Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 07/31/21 11:06 PM

Current RB contracts:

https://overthecap.com/position/running-back/
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 07/31/21 11:10 PM
Excellent!
Posted By: BustkeviousMingo Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 07/31/21 11:19 PM
Great news
Posted By: DeputyDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 07/31/21 11:26 PM
Only locks him in for 3 more years, but not too expensive and not a lot of risk if he gets hurt.

I like the deal.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 07/31/21 11:26 PM

Reason enough to extend him.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 07/31/21 11:34 PM
Thank you for the thread and link. Quick comparison send to show this contract is a little on the cheap side when you look at it at averaged per year. A bunch of RBs I'd never trade straight up for Chubb cost more.

Maybe he traded a little money for a chance to double-dip?
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 07/31/21 11:43 PM
Absolutely love this.

I hope he finishes his career here, after several more fruitful years of course.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 07/31/21 11:47 PM

Love the Chubb.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:28 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:33 AM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:38 AM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:44 AM
Yes!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:45 AM
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:59 AM
My favorite Browns player signs a deal!!

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 01:02 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 01:03 AM
Great to see this and happy for Chubb. Sends the right message to the locker room and reinforces the culture the Browns are establishing.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 01:10 AM
Happy Days are here again... I believed that Berry would get this done.. And I also believe he'll get Ward and Mayfield done as well.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 01:14 AM
Hell freaking yes.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 01:21 AM
Wow. This is a fairly team friendly deal. Chubb could have easily got more on the open market.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 01:32 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 02:03 AM
Posted By: BuckDawg1946 Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 02:45 AM
Whoa, that is good news.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 03:11 AM

Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 04:01 AM
IMO He is the image I want for this club. So happy to see him re-signed. I believe he would play just for fun so for him the money is a bonus.

So happy for Chubb and happy for my Browns, now lets go get that Lombardi, and build this dynasty.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 04:29 AM
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Great to see this and happy for Chubb. Sends the right message to the locker room and reinforces the culture the Browns are establishing.

This 100%. Not signing Chubb would mean your mantra is nothing but lip-service.

SMART, TOUGH, ACCOUNTABLE... PAID.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 04:30 AM
First let me say I love the news.

Second, I recently bought a new t-shirt that says "Pay Nick Chubb." I was going to debut the shirt at Tuesday's training camp to which I have tickets. Obviously, the shirt would no longer be appropriate. The shirt now becomes something to wear underneath a jersey or sweatshirt at games.

Said Robert Burns, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 04:48 AM
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Wow. This is a fairly team friendly deal. Chubb could have easily got more on the open market.

There's a solid chance he could have made more as a FA... but that would be after another season in an uncertain world.

I think this is a textbook definition win-win. He nails down his security with a lucrative contract now. He stays with a winning organization that seems perched to become a perennial playoff team. He sees a team willing to reward his hard work that doesn't favor a philosophy that says "chew them up and spit them out"... the approach most of the league takes with RBs. He stays in a situation where, if we continue with a two back philosophy, gives him the best chance to play for a third contract (and still walk without crutches when it's all said and done).

And oh yeah, the other side of the coin... the Browns and their fans retain the services of the best pure running back in the NFL.

I seriously have to pinch myself at times.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 04:49 AM
Love this! It definitely gives me a Chubb[y]!
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 04:52 AM
Originally Posted By: DaveyD
Love this! It definitely gives me a Chubb[y]!

Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 04:57 AM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
First let me say I love the news.

Second, I recently bought a new t-shirt that says "Pay Nick Chubb." I was going to debut the shirt at Tuesday's training camp to which I have tickets. Obviously, the shirt would no longer be appropriate. The shirt now becomes something to wear underneath a jersey or sweatshirt at games.

Said Robert Burns, "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

This one's easy bro.

Draw a thick black mark through "Nick Chubb".

Stick about 12" of masking tape underneath his name.

Write in "Baker Mayfield" on masking tape.

That's the antithesis of that stupid jersey we all had to put up with for so long. thumbsup
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 05:14 AM

Maybe he wants to be here.

I think we Battered Dawgs are in the middle of a learning curve where this team is concerned. It's come on fast, but CLE is quickly becoming a very desired destination, for both draftees and free agents.

