DawgTalkers.net
When you remember back to how it felt to have a season without the Browns and you think about the very real possiblity that this is our year and we have a great chance to win it all, give thanks you have football, Cleveland Browns Football.

Cleveland Browns Fans you should be the happiest fans in football you have football, Cleveland Browns Football, and this is our year to lift the Lombardi, this was meant to be.

Get out your Dawg Bones and Batteries it's time for some football Cleveland Browns Football..............nanner nanner nanner

Looking back at 25 years ago, the first Sunday with no Browns football

Jeff Risdon
September 7, 2021 2:18 pm ET

On September 7th, 1996, my wife and I were married in Twinsburg, Ohio. It was a wonderful day full of blessed memories, with friends and family from all over coming to Northeast Ohio. It’s hard to believe it was 25 years ago.

In reminiscing about our wedding and the time it took place, it was easy to remember the tone around town. We had just experienced the first weekend without Cleveland Browns football.

Sure, the Indians were nearing the end of a magical season. But it was undeniable that Cleveland was missing something big. Not having the Browns cast a very tangible pall over the city, the residents and the fans who bleed orange and brown.

Week 1 of the 1996 season took place the prior weekend. I shook off my bachelor party from the night before and absentmindedly flipped on the television to watch the Browns. But they were no more. Of course I knew that, but the cold reality didn’t fully hit home until I was forced to watch Pittsburgh and Jacksonville play on the Cleveland station where I normally watched the Browns. I turned it off, too apathetic to the NFL to watch even out of curiosity.

I lived in Eastlake at the time, and my commute to work took me past Art Modell’s estate. In the week around the wedding time, it was wild to drive by and see all the trash, all the hateful messages left in plain sight. Fans were mad and didn’t care about any consequences. The combination of raging anger and soul-sucking sadness danced together in an uneasy tension that was easy to feel around town.

The absence of the Browns was a hot topic with our wedding guests and my groomsmen. We spent a long time talking about it the night before the nuptials, about how sad it was to not have such a historic pillar of life anymore. My best man was from Cincinnati, an obnoxious Bengals fan (still is too!), and he commiserated how awful it was. We may or may not have driven past Modell’s and may or may not have thrown something objectionable over the fence, too.

It’s been 25 years. I still remember the pain. Heck, my NFL team has been the Lions since the late 1970s, but being a Clevelander, there’s always something compelling about the Browns. They’re not just a team, they’re a significant part of the zeitgeist of the area. Life in Northeast Ohio was incomplete without the Browns. Even when the team is terrible, as it too often has been in the 22 years since the Browns returned, there’s something comforting and unifying about Sundays on the lakefront with Browns football.

The picture above carries special significance. My neighbor at the time had that exact picture in her living room. Underneath she had a giant orange candle that she lit as a hopeful talisman to bring her beloved Browns back. Her dogs, Hanford and Minnie, wore Browns sweaters all the time. And that didn’t seem odd or out of place in Cleveland at the time.

I was in Cleveland over the Labor Day weekend. The buzz about town regarding this promising Browns team is unlike anything I’ve seen or felt in Cleveland since the peak of the Marty Schottenheimer years. Browns flags are flying proudly off porches. There is Browns-related merchandise everywhere, including on the backs of the folks going out to eat or hitting the town. It’s impossible to miss, or to not appreciate.

Last year was something special. The first playoff win since 1994 — and doing it in Pittsburgh, no less — but it was just the start. There have been seasons of hope in Cleveland, but they never really panned out. This time around, it’s hard to find any compelling argument why these Browns won’t be one of the NFL’s best teams in 2021 … and beyond. The community pride is real and it’s spectacular.

Cleveland, we’ve come a long way since September of 1996. It’s not been an easy road. That’s why Browns fans appreciate the potential of this team so very much. Enjoy what should be a great season.
Easily the saddest moment in my life was the day Art stole our team, Now we are back................I mean really back

Born on the Lake in Willowick. Moved to Harrisburg, Pa. at three and moved back in 1960 at age 12.

