DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 09:58 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:02 PM
[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Posted By: Xanthros Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:09 PM
So my guess is the one year suspension must be happening. Brisset is better than Rosen but Rosen is better than Dobbs. The only way this happens if they have the info already. Not like there was a rush to pick up Rosen.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Xanthros
So my guess is the one year suspension must be happening. Brisset is better than Rosen but Rosen is better than Dobbs. The only way this happens if they have the info already. Not like there was a rush to pick up Rosen.

I think it has more to do with Dobbs not being very good ! Give Brisset a little better back up !
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:19 PM
Dobbs must be terrible.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:35 PM

I think it might be more about the Browns bracing for/expecting a suspension in general and wanting three active QBs on the roster. I don't think it directly points to a full season. It could be four games and they might want 3 guys to work with, and once Watson would come back, one is cut.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:41 PM
I'm fine with this signing for various reasons.
Posted By: Halfback32 Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:44 PM
I seem to remember Rosen's college coach saying Rosen would never be happy in Cleveland. He needed bright lights, big city, museums, and culture. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:52 PM
Oh the irony.....

I have a good friend of mine whos grandson played HS football with Josh Rosen. They remain in contact. There was some speculation at the time that the Browns had interest, but let's just say it was not mutual.

I watched a lot of Josh in college and would have never guessed that he would have had as difficult time as he had.

But college and the NFL are not the same, and I hope that both Josh and the Browns are able to get the past behind them.
Posted By: Dave Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 10:53 PM
AB showing solidarity with Sashi re: AJ McCarron & Hue? Does the QB trailer get a hot tub now?
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
I'm fine with this signing for various reasons.

I'm fine with it as well. Just a necessity at this point.

Jmo - but, who's to say he'd beat out Dobbs anyway?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/21/22 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I think it might be more about the Browns bracing for/expecting a suspension in general and wanting three active QBs on the roster. I don't think it directly points to a full season. It could be four games and they might want 3 guys to work with, and once Watson would come back, one is cut.

This makes sense.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 12:13 AM
The Browns have not, /can not/ chose not to?/ take your pick,
The Browns did not go 5 months in this one offseason with a consistent plan at quarterback.

Where the buck stops with the owners.
By December the Browns could have the Vikings 3rd string QB as their next plan at Quarterback.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Oh the irony.....

I have a good friend of mine whos grandson played HS football with Josh Rosen. They remain in contact. There was some speculation at the time that the Browns had interest, but let's just say it was not mutual.

I watched a lot of Josh in college and would have never guessed that he would have had as difficult time as he had.

But college and the NFL are not the same, and I hope that both Josh and the Browns are able to get the past behind them.

I don't blame Josh for not wanting to come to Cleveland and the circus that was being led by Hue.

As far as Josh and the Browns getting the past behind them, was there ever a past to have to put behind ?
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 12:24 AM
I think I would rather have DR Rosenrosen or DR Rosenp*nis from Fletch.
Posted By: IrishDawg42 Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Oh the irony.....

I don't blame Josh for not wanting to come to Cleveland and the circus that was being led by Hue.

As far as Josh and the Browns getting the past behind them, was there ever a past to have to put behind ?

You post this as if the circus in Cleveland has ever stopped. I’ve been watching a the same sad crap since 2019. At 51 years old, I’m pretty damned convinced it’s never going to be over.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 12:46 AM
Well, there goes the ham sandwich. This DW ordeal is going to send the organization to the poor house. Wow, we must be desperate.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 12:49 AM
I'd like to get a point across.
On the one hand, you could have a run of the mill, reasonable QB situation with some time in the league on the team built in, for instance on the one hand let's say, for the sake of argument on the one hand,
you'd have perhaps a Ryan Tannehill on the Titans, or a Kirk Cousins on the Vikings, that would represent the QB situation that has had time to develop, and grow, and stay on the same team.

Now, on the other hand, you could have what the Browns appear to be chasing. On this 2nd hand you could have what the Browns are doing and for the Sake of Argument I'll say, the Browns' while soo much chasing the next greatest improvement,
Let's pretend the Browns are for the sake of argument allowed to sign Tom Brady today for the veteran league minimum.

Now! I'll say, that, because of the continuity and the time put in with the same team, and the fact, the intangible fact,
the complete intangible that a player who has put in some time on one team, will give the extra effort when the chips are down and the mud hits the quarterpanels will outperform a player who is just signed, and will do it consistently.