I know, right?

superconfused
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 05:16 AM
Quote:
I seriously have to pinch myself at times.

like I was sayin'...

wink
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 11:22 AM

Maybe. When you look at the numbers, he falls right in line with all but Kamara and McCaffery. Looking at the names just behind them, which Chubb is a member, it could be argued that those two guys are a bit overpaid.

I left off Elliott...call it3.

That $12ish mil a year number seems to be the working number for top backs. I question how much more he could have gotten.

I like the 3 year deal. It gives the player a chance to gain another big contract and insulates the team from Chubb being hurt. Four years down the road is a long time for a running back making big money. It would be interesting to see how his new contract staggers out compared to those still under contract and then compared to contracts we are looking to extend out. In many cases, the staggering has a big impact on the overall health of the teams cap.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 11:40 AM

Seems odd but damn it is true.

JJ3, Clowney, Odell, etc.

Inside this team there are guys who really click together.

Chubb/Hunt, Jarvis/Odell, the whole OL.

Clowney seems really happy. You see him and Myles together a lot seemingly have a good time.

Anthony Walker is already a team leader.

Team culture sounds trite but it is a real thing.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 11:46 AM
Good News GO BROWNS!!!
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 11:52 AM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Seems odd but damn it is true.

JJ3, Clowney, Odell, etc.

Inside this team there are guys who really click together.

Chubb/Hunt, Jarvis/Odell, the whole OL.

Clowney seems really happy. You see him and Myles together a lot seemingly have a good time.

Anthony Walker is already a team leader.

Team culture sounds trite but it is a real thing.

I have to slap myself from time to time so I can believe what has happened to this team.

Ski has created an environment that is setting this team up for huge success. I am sure there will be some setbacks where it doesn't seem perfect but right now in my view we are easily the best organization in the entire maybe sports world.

Ready SET DYNASTY...
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:13 PM
This is great news, thanks for posting it. thumbsup
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:13 PM
Often times teams (and GMs specifically) certainly overpay in the FA market but can do the same with their own players and make them the highest paid player in fear that they may walk if not given that type of contract. That doesn't seem to be the case here. As much as we all love Nick Chubb and what he has done for the team so far, his contract does fall in line, IMO, to where he ranks against other RBs. He is not as a complete back as CMC, Cook, Kamara, Henry, Saquon (although still on rookie deal), and perhaps even a healthy Elliott. If we were planning on giving him an outrageous contract like Zeke's, or a lesser extent CMC, I would have been very concerned.

This seem on par for where Chubb falls in terms of value and its doesn't seem like we overpaid or had the expectation to make Chubb the highest paid RB just because it was his turn to for a new contract. This is a good thing.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 12:53 PM
i feel like the money is too low, but i also understand that Chubb is already 26. so i get it.

i'm glad he's perfectly happy with the money, however. so it doesn't matter what i think. im glad he's on the squad with Hunt.

one of our receivers goes down with injury, and it won't even matter.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 01:20 PM
This is great news!
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 01:23 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Often times teams (and GMs specifically) certainly overpay in the FA market but can do the same with their own players and make them the highest paid player in fear that they may walk if not given that type of contract. That doesn't seem to be the case here. As much as we all love Nick Chubb and what he has done for the team so far, his contract does fall in line, IMO, to where he ranks against other RBs. He is not as a complete back as CMC, Cook, Kamara, Henry, Saquon (although still on rookie deal), and perhaps even a healthy Elliott. If we were planning on giving him an outrageous contract like Zeke's, or a lesser extent CMC, I would have been very concerned.

This seem on par for where Chubb falls in terms of value and its doesn't seem like we overpaid or had the expectation to make Chubb the highest paid RB just because it was his turn to for a new contract. This is a good thing.

Nick has said all along he wanted to remain with the Browns. I can't say I blame him. I think winning is very important to him and the money he has gotten and will get insure his future on and off the football field. He unlike many players today are out for all they can get, and put the team in bad spot because they suck up huge chucks of the salary cap. This contract is just right and the other RB's who are getting more aren't worth it IMO.

On the business side it just doesn't make sense to pay boat loads of money to a RB. If it hadn't been Nick the player and the man I wouldn't spend this much on a RB their careers end rather quickly.