Delivered the Plain Dealer. One summer day in 63 I went with some friends to Highland Golf course. I was 15. One of the first times playing golf. At the first tee and one of my friend said. "We need a score card." I took of for the club house. Came around the corner of the clubhouse flying. Ran right into the chest of Jim Brown. I about soiled myself. He had on a black banlon shirt and shorts. He looked like he was invincible. I said "sorry" and took off. He just grinned at me.

The next year they won the World Championship.

I have been waiting since and I am 73 now.

That is a long time between drinks.

The 1-31 stretch was humiliating to me. I was personally embarrassed by that.

I got my hat on Now. I am ready for some serious Pay Back.
I was in grade school when we were gone. I remember that it sucked. And it also sucked that we SUCKED for twenty years. I’m just hoping we are done sucking for a while
I am NOT mowing tomorrow. I was when Modell robbed Cleveland.

I have plans for Sunday. Some rejoicing, I hope.

Unleash the Elf! brownie
Modell the Traitor.

Time for the Browns to put all of the bad days behind them and win the Super Bowl.

Starts tomorrow at Arrowhead.
I was eight seasons in as a Browns fan when Modell weaseled into Baltimore. It was brutal, going three years without them. Not much else to say, except that the guy who urinated on Art’s grave is ok in my book.

We’ve suffered, but we might win a Super Bowl sometime soon.
Quote:
Modell the Traitor.

Hate that man. Hatehatehate. Hate him so much, I wrote a song about it. Liketahearit?hereitgo-

"I believe, as my friends all will tell,
There exists both a heaven and hell.
-And I'm sure there's a spot
In that place that is hot
That's now home to that gashole Modell."
35 years ago. 35 years ago the Browns played the 1986 season, finished the regular season 12-4. They had OT wins in back to back weeks including at Pittsburgh, and the oilers.
Bernie Kosar threw for 401 yards on MNF. to beat the Dolphins by more than a score, to avenge the playoff exit loss of 1985.
To end the season, the Browns won 5 straight and 8 of 9. Kosar 414 yards against pittsburgh.

In the 2nd to last regular season game, the Browns went down to Cincy, and won 34-3 to clinch the division. The 10-6 bengals, would not make the playoffs.

The 1986 Browns won in Pittsburg for the first time in 16 tries. The 86' Browns would win their first playoff game in 18 years since 1969.
Brian Brennan had the most receptions of Browns WRS. in 1986.
But, On January . 1987, The Browns hosted the Jets in the divisional round of the playoffs.
and after more than 4 hours and in Double Overtime, beat the Jets, 23-20, to reach the AFC Championship.

It would be the 1st of 3 AFC championship games the Browns would reach in 4 seasons.

You remember that day, I'll remember these.
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

It would be the 1st of 3 AFC championship games the Browns would reach in 4 seasons.

You remember that day, I'll remember these.

"There's a gleam men. There's a gleam. Let's get the gleam." Marty Schottenheimer
Iwas not born a Browns's fan, I chose to be one as I was an Army brat living in Europe 4-8 years of age coming back Stateside to Cleveland as my father was in charge of our recruiting in the region so we moved to a suburb of Cleveland, Euclid Ohio with a new development. Had no knowledge of football, baseball. In Europe we had no TV so I played. Up the block was mount Penteli our choice of where to play. Crystals,
arrowheads, bullet shells from different eras of history. So for most the day I would jump from rock to rock. Almost daily I would walk to the American Embassyclub and swim at the pool and eat hamburgers. S

So when I arrived to Cleveland I was built like a rock and could throw due to all the rocks I would throw at mountains or at beaches.
Anyways at Cleveland the kids would play football on the sodden lawns, me not having a clue. "So you want me to run and you guys try to wrestle me to the ground? Fat chance, soon they were all calling me Jim Brown. Not knowing who he was I slowly learned who he was and who the Browns were, it was 1964 season, our last NFL championship and my first as a fan.