Therefore, on the first hand, both Ryan Tannehill on the Titans, and Kirk Cousins on the Vikings, if allowed to stay and given the commitment and the teams' support,
would both outperform a hypothetical Tom Brady signed by the Browns for a league veteran minimum.
Because they know their team.
Because they know their division and teams schedule.
Because they know their everything, had some time to develop, and had their teams support.

I don't know if the Browns will ever learn that. But the Browns, where the buck stops with the owners, seem to be going with an entirely new plan at the Quarterback position every 5 months.

It's not even getting funny anymore, it's preposterous.
(Can we honestly say Kellon Mond, aka the Vikings 3rd stringer, would Not be the Browns Qb in the next 12 months? Nobody knows, but,
it's not this way with every franchise in the NFL. The Browns are an outlier in that regard.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 12:51 AM
I think we actually downgraded the QB room.

Is Kevin Johnson available?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 12:52 AM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Wow, we must be desperate.

brownie
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:02 AM
I'm available to be the third QB... though as soon as I sign Im going on IR.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:12 AM
Was Uncle Rico busy??
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:23 AM
Just how bad is Dobbs?
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:26 AM
Ahhh... So Rosen will be chosen...

To be the backup to the backup.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Was Uncle Rico busy??

"How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?"
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:31 AM
Amazing how the Browns organization has employed 2 QB busts from the same draft
Josh Rosen as soon as adversity smacked him in the face at the NFL level
He folded like bedsheets at a Chinese laundry.
He never had to struggle in life. Everything handed to him. Never had to work
For anything. File him under soft and fragile
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:37 AM
Amazing how the Browns organization has employed 2 QB busts from the same draft
Josh Rosen as soon as adversity smacked him in the face at the NFL level
He folded like bedsheets at a Chinese laundry.
He never had to struggle in life. Everything handed to him. Never had to work
For anything. File him under soft and fragile
Posted By: SunDawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 02:09 AM
LMFAO ... wtf
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 02:48 AM
Now we have two QB's on the roster that I don't want on the team. Both are embarrassments. Can only hope the other two are not. Can't imagine wanting to watch Rosen play for half the season or more, OMG. banghead
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Halfback32
I seem to remember Rosen's college coach saying Rosen would never be happy in Cleveland. He needed bright lights, big city, museums, and culture. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

The irony is Cleveland has the museums and culture that rate with cities much larger. The Art Museum and Natural History museum are wonderful. The Rock Hall . The orchestra has a world reputation, and Playhouse Square is about as good as it gets in this country outside of Broadway. I have never been to the Science center, I may have to check it out on one of my trips up this year.

As for Rosen, I don't think it reflects in any way on what Watson might get in the way of suspension. I think it reflects more on Dobbs and also reflects on Brissett in some ways. When i say brissett, maybe a bit on wanting some better competition to push Brissett in camp, but more likely it provides us with a back-up for the future.

Whichever QB plays in place of Watson, he will have tape to build on seeking a starting gig somewhere else. I doubt we will be able to sign them to that $7mil per year back-up QB gig. The guy who doesn't get the starting job while Watson is out might be ready to sign that 3 year, $24 mil deal to be the Browns longer term back-up.

I think this is posturing to have a long term back-up in the system as we move past this season.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 09:10 AM
May the least crappy guy win the 3rd string QB job.

and then lose it to somebody we pick up on waivers after the final cuts.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 11:26 AM
j/c,

Well we did have a open roster spot after trading Baker.
Posted By: Xanthros Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:16 PM
I would have rather seen them go after Minshew than Rosen. You would think they would have stayed away from any other QB from that draft not named Allen or Jackson.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 01:55 PM
Rosen definitely fits with one of the FO's bread-and-butter... high draft picks that didn't work out for some reason.

That said, I felt like we had a VERY specific type of QB in mind after we acquired Watson... and I feel we have broken away from that in a pretty significant way with Rosen. That leads me to wonder what they really want out of him. I think their intention is much closer to camp arm vs anything longer term.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 03:05 PM
Agree, camp arm....and check out his arm length......REALLY short arms for 6'4" guy.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 03:25 PM
Some people have convinced themselves that signing Rosen isn't an indication of exactly what the Browns are expecting to hear in the Robinson decision shortly. They didn't sign him expecting a 4-6 game suspension. Good luck with that.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 03:53 PM
And some people have convinced themselves that Watson is a rapey predator that should never play football again.