The entire team and fans and organization and Nick all won on this deal. welcome home Nick so glad your here.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 02:40 PM
Chubb is my favorite player since Joe Thomas. Class act and lunch pail guy.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 03:06 PM
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 03:58 PM
Nick Chubb is the best Browns back since Leroy Kelly. This is awesome news. We now have the best running back room in the league. This is exactly the kind of thing the Browns used to screw up. Bodes well for us that they got this done!
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 04:56 PM
This is great signing for the Browns and bodes well for the ability of Andrew Berry to negotiate all the pending contracts. I believe he will also get Baker signed for a similar discount.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 07:34 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 09:27 PM
Put extra popcorn and wings on the grocery list. This signing is great news. And the video is phenomenal. Loved it, but only a bunch. Still looking for my copy of "Here We Go Again!"

Thanks for this. Great stuff. thumbsup
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 09:46 PM
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Put extra popcorn and wings on the grocery list. This signing is great news. And the video is phenomenal. Loved it, but only a bunch. Still looking for my copy of "Here We Go Again!"

Thanks for this. Great stuff. thumbsup

Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/01/21 10:17 PM

Damn life can be real hard on a million a month.

I don't see Chubb as a guy who will be loose with his money.

Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 12:09 AM
Love this. It’s a reward for many things - his talent, character and devotion to his team.

I’m glad we didn’t go the route of ‘oh well we can always get an RB in the draft’. Chubb isn’t run of the mill, he’s a truly elite back. Beat you with power or quickness.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 12:37 AM
In a similar thread, months ago, I said Chubb isn't looking to be the highest paid RB. Pay him fairly, and he'll stay with the team. It's part of who he is.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 12:40 AM
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Damn life can be real hard on a million a month.

I don't see Chubb as a guy who will be loose with his money.

I have a suspicion that Nick Chubb will, one day, use his wealth for a greater good.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 01:41 AM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 11:01 AM
Fairly stated.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 01:02 PM
I watched Part 1, and I gotta say that that could've just as easily been a highlight video for the Oline. Not trying to be 'that guy', but man oh man do we have something special in our ground game.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 02:08 PM
Nick Chubb, a 'pillar of the Browns organization,' rewarded with 3-year extension
The 2-time Pro Bowler has already established himself as one of the best RBs in team history

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/nic...-year-extension

Nick Chubb's impact on the field and inside the Browns locker room has been felt and appreciated from the moment he was drafted.

On Monday, the Browns and Chubb ensured the positive, lead-by-example impact he's provided won't be going anywhere soon.

Chubb, a two-time Pro Bowler who has already established himself as one of the best running backs in team history and has been among the league's best at the position over the past three years, signed a three-year extension that runs through the 2024 season.

"From the day Nick Chubb first entered our facilities, it was clear to see that he would become a pillar of our organization," said Andrew Berry, Browns EVP of Football Operations and General Manager. "Although Nick may be a man of few words whose strong-and-silent demeanor can be easy to overlook from the outside, his actions over the past three years have reverberated within the walls of our building. Nick's on-field contributions stand for themselves. He is a dynamic runner who is on pace to be one of the most accomplished players to ever don an orange helmet at the position. But it's his work ethic, intelligence, toughness and selflessness that makes us proud that he represents our city. Quite plainly, Nick embodies the soul of our team and we are thrilled that he will be a Cleveland Brown for years to come."

Chubb's no-nonsense, team-first approach has been lauded ever since the Browns selected him in the second round with the 35th overall pick. He's twice been the team's nominee for the NFL's Art Rooney Sportsmanship Award and was voted on by teammates as the Browns' Ed Block Courage Award winner in 2020.

"A great player. An even better person," Browns Managing and Principal Partner Jimmy Haslam said. "(There are) very few people I have met like Nick Chubb."
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 02:11 PM
Nick Chubb “honored” to remain in Cleveland, Browns “thrilled” to extend his contract

https://www.audacy.com/923thefan/sports/...utm_term=WKRKFM

Nick Chubb put pen to paper on his three-year, $36.6 million contract extension Monday morning.

The two-time Pro Bowler agreed to the new deal Saturday.

