DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Versatile Dog Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 12:07 PM
Camp opens today for rookies. Vets report on Tuesday, the 26th. I thought it would be nice to have a thread for TC news. I'll get the party started.

Most intriguing training camp storylines

The Browns are built to win now

By Barry Shuck Jul 22, 2022, 7:21am EDT 0 Comments

Despite all of the negative publicity Cleveland has received since trading for QB Deshaun Watson, the media has been realistic about what the Browns have built. On paper, they appear to be a playoff contender.

The timing is right because there are numerous contracts which will need to be dealt with after this season to which not every player will return next year. But for now, winning ways are a certainty.

Training camp begins July 22nd for rookies with the remainder of the players reporting July 26th.

The offensive line is completely healthy including key backups such as Chris Hubbard. The cornerback position will rival the O-Line as the premier unit on this squad whereas Cleveland’s running back group is a three-headed monster. TE David Njoku has a new contract and is the clear TE1 plus the special teams units have been totally revamped with the exception of the always steady Charley Hughlett at longsnapper.

Other than the quarterback position, there are quite a few storylines that will be quite interesting for the duration of training camp. Here are our favorites.

Is Amari Cooper still an elite receiver?
To some, Cooper was obtained from the Dallas Cowboys a bit too cheap when they traded the receiver for a fifth and sixth round pick. The Cowboys also sent a sixth round draft pick in the process. The question loomed? Why? Why trade away their WR1?

Cooper has gone to four Pro Bowls and posted over 1,000-yards five of his seven NFL seasons. After two consecutive years with over 1,000-yards in 2019 and 2020, last year he had just 865 with eight touchdowns. For the former SEC Offensive Player of the Year, that was his lowest production since he became a Cowboy.

Dallas was about to pay Cooper $20 million for a player whose numbers had dropped every year in Dallas. Maybe it was the scheme, or the quarterback, but regardless his stats just weren’t worth the money he was due and so the Cowboys shipped him off.

Now that he is with the Browns, can he become that elite possession receiver once again?

Jarvis Landry, the former WR1, is now gone to which Cooper has taken on that role. Cleveland is a running team, so the coaching staff is not requiring the veteran to put up staggering numbers but instead be a dependable target and gain first downs when called upon. He gained 1,189-yards in his first season with Dallas, so the talent is definitely there.

If Cooper can regain any symbolical of a WR1, then what little the Browns traded away will be worth it. He is only 28 years old. While with Dallas he had 27 receiving touchdowns. He made the Pro Bowl just two seasons ago.

Cooper also adds veteran leadership and is a very good downfield blocker with sure hands.

Can Nick Harris win the starting center spot?
Releasing veteran J.C. Tretter was not a good day in Berea. But with every decision is a plan behind it. The Browns believe that Nick Harris can compete and fill that position with confidence.

Harris is a former fifth round pick who has played quite a few positions along the offensive line when called upon once the injury bug and COVID protocols have kicked in. He has been playing center since high school. At Washington, he was named First Team All-Pac 12 both his junior and senior years as a center.

He has had some injury issues since becoming a Brown including a knee injury plus some hamstring issues. But he has versatility and a strong work ethic in his toolbox and is going into training camp with the mindset that the job is his if he works hard enough for it as his apprenticeship under Tretter is officially complete.

Over everything else, Harris is steady and consistent. He is just 23 years old and although he has been thrust into both guard and tackle positions in actual games, he has also gotten quite a few snaps at center mostly in the pre-season. He possesses a good array of timing plus is a disciplined blocker with a knack for run blocking.

He will have stiff competition from veteran Ethan Pocic so do not think this position has been gift-wrapped. And with Deshaun Watson and Jacoby Brissett working in the facilities this past few months, Harris has been able to gain some chemistry with the two.

Can he contribute? Immediately.

How will the defensive tackle position look on opening day?
Two years in a row, both starting defensive tackles were not re-signed which has meant that two years in a row both starting positions are up for grabs.

The best bet is veteran Taven Bryan, a former first round draft pick who has needed a new opportunity to show that is worthy of the praise he received at some point.

Who will win the other spot is a logjam. The most obvious is Jordan Elliott, a former third round pick of the Browns who has been waiting his turn. But last season was supposed to be Elliott’s shining moment to become the starter which went to the two Maliks instead. Each season Elliott has regressed and in fact last year was given fewer snaps as the season wore down.

Also in the mix is Tommy Togiai who could just become the starter. Unlike Elliott, Togiai’s snap count increased as the season rolled along. He is a hustler and seems to be ready to jump into Year 2 and claim that spot. His motor never stops and he doesn’t quit on plays ever. A hard worker who has a real shot of starting.

Others in the shuffle include rookie fourth rounder Perrion Winfrey (when he finally signs), veteran Sheldon Day, plus undrafted free agents Roderick Perry and Glen Logan. The recently-signed Isaac Rochell has also played defensive tackle although he is considered a rotational defensive end.

Will K Cade York come as advertised?
You don’t often see a kicker being drafted higher than the fifth, sixth or seventh rounds. So when the Browns took York with the 124th pick in Round 4, there were a lot of eye brows raised.

Not that York doesn’t deserve the high marks. He does. He was the best kicker in this year’s draft and GM Andrew Berry was tired of going through kickers who came out of the gate strong but faltered as the season rolled towards the finish.

Kickers score points. They elevate the scoreboard. And the game remains whichever club has the highest points at the final gun is proclaimed the winner.

One of Berry’s priorities this past off-season was to make sure that special teams were vastly improved.

Last season Cleveland ranked last in the NFL on conversion rates on field goals at 72.7%.

York has a very strong leg and can nail kicks outside the 50-yard line. This may eliminate some of the plays in which you can’t punt and the yardage needed on fourth down is a bit too far.

The Browns have drafted highly-touted kickers in the past who did not pan out. In 2017 Zane Gonzalez of Arizona State was the Groza Award winner, an Unanimous All-American plus broke the record for most points scored in a college career. He also kicked three field goals of 50+ in a single game which tied a record. Cleveland selected Gonzalez in the seventh round to which he lasted one year plus two games into his second season.

Two years later, the Browns picked Oklahoma kicker Austin Seibert in the fifth round. He was a First Team All-Big 12 and kicked the most career points in FBS history with 499. Yet, he was released after a Week 1 loss into his second season as well.

York has been named First Team All-SEC plus Second Team All-American. Hopefully he can replicate his college success at the next level instead of being dumped onto the highly acclaimed past kickers pile.

So far in the various camps the Browns have held York has impressed. Let’s keep that going.

Who will win WR3?
The answer to this will come after who will win WR2. Right now, that should be Donovan Peoples-Jones.

With the third receiver spot, do not for one second think this will become an easy decision. There are numerous qualified contenders.

Who sticks out the most is veteran free agent Javon Wims. He has good size (6’-2”, 221 pounds) with good hands. He needs more experience in that he has played in 33 games with just seven starts. He can be that big presence with long arms to box out defenders.

The next best option to watch is third round pick David Bell. Considered a playmaker, suddenly he was labeled as a slow playmaker with his 40 time of 4.65. But make no mistake he is a polished receiver with a ton of college starts. Bell had his best season to date with 93 receptions for 1,286 yards with six touchdowns last year. He also had 39 rushing yards on three carries and is a very good downfield blocker. In his three years at Purdue, he had 29 starts.

Bell was a well-known receiver that shined in the Big 10 Conference.

Anthony Schwartz had a year in which his rookie numbers were not impressive, but comes into camp looking to improve. There will be a lot of pressure on Schwartz to prove he is more than just a speed guy. Like Bell, he was also a third round pick. Teams expect third round selections to produce sooner than later. Schwartz is not a return man, so receiver on jet sweeps plus catches are his only ways to contribute.

Ja’Marcus Bradley is a player that has hung around and keeps getting called up. He runs a 4.48 40 and has good hands as well. He has a limited sample base but has NFL game experience.

The Browns also selected Michael Woods in the sixth round to compete. Among Woods’ attributes include his physique, work ethic, smart, arm length, a crisp route runner and able to disguise his route breaks. His weaknesses are tight hips, a one-speed route runner and not very elusive against press coverage.

Others include Mike Harley, Jr., Jakeem Grant (also a kick returner), Demetric Felton (also a kick returner), Isaiah Weston and Travell Harris.

What role will Chase Winovich have?
The Browns depth chart on April 13 listed Myles Garrett and Chase Winovich as starting defensive ends. The following day, that list was changed to Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney.

Winovich came to the Browns in a player-for-player swap with New England that sent LB Mack Wilson in exchange for the pass rusher Winovich.

Winovich the rookie did not have any starts, but played in all 16 games. He eventually was able to get in on the defensive line rotation to which he had 5.5 sacks and 26 total tackles along with 10 QB hits plus four tackles for loss. His second season he started nine games on the defense with 48 total tackles with 5.5 sacks.

Through the first nine games of his rookie campaign, he had matched his scouting report. Year 3 was supposed to be his breakout year, but he began training camp on the PUP list with an undisclosed injury. Winovich returned to action in August.

However, things did not go as planned for both Winovich and the defense. Through the first six games, he had just seven tackles, one quarterback hit and zero sacks in 78 defensive snaps. His greatest contribution was on special teams as he played snaps in the kicking game.

Winovich then suffered a hamstring injury in the second half of the Week 6 matchup against Dallas. Winovich limped to the locker room and was listed as questionable to return then ruled out. Two days later he was placed on IR.

Right now the prognosis is that Winovich will allow Clowney the opportunity to rest and be energized while at the same time bring in a high-motor guy. On the other side, rookie third rounder Alex Wright will be Garrett’s substitute. This will give the defense some fresh legs at all times.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/7/22/23272230/most-intriguing-training-camp-storylines
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 02:19 PM
I forgot we grabbed a vet center. I doubt he was brought in for an actual competition for starter, but you never know. The article stated it well, Harris' apprenticeship is now complete.

It's definitely something that gets your blood pressure up, but I think we may end up liking the Browns' approach to the WR position (buy low, sell high). We should have the run game and the QB play to make it so those guys get their looks vs having to win on their own talent. I think I'll have to up my game in terms of knowing my team. We need to watch guys who aren't household names and really pay attention to see who's gonna be getting major time on Sundays.

My understanding was the Jordan Elliott was slowed by injuries and we're expecting an uptick in performance from him. Is that not true?

Do we have a 20 on Conklin?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 02:21 PM
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-nation-news-and-notes-7-22-22/

Conklin was NOT on the PUP list as of today.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 02:27 PM
Good news about Conklin.

I don't know much about Elliot, but he hasn't impressed me at all when I've watched him. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Good news about Conklin.

I don't know much about Elliot, but he hasn't impressed me at all when I've watched him. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances?

I don't know near as much about the different roles of the DT as do you and others...that said...I recollect that Elliot was initially thought of as more of a penetrator than run-stopper. (I could be mistaken about that.) But he is now reportedly up to 305-ish lbs. So...I dunno.

I fear he is neither penetrator nor run-stopper...I think Togiai may be that as well. We picked up (2) UDFA DTs - and gave one some real money - who read more like run-stoppers.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by oobernoober
https://www.brownsnation.com/browns-nation-news-and-notes-7-22-22/

Conklin was NOT on the PUP list as of today.

I'd bet that he will be before Monday though. He's a vet who won't do much in early TC anyway. I think he can workout, just not practice while on PUP. If so, that will give the coaches some time to see how he's moving. (And yes...I just won today's Captain Obvious Award.)
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 02:50 PM
I haven't studied Elliot enough to speak w/authority. I just didn't like how he struggled to get off of blocks, but again, I really haven't watched him closely.

Here are his PFF numbers:

Pass rush: 50.9
Run defense: 45.0
Overall: 41.6

All of those numbers are really poor. The overall grade is 102nd of 109 ranked D-tackles.

Damn!
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 03:11 PM
Winfrey has signed, so it will be nice to see what we've got with pads on. Watson overshadows all- NFL, get it done. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 04:10 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 04:58 PM
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Pdawg

I always forget all about "abundance of caution" season so these posts/tweets get me a couple times around this time each year.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 08:32 PM
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/22/22 09:14 PM
lots and lots of upside, neh?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/23/22 01:37 PM
This does not sound like a big deal but it can be.

Schwartz was a third rounder. He missed time early. He never truly caught up. We are thin at this position. Bell is being counted on.

I do not like counting on a rookie third rounder.

We also have the uncertainty of DW. Camp reps by the quarterback may need to be spread around with 3 quarterbacks.

I hope a decision on DW is made soon. Camp is near and there is a lot of "new" things going on on offense.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/24/22 02:43 PM
Good news about Conklin and Winfrey. We’ll need both as I don’t like the depth at either spot.

Hopefully Bell will be back very soon … can’t miss much time as a rook
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/24/22 03:03 PM
Expecting an "uptick" from Jordan Elliott is a non-starter.

That is the nicest I can be, the nicest I can be after 3 attempts. banghead
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/24/22 03:14 PM
As long as Berry and Depo are in charge, the team will not have the solid toughness of a real team. They are too lienent and accepting of players whose upsides are guys who just aren't the toughest, and best in crunch time. And the whole game comes down to crunch times, therefore, the Browns are not built to win now. Analytics is tearing down the Browns' success and that vacuums.
Plus, the camp is treated as too easy. Abundance of rest time? how is that going to translate into wins in the crunch times of games. boo
Boo because they could do so much better.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/24/22 03:20 PM
Why should we have ANY expectation that Nick Harris would ever be a starter in the NFL, or any good as one.
He was a 5th round pick, and after all this time he is still just 23? Is that right?
23 is the age of rookies, for most of the NFL's history. And an old adage applies, 2 adages, one, Rookies aren't anything special in the NFL. and 2. You only go into battle with Old Men.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/24/22 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
As long as Berry and Depo are in charge, the team will not have the solid toughness of a real team. They are too lienent and accepting of players whose upsides are guys who just aren't the toughest, and best in crunch time. And the whole game comes down to crunch times, therefore, the Browns are not built to win now. Analytics is tearing down the Browns' success and that vacuums.
Plus, the camp is treated as too easy. Abundance of rest time? how is that going to translate into wins in the crunch times of games. boo
Boo because they could do so much better.

Booooo. Boo Wendy. Boo Wendy Testaburger. Boo.

Boo Wendy. Boooooo. Boo Wendy.

Boo Wendy Testaburger. Boooooo. Boo Wendy. Liar.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/24/22 08:59 PM
I think DT, WR, and LB will be our undoing.. we didn't do much there and we needed to
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/24/22 10:08 PM
I’m concerned with those positions as well. Not as much WR because I think Cooper will be an upgrade outside
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 12:57 AM
If Jacob Phillips plays and stays healthy, where is the weakness at Linebacker?
Linebacker, should be one of the teams strong points, if only they would have average DL play in front of them.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 04:33 AM
If Jacob Phillips plays and stays healthy, where is the weakness at Linebacker?
Linebacker, should be one of the teams strong points, if only they would have average DL play in front of them.

