DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Versatile Dog Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 02:32 PM
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 02:38 PM
This should have been done before the season.. Need his type of attitude on the defense, the guys we currently have are soft. Add in Richardson and we should be good to go.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 02:42 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 02:52 PM
Confounding.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

All these recent news drops re: Suh over the entire summer to point out the fact the Browns are REALLY not interested. And it may not even be about skill/talent even thought it has declined. He may just be asking for too much.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I would say it's a good thing. Let's face it, there is a segment of this fan base that has been trashing the team and wants to pile on. It's important that the guys remain united during turbulent times. I've been on teams that had to deal w/outside adversity. Some unite and some fracture. They probably also addressed what to say--and not say--to the media and even on social media. A lot has been made of what Myles said about the booing. However, we had another player here who did the same thing and his wife was also involved and the fan and media reaction was completely different. If I was a player on this particular team, I would drive that point home hard! It's a cause that can help further unite the team and the mantra they have had all summer of "it's us against the world!"
We have players throwing each other under the bus in the media, taking no accountability for their play, they look like the bad news bears in the 4th quarter... and you think someone should stand up, in a players only meeting, and blame it all on Emily Mayfield? That will help "unite" them??

[Linked Image from media3.giphy.com]
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 05:09 PM
At least Bitonio gets it.........

How Myles can call the fans booing "the most disturbing thing" after the D gave up 13 points with less than two minutes left in the game I find astounding. But people often times say dumb things in the heat of the moment. How people have double standards depending on who the player is, is what's so obvious and inexcusable.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 05:51 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 05:53 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 05:55 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 05:56 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 06:26 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 07:15 PM

It's not about Myles talent. I don't think anybody wants him off the team. For me, I just don't want him to be a punk and whine if the fans boo a performance that was very worthy of booing.

As Browns fans we have dealt with a lot over the last 20 years but I'll be damned if I will sit back and watch our players and coaches look inept. In my book, leaving receivers uncovered by 25 yards is pretty fudging inept.

Just the way it is for me. Sorry, I refuse.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 07:30 PM
Okay, but why did you not feel the same way when Baker criticized the fans?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 07:48 PM

I did. That is when I stopped supporting the guy.

And this is somewhat different. Maker Babyfield was complaining about things people were saying about him. Myles is moaning about the team booing the D and team. I don't think many if any were booing Myles directly, but he is a defensive member of the team.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 07:49 PM

Why did you feel that way when Baker did that but not Myles?

I chalk both of them off as being the same. Sometimes people say stupid things in the heat of the moment. Of all people you questioning people having a double standard about this is either sad or hilarious depending on one's point of view. Hell, maybe both.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 08:08 PM

Baker got traded. I think you know that.

Why do YOU bring him up all the time?
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Why did you feel that way when Baker did that but not Myles?

I chalk both of them off as being the same. Sometimes people say stupid things in the heat of the moment. Of all people you questioning people having a double standard about this is either sad or hilarious depending on one's point of view. Hell, maybe both.

This isn't even worthy of the discussion. Those who outwardly showed disgust and wanted Mayfield gone are now making excuses for Garrett. When they start the dump Garrett thread, I might buy into their so-called fandom. Until then, it's just more hypocrisy from the same people just like always.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by archbolddawg

Baker got traded. I think you know that.

Why do YOU bring him up all the time?

#footballtalk
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 08:24 PM
It's none of that, so lets keep it real. I think it is board personalities bickering with posters who they always bicker with.

JMO
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

And this is somewhat different. Maker Babyfield was complaining about things people were saying about him. Myles is moaning about the team booing the D and team. I don't think many if any were booing Myles directly, but he is a defensive member of the team.

I'm sorry, I did not know that. I wasn't on the board last year so I didn't comment on it one way or the other. However, I read the board occasionally and all I saw were people defending Baker or acting like it wasn't a big deal. All of a sudden, people are going off on Myles when what he said was far less noteworthy. And I see the Fabulous Baker Boys all made posts right after mine. I bet they were talking football and not about me....LOL. The dude isn't even on the team anymore and they are still fighting for him. Bunch of freaking hypocrites.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 11:13 PM
The guy isn't on the team anymore and you are STILL dumping on him. GRow up.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 11:26 PM
This is a little surprising.

Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 11:31 PM

We definitely have talent on that side of the ball. Who would have thought that 2 of our lb's would be on that list?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 11:36 PM
Yeah, I'm really surprised that Walker is grading out so high.

Gotta get the secondary fixed. That was supposed to be our strength on D.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 11:42 PM
I wasn't able to watch the game Sunday. I just saw the jets last drive.
Looks like we were dropping our coverage really deep leaving receivers WIDE WIDE open underneath.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/21/22 11:45 PM
Man, there has been so many things wrong w/our coverages this year. We weren't this bad last year at it. Not even close. Confounding.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 12:00 AM

I'm sorry, I did not know that. I wasn't on the board last year so I didn't comment on it one way or the other. However, I read the board occasionally and all I saw were people defending Baker or acting like it wasn't a big deal. All of a sudden, people are going off on Myles when what he said was far less noteworthy. And I see the Fabulous Baker Boys all made posts right after mine. I bet they were talking football and not about me....LOL. The dude isn't even on the team anymore and they are still fighting for him. Bunch of freaking hypocrites.

Nobody is "fighting for Baker", you're living in a world of make believe (as usual). You bring him up in every thread and then poop your pants if anyone responds.

Haven't seen anyone "going off" on Myles... more fantasy.

Baker was asked about the fans booing after a victory... "Those are probably the same fans that won't be quiet when we're on offense trying to operate, so, I don't really care." I'm sure you were crying all over your keyboard when anyone pegged it for the non-story it was rather than calling for his head. I know you were hiding in your basement at the time, but you want to whine about it now??

We have a defense crapping the bed every week.
Arguing about assignments in the media.
Ward forgetting how to play football and using the "green dot" as a scapegoat.
Myles Garret sounding weak when his thoughts on losing are “I mean the more disappointing thing was the booing at the end.”
A coaching staff that preached "ignoring the outside noise" watching these spoiled brats create all the noise.
A big heaping pile of talent with no accountability... getting all up in their feelings if anyone raises a question.

And you're worried about Baker freaking Mayfield.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 12:36 AM
Could not have said it better myself. Kudos
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 03:11 AM
Amen.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 04:08 PM
This talk about Sunday is ugly - as it should be......

Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 04:42 PM
Miller Forristall TE-CLE
Thu, Sep 22 at 12:35pm
Forristall was elevated to Cleveland's active roster Thursday.

Analysis: Forristall was elevated from the practice squad ahead of Thursday's game against the Steelers. He'll provide depth at tight end behind David Njoku and Harrison Bryant, taking the spot of Jesse James (biceps). The Browns can elevate Forristall for one more game after this but would have to sign him to the active roster to dress him for a third time.

by Rotowire.com
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 04:46 PM
Some of us liked this guy during the preseason.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 05:30 PM
Chester Rogers time tonight
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Chester Rogers time tonight
Might as well be...Schwartz and DPJ have done nothing so far
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 07:24 PM
jc

just wanted to say i love the elf logo on the field. its unique, so different than anything else in the league, and really is a nice homage to the early era of the football team. think it's gonna look glorious tonight on TNF.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 07:36 PM
***Good luck to all Browns Vitamix enthusiasts***

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Swish
jc

just wanted to say i love the elf logo on the field. its unique, so different than anything else in the league, and really is a nice homage to the early era of the football team. think it's gonna look glorious tonight on TNF.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/22/22 11:27 PM
Browns Inactive for Week 3:

QB Mond
WR Woods II
RB Felton
S LeCounte III
T Haeg
T Hubbard
DE Clowney
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 01:52 AM
Michaeal Woods II has been unavailable the first couple weeks, largely.

Why did/ How did the Browns give up I4 points to the steilers in the first half of the home game?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 03:37 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 03:38 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 03:40 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 04:05 PM
Njoku is a piece that can make our offense be another level. His ability to block really makes him versatile … and if you watch the game last night and see how far he’s come as a receiver, it’s crazy
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 04:49 PM
Njoku is a piece that can make our offense be another level. His ability to block really makes him versatile … and if you watch the game last night and see how far he’s come as a receiver, it’s crazy

Earning his payday.

He will be essential for Brissett starting with the Chargers stretch.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 05:01 PM
j/c:

A pretty big blow.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 05:05 PM
Any update on JOK?
Man we can’t lose both.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 05:13 PM
Sux to lose Jolly to the Rams, but CB Thomas Graham is also a candidate to play inside.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 05:16 PM
Thats not good news to hear, we will miss AWs' experience and leadership.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 05:44 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 05:46 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:01 PM
Good news: JOK injury not thought to be serious
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:07 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:07 PM
Good news: JOK injury not thought to be serious

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:13 PM
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:15 PM
Nick Chubb is also averaging 113 yards per game.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Chubb is on pace for 1932 on the season. And it doesn't look, by any means, like we're taxing him.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by FATE

Chubb is on pace for 1932 on the season. And it doesn't look, by any means, like we're taxing him.

339 yards from 4th place all time (Greg Pruitt) Browns RBs' ... in his 5th year no less ... entering into HOF territory at this pace.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:39 PM
Chubb is definitely HOF worthy with his talent, work ethic, and attitude. I hope he gets it
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:48 PM

Defense must be graded differently because how the heck is 2 tackles from Myles Garrett rated higher than Chubbs performance???
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 06:49 PM
Coop must absolutely love this offense. the defense has no choice but play man against him more often than they want to, because Chubb and Hunt is the #1 priority going into every game. man the way he runs routes is so damn smooth. he makes sideline/tip toe catches look routine. he's already put multiple DBs in salsa classes having them spun around during the route. i think having Njoku being a clear #2 target for Jacoby is working out great. i want to see more of the other WRs step up, but honestly DPJ is making some very clutch catches when we need them the most. and hell, maybe we don't need to worry about the other WRs because Bell is getting some looks, and our offense is run first anyway.

this is the kind of production we was hoping to get from OBJ, but Cooper is just perfect for this style of offense.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 07:02 PM
j/c...

Ward needs to step it up. In week 2 he was the lowest graded defensive player per PFF in the entire NFL and kicks off week 3 with a team worst 27.5 grade. His overall coverage grade is 32.0 and he's ranked as the 91st out of 91 corners in the league.

Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 07:11 PM

339 yards from 4th place all time (Greg Pruitt) Browns RBs' ... in his 5th year no less ... entering into HOF territory at this pace.

We're already close to 1a and 1b with Jim Brown and Nick Chubb by simply forecasting a decent future for the young pup. He's setting some incredible efficiency benchmarks in this league so there's no reason to believe the production won't continue.

In fact, he's getting better. His anticipation has improved. My favorite new "tool" is his anticipatory-b*tch-slap. People are so worried about his devastating stiff-arm that they don't see it until it smacks their sorry ass out of the play. He did it to Minkah last night. In fairness to Minkah, Chuck Norris wouldn't have had much luck.

The NFL world was sold a bill of goods before that draft. Nick Chubb was a one-cut runner without a top gear coming off a knee injury. There were 7 backs taken in the first two rounds. Identifying him in the middle of that pack was one of the best draft decisions the Browns have ever made.

Dawgs4Life... "talent, work ethic, and attitude" makes it something really special to watch.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 07:12 PM
But don't you miss the production of Schwartz and Felton? Felt better when Coop got untracked.

Go, Browns!
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 07:16 PM
man ugh. i already like the new guy returning punts over felton, as well.

but those two on offense...this is why i wonder if we can pull a midseason trade on a WR, because if coop misses any sort of time, i dunno if the other guys can step up.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 07:22 PM

Lowest rated player and highest paid player.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 07:57 PM
j/c...

Ward needs to step it up. In week 2 he was the lowest graded defensive player per PFF in the entire NFL and kicks off week 3 with a team worst 27.5 grade. His overall coverage grade is 32.0 and he's ranked as the 91st out of 91 corners in the league.

It's very disappointing ... in fact our whole secondary that was supposed to be our strength has been our biggest disappointment thus far imo.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 08:05 PM
Ward … not good wow
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/23/22 08:42 PM

Gregg Pruitt, my favorite player as a kid watching games. Sorry..... I just had to say that even though it has nothing to do with anything now.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 02:35 AM
Coop must absolutely love this offense. the defense has no choice but play man against him more often than they want to, because Chubb and Hunt is the #1 priority going into every game. man the way he runs routes is so damn smooth. he makes sideline/tip toe catches look routine. he's already put multiple DBs in salsa classes having them spun around during the route. i think having Njoku being a clear #2 target for Jacoby is working out great. i want to see more of the other WRs step up, but honestly DPJ is making some very clutch catches when we need them the most. and hell, maybe we don't need to worry about the other WRs because Bell is getting some looks, and our offense is run first anyway.

this is the kind of production we was hoping to get from OBJ, but Cooper is just perfect for this style of offense.

Man, Higgins would have been good to have third behind DPJ and COOP. He's way better than Shwartz at this point. TE Carlson is too.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 09:37 AM
Man, Higgins would have been good to have third behind DPJ and COOP. He's way better than Shwartz at this point. TE Carlson is too.

I liked Carson as well. As for Higgy, he could catch, but there was something wrong with that guy. He got in to every coach's dog house for one reason or another. I couldn't say what the reasons were, but they were always lurking under the surface. It's probably best we moved on from him, but I understand your point.

I was hopeful that Bell could be that "hands" replacement. It's still early but to me it is looking like his speed deficiency might be a problem. For a guy who got rave reviews about his crisp route running and A+ hands, he sure isn't getting anything thrown his way or even getting on the field very much. For a team who isn't very strong at the receiver position, Bell's lack of reps is a bit of a red flag.

Again, it's still early, but a concern none the less.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 10:57 AM
Question. Who is going to replace Anthony Walker?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 11:24 AM
Phillips
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 12:45 PM
I thought the defense played better with takitaki and Phillips. Something tells me these guys should be getting more playing time than they were. As is often the case with guys like Walker they get the nod because of intangible reasons, not necessarily because they are better players.

As for JOK I'm disappointed his name hasn't been called more in terms of making big plays. I still have high hopes for him, but being injured two years in a row is also not good.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 02:16 PM
JOK is such a hybrid type player that I fear injuries are always going to be an issue. It seems like we are using him in coverage way more this year so far.
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 02:26 PM
JOK is such a hybrid type player that I fear injuries are always going to be an issue. It seems like we are using him in coverage way more this year so far.

I would love to see JOK be put man to man on Andrews all game when we play the Ravens
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 05:11 PM
That is what he was drafted for.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/24/22 06:36 PM
If we threw the recordz out, and there waz a 3 game zeazon coming up, and this next game waz the opener.
At the Falconz
LA Charger at home,
and then New England at home.

What would the Brownz record be, what would be expected. 0-3, I-2 2-I or 3-0

$ince the Brownz can loze every opener, I have to think the Brownz can loze thi next game againt the Falconz.

0-0 Falcon Charger Patriot.

The Brown are a mizzed Field goal, and Pittpurgh from having a decent/ even average offene from being 0-3.

$o might az well hit rezet on the whole year.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/25/22 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
If we threw the recordz out, and there waz a 3 game zeazon coming up, and this next game waz the opener.
At the Falconz
LA Charger at home,
and then New England at home.

What would the Brownz record be, what would be expected. 0-3, I-2 2-I or 3-0

$ince the Brownz can loze every opener, I have to think the Brownz can loze thi next game againt the Falconz.

0-0 Falcon Charger Patriot.

The Brown are a mizzed Field goal, and Pittpurgh from having a decent/ even average offene from being 0-3.

$o might az well hit rezet on the whole year.

And we are an onside kick away from being 3-0, what's your point, other than to be negative. Ask the Bengals if they wis they had beaten Pitt.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/25/22 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

Gregg Pruitt, my favorite player as a kid watching games. Sorry..... I just had to say that even though it has nothing to do with anything now.

Ah the good ol days, when I was a young man. Remember FB Mike Pruitt (no realation) back when FBs' did more then block lol...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/25/22 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
That is what he was drafted for.
This is pretty true … he was drafted to defend Lamar and the Ravens. His skill set is the best I’ve seen to spy Lamar
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I thought the defense played better with takitaki and Phillips. Something tells me these guys should be getting more playing time than they were. As is often the case with guys like Walker they get the nod because of intangible reasons, not necessarily because they are better players.

I agree. I do no get the love for Walker - other than he seems like a great guy. I thought Malcomb Smith was better than him last year. We seem to get hung up way too much on the 'cerebral' veteran who will get us lined up properly. (Which we STILL struggle with anyway.) Well...this isn't pee wee football with a coach in the backfield helping the children figure out what is going on. I'd rather have a young athletic guy blow it - while learning - than a veteran who 'knows' where to be, but can't get the job done anymore - which sounds exactly like a coach. From DQ, to Shobert, to Kirksey to Rainier, to Walker...we have countless MLB-types who knew where to be...but just can't do it.

