baker finally gets himself worked into the O. IMO, Baker has always been a distributor... he definitely likes certain guys and they can become his go-to (him and Landry seem to get really hot in stretches).
OBJ is who he is. It was Baker that had to get comfortable out there. I don't think one significantly affected the other, but it will be interesting to see how OBJ can add himself back into the O now that it got itself clicking.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Offensive X factor - 06/17/21 01:37 PM
Quote:
but I think the X-factor is really Baker here.

Agreed. And it a sense, it almost has to be Baker.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/17/21 03:59 PM

Kevin Stefanski On Pre-Snap Cadence As How Cleveland Browns Offense Can Get Better In 2021

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...ving-166623887/
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/17/21 04:23 PM
Once a system gets installed and a sense of stability within that system becomes normal, the nuances of the game can start to be implemented. The foundation comes first and then building upon that foundation comes next.
Posted By: eotab Re: Offensive X factor - 06/18/21 01:47 PM
Hear you've been exclaiming we need some more offensive talent at WR.

OBJ btw is one of the most talented WR in the NFL.

So we have Schwartz who was on a running team so we haven't gotten a lot of experience so the term RAW has been used.

But what we got is a steal. The kid can run routes he has good hands and blazing speed. And you tell us that he is basically a bust because it will take him 5-6 years to learn what he has to.

Actually you are correct in some ways but what you have failed to recognize is that its not a 5-6 years and blam kazam he just come out of know where with talent.

Every year he will get better and be used more often. It is then that we will see his talents emerge. I cannot wait to see him in a hurry up Offense no huddle with 4 WRs and a TE or RB. If RB then we will see the Jett motion maybe a pitch along with 9 routes and O routes alike. OBJ and he will have the speed and Landry the go to guy on 3rd down. He fits...and not a waste
jmho
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/18/21 02:08 PM
Browns LB Andre Davis, developed into better after year 4. Raiders WR. Rahgib Ishmail from about 1991 had a career arch that would have benefited skipping his first team.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/18/21 02:17 PM
I'd love to be wrong I just don't believe that I am, and I want to see the Browns win even if it's admitting; (Whatever!)
When you say in A. Schwartz we got a steal, now that brings a smile to my face. grin

That may be about as wacky as some of the things I let myself type.
Oh I'd LOVE to see it, I'd LOVE to see it be a steal the Schwartz pick, rofl that's going to happen.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Offensive X factor - 06/18/21 10:18 PM
Auburn seems like a running team, but in looking up the play calls, they only ran a handful of times more than they passed.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/19/21 12:02 PM

We are all fully aware of the offensive weapons on the team.

Is there a X factor? Someone we may be overlooking.

They may be overlooking the contributions of the Tight Ends after the top 2 Njoku and Hooper.

Harrison Bryant, Stephen Carlson, Jordan Franks, Connor Davis,

The Browns use 4 tight ends often enough that this must not be overlooked. Harrison Bryant for one is someone that needs to show development and improvement.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/19/21 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Auburn seems like a running team, but in looking up the play calls, they only ran a handful of times more than they passed.

While that's very true I also found they spread the ball around a lot when they did pass. Some QB's and systems tend to focus on their #1 and sometimes #2 WR which only leaves crumbs for the rest of the group. Auburn not so much.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Offensive X factor - 06/19/21 07:21 PM
I see Harrison Bryant having a BIG year ...
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Offensive X factor - 06/19/21 08:52 PM
I think we drafted WR/RB Demetric Felton to be the X factor guy based on his skill set. I can see him coming in on 3rd downs and jet sweeping or working the middle of the field. He is a pretty damn good running back so he and Hunt on the field at the same time will certainly give a D coordinators some issues to think about. After reading several posts about WR 3rd Rd pick A Schwartz, I think he also can be guy that has a few plays designated for his blazing speed. It seems that some of our fan base forgets we aint the same ole Browns. We can afford to develop some players, we no longer need to have Draft picks in RD's 3-6 be day one significant starters. We are a playoff team that will Draft to develop now. THIS IS A GREAT THING !!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Offensive X factor - 06/20/21 12:43 PM
I agree. The days of our first 4 picks being counted on for much are over.