Phillips rates as one of the worst in the league and is always hurt. He's a bust at this point. He would have to take a very large step forward, and taki taki and walker are the very definition of meh.. JOK is good but I worry about his durability and size. We are still weak in the middle, both LB and DT
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 04:36 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’m concerned with those positions as well. Not as much WR because I think Cooper will be an upgrade outside
Cooper is excellent, but who else do we have ? a track guy playing WR with stone hands, DPJ who was absolute trash last year and an already hurt Bell? I have to think we don't go into the season without some upgrades at these positions. I guess it depends on Watson, if he's suspended then no sense in making moves as you aren't winning with Brissett and the ilk, but if its just a few games, you still have a chance to make some noise and push. Kind of over a barrel at this point until the fake "arbiter" makes her "ruling" so then the nfl can do what they want anyways.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 09:53 AM
Just a general comment.

I think we are beaching about not having a perfect team with all-pro's at every position.

I'll take this roster over any that we have had since 99. I remember when we took CB Leon McFadden when the next pick was the Honey Badger. I knew right then and there we sucked.

Short memories some of us have.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 11:00 AM
Why should we have ANY expectation that Nick Harris would ever be a starter in the NFL, or any good as one.
He was a 5th round pick, and after all this time he is still just 23? Is that right?
23 is the age of rookies, for most of the NFL's history. And an old adage applies, 2 adages, one, Rookies aren't anything special in the NFL. and 2. You only go into battle with Old Men.

Nick Harris was already rated highly and was praised at Washington for his technical skills, which is where rookies typically struggle. His main knock was his size, as he is on the smaller side for an NFL lineman. He is young, but he isn't a rookie, so don't even try that comparison. He has started some games, and he looked not great his first start, but he looked much better in the rest.

He may never be an All Pro, but with the rest of the guys on the line, he may not need to be. And Tretter hasn't exactly been sought after either. He plays well, but he is one of the guys that never practices.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 11:49 AM
So right you are.

We have the roster to compete at a high level. Now begins the task of making them a team.

We do have areas of concern like DL interior and receiver. However, those positions will be watched closely.

Every team has area of concern.

Until we actually see guys with pads on and find about some players. We are in the dark. We have players who are going to compete for reps.

We shall see who wins those reps.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 12:23 PM
This is a Jacoby highlight tape. Not all the tape or the lowlight tape.

However, I feel pretty good about Jocoby. He has experience. He is a big guy who can run. He throws a nice ball.

He may not be Aaron Rodgers but I have seen guys who were way worse and started in the NFL. He may not be a guy who will crazy good plays on his own.

But IMO he will make the plays that are there. We do have guys that can run the ball. We have enough talent on the Browns to remain competitive if Jacoby is in there.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 05:19 PM
Predicting Browns' Top NFL Training Camp Breakout Players
JAKE RILL
JULY 25, 2022

There should be no shortage of storylines to follow at Cleveland Browns training camp this summer. From the quarterback situation to position battles to the implementation of a new rookie class, practices will likely be interesting to track.

It all begins Tuesday, which is the mandatory report date for all Browns players. However, rookies have already shown up at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus, as the report date for first-year players was last Friday.

After Cleveland ended an 18-year playoff drought in 2020, it went 8-9 and missed the postseason last year. If the Browns are going to get back to the playoffs in 2022, they'll likely need some young players to step up and fill bigger roles while continuing their progression.

Here's a look at several players who could be the breakout performers of the Browns' training camp.

Donovan Peoples-Jones, WR
1 OF 3

Cleveland went out and traded for Amari Cooper to be its No. 1 wide receiver for the 2022 season. Beyond that, it's not clear what the order will be on the receiving depth chart, with a host of younger or less proven players set to compete for time in camp.

One wide receiver who could seize a starting role is Donovan Peoples-Jones, who showed improvement from his 2020 rookie season to his 2021 sophomore campaign. Last year, he had 34 catches for 597 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games.

There could be even better performances on the horizon from the 23-year-old. It should help that he'll likely be on the opposite side of the field from Cooper, who is sure to draw plenty of attention from opposing defenses.

Peoples-Jones needs a strong training camp to stand out in the crowded group behind Cooper. But considering how well he's fared in his first two NFL seasons, that seems likely to happen.

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB
2 OF 3

After a solid rookie season in 2021, Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah is now poised to take a big step forward. Throughout last year, he showed the type of talent he possesses, and he could be a young linebacker to watch in the NFL this year.

"I think he has had a good offseason," Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski said, per Anthony Poisal of the team's official site. "He is working very hard as he does. Like any sophomore, there is hopefully a step that just comes from a greater understanding of what we are doing schematically, greater use of technique and those type of things. He is working hard."

In 14 games last season, the 22-year-old recorded 76 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two forced fumbles. He began to play a larger percentage of snaps in the second half of the year as he became more comfortable in the defense.

It will be intriguing to see how Owusu-Koramoah continues his development at training camp. With a strong showing, he should solidify his starting spot at outside linebacker and potentially become a breakout defensive player this season.

Grant Delpit, S
3 OF 3

Grant Delpit's NFL career got off to a slow start.

The 2020 second-round draft pick suffered a torn Achilles tendon during his first training camp and missed the entire season. He then dealt with a hamstring issue in his second camp ahead of the 2021 campaign.

Delpit finally got on to the field for the Browns in Week 2 of last season, and he went on to play 15 games, showing the potential he has to be a strong defensive back at the top of Cleveland's secondary. He recorded 66 tackles, one interception, one sack and one forced fumble, and he also made seven starts.

Now that the 23-year-old is healthy, he should only get better from here. That will especially be the case if the safety can fully prepare for the upcoming season.

As long as Delpit can do that, he should impress this summer. And that will likely lead to the best season of his NFL career thus far.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...s-top-nfl-training-camp-breakout-players
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 05:31 PM
I don't hold much hope for DPJ, but here to to hope!

I agree on the others. Another I think can break out is Harrison Bryant. I would expect he will be the 2nd TE and should see a substantial increase in targets. I wouldn't be surprised if he supplants Njoke as the #1 TE.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 07:20 PM
In the Surprise Player thread I mentioned Delpit and the Chief.

DPJ and JOK are ready for prime time.

I truly believe that JOK could become one of the best defensive players in the game.

DPJ I want to see with DW. I felt DPJ was ruined last year by bad qb play. I expect him to step up this year.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Just a general comment.

I think we are beaching about not having a perfect team with all-pro's at every position.

I'll take this roster over any that we have had since 99. I remember when we took CB Leon McFadden when the next pick was the Honey Badger. I knew right then and there we sucked.

Short memories some of us have.

Very much agree with you. We have some of the top (or top 10) players at the key positions and they are either young or just entering their prime. We have never had that since 99 and very few teams currently can say that about their rosters.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/25/22 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
In the Surprise Player thread I mentioned Delpit and the Chief.

DPJ and JOK are ready for prime time.

I truly believe that JOK could become one of the best defensive players in the game.

DPJ I want to see with DW. I felt DPJ was ruined last year by bad qb play. I expect him to step up this year.

Delpit is the one I am looking at (hoping) will make a big jump.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/26/22 01:15 AM

BrownsZone with Scott Petrak
NEWSFEATURESANALYSISNOTESMAILBAGON THE AIRVIDEONEWSLETTERABOUT SCOTTTHE CHRONICLETHE GAZETTE
CONNECT WITH US
Search
CONNECT WITH US
ANALYSISTraining Camp Preview: 5 storylines to watchby Scott PetrakJuly 23, 2022

The annual anticipation for Browns training camp has been accompanied — and often overshadowed — by angst over the lack of a decision regarding a potential Deshaun Watson suspension.

Full-squad practice starts Wednesday in Berea, and independent arbitrator Sue L. Robinson has yet to rule on whether Watson violated the NFL’s personal conduct policy and if he’ll be suspended after more than two dozen women accused him of sexual misconduct during massage therapy sessions. A suspension is expected — the Browns knew this when they made the controversial trade for Watson in March — but the team’s fortunes could hinge on whether he misses six games or fewer rather than the majority or all of the season.

Training Camp Preview: 5 players to watch

The Browns, and their fans, want a verdict as quickly as possible so they can prepare for the 17-game season accordingly. But Robinson is working on her own schedule and may not rule before camp despite getting the final briefs from the attorneys for the league and Watson on July 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
The importance of Watson can’t be overstated, but the season will go on regardless of his availability. Here are five other storylines to watch during camp:

A DIFFERENT LOOK

Regardless of what happens with Watson, someone new will be playing quarterback this year.

Baker Mayfield (Carolina) and Case Keenum (Buffalo) were traded and Nick Mullens (Las Vegas) was allowed to leave in free agency during a busy offseason at the position. Watson was acquired from the Texans, and Jacoby Brissett, Josh Rosen and Josh Dobbs signed as free agents. Brissett would replace Watson to start the season, with Rosen the likely backup.

The drop-off from Watson would be significant, but the Browns have had months to put together a contingency plan. It starts with their trust in Brissett.

Complicating matters is how the offense must shift depending on who’s at quarterback. Coach and play caller Kevin Stefanski had already changed his playbook to capitalize on Watson’s skill set — more three-wideout sets, run-pass options and designed runs — and he would have to adapt again with Brissett running the show.

Brissett is powerful as a runner but doesn’t have the athleticism of Watson, which is obvious in designed runs and Houdini-like escapes from the pass rush. Brissett, with a career-best 3,098 yards in 2017, also has never put up the prolific passing numbers of Watson, who led the NFL with 4,823 yards in 2020.

Stefanski and coordinator Alex Van Pelt would likely turn to the ground attack, relying on running backs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt. Brissett fits that style, as he’s shown he can manage a game and protect the ball with a career 36-to-17 touchdown-to-interception ratio.

The game plan would open up if and when Watson returns this season and feels comfortable, another test of Stefanski’s creativity and flexibility.

David Bell placed on PUP list with foot injury

THE HEAVY LIFTING

The run game as the engine of the offense only works with a strong defense capable of winning close games.

The Browns look like they have just that.

The defense ranked 13th in scoring (21.8 points per game) and fifth in yards (311.5) last year. It took a big jump over the second half of the season — 18.6 points a game over the last seven — and returns most of the key contributors, including all the top players. So expectations are that it will take another step and carry the Browns if necessary.

Defensive end Myles Garrett has become a perennial Defensive Player of the Year candidate and is the betting favorite to break through and win the award this season. Jadeveon Clowney finally agreed to return as a free agent, giving the Browns a second season of starting ends who were No. 1 overall draft picks.

Linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah consistently showed his playmaking ability when healthy last year and will be given more responsibility by coordinator Joe Woods in Year 2. Owusu-Koramoah should play even faster as he runs sideline to sideline and blitzes from the second level.

“I definitely feel more confident this year,” Woods said in June when asked about Owusu-Koramoah.

Anthony Walker Jr. quickly established himself as a leader last year and is back on another one-year deal. He could be the starter at middle linebacker, or insurance if Jacob Phillips, who missed significant time with injuries in his first two years, wins the job.

The secondary is the strongest of the three levels.

Cornerback Denzel Ward signed a $100 million extension in the offseason and is expected to be fine after suffering a foot injury in the final practice of minicamp in June. He leads a talented corner group that includes Greg Newsome II, Greedy Williams, rookie Martin Emerson Jr. and A.J. Green.

The only question is depth in the slot. Newsome will be asked to play inside in three-receiver sets after veteran Troy Hill was traded during the draft, and there is no clear-cut Plan B.

The team got a pleasant surprise when safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. returned after not having a big market in free agency. Harrison slumped last year but joins John Johnson III and Grant Delpit to give Woods the three safeties he needs to run his preferred dime package.

RETURN TO HEALTH

The Browns are desperate for right tackle Jack Conklin to be 100 percent and back to his All-Pro form.

The pass protection last season suffered when Conklin missed time with injuries early then suffered a season-ending patellar tendon tear in November. He had surgery and spent the offseason rehabbing. He may open camp on the physically unable to perform list, but the team is optimistic he’ll be ready at or near the start of the season.

“I think he’s rehabbing extremely hard and I’m excited to see him back on the field,” line coach Bill Callhan told The Chronicle-Telegram. “And the reason I say that is because a lot of guys coming off a rehab that he’s going through actually come off better and stronger than otherwise. So if that holds true, I think we have a better Jack.

“I’m excited to see him come back. You can never have enough Jack Conklins.”

Conklin is in the last year of a three-year deal signed as a free agent in 2020. He was an All-Pro as a rookie in 2015 with the Titans and in his first year with the Browns.

The Browns like their tackle depth better this season with veteran Chris Hubbard back from a torn pectoral and James Hudson III entering Year 2, but the line isn’t the same without Conklin.

Left tackle Jedrick Wills Jr. knows he has to be better this season — and expects to be

LET’S MAKE A DEAL

The bottom of the 90-man roster always churns during camp, as players flame out and injuries require replacements. This year has the potential to include a few headline-making trades or signings.

Despite the signing of Rosen on Friday, another quarterback addition can’t be ruled out if Watson is suspended for eight games or more. If that happens and Jimmy Garoppolo is cut by the 49ers to avoid paying his $25.6 million salary, the Browns could pursue him as a starting option.

The situation is flipped at running back. The Browns have a glut of quality players, including rookie fifth-round pick Jerome Ford, and will likely trade one before the season.

D’Ernest Johnson makes the most sense. He opened eyes across the league last year when he filled in for Chubb and Hunt and could fit nicely as a No. 2 somewhere else. He’s entering the final year of his contract, as is Hunt, who remains more valuable to the Browns.

General manager Andrew Berry should be able to get a player at a position of need or a draft pick in exchange for Johnson.

The other spots to watch are receiver and defensive tackle. Berry added pieces at both spots during the offseason, yet questions remain. If second-year receiver Anthony Schwartz and third-year defensive tackle Jordan Elliott don’t meet expectations, Berry could go in search of proven veterans.

Defensive tackle is the one real concerning spot on the defense, and Berry shouldn’t let it sabotage the rest of the star-studded unit.

CHANGING COURSE

The special teams underwent an overhaul in the offseason, so coordinator Mike Priefer will use camp and the three preseason games to make sure the new pieces are ready to produce the necessary improvement.

Rookie kicker Cade York is the signature addition. The fourth-round pick won’t face competition for the job, so he’ll use the next seven weeks to prepare for the season and kicking in tricky FirstEnergy Stadium. That doesn’t mean there won’t be pressure this summer, as every kick will be scrutinized.

The Browns also signed Pro Bowler Jakeem Grant Sr. to jump-start the return game and will have a punting competition between newcomers Corey Bojorquez and Joseph Charlton.

Priefer’s units have been fundamentally sound and solid in coverage during his three-year tenure, but they’ve failed to make big plays and swing games. The additions should help change that.