As for JOK I'm disappointed his name hasn't been called more in terms of making big plays. I still have high hopes for him, but being injured two years in a row is also not good.

I'm with you there...if our DTs were legit bruisers I think he'd really excel.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 01:15 PM
I think Taki Taki is another example of an improved/developed player from year 1. He’s not a liability on the field and actually might be our most trusted dude now
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 02:41 PM

And the Steelers targeted all 3. Walker out for the year did you all see the OL jumping on Walker after the play and he was holding his leg in pain of course no flag. Disgusting

Peen why are you dissing Garrett.. Did you know he hurt his neck and was not suppose to play but he chose to play hurt and he gets booed for his lackluster play He just could not turn on the juice and take over the game. He thought his presence would create some double teams and let somebody else take the opportunity. I thing IGNORANCE is no excuse to rag on a player who is playing injured. I think you all should get off your high horse, yes we know you pay for season tickets that does not give you the right to DISS MY PLAYERS. He chose to expose himself to more injury and the thanks he gets is BOOs. Sure he is PO'd wouldn't you be - Did you not know he hurt his Neck in the 1st or 2nd quarter of the Jets game?

Sorry for getting on you but I cannot believe you are acting that way. You are a good person it does not do you justice.

jmho
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 03:30 PM
Watching the Steelers game.

You can see the game plan on Myles. Every play.

That is the case in every game. No matter what offensive coordinators have to scheme for Myles.

It is done numerous ways. Roll the qb away from him. 3 step drops ball out. Double teams using different guys. Chips with backs and TE's.

There is a plan on every play.

The booing was for the defense. All of them. From HC to OC and ST they and the players they blew a game. They earned the booing and the fans have right to boo them after that game. IMO
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 05:46 PM
Wow! 73% on 3rd downs and 78% on 4th down.

Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 06:16 PM
Yea, i don't remember if it was the 3rd or 4th quarter of the Steelers games they brought up the 3rd down rate. We ended up 6-16. The first time they brought it up I was really surprised.

The Steelers were 1 for 9 on 3rd downs for the whole game.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 06:33 PM
Wow! 73% on 3rd downs and 78% on 4th down.

I've been seeing those stats and cringing a little... wondering if the offense will seem much more mundane when it "returns to mean"

Probably just BBS, hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised to see this continue.

If you look at the actual length of each bar... it's actually revealing total amount of plays run on offense in series that result in 1st downs. In other words, which teams are keeping your defense on the field. The Browns are doing that by grinding it out in a physical manner as well... Half of our 1st downs come off the run when the rest of the league is mostly 2-1 / pass - run.

We have been uber efficient (new analytical term I just created).

This has come from:

Not making stupid mistakes.
Efficiency at QB.
"Your worst nightmare" at running back.
EXCELLENT PLAY-CALLING and much better adjustments than we've seen in the past from Stefanski.
Playing above the mean against mediocre talent.

FOUR of those things are always within our control... So "I'm telling you there's a chance".

Note the bottom... Carolina's Baker Mayfield definitely having a tough go of it. Wow.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 09:02 PM
j/c...

Hope everyone is ok.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 09:10 PM

Holy smokes. Lucky to just walk away from that looking at the car.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports.../95-c3d9767a-d4c8-44e2-87a4-97a7702d81ae
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 09:14 PM
Thanks for the updates.

I'm thankful everyone is going to be okay.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 09:16 PM
Damn, bad news glad he’s okay
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 09:18 PM

[Linked Image from media.wkyc.com]

Damn. Don't know how he fits in that thing when it isn't crunched. Thank God everyone is okay. Dude is going to be beat up.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 09:25 PM

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 09:26 PM
He’s going to be out for a while IMO. I really hope he wasn’t being reckless.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 09:49 PM

He had minor injuries but could miss Sundays game ...
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 10:09 PM
Trailing throttle oversteer in a Porsche will bite you every time.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 10:25 PM

It's pretty obvious he was being reckless being no one else was involved.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 10:31 PM
Well, it was extremely wet and slick today so that could be the main culprit, especially the location being so hilly.

It sounds like it’s between minor and very serious injuries based on the fact they called his family to the hospital.

Hoping for the best
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/26/22 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Trailing throttle oversteer in a Porsche will bite you every time.

facts. It doesn't look like he was going through a corner though.

he should be driving a BMW 750LI not a tiny little zoom zoom car.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 12:31 AM
Exotic sportscar, single car accident, wet roads...sounds like going way too fast to me.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 12:36 AM
Just glad Myles and his lady friend weren't seriously injured. So it's possible we'll play Sunday with our entire D line injured or out? Aren't we already down to backup DTs?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 01:58 AM
j/c...

From Myles Garrett's agent...

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 02:42 AM
it sounds like he might have some deep cuts or something... strange that they are keeping it so vague.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
it sounds like he might have some deep cuts or something... strange that they are keeping it so vague.
Not strange at all. I'm sure there will be a report once his overall health is evaluated and the team is in agreement with Garrett as far as what to release. Truth be told, it's really none of our business.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 04:41 AM
First get well Myles.
Get well passenger.
What's up with that road?
A car that price should come with a roll bar.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 09:12 AM
The good news is they were talking about him being released soon. He must have some severe cuts or stitches.

I hope the female is okay
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 09:58 AM
I'm glad that Myles and his passenger walked away...as some might know, after an accident the real pain doesn't set in right away, so I hope we get good news with updates.

Thoughts and prayers...

Posted By: Cleats Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 10:19 AM

It's pretty obvious he was being reckless being no one else was involved.

I'm not ruling out he was going to fast for the conditions and I'm not familiar with the area but here in Pa. I wouldn't rule out a deer encounter.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 11:37 AM
He was in the act of avoiding a animal probably trying to cross
The road..squirrel, bunny , or raccoon.
Myles being a animal lover not surprised he did everything he
Could to go around it.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 12:53 PM
Maybe a Raven or a small Bengal!!!!!
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 12:53 PM
Pelisserio reported this morning he was trying to avoid an animal.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Maybe a Raven or a small Bengal!!!!!

NA he would have just run them over.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 01:00 PM
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 01:04 PM
Main thing is he and his friend are okay thank God.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 01:12 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 01:14 PM
Chubb’s certainly having himself a nice year so far
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 01:18 PM
In some other NFL news that affects the Browns, Slater for LAC is likely out for the year and Bosa is out for several weeks. Also, Herbert is suffering from one of the most painful injuries you can have. Also, Mac Jones is likely going to miss multiple games for New England.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 01:20 PM
I would rather Jones play than Hoyer
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 01:51 PM
You certainly provide some unique takes.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 03:15 PM
POWER RANKINGS:

11. Cleveland Browns (2-1)

Week 3 ranking: 17

Team QBR: 62.6
QBR rank: 8th

Through three games, Jacoby Brissett is probably the biggest surprise on the Browns, and maybe one of the biggest surprise performers in the NFL. He ranks ninth in QBR (62.6), ahead of Justin Herbert, Matthew Stafford and Aaron Rodgers, among others. He has completed 66.3% of his passes and thrown four touchdowns with only one interception. The running game has been prolific, but Cleveland ranks fifth in offensive efficiency because of its quarterback as well. If Brissett can maintain this level of play, the Browns should be firmly in the playoff mix once Deshaun Watson returns from suspension in Week 13. -- Jake Trotter
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 04:58 PM
LOL...I'm assuming that wasn't a compliment.

I just don't think Jones is very good.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 05:02 PM
It was a friendly jab. LOL

I am not positive about this, but I believe Hoyer has lost his last 9 starts.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 08:14 PM
Kevin Stefanski not ruling Jadeveon Clowney out for Browns vs. Falcons: Quick hits
Updated: Sep. 26, 2022, 2:57 p.m.|Published: Sep. 26, 2022, 2:30 p.m.

By Dan Labbe, cleveland.com

BEREA, Ohio -- Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski wouldn’t rule out defensive end Jadeveon Clowney for Sunday’s road game in Atlanta. Clowney missed Thursday night’s win over the Steelers with an ankle injury suffered in the Browns’ Week 2 loss to the Jets.

He also didn’t offer much on linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (groin) or defensive tackle Taven Bryan (hamstring), both injured during Thursday night’s win.

“I have to get to Wednesday to see where everybody is,” Stefanski said.

Clowney was not out at practice on Monday but did walk through the locker room when it was open to media later.

Safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. was on the practice field after a hamstring injury suffered pregame kept him out of Thursday’s game, while left guard Joel Bitonio was on the side during Monday’s bonus practice nursing a biceps injury. He played through the injury Thursday and will likely do the same again this week.

Third-year linebacker Jacob Phillips will take over the MIKE duties from Anthony Walker Jr., whose season ended due to a torn quad tendon against the Steelers.

“Jacob is a very competitive young man. Played well in the last ball game. We are going to need him to continue to ascend, get better and those type of things,” Stefanski said. “He is definitely somebody who is excited about the opportunity.”

Sports betting comes to Ohio on Jan. 1, 2023: Your questions answered
Not so special

Last week was difficult for the Browns’ special teams. Kicker Cade York missed extra points against the Jets and Steelers. The Browns fell victim to a fake punt against the Jets and had a punt deflected by the Steelers. The Jets recovered an onside kick and the Steelers came dangerously close. Meanwhile, the return game has fallen flat.

“We need to get better in a bunch of different areas on our football team,” Stefanski said. “There are certainly things that we feel like we can clean up. That is part of what today was, really. We had a couple of special teams periods out there working on some things. A lot of it always goes back to technique and fundamentals.”

The Browns already made a change last week, keeping Demetric Felton Jr. inactive and using Chester Rogers as punt returner. Felton had been handling punts while rookie Jerome Ford handled kickoff return.

“Wanted to give Chester an opportunity as the punt returner there,” Stefanski said. “That was for that week. We will see if that is the direction we go this week. Demetric is a good football player. He is going to make a bunch of plays for us this season.”

Jack Conklin looked good Thursday night

Thursday night marked the return of right tackle Jack Conklin, who played for the first time since Nov. 28 last season.

“I thought he played well. It looked like the old Jack to me,” Stefanski said. “He was playing very physical. He has looked good in practice. I mentioned to you guys, he is stronger than I think he has ever been. He worked so hard this whole offseason. Good to see him out there.”

Conklin was held out of the first two games of the season, a game-time decision both weeks.

“I appreciate the team letting me get my health back to where I can come out tonight at full strength,” he said after Thursday’s game. “I felt great and comfortable out there. Could not be happier with how the team played. Great team win.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...ut-for-browns-vs-falcons-quick-hits.html
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 09:58 PM
Conklin's name has not drawn much attention.

He is a very good player when healthy. I have seen him handle Watt. He is excellent in the run. A hard nose physical player.

He has not been able to stay healthy and that has been a problem. I sure hope he can play this season at a high level. It is important.

Pocic, Teller and Biltonio have played well together. Wills can look good on one play and bad on the next. Overall the OL line is asset.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 10:15 PM
j/c...

Glad it is nothing worse. I'll be surprised if he plays this Sunday.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 10:24 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/27/22 11:26 PM
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 12:13 AM
Love it Myles. We need you. Go out there and wreak havoc.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 12:31 AM
Still trying to figure out how he fit in that Porsche.

Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 03:25 AM
Scary pictures!

I’m just glad he was healthy enough to stand up even if he wobbled at the end of the video.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 05:30 AM
j/c:

First, and foremost: I'm thankful that both passengers will be OK. Seatbelts/airbags/crumple zone technology saves lives.
Big fan of science/innovation/progress in my daily life.

Next:
1. I've been in a 2x bus rollover.
2. I was the driver of an airborne 35 MPH sports car 4-wheel splat-plant in a farmer's field (got the scarred lower lip and implant as proof).
3. I was in the passenger seat of a mid-70's-era Fiat Spyder that face-planted into a tree at about 25 MPH. A tree that is still living. The Fiat is not.

That s# jolts a person's body with G forces no human being is designed to withstand, and which no professional football player could generate upon another on game day.
You don't come back from something like this car wreck in a matter of days/weekor2.

I'm telling you all, right here/right now: Myles got his ass rocked with this accident. We should all wish him well for a full recovery, but we should also prepare ourselves for (best-case scenario): a couple/some games missed, and a few games of "Post-CoVid Myles" production even after his return. At the very least.

Car wrecks are not natural occurrences. They take a real toll. And as much as we fans may see our Browns players as larger-than-life/larger-than-us... they really are just chunks of 98.6 like you and me, when it comes to things like this.

To speak only for myself, I expect to see Myles at full strength next year, and not sooner.

Clemdawg.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 09:22 AM
Well said Clem. I expect him to miss some time … especially with how severe that accident looked
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 09:40 AM
I agree. Even if he says he wants to play, I would probably sit him this week.

As I and others who have experienced something similar, it a pretty big shock on the system. You don't start to feel that shock until the next day. Unlike a hit in football, the best way I can describe it is you start to feel the discomfort from the inside out when you get rocked to the core. Myles and friend are going to be feeling it today. That will last a few days for sure. Maybe longer.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 10:18 AM
Put that helmet on and your pads and get back in there.

We don't want no stinking puscatores.

You had your seat belt on. So, you rolled over a few times. Big deal. Hell not much different than an amusement park ride.

ouch I bumped my elbow!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 10:30 AM
Still trying to figure out how he fit in that Porsche.

Looks ready to go on Sunday.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 12:53 PM
I hope the Browns follow the advice of the doctors who are involved in caring for injuries Myles suffered in the accident.

Protecting Myles from his own ego should be a top priority. If the doctors caring for Myles believe he needs more time to recuperate from his injuries, so be it.

Myles needs to take as long as needed before returning to the football field..imo.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 01:23 PM
I hope the Browns follow the advice of the doctors who are involved in caring for injuries Myles suffered in the accident.

I was under the impression that the medical staff determines the injury status of the players. Are you saying that coaches play players even if the the medical staff deems that player as "out?"
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 01:25 PM
I think what he's saying is Depo will make the final call.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 01:26 PM
rofl
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 01:44 PM

As a passenger in a similar accident I can probably account for what happened.

1. can we assume the vehicle was going pretty fast, that car just cruising its going fast.

2. for some reason they had decided to pull over on the shoulder.

3. It looked like grass all the way with very little change in the ground being level - so instead of jamming on the breaks they simply slowed down to a reasonable speed when going off the round in what appeared to be nice level ground.

4. Like an instant a ravine appears instead of nice level grass and the car dropped severely and rolled. In my case the car ended up upside down and the gas tank was on fire. No explosion cause it was just filled. Myles case there was no fire and I don't know in what position was his vehicle when he stopped his roll.

Thank goodness like in my experience there was no injury thanks to an Angel keeping an eye on Myles.
jmhassessment of what happened. No proof just an educated guess.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 02:56 PM
Browns LT Jedrick Wills ranks 2nd in pass block win rate through week 3

Thoughts?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 03:00 PM

He's healthy. Good for him. Keep it up.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 03:50 PM
j/c...

Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 04:22 PM

Maybe JT's ability to teach is helping a bit...

Being healthy is a big factor in the performance of every player. Once the opponent knows a player is not 100%, they will focus on exploiting that player's injury.

Another point I will bring up...I just went back and did some review of Wills blocking against the Steelers and I noticed the Browns were doing some chipping on Wills side...I wonder how they grade the "WIN RATE" when that player is getting some assistance from chipping...?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish

You had your seat belt on. So, you rolled over a few times. Big deal. Hell not much different than an amusement park ride.

ouch I bumped my elbow!

Wow! Just wow!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 05:28 PM
I thought that area looked semi-familiar. Sharon Twp responded, that's just down the road from me.

I hope everything was extremely minor.
Thank God for well-built cars, I reckon!
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 05:29 PM
I guess I should have put it in purple.

Damn just kidding
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 07:42 PM
Miles stated/ reported he swerved to miss a deer. Your take on accident doesn't help. Personally, I hope Miles buys an SUV with good safety features. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by mac

Maybe JT's ability to teach is helping a bit...

Being healthy is a big factor in the performance of every player. Once the opponent knows a player is not 100%, they will focus on exploiting that player's injury.

Another point I will bring up...I just went back and did some review of Wills blocking against the Steelers and I noticed the Browns were doing some chipping on Wills side...I wonder how they grade the "WIN RATE" when that player is getting some assistance from chipping...?

I'd be interested in how they came up with the rate also. When you look at Wills PFF Grades through the first 3-weeks, it's hard to believe he's the 2nd best in the NFL with his pass block win rate with such a poor PFF Grades.