As for Schwartz, I see him getting a lot of action, especially early in the season. I can see us trying to hit him deep early in the season and in games to establish that fact.

I think the big key with him will be his ability to go up and take it away from a defender. Not every thrown ball is going to be in perfect stride. Sometimes the QB just tosses it up there to let his receiver make the play.

If we can establish the deep ball with Schwartz early in the season, that will carry over the rest of the season. Teams won't be able to cover him 1 on 1 leaving something else open.

That or the defender is going to have to play well off the ball, leaving open a pitch and catch to Schwartz and 6 yard gain them on the outside all game long..
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Offensive X factor - 06/20/21 01:09 PM
Quote:
As for Schwartz, I see him getting a lot of action, especially early in the season.

I like the possible upside of Schwartz, but I am not sure about him seeing a lot of action early. That is of course, we catch the injury bug. I think AS is still a pretty raw player that will need to refine his skills.

Now, Stefanski might try to leverage that speed and do some creative play calling, but I think Schwartz will slowly move into a role as the season goes on.

OBJ
Landry
Higgins
DPJ
Hodge
.....not to mention the propensity to use TEs

And, as shown above, I think there are a lot of mouths to feed as well. I hope AS hits the ground running, but think it will happen over a longer period of time.

We'll see how training camp unfolds too as I think I saw something where Priefer would like AS to turn into a KR. That might be the quickest route to seeing the field often.

I think the selection of Schwartz was more of a long term play than anything. Essentially, to see if he can force himself up the depth chart be a cog in the WR group if/when decisions are made on OBJ and/or Landry.
Posted By: hitt Re: Offensive X factor - 06/20/21 02:55 PM
All the stuff you mentioned seems correct, BUT with the best O line last year in League AND best running back set in league- I hope, personally, we run it down their throats. With all the air weapons, the box should be open. And, another year of Coach Callahan's teaching....yes, shorten games by beating them up with both our lines- O and D lines could be SUPER. Go Browns!!!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/20/21 03:01 PM
You run it down the throats of teams who are weak against the run and pass it against teams with questionable secondaries. A good coach always exploits his opponents weakness.

A good OL pass blocks as well as run blocks. You are correct we have a great RB tandem. We also have a great QB and WR corp. We've been built for balance and the ability to both run and pass. To focus on one and not the other is to waste valuable resources.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Offensive X factor - 06/20/21 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Quote:
As for Schwartz, I see him getting a lot of action, especially early in the season.

I like the possible upside of Schwartz, but I am not sure about him seeing a lot of action early. That is of course, we catch the injury bug. I think AS is still a pretty raw player that will need to refine his skills.

Now, Stefanski might try to leverage that speed and do some creative play calling, but I think Schwartz will slowly move into a role as the season goes on.

OBJ
Landry
Higgins
DPJ
Hodge
.....not to mention the propensity to use TEs

And, as shown above, I think there are a lot of mouths to feed as well. I hope AS hits the ground running, but think it will happen over a longer period of time.

We'll see how training camp unfolds too as I think I saw something where Priefer would like AS to turn into a KR. That might be the quickest route to seeing the field often.

I think the selection of Schwartz was more of a long term play than anything. Essentially, to see if he can force himself up the depth chart be a cog in the WR group if/when decisions are made on OBJ and/or Landry.

What you say makes sense, and by no means will Schwartz be a starter, but I do think we will try to establish him as a deep threat early in the season. I think most of his value will be as a decoy that has to factor in to the defensive play calling.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/20/21 03:44 PM
If Those players are going to be good they need to get good and stay good.

If there is no evidence they are any good then I don't see how holding onto someone makes sense in the long run.