Chubb will stay with the Browns through the 2024 season and the contract will allow Chubb to become a free agent when he is 29.

“It means a lot to me to be able to stay in Cleveland and be a Brown,” Chubb said. “It’s an honor to put on the orange helmet and represent the city of Cleveland and these great fans. I’m happy that I will be able to be here for many more years. The Browns put their faith in me during the draft and I want to say thank you to everyone who believed in me and who has supported me. There is still a lot of work to do to continue to get better and become a better team.”

Cleveland selected Chubb in the second round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

“From the day Nick Chubb first entered our facilities, it was clear to see that he would become a pillar of our organization,” Andrew Berry, Browns executive vice president of football operations and general manager, said. “Although Nick may be a man of few words whose strong-and-silent demeanor can be easy to overlook from the outside, his actions over the past three years have reverberated within the walls of our building. Nick’s on-field contributions stand for themselves. He is a dynamic runner who is on pace to be one of the most accomplished players to ever don an orange helmet at the position. But it’s his work ethic, intelligence, toughness and selflessness that makes us proud that he represents our city.

“Quite plainly, Nick embodies the soul of our team and we are thrilled that he will be a Cleveland Brown for years to come.”

The $12.3 million average annual value ranks sixth, right behind Derrick Henry of the Titans, among running backs.

Chubb has totaled 3,557 yards and 28 touchdowns on the ground while adding 72 catches for 577 yards and a pair of scores through the air.

"Nick Chubb is a tremendous football player, but an even better person," head coach Kevin Stefanski said. "He is one of the best examples of a team player that I've been around. Nick always puts the team before himself, and that's why you love seeing a guy like him get rewarded."

Chubb is the first Browns player since Jim Brown to post two 1,000-yard seasons in his first three NFL seasons. With 28 career touchdowns, Chubb already ranks seventh in Browns' history. his 3,557 rushing yards rank sixth.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 02:19 PM
Yes we do. And all parts need to work together for success.

I was a little disappointing when he was drafted... concerned about his recovery from the knee injury and whether or not he would ever be back to "full speed"... concerned that he wasn't much more than the "one-cut runner" that the analysts coined him as.

We wasted so much talent at "skill positions" over the years by not having the supporting cast that was necessary. It's refreshing to see this all come together from "top to bottom" for a change.

Chubb? Never expected him to run with such power, never expected the second and third gear, never expected (and he still doesn't get enough credit for) the incredible vision he runs with. On top of all that, even when you are in position for a textbook tackle -- he wields and absolute battering ram for a stiff-arm.

So much fun to watch!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 02:52 PM
IIRC, the main worry about him coming out of the draft was speed due to his injury. His tape pre-injury was indicative of what he could become. IMO, Nick Chubb will never be mistaken for one of those track star RBs, but you can't have that ~90 yard TD vs the Ravens (the one where he dusted their secondary) while being 'slow'.

He's very 'quick' as well. Seems to accelerate well out of broken tackles (if he slows down at all). Is that power or balance?
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 04:18 PM
Browns sign Nick Chubb for three more years: Gotta love it! – Terry Pluto
Updated Aug 01, 8:37 PM; Posted Aug 01, 5:33 AM
By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND – “Yay!”

That’s what my wife Roberta yelled when I yelled across my office about the Browns signing Nick Chubb to a 3-year contract extension.

But she wasn’t the only Browns fan who cheered when hearing the news.

When GM Andrew Berry and Coach Kevin Stefanski took over the Browns in 2020, they talked about players who are “tough, smart, accountable.” The Browns have a lot of players who fit the description, but the 25-year-old Chubb should be at the front of the line.

On the field, he reminds me of Jim Brown.

This is not to say the 5-foot-11, 227-pounder will be among the greatest running backs of all-time. But there are several times each season when the bullish Chubb displays a combination of speed and strength ... well, it is something I haven’t seen in an orange helmet since Jim Brown.

When Chubb scores a touchdown, he hands the ball to the official. That also is reminiscent of Brown, who told young players, “act like you’ve been there before.”

Chubb has scored 30 TDs in his three years with the Browns. Yes, he’s been in the end zone before. My goodness, Chubb averaged a stunning 10 yards per carry in the fourth quarter last season!!! That’s not a misprint.

