DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:05 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:06 PM
That’s big and totally necessary IMO
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:10 PM
Anyone know the damage?

Regardless, that got a big woohoo! out of me while I was on my conference call.
Posted By: Swish Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:16 PM
great extension
Posted By: Dave Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:17 PM
Very happy to see that so far we're keeping the band together. Teller is vital to the continuity of our running game, IMO.

(Memo to IHOP: you are missing out on a natural endorsement opportunity if you don't hook up with Wyatt Teller.)
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:19 PM
Awesome!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:20 PM
I imagine they knew if they kept waiting the price tag would keep increasing
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:24 PM
https://twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/1458062399043428353

MKC says it's ~$14/year. 2nd highest paid guard in the league.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:24 PM

So essentially, what OBJ would have made in 2022 if he were in Cleveland went to Wyatt?

I'm totally fine with that.

On a serious note: It's probably not that cut and dry and the contract terms might dictate the contract increases over time and the $14m/yr is on average. Still, a rather ironic comparison.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by Dave
Very happy to see that so far we're keeping the band together. Teller is vital to the continuity of our running game, IMO.

(Memo to IHOP: you are missing out on a natural endorsement opportunity if you don't hook up with Wyatt Teller.)

Or Bisquick Pancake Mix.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:30 PM
Posted By: Swish Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:31 PM
im so glad we are making sure to prioritize the trenches. nobody wins games if you cant control the LoS on both sides of the ball.

and Teller. man i swear this guy has a pancake block every game!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:33 PM
when we give it to Chubb off tackle to the left on a counter type action and pull Teller to lead him … that’s our butter
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:34 PM
$28M is quite a bit for a guard (my source on that is Twitter comments).
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober

Currently 4th highest in the league according to Spotrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/sort-value/guard/limit-100/

Looks like the annual amount is 4th (tied) as well.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:41 PM
Def. a signing we needed, I have zero complaints as long as he stays healthy, as we all know he is an animal and sets a tone for us...No problem trading his salary for OBJs
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:41 PM
That’s about what I expected. Salaries increase … by the end of it he’ll be a middle of the road guard
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:47 PM
Outstanding news.

That’s one way to put the OBj news cycle way back in the rear view mirror and bring some more positivity.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Swish
im so glad we are making sure to prioritize the trenches. nobody wins games if you cant control the LoS on both sides of the ball.

Those are just the ones we see. There are probably more than one.

Let's see....Teller or OBJ? Teller or OBJ?? LOL...not even close
Posted By: Dave Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
when we give it to Chubb off tackle to the left on a counter type action and pull Teller to lead him … that’s our Mrs Butterworth

Fixed!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:54 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:56 PM
Well said
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by Swish

Those are just the ones we see. There are probably more than one.

Let's see....Teller or OBJ? Teller or OBJ?? LOL...not even close

+1...I'm sure theres some pancakes we miss, Heck I even saw Bitonio pancake someone this past weekend...Teller>OBJ all day.
Posted By: FATE Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:06 PM
Hoping to be around 12M per... but it ain't my money! Way to get it done boys, and I love that this is right on the heels of the OBJ exit.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:11 PM
I love that this is right on the heels of the OBJ exit.

Who?
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Outstanding.....
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by FATE
Hoping to be around 12M per... but it ain't my money! Way to get it done boys, and I love that this is right on the heels of the OBJ exit.

Not 100% accurate. Season ticket prices are directly tied to team income, which goes towards operating expenses.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:21 PM
Outstanding. The guy just goes out there and dominates. This is incredible news.

Second or fourth highest paid guard in the league. That makes sense to me.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:24 PM
Salaries dont mean a ton to me. Berry and company can finagle the cap with bonuses/etc to manage it
Posted By: bonefish Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:28 PM
This is an excellent signing.

Way to go Andrew that is how you stay ahead of the curve.

Teller is young stud player. He fits.

Really excels as a pulling guard in the run game.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
Outstanding. The guy just goes out there and dominates. This is incredible news.

I'm not a huge cap wizard or anything, but when you have a guy who's rating as the top, or even top 5 guard in the league, giving him 2-4 highest paid money is all right with me because these contracts tend to leapfrog each other as time goes on.

I feel like the ones where teams really get screwed are when you have a player who is top 5ish and then he is made the HIGHEST paid player at the position and it resets everything.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:30 PM
Great news. Was hoping for a little less just so we can spend more elsewhere, but I'm stoked we got him signed. With the cap numbers expected to increase next year pretty significantly and the even more the next year, I'm not worried about his impact on cap.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:41 PM
That's good business right there...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by clwb419
Great news. Was hoping for a little less just so we can spend more elsewhere, but I'm stoked we got him signed. With the cap numbers expected to increase next year pretty significantly and the even more the next year, I'm not worried about his impact on cap.

The deal is the cap should leap a great deal over the next few years. I have no real stats here, but I call if the Cowboy affect. It seems that every time Dallas starts to push the cap and looks like they will have to cut roster to make the payroll, the cap magically increases enough for them to not cover the extensions but also give them some extra to play with.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by dawglover05
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

I'm not a huge cap wizard or anything, but when you have a guy who's rating as the top, or even top 5 guard in the league, giving him 2-4 highest paid money is all right with me because these contracts tend to leapfrog each other as time goes on.

I feel like the ones where teams really get screwed are when you have a player who is top 5ish and then he is made the HIGHEST paid player at the position and it resets everything.