( John Cooper OSU HC. would often say, "If a dogs' gonna bite he's gonna bite as a pup.")
( Earl Bruce OSU HC. would often say, " Dance with the one who brought ya.")
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/20/21 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

I hope H Bryant can have a couple more big games, he had a couple of big games last year but it seemed very limited in all the other outings, so I hope he can have a couple more

big games than he did last year, and by doing that it just turns into, what seems like, a better year.

If they find a way to, maybe get a couple more, maybe get him used more effectively in maybe 4 big games instead of one or two,
then what that turns in to, is

a three headed monster at TE at least as a planning factor for opponents.

The Tight Ends are very important to the success, no doubt, no matter how they're using them play by play.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/20/21 03:56 PM
Does Schwartz have any upside?
Does he have a floor first.

Gordon Ramsey often says, on cooking, don't try to do anything fancy until you've mastered the basics.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 08:19 AM

This morning NFL Network had the KC game on.

Njoku played well. He caught some big passes and to my surprise. He blocked well. He had good technique and was effective.

In the past I thought he was the worst blocker I had seen. Just horrible. He got beat so bad it was embarassing.

There are reasons why he was not cut loose. The main reasons are belief in his potential, and improved performance.

Sometimes guys who are amazing athletes take their talent for granted. They believe themselves to be so good that they can just show up. And that their talent will deliver.

That does not work. If you are not commited to improve. You will get beat.

I can not say for certain how David will perform this year.
However, I am sure he now knows how much is on the line. Be that with Cleveland or another team.

I do not think that motivation is needed. He could really put a stamp on his career. Playing a key role with a team that has high expectations.

I hope he delivers.

At the end of the day DN will decide how his story ends, that is clear.

But I truly and I have begun to beat this drum believe that the real strength of this team and organization leads in one direction, player development. There are of course steps that take place like identifying players and talent and seeing how that fits with team needs and then measuring up a player and seeing how they fit that need.

When it comes to DN what I saw last season was a coach who was finally able to get thru to him. Who finally got him to understand how important it is to be a complete player and how by doing that would help him as a player but also would help the team have real success. getting him where he can go is a huge win for DN and a huge win for the Browns.

DN has mad physical abilities and that is why the Browns have stuck with him. Last season in many respects was his rookie season until last year he had coaches that didn't want to take the time let alone had the ability to develop him as a player. FK sent him to the dog house and likely would have let him go if given a choice. The new leadership saw what we all see, he has mad raw talent but needs to develop and hone himself into a complete player. That is what has led to him being held back as a player and believe me if he does what I think he will do going forward he will be the kind of player that will demand defenses adjust to try to take him away that is his ceiling and I believe coach Ski and staff have him in a great place right now and we are about to reap what they truly began to develop last year. A dominate player.

True enough it's show time for DN I believe he is ready to go to another level.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 01:00 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
I've been especially rooting for him, as I see him as the ideal TE for KS's offense. He's a TE that can block, run, and (usually) catch. He seemed to start out strong and then fade fast last year. I chalked that up to normal rookie issues compounded by a non-existent preseason, so I'm looking to him to pick up where he left off at the beginning of last year without the drop-off.
Posted By: hitt Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 02:16 PM
Agree, but a review of posters on this tread the most emphasis has been on throwing the ball...we have good passing weapons/ not great...I see a leap made by LT as key to whole offense, his run blocking improves and we are set without injuries factored in...as you stated FINALLY we can both run and pass....GO Browns!!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 02:49 PM

I have stated this many times.

Njoku in the red zone is a nightmare for defenses. He has length and mad jumping ability.

On seams routes no linebacker can cover him.

Another guy who I think will have an increased role is DPJ. He is bigger and faster than Higgins. He made good use of his opportunities last year.

Baker stated that he looks incredible this year.

He really is a prototype receiver at 6'2" 210 lbs with 4.4 speed. Smart guy who has been mentored by Jarvis and Odell.

DPJ has gained Baker's trust. He will get more chances.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 06:15 PM

I have stated this many times.

He really is a prototype receiver at 6'2" 210 lbs with 4.4 speed. Smart guy who has been mentored by Jarvis and Odell.