Wills - Through 3-weeks PFF Grade:

Total Offense - Ranked 57th out of 70 rated - 56.7 Grade
Run Blocking - Ranked 60th out of 70 rated - 51.3 Grade
Pass Blocking - Ranked 50th out of 70 rated - 59.6 Grade

Top 5 OT PFF Grades through 3-weeks:

Total Offense
1. Thomas - NYG - 90.1
2. Tunsil - HOU - 84.8
3. Slater - LAC - 84.0
4. Williams - SFO - 79.5
5. Sewell - DET - 78.9

Run Blocking:
1. Fleming - DEN - 90.4
2. Thomas - NYG - 90.2
3. Slater - LAC - 88.0
4. Sewell - DET - 86.0
5. Cosmi - WAS - 82.8

Pass Blocking:
1. Hurst - NOS - 89.6
2. Humphries - ARI - 87.3
3. Tunsil - HOU - 87.0
4. Johnson - PHI - 85.0
5. Leno - WAS - 83.8

As you can see, Wills is nowhere near the top 5 PFF Graded OT's much less the 2nd best. Could you tell us where the stat you're using is derived from?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/28/22 10:57 PM

Pass block win rate as I understand it is based on whether or not a pass blocker gives his qb time for 2.5 seconds or not. 2.5 seconds or more is a win. Less than 2.5 seconds is a loss. As the article mentioned, having a qb who doesn't hold the ball as long as another is important. I have said for decades that when most fans watch a game, they can't distinguish between 4 seconds and 2 seconds. They see the qb get hit or not. It's on the OL if the qb gets hit. No praise for the OL if he doesn't. I took the liberty of looking up JB's time to throw rate this year. It's 2.8 seconds. That's too high. I can't recall exactly, but that is probably around 20th in the league. However, in 2020, Baker held the ball longer than any qb n the league. It was something like 3.04 seconds. Way, way too high.

I've been watching Wills closely this year because it is a big year for him. He is an enigma in that he makes some outstanding blocks and then has some really poor plays. He is rather inconsistent. We can win w/him and he is not nearly as bad as a poster or two make him out to be. On the other hand, I wouldn't say he is the 2nd best pass blocking LT in the league. He has talent. He has to work on maintaining a consistent high level of effort and concentration in order to reach his potential.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:20 AM
So, if a lineman gets help to block his man...such as a CHIP BLOCK by a teammate...this stat (win percentage) doesn't account for that sort of double team block...?

As I said, Joe Thomas' pointers might be helping Wills and as everyone knows, any player who is not being hampered by an injury should perform at a higher level. Wills dealt with ankle injuries the entire season last year.

Hope he continues to improve and stays healthy...but this stat is rather meaningless if it doesn't take double team/chip blocks into consideration.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:31 AM
I think what he's saying is Depo will make the final call.

We all know he like Depo, statistically speaking. wink
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:42 AM
I remember an interview with Joe Thomas in the off-season, and he said Wills has to play with greater consistency. I’m not gonna bother trying to find a link, you all just have to trust me. smile

I took it - and this is just my interpretation- as JT saying ‘gotta focus, work harder to develop the consistency needed to perform at a high level’.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 02:25 AM

ouch I bumped my elbow!

Oh, snaaaap ! I totally missed this-

rofl rofl rofl
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I remember an interview with Joe Thomas in the off-season, and he said Wills has to play with greater consistency. I’m not gonna bother trying to find a link, you all just have to trust me. smile

I took it - and this is just my interpretation- as JT saying ‘gotta focus, work harder to develop the consistency needed to perform at a high level’.

lamp...I remember several stories that touched on how Joe Thomas was helping Wills, emphasizing focus and consistency.

After the season Wills went through, dealing with injury and not being able to play up to your own expectations..it had to take a toll on Wills confidence. Getting help from Joe Thomas had to be a boost to Wills confidence. Hopefully Wills will continue to improve and stay healthy.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:08 PM
Hope he continues to improve and stays healthy...but this stat is rather meaningless if it doesn't take double team/chip blocks into consideration.

Do you have a link that confirms this claim? Please don't reply w/a question to deflect. I don't know the answer, but I would like to see confirmation of your claim because I find it a little surprising considering how deeply these Next Gen stats dig into the game.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:20 PM

Do you have a link that confirms this claim? Please don't reply w/a question to deflect. I don't know the answer, but I would like to see confirmation of your claim because I find it a little surprising considering how deeply these Next Gen stats dig into the game.[/quote]

vers...you are the board member who posted the info...you tell everyone how they grade double team and chip block help such as the help that Wills received in the Steelers game...let us know why you have an answer...thanks, mac
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:22 PM
Just as I figured.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:44 PM
Okay, I looked it up since mac ducked yet another question. Here is an article from 2018. I omitted the charts that listed the grades for the individual players because they are not relevant to what we are discussing. However, feel free to check out the link. Looks like mac's claim was incorrect. Also, consider how many improvements they made in just one year while reading the article. Then consider if the grading evaluation has evolved or not since that time? Some of us respect analytics. Others do not and would rather rely on built-in biases.

We created better pass-rusher and pass-blocker stats: How they work

As a unit, the Rams' Pass Block Win Rate went from 35 percent in 2016 (30th in the league) to 55 percent in 2017 (second in the league). Chris Williams/Icon Sportswire
Oct 5, 2018
Brian Burke
ESPN Analytics

ESPN Analytics is pleased to present a revolutionary new way of measuring the pass-block and pass-rush performance of individual NFL players. Read the abbreviated explanation on how they work, or skip to the full details on why they matter and what they can tell us. And see what's new for 2019.

OK, what is this exactly?
Our new Pass Block Win Rate metric tells us the rate at which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer. Likewise, our Pass Rush Win Rate metric tells us how often a pass-rusher is able to beat his block within 2.5 seconds. Our model of pass blocking harnesses player tracking data from NFL Next Gen Stats.

So, what can these stats help show?
Now we finally have objective individual stats for linemen for their most critical tasks -- defending and attacking the passer. We can also know who is blocking whom on every snap, who was double-teamed, who got pressure from the edges and who got pressure by collapsing the pocket. The end result is that we can assess individual performance and team-level performance in the trenches separate and apart from the performance of the quarterback, receivers and secondary.

How do they work?
It's actually pretty simple -- there's no fancy machine learning involved. Our model uses the location, proximity and orientation of each player relative to every other player throughout a play to determine who is blocking whom. When a pass-rusher beats his block, we can tell which blocker allowed the pressure. And just as importantly, we know how long after the snap it occurred.

Why are they better than stats?
Metrics like QB pressures and time in pocket might be useful, but they can be misleading. A QB pressure can occur for several reasons other than unreliable pass protection, such as good coverage, poor route-running or missed reads by the quarterback. Our win rate metric isolates line play from those other factors. Also, time in pocket metrics don't know the difference between a quick read and release by the quarterback and ineffective pass protection. If a passer throws at 1.8 seconds after the snap, does that mean he only had 1.8 seconds to throw, or did he execute his read quickly? Our metrics know the difference.

Where could these stats lead?

You might find these metrics appear on various ESPN shows and in our articles. When you see Pass Block Win Rate (PBWR) or Pass Rush Win Rate (PRWR) powered by Next Gen Stats, these metrics are what we're referring to. These stats offer a novel way of understanding what drives the success or failure of pass offenses and defenses. We can now objectively assess individual player performance quickly and accurately, at a scale and scope not possible before. We can marry our metrics to other advanced metrics such as expected points and win probability to directly measure the effect individual performance has on team success.

What's new in 2019 for PBWR and PRWR?
Our pass-blocking and pass-rushing metrics have been in use for more than a full season now, and we've learned a tremendous amount since we rolled out the initial version. This was one of the first major projects using player tracking in football, and much of our efforts are quite experimental. Although we were thrilled with the initial results from our metrics, we've made a number of significant improvements for 2019:

Improved handling of double-teams: We corrected a number of false positive rush-wins when a rusher beats one lineman in the double-team but not the other. Additionally, we were previously tallying only double-teams between two offensive linemen. Now we tally double-teams regardless of the position combination, so running backs and tight ends count too.

Improved handling of unusual pocket geometries: In an effort to capture when a rusher is able to collapse a pocket, we analyzed pocket geometry throughout each pass play. But our logic was often fooled whenever the pocket became "convex" (bending away from QB instead of around him), making it appear the rusher has caved the pocket when he hasn't. We've fixed this.

Corrected occasional false positive rush wins: Our algorithm depends on proximity and orientation to determine who is blocking whom. So when a blocker is slow to engage immediately after the snap, it can look like a rusher is unblocked. Similarly, if there is about to be a double-team and the nearer blocker is slow to engage, it could appear as though the rusher has instantly beaten the block from the more distant blocker. This also was fixed.

Significantly improved identification of which players are truly blocking and rushing: Our original logic merely defined rushers as defenders who crossed the line of scrimmage and defined blockers as offensive players who did not cross the line of scrimmage. This was acceptable for the vast majority of rushers and blockers, but wasn't very accurate for tight ends, backs and linebackers. The new logic is adapted from our latest player tracking project and is much more accurate. Block-and-go-type releases by tight ends and backs who do not cross the line of scrimmage are no longer counted against them as pass-block losses (and no longer count as pass-rush wins for the defender who is released).

Team-level PBWR and PRWR summary calculations now use the same logic as the individual-level metrics: We previously used a slightly different way of calculating the rates for teams than for individuals, but our improvements this year help lessen the need for different methods.

We can expect the improvements to cause PBWR numbers to increase and PRWR numbers to decrease as a whole. Double-team rate numbers will increase. The bottom line is that overall accuracy is substantially improved.

All the details on PBWR and PRWR
What they can do
Finally, an objective, meaningful stat for individual linemen and pass-rushers. Blocking and beating blocks are at the heart of football, but are among the most overlooked aspects of the sport. Pass Block Win Rate and Pass Rush Win Rate can tell us which linemen are having the biggest effect on their team's fortunes, and which are holding their team back. We can also now catalog every block on every pass play. We know who blocked whom and how long that block was sustained, which is the key to our metrics' effectiveness.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...g-stats-analytics-explainer-faq-how-work
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:53 PM
vers..you can't make this stuff up...YOU POST A LINK, FROM A WEBSITE YOU FREQUENT...and you have no answer as to how the site grades WIN RATE... rofl

Like I said, this WIN RATE STAT....MEANINGLESS..!

That does not mean Wills is not improved, but sometimes numbers used to measure a players performance don't amount to much... notallthere

Maybe they should add a category such as WIN RATE with CHIP BLOCK ASSIST... thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:57 PM
What in the hell are you talking about? The article clearly explained how the grading process works. And it is not a site I frequent. I did a quick search. It was right at the top of the page. Your claim was fabricated. I recognize you won't admit to being wrong, but others will see the truth if they take the time to read the article. You laughing emoji won't change that.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 12:59 PM
PFF GRADES THROUGH 3-weeks

TOTAL OFFENSIVE GRADES:
1st of 57 - RB -Chubb - 88.4 **
1st of 71 - G -Teller - 84.4 **
3rd of 33 - QB -Brissett - 78.7 **
7th of 71 - G - Bitonio - 75.4 **
19th of 106 - WR -Cooper - 74.5 **
3rd of 65 - TE -Njoku - 73.4 **
___________________________________3 starters currently performing at Backup Level
27th of 70 - OT - Conklin - 69.0 **
11th of 37 - C - Pocic - 67.5 **
33rd of 70 - OT - Hudson - 67.4
34th of 57 - RB - Hunt - 64.1
NR - WR - Schwartz - 63.7
21st of 65 - TE - Bryant - 62.2 **
___________________________________2 starters currently performing below acceptable level
79th of 106 - WR - DPJ - 59.5 **
57th of 70 - OT - Wills - 56.7 **
NR - WR - Felton - 56.1
107th of 109 - WR - Bell - 48.1
NR - G - Dunn - 40.8

TOTAL DEFENSIVE GRADES:
3rd of 104 - Edge - Garrett - 91.6 **
10th of 104 - Edge - Clowney - 89.2 **
5th of 78 - LB - Walker - 82.7 (Injured, out for season)
7th of 78 - LB - JOK - 80.0 **
NR - LB - Takitaki - 78.6
29th of 103 - CB - Emerson - 69.7 **
___________________________________2 starters currently performing at Backup Level
31st of 76 - S - Johnson - 65.9 **
56th of 103 - CB - Newsome - 61.3 **
___________________________________5 starters currently performing below acceptable level
NR - DT - Winfrey - 59.8
65th of 120 - DT - Bryan - 58.3 **
85th of 104 - Edge - Wright - 53.7
NR - S - Harrison - 50.2
NR - Edge - Rochell - 49.9
67th of 76 - S - Delpit - 45.7 **
NR - DT - Togiai - 45.3
NR - Edge - Winovich - 42.4
115th of 120 - DT - Elliott - 38.8 **
73rd of 78 - LB - Phillips - 38.0 **
NR - CB - Green - 32.6
100th of 103 - CB - Ward - 31.5 **

NR = Not Ranked due to not having snap minimum
** = Denotes starter

SCALE:
100 - 90 = Elite level of play
85-89 = Pro Bowler level of play
84-70 = Starter level of play
69-60 = Backup level of play
59-0 = Replaceable level of play
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 01:17 PM
What in the hell are you talking about? The article clearly explained how the grading process works. And it is not a site I frequent. I did a quick search. It was right at the top of the page. Your claim was fabricated. I recognize you won't admit to being wrong, but others will see the truth if they take the time to read the article. You laughing emoji won't change that.

vers...nnaaa...this information that YOU POSTED but you have no answer to A GOOD QUESTION that is based on the actual play on the field...

It's obvious to me that you didn't review the game video close enough to realize that the coaching staff was giving Wills some help...NOT A DAMN THING WRONG WITH THAT...it's good use of our offensive personnel, imo.

But to make up a stat that shows aN OLineman's WIN RATE, knowing that Lineman is being assisted by teammates...that stat is rather bogus, you must admit..!! grin
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 01:31 PM
When I typed "ouch I bumped my elbow."

I was thinking everyone would get that I was poking fun at myself.

Pit thought I was serious. Glad to make myself clear.

We can not walk in Myles's shoes. (to big anyway). I don't have a clue how he will feel come Sunday.

He is a young stud in his prime. He is conditioned to play in pain. He has to decide the difference between pain and injury. And what he can deal with.

Maybe they play him in situations.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 01:35 PM
From the article:

Improved handling of double-teams: We corrected a number of false positive rush-wins when a rusher beats one lineman in the double-team but not the other. Additionally, we were previously tallying only double-teams between two offensive linemen. Now we tally double-teams regardless of the position combination, so running backs and tight ends count too.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 01:45 PM
This is a thing of beauty on many levels.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 01:57 PM
Nick Chubb is a pleasure to watch.

He can do it all but what I love is his focus to always get forward.

IMO right now he stands alone. It is a perfect match with our line and scheme and the combination of Nick and Kareem.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 02:11 PM
i dunno why people are hating on Wills.

is he not part of the offensive line that has us leading the league in rushing? or is that another LT that i'm not aware of starting for the browns.

is he not the LT that isn't letting JB getting destroyed from the blind side and allowing him to make really good plays in the passing game? or is that another LT starting for the browns this year that i'm not aware of.

he doesn't need to be the best LT in the league. he just need to continue doing what he's doing, which is helping us lead the league in rushing and making JB look like a legit NFL starting QB.

i get we all love stats and grades, but at some point the eye test still needs to the primary factor. and the eye test says Wills is doing just fine so far.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 02:14 PM
Wills is inconsistent, but we can win w/him. Our OL has been--and continues to be--and huge strength for this team.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 02:23 PM

is he not part of the offensive line that has us leading the league in rushing? or is that another LT that i'm not aware of starting for the browns.

is he not the LT that isn't letting JB getting destroyed from the blind side and allowing him to make really good plays in the passing game? or is that another LT starting for the browns this year that i'm not aware of.

he doesn't need to be the best LT in the league. he just need to continue doing what he's doing, which is helping us lead the league in rushing and making JB look like a legit NFL starting QB.

i get we all love stats and grades, but at some point the eye test still needs to the primary factor. and the eye test says Wills is doing just fine so far.

He was the 10th overall pick in his draft. There were other OTs available to compare against...many people (not necessarily me...or you) thought him transitioning from RT to LT wouldn't work out. The criticism may be unfair or even harsh at times...or may be spot on...but it is what it is due to ^.