And like the running game and defense, everyone must pitch in to win games if Watson isn’t on the field.

RELATED TOPICSFEATUREDSPORTS
Scott Petrak
Browns writer for The Chronicle-Telegram and The Medina Gazette. Proud graduate of Northwestern University. Husband and stepdad. Avid golfer who needs to hit the range to get down to a single-digit handicap. Right about Johnny Manziel, wrong about Brandon Weeden. Contact Scott at 440-329-7253, or email and fol

MORE IN ANALYSIS
Training Camp Preview: 5 players to watch
The lack of resolution regarding the availability of Browns quarterback Deshaun Watson for the...

HomeAbout ScottPrivacy Policy
Copyright © 2017 BrownsZone.com ,Chronicle-Telegram, The Gazette
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/26/22 02:02 AM
unrelated to this year, but I was recently converting old Hi-8 tapes to digital video files I have, and I have a recording of a training camp practice from 2006. It was funny seeing some old names pop up on the video, Ruben Droughns, Charlie Frye, and even Braylon Edwards was making some plays. Pretty incredible that those names only seem like yesterday.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/26/22 07:53 PM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/26/22 07:56 PM
I thought Conklin was ready to go?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/26/22 08:04 PM
Most of these type of moves are precautionary rather than serious.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/26/22 09:50 PM
Conklin will be able to due light practicing next week per Mary Kay.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 04:17 AM
I remember reading the same things about other players being ready to go at the start of last year also.
Anthony Schwartz had his biggest game in the opener when OBJ wasn't ready to go.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by boofers20
unrelated to this year, but I was recently converting old Hi-8 tapes to digital video files I have, and I have a recording of a training camp practice from 2006. It was funny seeing some old names pop up on the video, Ruben Droughns, Charlie Frye, and even Braylon Edwards was making some plays. Pretty incredible that those names only seem like yesterday.

For me, those names seem a million years ago. They emerge from my repressed memory as ghosts, materializing from a dense gray/brown/dust- colored fog of ennui and despair...

sorry.
I usually have a better handle on my "Battered Dawg Syndrome"...

wink
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 06:12 AM
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Originally Posted by boofers20

For me, those names seem a million years ago. They emerge from my repressed memory as ghosts, materializing from a dense gray/brown/dust- colored fog of ennui and despair...

sorry.
I usually have a better handle on my "Battered Dawg Syndrome"...

wink

Sometimes you have to reflect on the past to appreciate the present. A total flip from then when we had nothing else but to appreciate the past.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 05:32 PM
j/c:

And there you have it folks......the trade is a confirmed 'W" for the Browns.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 05:54 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

And there you have it folks......the trade is a confirmed 'W" for the Browns.

The truth is that the WR ran the wrong route. There was a hurricane force wind blowing in Baker's face. The OL gave up too much pressure and Baker was running for his life. The play call was stupid. Ruhle should have never let Baker play w/that injury. Baker's supporting cast stinks. The fans are really mean.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 05:56 PM
The thread is 'Browns Training Camp: 2022', so now I'm confused.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 06:31 PM
I think you just got played. It's was one series in training camp. The desperation and hilarity involved here is astounding. But not surprising by any means.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 06:35 PM
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 06:37 PM
You forgot Rhule should have never put him out there without having time to learn the playbook.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 06:39 PM
I don't believe none of that crap Ski just said. He didn't do any of that with Baker. He just bashes square pegs into round holes.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 06:40 PM
Saw some Twitter of camp highlights.

Looks like camp cupcake is in full effect.

No one plays against air more than the Browns.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 07:00 PM
The video is false . According to some on here Baker is the
Most accurate paaser in the league. He throws the most catchable
Ball in the league. The trade is the dumbest of all time!!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 07:00 PM
brownie

The CBA only permits the team to do so much during the first five days of TC.

(a) The first day of a Club’s preseason training camp shall be limited to physical examinations, meetings, and classroom instruction; no on-field activities shall be permitted other than running and conditioning. On-field activities are limited to Phase One-type conditioning, timing and testing, except that all coaches are permitted on the field. No helmets or protective shirts are permitted. No footballs may be used (“dead ball” activities only). No plays or walk-throughs are permitted. No individual player instruction or team drills are permitted. Nothing shall prohibit a Club from administering a conditioning test provided that such test must be reasonable and appropriate to determine the player’s ability to participate in the individual and team drills permitted by this Article. No such test may be given solely for the purpose of disciplining a player who reports to preseason training camp out of shape or overweight.

(b) (b)(i) On days two through five of preseason training camp, no live contact shall be permitted. Players may be on the field no more than 3.5 hours. Two on-field sessions are permitted as follows: one session may be a full speed practice, which can be no longer than 2.0 hours. This session may include all customary practice activities at the head coach’s discretion. The other session on the same day may be for a maximum of the remaining 3.5-hour on-field time, and is limited to only walk-through instruction and drills and plays conducted at an acceptable walkthrough pace (i.e., Pro Bowl practice pace), as demonstrated in a video jointly approved by the parties, with offensive players lining up across from defensive players, or kicking team players lining up across from return team players. No helmets may be worn during the second practice. The two on-field practices may be conducted in either order.

(b)(ii) On days two and three, helmets and jointly-approved protective shirts are permitted for the full speed practice.

(b)(iii) On days four and five, helmets and jointly-approved protective shirts, shells and spiders are permitted for the full speed practice (shells and spiders shall be jointly approved by the parties).

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/23/section/7
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 07:09 PM
TLDR, going full-bore on day 1 is probably not the greatest idea.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 07:13 PM

A lot of effort to deride an ex-Brown huh ... From posters who used to try to pretend to be neutral on that ex-Brown. I'd say it's pretty clear the bile and angst is real and still tangible even though we've moved on.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 07:57 PM
Until Sue Robinson renders her decision, one of the biggest decisions will be how to split reps w/Watson and Brissett? One would think that they almost have to split first team reps for now due to the uncertainty of the suspension. Hopefully, she decides w/in the next couple of days so we can adequately prepare for the season.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 08:25 PM
I guess I'll just add that I'm glad that the years of having 2 1st-round castoffs compete for the starting QB job are behind us (referring more to our past QB rooms moreso than Baker here).

Just not sure how I feel about this next-level QB drama we have going on.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 08:29 PM

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 08:55 PM
Good information, Pdawg. Thanks.

--I see Newsome working in the slot, too. His skill set transfers the best to that position.

--It would be great if Delpit makes a big leap. He is athletic and good straight line speed. I don't like his lateral movement, though. I'll need to see that improve before I get excited about him.

--Big year for DPJ. We really need him to make a big jump and he needs it for his career and future contracts.

--Bryant will probably get a lot of opportunities. He needs to hold on to the ball.

--Bell's injury kinda sucks. He could be a good slot WR for us. We need someone in that role.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 09:23 PM
I'm sure he won coach of the year pounding squares into rounds. He is human just like the rest of us- JMHO, he's been schooled by one guy really bad- Bill B., I don't think he's THE problem. And- Jim H. has been QUICK to fire anyone he doesn't have faith in....personally, I'm glad we have finally got some steadiness all thru the organization. Time will tell.....GO Browns!!!! Zero games for Watson, just like the owners punishment.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/27/22 09:39 PM
A lot of guys who really know football think highly of Stefanski and his scheme. It's very QB friendly.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 11:42 AM
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Recap: Day 1 - Welcome to 2022
Browns training camp is officially underway!

By Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature Jul 27, 2022, 4:21pm EDT 8 Comments

On Wednesday, Day 1 of Cleveland Browns training camp kicked off in anticipation of the 2022 season. As we do every year, we will compile a summary of what happened before, during, and after each practice, based on notes from the local media and the team.

Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 1 (7/27/22)
1. Uncertainty Remains: There seemed to be a general assumption that the team would know more about DeShaun Watson’s potential suspension prior to training camp, but it is Day 1 and a decision has not been released yet. Even if he is suspended, though, Watson would be able to participate in training camp. Head coach Kevin Stefanski said that both Watson and Jacoby Brissett — who would start in the event of a suspension — will receive a ton of reps.

2. The Media Awaits Too: Although training camp is officially underway in Berea today, the first day for fans will be Saturday, July 30. Plenty of local and national media were in attendance, especially eager to hear about any potential quarterback news. The weather was an overcast 76 degrees in the picture below, but the forecast called for potential rain in the late-afternoon, so practice was moved indoors.

3. Sidelined Today: Players not practicing on Day 1 of camp include CB Denzel Ward (foot) and RT Jack Conklin (knee), as both were placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. DT Sheldon Day (back) and LB Anthony Walker (groin) are on the active/non-football injury list. Stefanski said that Ward should start practicing in a couple weeks, and he expects Conklin to practice “at some point” during camp after coming off surgery in December to repair his torn patellar tendon.

5. Chubb & Hunt Together: Is it too early to get excited over a formation in training camp — or rather, the personnel involved in the formation? As you can see here, both RB Nick Chubb and RB Kareem Hunt were lined up in the backfield at the same time here:

6. He’s Got the Distance: These certainly aren’t official measurements, but K Cade York appeared to be hitting well from long range, even though it was indoors:

7. Back to Receiver? Earlier this offseason, Browns scout Max Paulus said that Demetric Felton would be in the running back room moving forward. However, on Day 1 of training camp, he was right back at the receiver position.

8. Brownies: Before practice, Stefanski praised third-string QB Josh Dobbs for the “unbelieveable job” he’s done with the team so far. ... The first practice was just a very light walkthrough, with no offense vs. defense. ... CB Greg Newsome expects to be the team’s nickelback this year, with CB Greedy Williams battling CB Martin Emerson for the other outside cornerback spot.

11. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Thursday at 2:00 PM ET. The first practice open to fans is on Saturday.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/...raining-camp-recap-day-1-welcome-to-2022
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 11:43 AM
Haters gotta hate. That's all there is to it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 11:49 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 11:59 AM
Browns training camp Day 1: News and notes as the unknown lingers

Jared Mueller follow
July 28, 2022 6:30 am ET

The Cleveland Browns took the field for their first day of training camp on Wednesday. While no fans were around, the media was allowed to observe for a portion of the practice.

The big question still remains as QB Deshaun Watson is present and practicing with no resolution from Judge Sue Robinson. After missing all of the 2021 season, Watson needs as much time as possible to get ready for whatever part of the 2022 season he will be playing.

The team needs to prepare for whichever quarterback will be starting early in the season.

After last year’s was about changes on the defensive side of the ball, this training camp is full of change on offense with new quarterbacks, receivers and a new starting center.

A few pieces of news and notes from day one of training camp:

Starter at QB

HC Kevin Stefanski made it clear once again that Jacoby Brissett would be the team’s starter if Watson is suspended. While not a surprise, final confirmation after some wondered if Josh Rosen’s signing was for something more than a camp arm competing for a backup or practice squad role.

Garrett Sets Expectations High for Defense

With a majority of the defense back from last year, DE Myles Garrett has set the bar high on that side of the ball:

Felton a Receiver

While he may be a running back on the depth chart and in the program, Demetric Felton has been lining up as a receiver most of the offseason. That continued Wednesday:

Jack Conklin Should Return Soon

Perhaps one of the biggest pieces of news out of the press conferences is that starting right tackle Jack Conklin is expected to practice during training camp. With his serious knee injury during the season last year, there was some concern that he would not be available early in the season but returning to practice in camp should put him in line to play in Week 1.

Other Injury Updates

The Browns put five players on different lists on the eve of training camp but, along with the Conklin update and news that the team is playing it safe with CB Denzel Ward, Stefanski noted that LB Anthony Walker and DL Sheldon Day would be healthy in time for the start of the season:

Notes from Albert Breer

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer was in Berea and brought home a few interesting notes:

S Grant Delpit is set for a big season and the team is excited for him to get a full training camp after injury took him out as a rookie and limited him last year.

Breer adds some WR Donovan Peoples-Jones hype. Last year’s training camp buzz fizzled during the season but WR Amari Cooper’s presence should help.

A few interesting slot options were for both sides of the ball.

The somewhat forgotten draft class got the final bit of attention with a reminder of just how important K Cade York is for this season.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-training-camp-day-1-deshaun-watson/
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 12:25 PM
With a majority of the defense back from last year, DE Myles Garrett has set the bar high on that side of the ball:

Glad to see Garrett take the lead for the defense and show the leadership the defense needs.

The offense will need to find a leader capable of challenging his offensive teammates...someone like Garrett...

Someone who shows leadership off the field, in the training room and on the practice field...but most of all, someone the offensive side who the players can look up to at critical moments in a game. Who is going to be that leader for the offense..?
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by mac

Glad to see Garrett take the lead for the defense and show the leadership the defense needs.

The offense will need to find a leader capable of challenging his offensive teammates...someone like Garrett...

Someone who shows leadership off the field, in the training room and on the practice field...but most of all, someone the offensive side who the players can look up to at critical moments in a game. Who is going to be that leader for the offense..?

We have guys on defense who are great at talking up and about the game...MG is one of those guys. I'd prefer to see it on the field though.

Edited to add: My disappointment in MG does not mean I think he is anything but a stud. He doesn't appear to be a guy who will rally guys though...well...other than LJ after his D gets beat.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie[quote
We have guys on defense who are great at talking up and about the game...MG is one of those guys. I'd prefer to see it on the field though.

Edited to add: My disappointment in MG does not mean I think he is anything but a stud. He doesn't appear to be a guy who will rally guys though...well...other than LJ after his D gets beat.

Thats interesting...I view Garrett as an example of a player who shows his leadership "by example" and not so much as someone who leads by being a "raw, raw talker"..!

The best leadership might come from someone who can inspire by talking/challenging his teammates and then backs up his talk by making the big plays on the field.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 01:50 PM
I think Myles is a leader. Hard to debate that.

Watson is a proven leader. I understand that we don't know if he will be available, so it's hard to say he will be our leader once the season starts. I will say that he will be the team leader once he is cleared to play.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 02:02 PM
I think Myles is a leader. Hard to debate that.

Watson is a proven leader. I understand that we don't know if he will be available, so it's hard to say he will be our leader once the season starts. I will say that he will be the team leader once he is cleared to play.

vers...leadership can not be given, especially when someone is beginning with a new team.

Leadership must be "earned".

For the record, in no way do I consider Watson a leader..!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 02:10 PM
We have different opinions on Watson's ability to be a leader. That's fine and I respect your opinion. I want to expand on my claim, though. Watson has already been recognized and lauded for his leadership abilities at both Clemson and in the NFL. Here is a short excerpt from just one article on the subject of Watson's leadership abilities.

Having both earned his degree and won the college football championship in three years, Deshaun declared for the NFL draft. Many teams showed an interest, including the Houston Texans. On a pre-draft visit to their facility, Watson, sat by himself in the cafeteria to have lunch. Before long, a crowd of over twenty players had joined Watson. Seeing how the players were drawn to Watson, noting that it was a matter of attraction not promotion, led the team management to realize what a special person Deshaun Watson was – both as a football player and as a leader.