Ironically, the prototype receiver is 5'10-6' 180-200 lbs

I did a report on it last year and of the top 10 receivers, I believe 6 or 7 of them fell in that range.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 06:51 PM
A lot of good commentary goin on thumbsup

In terms of Njoku I don't think it can be denied how much progress he made in terms of becoming more well rounded. I'd also point out that more than anyone else he's asked to make some extremely tough catches.

Schwartz... I think he will get some legit playing time early because one area Baker still needs to show improvement in is consistency in that throw it up deep pass. I don't chalk it up to a lack of ability but rather lack of consistent opportunity because we didn't have someone who could just flat out blow the top off a defense.

Bryant I think will show improvement. He was coming on well until he had a couple fumbles and that is when IMO he became a bit self conscious and maybe even overly cautious. If he can get some confidence he'll be just fine.

I said a few months ago that I think this offense still has another gear to it that we didn't really get to see last year. I suspect we're going to see more stretching the field than before.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 07:59 PM
I guess that depends on who you consider to be the top 10 WRs.
Most of the top 15 WRs (only Tyreek Hill is under 6 feet). Most are 6'1" or taller and most weigh over 200 pounds.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 08:34 PM

Every coach and qb like size if speed and quickness are not sacrificed.

It gives the receiver an edge on 50/50 balls.

Most receivers and corners are the size you mentioned.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/21/21 10:17 PM
I guess that depends on who you consider to be the top 10 WRs.
Most of the top 15 WRs (only Tyreek Hill is under 6 feet). Most are 6'1" or taller and most weigh over 200 pounds.

Here are the ones I could think of that are under 6'2 WR who are top 15ish

Davante Adams 6'0
Hopkins 6'1
Tyreek Hill 5'10
OBJ 5'11
Landry 5'11
Aj Brown 6'
Diggs 6'0
MGrquise Godwin 5'9
Amari Cooper 6'1
Tyler Lockett 5'10
Cole Beasley 5'8
Posted By: Hammer Re: Offensive X factor - 06/22/21 02:26 PM
1. D. Adams - 6'1" 215
2. D. Hopkins - 6'1 212
3. S. Diggs - 6'0" 190
4. T. Hill - 5'10" 185
5. A.J. Brown - 6'0" 226
6. D.K. Metcalf - 6'3" 229
7. M. Thomas - 6'3" 212
8. J. Jones - 6'3" 220
9. M. Evans - 6'5" 231
10. C. Godwin - 6'1" 209
11. C. Ridley - 6'1" 190
12. K. Allen - 6'2" 211
13. A. Robinson - 6'3" 211
14. A. Thielen - 6'2" 200
15. OBJ - 5'11" 198
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Offensive X factor - 06/22/21 02:41 PM
1. D. Adams - 6'1" 215
2. D. Hopkins - 6'1 212
3. S. Diggs - 6'0" 190
4. T. Hill - 5'10" 185
5. A.J. Brown - 6'0" 226
6. D.K. Metcalf - 6'3" 229
7. M. Thomas - 6'3" 212
8. J. Jones - 6'3" 220
9. M. Evans - 6'5" 231
10. C. Godwin - 6'1" 209
11. C. Ridley - 6'1" 190
12. K. Allen - 6'2" 211
13. A. Robinson - 6'3" 211
14. A. Thielen - 6'2" 200
15. OBJ - 5'11" 198

so... we both agree. got it

thanks!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Offensive X factor - 06/22/21 03:17 PM

X-Factor.
Posted By: eotab Re: Offensive X factor - 06/22/21 04:30 PM
Its not a number thing its a concept and theory of their O. They look to establish and control via the run unfortunately the team was not that good so they fell behind a lot where they did have to pass. But they did not want to do so.

Posted By: FATE Re: Offensive X factor - 06/25/21 03:20 PM
I think Kareem Hunt is the clear "X-Factor" in this offense.

In 2020 he was third on the team in catches, behind only Landry and Hooper. 841 yards rushing, 6 TD on the ground and 5 through the air. All that despite most people thinking he was "under-utilized".