Yet, no one outside of the actual investigation knows much really.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 03:54 PM
26 women did. Or in the case of the Texans, 30 women.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 04:01 PM
Let's keep the Watson drama in a Watson thread, please. This thread is depressing enough all on its own.

Thanks.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Let's keep the Watson drama in a Watson thread, please. This thread is depressing enough all on its own.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Some may be right it is for a camp arm, but I don't think so. Teams don't do that with a vet. That is usually some young undrafted guy. Rosen is here to have a shot to make the team.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 04:18 PM
I think Memphis was correct earlier in the thread. Bringing in Rosen isn't a big deal. Dude has failed in the NFL. Browns are protecting themselves because they don't know if Watson will be suspended or not. If he is, Brissett will be the starter and Rosen is competing w/Dobbs for 3rd string. Dobbs is a great guy to have on your team. Very bright guy, but you probably don't want him playing in a game.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I think Memphis was correct earlier in the thread. Bringing in Rosen isn't a big deal. Dude has failed in the NFL. Browns are protecting themselves because they don't know if Watson will be suspended or not. If he is, Brissett will be the starter and Rosen is competing w/Dobbs for 3rd string. Dobbs is a great guy to have on your team. Very bright guy, but you probably don't want him playing in a game.

I would amend that in a minor way. I am assuming Watson gets suspended, so to me they will be competing for 2nd string...at least in a short term view. If Watson is set free, I could see us cutting either Rosen or Dobbs the next day. Probably Rosen. I don't think he is a good 3rd QB candidate.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 04:46 PM
Agreed. I think Rosen would play in games before Dobbs, but once Watson is on the active roster, Dobbs has a better chance to stick. Just my opinion.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 04:59 PM
I read somewhere that both Brissett and Dobbs were brought in because the FO wanted QBs who could move well - not DW well, but well.. I always chuckled at that because I sure don't remember watching Brissett and thinking he was anywhere near mobile. Anyway...that philosophy makes the Rosen signing even more odd. I certainly don't remember Rosen being considered mobile.

I know the pickings are slim...but I'd rather have Mullins than Rosen...or Minshew as someone else noted earlier.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Some people have convinced themselves that signing Rosen isn't an indication of exactly what the Browns are expecting to hear in the Robinson decision shortly. They didn't sign him expecting a 4-6 game suspension. Good luck with that.

I think it comes down to what we think the FO thinks of Rosen. Does the FO see him as actual competition to Brissett? Aside the the obvious stuff, I just find it really odd they brought in a QB that's so different from Watson, Brissett and Dobbs.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 06:05 PM
I really don't think that was the deciding factor. No matter who your starter is a team needs what they see as a legitimate back up. If you now believe you will not have the starer you previously thought you would, you now need a new back up. It seems when they thought they had the QB they just signed to a 230 million dollar guaranteed contract, Brissett made sense as a back up. When the options changed to Brissett being the starter, Dobbs as the designated back up wasn't going to work for them. It seems pretty clear that Dobbs worked fine as the third option at the position but not as the second option.

I just wanted to clarify I don't think the outcome would have changed if we would have had Rosen as the backup and Brissett had not been on the roster. In either scenario it would have made Dobbs the backup and I feel this FO would have singed a better option to be the backup rather than keep Dobbs at that status.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I would amend that in a minor way. I am assuming Watson gets suspended, so to me they will be competing for 2nd string...at least in a short term view. If Watson is set free, I could see us cutting either Rosen or Dobbs the next day. Probably Rosen. I don't think he is a good 3rd QB candidate.

I am sorry...I couldn't help it....But when I read that last line.....All I could think about was Ralphie writing his theme and saying " I don't think that a football's a very good Christmas Present"
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 08:16 PM
I hear what you're saying, and I do agree with you. Via what you just described (need to have a legit backup) I just think Rosen is a really curious choice if that's the case.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 08:21 PM
I said earlier that I was good with signing for various reasons. So here are my thoughts on different reasons.

- Like Memphis said, it could be assisting with a possible suspensions. That would make sense.

- I don't expect Rosen to all of a sudden be a starting QB.

- The cost and length won't be much where it will affect much regarding cap reasons. This is a signing before camp. What that means, he is getting an audition firsthand to see if the coaches can bring out something previous teams could not or identify weaknesses the coaches could help improve. I almost look at his signing as bringing a undrafted free agent into rookie camp. Bring him put him out on the field, the QB coach has time to work on playbook and fundamentals with Rosen. Remember, this will be training camp and not in the middle of the season where most practices are preparing for the next week not fundamental work.