We moved almost every year till my dad went to Vietnam. I remained a Browns fan every year without wavering. Rarely would they be on TV till playoffs. I mostly couldn'twait for the Monday paper and read the box scores. ESPN was the greatest, then came satellites at bars and I would get to watch my Browns.

Then Modell sold his so to the devil...we won big in the playoffs beating the jets as my father retired in long Island NY.
BB had our team there for a SB run , then the rat models mid season announced the end. It tore the hearts out of us fans and out of the players as I don't think we won a game after the announcement. I remember fans taking seats and the team was gone. What do I do now as a fan? Start watching the Ravens? Maybe I would have been a Ravens fan if BB remained. So I made a decision, no nfl football. I would watch playoffs but no team of my own. Cleveland fans fought the NFL and when they won I decided to remain a Browns fan on their return. I guess if no comeback I would eventually become a fan of a team. In stead I had a vacation from NFL football and sunk myself in coaching youth football, 4 teams different age group all called The Browns...so I remained a "Cleveland" Browns fan, if not Cleveland, even though I didn't live there, if not Cleveland then they were not the Browns...cause at the time Baltimore team might be called Browns. Then what I was not a Cleveland fan I was a Cleveland Browns fan. New team new name for me meant nothing. Cleveland Browns or nothing. As luck had it I got my Cleveland Browns...first two seasons I was catiuos and took time but started warming up to the new Browns. 2001 started back at full Fandom I was hooked again and here we are finally getting there checking off the proper boxes.
#1 QB
2 LT
3 edge rushers
4 cover corners

These were the rare commodities of NFL football finally we got a GM (Dorsey)Berry that gets it.

Jmho
I lived in Cleveland in 1979 thru 1981. I was not a fan of really any team but I watched lots of football.

Then in 1980 on a cold and sunny day I had to go to the store. I lived on W 101st street between I-90 and Lorain Blvd. So I decided that I would walk to the store. The Browns were playing I do NOT know who, and my downstairs neighbor who was a die hard Browns fan was acting like he always did yelling and screaming at the TV set, you all know like Browns fans do.

Anyway as I walked I could hear people yelling from the street at their TV sets one house after the other it was the same story. By the time I reached Lorrain Blvd my ears were ringing. As I approached Lorrain Blvd the streets were empty not a car in sight. As you all likely know Lorrain is a very busy street still not a car in sight. When I got to the store the clerk was of course listening to the game and you guessed it yelling at the radio. He said I was the ONLY customer to come in sense the game began. Then he told me I was nuts for not being at home. I said I wasn't a Browns fan although I watched football all the time. He acted as though I had brain damage.

By the time I processed what I had seen and heard on my walk that day I had decided that Browns fans were the BEST fans in football, if they so loved their team this much then I wanted to a be a part of that. I wasn't won over because the Browns were a good football team, I was won over because the Browns had a fan base that loved them so much. I was hooked. From that day forward I was the guy sitting in front of the TV every Sunday yelling at the TV.

As many of you know that was the season of Brian Sipe and the Kardiac kids. I should have mentioned this I was born and raised in Northern New York, by the time I was nineteen I lived in Houston. The fans in NNY were Giant fans but lacked passion IMO, and that was also true in Houston. They loved their teams as long as they were winning but that was it. Anyway I was from that day to this day a die hard Browns fan.

I have witnessed Red Right 88, on perhaps the coldest day in Cleveland Browns history. I think it was like 20 bellow that day. I remember watching the evening news when the Browns had finally won a playoff spot for the 1st time sense I do NOT know but quite some time. There were thousands of fans at the airport when the Browns returned from Cincinnati on again a very cold winter night I think 2 bellow. Man when you saw the passion for this team flowing thru the blood of these fans you just couldn't not be a Browns Fan. Everywhere you went and nearly every car you saw on the road in those days had a bumper sticker that simply said Go Browns.