It’s also a testimony to how Stefanski took his two running backs – Kareem Hunt and Chubb – and balanced their carries so both were at their best when it meant the most in the final period of the game.

BOTH SIDES WANTED A DEAL

The three-year, $36.6 million extension is healthy, especially with $20 million fully guaranteed. Chubb could have pressed for something like Carolina’s Christian McCaffrey ($64 million, $36 million guaranteed) or Alvin Kamara’s $75 million ($34 million guaranteed) deal from New Orleans. Those numbers are from overthecap.com.

But the Browns could have stayed strictly with their analytics, which doesn’t like paying running backs more than $10 million a year. So both sides moved.

More importantly, both sides moved before the season opened. When a player has a chance to be an unrestricted free agent, the chances of keeping him dwindle as the season progresses. Instead, both sides did it now.

Chubb will play this season for $3.4 million on his original deal. Then the 3-year extension comes into play. That ties up Chubb for four seasons. Hunt is under contract for two more seasons for $12 million.

Recently, Hunt had this to say about Chubb: “Please Pay That Man!

They did just that.

THE BIG PLAN

The front office of Chief Strategy Officer Paul DePodesta and GM Andrew Berry faced two major decisions on key players approaching free agency.

First was Myles Garrett in 2020. He signed a 5-year, $125 million extension before last season. Now, they also keep control of Chubb, who wanted to stay.

“I don’t like uncertainty, and I know here in Cleveland what I have with the players and coaches,’’ he said during minicamp. “This is the City of Cleveland, and I don’t know how things will be anywhere else. So Cleveland is where I want to be and that is my main focus – to be here in Cleveland.”

Sometimes, a player says that to the media. Then he tells his agent to make him the highest-paid player at his position. Not Chubb, who has rushed for 3,557 yards in his first three pro seasons, averaging 5.2 yards per carry.

Chubb had major knee surgery when at Georgia. He also missed four games in 2020 with a MCL knee problem. This deal gives him some security at a position where running backs endure a fierce physical beating.

Thank former GM John Dorsey for taking Chubb in the second round of the 2018 draft, a pick which came from the Brock Osweiler deal the Browns made with Houston – a creative trade assembled by former GM Sashi Brown.

It was the disciples of Brown – DePodesta and Berry – who worked out the contract extension.

No wonder so many fans are screaming “Yay!” this morning.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08...erry-pluto.html
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/02/21 09:12 PM

Over the last couple of dull months football wise. NFL network replayed some Browns games.

Everytime I watch those replays. I am more and more impressed with Chubb.

He is so efficient with his movement. Nothing is wasted. His vision is excellent. He will one cut and explode. So, you think that is what he is a one cut runner.

Not the case at all. He makes moves all over the field.

He is way faster than you would think. When he hits the gas it seems like he can find an extra gear.

Love the Chubb.

Kareem is a perfect duo guy. Really a determined runner. Quick feet and good hands. He refuses to go down. Will just fight you for that one more yard.

I love the run game. When you can run it. You can take the heart out of the defense.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/03/21 12:10 AM
Love Chubb and think the Browns did a superb job signing him. He gets millions guaranteed and we get to see him run for at least 3 more years. A thought, we better not fall in love with every player- Teller is an example, just read he could be looking at making more money than Chubb as a top guard. Analytics guys, are they going to pay him top dollar, wonder what he wants vs what he'll take. Pancake blocks sure help runners, but making more money than the runner....I don't get it. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/03/21 11:22 AM
I think the elite OL guys have longer careers than the RB guys ... That might be one factor. Plus you can plug a dime a dozen RB behind a good blocking line and get decent results. You have to have a truly elusive and special RB to consistently produce behind a dime a dozen run blocking line. Hopefully we have a great OL and two elite RBs .... Plus all the other great talent on O ...
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/03/21 12:04 PM
I think we can all be confident they aren't going to handcuff themselves via salary cap. They've proven to be much savvier than that.