Throw in the slight hints from Teller last year that JWs work ethic could maybe be amped up and you get some critical takes.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 02:24 PM
i agree. and yea he's been inconsistent, but posters trying act like dude is Cam Irving or something. Wills is still young with plenty of time to get better and develop consistency.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 02:28 PM
I think he was battling through minor injuries most of last season and that was the cause of most of the inconsistencies. Someone posted above "He's healthy now" - that's a huge part of his play this year. I still have faith in him developing and improving and being very good.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 02:48 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 03:26 PM

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 03:28 PM
I think we all guessed/recognised you can't flip a car 'several times' without going pretty fast. Even a light weight sports car like MG's Porsche. Honestly - 65 in a 45 isn't as bad as I feared. Bottom line.... hope he gets healthy - hope he participates in some driving school which will probably be mandatory, and move on and be better and safer the other side of this.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 03:33 PM
65 in a 45 isn't all that bad, except that the roads were wet & slick.
It was poor judgement that turned out extremely well for him; though, I haven't seen any further update on his passenger's status.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think we all guessed/recognised you can't flip a car 'several times' without going pretty fast. Even a light weight sports car like MG's Porsche. Honestly - 65 in a 45 isn't as bad as I feared. Bottom line.... hope he gets healthy - hope he participates in some driving school which will probably be mandatory, and move on and be better and safer the other side of this.
They're citing him with failure to control. They know his record of "speed"... but can't accurately predict it in this case. It was probably much faster than 65. You have troopers being lenient because they're happy they weren't prying dead bodies from the car... and probably think there is a good chance Myles has learned his lesson.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 04:11 PM
They're citing him with failure to control. They know his record of "speed"... but can't accurately predict it in this case. It was probably much faster than 65. You have troopers being lenient because they're happy they weren't prying dead bodies from the car... and probably think there is a good chance Myles has learned his lesson.

Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 04:15 PM
Hmm... didn't know we had a witness. Did the witness see Rudolph crossing the road??
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 04:28 PM
The four legged one or the two legged one?
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 04:39 PM

it could've been faster. but when i look at the damage and the environment, him wrecking around 65 isn't surprising.

people gotta remember what that day was up here. it was the day that it rained HARD on and off all day. then you have to take into account that its a Porsche, so he's on summer tires, being either the michelin super cups or the pirelli p zeros. not bragging here, but i had the bmw M6 with pirelli's, and i can tell you for a fact that i wouldn't be caught dead driving the M6 in the kind of weather Myles was driving in, cause the ass end of that car is BEGGING to slide out. so we got that factor, hydroplaning, etc. Lead has/had a corvette Z06, and im sure he can tell you how dangerous the ride could be with summer tires even in DRY conditions.

then of course, after saying all that, its a combination of that plus he's on a backroad trying to show off with his girl in the car, which typically never ends well for anybody, especially mustang drivers.

im just glad everybody seems to be ok, and the one thing we ARENT having to talk about is him being drunk or something like this. good old fashion car wreck.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 05:40 PM
Hmm... didn't know we had a witness. Did the witness see Rudolph crossing the road??

He may not have swerved in that case.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 06:17 PM
What happened to the "deer"? saywhat
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
What happened to the "deer"? saywhat

He's "third fiddle"... behind a crappy QB and an over-rated rookie.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 07:29 PM

swish...I don't believe folks are "hating on Wills".

Fact is, most believe Wills is showing progress now that he is not hobbled by an ankle injury and getting some tutoring from JT.

That said, we do need to be realistic about Wills progress...he is at the "beginning" with a ways to go before he overcomes his disappointing performance of a year ago.

CONCERNING YOUR COMMENT BELOW..click PLAY on the link below and watch...

https://www.nfl.com/videos/highsmith-puts-wills-jr-in-spin-cycle-for-third-down-sack-on-brissett

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 07:40 PM
The four legged one or the two legged one?

have you ever seen both of them together?

Couincidence? I think not.
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/29/22 10:55 PM
Willis isn't J Thomas, he looked BAD on that play, but he's rated pretty good by PFF on pass blocking....next subject, PAUL HARVEY the rest of the story.....I supported Miles about the deer and YADDA, YADDA, YADDA....now he's doing 65 in 45 on rainy roads...he's a TEAM LEADER- Browns doing NOTHING against their SUPER STAR isn't good....FINE his butt, heavily ...he bitched about rookie DT not being a professional.....calling the kettle black....he owes the team an apology. Availability counts....this sucks for a so called leader.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by hitt
Willis isn't J Thomas, he looked BAD on that play, but he's rated pretty good by PFF on pass blocking....next subject, PAUL HARVEY the rest of the story.....I supported Miles about the deer and YADDA, YADDA, YADDA....now he's doing 65 in 45 on rainy roads...he's a TEAM LEADER- Browns doing NOTHING against their SUPER STAR isn't good....FINE his butt, heavily ...he bitched about rookie DT not being a professional.....calling the kettle black....he owes the team an apology. Availability counts....this sucks for a so called leader.

Wills PFF Grade on pass blocking actually isn't very good. His overall offensive grade is 56.7. His pass blocking grade is 59.6 which has him ranked 47th of 67 OT's ranked in pass blocking. Just an FYI, Wills run blocking grade is currently 51.3 which is 59th of 67 rated OT's.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by mac

vers...nnaaa...this information that YOU POSTED but you have no answer to A GOOD QUESTION that is based on the actual play on the field...

It's obvious to me that you didn't review the game video close enough to realize that the coaching staff was giving Wills some help...NOT A DAMN THING WRONG WITH THAT...it's good use of our offensive personnel, imo.

But to make up a stat that shows aN OLineman's WIN RATE, knowing that Lineman is being assisted by teammates...that stat is rather bogus, you must admit..!! grin

Well, according to Steve's poast, Wills is failing no matter if he is getting help or not.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 11:28 AM
I think intelligent people understand that using only one source is not a good way to measure things unless you are only attempting to convince others of your own particular biased opinion. For example, in this case a person who wants to say that Wills is really good would ignore the PFF score and the tape and point just to the pass blocking won/loss rate. A person who wants to say he sucks would ignore the won/loss pass blocking rate and the tape and only use the PFF score. Both would ignore that it is early in the season.

An unbiased person who only seeks the truth would consider the PFF grade, the Won/Loss pass blocking grade, the tape, and the fact that the data is limited due to it being early in the season.

I think you already know all this....LOL.......but, it's worth noting.
Posted By: PerfectSpiral Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg

He may not have swerved in that case.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 01:43 PM
IMO, many have gone "stats crazy" in an attempt to determine if a player's performance is acceptable or not. Those who have difficulty judging the play on the field are attempting to find a method based on "numbers" and to rely on those numbers to determine a players performance.

Take the video clip of Wills getting beat by the Steelers Highsmith...I wonder how this Analytics outfit scored that play..?
...clearly, Wills got beat badly by Highsmith..but it took Highsmith 3.5 seconds (or more) to get to Brissett.
...so according to the parameters stated, Brissett did not get sacked in the first 2.5 seconds of that play, meaning Wills did his job by giving Brissett 2.5 seconds to throw the ball.

At some point, the "stats guys" are going to be forced to make a judgement call as to how they grade the Highsmith play. So, if those reviewing the video are forced to make judgement calls based on how they viewed that play...how reliable are the stats they are attempting to use to judge the play of our OT..?

Those who can judge a players performance based on the video they watch while understanding the value of some stats, but also understand that some stats are "unreliable"...they may be the best suited at judging a players performance...jmo..mac
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 03:00 PM
I think intelligent people understand that using only one source is not a good way to measure things unless you are only attempting to convince others of your own particular biased opinion. For example, in this case a person who wants to say that Wills is really good would ignore the PFF score and the tape and point just to the pass blocking won/loss rate. A person who wants to say he sucks would ignore the won/loss pass blocking rate and the tape and only use the PFF score. Both would ignore that it is early in the season.

An unbiased person who only seeks the truth would consider the PFF grade, the Won/Loss pass blocking grade, the tape, and the fact that the data is limited due to it being early in the season.

I think you already know all this....LOL.......but, it's worth noting.

The problem with your breakdown is you automatically assume a poster as being biased if they are critical of a player's documented play. Case in point, I see no one - not a single poster - saying the PFF Grades are early in the season, are limited, or should be ignored for players like Garrett, Chubb, Tiller, Bitonio, Clowney, or Brissett. For those guys, PFF is gospel, and I haven't seen a single post claiming anyone as being biased or to proceed with caution because it's the early season or worst yet - we've played bottom tiered teams to this point.

Instead, now we will use the comment that only an intelligent person would understand that using only one source (the holy grail of sources if your players are rated exceptional) that the person is trying to convince others of your own biased opinion. This couldn't be further from the truth.

In regard to Wills:
Wills has struggled mightily since entering the league after being made to switch from RT to a position - LT - a position that he has never played before in his life. If you look at how he's actually performed at the position, there's major concerns that the trend clearly points out.

As a rookie in 2020, Wills PFF Grade for the season was 62.6 which was ranked 57th of 79 OT's ranked. In 2021, Wills was injured but playing most of the year. On a team that lets fans use the injury excuse for some to explain poor production but not for others, Wills injury would appear to some to have been an issue for his production level where his PFF Grade in 2021 was 66.1 which ranked him 52nd of 83 OT's ranked. In 2022, now healthy by all reports, Wills has started out after 3-weeks far worse than he performed the previous 2-years. After 3-weeks, Wills PFF Grade is 56.7 which currently ranks him 57th of 70 OT's ranked. The trend is showing he's performing worse than the 2 previous years. He's also in his 5th year option decision point where the Browns must decide if Wills is worth over 20M for 2024.

Is this really the type of production we should expect from a top 10 first round pick? Considering the 2022 production of some of the other OT's taken in 2020: Thomas NYG picked 4th has a 2020 PFF Grade of 90.1, Wirfs TBB picked 13th has a PFF Grade of 75.8, Steele DAL was undrafted and has a PFF Grade of 71.0, and Becton NYJ picked 11th (who's had season ending injuries in 2021 and 2022) had a PFF Grade of 74.4 in 2020. Comparatively speaking, Wills looks like a bust when you stack him up with the players he was drafted with and the poor PFF Grades he's producing. This is not being biased, this is looking at the level of production exhibited on the field where to date - he's having his worst year as a Browns OT while playing bottom tiered teams these first 3 games.

So sir, an unbiased person who only seeks the truth would consider what the player has actually produced over 2-years and 3 games rather than living in the world of possible potential that has yet to raise it head to notability. In fact, only a biased person trying to convince others of their own biased opinion would discount the production level of poor performance in 31 starts as being early in the current season and limited when the numbers consistently show a completely different story.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 04:57 PM
Here is an article that reviews the tape to examine Wills' performance.

Nothing is showing up on my screen. Here is a link to the article. You can watch the videos from here.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 05:13 PM
Face it Dummy - you aren't intelligent enough to understand these things. Just accept it.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 07:16 PM
They will accentuate the good PFF grades on Browns players and try to undermine the bad ones. You've been around here long enough I thought you knew how that worked by now.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 10:40 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 10:42 PM
We need to hire the Dolphins medical staff... pronto.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 10:50 PM
We need to hire the Dolphins medical staff... pronto.

This.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by mac
sometimes numbers used to measure a players performance don't amount to much!
Yep.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 09/30/22 11:53 PM
The eye test usually works!
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/01/22 02:21 AM
rofl smh...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/01/22 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Originally Posted by mac
sometimes numbers used to measure a players performance don't amount to much!
Yep.

No doubt that sometimes smart people fail in school.

The grades don't always tell the entire story, but they give one a good starting point based on all the other students, in this case players. I agree with Steve that sample size can give a distorted view, good or bad, but they give a good view of that game.

Players face different tests each week just like students face different tests each week.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/01/22 12:04 PM
The eye test usually works!

Should that be in purple? For years, the eye test for multiple posters has been hysterically wrong. They blamed our OL. They blamed our scheme. They blame coaches. They blame the fans.

Please!
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/01/22 03:04 PM
Vers, they blame you sometimes too!!! LOL
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/01/22 06:08 PM
LOL.....I know.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 01:53 AM
Some people disagree with your thoughts now, Ouch. Maybe you might want to reconsider?

I really disagree w/you about Stefanski. I like his scheme. I think he dials up a ton of short passes and pounds the rock w/Brissett. I think his use of the ZBS is very good. Dude was NFL coach of the year just two years ago.

I think our defense improved as the year progressed and it should be even better this upcoming year.

Just a few early quotes I've seen. Hate to say, "I told you so!"

Originally Posted by leadtheway
Its simple, this FO and Coaching staff aren't going to be the ones to get us where we want to go. Same issues since game 1, bad coaching on defense, bad situational playcalling on offense, and lack of talent in the front 7 and receiver. Berry gets too much love IMO, this is just as much his issue as anyones. You can't go into the year with tommy freaking Togai as your starting DT.. Our DT's and LBs are some of the worst if not the worst in the league. This was evidenced today by watching a team realize that if we attack them with the run game it's over. Don't think the other 31 teams don't see the same thing. We are toast. Berry has done nothing to address this, despite guys like Suh and Blake Martinez sitting there and could immediately help. Then on the offensive side you have cooper and then a bunch of guys that might be good enough for ST for most teams, so what is going to happen when they just double him and make other guys beat him. Berry sticks with losers too long and doesn't admit his mistakes. Majority of the talent on this team was brought in by Dorsey. Berry has done his best to break it down to almost unwatchable. Tons of great young coaches in the NFL, we need to stop settling for average, and Stefanski is barely that and Woods can't even see that from the rung he's on. Biggest thing outside of playcalling is these players aren't getting coached to be better, either that or we are drafting low ceiling guys. Not going for the FG in the 1st drive and then having a 1st and goal at the 1 with the best two backs in the NFL and come away with only 3 shows how bad Stefanski really is. He has no feel.

I'm not going to rant and rave as I have done in the past. We could easily be 4-0 and the talk of the league. We're not. Today was another disappointing loss in a long list of them. Not as Bad as the Jets loss but not good. We were down too many good starters for this game and still nearly won. I can't understand why this team fails so badly in the 4th Qtr. game after game when our coaches know what the problem is. I mean they have to know right it happens all the time and they don't fix it? DW"s return is not going to fix this. It has to be done now. 2 losses by 4 points; the difference between being on top of the league undefeated and what we are. It makes me sick and be prepared my fellow Browns fans because now it's going to get harder.

Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Meh, we are what we are. JB played more like a backup today. KS's play calling is still suspect. Woods is an awful DC. We had several guys out. We just are what we are.

The Browns are an average football team with an average coaching staff. It is what it is.

Originally Posted by Floquinho
Another unnecessary loss mostly because of bad decision making from our coaches.

Originally Posted by redddog
This game highlights the tenuous grip kS has on this team.

If I were haslam, this is what would be in the works for tomorrow morning:

Woods will be met at the door. Escorted to his office and allowed to pack a box. Then walked to his car and watched until he was off the premises. This a$$hole has squandered an all-star roster and fielded a dis-organized mess after 3 years of “leading.”

I would then meet KS in his office. He would be asked why in the hell he has fallen on the hand grenade for this coach as he took this all-star roster and made them the laughingstock of the league. I would demand an adequate answer. And it better be good.

I would then demand that the play calling be handed to Alex. Non-negotiable. If this is a problem, then we’ll wish you luck in your next endeavors.

The goodwill that KS earned in his “coach of the year” season is officially gone. He is, and should be, on the hot seat. There should NOT be any discussion of injuries and challenges they have faced this year. That is BS and a cop out. We have a roster most teams would kill for.

They have managed to build a championship roster. Berry did that and he should be safe - for now. I hate the Watson trade and if it doesn’t directly lead to a Super Bowl, I’ll question this front office. Even still, Watson is a dirt-bag and it will absolutely taint any success we have for me. I digress. Obviously, there are holes. Every team has them. And We do. But this team has the talent to win and it doesn’t. This is the coaching staff. Woods has had this team for 3 YEARS! And they look LOST! This defense is indefensible.

You want to let this crap go down on your team, haslam? Fine. But we deserve better. And if this Head Coach won’t course correct, then you have to. How many $hit sandwiches are we supposed to be forced to eat? How long before this torchured fan-base finally has enough? How many rebuilds, coaching changes, roster rebuilds and embarrassments do we have to endure?

I wish we as fans could quit this team for a while - truly hit this ownership in the wallet for once. But it won’t happen. They know we are too committed to this team. They know it’s a culture. And that’s why they know they will never be held accountable.

I know this is was week 4, but I am as disheartened as I’ve been in years.

Our defense should be embarrassed

Our playcalling was really questionable IMO

They took away our screen game and it destroyed us … props to them

Wasted opportunity for a w, but I knew we were up against it.

That sucks

Originally Posted by Xanthros
14 straight successful running plays to essentially close out the game. Inexcusable and unacceptable. Someone needs to be held accountable and it starts with Stefanski. The are no excuses why this team isn’t 4-0. Brissett has proven he can’t close out. Hence the backup designation. No real blame there.

Originally Posted by SunDawg
Stephanski is a poor play caller ... but he will get yet another pass this year because of the Watson fiasco
Joe Woods defense is too soft
This team is poorly coached and situationally ill-prepared
This team will be too far gone to make the playoffs even if Watson goes 6-0 when he comes back
Haslam is going to have a tough decision at years end regarding this coaching staff. If it were me I would tell Stephanski, give up play calling or there's the door.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:12 AM
Why does he have to reconsider? He's entitled to his own opinion.