The team drafted Watson and, as stated earlier, the Texans are in the playoffs in his second year. Deshaun Watson is transforming another team by his example. His work ethic, his conviction, his talent, and his leadership all combine to elevate the entire team.

What can we learn from a twenty-three-year-old professional quarterback? Plenty!

Remain teachable – Throughout his life, Deshaun Watson has been open to learning from people who both know more than he and have his best interests at heart. With his natural talent, Watson could easily have dismissed the input and drive that Coach Perry gave him. He could have made his education a low priority as he was almost certain to become a highly paid professional athlete. Instead, he remained teachable at all levels in all situations. The result? He’s become more talented, more knowledgeable and a better leader.

Confidence and humility are not mutually exclusive – Watson is completely confident in his ability – that fact is very clear if you hear him talk. At the same time, he’s humble in a way very few athletes and celebrities are. Perhaps the greatest example of his humility is when his high school team won the state championship, Watson stayed in the crowd rather that join the team in front of the cameras. His reasoning? It’s not my time. His coach had no idea until he saw the newspaper the next day. His coach was not surprised. It’s great to be self-assured – it’s even more impressive to do so with humility.

Be thankful, give back more than you receive – Deshaun Watson is very aware of how much he’s been given in life. A loving, dedicated mother, natural talent, dedicated coaches, a committed academic adviser, support from other athletes, financial freedom, and more. He wants to help kids as he was helped. He wants to mentor young athletes as he’s been mentored. He wants to lead his team and the city of Houston to a Super Bowl victory. He puts it this way: “I want to leave a legacy on the field. I do. I want to be remembered as a great teammate. As a hard worker. As a winner. But if I’m not, and the only thing people remember about me is that I was somebody who gave back everything he’d received from others, and more? I’d be O.K. with that, too.”

https://brandingforresults.com/deshaun-watson/
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 02:20 PM
There are many articles on Watson's leadership. I posted the above from his Clemson and Houston days. Here are comments from teammates on the Browns.

“I can just tell like it’s a different aura about him and you can tell he’s a great leader,” Newsome said. “He comes in the building, works every single day.

“But that’s the first thing I can say, he’s a great leader, great person.”

Chubb, a three-time Pro Bowler, joined Watson and the group in paradise.

“We all had a good time,” Chubb said. “He’s a great guy to be around. We all love him. He’s a natural leader. He’s been here since OTAs started. He took his own trip. I think those things bring in trust and bonding for our team.”

https://www.brownszone.com/2022/05/...ions-despite-lawsuits-nfl-investigation/
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 02:43 PM
What has Watson done for the Cleveland Browns..?

Watson may have been considered a leader in the past, but I seriously doubt that he was handed the title of "leader" when he was a incoming freshman in college.

I seriously doubt that Watson was handed the title of team leader of the Texans as an incoming rookie.

Those who believe Watson is the leader of the Browns based on his past...you must consider his "entire past", on and off the field.

IMO, Watson has a lot to prove before he can be mentioned as a leader of the Browns offense.

Nick Chubb and Joel Bitonio are the type of leaders the Browns can depend on based on their past conduct and the sacrifices that they have made since being drafted by the Browns.

Watson has to earn the title of "a leader" by proving himself on and off the field, as a Cleveland Brown.

jmo
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 03:53 PM
j/c:

eek
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 04:01 PM
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 04:10 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 06:16 PM
j/c:

eek

hey memp & vers...who the hell is your source MoreForYouCleveland ?

I stand by my beliefs... leadership positions are not for giving away because a few guys like you !

Leadership position are to earned !!

What in the world has Deshaun Watson done to earn a leadership position with the Browns ?

When Watson cleans up his mess off the field and proves himself playing for the Browns, then I might feel he's worthy of being called a leader for the Cleveland Browns.

The fact that there might be a few players willing say nice things about Watson because they like him...that is hardly an endorsement that meets my standards for 'leadership' .

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 06:46 PM
No one is trying to change your mind. I said i was fine w/your opinion. However, we are permitted to express our opinions, as well. No?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 06:56 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 06:57 PM
How do you tweak your knee against air?
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 07:04 PM
It maybe a blessing ... now we might actually go sign a FA Veteran receiver.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 07:11 PM
I'll just post the link because there are several independent tweets w/in the article.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/07/browns-training-camp-practice-no-2-live-updates.html
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Playing "in air" seems to be his m.o., so I'm not surprised.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 07:36 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 07:41 PM
Trotter seems to have a bit of a grudge against the Browns.

I notice he brought up the Cooper quote, but left this part out, which was part of the #4 thing he said about Carr, Dak, and Watson.

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 07:48 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 07:57 PM
I don't see anything in what I posted showing Trotter has a grudge against the Browns. Maybe he posted something after we moved on from Baker?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 08:01 PM
I could be wrong. Just an impression I've had since this whole Baker/Watson thing went down and the fact that he followed Baker here from Oklahoma. Also, I thought it was odd how he left out the magician comment that was part of the #4 comment. The context changes quite a bit w/out that comment. But again, maybe I'm reading too much into his comments over time.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 08:16 PM

This is for you Bone
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 08:18 PM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 08:45 PM
Sounds like the locker room is a better place without OBJ and his toxicity. Once he started his crap the whole roster fell apart, picking sides or being caught in between. But I'm sure Vers has a different opinion.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 09:01 PM

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 09:16 PM
Trotter seems to have a bit of a grudge against the Browns.

I notice he brought up the Cooper quote, but left this part out, which was part of the #4 thing he said about Carr, Dak, and Watson.

Grudge. rofl

That wasn't "part of the #4 thing" at all. He stood and answered at least 30 question over about 13 minutes. Those two questions were at least five minutes apart. Maybe he has a grudge against Cooper since he left out the other 25 answers?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by mac
j/c:

eek

hey memp & vers...who the hell is your source MoreForYouCleveland ?

I stand by my beliefs... leadership positions are not for giving away because a few guys like you !

Leadership position are to earned !!

What in the world has Deshaun Watson done to earn a leadership position with the Browns ?

When Watson cleans up his mess off the field and proves himself playing for the Browns, then I might feel he's worthy of being called a leader for the Cleveland Browns.

The fact that there might be a few players willing say nice things about Watson because they like him...that is hardly an endorsement that meets my standards for 'leadership' .

Your standard for leadership doesn't matter because you aren't on the team.

And from what i have read, it didn't sound like they were talking about one individual, at least by name.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 09:39 PM
I've been watching the Twitter feeds for the Panthers and Jets as well as the Browns. Stefanski is truly running camp cupcake.

But hey, mental reps!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 09:46 PM
Pads go on Tuesday of next week. Running against air isn't a bad way to start. We have a lot of new parts on offense. All new qbs and a new #1 WR. At this point in time, it's all about establishing timing and familiarity. I wouldn't let it concern you.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 09:56 PM
What's the average age of our team? Camp Cupcake might not be the worst thing in the world for the vets. I'll get more worried if this trend continues well into next week.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/28/22 10:06 PM
I don't know the average age of our team. I will say that on one of the NFL shows that was on today, they were talking about the guys around the league like Deebo, Metcalf, etc who are "holding in." In other words, they are at camp, but not participating because they want new contracts. They were pointing at Trey Lance and Deebo specifically, but I guess the same point could be made about Lock and Metcalf. They said it was important to play against air at first to establish chemistry and timing. It wouldn't be a big deal if Jimmy G was still the qb.

So, we can say the same about our guys. None of our QBs have worked w/any of these receivers before. It's wise to let them develop some chemistry before facing defenses.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 12:42 AM
I read KS’s presser and he was asked about Jordan Elliott. Gave some positive feedback to the media about JE - maybe just a coach blowing smoke - but he mentioned that Elliott came to camp with a good mindset, worked hard this off-season. We need him, or a guy like him, to make an impact on the DL interior. This is a crucial season for him so he best be kicking arse.
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 12:45 AM
Is Browns training camp still at Baldwin Wallace? I remember taking my son there many years ago. Great place to have a training camp.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 01:56 AM
It's at the Browns facilities now Mom. It is right down the street from BW.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 02:06 AM
i love the atmosphere at BW college and thereabouts. I’ll try to get there once
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 02:34 AM
j/c...

Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 10:22 AM
Originally Posted by sk8termom
Is Browns training camp still at Baldwin Wallace? I remember taking my son there many years ago. Great place to have a training camp.

It's still in the same place. I remember seeing you and your family at Training camp back in the day when you took your son.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I read KS’s presser and he was asked about Jordan Elliott. Gave some positive feedback to the media about JE - maybe just a coach blowing smoke - but he mentioned that Elliott came to camp with a good mindset, worked hard this off-season. We need him, or a guy like him, to make an impact on the DL interior. This is a crucial season for him so he best be kicking arse.

Let's hope he makes a big jump. He was ranked at the very bottom of the list by PFF for DTs last year. I forget what it was exactly, but something like 108th out of 112.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 12:24 PM
Thanks man.

I may finally break down and buy a jersey.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 12:28 PM
There are limits per the players agreement on what can be done at practices.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 12:28 PM
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 05:10 PM
The whole practice video was a glorified catch in the backyard.

First real practice will probably be week 1.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 05:22 PM

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 05:38 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 05:50 PM

Doesn’t sound good for us signing a vet. Go with the kids is the plan.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 07:58 PM

Not what I wanted to post.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 09:49 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/29/22 09:51 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 01:58 AM
What's the average age of our team? Camp Cupcake might not be the worst thing in the world for the vets. I'll get more worried if this trend continues well into next week.
But this is not the first year this could be said, and, the evidence appears evident, that practicing harder might do them some good.
And
This is also not the first year to read comments like the one above, comments like: it's ok if they practice easy for now, we can be more worried if it shows up later. :
But, It always does, and by then it's too late.
Meanwhile: Teams like other teams in the AFC North... they don't remain known for this kind of thing.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 07:14 AM

Doesn’t sound good for us signing a vet. Go with the kids is the plan.

It is.

My feeling is if we go for any help at any of the positions, it won't be early. Maybe not until final cut downs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 11:07 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 11:19 AM
Deshaun Watson works against the defense for the 1st time: What happened on Day 3 of Browns training camp

Updated: Jul. 29, 2022, 9:03 p.m.|Published: Jul. 29, 2022, 7:31 p.m.

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com

BEREA, Ohio — Deshaun Watson and the Browns offense worked against the defense for the first time in camp, with Watson throwing touchdown passes into the end zone to Nick Chubb, Harrison Bryant and David Njoku.

Watson, taking all the first-team reps as though a potential suspension isn’t looming, operated two 7-on-7 drills and completed numerous attempts to Donovan Peoples-Jones, Demetric Felton on a deep ball, and others.

Jacoby Brissett took the second-team reps, with Josh Dobbs going third and Josh Rosen fourth.

In red zone 7-on-7s, Watson rolled to the right and found Harrison Bryant in the back of the end zone. Safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. knocked the ball away from fullback Johnny Stanton in the end zone on a pass from Brissett.

Watson and Brissett also got good work in 11-on-11s, albeit with no pads. The first day in pads is Tuesday.

Fans coming Saturday

After three straight practices closed to the public, the Browns will welcome fans to camp for the first time on Saturday.

“It always does (feel different with the fans),’’ Stefanski said. “It does. The players love playing in front of the fans. We are excited to have (the fans). It will be my first training camp where it’s a true open camp and you have both sides of the field with fans. I think it was a little bit more muted with just one side and that type of thing. I’m looking forward to that. I’m looking forward to that energy that it brings because it does ramp up the energy that the players then have.”

Anthony Schwartz day-to-day

Stefanski revealed Friday that Schwartz suffered only a strained knee in practice on Thursday and that he’s day-to-day. He said the injury is not severe, and that Schwartz will be ready for the opener in Carolina.

Schwartz participated in the morning walkthrough with a wrap on his left knee, but skipped the afternoon session. It’s a setback for Schwartz, but not as bad as it could’ve been.

Watson’s suspension could be announced early next week.

It wasn’t part of a Friday news dump, and could be handed down early next week by NFL Disciplinary Officer Sue L. Robinson. At that point, the NFL and NFL Players Association will decide if they want to appeal, unless they agree not to before the sanctions are announced and Robinson’s word is final.

Ruling on Watson could come early next week

The Browns claimed safety Jovante Moffatt off waivers via the Jets

The Browns welcomed back Moffatt (5-foot-11, 213 pounds), who spent the past two seasons here after signing with the Browns as an undrafted free agent in 2020 out of Middle Tennessee State. He spent most of the season on the Browns’ practice squad in 2021, but appeared in five games. In his two seasons, he’s played in 14 games and registered 10 tackles. Moffatt is a native of Union City, Tenn., and is officially in his third season.

Denzel Ward participates in catch drills after practice

Ward is doing as much as he can while on the PUP list with his foot injury. After practice, he worked alongside his defensive teammates on catch-and-tuck drills.

“He still there,’’ defensive coordinator Joe Woods said. “He still comes to all of the meetings and we have some walkthroughs and we’re teaching guys techniques. I think it just gives other guys the opportunity to get reps – MJ Emerson can get more reps and some different combinations on the field. It helps out, and we know we will get Denzel back in a couple of weeks.”

They said it

Joe Woods, on Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah looking like a running back on the field

“Absolutely. We talk about our linebackers, we want them to look like the animals that they hunt. We want our linebackers to resemble running backs because those are the guys they have to defend.”

Kevin Stefanski, on the players talking about the good new vibe

“I’m not real big on vibes.”

Donovan Peoples-Jones, on the Browns trading for Amari Cooper

“Growing up, he was one of my favorite players, was actually the reason I wore No. 9 in high school and in college, so it’s dope.’'

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...ed-on-day-3-of-browns-training-camp.html
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 07:57 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 08:40 PM
I noticed that Grant has been making a lot of catches over the middle on the highlight reels.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 09:02 PM
It is interesting to listen to the coaches when they talk about JOK.

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 09:35 PM
With Bell out he has been in the slot a lot. I think Zegura said that today.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 09:39 PM

His original headline said muted applause.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 10:19 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/30/22 11:15 PM
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 01:32 AM
I noticed that Grant has been making a lot of catches over the middle on the highlight reels.