And If it doesn't work, then cut and move on. Just like you would do when you bring in an extra kicker during training camp. If an emergency comes up during the season and he's still available, then you can bring him back in since he has some knowledge of the offense.

- I know one of the knocks on him is mobility, we do have a great offensive line that should help with lack of mobility and a cleaner pocket. It's on him to a read defenses pre/post snap and identifying the right receiver to throw. He did have some arm talent when coming out of college.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 08:24 PM

I definitely can understand that. At this point in time, I basically see it as churning the bottom of your roster to see what you have in the player that has experience in starting (even if it was ugly, lol)
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 08:27 PM
The guy is a Turd - always has been. This will be his 6th team in 4 years - but the Browns will bring out something different.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer
The guy is a Turd - always has been. This will be his 6th team in 4 years - but the Browns will bring out something different.

If only we still had the QB Whisper. rofl
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 08:51 PM
I think we have reached the point where people are just wanting to bash the Browns. Signing Rosen is insignificant.

The Browns are a contender if Watson plays. W/out Watson, the Browns are not a contender. That was true before they traded for him and it is still true. Those of us who are still rooting for the Browns have to hope Watson's suspension is short or he isn't suspended at all. The latter is doubtful. There is a chance that the suspension might not be too long given the NFL's lack of tangible evidence. However, they still might slap a long suspension on him. Josh Rosen isn't going to make a difference one way or the other. Not understanding the angst over a 3rd or 4th string qb.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/22/22 10:03 PM
Rosen is insignificant. I totally agree.

He may not even be on the team the whole year.

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 01:34 AM
I agree with you on Rosen, but I still think even without Watson and with this roster we can still compete for a playoff spot. Although Watson would make things a little easier in that respect thumbsup
Posted By: bugs Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by bonefish

Ballpeen made a valid point. Josh is a good backup QB.

The thing no one is considering is Rosen is very smart. I'm sure everyone remembers Ken Dorsey.

If Rosen is similar to Dorsey from a cerebral football point of view, you are basically adding another QB coach. I think this is a good thing for whatever that is worth!
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by PETE314

I am sorry...I couldn't help it....But when I read that last line.....All I could think about was Ralphie writing his theme and saying " I don't think that a football's a very good Christmas Present"

Yes, but in his mind, Ralphie got an Attttttttttttttt on that paper.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 03:11 AM
I would much rather have .... say ....*puke* someone like Colt McCoy. (and I know he's not availablew)

That should really demonstrate how much I despise this signing. Bleh.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 04:15 AM
Rosen was chosen. catfight

Jimmy Haslam gets tired of new shoes like Sarah Jessica Parker gets tired of quarterbacks. < I see it.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by bugs

The thing no one is considering is Rosen is very smart. I'm sure everyone remembers Ken Dorsey.

If Rosen is similar to Dorsey from a cerebral football point of view, you are basically adding another QB coach. I think this is a good thing for whatever that is worth!

I hope Josh Rosen can be a good backup for us...but thus far in his career, he's done absolutely nothing to indicate that he may be a viable backup.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 12:28 PM

bugs, Dobbs is very intelligent. I think that is why the Browns brought him in. He's like another coach. You don't want him on the field, but the guy is very well respected for his intelligence and Ben relied on him a lot in Pittsburgh.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
- I know one of the knocks on him is mobility, we do have a great offensive line that should help with lack of mobility and a cleaner pocket. It's on him to a read defenses pre/post snap and identifying the right receiver to throw. He did have some arm talent when coming out of college.

We have a very good OLine WHEN HEALTHY. Our stud RT missed (10) games with injuries last year and is coming off a significant knee injury.

Our LT who is still transitioning from RT tore up his ankle during our 2nd possession of the season last year and he struggled for the entire season...a season important for his development as a LT vs RT. I fear he will be our '23 RT and we go searching for a starting LT.

We moved on from a rock at C due to legit salary cap concerns...there is much to like about the new C...but he's new and was a 5th Rd pick.

Our swing OT played one game last year after getting injured...after his season ended due to injury the year-before-last.

We have (2) absolute STUDS at LG & RG.

If they feel like any OLine can make up for a QBs lack of mobility, they are farting in the wind. If they think an OLine can make or break a guy like Rosen, they should be fired.

Rosen is better than Dobbs...THAT'S the only logical reason why he is here...for now.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 12:35 PM

bugs, Dobbs is very intelligent. I think that is why the Browns brought him in. He's like another coach. You don't want him on the field, but the guy is very well respected for his intelligence and Ben relied on him a lot in Pittsburgh.

