DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 08:03 AM
This is our most glaring weakness, I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t come up more.

Are we just going to “put someone back there” ?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 10:51 AM
Why not?

Just kidding to a large degree, but not totally. To me, those guys just evolve as camp unfolds. In the beginning I don't think someone said that Cribbs was going to be great in that role, it just happened.

I don't think it is a position you can really scout. Lot's of guys were great at it in college and never were all that much in the pro's.

Add in that most kick-offs aren't returned, it really isn't as important anymore. On punts, I think coaches are mostly concerned with finding a guy who can catch the ball without fumbling. After that, it is simply a bonus.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 11:26 AM
Right now we have Jo Jo Natson, Donovan Peoples-Jones, D'Ernest Johnson, Ryan Switzer, and Anthony Schwartz to compete at kick, and punt returns.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 11:42 AM
I would add Felton to that list.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 11:51 AM
Your correct. I forgot about him. banghead
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 12:03 PM
I'd venture a guess and say that the pre-camp front runners are DPJ, Felton, Schwartz.

I think that Natson and Johnson will be on the outside looking in on cutdown day
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 12:28 PM
I nominate Wyatt Teller. I mean we probably won't get many yards with him running but the hits would be sweet.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 12:35 PM
I guess I'm not seeing where they didn't address this at all.

as GM pointed out, we have plenty to look at and chose from.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 02:07 PM
Hope for the best prepare for the worst.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/12/21 04:56 PM
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Hope for the best prepare for the worst.

I think they have... Quite nicely
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/13/21 04:58 AM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2020/returns.htm

DPJ was #34 in the NFL last year, total punt return yards. I can’t seem to find, but I’d be curious to see where we rank, average punt return yards, per punt, by team. I feel like we were middle of the road, to bottom half of the league last year.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/13/21 10:36 AM
https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/special-teams/punt-returns/2020/reg/all
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/13/21 02:25 PM
I think those numbers are a little skewed because he started real slow and tentative but got better as the year went on.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/13/21 11:26 PM

The biggest issue I see in looking at that is that our longest return all season long was just 13 yards. That is just pathetic.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/14/21 10:26 AM
Once Jo Jo went down last season we didn't have to many options at PR except for DPJ and Ryan Switzer who was on the practice squad.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/14/21 03:29 PM
They were even more dismal than I had anticipated.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/16/21 09:20 AM
I think Natson will be cut. Schwartz/Felton will get a shot to prove themselves, as will DPJ (although I didn’t love him there last year)
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/16/21 01:50 PM
I agree. I just don't see a niche for Natson to be able to stick. His only real hope, I think, is for nobody else being able to prove they can handle the return duties.

I see no chance of us waiving Schwartz or Felton before they've even had a season, and there's little chance either would clear waivers and make it to the practice squad.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/17/21 10:02 AM
Jo Jo may not make the team, BUT don't count him out just yet. The Browns had plans for him last year (That's why he was the 3rd WR on opening day last season. They had plays to try to get him the ball in open spaces. With that being said I hope one of the other guys is good enough to take his job.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/17/21 01:34 PM
I only discount him because of the numbers game. We're only going to carry so many WR, and there are several that are pretty much a hard lock to make the team, already... which means that all of the others are battling for only one or two rosters spots.

OBJ, Landry, Higgins, Schwartz (if he ever signs), DPJ... I'd say that all five are a lock.
How many will we carry... 6, 7, 8??

Whatever the difference is, that leaves JoJo, Willies, Hodge, Switzer, Bradley, and Hollins fighting for those remaining spot(s).
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Kick and Punt returner - 06/17/21 03:06 PM
I think the plan is for Schwartz to take over the role Natson plays. How that plays out is anybodies guess but I would certainly give the edge to Schwartz.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Kick and Punt returner - 07/03/21 05:58 AM
Shameless plug for Denzel Ward, local product.

Keep an eye out for hometown discounts.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Kick and Punt returner - 07/03/21 09:27 AM
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Right now we have Jo Jo Natson, Donovan Peoples-Jones, D'Ernest Johnson, Ryan Switzer, and Anthony Schwartz to compete at kick, and punt returns.

It's not like we have nothing and I really liked Jones in his roll as a punt returner, he was sure handed and did a solid job IMO.

I don't think the position lacks candidates or in the case of Jones someone we can trust to more then adequately fill the roll.

I sure would like Dawson back a more reliable FG kicker would be nice though granted.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Kick and Punt returner - 07/03/21 10:28 AM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I think the plan is for Schwartz to take over the role Natson plays. How that plays out is anybodies guess but I would certainly give the edge to Schwartz.

I don't know. Natson and Schwartz are two different types of runner. I could be wrong, but I don't see Schwartz as a punt returner. At least from what I have seen he isn't a quick twitch, jitterbug type runner.

In the end I don't care all that much about returners other than being able to catch and secure the ball. Anything after that is gravy.
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Kick and Punt returner - 07/11/21 12:46 AM
Big special teams question mark for me. Maybe I’m too much into Tressel ball, but all I see are question marks ?
© DawgTalkers.net