Did you mean Bryant? He has flashed as a receiver, not a tonne of history to go by but he seems to have good hands and some courage. This will be his third year.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 02:13 AM

Wow, what a great guy. You browns fans must be so proud of your QB.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 02:23 AM
He meant Grant. He is pretty much a return guy but is getting reps with the Bell injury. Bryant is reportedly catching everything thrown his way
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 02:33 AM
Originally Posted by Baker_Dawg

Since you’re not a fan you should probably post either in the smack shack or better yet here. https://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/7-carolina-panthers/

Watson might be a creep but he is also our (Browns) QB. Your hero is busy throwing picks in Carolina
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by Baker_Dawg

Since you’re not a fan you should probably post either in the smack shack or better yet here. https://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/7-carolina-panthers/

Watson might be a creep but he is also our (Browns) QB. Your hero is busy throwing picks in Carolina

Anyone is a hero compared to DeMassage. Availability is the first skill of a QB, DeMassage won't be throwing any picks since he won't be available. At least you will have a respectable person to cheer for when Brisset starts
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 02:48 AM
If you're looking for Baker, there's a Cheesecake Factory at the Southpark Mall in Charlotte. He's probably eating his sorrows away because he's going to be backing up Sam Darnold. Or he's in the back parking lot.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 03:54 AM
We'll see week one. I'm fine to root for a team with either Baker or Darnold starting. But, someone that has over 2 dozen sexual lawsuits against them, sorry I'd rather root for a losing team. What compels a person to cheer for someone like that, can you explain? Desperate?
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 04:47 AM
"You browns fans..."

So you never really adopted the team, only the player whom you followed here.
I get it. It's not really a problem for me, at all.
Everyone is allowed to fan as they see fit.

But really... if you're going to continue hanging out here after #6 has moved on to Carolina, you should at least swap the word "Dawg" for "Fan" in your screen name. You were never really a Dawg, you never really embraced the team that has been in Ohio's blood for 75 years, and you were always going to follow Baker Mayfield wherever he went... even if he signed a second contract, won 2 Lombardis in the 216, and FA'd himself somewhere else.

We've seen guys like you before.
Most of them just moved on. You seem to need to stick around and play the troll. That seems sad to me. I mean, you could be spending your time at the Panther's site, logging in as Baker_Cat, bring the hype to a brand new audience, and forget you ever knew us. A much healthier choice.

You could be having a much better time elsewhere, yet you come to a place that's populated with people who pzz you off. I don't understand it.

[shrugs]
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 04:54 AM
What's with all the padding on their helmets?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

It's the new look NFL.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 10:30 AM
I have never posted on another team's board. I have never understood the troll mentality. Hell, a couple of our own board members have turned into trolls. They don't like the team anymore. Won't root for them. Trash the Browns all the time. And belittle other board members for supporting the team. It boggles my mind that people find pleasure in the pursuit of torturing others.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 11:48 AM
There was a camp clip showing reps of DW and JB. No big deal just practice reps.

When you watch athletes in groups at practice sometimes you notice little things.

DW is very smooth in all movement. He is a natural athlete. His feet are quick. His set up smooth and fast. His delivery classic. He has a quick release. His posture and mechanics are refined.

JB is a big guy. When you see him move in comparison to DW. The difference is noticeable. JB is slower. He throws the ball fine. His overall movements are not like DW.

DW clearly is a specimen. Like looking at a thoroughbred horse.

Not talking about field execution or playing quarterback. His pure athletic ability shines through.

It looks so easy for him to do everything required.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 11:56 AM
Watson is certainly more fluid than Jacoby. I agree about his quick release. One other thing is that Jacoby has the prototypical height and frame of an NFL qb. Pretty impressive. I just haven't seen enough of him over the years to make a sincere evaluation. I've watched him, but never really studied him.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 01:03 PM
3 Quick takeaways from Cleveland Browns training camp Day 4
https://dawgpounddaily.com/2022/07/31/3-takeaways-cleveland-browns-training-camp-day-4/

The first camp practice with fans in attendance for the Cleveland Browns is in the books, a look at the 3 major takeaways from practice.

On Day 4 of Cleveland Browns training camp, the team opened practice to the fans and I was in attendance to get my first in-person look at the 2022 Browns.

The practice wasn’t in pads so it’s hard to get a real idea of what they will look like but it was nice to see them back on the field. Let’s look at the three biggest takeaways from Saturday’s practice.

Mike Woods deserves attention
Wide receiver Mike Woods, the 6th round (202nd overall) pick from Oklahoma, looked really impressive Saturday in both individual and team drills. He was a smooth route runner getting in and out of his breaks effortlessly and with precision.

He’s such a natural pass catcher it looks effortless and his large frame provides a great target for quarterbacks. I wasn’t high on Woods when he was picked but early on he has been really impressive behind Donovan Peoples-Jones and Amari Cooper.

With David Bell and Anthony Schwartz missing early camp practices with injury, Woods is capitalizing on the opportunities. If he continues his strong camp he will make the roster with ease in September.

Cade York is the real deal
It isn’t often that you gravitate to the kicker for a long period of time during a training camp practice but that happened on Saturday. Everyone is curious if Cade York is the guy and early on in camp he clearly has the best shot to fix the Browns’ kicker problems.

He was driving the ball down the middle with ease making deep kicks from 50 yards out. The ball was just booming off of his foot and he has the leg strength to make the kicks in the winds of Cleveland. None of his kicks today were in question, it was really refreshing to see.

The feel around this Cleveland Browns team is positive
It just felt like watching the players out there, they were having fun and relaxed despite any off-the-field situations. The vibe is good, the team just seems like they don’t feel pressure and are comfortable with their teammates.

Most times have this vibe at the beginning of camp so you can’t read a ton into it but from a fan’s perspective, it was a great day and a fun experience. The defense has a ton of speed and will be special this season.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 01:11 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 01:13 PM
I have seen very little of JB.

So I am with you in that I have not studied him either.

What I was trying to say was not really a comparison or criticism of JB.

It was about DW and him as a pure athlete. I have seen a lot of baseball players. Some just look different. Ronald Acuna of the Braves is like that.
He is faster, smoother, more powerful, can throw farther, hit harder a true 5 tool player.

Deshaun looks the part. Just watching him move. It looks good. Like a great golf swing. Or, the form on a jump shot. The ball comes out right.

I am sure youu know what I mean.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 01:25 PM
I do know what you mean. I was agreeing w/you and just added a couple of comments.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 03:09 PM
CAMPER OF THE DAY: Rookie kicker Cade York went 6-for-6 in the first field goal drill of camp. His strong right leg was obvious, especially on a booming 48-yarder to finish.

PLAY OF THE DAY: Watson threw a fastball over the middle, and 5-foot-6 receiver Jakeem Grant Sr. reached up to grab it for an impressive completion.

QUOTES OF THE DAY: “I definitely use social media. For some reason, I just can’t see any negative comments. It’s just the craziest thing.” — Tight end David Njoku.

“Myles is still Myles, man. I don’t know what else could change, he can’t get much bigger. He’s not getting no smaller. He’s the same Jurassic Myles.” — Safety Grant Delpit on defensive end Myles Garrett.

SUNDAY’S SCHEDULE: The players are off. Practice resumes Monday at 2 p.m. and is open to fans.

https://www.brownszone.com/2022/07/...-fans-to-choose-field-design-for-season/
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

It's the new look NFL.
It's crazy, like putting padding on the ceiling, floors and walls of a tiny closet. That's what it reminds me of.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 03:45 PM
Skimming through that I only caught, "this Cleveland Browns team is positive" , I thought, For What! Venereal Disease? Monkey Pox? Covid? (oh, it's "the feeling around this Cleveland Browns team is positive.")

I think all the Wr's = the team is kidding itself they have Zero that can beat really tuff defenders.
They have a plethora that can beat weak defenders, but in the NFL that equates to losses in the regular season.
They may be making plays but nobody has proven anything except? Njoku, and a couple of the Rb's. Ya can't count A. Coopers' until he does it in the AFC north, on this team, for this team, against the tuff defenses, on gamedays. Not just Cooper, any of the players really.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 03:57 PM

Wonder who, what or why he changed it?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 04:20 PM

\

Are you sure it was Petrak? I'm not saying you are wrong but Tom Withers specifically used the word muted in his article. Just wondering if you might have mixed up the two?

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 05:07 PM

Here is a little more about that reaction from the fans.....

Deshaun Watson gets muted reaction at Browns’ open practice

BEREA, Ohio (AP) — Deshaun Watson sprinted onto the field to a light round of cheers Saturday at the Cleveland Browns’ first open practice of training camp.

The noticeably muted reaction reflected the uncertainty surrounding Cleveland’s controversial new quarterback.

Watson was the focal point as the Browns worked out in front of a near-capacity crowd at their suburban headquarters. He briefly waved while running to the middle of the practice fields, but did not speak with the media.

The 26-year-old quarterback is awaiting a decision from retired judge Sue L. Robinson. She’s determining if Watson violated the NFL’s personal conduct policy after being accused of sexual misconduct by 24 massage therapists. A lengthy suspension is possible.

“I can’t wait for us to get to play together, whichever week we see him,” Cleveland tight end David Njoku said. “Hopefully, it’s sooner than later. I’m excited. I can’t wait.

“But it’s not hard, we just have to take each day as it is. Whoever we have, we have to put our best foot forward and just keep working.”

Watson, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, signed a five-year, $230 million contract with the Browns after being acquired from Houston in exchange for three first-round draft picks in March. He was a member of the Texans during all of the alleged incidents.

Two separate Texas grand juries declined to indict Watson on any of the criminal complaints. He has settled 20 of the 24 civil lawsuits filed against him, and the attorney representing the women has said he hopes to take the other four to trial next spring.

There were no boos directed toward Watson at practice, but All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett and standout running back Nick Chubb were welcomed onto the field with much louder, prolonged ovations.

“You can tell by the turnout that people want to go all-out for the Browns, but I think fans are being cautious,” said Hans Schneider, a 21-year season ticket holder and mayor of Wellington, Ohio. “Once a decision is made with Deshaun, there will be clarity.

“I’m very respectful of both sides, but regardless of the decision, some people will be happy and some will be unhappy about it.”

Watson did interact with several dozen young fans following the 80-minute practice, patiently signing autographs and taking photos on the sideline. He also gave away his cleats as prizes for playing games of rock, paper, scissors.

The lucky winners were 10-year-old Tanner Hall and 9-year-old Barrett Radel, who were wearing Chubb and Garrett jerseys. Only a handful of adults sported Watson’s No. 4, but the No. 6 of former Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield was well represented.

“I’m going to keep this in my room with me,” Radel said, beaming as he cradled Watson’s autographed shoe.

The fan interaction evoked warm memories for safety Grant Delpit, Cleveland’s second-round selection in 2020. The New Orleans native attended Saints practices as a pre-teen and was given an autographed football by his grandmother.

“I remember going to Saints training camp and that was the coolest thing ever,” Delpit said. “It’s cool to see it go full circle. I’m excited.”

Because of COVID-19 restrictions the past two summers, the Browns limited camp access to the public. Delpit is eager to make up for lost time.

“I haven’t really been here with (full access to) fans before, so we’re going to have some fun, man,” Delpit said. “I’m going to meet some kids and make some kids’ day. We’re going to try and make some people’s day out here.”

NOTES: The players will have their first day off Sunday after starting camp with four lower-intensity practices. “Don’t worry, there will be plenty of dog days in training camp where the players aren’t going to like me much,” Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said. …

Garrett’s chiseled 6-foot-4, 272-pound physique remains a popular subject with his teammates. “I don’t know what else could change, it can’t get much bigger,” Delpit said. “He’s not getting no smaller. He’s the same Jurassic Myles.” …

Rookie WR Isiah Weston (knee) was carted off the field, joining Anthony Schwartz (left knee strain) and rookie David Bell (foot) with camp injuries at the position.

https://apnews.com/article/new-orle...YFRgeBs4kAB2uwoePODCVQn_TfMWTfjmm0TcgggA
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 08:19 PM

\

Are you sure it was Petrak? I'm not saying you are wrong but Tom Withers specifically used the word muted in his article. Just wondering if you might have mixed up the two?

Yeah, I'm sure. Scott seems to be a straight shooter so I was taken back by the change. Maybe it was just that it was more of a delayed response. Watson did get a loud ovation from the crowd according to someone I know who was there. I also heard it from a Twitter clip that was posted to.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 07/31/22 11:14 PM
When even Clem is “suggesting” it might be best if you gather up your things and hit the Willie Nelson highway, that is ominous. For you, that is. I liked Baker, but he’s gone. I’m a Browns fan first, last and always, and since you are not, you may as well saddle up and head south.

Don’t come here running your mouth about the Browns. WE can do that, but YOU can’t.

Happy trails, & safe travels.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 01:09 AM
When even Clem is “suggesting” it might be best if you gather up your things and hit the Willie Nelson highway, that is ominous. For you, that is. I liked Baker, but he’s gone. I’m a Browns fan first, last and always, and since you are not, you may as well saddle up and head south.

Don’t come here running your mouth about the Browns. WE can do that, but YOU can’t.

Hallelujah, and if Lamp says it, it is law.

Hasta la vista.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 01:26 AM
Thought it was cool DW played rock scissors and papers for his cleats
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 03:53 AM
Originally Posted by FATE

Hallelujah, and if Lamp says it, it is law.

Hasta la vista.

Sorry, I'll stick around as that annoying little voice, some might call a conscience, to remind you of the behavior you are excusing and endorsing all in the almighty name of winning.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 04:00 AM
If lamp says you won’t, you won’t. Trust us on this.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 04:01 AM

\

Yeah, I'm sure. Scott seems to be a straight shooter so I was taken back by the change. Maybe it was just that it was more of a delayed response. Watson did get a loud ovation from the crowd according to someone I know who was there. I also heard it from a Twitter clip that was posted to.

A quick note, Tom Withers did not write the AP article he is being quoted as stating the crowd reaction was 'muted'. The AP article was actually written by Brian Dulik. Brian Dulik got it wrong.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 04:25 AM
Thanks pdawg, for the clarification.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

\

A quick note, Tom Withers did not write the AP article he is being quoted as stating the crowd reaction was 'muted'. The AP article was actually written by Brian Dulik. Brian Dulik got it wrong.

Thanks for the correction, Milk.

From everything I've read, videos seen, and comments from people there, it seems like it was far from muted.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 11:03 AM
Sorry, I'll stick around as that annoying little voice

That's fine. As a self-acknowledged annoying voice, the smack shack is the place for that. You can smack talk and be as annoying as you want over there.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 02:17 PM
j/c...

Nate Ulrich
@ByNateUlrich
#Browns moves for today:

Activated T Jack Conklin from active/PUP.

Signed WR Derrick Dillon.

Waived WR Isaiah Weston (knee) with injury designation.

https://twitter.com/ByNateUlrich/status/1554108503018688514
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 02:20 PM
Good news re: Conklin
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 03:24 PM
Signed WR Derrick Dillon.