They also now have the leverage of having a legit team. Gone are the days where we were negotiating from a position of weakness due to previous season's record.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/03/21 01:01 PM
No doubt we don't have to sign a Ross Verba to a big deal, creating a large cheer from the shores of Lake Erie.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/03/21 03:06 PM
I recognize Cleveland isn't poison anymore, I'm pleased we've got good/great coaches that can get subs up to speed- Teller, although ranked great, might walk because he won't get what he "deserves", glad we have young backups...no one is irreplaceable, heck, we lost our head coach for playoff game....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 10:14 AM
J/c

This is excellent news and a good deal for the franchise. We’ve all known that we have some big contract decisions coming up, but signing Chubb was important.

Now we wait to see what happens with Baker, Teller, Ward, Harrison, etc
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 01:05 PM
I think the name of the game now, in terms of paying players, is to reward the player, take care of the player, do them a solid without backing up the Brinks truck. There are ways to do this, but the main requirement is the player has to want to play ball.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 01:54 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I think the name of the game now, in terms of paying players, is to reward the player, take care of the player, do them a solid without backing up the Brinks truck. There are ways to do this, but the main requirement is the player has to want to play ball.

Just a cool tidbit, though all the specifics aren't revealed for obvious purposes, but for insurance purposes, Brinks trucks are usually limited to around $3 mil,so it would take about 10 trucks to back up.

I am sure it could be more since I would guess that Brinks is self insured to some degree. That would explain why they use heavily armored vehicles with 3 armed guards. The driver and carrier have sidearms on the hip. I am sure the person locked in the box has more at their disposal.

I would bet the two in the cab have more in there as well.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 02:43 PM

I'm curious, do you actually think paying a player you want to keep a reasonable price tag for where his talent ranks as "doing them a solid"?

The team wants to keep them. The team understands their importance to the roster. In the case of Chubb, he probably could have made more money elsewhere had he have chosen to hit the FA market at the end of next season. So who is really doing who a solid?

I consider it a mutual business arrangement and that nobody actually did anyone "a solid". Chubb wanted to stay here and the FO wanted to keep him. Win/win.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 05:10 PM
I think timing it so that he hits the market again was 'doing him a solid'. Just a hunch of mine.

The main point behind that post, though was that there is more than 1 way to get top players to sign extensions.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 05:27 PM
I get the feeling, barring some crazy injury or falling off a cliff production-wise, that both Hunt and Chubb will retire as browns.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 09:20 PM
I get the feeling, barring some crazy injury or falling off a cliff production-wise, that both Hunt and Chubb will retire as browns.

I don't know man. Hunt is going to want some money after what, next season? You can only invest so much money in the running backs.

I have a feeling that we will trade Hunt. Probably not this year, but if some teams top back gets hurt we will get calls and we will listen.

I don't know what it would take to try him away, but it wouldn't be for a mid round pick. A 3rd might get it done. Maybe a lower round pick the following year to sweeten things.

I think D'ernest and Felton would do just fine.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 11:11 PM
You might be right, but I don't think Hunt wants to leave and he already took a discount to stay IMHO.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 11:54 PM
I think he wants to stay as well. I am not all that sure he will take another discount. He really hasn't had that BIG contract. I am not sure, but I believe he was on his rookie deal when he ran in to trouble in KC.

He may, but I just see the numbers being a little to stiff to work in to the scheme of the team cap.

I hope he stays.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/04/21 11:59 PM
I think Hunt understands that what he did, he is lucky to play at all. Plus he is playing out a childhood dream. I couyld see him stay as long as the Browns want him.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/05/21 12:18 AM
I could see that too. I just don't think the Browns are going to want him because of the money issue.

***Reply to Steuben
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/05/21 12:27 AM
I also think he appreciates the Oline in front of him and how a great Oline couch is helping him here and that may not be the case if he goes somewhere else.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/05/21 03:57 AM
I loved that block Kareem made that gave Baker room to get the first down and clinch a playoff spot in Game 16. He was leading like a pulling guard. Pads crunching.

He might not retire as a Brown, but I’ll remember that for a long time.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/05/21 01:06 PM
He was doing that for Chubb quite a bit the year prior. Obviously not a fan of the actions that got him here, but I love on-field Kareem. He's got so much skill but runs so violently.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 01:09 PM
Nick Chubb Contract Breakdown:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/nick-chubb-25134/

2023 might be an interesting year for the contract, IMO. Cap hit will increase from $5.2M in 2022 to a whopping $14.8M with zero dead cap money if released. That's pretty high for an RB. Then, $16.2M in 2024, again with a zero dead cap hit if released.