He can line up anywhere as a legit weapon. He's a punishing runner that has elite moves to compliment his power. We saw both aspects against the Steelers in the playoffs; first with the battering ram type surge into the endzone and then with the video-game-type jump-cut to score the second.

His attitude and energy are two things that surprised me and they were there on day one. I remember hearing he was signing and thinking "nice one year rental". I was sure that he wouldn't want to share the limelight, I was sure there was no way in hell he would play second fiddle. Yet here we are.

Here's a couple quotes from an article I read this morning in The Athletic:

On Chubb:

“Please pay that man,” Hunt said. “Nick is a freak of nature. He’s like a brother to me. I love what he does on and off the field. He’s just a great person and great teammate. I hope we can play together for a long time."

On his role:

"I’ll do whatever (the coaches) ask me to do. If they tell me to go rush off the edge and sack Patrick Mahomes, I’m going to try to do that, too. It’s whatever they ask me to do. I just love the game of football, and I’m a competitive person and I’m always trying to win.”

Despite his past indiscretions, he fits the mold -- Smart, tough, accountable. Combine that with his elite talent and you have a recipe for a breakout year and a player that can truly put this offense over the top.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Offensive X factor - 06/25/21 04:00 PM
If 5 people have to chase down Lamar Jackson, Kareem Hunt may be one of those guys best suited, just saying.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Offensive X factor - 06/25/21 09:07 PM
Quote:
I think Kareem Hunt is the clear "X-Factor" in this offense.

I get it. He's versatile in the sense he can catch out of the backfield, you can line him up outside, he can block, etc. The issue I have is, unless Chubb is injured, his snap count will always be supressed.

Will he make a big play? I bet more than one.
Are there times when both he and Chubb can be on the field? Of course.

As far as the NFL is concerned, the X factor will almost always be the QB, IMO. Everything lives and dies by him. I suppose a RB that can run, catch, and block should be considered, but that player needs to be taking a vast majority of the snaps. I don't think Hunt will do that. Guys like Kamara, CMC, Cook, and the like, will.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Offensive X factor - 06/25/21 09:11 PM
The more I think about it, I think Odell will be the X-factor. Being healthy and having more time to work with Baker, his ability to get open deep could be a game changer
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Offensive X factor - 06/26/21 08:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
The more I think about it, I think Odell will be the X-factor. Being healthy and having more time to work with Baker, his ability to get open deep could be a game changer

IMO what was truly missing last season from the Browns offense is just what OBJ can bring. It's truly was an area that needs improvement.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Offensive X factor - 06/26/21 09:07 PM
I really think OBJ is going to be on a mission. After all the talking heads and fans claimed the team was better without him, his pride had to suffer. Then as the offseason progressed, more and more stories came out about him not being the player he once was, and again how the Browns and Baker were better without him. Put that together with having to sit at home and watch his team in the playoffs, if he is not motivated now, he is a lost cause.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Offensive X factor - 06/26/21 11:12 PM
j/c

Regarding OBJ and his return to the offense, I think the biggest factor is Baker. This is just me talkin, but I think the intent to make Odell a major part of the offense had him trying too hard. Much was made of how, from the moment of Beckham's injury, Baker appeared to suddenly find his rhythm. It was said by some that the team was better without OBJ.

I only partially agree. I think the loss of Beckham forced, or allowed, Baker to open up the playbook in his head. He was looking at what was available instead of trying so hard to get Odell involved. So while the injury changed the dynamic for the better, it wasn't the loss of the player as much as the loss of the option.

Now that Mayfield has made that step, I believe that reintroducing OBJ has the potential to open a new dimension to the offense.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Offensive X factor - 06/27/21 08:50 AM
You got it brother.

The problem was Baker I have no doubt about that, last season in the second half he became the QB he was hired to be back in 2018. he looked like a pro. The biggest improvement was moving safeties with his head and eyes. When I started seeing that I thought to myself our little boy has grown up. LOL
© DawgTalkers.net