I guess we're not done with LSU receivers.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 03:44 PM
Good news re: Conklin

For sure. It seems like not-long-ago patellar tears were career-ending injuries, or at least ones that would cause a person to be out at least a year+. Have we gotten better at the medical procedures, or is my recollection just off (likely scarred due to the Bentley and Baxter scenarios)?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 06:56 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 06:57 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 06:57 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 07:01 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 07:29 PM

ok so it'll be safe to buy a jersey NEXT offseason. coolio.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 07:29 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 07:49 PM
LOL
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 08:11 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 11:16 PM
I'd love to post the usual training camp day recaps but no one has put them up as of yet. I should say no-one but the Browns site. For the life of me I can't seem to post it. Maybe Greatful or Milk can post it.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/01/22 11:54 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:11 AM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:19 AM

I love Joe Thomas. Man, he never had this kind of help on the line while he played. Imagine this Oline with him still at LT. Smh.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:20 AM

I've stayed quiet on all things DW while waiting for the verdict from Robinson, but credit where credit is due; he can ball.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:21 AM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:24 AM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:26 AM

It would be awesome if Greedy, Newsome, and Delpit all come into their own and prove to be top-tier or elite this year. That would be crazy.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:28 AM
We really need the defense as a whole to be top 5.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:29 AM

Nor much here.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:30 AM
That would be nice, #1 would be better, but I would settle for the top ten.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

It would be awesome if Greedy, Newsome, and Delpit all come into their own and prove to be top-tier or elite this year. That would be crazy.

Yes it would. I believe it is very possible.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 01:31 AM
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

Yes it would. I believe it is very possible.

Newsome is already a freak imo, Delpit has a lot to prove and all the tools to prove it, Greedy is a bit underappreciated but still needs to take the next step.

I'll say this about Greedy... He is the master of getting "handsy", but not so handsy that a zebra feels the need to get handsy and float the flag. He is a PEST.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 01:41 AM
Newsome was awesome his rookie year, but we'll see if he can get to that next level during his sophomore year. I hope he does, and all of them do.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 03:22 AM
[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]

DPJ looks like he's been working out with Myles. And doing squats with Chubb.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 04:26 AM
Other than DPJ himself, Landry probably gets credit for that transformation. He made a real impression on the young guys.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the updates, people.

Pads come on today. Should be interesting.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 11:01 AM
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 02:12 PM

Pit and OCD heads are gonna explode watching this.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 02:13 PM
had to be working out with myles. his thighs have thighs.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by Swish

Don't really care. It's been fully established people will sell their souls to win. Not surprising.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 04:00 PM
those kids are part of the satanic cult now? lol
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 04:08 PM
No, just being indoctrinated into thinking sexual predators are heroes.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 04:11 PM
by the moms there too?

anyways, guys whats the early reports on Njoku? is he looking good early on?
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 04:28 PM
Dropped a td yesterday.

But pads come on today. Only 3 practices after every other team's pads have come on. But, hey we are ramping up!
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 04:33 PM
It's awfully early yet in TC...but I always wonder what the roster looks like after an off-season...almost more from a physical and attitude perspective.

Is Hubbard rusty? Healthy?

Is Hudson stronger? Improved technique?

Has Bryant gotten stronger?

Is the team still high on Harris (C)?

Is Wills healthy and in better shape?

Is Elliott being asked to be more of a run-stopper and is that why he's up over 300lbs?

Does LeCounte make it to meetings on time?

Should we still fear Hughley?
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 05:19 PM
Dropped a td yesterday.

But pads come on today. Only 3 practices after every other team's pads have come on. But, hey we are ramping up!

facts. i really hope njoku really proves he's an elite player this year. even with watson out the first 6 games, he's gonna get a nice amount of targets from brissett. hope that blocking picks up as well.

hope Amari will be ok
Posted By: IrishDawg42 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 05:26 PM
by the moms there too?

anyways, guys whats the early reports on Njoku? is he looking good early on?

Are you talking about the mom with the beard, or the one with the mustache?
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 05:32 PM
facts. i really hope njoku really proves he's an elite player this year. even with watson out the first 6 games, he's gonna get a nice amount of targets from brissett. hope that blocking picks up as well.

I hope so, too.

With some lingering questions at WR, Njoku and Bryant are going to be even more important in the short passing game, particularly for Brissett. Moving the sticks for 6-10yds. (imo)
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 05:40 PM
I just hoping Njoku can become a top 10-12 TE. Let alone elite. The only thing elite about him thus far is his measurables. Dude needs to prove he’s got a better feel for the game this year. That takes more than looking like an action figure when your shirt’s off.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 05:43 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 05:43 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 05:57 PM
Given our QB situation.........it really sucks that we have so many WRs not practicing. This is the time to develop some chemistry given our circumstances.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 07:19 PM

Nope. I'm good. People can feel how they feel. Rapey DW is our QB for the foreseeable future. He was judged under the scope of NFL CBA rules and found to be everything I said he was. This isn't a whitewashing or coverup, it's a failure of their system. Almost all of the women have got what they asked for in 'restitution' and the whole world knows what he did. If the evidence wasn't enough to criminally charge him, this is about the best that those of us who thought he should be punished could ask for. She also gave him guardrails and set the NFL up to rid themselves of him should he repeat his behavior. Now, in his second (last) chance, he gets to prove himself, one way or the other. I'm good with that.

Now I can support the team and watch RDW play without feeling like I shouldn't or without feeling complicit due to a game. At this point, I have nothing for RDW but disgust, maybe that will change, maybe not, but I can hold my head up as a fan now and that is important to me. And finally, it's now established that rapey and predator ARE IN FACT accurate words to describe his past behavior. So there is that too look forward to reminding Vers of every Sunday. This all makes me a happy camper at this point. Go Browns!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 07:53 PM
j/c...

Daryl Ruiter
@RuiterWrongFAN
It seems there are 2 daily consistencies at #Browns camp - AJ Green breaks up a pass & Michael Woods II makes a play
https://twitter.com/RuiterWrongFAN/status/1554539346300108800

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 09:26 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 09:30 PM

I read another report where they said Jordon Elliot batted the pass.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 09:36 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/02/22 09:52 PM
"In the previous two practices, we’ve seen rookie kicker Cade York come in against light pressure and nail six kicks in each session, going a perfect 12-for-12 combined. His longest kick on Saturday came from about 48 yards and on Monday, 51. Both looked like they would have been good from about 60, easy."

Yo. Kicker-dude. Miss a couple now while it doesn't matter!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by versatile dog
Given our QB situation.........it really sucks that we have so many WRs not practicing. This is the time to develop some chemistry given our circumstances.
I thought NFL chemistry took/takes about 2-3 or more years to develop, therefore training camp would be pretty meaningless as a time to develop chemistry. Plus, they can't simulate game action until they experience it together.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 12:10 PM
No, that is not true. Chemistry can be improved during camps. Without a doubt.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 12:32 PM
No, that is not true. Chemistry can be improved during camps. Without a doubt.

I think chemistry can be achieved/improved in a variety of ways. As odd as it may seem, I think chemistry is easier to achieve/improve when the FO and Coaching staffs have some continuity and common view of what the team should be - on and off the filed...in season and off season. Maybe the chemistry of the team starts with the chemistry of the coaches and FO. Something(s) we have generally lacked STR.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 01:54 PM
You can check out the link for thirty plus photos.

Training Camp Observations: Day 6

The Browns strapped the pads Tuesday for the first time in training camp
Aug 02, 2022 at 06:09 PM

Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

Observations
The Browns' 2022 training camp schedule hit an important benchmark Tuesday — the pads came on for the first time in camp, and the intensity ramped up.

While players still weren't allowed to tackle, it was still good to see a few shoulders lowered and some battles in the trenches. Padded practices normally give a much clearer picture on who's standing out in training camp, and we got the first of several good looks at certain players Tuesday.

Here's what happened on the field from Day 6 in Berea.

Photos: Training Camp Day 6
Check out photos of players and coaches working throughout camp

– It's become the norm the last few years to see Myles Garrett beginning the padded portion of training camp at an explosive level. Garrett was all over the backfield again Tuesday and sniffed out a few would-be sacks, the first of which he followed with a playful yell to let everyone know he did his job. As a reminder: Garrett is four sacks away from breaking the franchise all-time sack record of 62 sacks from Clay Matthews.

– Overall, it appeared to be a good day for the defense. They shut down a few run plays and gave fits at times on pass plays. One two-play sequence as an example of that during 7-on-7 drills was when QB Deshaun Watson scrambled to his right on two consecutive plays and found no one open. The first one led to a celebratory fist raise from defensive coordinator Joe Woods, and the second one led to Watson begrudgingly spiking the ball into the grass.

– The offense, however, is missing a few key weapons. WR Amari Cooper did not practice Tuesday and was on the sidelines. Head coach Kevin Stefanski said Cooper "will be back pretty soon." Anthony Schwartz (knee), David Bell (foot) and Javon Wims (illness) also did not practice.

– With several receivers out, Donovan Peoples-Jones has continued a smooth start to camp and has caught nearly everything thrown his way so far. Michael Woods II has benefitted from the additional receiver reps as well. On one play Tuesday, Woods caught a pass near the sideline before turning the other direction and sprinting upfield for what would've been a pickup of at least 20 yards.

– We've mentioned Jakeem Grant and his speed quite a few times in these training camp observations because it really has been noticeable. Grant caught a pass and sprinted for another nice gain Tuesday, and even though defenders weren't allowed to tackle him, he still looked shifty and quick. He's had about one play per practice that has showcased his speed, which has made him a dangerous returner in the league and should allow him to be used effectively as a gadget player in the offense.

– OT Jack Conklin was activated from the active/PUP list Monday but was not in pads Tuesday. Stefanski said on Monday that Conklin will be working back to speed after spending the offseason recovering from a season-ending knee injury.

– DT Tommy Togiai joined Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney as defensive linemen who have swatted balls at the line of scrimmage since the defense began taking reps against the offense. Togiai has continued to play with Perrion Winfrey on the second-team.

– LB Willie Harvey Jr. had two consecutive nice plays that drew some yells from Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah on the sidelines. Harvey snuffed out a run play for a would-be tackle for a loss, then burst through the line of scrimmage for a sack. Owusu-Koramoah was not in the play but ran onto the field to celebrate with Harvey after the sack.

– CB Parnell Motley has also been off to a nice start in camp. He had two pass breakups on Saturday and had another Tuesday.

– P Corey Bojorquez missed his second straight practice with a right foot injury.

– Former Browns tackle and 10-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas gave lessons after practice to the offensive linemen for the second consecutive day. Thomas spent a few minutes individually with each tackle and then spent roughly 20 minutes working exclusively with Jedrick Wills Jr.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/training-camp-observations-day-6
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 01:56 PM
I’m encouraged by what I’ve read about Woods (the WR not the DC haha). He may be earning a roster spot
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 02:04 PM
Yeah, it seems he is taking advantage of his increased opportunities.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 06:28 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 11:12 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 11:16 PM
Michael Woods is a kid to watch.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/03/22 11:22 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/05/22 09:46 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/05/22 11:18 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/05/22 11:19 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/05/22 11:41 PM
USFL’s Chris Odom an Intriguing Option at Edge Rusher for Packers

by Paul Bretl1 month ago Follow @Paul_Bretl

The Green Bay Packers have an opening on the 53-man roster, and while many are focused on the wide receiver position, edge rusher remains a big need for the team as well.

Beyond Rashan Gary and Preston Smith, there are a lot of unknowns at this position. Jonathan Garvin and Tipa Galeai both saw their fair share of playing time a season ago, but the Packers need a more consistent impact from whoever ends up as the third and four edge rushers this season.

Randy Ramsey will be returning, and GM Brian Gutekunst expressed that the team is “excited” to have him back; however, Ramsey has only 75 career defensive snaps. Rookie Kingsley Enagbare could provide a boost on passing situations, but there’s a risk in relying heavily on a Day 3 pick right away.

Others competing for playing time and a roster spot on the Packers include UDFA Chauncey Manac, Kobe Jones, and La’Darius Hamilton.
As we saw just last summer when the Green Bay Packers signed both De’Vondre Campbell and Dennis Kelly after June 1st, there are still impact players available in free agency. Some of whom at the edge rusher position include Justin Houston and Jason Pierre-Paul, among others.

However, an under-the-radar name out there is Chris Odom, who isn’t even in the NFL at this moment. Instead, Odom just finished competing with the Houston Gamblers of the USFL.

If Odom’s name sounds familiar, it’s because he spent time with Green Bay in 2017. Odom went undrafted that year out of Arkansas State, and in addition to the Packers, he has spent time with Atlanta and Washington as well as played in both the CFL and the American Alliance Football League.

According to PFF ($$), at the NFL level, Odom has been on the field for 106 defensive snaps — none since 2019 — along with 56 on special teams and appeared in 11 games. He has logged two sacks and four pressures during that span.

During the inaugural USFL season, the 6’4” – 256-pound Odom was downright dominant, recording 41 total tackles, six forced fumbles, and 12 sacks. He was also recently named the USFL’s Defensive Player of the Year.

“Chris Odom of the Houston Gamblers deserves a chance to be a rotational pass rusher in the NFL in ’22,” said Eric Eager of PFF. “He has 50 pressures so far this year, while no other player has more than 38. He wins 25% of pass-rushing reps, which is the highest mark in the league.”

Without a doubt, NFL teams will be interested in signing Odom prior to training camp starting up, and the Green Bay Packers should be one of those teams, given the reasons mentioned above.

While, of course, there is no guarantee that he finds any success in the NFL, at a minimum, the 27-year-old Odom would provide some added competition at edge rusher where the Packers could certainly use it—and the upside is that I do think he would have a legitimate chance of making the final roster with three spots up for grabs.

NEXT: 7 Former Packers Draft Picks Fighting for a Roster Spot
Whatever the reason may be, Odom has unlocked a new level to his game. For a Packers team with an open roster spot and a need at edge rusher—not to mention that signing Odom isn’t going to break the bank either, Green Bay should be willing to take a flyer on the USFL’s Defensive Player of the Year.

https://dairylandexpress.com/2022/06/23/usfls-chris-odom-intriguing-option-edge-rusher-packers/
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 12:30 AM
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 01:30 AM
"Rookie kicker Cade York made his first 17 attempts in field goal drills before missing the last try Friday. He was wide right from 58 yards."

Way to go kicker-dude! Miss a few now while they don't count!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:54 AM
These WR injuries are a concern because we are trying to get multiple qbs ready and now is the time to develop some chemistry between the two positions.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by FATE
"Rookie kicker Cade York made his first 17 attempts in field goal drills before missing the last try Friday. He was wide right from 58 yards."

Way to go kicker-dude! Miss a few now while they don't count!

And I don't really count misses from 58 yards as "real" misses. Those are maybe even past the coin flip miss range. I also heard Jimmy D reporting that the kick hit the upright, at the very top of the upright where the wind flag is attached. He said it looked to have the distance to be good from 65 yards.

I wanted him before the draft and said I would take him with one of our 4th rounders. At this point I have seen or heard nothing to disappoint. The cautionary note is training camp kicks don't mean anything unless the kicker is missing kicks right and left. For now it looks good, but it has to carry over to the season. The good thing is kicking is pretty straight forward. Either you are making kicks or you aren't. I have also read that he and a select few have been going down to the stadium on a regular basis to kick towards the Pound as part of the practice routine to experience wind conditions down on the lake.