Exactly - when you are in the top 5-6-7 at a position and you redo your deal, 9 times out of 10 you become the highest paid at the position. It's just how it works.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 03:04 PM
Our best O-lineman locked up.. great news.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 03:04 PM
Well deserved…and good to know he WANTS to be here!
Posted By: BustkeviousMingo Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 03:09 PM
Love this extension. Smart move by AB to get this done now instead of taking the chance to lose Teller in FA after this season. Like the old saying goes...games are won and lost in the trenches
Posted By: FATE Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by FATE

Not 100% accurate. Season ticket prices are directly tied to team income, which goes towards operating expenses.
You're safe, they'll just build it into the drink prices. Got myself a beer and my wife a double amaretto sour last week -- $42. saywhat
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 03:34 PM
With how much the cap is about to go up we can more than afford this. Rewarding guys on the team with new contracts is a big deal to other guys on the team who have not yet had their payday. They see that they will be rewarded if they keep working hard. It is not something we were able to do for a long time and is nice to see.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 04:01 PM
Excellent.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 04:54 PM
Nick Chubb and Baker Mayfield approve. So do I.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 05:20 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 05:37 PM
Teller represents the type of guy we want: tough, good worker, wants to be here, etc
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 05:38 PM
probably means that OBJ is getting claimed.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 06:07 PM
j/c...

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 06:16 PM
Super happy about the extension! But sadly, I don't see us paying him that 17 an 18 mil... we might but that is a lot for a guard, I would think. What do you cap gurus think?
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 06:17 PM
Great signing. Besides him being a great player, he is a salt-of-the-earth type guy, like Chubb and Baker. And he is young and injury-resistant (knocking on wood). I love the core of our team being high character, lunch pal carrying, young, durable players!!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 06:38 PM

While I certainly agree that is the perception, "in the moment", I think we have to look at it in terms of the length of the contract. For the year 2022 it sounds like a lot. But by year three and four of his contract it will sound more like a bargain. The salary cap rises every year and the price of the players go up every year. So over the course of a four year deal I think it won't look as bad as it does in the moment.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 06:43 PM
I'm not a cap guru but it's obvious by the pay escalation that it's certainly a two year deal with the final two years in question.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I'm not a cap guru but it's obvious by the pay escalation that it's certainly a two year deal with the final two years in question.

Yes, that was my thought too, but he's guaranteed 28 mil so who knows...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 07:03 PM
That's the part he will get no matter what. But you're looking at 35.4 million over those last two years. I'm guessing that's the point he will be asked to renegotiate his deal.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Last I read, we will save $3m on Beckham's cap hit if he goes unclaimed. What a good use of the money. And only $5m hit next year is super. We're also protected in case his performance tumbles the last 2 years. Good deal for both club and player.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 08:07 PM
Good Old Teller thumbsup
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Super happy about the extension! But sadly, I don't see us paying him that 17 an 18 mil... we might but that is a lot for a guard, I would think. What do you cap gurus think?

I think it's a really good contract.
The big signing bonus gets spread over 5 years, but it's clearly a two-year deal. When that two years is up look for another extension, as long as he's still playing well, that will convert those big future salaries into signing bonuses, keeping him and lowering those future years.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 09:24 PM
The goal now is to groom replacements for Bitonio, Tretter, Conklin, and Hubbard.

Hance is looking like a keeper for one of those spots, but the others are definitely up-in-the-air.

Both Bitonio, Tretter, and Conklin are all free agents after 2022.
Hubbard is already done in Cleveland.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 09:44 PM
I'm a big Hubbard fan, but the truth is that first backup olineman should be a younger (translation: cheaper) guy. He has all my respect for coming here and playing well, then not so much but taking a paycut and lesser role and still being an awesome teammate and important (though unheralded) cog in the Oline.

Only so much $$ to go around.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 09:55 PM
Wyatt Teller is usually a Guard not a tackle. Now, fearing that Conklin and Hubbard will never play healthy in the NFL again, where does that leave the program.
I think I'd prefer they keep Tretter around into his 50's, Nick Harris is not on the same level.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 10:08 PM
Yet you have zero clue how Harris will turn out. I hope you do realize that Teller was bashed by Buffalo fans during his first year too.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/09/21 11:49 PM
Worth every penny!
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/10/21 12:10 AM
I've really been impressed with Hance as most of us have.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/10/21 12:26 AM
I think all Browns fans should thank OBJ for his lunacy so we could re-sign the best guard in the NFL.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/10/21 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
I think all Browns fans should thank OBJ for his lunacy so we could re-sign the best guard in the NFL.

This is a nice narrative but Teller was likely always going to be re-signed and OBJ was always going to be on a different team.
Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/10/21 03:01 AM
So glad to have him in brown and orange. He is the best in the game and he plays for us, y'all! Well deserved.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/10/21 01:17 PM
Rumor has it Bitonio is up next ..
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/10/21 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15

This is a nice narrative but Teller was likely always going to be re-signed and OBJ was always going to be on a different team.
So maybe it just sped things up a bit?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 11/10/21 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15

So maybe it just sped things up a bit?

Maybe. But the money is in future years so probably not.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 12/05/21 11:10 PM
I haven't seen this posted:

https://www.golongtd.com/p/wyatt-teller-is-why-we-watch-football
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 12/06/21 04:25 AM
Outstanding profile on Teller. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 12/06/21 03:41 PM
Glad we did this personally. For those in the know, does Teller have much further upside or is he developmentally considered a "finished" project? Glad he is with our offensive line coach! Carry on!
Posted By: eotab Re: Wyatt Teller Signs Extension - 12/06/21 03:45 PM
All on him... he can continue his study in his trade and get more awesome as he learns more. Teller Bitonio and Tretter the brains of the outfit make a very good interior. Wills is getting better with age and Conklin needs to be replaced. He is a stud when healthy but he is almost never healthy... superconfused

He has to get over the pancake block hish is good for run plays but pass pro he needs to be more disciplined. Wish I can teach the finiahing punch he needs to have to reach his madness... naughtydevil
© DawgTalkers.net