I've read those sentiments about Dobbs elsewhere as well as here...in addition...comments that he's simply a great guy.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 12:41 PM
I think I know OL play well. It's one of my strengths as an evaluator. I think the Browns OL is outstanding as a whole. No team has great players at every position along the OL. The Browns continually give their QB more time to throw than other lines. They open up large holes in the running game.

While PFF is not the end-all, most people who know the game understand they are the most reliable source for evaluations that the public has access to. They ranked the Browns 1st overall in 2020. The ranking slipped to 8th overall last year and they cited the injuries to the tackes as the reason for the slippage. They have the Browns ranked 2nd overall going into the 2022 season.

The Browns OL is elite!
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 02:40 PM
I think I know OL play well. It's one of my strengths as an evaluator. I think the Browns OL is outstanding as a whole. No team has great players at every position along the OL. The Browns continually give their QB more time to throw than other lines. They open up large holes in the running game.

While PFF is not the end-all, most people who know the game understand they are the most reliable source for evaluations that the public has access to. They ranked the Browns 1st overall in 2020. The ranking slipped to 8th overall last year and they cited the injuries to the tackes as the reason for the slippage. They have the Browns ranked 2nd overall going into the 2022 season.

The Browns OL is elite!

When your starting RT misses (10) games and your starting LT misses (4) games and your #1 backup OT misses (16) games you don't have to read PFF to see that the OLine was NOT very good last year. If healthy and IF Wills can be a legit LT, the Browns Oline COULD be elite. I hope they are.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 02:44 PM
Even with those injuries last year, our OL was still pretty damn good.

Our interior, depth, and Callahan were the reasons why.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 02:50 PM
Even with those injuries last year, our OL was still pretty damn good.

They had many good games and the IOL scored very high and their play proved that out...Conklin was in-and-out (more out than in)...Hubbard was out...Hudson was not ready and it showed...Wills was hurt for all but (2) possessions. Hance started (8) games.

The OL play was good...but it was far from special due to injuries.

This year we have the (3) injured OTs back healthy and a new C. With (2) STUD guards, there is much to be optimistic about. We can stomach (1) OT getting dinged for a but...but not (3).

Edited to add:

I agree that Callahan is quite the OL coach.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 02:54 PM
I'll take one post beginning with "OLine was NOT very good" to the next one saying "OL play was good'. thumbsup
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 04:08 PM
I'll take one post beginning with "OLine was NOT very good" to the next one saying "OL play was good'. thumbsup

I should be more clear...they were good at times...very good at the very few times when they were not decimated by injuries...below average at times...and downright awful in limited instances. Overall, they were rather inconsistent due to injuries and players either not-yet-ready or out-of-position...or both.

What they managed overall over the course of the year was admiralable.

Not very good can equal good...it can also equal what I said ^.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 07:13 PM
Can Josh Rosen play Wide Receiver? Actually, if he could play slot WR, that would be bonkers!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

I should be more clear...they were good at times...very good at the very few times when they were not decimated by injuries...below average at times...and downright awful in limited instances. Overall, they were rather inconsistent due to injuries and players either not-yet-ready or out-of-position...or both.

What they managed overall over the course of the year was admiralable.

Not very good can equal good...it can also equal what I said ^.
Do you want the Boat, or the Mystery box?
Peter Griffin said to Louis. "Hold on Louis, a boat is just a boat, but a Mystery box could be Anything!!, it could even be a BOAT!!!.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 08:28 PM
As some have posted already. They must think, or already know, Watson is going to get a long suspension. Which means it will be even longer since Watson has played. This is looking like a bad trade more and more every day. I think Berry and whoever else decided to do this, made a huge mistake!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/23/22 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
As some have posted already. They must think, or already know, Watson is going to get a long suspension. Which means it will be even longer since Watson has played. This is looking like a bad trade more and more every day. I think Berry and whoever else decided to do this, made a huge mistake!

Signing Josh Rosen, a guy who has been cut by 5 teams, is the team's answer to Watson getting a long suspension? Y'all crack me up.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:32 AM
It's not the answer to Watson getting a long suspension.
I think it is the answer to irreconcileable differences with your franchise Quarterback Baker Mayfield
which, I think, says something about how this franchise develops it's own players.
After all, they drafted Baker with the first overall pick.