Have you reconsidered your opinion on Baker? He was really bad when he played for the Browns. He's been worse than that, if it's believable, with the Panthers.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:17 AM
Hate to say, "I told you so!"

The effort put forth gathering all those quotes indicates otherwise.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:43 AM
Why does he have to reconsider? He's entitled to his own opinion.

Have you reconsidered your opinion on Baker? He was really bad when he played for the Browns. He's been worse than that, if it's believable, with the Panthers.

You guys just can't leave Baker out of any post. News Flash, Baker is no longer a Browns player. That boat has sailed - or has it for you? However, Stefanski is still here and the suspect play calling in 2021 has continued without fail in 2022. I'm not the only one that has noticed and questioning what the hell the Browns are doing. If hanging it all on Baker smooths your feelings, so be it - still doesn't change the fact that Stefanski sucked at play calling in 2021 and he's continued in 2022. Add in the continued regression of the defense and you have a below average HC - and I'm not alone in my opinion.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:51 AM
Strange egg.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:53 AM
It's never going to sail for me. It's too much fun to keep bringing it up.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 03:07 AM
Maybe Bakers shortcomings as a QB limited the plays
That Stefanski could dial up as a playcaller.
Let's face it, Mayfield really struggles when he has
To improvise when the play breaks down
Mayfield needs a running game behind him to even look
Average. He is so limited as a QB, he really hamstrings
The playbook and the playcaller.
Baker should be renamed Brady Anderson Jr.
He is really struggling big time in Carolina..
He can't see over the linemen without rolling out.
None of the WRs want him as the starting QB.
His TD to INT is bad. He can barely throw for 190 yds
In a single game. He isn't showing leadership.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 09:14 AM
j/c

Besides the fact that Baker wasn’t getting it done last season, i still recognized that he helped to make us viable again. But he also always had little quotes and actions off the field that were unbecoming. We’re seeing it again in Carolina (and his play is FAR worse there)
Posted By: jfanent Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Let's face it, Mayfield really struggles when he has
To improvise when the play breaks down
Mayfield needs a running game behind him to even look
Average. He is so limited as a QB, he really hamstrings
The playbook and the playcaller.
Baker should be renamed Brady Anderson Jr.
He is really struggling big time in Carolina..
He can't see over the linemen without rolling out.
None of the WRs want him as the starting QB.
His TD to INT is bad. He can barely throw for 190 yds
In a single game. He isn't showing leadership.

Is this a poem?
laugh
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:36 PM
JMHO, Man, who cares about Baker Mayfield? He's not our QB. He wil not be our QB.

I appreciate the way he helped this team turn from an utter joke into a playoff team. However, his time here has passed. I have no idea why so many people would want to continue to talk about him as if he still mattered to this team.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:43 PM
I understand you really liked Baker. I also know that you did not bash other posters for having an alternative opinion. Thus, I understand your point. However, I will counter that Baker is a football topic. A handful of posters ganging up on another poster and hurling multiple daily personal insults has nothing to do w/football? Just curious why you don't ask them to stop spamming these forums w/personal attacks?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:51 PM
I am asking you all to drop it.

It takes 2 people to keep an argument, especially a stupid one, going. Stupid arguments also die in silence.

There was a time when I read every single thread on the boards. (In PF, GD, and EE, anyway) Not anymore, The arguments have become stupid and petty.

Man, it's like 3rd grade sometimes.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 02:54 PM
Actually, I have all those guys on ignore. Yet, they won't stop. Just sayin'.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
I am asking you all to drop it.

It takes 2 people to keep an argument, especially a stupid one, going. Stupid arguments also die in silence.

There was a time when I read every single thread on the boards. (In PF, GD, and EE, anyway) Not anymore, The arguments have become stupid and petty.

Man, it's like 3rd grade sometimes.
Baker will always be linked to history of Browns failures
At QB. So in a sense he will still be a topic.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 03:13 PM
Do you ever accept any accountability for anything?

"They won't stop"... so the problem is that other posters have the gall to respond to your Baker posts. Do you realize how that sounds??
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 03:37 PM
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 04:12 PM
Do you ever accept any accountability for anything?

"They won't stop"... so the problem is that other posters have the gall to respond to your Baker posts. Do you realize how that sounds??

As with almost any post on this forum, there's a group that will immediately attack certain individuals because of their past support of individual players. Interesting enough, the initial post of over 1000 words talking specifically about the coaching woes of the Browns has been immediately turned on its head by the anti-Baker group. Keep in mind that of the 1000 plus words, the word Baker was not mentioned even a single time. It's ok though, I recognize the narcissism traits of many individuals in today's society.

Outside of that, the point of the original post is that there's a growing concern (rightfully so I might add) that Stefanski is not the coach as advertised and that he and his staff is ruining what is on paper one of the most talented teams in the NFL. Stefanski's suspect play calling didn't just start in 2022. In fact, he has a history of suspect play calling. The defense hasn't just struggled in 2022, we had the exact same issues in early 2021. Special teams have not been a problem just starting in 2022. The common denominator in all of this is the HC. Stefanski selects his staff. Stefanski approves the game plan. Stefanski is supposed to be the decision maker. Stefanski is the one responsible to have the staff in place to train yet the players aren't getting coached to be better.

In any case, we are through the easiest part of our schedule with 25% of the games done for a 2-2 record. The next 8-games will be brutal if some changes don't happen pretty quick. Before the players start complaining to the press, maybe it's time for another players meeting since it's obvious the coaches' meetings aren't working.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 04:17 PM
edited
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

You mean like the limited QB he has now does? Yet people keep blaming Stefanski.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 04:33 PM
j/c

Besides the fact that Baker wasn’t getting it done last season, i still recognized that he helped to make us viable again. But he also always had little quotes and actions off the field that were unbecoming. We’re seeing it again in Carolina (and his play is FAR worse there)

I really don't disagree with you at all. It does however surprise me that people try to expound on baker's actions while ignoring watson's as it pertains to the football side. Watson signed a long term contract extension with the Texans only to demand a trade a couple of months later. He then sat out an entire season until the Texans bowed to his demands. The entire time using his no trade clause option to tie their hands in making such a trade.

One is no longer here and the other is signed with the Browns on a 230 million dollar guaranteed contract. Yet people keep posting about the one who is no longer here and his " little quotes and actions off the field that were unbecoming. ", while ignoring the egregious way watson acted and treated the texans. I find that amazing.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 04:34 PM

That's right. You've shut out those who disagree with you while taking cheap shots at them. There's nothing manly or to be proud about there.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 04:39 PM
j/c...

Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 06:23 PM
DPOY .... notallthere
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 06:36 PM
j/c...

Ready your barf bags....

Jordan Elliott has an overall PFF grade of 29.5 on the season. Ranked 126th out of 127 DTs.

Tommy Togiai has and overall PFF grade of 28.5 on the season. Ranked 127th out of 127 DTs.

Jacob Phillips has an overall PFF grade of 28.8 on the season. Raked 80th out of 81 LBs. The Anthony Walker loss was a huge blow to the defense. He was the 5th highest rated LB.

Jacob Phillips had a grade of 27.3 against the Falcons.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 06:44 PM
j/c...

Ready your barf bags....

Jordan Elliott has an overall PFF grade of 29.5 on the season. Ranked 126th out of 127 DTs.

Tommy Togiai has and overall PFF grade of 28.5 on the season. Ranked 127th out of 127 DTs.

Jacob Phillips has an overall PFF grade of 28.8 on the season. Raked 80th out of 81 LBs. The Anthony Walker loss was a huge blow to the defense. He was the 5th highest rated LB.

Three of the Browns defensive players ranking nearly the worst in the NFL...what are the chances of that happening..?
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 06:45 PM
Suppose it has anything to do with the coaching these guys are getting...?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 06:45 PM
What is the chance a DC can put up a good defense with those players?
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 06:47 PM
Could it be that these guys were always bad and our front office is so damn poor at judging talent..?

Jordan Elliot- First-team All-SEC (2019)

Tommy Togiai- Second-team All-Big Ten (2020)

Jacob Phillips- led LSU in tackles as a junior

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 07:01 PM
I think almost everyone knew we were weak even at the starting positions along the interior of the DL before the season started. As far as depth is concerned it was even worse. I also don't think anyone was fooled by the lack of talent at LB'er depth either. I have no idea what happened. Maybe they wrote the season off before it began with watson being benched for 11 games. I have no idea if that's true or but from the standpoint of a guess it's as good as any.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 07:38 PM
I don't believe PFF grades have anything to do w/coaching. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 07:40 PM
Posted By: jacksondawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 08:05 PM
Considering the highest rated Browns were here before Berry started drafting that pretty much says it all.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 08:11 PM
j/c...

Ready your barf bags....

This is what Ive been trying to say.. Berry is horrible at drafting and evaluating.. All the best players were Dorsey, and even worse, Berry won't admit a mistake. Guys like phillips and schwartz have no business on this roster. You can't tell me a blake martinez or a Suh woudln't immediately help the middle of our defense. The only thing I will say is it may be as Pit mentioned and they consider this a throwaway season and look to retool this offseason and start with Watson game one. I don't think that type of plan is fair to the fans but it would explain why we didn't address DT/LB and wr this year. Also explains why Woods is still here. Either way, Berry deserves just as much blame, if not more than any coach.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 08:15 PM
The only thing I will say is it may be as Pit mentioned and they consider this a throwaway season and look to retool this offseason and start with Watson game one.

No offense, but I think that idea is absurd. We tanked years ago. We are not throwing this season away.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 08:21 PM
Conklin and Wills were brought in by Berry. He re-signed the other 3. His first big move at QB hasn't played yet, and his back up plan has performed better than the guy the last GM picked at pick 1. Would you rather he didn't re-sign Chubb, Bitonio, and Ward so his drafted players could grade at the top? I'm really not sure what you're comment is saying.

Clowney and Garrett didn't play. They make the guys around them (grade) better.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 08:31 PM
Well, they had 90 players report to camp to choose from to make the 53-man roster. You'd like to think that of the 4 DT's they eventually rostered, they'd be able to find at least 1 that could be rated at least in the top 50% of the league after the first 25% of the season. Hmmm. yet obviously the Browns could not do that.

So, of the principals involved, who do you hold accountable for the lack of defensive interior line play? Is it the top dog Berry? He is the person responsible for signing the players. Is it HC Stefanski who's supposed to be the ultimate decision maker on the roster and staff? Maybe it's Brownson, she is the Chief of Staff in the decision-making process. Maybe it's the DC Woods, after all it's his scheme (approved by Stefanski) that gets put on the field each week. Do we drop down to Dunn the Defensive Assistant to Woods? Perhaps it's Anderson in charge of Defensive Quality Control, not so much quality on the defense as a whole so far this year. I got it, it has to be the Defensive Line Coach Kiffin or his Assistant Defensive Line Coach Thomas. They have to be the fall guys for the poor level of DT play - Right?

If I'm a betting man, I doubt any move on Woods happens during the season. The heat on Stefanski will continue to rise if the defense doesn't improve dramatically. There could be a sacrificial lamb down the road, but it'll be someone under Woods. I'm guessing Kiffin or Thomas are on the hottest seats right now. Sad considering the ultimate decision maker will skate until Berry or Haslam decide it's time to address the real responsible person - the Head Coach.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 08:41 PM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 08:44 PM
Did one of guards get hurt yesterday?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 08:49 PM

So you're saying he is not the worst?

Oh.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 10:00 PM
So we have the two worst DT in the league that have enough snaps to qualify
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 10:05 PM
Did one of guards get hurt yesterday?

Not that I’m aware of.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 10:17 PM
Why doesn't our HC and GM just give in and sign a couple of DT's that are out there and help the team out. It's not a crime to make a mistake on judging our talent. It's a crime not to try and do something about it.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 10:33 PM
It's my opinion that if things get as ugly as I feel they will, we're in for a major housecleaning at the end of the season. I don't want it to happen I don't feel KS and AB deserve it, but Jimmy Haslam may not see it that way. The way we lost the 2 games we did was totally frustrating and is sticking in everyone's craw as it should be. The volcano waiting to erupt. I really don't want to have to start over again with this team. We don't need rebuild take 20 or whatever it is.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 10:39 PM
I disagree. I like you Homes, but you are listening to the wrong set of folks on here. They are wrong about almost every freaking football topic that comes across the board. We have a very good group of people here that actually work together. Berry and Stefanski are an excellent team. Well above average. Some are blaming them for the Baker thing, but they were right and the facts are proving that to be true.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 10:41 PM
So we have the two worst DT in the league that have enough snaps to qualify

Scheme and coaching have to be a part of their struggles. It's statistically virtually impossible that we have the 2 DTs with the least talent playing, there are contributing factors. Whatever the root cause, it's disheartening to say the very least.

As for blame or accountability ... It seems like posters have an absolute position that it's all Berry or none of it is Berry ... Or KS or whoever. The truth is that there is a blend of responsibility. There are positions in the draft that Berry has chronically missed on. There are players in FA that he has brought in that are stalwarts of them team. Wait and see how the season shakes out ...
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 10:49 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 10:50 PM
Vers I don't want to see it happen either I like Berry and Stefanski. I'm just saying it might happen when you take our history into consideration. They were right about Baker I agree. I liked Baker and wanted to see him get another shot here when healthy but as things have turned out it would have been a mistake. I didn't know what was going on behind the scenes. I imagine it got to be too much for our coaches and FO to tolerate. He's gone that's it. I just don't want to see things blown up again and hurt some good people we do have.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 11:02 PM
I disagree. I like you Homes, but you are listening to the wrong set of folks on here. They are wrong about almost every freaking football topic that comes across the board. We have a very good group of people here that actually work together. Berry and Stefanski are an excellent team. Well above average. Some are blaming them for the Baker thing, but they were right and the facts are proving that to be true.

Not enough to tell what posters should write about, or who, and on what topics ... And it's not enough to tell posters they SHOULD have responded to a comment when they didn't.... Not enough to tell posters they don't have the intelligence to understand, or to talk about posters you have on ignore ..... Now you got to tell posters who they should listen to!!! Absolutely priceless.

rofl
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 11:10 PM
Homes, no one is perfect. The league is full of the best coaches and FO minds the world has to offer. It's highly competitive. I have personally spoken to college and NFL coaches and almost every single one of them has uttered how incredibly difficult it is to even win a game at those levels.

I think that our guys have done a good job overall. Have there been failures? Of course. Berry should have upgraded the DTs, especially since the 4-2-5 needs big, block-eating DTs to compensate for the smaller, more agile, faster guys at other positions. I think he should have kept Landry. I am suspicious of us not cutting any of our draft choices over two years. Some of his draft picks have underperformed.

On the other hand, he has upgraded our QB room w/Watson and Jacoby. Both are better than Baker and Keenum. He's upgraded our OL w/Wills and and Conklin. He re-signed Teller and Bitonio.

He re-signed both Chubb and Hunt while he's been here.

DPJ was a steal in the 6th. JOK has issues, but he was a good value pick. I think Bell will develop, but that is not a fact. I just like what I see. He's upgraded our defensive backfield. Our kicking specialists are much better.

Again, there are issues, but no one talks about the positives.

As far as Stefanski goes, the criticism is mind-boggling to me. I get that fans and media folks have been bashing coaches for ever. I get that the Baker guys blame him for Baker being gone. But, his scheme is excellent. His playcalling is actually a strength. What did Baker do the year before Stefanski got here? What's he doing this year? Did Jacoby ever play this well in the NFL before Stefanski? Look, I don't know a lot about a lot of things. When I don't, I listen to those that do. I listen to guys like Clem and lamp when it comes to music. I listen to guys like Luke when it comes to technology. I listen to Eve when she talks about gaming and marketing. I listen to guys like 05 and peen when it comes to law. I listen to guys like jfan when it comes to mental health. It's about knowing your lane and trying to educate yourself. One thing I am supremely confident in is that I know football. Very well. I think better than anyone else on here and that is not an insult to others who know the game well. It was my profession. I should know more, so I am not bragging. I just get sick of nonsensical arguments that are often fueled by an alternative motive. I have no issue w/those who are not knowledgeable about football, but it does bother me when folks who don't know what the hell they are talking about try and act like those that do are ignorant.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 11:29 PM
AB can do something about the DT problem. There are guys out there that can help. Again, I don't know what's going on behind the scenes but I would like tosee something done if possible.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/03/22 11:34 PM
I agree w/you and I have been saying that ever since this summer. Again, there is good and bad. That goes for all teams. Most people think highly of Baltimore's FO and coaching staff. Yet, they have blown two 20 point leads this season. Should their GM be fired for not improving the secondary? Should Harbaugh be fired? I could go on and on. People like to rag on our guys, but they ignore the same things going on league wide.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 12:52 AM
Serious questions -

You seem to give Stefanski a lot of credit for his offensive accomplishments, but what about his performance as the head coach?