I am not all that worried about game conditions. He kicked in the SEC which is one big stadium after another. Big crowds, some for some against. It's not like he hasn't kicked in front of 60,000 or more crazed fans before. No doubt the pucker up factor increases just as it increased from Friday night to Saturday night kicks. Now he has to do it on Sundays. I expect he will. Just do what you do.

Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 11:40 AM
He's got a great leg. When you're 55's are good from 65, you don't have to be quite as concerned withing "aiming" or what a decent wind may do to your trajectory.

Glad we drafted him... have to stick with him... probably through a few ups and downs.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 12:11 PM
The league should outlaw kicks over 59 yards. It's the spirit of the game /rules.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 01:39 PM
It's early days but Cade might be one of the most important draft picks we've made in years. Good lord - when did Phil Dawson retire and how many games have we lamented not finding his replacement? How many games have we lost due to missed kicks?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 01:45 PM
The league should outlaw kicks over 59 yards. It's the spirit of the game /rules.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 02:45 PM
Well at least our kicker problem seems to be fixed at this juncture
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 08:30 PM
j/c:

Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:02 PM
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:13 PM
That's not good.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:24 PM
Not the bell cow / approaching the end of a contract / lost season... we'll start seeing a bit more of this soon, imo.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:29 PM
I don't think so. I think the reports of the team having an upbeat attitude and the vibe being better are true. I'm sure the NFL's quest to punish Watson due to media/public pressure is a downer, but we still have a good team. I feel confident in DJ if we trade Hunt. I just like Hunt a lot as a back because he is so versatile and plays w/such passion. Not sure where he thinks he can get more money? RBs are not paid like some other positions.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:30 PM
D'ernest should have held out for more money.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:37 PM
Hush! LOL
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:47 PM
This is from today's practice. I'm just going to put up the link because there are a bunch of videos. Nice to see Bell coming back and better news on the WRs. Now is the time to develop some chemistry.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...actice-live-updates-from-aug-6-2022.html
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:50 PM
Yeah, this situation is all the media/publics fault. tsktsk
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 09:50 PM
Here's Bell. Very smooth receiver.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 10:15 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 10:20 PM
Hunt wants an extension or a trade.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ontract-not-participating-in-team-drills

They drafted Ford and have D'Ernest. Felton has been moved to the slot.

He wants to stay but he wants to be paid. Kareem is a hellava player. He is 27. We have qb questions. JB will start at minimum six games. Most likely 12 games or maybe the whole season. Hunt is a versatile player who can run and catch. We know what he is and what he can do.

His contract is $1,350,000 base $4.9 roster. He will be UFA next year.

It makes sense to trade him. Will they? I don't know. We could use him this year and let him walk. Trade him or, sign him.

Hunt could help a bunch of teams. How much would he help us this year? Is it worth signing him? Not when you have D'Ernest and Ford.

We shall see.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
Hunt wants an extension or a trade.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ontract-not-participating-in-team-drills

They drafted Ford and have D'Ernest. Felton has been moved to the slot.

He wants to stay but he wants to be paid. Kareem is a hellava player. He is 27. We have qb questions. JB will start at minimum six games. Most likely 12 games or maybe the whole season. Hunt is a versatile player who can run and catch. We know what he is and what he can do.

His contract is $1,350,000 base $4.9 roster. He will be UFA next year.

It makes sense to trade him. Will they? I don't know. We could use him this year and let him walk. Trade him or, sign him.

Hunt could help a bunch of teams. How much would he help us this year? Is it worth signing him? Not when you have D'Ernest and Ford.

We shall see.

For my money I would rather trade Hunt. I don't know what we could get, but am thinking a 4th. If a team loses a back, probably more. Being down a 1st, having extra picks is important. Either to just draft another player or package in some sort of trade up. Put the money in to DJ.

A guy to watch that might make trading Hunt or DJ more possible is John Kelly. The guy looked really good last year in camp. If he keeps playing like that, and I saw or heard a early report that he was, it might make a trade more possible.

We are really deep at running back. It makes no sense to cut somebody if we have the chance to trade another player. I suspect before camp is over that will indeed happen.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 11:13 PM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/06/22 11:15 PM
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Remember when you told me that you're not hanging around just to start crap even though you're not a Browns fan anymore, you said part of the reason was because of the friends you have here. I don't think I've seen you have a friendly interaction since you said that.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by jfanent

Remember when you told me that you're not hanging around just to start crap even though you're not a Browns fan anymore, you said part of the reason was because of the friends you have here. I don't think I've seen you have a friendly interaction since you said that.

Boom.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 09:36 AM
Hunt is probably gone now. Just gotta find a team to give us that mid round pick.

I hope D Johnson is able to fill in the pass game for Hunt
Posted By: myka Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 11:00 AM
Ugh. And the Cleveland Curse continues.
Did Hunt not see what happens with Le’Veon Bell and so many other RBs?
He’s coming off a down/injury year and gonna make $5M+ For being a 2nd string RB on a team that gave him a chance when nobody else would.

I just don’t get it. I’m not gonna tell a person what to do with his body, career or money but this just seems downright stupid unless I’m missing something.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 11:36 AM

I wonder if he has even made a football post since then? All I have seen are posts that trash Watson, trash the Browns, and trash Browns fans on this board. That's what trolls do.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 11:46 AM
Nice play by Newsome. Who is the receiver? Sloppy route.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 11:49 AM
Njoku is a physical freak.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 12:16 PM
A football discussion:

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 12:33 PM
Hope they are right about Delpit. I saw flashes, but I also saw some concerns. The Ed Reed and Shaun Taylor comparison is pretty crazy.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 01:15 PM
Last season was his rookie year for all practical purposes.

I think they were referencing Delpit comparisons to when he was in college. "If" that player comes to play this season then that changes things.

Phillips has been getting buzz. That is a good thing. Reports are he has remade his body. JOK diet. Phillips has looked faster and more reactive.

I have seen him make some good plays where you think mmm this guy can move. The issue has been health and playing time. You have to play to get better.
Phillips will be an important guy to watch in camp. He is quicker than Walker but to this point he doesn't know enough to stay on the field.

Their base is 4-2-5. If Phillips can play similar to JOK in space where he can be counted on in run support and coverage. That is huge because it allows you to play with three safety's or three corners. We have depth at both positions.

The defense has potential that kind of gets me juiced. I need something because I am not feeling great about this season.

Not just wins. This entire dark cloud. A really good defense can be exciting.

I still have concerns about the DL interior. But the rest of the defense can be special.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 02:32 PM
Delpit showed some good things last year, especially when he blitzed. Hopefully his work on the back end improves.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 04:05 PM

I said I won't be rooting against the Browns because I have many friends who are life long Browns fans. You, Lamp and Vers can get off of your tirade now. Just because your memory of what I posted sucks is no excuse for the Boys Club to act like thugs.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 04:07 PM
I wonder if he has even made a football post since then? All I have seen are posts that trash Watson, trash the Browns, and trash Browns fans on this board. That's what trolls do.

They make excuses for and downplay sexual predators. Acting like anyone that sticks up for their women victims are trolls. You sir fit the description.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 06:43 PM

A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH!
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 06:49 PM
Nice play by Newsome. Who is the receiver? Sloppy route.

#84 J. Bradley
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 06:50 PM
Thanks.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 08:25 PM
j/c...

What a legend.

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 08:43 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 09:43 PM
That's awesome!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 10:20 PM
I was at camp today. My quick hits:

It was HOT today. I sweated so bad just sitting there that I looked like I had peed myself when I stood up to leave.
Complimentary bottles of water for everyone was a lifesaver.
The brisket sandwich is the best deal going for $8.... good brisket w/ onion rings and slaw on it, with a bag of chips.

As for the football stuff:

Because of being in the east stands and where the various groups worked, I mostly saw the DLine, LBs, and DB's during positional drills. There wasn't much to take away from the LBs and DBs except that JOK looks noticeably smaller than the rest of the guys, but holy smokes is that dude a fast-twitch machine!
DLine: Perrion Winfrey looks like an absolute freak. He might be one of the few people that can stand next to Myles and look normal-sized. During a lateral movement drill, Myles went full-on Matrix and looked like Neo dodging bullets with the way he bent as he changed directions. Winfrey looked more like Lady Liberty, lol.... but his straight line attack was insanely impressive and he was one of the few guys that had a left-handed hand slap during the Weeble Wobble drills that didn't look soft. Logan, #63, also looked quick and strong with both his right and left hands in that drill.

Offense: was generally pretty underwhelming, but everyone was in shorts today, so there isn't much to take away. In most of the drills that I saw, the WRs did not do a good job of getting separation and generally looked very, very unremarkable today, even in 7-on-7's. I think we're going to be relying heavily on the run game early on this year.
Hunt took at least one ball in 11-on-11's.

Brissett does not throw a pretty ball, at all. The one TE that Dobbs connected with was surprisingly big and fast. I have no idea who he is, however.... but, he kinda stood out a bit by making that one catch look easy.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/07/22 10:24 PM
Good info. Thanks.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

It was HOT today. I sweated so bad just sitting there that I looked like I had peed myself when I stood up to leave.
The brisket sandwich is the best deal going for $8.... good brisket w/ onion rings and slaw on it, with a bag of chips.

Because of being in the east stands and where the various groups worked, I mostly saw the DLine, LBs, and DB's during positional drills. There wasn't much to take away from the LBs and DBs except that JOK looks noticeably smaller than the rest of the guys, but holy smokes is that dude a fast-twitch machine!
DLine: Perrion Winfrey looks like an absolute freak. He might be one of the few people that can stand next to Myles and look normal-sized. During a lateral movement drill, Myles went full-on Matrix and looked like Neo dodging bullets with the way he bent as he changed directions. Winfrey looked more like Lady Liberty, lol.... but his straight line attack was insanely impressive and he was one of the few guys that had a left-handed hand slap during the Weeble Wobble drills that didn't look soft. Logan, #63, also looked quick and strong with both his right and left hands in that drill.

Offense: was generally pretty underwhelming, but everyone was in shorts today, so there isn't much to take away. In most of the drills that I saw, the WRs did not do a good job of getting separation and generally looked very, very unremarkable today, even in 7-on-7's. I think we're going to be relying heavily on the run game early on this year.

Brissett does not throw a pretty ball, at all. The one TE that Dobbs connected with was surprisingly big and fast. I have no idea who he is, however.... but, he kinda stood out a bit by making that one catch look easy.

#81 TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden Florida Atlantic ... A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH! Keeps making plays .
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 01:34 AM
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 02:00 AM
I sweated so bad just sitting there that I "looked like I had peed myself" when I stood up to leave.

Are you sure you just looked like you pee'd yourself? ooo
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 02:43 AM
As far as you know, yes laugh
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 09:33 AM
Thanks Purp … love the camp observations

Good point about JOK … he is much smaller than other LBs. He’s such a unique player
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 10:58 AM

Good point about JOK … he is much smaller than other LBs. He’s such a unique player
Yeah, he is more like a saftey. Almost a hybrid LB.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

#81 TE Zaire Mitchell-Paden Florida Atlantic ... A DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH! Keeps making plays .

The college basketball player right?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 01:06 PM
Thanks for the football content.

So little on this Board hard to find anything about football.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by Damanshot

The college basketball player right?

Silva is our basketball-turned-TE prospect...easy to mix up as we have (3) hyphenated-name TEs on the roster today.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 01:15 PM

Yeah, he is more like a saftey. Almost a hybrid LB.
I remember seeing him for the first time when we played Baltimore and he jumped off the screen. He’s such a difference maker
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 03:17 PM
I went to.camp. The Browns front office has to be concerned about the WR group.
I dont see anything special about the group as a whole.
Schwartz continues to underwhelm which is no surprise
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
He dropped/missed more than he caught yesterday, and what he did catch was just ugly.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 03:58 PM
He dropped/missed more than he caught yesterday, and what he did catch was just ugly.
Jakeem Grant might move past him on the depth chart.
I saw nothing last year that made me go "Oh yeah, he is special"
He does not have strong hands.
Its bad enough he has the courage of a scarecrow.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 04:14 PM
#NOTAREALFOOTBALLPLAYER
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 04:24 PM
I'm not sure how often we're going to use Grant as a WR (except in 4WR sets), but it wouldn't surprise me if he did beat out Schwartz.

If Grant can bring some life to the punt return game (something we've sorely missed for awhile), it'd be great.

Grant reminds me a bit of Gerald McNeil.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 05:15 PM

Hopefully, he's just still thinking about his knee. Once he gets back into the swing of things, he may look better. We'll see.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

Hopefully, he's just still thinking about his knee. Once he gets back into the swing of things, he may look better. We'll see.

If his brain bone is connected to his knee bone when he needs to be using his hand bones -- we have a problem.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 06:33 PM

prp...thanks for the info...sounds like Schwartz might be having trouble 'focusing'.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 08:12 PM
The problem with Schwartz is that he’s clearly a track guy trying to play football. That’s a tough ask
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 08:14 PM
The problem with Schwartz is that he’s clearly a track guy trying to play football. That’s a tough ask

I think he is more than that, but no doubt he isn't looking good if last year is the basis point.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 08:16 PM

I think he is more than that, but no doubt he isn't looking good if last year is the basis point.
I do think he has a chance to have a role, but relying on him to be a standard WR probably isn’t going to happen
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 08:25 PM
Berry needs to.hit a HR at some point when drafting WRs. So far his bargain bin shopping
Hasnt worked out At that position. DPJ 6th RD pick has been marginally ok
Schwartz 3rd RD is overwhelmed and struggling.
Bell is wait and see.
But so far Berry simply will not draft a WR in the 1st 2 RDs..
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 08:26 PM
Well, I do think that with Stefanski’s offense there’s a big premium on having a good X receiver (we obviously think it’s Cooper) and then less emphasis on anything else.

However, I also think we need something more (or we need DPJ to really become consistent)
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 09:44 PM
It takes time to develop consistency. Baker was inconsistent that was his biggest problem.

DPJ last year was poised to have a good year. It did not happen. Now he is working with a number of qb's. And, we don't know who is going to play.

I am not expecting big numbers from any single receiver. Cooper will get his. After that I think the ball will get spread around. I believe the TE's and backs will get significant touches. DPJ will be in the mix but I don't think anything eye popping.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 09:56 PM
j/c:

DPJ was a 6th round pick. I can't see how the FO gets a negative mark for taking him at that point of the draft.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 11:14 PM
All things considered DPJ has been a good player. He works hard. He is ready to play when called on.

He has improved every year. Coming in the 6th round. He has done very well.

When DW plays for a full year IMO we will see much higher production from him.

I doubt he will ever be a real standout. But I do think he will become a solid number two and a guy worth keeping.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/08/22 11:49 PM
j/c:

DPJ was a 6th round pick. I can't see how the FO gets a negative mark for taking him at that point of the draft.

This.