Perhaps a possible restructure based on anyone we extend and their cap hit that given year.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 02:21 PM
If the Browns draft a stud runningback, perhaps out of South Carolina, named Kevin Harris, who showed abilities to take over, how would that effect the 2023 year, and chances of keeping Chubb.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 02:34 PM

2023 might be an interesting year for the contract, IMO. Cap hit will increase from $5.2M in 2022 to a whopping $14.8M with zero dead cap money if released. That's pretty high for an RB. Then, $16.2M in 2024, again with a zero dead cap hit if released.

Perhaps a possible restructure based on anyone we extend and their cap hit that given year.

Side note: Myles Garrett cap hit in 2023.....$29M. Up from $13M the previous year.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 02:53 PM

Side note: Myles Garrett cap hit in 2023.....$29M. Up from $13M the previous year.

Oh dang... good catch.

I think this could emphasize the FO's approach to RBs about to hit a certain age?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 02:56 PM

Oh dang... good catch.

I think this could emphasize the FO's approach to RBs about to hit a certain age?

And it would be curious to see what the 2023 year would look like for the potential contracts of Mayfield, Ward, Teller, in addition to any FA contracts as well.

Of course the cap ceiling will be higher than what it is now, but these are guys that will be expensive if we extend them. We already know Myles will be at the current structure.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 03:29 PM
It could also be them banking on the cap going bananas in coming years. If that's the assumption, then giving some of these guys big money might actually look really shrewd in a year or two.
Posted By: thedawggene Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 03:44 PM
So with Chubb & Garrett going way up in 2023, and that will be the first year of Baker's new contract, as well...yikes! By 2023, the middle of our OL is also probably gone, too. Teller unlikely to stay in 2022, Both Tretter and Bitonio are FA in 2023 at the age of 32...at that age, and with other $ committments, they're gone.

I hadn't realized until now, but 2023 is shaping up to be a rebuild year.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 03:56 PM
That's why you draft at least 1 OL per draft; Forbes, Harris, Hudson could be the replacements you're talking about.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 03:59 PM
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
That's why you draft at least 1 OL per draft; Forbes, Harris, Hudson could be the replacements you're talking about.

Or any lineman we might decide to draft early in 2022 and 2023.
Posted By: thedawggene Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 06:13 PM
I doubt they would move Hudson to RG, but I take your point. That's how teams stay competitive. But even if you get these guys right, replacing the entire interior of the line in 2 seasons is not going to be a seamless transition.

And honestly, the last time we saw Nick Harris play, he looked too easily bullied by DTs. Has Forbes ever played a snap? Drafting a C or G in the 20's next spring would be unsurprising.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 08:50 PM
Why wouldn’t Teller just be franchised after this season?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/13/21 09:49 PM
Why pay franchise money for a RG in a system where we should be able to train up a new RG and at least be good? Remember, until Teller surprised everyone, we had Drew Forbes slated to own that spot, and Forbes is back.

Yes, Teller is exceptional, and what this FO saw in him is why they traded for him, but they saw the traits they coveted in him at a time when they weren't realized and the Bills were fine with trading him and a 7th for a 5th.

If Teller leaves in Free Agency, he will net us a 3rd as a Compensatory. If he stays at an affordable and reasonable price, we win. If he leaves, this FO already knows exactly the traits they are looking for in a player to replace him.

Win-Win-Win.
We'll be ok.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/23/21 12:26 AM

Cleveland Browns running back Nick Chubb has spent his first three seasons showing everyone that running backs can still matter in the NFL.

His fellow players have clearly been paying attention as Chubb came in at No. 26 on the NFL’s list of the game’s Top 100 players heading into the 2021 season.