Do you think a good head coach loses to the Jets in the manner that he did?

Stefanski is responsible for the entire operation, not just the offense. We are 2-2 after having the easiest 4 game stretch to start the season.

I will repeat that I don't want him fired, but the results don't scream great head coach. They say pretty good offensive mind. Unfortunately that's not all he's responsible for.

All we can hope for now is that he gets better.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 01:17 AM
j/c...

I like it, fast legs along with JOK

Something has to work eventually

and it's not far off
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 04:42 AM
The only thing I will say is it may be as Pit mentioned and they consider this a throwaway season and look to retool this offseason and start with Watson game one.

No offense, but I think that idea is absurd. We tanked years ago. We are not throwing this season away.
I agree, and thats why I said that notion is unfair to the fans, I also don't think Pit actually meant it either..But not much else can explain some of the decisions on defense and Wr so far this year.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 09:16 AM
I get the impression that either we don't do a good job of scouting and selecting DT and WR's, and or we don't value the positions in the realm of roster building. By that I mean that there might be a feeling that "anybody" can play DT or be a decent receiver. They seem to be waiting to find that mid round value pick, which hasn't happened to this point.

Kind of like there is an attitude that you don't need to draft guards and centers early because you can find good ones in the middle rounds. Maybe that is true, but when it comes to receivers and DT's, we haven't been finding those guys.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 09:28 AM
I think it’s definitely the later … we don’t value those positions when it comes to winning football games. We clearly value them the least.

We didn’t even pretend to care about DT, and I fear for the day (probably soon) when Clowney doesn’t lineup with Garrett
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 10:53 AM
Rish, we were 6 and 10 the year before Stefanski arrived. We were 7-8-1 the year before that. He came in during Covid and somehow got new schemes installed and removed almost all the chaos and lack of discipline from the team. We went 11 and 5 that year. He was named NFL Coach of the Year. He took a QB who was playing like trash and schemed around him to highlight his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. He took almost all of the pressure off that qb and relied on the running game and OL to make the offense go. That qb had his best year in the NFL even though it had warts on it, such as the meltdowns against Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Last year, we went 8 and 9 w/the probably the worst starting qb situation in the league. Baker, Keenum, and Mullen all started games.

He endured the OBJ/Baker thing that threatened to shred the team into smithereens. He has fielded a competitive team this year despite the monumental distractions of the Watson affair and a significant proportion of the fan base that are still rooting for Baker. Think about the Watson thing for a moment. Who was left to answer almost all the questions on a daily basis from the media? Haslam? Depo? Berry? Or Stefanski? This team hasn't lost focus. They have not given up. There is no in-fighting this year.

Stefanski doesn't control the defense. That's the responsibility of Woods. Firing him in-season would only feed the media and fan frenzy that the Browns are a cluster blank. Maintaining stability is the wise choice at this particular point in time. I'm sure a lot is being said behind closed doors, but going public w/it would be a mistake. If a change needs to be made, it should occur at the end of the season.

Look, a portion of the fan base blames Stefanski for Baker's demise and parting w/the team. They claim that the injury was the reason he played so poorly last year, even though there are video breakdowns showing that Baker's lack of processing skills, his poor decision making, and inability to deal w/defenses that schemed to keep him in the pocket were his real downfall. Nope, they maintained and still maintain that it was the injury and Stefanski who held Baker back. Yet, when Baker became available, no one wanted him. Why couldn't the other GMs across the league see what are astute fans saw? Why didn't they recognize Stefanski sucked as a coach and the injury was the reason for Baker's poor play? Why didn't they realize that Baker was a great teammate and leader? Hell, we had to pay a good chunk of his salary just to get him out of the building. And what is Baker doing this year now that he injury free and away from the terrible coaching of Stefanski? He's the worst starting QB in the league.

Meanwhile, Stefanski has a journeyman qb playing very well. The guy is limited as a qb, but he has had us in position to win. I think Stefanski is going to be tested big time this year because of the adverse circumstances. Injuries to Myles and Clowney were tough to deal with. Even Walker was missed against ATL. Last year, the D eventually came around and played pretty good ball for most of the season. We need that to happen again. Our offense will not be explosive w/out Watson, but we can be solid on that side of the ball. They need help from the D.

The fan base and local media has been historically ignorant when it comes to evaluating coaches. They hated Belichick for crying out loud! Screamed loud that he should be fired and how stupid he was. He turned out to be the NFL's greatest all-time HC. They didn't like Marty, who was successful. They wanted Shanny fired and he is now very successful. They hated Bruce Arians who had success as an assistant in Pittsburgh, did a great job in Indy when Pagano had cancer, and won a Super Bowl w/Tampa Bay. They called Dabol a clown and he has had success w/other teams including Buffalo and he has already turned around the culture in New York.

Give it time. Let's see what Stefanski can do when he has a legitimate star QB. Be patient and don't listen to those who are butt-hurt over the Baker situation.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 11:34 AM
I was thinking about this when I saw someone’s post about Woods’ scheme. I admit that I know very little about X’s and O’s and how a team can be prepared and communicate on the field.

Maybe Woods has implemented a good scheme and plan for each week? I don’t know.

One thing I can observe: our players don’t play hard defensively, at least when I compare them to the good teams around the league. We aren’t urgent or flying around or gang tackling. We aren’t ballhawking or excited. We typically tend to be passive and unmotivated.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 11:37 AM
There are 16 teams with a 2-2 record.

The Browns are one of them. Parity is the NFL.

Since that is reality when you play without key players like Myles, Clowney, and Bryan, on defense. Those few plays that make the difference go the other way.

The Browns have played four games and three of the games has been razor thin close. The two loses could have gone either way and both went the wrong way.

The Browns invested heavily in a quarterback who is not playing. Because of that investment there are high draft picks playing on other teams.
The Browns are not getting the return on investment until Deshaun Watson plays.

GM's do not bat 1000. No GM hits the target on every try. Andrew Berry is an excellent GM.

Kevin Stefanski is a damn good head coach. It takes patience and experience to become a great head coach. The teams who succeed have patience.

Before this season began many were ready to give in and say it was a lost season. The Browns are tied for first place with thirteen games to go.

Honestly, I do not get all the crying and complaining.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 11:55 AM
You had me until you said Stefanski doesn't control the defense. And this is my entire point...he controls all of it. All the good he is doing on O is being erased by all the bad on defense and special teams.

He is currently an average head coach coaching an average 2-2 football team. And if he can't beat the Jets and Falcons, he can't beat Robert Saleh and Arthur Smith, it could get really ugly here soon.

I agree about the O. We have a real NFL offense. We can move the ball. We have an identity. We can score with subpar QB play. I agree with everything you say about Stefanski on the O side of the ball. But he's got to be better across the board. If it were just about the O, we'd be 4-0.

If Stefanski isn't careful he's going to become Baker 2.0. We'll be stuck with an average head coach, not because hes actually good, but because he's better than fhe previous guys.

Bottom line is he needs to be better.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 12:50 PM
I have a few questions for you. Does Shanahan coach SF's defense? Does Reid coach KC's D? Does McVay coach LA's defense? Does Taylor coach Cinci's defense?

I really don't get your point. It would be a mistake for Stefanski to take over the defense. That's not his area of expertise. He can fire Woods and hire another defensive coach, but he absolutely should not coach the D. And again, I don't think it would be wise to fire Woods right now. At the end of the year, it will be a possibility. However, let's not forget last year. We started off a bit rocky on D, but we had game w/the following point totals allowed: 6, 7, 14, 15, 16, 10, 16, 16, and 16. We gave up 24 to GB, but the D actually played well. We threw 4 picks on offense and we were put in bad situations all game long. Rodgers was the league's MVP.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 12:50 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 12:59 PM
Maybe I'm confused. Are you saying the head coach is the head coach in name only? If the head coach only works on one side of the ball, how could they be the head coach? I thought that's what a coordinator is.

What are the requirements of a head coach? Maybe I have an outdated view on that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 01:05 PM
LOL.....now you have me confused. LOL

Bottom line is we disagree on the job Stefanski is doing. I respect your opinion. No problem w/us disagreeing and there weren't even any personal insults during our exchange.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 03:14 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 03:18 PM
Gag.

Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 03:29 PM
@Vers.

I have no problem at all to admit that I’m inferior to your knowledge regarding American football. I have only been a supporter for 5 years and I’m still learning but better late then never. I’m almost 60 years old so my learning process is maybe a bit slower to when I was younger. Maybe you should help others with less knowledge then just being disrespectful whenever you disagree in a subject? Come up with good arguments helps. Just a thought.

Another question.

Do you think only football knowledge counts when it comes to judging managers, coaches and players?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 04:26 PM
That’s a terrible stat
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 04:29 PM
Gag.

And 12.5 points.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 04:40 PM
I really don't get your point. It would be a mistake for Stefanski to take over the defense. That's not his area of expertise.

...(DEFENSE)...NOT STEFANSKI'S AREA OF EXPERTISE..?

Stefanski graduated from St. Joseph's Preparatory School in 2000 and the University of Pennsylvania in 2004. Stefanski played defensive back while at Penn, being named the Quakers Freshman of the Year in 2000. He was part of the only undefeated Penn team of the decade and was twice an All-Ivy League selection... LINK

Stefanski is a product of the DEFENCE...playing the DB position in college...yet "IGNORING" football basics that are associated with something so simple as "PROPER TACKLING TECHNIQUES" by the Browns DBs and LBs.

I invite "anyone" to review the Browns game against the Falcons and tell me if performance turned by the Browns #43 is acceptable, on any level. If I had a High School player who turned the effort that #43 did against the Falcons, that HS player would not be playing on my team. Yet the Browns DC and HC accept that level of play from veteran players who should be setting an example for the young DBs. When the HC doesn't emphasis even the basics of how to tackle or impress upon his players what he expects of them pertaining to something as simple as how to tackle...it might be time to clean house..!!

Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 04:40 PM
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 04:47 PM

guys.....looks like we gotta find a way to cut the stadium power off once the 3rd quarter ends. then we'll be ok.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 05:05 PM
@Vers.

I have no problem at all to admit that I’m inferior to your knowledge regarding American football. I have only been a supporter for 5 years and I’m still learning but better late then never. I’m almost 60 years old so my learning process is maybe a bit slower to when I was younger. Maybe you should help others with less knowledge then just being disrespectful whenever you disagree in a subject? Come up with good arguments helps. Just a thought.

I do try and educate others about the game. I try and explain my opinions, just like I just did w/Rish. It doesn't bother me at all that he doesn't agree w/me. The conversation was civil. I will say that many posters have told me that they like reading my football analysis and don't respond because they don't want to get in the middle of things. I will say this......it's pretty hard to stay in a good mood when 5 posters follow you around and constantly want to fight. I've put them on ignore to try to stop the bickering, but it isn't helping much. The refs and other posters allow the personality conflicts to derail football topics.

As to your professed lack of knowledge. It's not a big deal even if that is true. Knowing football isn't exactly a great accomplishment. Wanting to learn is a great trait. I just don't like the guys who don't know what they are saying and resort to personal insults to win a supposed football discussion.

Another question.

Do you think only football knowledge counts when it comes to judging managers, coaches and players?

No, it's not the only thing that counts. I do think it helps. Guys complain about play calls and they don't even know how the play is run. They don't know the difference between Cover 2 and Cover 4. They don't recognize trap blocking vs gap blocking or even area blocking. It's a popular thing to question play calling and schemes, but I don't think it's wise to argue something w/such force if you aren't even sure what you are looking at. I would not trash a chef for which ingredients he puts in his creation or even the order he puts them in. I would not tell a doctor that he sucks at saving his patients because some of them don't survive the operation.

I think the emphasis on here is way more about egos and personalities rather than knowledge and the game of football. Just my opinion on things. Btw---you can always PM me if you have a football question. You seem like an eager learner. I'll answer if I am able and if I don't know the answer, I will tell you that, too. Heck, you can ask me on this forum, as well.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 05:17 PM
j/c

One has to believe that the issues at WR and DT lie in one of three directions. Actually nobody knows which one but are quick at trying to lay blame on someone, almost anyone. But there is certainly a disconnect somewhere in the chain of command.

We have one legitimate WR in Cooper. I know, I know people are going to spout about DPJ but let's face it, in the two games where Cooper laid an egg the best DPJ could do is 60+ yards. So potential isn't equaling success. More times than not it doesn't. The DT's are horrible and everyone knew it going into the season. So trying to blame that on scheme makes no sense. You can either stop the run when it's ran straight up the middle or you can't. You can either shed blocks or you can't. It's pretty basic math.

So what happened? There are different possible scenarios here and as I said, nobody really knows which one it is. So everyone can try to lay blame in any which direction they choose but they have no idea if they are right or wrong. Here is what I see as possible scenarios.....

You have the possibility that the coaching staff doesn't recognize these weaknesses and are telling the FO they are fine with the players they have at both WR and DT. I would find that to be a rather far fetched idea but I suppose it's certainly a possibility. We have a very good OL and one would think that the obvious weakness at the DT would rear its ugly head on a regular basis for them to clearly see. The same I would think would be true at the WR position. Sure our defensive backfield has blown a few coverages but that happens as much as that seems to be surprising to some fans. So one would think the weakness at the WR position would also expose itself in practices. So to blame the coaching staff for this one would have to believe they're blind as a bat.

Another possibility is that the coaching staff is relaying they need help in these departments and something in the analytics is telling the FO that these two positions are not a priority and that resources are better invested elsewhere. Analytics is a very valuable tool but if one uses it as the end all be all on everything sometimes it can bite you in the ass.

Another possibility, even though the self appointed football God of Dawgtalkers thinks it's a crazy idea and not possible, one must consider that the remaining salary cap rolls over to next year. While I have no idea how likely it is, there is also the possibility that they were waiting on the decision of the length of the suspension for watson. Once again, what would analytics tell you?

First let's look at Brissetts's career stats. It tells you he's a very capable backup. In both games two and three he played far above what his stats would indicate and that's a very good bonus. But the analytics when looking at his body of work thus far in the NFL can't predict something like that. And as we saw in game four he could be coming back down to earth.

Secondly let's look at how FA contracts work with aging veterans. They're players that you don't mind dating but you sure as hell don't want to marry them. They're usually signed to one or two year deals. So they're more like a band aid on a bullet wound.

So let's look at the scenario here. With a career backup for 11 games, what would the analytics say about you making it to a SB with a career backup QB playing for 11 starts? Because I know many of you see making the playoffs as some end goal. However that's only the beginning of the end goal. 14 teams make the playoffs. Almost half of the entire league. Watson wasn't signed to "make the playoffs". He was signed to win SB's.

So once again, what would analytics tell you? Would it be better to wait until next year to address the WR and DT positions with those rentals with the roll over from this years salary cap? Or would it be wiser to use that money this year when your chances of winning a SB are virtually non existent? I know, i know, you can't win a SB unless you make the playoffs first. I get it. But what it boils down to is do you invest that money in a year where watson plays 6 games or 17?

As an example..... Would the Browns have signed Cole Beasley and or Suh had watson only received a four or six game suspension?

I don't have the answer to that question just like the rest of you don't.

So go ahead and make your guess at who deserves to be sacrificed. I'm sure many of you will continue to do so.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 05:30 PM
Despite outcry, Browns offense is excellent on 4th down conversions

Cory Kinnan
October 3, 2022 7:59 pm ET

Whether it is liked by the fanbase or not, the Cleveland Browns are not going to stop going for it on 4th down. And they have good reason to stick with their process because they are quite good at it and they know it. The players love it, the analytics guys within the organization love it, and the 4th down attempts are not going to slow down.

Thus far in 2022, the Browns are tied for sixth in the NFL in 4th down conversions, executing on 66.67 percent of their attempts. On nine attempts this season, the Browns have converted six of them. This is a big step up from a year ago (gazes at the quarterback in Carolina), as the Browns converted just 41 percent of their attempts in 2021.

Using a full season’s worth of data a year ago, only the New England Patriots tallied a higher mark than what the Browns are currently toating through the first four games of the season. The average 4th down conversion rate a year ago was just under 52 percent as well. Over the past two seasons, the Browns are a total of 7-of-13 in the opposition’s redzone on 4th down as well.

This is a bet the Browns are willing to make every single time.

“We’re an aggressive offense. Stuff like that excites me. We’re not afraid to put it all on the line.” -TE David Njoku (via Mary Kay Cabot)

This is in their nature, their identity. They are a process-driven team, and Stefanski has said as much. The Browns are not going to compromise on that as it has been a staple of the Stefanski era thus far.