... Say this out loud.
The Browns, under Haslam, had 2 #1 overall picks, the TOP pick in the draft, TWICE since 2016.
They also used Three first round picks of the future on the quarterback position, including this years and the next two upcoming.

And the Browns are desperately bringing in Josh Rosen at Quarterback, because Jacoby Brissett isn't very good either.

Now what does that say about how the Browns, owned by Jimmy Haslam, develop their own talent or know how and who to go get in the first place.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 02:36 AM
Josh Rosen's signing is all about the uncertainty of the situation and NOT about some back room word that Watson is being suspended for a long time...If they knew that...don't you think they might have gone after Garoppolo??? It is adding an arm to camp that is probably a better backup than Dobbs to this point because he has starting experience...which Dobbs does not. Doesn't mean Dobbs can't beat him out...but since no one knows what is going on concerning Watson...they are prepping for possibilities.
Posted By: bugs Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 02:44 AM

Valid Point! I forgot that about Dobbs.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:30 PM
Wow Vers talk about dreams coming true. We can Baker and then sign Rosen your ride or die from that draft class.

I think we are trying to hit a homerun. Dave Kingman comes to mind.

The kid has talent why he busted who knows??? Well its a what if Brissett gets hurt moment.

Thanks guys for making what might be the worst trade ever in the NFL!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:43 PM
I did want Rosen in the draft. Evaluating college qbs is almost impossible, even the NFL guys get it wrong all the time.

In the NFL, Rosen has been a bust. I admit it when I am wrong. I was wrong about Rosen.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:45 PM

Getting Watson was not a move for this year alone. See the bigger picture if you can.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:48 PM
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Getting Watson was not a move for this year alone. See the bigger picture if you can.

I think this trade might go down as the best trade the Browns ever made.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:51 PM

I agree, because we weren't going anywhere without a true field general.
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:53 PM
I did want Rosen in the draft. Evaluating college qbs is almost impossible, even the NFL guys get it wrong all the time.

In the NFL, Rosen has been a bust. I admit it when I am wrong. I was wrong about Rosen.

Wasn't picking on you...at the time you want Rosen I know you changed that over the years. Don't take it so personal. Although you did take a big hit with that...lol laugh hey I know I had some mistakes...stupid me I liked Watson coming out of college...lol laugh
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:55 PM
Forget about a lengthy suspension for Watson or not when the Browns FO gives Josh Rosen a contract in the end of July then it looks bad no matter how they spin it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 12:57 PM
notallthere
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 01:01 PM
I don't think Rosen's signing has much of anything to do with DW's pending-or-not suspension. However, I understand why others may disagree because Rosen is nowhere near the same type QB as DW, JB or Dobbs. I don't think his signing is consistent with what the FO has said - or maybe implied - about the attributes they want in their QB.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 01:09 PM
I don't think Rosen's signing has much of anything to do with DW's pending-or-not suspension. However, I understand why others may disagree because Rosen is nowhere near the same type QB as DW, JB or Dobbs. I don't think his signing is consistent with what the FO has said - or maybe implied - about the attributes they want in their QB.

I think in a back-up, they want a game manager who isn't asked to do a whole lot. Brissett fits that mold, I think Rosen can as well. Rosen has the experience that he may be ready to do that.

Maybe not. We signed him to find out. He brings what Dobbs does not....experience.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 01:15 PM
Jeremy Fowler reported that the Browns like his "live arm." He does have that and can make some great intermediate throws. His problem is that he takes too many chances on those throws and that results in stupid interceptions. He is also lacking mobility. He's nothing more than a backup plan in case Watson is suspended for a short period of time. I doubt he'll be on the team long-term. And if Watson is suspended for a long time, the Browns might bring in someone who has had more success, such as Gardner Minshew. I think they didn't bring in Minshew now because he probably would lead to a distraction where folks would be talking about him starting vs Brissett should Watson be suspended for a short time.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 01:54 PM
notallthere

Just so I understand for future discussions. You think I’m not as smart as you or just stupid en general?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 01:58 PM
No, I think you are so butt-hurt that Baker is gone that you are reaching to criticize the FO every chance you get. Signing a 3rd or 4th string qb to come into camp isn't a big deal and doesn't make the Browns look good or bad. Furthermore, they didn't spin a damn thing. I haven't seen any huge press releases from the Browns. Have you?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 02:42 PM
J/C

My initial take was that this had no bearing on the Watson situation and was just a camp arm.