For a 6th round pick, his production has been more than ok.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 01:54 AM
j/c:

Heres the thing Im trying to get across. When was the last time this franchise
Actually drafted a WR , got coached up, developed into a legit playmaker
That even got to a 2nd contract with the Browns?
Key word is DEVELOP.
In my observation of college football from the past 20 to 30 years, some schools
Simply produce future All Pros and Pro Bowlers at certain positions. And some colleges
Fail to cultivate All Pros at the next level.
Its no coincidence that Clemson , LSU, Bama are factories but big time WRs.
Iowa , Wisconsin churn out mauling olinemen.
Texas AM puts out DEs that are terrors off the edge.

But Andrew Berry for all solid drafting , has failed to find a impact
WR. And this is a position in the league that now a offense
Needs not 1, but 2 homerun hitters.
Yeah years ago if you had a gamebreaker at WR, you could get away
With average to above average behind him on the depth
Chart. But offenses still ran the ball a great deal.
But the offensive game has changed.its a passing league.
The Eagles got a HR with Devonta Smith. What did they do
On.Draft Day...? Trade for AJ Brown.
Even the Steelers have made some big time investments
At WR....
I.dont understand why some of you are all excited over
DPJ..Yeah he is ok. He will flash. But he comes from a school
That doesnt really produce NFL ready WRs and the Browns
Cant develop WRs.
Schwartz comes from a college that doesnt produce WRs either
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 05:24 AM
It's a lot easier to develop WRs when you have an above average QB and a system in place for more than a couple years. Hopefully, we'll have both of those for awhile going forward.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 12:37 PM
I don't think saying that DPJ wasn't a bad draft pick equates to being excited about him. I think some of us see some talent and he has a chance to be decent. That's not gushing. Also, we had two excellent WRs in OBJ and Landry and we wasted them due to poor QB play.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 01:14 PM
I don't think saying that DPJ wasn't a bad draft pick equates to being excited about him. I think some of us see some talent and he has a chance to be decent. That's not gushing. Also, we had two excellent WRs in OBJ and Landry and we wasted them due to poor QB play.
Kind sir are you worried about the WR room in general?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 01:29 PM
I'm concerned. I thought it was a mistake to not re-sign Landry. The WR and DT units appear to be the weakest on the team.

On the hand, this team isn't going anywhere w/out Watson. So, I can't say I am worried.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 02:10 PM
I'm concerned. I thought it was a mistake to not re-sign Landry. The WR and DT units appear to be the weakest on the team.

On the hand, this team isn't going anywhere w/out Watson. So, I can't say I am worried.
Im surprise Berry hasnt put a better effort in giving Watson
Legit weapons. The Browns had the cap space to bring
Another proven WR.
Would not be suprised if the Browns locked the tires
On some FA WRs in the next month like Beasly or John Ross.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 06:24 PM
And he isn't asking for a trade or holding-in. Just a motivated team player. I like the grit. He is not Schwartz.

Go, Browns!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 06:38 PM
j/c:
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 06:41 PM
Reports that Jakeem Grant was injured today at practice
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 06:43 PM
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 07:14 PM

For some reason, this bothers me a lot.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 07:17 PM
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 07:30 PM
I'd rather the throw had been from Brissett, though.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by AZBrown
Based on what I have read here and elsewhere - a throw from Brissett would not have been completed.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
Based on what I have read here and elsewhere - a throw from Brissett would not have been completed.
Maybe not even attempted lol
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 07:58 PM
j/c…

Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 08:00 PM
Damn.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 08:02 PM
j/c…

This sucks. Thought he could be a sneaky weapon for us.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
Maybe not even attempted lol

You are probably right.

But I'm a glass half full guy.

With the box stacked against the run for the foreseeable future, things like Brissett to Njoku for a 10yd gain, or Brissett to Cooper for a completion at the 20, or Brissett to DPJ for a TD are what we'll have to count on. Imo.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 08:05 PM
j/c…

That's too bad. From the reports I have watched/read, it seemed like he was having a very nice camp. A lot of catches out of the slot and working the middle of the field.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 08:20 PM
That terrible news!
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 08:21 PM
j/c…

This sucks. Thought he could be a sneaky weapon for us.

Agreed.

Gerald McNeil coming to mind.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 08:43 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 08:53 PM
That was a D-A-R-T!

Hoping Bell lives up to his reputation of catching anything and everything. That will give his QB great confidence in throwing that pass every time.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 09:12 PM
that sucks for Grant we may as well release him if it's his Achilles. He probably won't be the same for 2 years and won't be worth much when he is 32.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 09:31 PM
j/c...

Tear confirmed. Not good.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 09:36 PM
What a damn shame. My heart goes out to the guy.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 09:47 PM
What a damn shame. My heart goes out to the guy.

Me too. Also, it will hurt the team, bebause he is also our Pro Bowl returner.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 10:09 PM
j/c,

I look for #83 Travell Harris to try and fill our return duties now with this most unfortunate news.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/09/22 10:16 PM
Tough news for Jakeem and the team. You hate to see it
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 12:25 AM
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 12:27 AM
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 12:27 AM
I have really high hopes for Winfrey, Bell and Cade. I would have been happy to take Winfrey much earlier.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 12:30 AM
Winfrey has gotten some nice marks thus far. I do like his attitude too
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 01:23 AM
Losing Grant is a huge loss to the special teams.
This was a player who on 1-return could flip the field.
It really affects the offense cause this offense needs all the help
It can get as far field position goes.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 01:23 AM
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Yeah, they gave me one, but I had to let go quick. I had to realize there was 250 on the line. Yeah, that was cool.” Winfrey on his “sack” of Watson. Quarterbacks aren’t supposed to be hit, so coaches make a judgment call. The “250” sounded like a reference to Watson’s $230 million fully guaranteed contract.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 04:26 AM
Tough to see, but ....... ‘When I saw the name Grant in this thread I thought Delpit had an injury
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 09:07 AM
J/C

Our return game was very bad last year (did I read that we were dead last?) … I don’t love DPJ back there because he makes me nervous. And Felton doesn’t really have the speed, he’s more quick. I don’t think our returner is on the roster.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 11:37 AM
Tough break for Grant. Given his age, skill set, and usual recovery time, it could spell the end of his career. That type of injury really hurts a player who relies on speed and quickness as his calling card.

It hurts the team a lot. He pretty much was going to wear 3 hats for this team that have to be replaced since he was slated for kickoff and punt returns, plus receiver/gadget play options.

It will hurt the most on punt returns. First, you do return many punts unlike kickoff returns. Next, we don't really have a good returner for punts. We hve guys who muff too many punts or don't have the quick step to be able to avoid the first guy on coverage.

I would like to get Brittan Covey from the Eagles. That kid can return punts. Maybe he hits the waiver wire.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 12:25 PM
J/C

Our return game was very bad last year (did I read that we were dead last?) … I don’t love DPJ back there because he makes me nervous. And Felton doesn’t really have the speed, he’s more quick. I don’t think our returner is on the roster.

If we see DPJ back there returning - it is a fail. He's not the answer, he's not natural at returning and I think it would possibly impact his progress as a WR which we do not want. I think it's a good call that our returner isn't on the roster yet. Berry is has been alert to many other positions when the need arises - let's hope he has a trick or two up his sleeve for the return game/position.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 01:32 PM
j/c

When WR hopes are dashed because a 6-year, journeyman veteran WR with 100 career catches and 1,140 career receiving yards is out for the year...you know your FO is failing at that position group...again.

I know he's just a punt/kick returner even if he himself did not see that.

JoJo Natson is a free agent...essentially the same guy.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 01:34 PM
I agree we cant have him back ther
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 01:36 PM
"Get back, Jojo!"
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
j/c

When WR hopes are dashed because a 6-year, journeyman veteran WR with 100 career catches and 1,140 career receiving yards is out for the year...you know your FO is failing at that position group...again.

Yes, he is an option, but he is no where near the talent of Grant. Jojo has zero return TDs' (or receiving, or rushing) in his career.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 03:50 PM
j/c

Yes, he is an option, but he is no where near the talent of Grant. Jojo has zero return TDs' (or receiving, or rushing) in his career.

No question that Grant is a better returner...neither guy will/would make a difference in our WR room though.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 04:16 PM
This might sound crazy, but how about Travis Benjamin? I think he is a FA.

Consider the following:

He averaged 15.7 yards per return last year in SF, albeit on just 3 returns. His career average for PR is 11 yds and his KO return average is 24.2.

Probably not going to happen, but there aren't many guys available right now.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 05:25 PM
j/c

I don't know that hopes are dashed because of this injury.

In the end, Grant was just a "guy", at least in the receiver room. In the vid where he was hurt, he looked like a midget against whoever was covering, and they had him covered.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 05:38 PM
Tough break for Grant. Given his age, skill set, and usual recovery time, it could spell the end of his career.

We just have that kind of luck sadly.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Tough break for Grant. Given his age, skill set, and usual recovery time, it could spell the end of his career.

We just have that kind of luck sadly.

I have never been one to buy in to good luck and bad luck. Especially the bad.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 05:47 PM
While Cole Beasley isn't a great WR he certainly has been very good in terms of catches and moving the chains throughout his career with over 80 receptions in each of his past two seasons. I agree that none of us really know for sure if he would have been as good as Beasley in that department. However Beasly is just less than 5'8" and 175 pounds. So I don't think pointing out his lack of stature is pertinent.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 05:48 PM
I would guess it is now Felton’s job to lose. I wouldn’t mind seeing Harley get a chance.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 05:56 PM
While Cole Beasley isn't a great WR he certainly has been very good in terms of catches and moving the chains throughout his career with over 80 receptions in each of his past two seasons. I agree that none of us really know for sure if he would have been as good as Beasley in that department. However Beasly is just less than 5'8" and 175 pounds. So I don't think pointing out his lack of stature is pertinent.

But he wasn't Cole Beasley. My only point is his real value to the team was most likely as a punt returner. I don't include kickoffs because not all that many even get returned. I mentioned that he looked like a midget. If that isn't pertinent, cool.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 05:58 PM
I would guess it is now Felton’s job to lose. I wouldn’t mind seeing Harley get a chance.

Probably. He has shown some ability to catch the ball.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 06:04 PM
I don't know what his real value to the team would have ended up being. You may be right in that department. I don't believe he had an opportunity for us to know that one way or the other. I only pointed out a prime example of why measurables may not have ended up being a factor.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 06:29 PM
My comment wasn't intended to comment on height as a measurable. It was more an observation as I have never really watched the guy play in the NFL other than maybe if I saw him while watching some sports center clip where he returned a kick and I can't say I am certain of that.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 06:32 PM

Yep.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 06:40 PM
Browns owner says team will "respect and honor process"
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 09:48 PM
Don't ya just want to see the Browns win.
25 years and they just can't seem to be able to I don't know... field a Team.
So much to expect.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 09:53 PM
j/c. I can't wait for this whole thing to be resolved, in whatever fashion.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 10:16 PM

Are you attempting to derail another thread?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
j/c. I can't wait for this whole thing to be resolved, in whatever fashion.

I'm just ready for the season to start.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 11:04 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/10/22 11:38 PM
That’s interesting
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/11/22 11:14 AM
Training Camp Observations: Day 11

The Browns completed their final practice of training camp before they head to Jacksonville
Aug 09, 2022 at 06:40 PM
Employee Headshots on June 24, 2021
Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

090622_Observations
Next stop: Jacksonville.

The Browns completed their final practice Tuesday before they travel Wednesday to play their first preseason game against the Jaguars. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. on Friday at TIAA Bank Stadium, and the team will complete a light walk-through Wednesday before they leave for Florida, where they'll spend Thursday doing a few team-bonding activities.

"I know that it's game week and we have a game on Friday night, but we will treat today as truly a training camp day," head coach Kevin Stefanski said. "Tomorrow we will spend some more time on Jacksonville. We will practice a little bit earlier. Tomorrow afternoon, get on the airplane and get down to Jacksonville tomorrow night. Looking forward to a really good day today."

Here's what else happened on Day 11 in Berea.

Photos: Training Camp Day 11
Check out photos of players and coaches working throughout camp

– Stefanski didn't have any updates on which players will be available for the first preseason game. He did say, however, that the plan will be similar to how the Browns operated last season, when most of the team's starters did not play in Week 1 or Week 2.

He highlighted the joint practices next week against the Eagles as a prime opportunity to see what the starters can do against players on a different team.

"I think it will be similar, but I think you have to make decisions based on your team, and every year, things are different," he said. "I think the one thing of note is we have Philly coming in (Preseason) Week 2 to practice versus them. I do think that is a great opportunity to get two really good days of work in a controlled setting where you do not have to play your starters as much in that (Preseason) Week 2, per se. I do think (Preseason) Week 3 we still treat it as a dress rehearsal so to speak."

– Practice started on an upsetting note for the Browns — WR Jakeem Grant suffered an Achilles injury and was carted off the field after he went down during one-on-one drills.

Grant, a seventh-year veteran, was an All-Pro returner last season and expected to provide a spark to the Browns' return game. He was also off to a great start in camp and made several plays that highlighted his speed and playmaking ability in open space.

"I really feel awful for Jakeem," Stefanski said. "We've witnessed how hard the young man has worked since he got to our team. We all realize injuries are a part of our game but that doesn't make it any easier to accept especially for someone that works as hard and carries himself like Jakeem."

– The two biggest catches of the day were completed to WR Javon Wims and TE David Njoku. Njoku caught a perfectly-placed deep ball from QB Deshaun Watson during the one-on-one period, while Wims caught a deep ball near the sideline from Jacoby Brissett during the first round of 11-on-11 drills. Both catches were among the best all receivers have made so far in camp.

– After a bit of a rough start to practice, WR Anthony Schwartz got back on track with an impressive toe-tap catch near the sideline during 11-on-11s. He also looked sharp in 7-on-7 red zone drills and caught two touchdowns.

– WRs Mike Harley Jr. and David Bell also caught touchdowns during the red zone period. Harley, an undrafted rookie from Miami, caught two of them near the right pylon and has been one receiver on the backend of the depth chart who has impressed throughout camp. Bell, a rookie third-round selection, had his highest involvement in team drills since he was activated Saturday from the active/PUP list.

– Stefanski said he did not make a decision yet on whether Bell and Schwartz, who also returned to practice Saturday after missing time with a knee injury, would be available for the first preseason game.

– The Browns will have their next full practice day Sunday after they return from Jacksonville. It'll be the first of three straight practice days that are also the last practices open for fans. They'll be off Aug. 17 before welcoming the Eagles to CrossCountry Mortgage Campus on Aug. 18 and 19. The second preseason game is Aug. 21 at 1 p.m. against Philadelphia at FirstEnergy Stadium.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/training-camp-observations-day-11
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/11/22 11:14 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/11/22 11:17 AM
Njoku seems to be making a lot of plays.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Training Camp: 2022 - 08/11/22 03:33 PM

Are you attempting to derail another thread?

No. I actually made a mistake and posted it in the wrong thread.
© DawgTalkers.net