And they have no reason to despite a failed attempt on their opening drive against the Falcons.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
Posted By: Hammer Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 06:04 PM
most of the successful 4th down conversions were QB sneaks, i suspect, where Brisset is probably the best in the game.

in fact, it is something i pleaded with them to do on the 2nd and goal from the 1 at the end of the half against the falcons.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer
most of the successful 4th down conversions were QB sneaks, i suspect, where Brisset is probably the best in the game.

in fact, it is something i pleaded with them to do on the 2nd and goal from the 1 at the end of the half against the falcons.
Instead, we decided to run fades and PA and all this other stuff lol
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 06:29 PM
So there's maybe multiple parts to this ...

1 is the decision on whether to go for it or not
2 is the play call when going for it
3 is the actual distance. 4th and 3 is different than 4th and 1
4 is your success rate. At 41% success rate you are leaving points out there more often than not. At 66% it's going to be the right call nearly always.

I think a blanket statement saying it's always the right call is very misleading.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 07:27 PM
Good post. I know I'll probably go off the rails a bit here, so I apologize in advance.

Scenario #1: No way, no how. Before the Browns threw their hat in the ring of "The Watson Sweepstakes", we all knew that those were strong areas of weakness. DT was already a revolving door and our top two WR from a season before were gone. Nobody can be that stupid.

Scenario #2: Eh, I won't blame analytics because analytics went out the door once we paid the steep price for Watson. So, although analytics and ego were hand-in-hand leading to the decision, "just can't get it done with Baker" made that journey inevitable. If they thought Baker was no way, no how; none of the rest matters (at least not in their minds). One would have to think that analytics played a part though... we traded out of the second (#44) to stack a third and two fourths... analytics would say we were "draft poor" after the monumental haul given to the Texans for Watson. It's hard to look down the barrel of a 2022 draft and make any judgement on the talent we passed on by trading #44, but maybe analytics says that without can't-miss-talent at DT/DE, it's better to take more stabs at it?

DePodesta: "When I think of analytics, I just think of having sure frameworks to make decisions under uncertainty." This is where there is a disconnect... We created a world of uncertainty by trading for Watson. I think we were pretty sure that he would be suspended 4-6 games at the time; but we threw "certainty" out the window. So now that there wasn't certain talent to fill areas of need, we banked on the "analytics go to"... upside. That approach led to David Bell and Perrion Winfrey.

Scenario #3: Cap and rollover became the only bullets left in the chamber. While we waited on "the decision" we kept that close to the vest (as we should). Once the news of the suspension came to pass, preserving that was no-brainer. Uncertainty became the only word to even describe the upcoming season at that point. Going forward, our draft stock sucks for two more years. Much of the decision pertaining to how quickly we spend can't even be addressed until we see Watson on the field.

When we pursued Watson, a 4-6 game suspension was the expected outcome. Going forward was probably a lot more cut and dried if that came to pass. Instead, uncertainty became a storm that had us drowning, with no clear-cut answers to most decisions... as we waited... and waited. Once we met our fate with the 11 game decision, 2022 became "let's see what we have before we make any brash decisions". At that point, cap and rollover became the only tools toward improving beyond the talent we have on the roster today. It wouldn't be sacrificed unless we caught lightning in a bottle with Brissett. Next year we'll have a middle-of-the-road 2nd round pick as our only standout stab at the draft. Our third is an end of round comp pick. We'll have cap space and possible trade chips to address any other upgrades.

To add even more uncertainty -- if Brissett is the average QB we think he is, the defense doesn't "figure it out", and Watson doesn't appear to be "the savior we deserve" down the stretch; we may very well be "lol same 'ole Browns" to any high-profile free agents. So, open up the doors and let the same stench back in that we worked forever to rid from the halls in Berea. Now obviously, that's worst case scenario, but the job of "analyzing" is to reconcile all scenarios.

So yes... as certain as we (as fans) can be about scenario #1, we can be just as certain that the common-sense approach to moving forward is to hold the assets we have until we see how 2022 plays out. At least that's the way I see it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer

I agree w/both parts of your take. I think that was the one call that I really disagreed w/Stefanski on. I understood all the others, even if I wasn't in full agreement w/them.
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 08:41 PM
PFF GRADES THROUGH 4-weeks

TOTAL OFFENSIVE GRADES:
___________________________________zero players currently performing at Elite Level 90-100
___________________________________1 player currently performing at Pro Bowl Level 89-85
Chubb - RB - 88.5 - 1st of 57
___________________________________7 players performing at Starter Level 84-70
Teller - G - 82.3 - 2nd of 71
Brissett - QB - 77.6 - 6th of 33
Bitonio - G - 76.7 - 5th of 71
Conklin - OT - 75.7 - 14th of 70
Njoku - TE - 74.2 - 4th of 67
Cooper - WR - 70.3 - 33rd of 106
Pocic - C - 70.3 - 5th of 36
___________________________________9 players currently performing at Backup Level 69-60
Froholdt - C - 68.7 - NR
Hudson - OT - 67.4 - 32nd of 70
Hunt - RB - 66.8 - 26th of 57
Wills - OT - 63.1 - 42nd of 70
Schwartz - WR - 61.9 - NR
DPJ - WR - 61.6 - 71st of 106
Bryant - TE - 60.7 - 30th of 67
Johnson - RB - 60.0 - NR
Haeg - OT - 60.0 - NR
___________________________________5 players currently performing at Replaceable Level 59-0
Forristall - TE - 59.6 - NR
Bell - WR - 58.3 - 82nd of 106
Felton - WR - 56.1 - NR
Dunn - OT - 43.8 - NR
James - TE - 42.2 - NR

TOTAL DEFENSIVE GRADE
___________________________________1 player currently performing at Elite Level 90-100
Garrett - Edge - 91.6 - 2nd of 108
___________________________________1 player currently performing at Pro Bowl Level 89-85
Clowney - Edge - 89.2 - 8th of 108
___________________________________3 players currently performing at Starter Level 84-70
Walker - LB - 82.7 - 5th of 81 (Injured, out for season)
Takitaki - LB - 74.2 - 10th of 81
JOK - LB - 71.5 - 16th of 81
___________________________________3 players currently performing at Backup Level 69-60
Emerson - CB - 69.8 - 27th of 105
Bell - S - 64.4 - NR
Winfrey - DT - 61.3 - NR
___________________________________14 players currently performing Replaceable Level 59-0
Newsome - CB - 59.3 - 64th of 105
Bryan - DT - 58.3 - 65th of 124
Johnson - S - 56.4 - 56th of 82
Harrison - S - 55.3 - NR
Thomas - Edge - 51.6 - NR
Rochell - Edge - 50.3 - 97th of 108
Delpit - S - 50.0 - 70th of 82
Wright - Edge - 45.9 - 99th of 108
Ward - CB - 43.4 - 93rd of 105
Winovich - Edge - 42.4 - NR
Green - CB - 32.6 - NR
Elliott - DT - 29.5 - 123rd of 124
Phillips - LB - 28.8 - 80th of 81
Togiai - DT - 28.5 - 124th of 124

NR = Not Ranked due to not having snap minimum

SCALE:
100 - 90 = Elite level of play
85-89 = Pro Bowl level of play
84-70 = Starter level of play
69-60 = Backup level of play
59-0 = Replaceable level of play
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 08:56 PM

Local boy. Ran fast at combine but hasn’t done much in the league. Has returned a few kicks with Arizona.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 09:06 PM

Did the Browns WIN THE GAME...?

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS...!!

The only stats that matter are on the SCOREBOARD..!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 09:21 PM
j/c...

Bring him in.

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 09:22 PM
While I think not highly of you, you nailed it here. These "grades"? How do they matter? Who won, who lost, that is all that matters.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
While I think not highly of you, you nailed it here. These "grades"? How do they matter? Who won, who lost, that is all that matters.

arch...make no mistake, I think no less of you...

You are too young, too inexperienced and too uneducated to know that football players are never too old to learn.

Just because someone told you that all learning stops at a predetermined point, those who have played and taught the game of football know how wrong you are.

Take more time to learn life's lessons...then maybe you will understand... thumbsup
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 09:33 PM
You are so full of crap I'm surprised you can breathe.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by mac

Did the Browns WIN THE GAME...?

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS...!!

The only stats that matter are on the SCOREBOARD..!

I didn't say a thing about PFF grades through 4 weeks. Why the hell are you attributing that quote to me?

Furthermore, it says through 4 weeks. That is not ONE game. That's four games and the Browns have won 2 games. I understand you are still living in a cave and wear a sheepskin cape while carrying a big club around, but some of us have evolved and understand the importance of using data to further our knowledge.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 11:00 PM
I thought you didn't like name calling. Guess I was wrong.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/04/22 11:15 PM
I do know we were interested in Isabella before … not sure if that’s still the case
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 03:08 AM

guys.....looks like we gotta find a way to cut the stadium power off once the 3rd quarter ends. then we'll be ok.

Super Bowl, here we come!
Posted By: bugs Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 04:16 AM
Pitt, nice thought-out deduction.

You can't be great in every position because it's not cost-effective. As we can see, the FO pretty much spelled out where they want to invest.

I believe they are trying to specialize in both the DT and WR positions. It's always been difficult to find a quality 3T DT. I think their goal is finding inside-pass rushers/gap containment. As we saw Sunday, small DTs without DE support are a recipe for failure. Going forward unless we get lucky, Winfrey maybe, I would expect Berry continues to find DTs in mid to late rounds.

I feel the same way about the receiver position. They wanted a solid #1 receiver. Now they will fill in around Cooper with route runners and speedsters. On paper, Swartz, Bell, and DPJ are exactly what you are looking for. The real question becomes can they develop? These three don't need to be great simply reliable and consistent.

The biggest flaw in building the team in this way is your vulnerability if the main guys don't play. Then again, you are most likely unsuccessful if your main guys don't play regardless. I think it will take several years before the DT and WR position becomes stable.

Lastly, I believe Berry's primary goal is to stop the passing game and take their chances against the run. After all, very few teams have an effective run game. On the flip side, I think having an effective run game complements the passing game. Very few defenses are not built to stop the run. Teams are forced to contain the run game allowing less protection against the pass.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 12:48 PM
Film Room: LB Sione Takitaki is a consistent positive presense for Browns

Cory Kinnan
October 5, 2022 7:00 am ET

The Cleveland Browns have been anything but consistent on the defensive side of the football. However, one player who continues to play a sound and dependable brand of football is SAM linebacker Sione Takitaki.

Playing out his contract year with the Browns, Takitaki may be having his best season yet in Cleveland. And now with the mounting injuries defensively (especially losing Anthony Walker Jr. for the season), the Browns are already asking more of Takitaki. One has to wonder if they could ask even more of him as they try to fill the void at MIKE linebacker.

As the Browns enter Week 5 looking to rebound against the Los Angeles Chargers, we take a look at Takitaki’s tape from 2022 and where the 27-year-old linebacker could go from here.

What do the analytics say on Takitaki?
The former 2019 third round draft pick has been a dynamic run defender since entering the league. According to PFF, he has always posted strong run defense and tackling grades from his SAM post for the Browns.

Over the past two seasons, however, there has been a significant uptick in his coverage grade as well. His grade has improved by 30 points over from his first two seasons to his last two seasons.

Thus far in 2022, Takitaki is seeing some of his highest marks yet. His run defense grade may not be the highest it has ever been, but he still finds himself in the green with a grade of 66.6. His tackling grade sits at an excellent 81.6, with his coverage grade rising all the way up to 73.9. Takitaki currently sits with his highest pass rush grade of his career through four in 2022, as he touts a grade of 67.4. Overall, Takitaki is sitting with a career-high PFF grade with a total of 74.2.

Now that we have nerded out a bit on Takitaki for contextual purposes, we now turn on the tape.

A physical presense who is not afraid of contact

There are few players in the league who know their role is predominantly to do the dirty work and keep their teammates clean. Takitaki is one of those players who knows his role and is more than happy to do it.

His numbers will not show up in the scoreboard, but his reps sure do pop on tape. A physical presense on the defensive side of the football for the Browns, Takitaki is not afraid to take full backs and pulling blockers to fulfill his responsibility and make life easier on Jacob Phillips and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah.

His level of physicality and ability to blow up lead blockers has even proven to blow up entire run designs and give running backs nowhere to breathe. There is no other linebacker on the roster, and maybe even another player completely, who has the mentality to take on this job.

To pour even more favor into Takitaki’s lap, he has been charted on 82 special teams reps as well. Again, Takitaki is the kind of player worth keeping on your roster.

Assignment sound who is disciplined to his gap

The killer for the Browns’ defense against the Atlanta Falcons came down to the wandering eyes of Phillips on a handful of occasions. This is another reasons to feel comfortable should the Browns put more on Takitaki’s plate: he is a disciplined player who will not get his eyes caught chasing the football.

If Takitaki is responsible for setting the edge, he will set the edge. If he is responsible for playing the backside C-gap, you had better believe he will be in position to make a play should the ball carrier decide to attack a cutback lane. This is littered on his tape as Takitaki is a player the Browns can put on the field without fearing that he will work himself out of position.

And it helps that he has not been charted with a missed tackle through four weeks as well. The fourth-year linebacker is just a sound, solid football player when he is on the field.

He's even shown some savvy in coverage

Given that he is the SAM linebacker, Takitaki has not been asked to play in coverage a great deal. However, NFL teams love to throw the ball out of 12 and 13 personnel, packages where the Browns would realistically come out in base.

Takitaki has a couple highlight interceptions in his career as well, including a pick-six off of Carson Wentz in a 2020 victory, as well as a game-sealing interception to wrap up Cleveland’s first playoff win since returning in 1999 as well.

To much surprise, Takitaki’s framework in coverage is a bit more advanced than expected when watching his tape from this season back again. He shows the ability to feel out routes up the seam and crossers over the middle of field, shows no difficulty sticking running backs out of the backfield, and even trailing them down the field as well.

The Browns have already gotten to a desperate point at linebacker, where Takitaki was on the field 75 percent of snaps against the Falcons as opposed to his normal 20 percent. However, keeping their usual SAM linebacker on the field more often has not compromised their attack in coverage one bit.

What is next for Takitaki?
Takitaki is entering the last season of his contract with the Browns, and there is a great deal of unknown beyond 2022. As SAM linebackers are a dying breed (he typically plays around 18 snaps per game), his price tag should not be too steep.

The player he most compares to on the open market is linebacker Frankie Luvu, who plays for the Carolina Panthers. During the 2021 offseason, Luvu was given a two-year deal worth just $4 million annually. This is a deal the Browns should do for Takitaki in a heartbeat to keep one of their most consistent and physical defenders.

With Anthony Walker Jr. out for the season, and with Jacob Phillips continuing to struggle, the Browns may even want to consider plugging in Takitaki at MIKE. All he needs to do is do his job and remain disciplined, which is something Phillips has had difficulties doing.

He is assignment sound, a physical thumper, and has even shown a decent framework and solid instincts in coverage as well. The Browns already have a solid football player in Takitaki, but could make a move to try and pull even more out of him and the defense.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 03:43 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 03:51 PM
Well, he’s a good blocker
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 04:03 PM
Eight years ago Brown had a leg injury so bad they thought they would have to amputate.

He's never quite returned to form. At the time he was considered to be one of the best TEs in college and definitely helped Mariota win his Heisman.

6'6", 260lb Cleveland native who loves the game. Would love to see him contribute. Welcome back, Pharaoh!
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 04:17 PM
Well, he’s a good blocker

Yes, he is a load as a blocker ... I thought that he had a good game vs us with the Texans too.

Forristall gives good effort, but he is just at such a disadvantage blocking vs DEs'.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 04:31 PM
Thanks for the info. Sounds like it’s an upgrade then
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 04:34 PM
j/c...

I find it odd/interesting that they didn't list him as former Cleveland Brown Pharaoh Brown.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 04:42 PM
j/c...

Bring him in.

Meh, to me he's basically a lower ceiling Schwartz.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 04:51 PM
j/c:

Yup.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 05:05 PM
When you do not have patience with a head coach. You may lose a great one.

The history of NFL head coaches would be a good read for many who week to week overreact.

Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 05:08 PM
No doubt about it, and Butch is the only one close to him, but that doesn't make him above criticism.

It doesn't matter how good he is offensively if the defense poops the bed every week. He isn't the OC, he's the HC. He owns BOTH and is responsible for BOTH and he will get called out for BOTH.
Same thing goes for his 4th down calls. We've lost as many games to those as we did missed FG's last year and the same could be said for this year.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 05:14 PM
I agree w/Jason Lloyd. The guy is one of the better HCs in the league. The blame game by the fans who don't really know what they are talking about is ridiculous. I love this saying and coaches on every level can identify w/it.

“If you listen to the fans, you'll find yourself sitting with them”
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 05:58 PM
j/c...