As that season wore on their we more and more signs hanging from everywhere. The city was electrified that their Browns were headed to the playoffs. You could feel it in the air it was that profound.

I remember the Browns fans repeatedly coming to their feet when the Browns trailed in games and I tell you this it was the fans that willed this team to win, and win they did. That team was clearly inspired to give more to fight harder and I feel certain although I have never heard a player from the era say so, but it was the fans that drove that team. #12 was all in, it just made me even more hooked on the Browns.

I wasn't born a Browns Fan like most of you, but I damned sure will die one. Very proud to be one even thru all the losing we have done for the past 20+ years I never wavered just like all of you. I sure want in some respects to see the fans of today be once again the BEST #12's in all of football. One thing they did in those days they never gave up, they stood and willed that team to victory after victory it truly was the proudest moments of just being #12, it's why they say the Brown's fan are the best in all of football, because they are.

This season I believe is about our return to the tradition of winning football in Cleveland. I will forever hate Art, and while I wasn't the guy who pissed on Art's grave I could have been. It's our turn to lift and celebrate the arrival of the Lombardi. If they thought Cleveland was crazy when the Cav's won the world championship they are in for the shock of a lifetime when the Browns lift the Lombardi it will easily be the biggest celebration ever held in Cleveland or any place else for that matter. Books will be written about the events of that day.

This is our year I am absolutely convinced...... #12 lives on...............

Love hearing about the stories of fans.

Although being born in Cleveland then moving away at three and moving back at twelve. When I finished high school (Mayfield High) in 65. I moved away then came back briefly.
Then left for good.

I lived in many places. Moved to Atlanta in 78. And have lived there since except for 5 years in Reno and then back.

Before directv it was all where could I see the game. Hotels showing the game. Then Sports bars. Then Browns clubs sports bars. Finally directv.

No matter where I saw games. It was the passion that has been mentioned that always fueled the fire.

Browns fans to me were like Cubs fans in baseball. It didn't matter what happened we supported the team. "Believeland" captures the heart of how people support this team.

It is important to the lives of Browns fans.

This now our time. I want to see Cleveland rejoice. I want the fans to be rewarded. Want that damn parade and tears of joy.

It means more to us that is just the way it is.
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
Modell the Traitor.

Hate that man. Hatehatehate. Hate him so much, I wrote a song about it. Liketahearit?hereitgo-

"I believe, as my friends all will tell,
There exists both a heaven and hell.
-And I'm sure there's a spot
In that place that is hot
That's now home to that gashole Modell."

<insert chorus from `Hallelujah`>
I remember well in the spring of 1984 when Irsay packed up those Mayflower moving trucks in the dead of night and took the Colts away from the fans of Baltimore. I was in my mid 20's at the time. I remember their sadness, their pain and their anger. I remember how they felt and the motions they had at the feeling of desertion that a tried and true tradition had been stolen from them. My heart went out to them.

Then, only 11 years later, the politicians of their city actually worked out a plan to inflict that same pain upon us and that same fan base who felt so wronged when it happened to them embraced it. It wasn't an accident. It was no less than a plot to inflict that same punishment upon us they felt so betrayed by when it was done to them.

So yes, Modell will always be someone I despise. Even in death. But I hold no less hatred for Raven fans who knew the pain they would inflict upon us as they themselves were forced to endure. For those of them who embraced the Ravens when they came to Baltimore they are no less guilty than Irsay was when he took their Colts from them. As far as I'm concerned I hope they all have a place in hell right beside Modell.

The Steelers were our rivals long before there ever was a Ravens team. But after the hypocrisy their city and fans have shown, after the intentional pain they inflicted all full well knowing what that felt like, after claiming how wrong doing that was and having to live through that same pain and then embracing Modell?

They are worse than the Steelers could ever hope to be.
© DawgTalkers.net