According to the rankings at NFL.com:

Chubb turned in consecutive 1,000-yard seasons for the first time in Cleveland since Jamal Lewis (2007-08), and the 25-year-old did it in only 12 games (1,067 rushing yards) while logging a career-high 12 rushing TDs. An ideal mixture of speed and power, Chubb’s knack for breaking tackles wears down defenses and opens up passing attacks. In Year 3, he contributed greatly to a franchise-cleansing season for the Browns, who scratched and clawed their way to their first playoff berth in 18 years and went on to their first playoff victory in 26 years by virtue of Chubb’s 40-yard TD reception versus the Steelers.

A second-round selection in the 2018 NFL Draft out of Georgia, Chubb has earned two trips to the Pro Bowl while rushing for 3,557 yards and 28 touchdowns in three seasons. His 1,494 rushing yards in 2019 were the most in franchise history for a running back not named Jim Brown, and his 12 rushing touchdowns last season have only been exceeded by Brown and Leroy Kelly in franchise history.

According to clevelandbrowns.com, Chubb’s average of 5.23 yards per carry is tops among running backs with a minimum of 300 carries in the past three seasons. He also leads the league during that time with 34 runs of more than 20 yards, is second with 17 100-yard rushing games, tied for second with 101 runs of more than 10 yards, tied for second with seven runs of more than 50 yards, is third in rushing yards and sixth with 28 rushing touchdowns.

Chubb is the third member of the Browns to be named to this year’s list, joining wide receiver Jarvis Landry (No. 94) and quarterback Baker Mayfield (No. 71).

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2021/8/22/...fl-top-100-list

Myles Garrett at 16.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/23/21 12:50 AM
I believe that part of why Chubb is consistently underrated is that he doesn't draw attention to himself. Year after year, he is among the best RB in the business and there is nobody who gets more yards after contact.

I don't mind. I like that he doesn't get the attention, just like I like that Baker has so many detractors. They are each motivated by the lack of respect.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/23/21 01:43 AM
I don’t know if he’s all that under-rated - he does get a lot of props from the local and national media, but I get your point.

That said, he doesn’t seem to want a lot of attention, he doesn’t showboat after a TD.

But I believe that most paid pundits, fans and those ‘in the know’, see him as a Top 3 back.

Maybe top one.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/23/21 02:53 AM
Hilarious thing is when NFL micd up put a mic on him...

All all they got was silence. Dude just doesn't say much. Just runs people over
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/23/21 03:44 AM
Lots of grunting and other people congratulating him.

I occasionally watch those because I think they're great. There was one that would've been right around the time that Hunt was making his debut for us and he was talking about Chubb like "this dude just doesn't say anything". Someone else explained it kinda like "he's just like that, don't worry". I'm paraphrasing but it was hilarious to hear.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/23/21 02:18 PM
Chubb may not say much but he has a fire burning in him never doubt that and when guys disrespect him on the field he does respond but he does it quietly watch him closely he is very intense.

In the KC game last year in the second half of that game he came out and was NOT going to be denied and guess what? He wasn't ! Oh there is a fire in that man and it is explosive. I love the guy more so then any player I can remember he takes out his desire on the other team and then walks back lines up and does it all over again.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/23/21 06:09 PM
CHUBB IS NUMBER 1 IN MY BOOK!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/23/21 06:53 PM
The proof is in the pudding. Chubb's got lotsa pudding.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/25/21 07:31 PM
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 08/26/21 12:18 AM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

When God designed a running back, He designed Nick Chubb.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 09/20/21 05:03 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 09/22/21 12:14 PM
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 09/22/21 12:26 PM
I suppose the big difference is that Lamar takes a lot less punishment than Chubb in terms of the running styles. He did start to get a little bolder against the Chiefs, though, in terms of contact.

I guess we'll see. All it really takes is one hit to go the wrong way.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 09/22/21 12:55 PM
6.8 ypc....unreal. Anyone know if Nick is averaging over 10 ypc in the 4th quarter like he did for all of last year?
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 09/22/21 01:25 PM
Originally Posted By: TrooperDawg
6.8 ypc....unreal. Anyone know if Nick is averaging over 10 ypc in the 4th quarter like he did for all of last year?

KC: 2, 6, 7, 6, 2, -2
HOU: 14, 26

8 for 61 = 7.62
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 09/22/21 03:35 PM
Yer perty good with the cypherin' and gazintas!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Extend Nick Chubb - 09/22/21 08:55 PM
© DawgTalkers.net