After much thought, my opinion hasn’t changed … but I will add this: Dobbs must be very very bad.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 03:10 PM
We should all recognize the browns made a bad move, simply by the fact that this thread exists and we are having this conversation the week camp starts. But in the infamous words of a non-poet, the Browns is the Browns.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 03:33 PM
We should all recognize the browns made a bad move, simply by the fact that this thread exists and we are having this conversation the week camp starts. But in the infamous words of a non-poet, the Browns is the Browns.

If you're referring to the Rosen signing, why is it a bad move? It's the gm's job to improve the bottom of the roster just as much as the top.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 03:54 PM
No, I think you are so butt-hurt that Baker is gone that you are reaching to criticize the FO every chance you get. Signing a 3rd or 4th string qb to come into camp isn't a big deal and doesn't make the Browns look good or bad. Furthermore, they didn't spin a damn thing. I haven't seen any huge press releases from the Browns. Have you?

Then why didn't they sign Rosen in May or an earlier time. Signing any Quarterback in July, especially after all the news from February to July has been about your starting Quarterback (Projected starting if not suspended), not only looks bad, it looks desperate.
But, to spin it that since Rose is SO bad that his signing isn't even of any note whatsoever, doesn't help how bad or desperate it looks.

The bottom line is they signed a Qb in July, and that doesn't look good. What kind of an offseason plan that starts in January or Februrary, and includes free agency, and the draft and mini camp in June
What kind of an off-season plan includes signing a Quarterback in July after all of those. It! the timing, REEKS of "oops we didn't know what we were doing". or Oops we didn't have a plan, or a plan that was consistent for more than a couple weeks. and <that! looks bad.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 04:00 PM
I'd like to hear how Josh Rosen is nowhere near the same type of Qb as Jacoby Brissett or Joshua Dobbs,
because as far as I see it, they are all 3 backup caliber quarterbacks who can't be relied on to win consistently in the NFL and that is a same type.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 05:26 PM

I agree, because we weren't going anywhere without a true field general.

Yeah, the last year he was healthy which was his first year in Stefanski's system he helped lead us to the playoffs and were only four points away for beating the Chiefs to play in the AFC Championship game. Then last year on this very board going into the season when he was healthy, the vast majority of posters were claiming we would win 11 or 12 games. Then he played a season marred by injuries and most of those same people now claims he sucks. You couldn't get any more "Browns fans" than that!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 05:31 PM

You know as well as everyone else they signed him to be the backup QB to Brisset. Your "3rd or 4th string QB" comment is BS. And of course so is your "you are so butt-hurt that Baker is gone" BS.

Then you have the gall to play the victim. You're hilarious.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 05:34 PM
It's certainly their job to make sure during watson's suspension they have a better backup QB on the roster than Dobbs. I think they accomplished that.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 05:47 PM

Baker belongs to the Panthers and is history in my books. I wish him well but this topic is about the Browns, you know our favorite team.

Making panic moves late in July can’t be labeled as anything then bad planning. Why Josh Rosen, a 2018 first round pick that hasn’t made any positive impact whatsoever in any of his former teams. Why wait until July?

I could understand Garoppolo or similar but this move creates more questions then answers.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/24/22 06:09 PM
it's possible that he's just a camp arm, but if that were the case, we could have signed absolutely anyone. An UDFA would have fit that bill.
Meanwhile, we have two QBs that need all the reps they can get... and we've now brought a guy in to take some of them.

Those things do no coexist well, so there's little chance that he is being looked at as *just* a camp arm. He's here to replace someone, which means, most likely, Dobbs is getting knocked down, which means this definitely IS all about a looming suspension. There's no other reason to bother doing it, period.

Also, hopefully, we're not about to have something stupid drop like one of our other QBs failing a drug test or something. That would be SOOO Cleveland.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 01:23 AM
How is signing a former top 10 pick to compete for the 3rd string or 4th string job such a bad move. Jesus!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 01:37 AM
Why are you asking me that? Where did I ever say whether it was good or bad?
Hint: I did neither. I made no assertion one way or the other.

Jeeesz. crazy
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 01:40 AM
That said, if you want reasons why it can be bad, unless it is a minimum deal, it's stupid because he sucks.
It screams "desperation move", actually. And, it isn't 3rd string, it's Backup, at the least. Watson won't be on the 53 when the season opens. He'll be on another list, so this hack and Whatshisname will be battling it out to be our starter. Anyone that thinks he is just a camp arm is deluding themselves. He isn't that.

The fact that he's a formerly over-drafted Top 10 pick simply means that we don't learn from the mistakes of others.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 01:43 AM
Great. The Browns are doomed because we signed Josh Rosen to compete for a roster spot.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 01:45 AM
Perhaps... but, it would be because the Browns put themselves in a position where Rosen is their starter.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 01:47 AM
I love the use of the word meanwhile. It takes me back to days of watching the "Dukes of Hazard" where the commentator would use it to describe what Daisy or C''r, or even Uncle Jesse were up to after Boss and Roscoe had gotten the Duke Boys into and unsuspecting predicament. a goo goo goo! It's not every day you hear the word meanwhile.
Or, "in the meantime"
which is the correct usage of how I heard it incorrectly used on a show by a commentator called "too cute" which diagrams videos of puppy litters and kitten litters in their first 6-8 weeks.
They said "meantime" but they should have said " in the meantime" I think it would have been more correct.
I think the previous response was just responding in general.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 01:48 AM
Why do you care? I read your posts after the Watson signing. You said you would no longer root for the team. So why do you care if they suck or not?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
I love the use of the word meanwhile. It takes me back to days of watching the "Dukes of Hazard" where the commentator would use it to describe what Daisy or C''r, or even Uncle Jesse were up to after Boss and Roscoe had gotten the Duke Boys into and unsuspecting predicament. a goo goo goo! It's not every day you hear the word meanwhile.
Or, "in the meantime"
which is the correct usage of how I heard it incorrectly used on a show by a commentator called "too cute" which diagrams videos of puppy litters and kitten litters in their first 6-8 weeks.
They said "meantime" but they should have said " in the meantime" I think it would have been more correct.
I think the previous response was just responding in general.

Meanwhile, back at the asylum.......
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by jfanent

If you're referring to the Rosen signing, why is it a bad move? It's the gm's job to improve the bottom of the roster just as much as the top.

From a roster standpoint, this type of signing is literally never a bad move. Guy could (probably will) be off the roster just as fast as he came into the picture. He's definitely not all that, and I don't begrudge poking fun regarding the 2 guys from that draft class that we happened to have, but we're looking for a temp backup. Perspective.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Originally Posted by jfanent

From a roster standpoint, this type of signing is literally never a bad move. Guy could (probably will) be off the roster just as fast as he came into the picture. He's definitely not all that, and I don't begrudge poking fun regarding the 2 guys from that draft class that we happened to have, but we're looking for a temp backup. Perspective.

Yep...looking at this list: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/ I'd say that about whomever we signed at this/that point.

Fun fact: Kevin Hogan is still in the NFL...he will make almost $ 1MM. Crazy.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 09:14 PM
why are yall acting like this over Rosen? dude has turned into camp fodder/career backup mode. even if Watson is suspended for the year, none of these other guys are gonna have a chance to be anything more than a backup. we paid way too much money for Watson for somebody like Rosen or anyone else to even entertain the thought of any of these QB's to be the future, so it shouldn't be a controversial move.

you know what's controversial? how no one traded for Jimmy G yet.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/25/22 11:05 PM
While
Jeremy Fowler reported that the Browns like his "live arm." He does have that and can make some great intermediate throws. His problem is that he takes too many chances on those throws and that results in stupid interceptions. He is also lacking mobility. He's nothing more than a backup plan in case Watson is suspended for a short period of time. I doubt he'll be on the team long-term. And if Watson is suspended for a long time, the Browns might bring in someone who has had more success, such as Gardner Minshew. I think they didn't bring in Minshew now because he probably would lead to a distraction where folks would be talking about him starting vs Brissett should Watson be suspended for a short time.

Those 2-4 sentences are the reasons I believed why we signed him from my earlier posts. It isn't anything major. He has some arm talent and they are covering their bases.

Taking away waiting for the verdict on DW. This is a generalization, once DW gets back on the field this reminds me of: we have Andrew Luck and we are signing Jim Sorgi or Curtis Painter to back him up.

Edit: what I am getting at is this signing isn't notable in a good or negative way.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/26/22 04:53 AM
Please, all of you, stop quoting throw long
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/26/22 04:59 AM
rofl
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns sign Josh Rosen - 07/26/22 07:35 PM
Good luck Josh. You’re a Browns QB now. Don’t read the above posts with malice in your mind. We are Brown’s fans. We’re bitter with every signing in some way. Get use to it. We’ll still be your fans, even if we cringe out-loud and break into cold sweats…. if….or when you take your first snap as a Browns QB in a live game.
© DawgTalkers.net