I think Stefanski is a good coach. I think he has done very well with adapting an offense to Brissett. I fail to understand how every criticism is equated to placing him at the center of some Greek tragedy. Everyone has opinions, this is a message board. If you think this is bad -- go read a Steelers board -- a much larger contingent has been calling Tomlin a crap coach for years. They call for his head every time he doesn't win a Super Bowl.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 07:02 PM
Stefanski is an average head coach who has gotten average results.

Browns fans are enamored with him because he doesn't look like a slob, doesn't say stupid things, and has given the offense an identity.

None of those things make him a great head coach.

The results are what they are.

At this point you have to hope he can continue to grow into the role because starting over would be dumb.
Posted By: BCbrownie Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 07:44 PM
Relax already,he's about the 20th highest paid coach in the NFL.
One thing I know about economics is you get what you pay for.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 08:05 PM
I agree with you and made mention in another thread that the Browns are planning for next year with the cap money.

You can only do so much with assets. Everything surrounding this season is chancy. Trying to address weaknesses at DT and WR at he same time while playing a back up qb is difficult.

Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Yup.

Well if we forget about mediocre play calling on both O and D, how bad we sometimes look, the inconsistency and all the drama we had the last two seasons he’s great. One of the best ever.

Why focus on stupid things like results.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 09:20 PM
Not sure if you follow baseball but here is an analogy.

There is a scouting report on a hitter that is very detailed. There is a plan in place for how to pitch each batter. The catcher gets a signal and calls the pitch.

Sometimes the hitter gets beat. Sometimes they may hit a good pitch. None of the results mean the scouting report and plan is wrong.

A head coach has a game plan that is based upon a scouting report. The game situation can change plans. The HC calls a play based upon the best information available which includes favorable match-ups and other factors.

The players have to execute. Some of the players do. Some don't.

Does that make the head coach a bad coach if the play fails?
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 10:02 PM
Head Coach is the guy that takes responsibility for the team and how it performs. It's like the President of a Company takes responsibilty for how the company performs. The President doesn't make the product, design new products, he doesn't (typically) inspire the innovation, he doesn't make the sales calls or produce the marketing ... yet at the end of the day he is responsible.

If the players aren't executing, if the play calls are questionable on O and D, if they aren't being coached up/improving ... it is still on the HC. I think that's pretty straight forward. And I think some in their defense of Stefanski and rush to call others stupid for questioning him because the offense is performing (statistically) well - are dead wrong. Stefanski doesn't call the defensive plays - but he is still 100% responsible for that part of the team's performance, just as much as the O. When KS creates a game plan to help Brissett play well, he gets kudos. As he should. But if he is presiding over a team with poor tackling and miscommunication - he owns that too.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 10:30 PM
At the same time the plan can be great but if the players do not execute it is not on the HC.

In addition HC do not have control of injuries. The Browns are not good enough with starters let alone backups.

We have played 4 games. in my opinion I believe Stefanski has had good game plans. And called a decent game. Play calling can at times be overated.

I think Sunday's loss was more on personnel than coaching. The Jet loss was on coaching.

I am uncertain about Woods. But I think Stefanski is a good coach and he will get better. New head coaches have to gain experience.

I don't think it is wise to measure things week to week especially with a guy in his third season as head coach. Stefanski has done well and will improve.

Good organizations have patience. The Browns have not had patience. This is not a normal year there are many factors at play.

I think the Browns will win this Sunday if we can get the key guys back. We have to have a pass rush.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/05/22 11:05 PM
I tend to agree, my concerns are the players kept which KS must have an input into, some consistent play calling issues that have reared their head ovwr his entite time here, player development, and the D missteps which ultimately I feel a HC needs to address. I'm not nearly as down on KS as others but I'm becoming concerned if we don't see the results change, and that doesn't need to be wins with a back up QB and injuries to our best players, it means the issues being addressed amd visible differences in our worst performing areas.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 12:15 AM
j/c...

Bring him in.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 12:17 AM
When you do not have patience with a head coach. You may lose a great one.

The history of NFL head coaches would be a good read for many who week to week overreact.

Didn't BB coach somewhere before NE?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 01:02 AM
At the same time the plan can be great but if the players do not execute it is not on the HC.

That depends upon Why.
If they're simply incapable of executing it, that's one thing. Same with if the opponent player simply beats them.

If they willfully do something they shouldn't be doing, or don't know what to do... that's on the coach. Sure, maybe you give a pass the first time or two for a guy, but after that, the coach has to own that. It is his job to have them ready and to put the people out there that will do the job.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 05:46 AM

In addition HC do not have control of injuries. The Browns are not good enough with starters let alone backups.

We have played 4 games. in my opinion I believe Stefanski has had good game plans. And called a decent game. Play calling can at times be overated.

I think Sunday's loss was more on personnel than coaching. The Jet loss was on coaching.

I am uncertain about Woods. But I think Stefanski is a good coach and he will get better. New head coaches have to gain experience.

I don't think it is wise to measure things week to week especially with a guy in his third season as head coach. Stefanski has done well and will improve.

Good organizations have patience. The Browns have not had patience. This is not a normal year there are many factors at play.

I think the Browns will win this Sunday if we can get the key guys back. We have to have a pass rush.

Nobody suggests that he should get fired in the middle of the season and off course it’s not his fault that key players get injured outside the field, that our star QB get’s long term suspended or anything else outside his control, that’s not why he get criticized.

We’re underperforming! That’s undeniable.

We can discuss all night long about his pros and cons as a HC but when results isn’t there what do we do. Give him another 2-3 seasons to turn this around?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 09:14 AM
Not sure if you follow baseball but here is an analogy.

There is a scouting report on a hitter that is very detailed. There is a plan in place for how to pitch each batter. The catcher gets a signal and calls the pitch.

Sometimes the hitter gets beat. Sometimes they may hit a good pitch. None of the results mean the scouting report and plan is wrong.

A head coach has a game plan that is based upon a scouting report. The game situation can change plans. The HC calls a play based upon the best information available which includes favorable match-ups and other factors.

The players have to execute. Some of the players do. Some don't.

Does that make the head coach a bad coach if the play fails?
this is well said
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 11:07 AM
That is fair.

Depending upon the organizational chart of the team head coaches in todays game delegate.

It is a complex job. Berry makes the roster decisions. He consults with his coaches but he makes the final call.

Stefanski delegates Wood to defense. But he holds the responsibility for the team.

Your point about worst performing areas is spot on. That is a good measurement. You can not repeat mistakes.

Player development is tricky. A player is drafted. He should develop no matter where he is selected. However, sometimes you make a mistake and have to admit it. We drafted Schwartz in the third knowing he was a project. After a certain amount of time production must happen.

Stefanski IMO has the right demeanor for a head coach. I believe he is very open to learning. I like his attitude about win at all cost no matter the setbacks. The covid year under him was amazing. That was a challenge and he passed the test. We went into games missing entire position groups.

He is a bright guy and a good leader. I believe if a person exhibits the right make up. You have to stick with him. Continuity is a huge part in building consistency.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 12:17 PM
Before the season, you said you were not going to watch the Browns any longer. I remember you were happy about having your Sundays free. Have you changed your mind? If not, how can you state these things about the team?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 12:30 PM
There are many factors at play.

Results are not the only consideration.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 12:34 PM
Before the season, you said you were not going to watch the Browns any longer. I remember you were happy about having your Sundays free. Have you changed your mind? If not, how can you state these things about the team?

What does that ^ have to do with football? Or the thread topic? Or your boy Baker?
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 12:35 PM
Opinions change I don't remember Purple saying that but you probably are right of course Purple would know better than anyone. I know it was a little depressing and it looked like the FO was giving up on this season. We gave up a lot for a QB who has some real issues on his charts. I feel the season is lost. I'm a fan so I am there every game, if younger I probably would take 3-4 youth teams who play on Sundays. But once football started I slowly got on board. I still have a problem with rooting for Watson but that time has yet to come.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 12:37 PM
Berry makes the roster decisions. He consults with his coaches but he makes the final call.

Stefanski delegates Wood to defense. But he holds the responsibility for the team.

I agree w/this. Of course Stefanski ultimately is responsible for the team. However, he should not be directly involved in taking over the defense. That's Woods' job.

Thus, what can Stefanski do? He has meetings w/his coordinators. They review things. They discuss possible changes. Woods will act on those suggestions. He is either successful or not.

The biggest issue w/the Browns D in the first 3 games was blown coverages and protecting against big plays late in games. It was pretty obvious that the secondary played a lot better in game 4. Atlanta completed 7 passes. Not in the 4th quarter. That number was for the entire game. Yet, fans come on here and say no adjustments are being made.

I'd say being down 3 starters on your DL and your leader on defense [Walker] might have had some influence on our run defense late in that last game. And 3 out of those 4 players were in top group of highest graded players on our team by PFF. But, of course.......Stefanski is inept.

Now, what else can do to help the defense in addition to what I mentioned above? He can replace Woods. I see no one on this current staff that is even remotely qualified to be a DC of a professional football team. I think firing a DC this early in the season would only bring on more scrutiny and create a sense of panic. After a tumultuous off-season, this team is starved for stability and calm and stable leadership. The bye week is a possibility to make a change if the D is still faltering, but I don't think that is such a good idea. I think at the end of the year, Stefanski and Berry can sit down and do a thorough evaluation of the defensive staff. If they determine that Woods and his d-coaches are not getting it done, that would be the most logical and intelligent time to make a change.

I believe that both men are far too intelligent to make rash, emotional decisions due to the influence of emotional and irrational outside influences. The concern is whether or not one of the emotional and irrational influences might be on the inside and he is also the owner of the team. We need Depo--the ultimate salesman and influencer--to work his magic on Jimmy once again.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 01:03 PM
More Guardrails...that will fix everything.. thumbsup
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

What does that ^ have to do with football? Or the thread topic? Or your boy Baker?

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 01:10 PM
There are many factors at play.

Results are not the only consideration.

I agree...but with an opposite conclusion about that in the case of the Browns. There is a pattern of blown communication on the defense. Even if we won the (2) games we lost/pissed-away this year I would still be concerned about that pattern...a pattern that carried over from last year.

Our DTs are well below average. Unknowing fans such as myself could see that coming...AND could predict what the Falcons did on (14) straight plays that we had no prayer of stopping...our DTs were poor last year as well.

Leaving points on the field and repeatedly crapping our boxers in the redzone is a very concerning pattern...whether we won or lost a game dong just that.

Chubb on the bench at critical moments is a pattern...and a carryover from last year.

When the HC's nose is buried in the Waffle House play sheet how can he be managing the rest of what is going on? The apparent answer is that he can't - or simply isn't - managing the other facets of gameday.

Saleh goes to a moribund Jets team and has them looking ready to play...regardless of whether they throw out a dinosaur or newbie at QB...Peterson goes to the absolute shat-show that Urban created and they look like a team that knows what they want to do - whether they have the horses to do it or not. BB's OC takes a 3rd string QB and gives the Packers all they could handle.

Coaching makes a huge difference at the professional level. Every guy on the 90 man preseason roster is a stud athlete. (37) of those guys move on. Of the (53) that remain, there are a few like Chubb who are even more studly than the other absolute studs. Coaching up guys who have been studs their entire life to reach even greater heights is not something that every coach can pull off. Having "subordinates" who make more $$$ than their bosses is something that only happens in professional sports. Some coaches are HC material and some are wannabes. Look around the league and tell me how many "good-to-great" HCs are also playing the role of OC...when you find them...look at the weapons they have on offense and how their defenses perform...we aren't those teams with those guys.

I'm not up for firing Ski in mid-season. This season was lost months ago...and the next (2) draft don't have a 1st Rd pick. But I would look into Sean Payton for '23 (and start courting him now)...we will need a HC who is the guy-in-charge when the $230,000,000 man gets in the huddle...not a HC stuck in the role - and mind - of an OC.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 01:13 PM
With the missing defensive players in the Falcons game I thought the defensive plan was a good one.

Overall the plan worked from the standpoint of limiting the strengths of the Falcon's offense.

Woods made adjustments.

There is no way I would fire Woods now. At the end of the season everything gets reviewed. Then it has to be determined what needs to happen.

At this stage I back the Browns orc. chart. Berry and Stefanski are bright guys who work well together. The communication inside the building from what I can tell is very good.

I like growth and improvement over change and the unknown.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 01:40 PM
J/C

This is something that I “argue” about with some friends and family members who aren’t fans of Stefanski. Their argument: “he has no fire, doesn’t yell or scream or seem to care.”

IMO, his demeanor is the RIGHT way to coach for lasting success. I think he’s a good leader and very mindful. Sometimes yelling, screaming coaches wear out their welcome very quickly.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 01:59 PM
That's a valid point. The loud, emotional coaches are often successful early on. They are usually good motivators. However, that style often grows stale after multiple years. It's not a blanket statement, but I think you have a very good point.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 02:24 PM
There have been many styles of head coaches in the NFL.

Landry, Paul Brown, Dungy, Cowher, Madden.

It is not about yelling and spitting. It is about who gets the most from their players and can lead a team.

IMO the Browns have had two of the greatest coaches in NFL history. Paul Brown and Bill Belichick.

Those two guys were very similar.

Smart, innovative, with extreme attention to detail. Both dictators.

I like Stefanski. I think he has done a great job. I also believe he will improve. He is willing to adapt and change and that is important.
Posted By: Floquinho Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 02:34 PM
J/C

This is something that I “argue” about with some friends and family members who aren’t fans of Stefanski. Their argument: “he has no fire, doesn’t yell or scream or seem to care.”

IMO, his demeanor is the RIGHT way to coach for lasting success. I think he’s a good leader and very mindful. Sometimes yelling, screaming coaches wear out their welcome very quickly.

There's no right or wrong way to succeed as a HC. They all have their own recipe to get results.

How do you know Ski is a good leader and what's the definition of a "good" leader?
Is there a blue print for being a "good leader"?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 02:40 PM
J/C

There's no right or wrong way to succeed as a HC. They all have their own recipe to get results.

How do you know Ski is a good leader and what's the definition of a "good" leader?
Is there a blue print for being a "good leader"?
I’d say someone who is able to communicate, be consistent, organized, forward thinking, innovative, and in-tune with both their team strengths/weaknesses and their opponents strengths/weaknesses.

I’m not in the locker room and don’t know anything more than you do, but i’d venture to guess KS checks off more boxes than not. But, maybe I’m wrong and he’s horrible. Who knows.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 03:55 PM

I own this site, so I can't just go away, beg that my account be banned, and not come here when there is a player I don't like on the roster, unlike someone else around here.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 03:58 PM
For 50% of the game, Ski's nose is stuck in the Waffle House menu. How much input can he possibly be getting from the various offensive position coaches during that time? Offense, defense or STs? How much interaction can he have with officials? Working them like Tomlin does incessantly?

For the other 50% of the game, his DC is 'busy' running the defense. How much can Ski possibly work with the defensive coaches while they are actively coaching?

By default, he is coaching 50% of the game.

This has been an issue since he's been here.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 04:27 PM
I think what people are missing is that consistent play calling leads to predictability. If you always rely on the same method in the same situations, you are working against what your opponent is set up to defend. Calling plays to catch your opponent off guard isn't a bad thing. Teams do it all the time and it works quite often. It's only a bad thing and gets second guessed when it does not work.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 06:54 PM
On the bright side, the whole division is having issues, and we are still in a good position at 2-2
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater

I own this site, so I can't just go away, beg that my account be banned, and not come here when there is a player I don't like on the roster, unlike someone else around here.

I wasn't suggesting any of that. It was a legit football question. I was wondering if you changed your mind and started watching or if not, what was fueling your stance since it came across as so definitive.

Never mind. Sorry I asked and I won't make that mistake again.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 08:13 PM
It was a legit football question..

No, no it wasn't. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/06/22 08:16 PM

rofl Sure it was !! 100% football.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 12:58 AM

Thank you for saving me the time.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 01:30 AM
It was totally legitimate. You said you weren't going to watch the games. You are commenting on the games. That begs the question "are you watching the games?".

I'm struggling to figure out why that's not a legitimate question.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 01:36 AM
Is it? If he's commenting on the games, he's obviously watching the games. Why beat around the bush (league)? Call him "liar, liar" and move on with your life instead of asking dumb questions.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 01:43 AM
1. I would venture to guess a good portion of the people that comment on the game didn't watch it. I think you would be surprised.

2. It's a dumb question because you guys don't like him.

3. The gang mentally you guys engage in is asinine.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 02:58 AM
Prp made some very specific posts about what he was seeing on the field. Saying some people don't watch the game is a cop-out for a smart ass remark made by the poster in question.

For some there is no reason to like him; snide remarks, bogus conclusions about other's posts, and hiding behind "j/c..." while he obviously is responding to a specific post is high school bs. In short, he acts like a child. A pouty child. Now he's pouting about you because you compared Baker's "excuses" to the excuses being made for this crap fest we see on the field. That's one of the reasons you posted above, he already sent you a cease and desist in a PM; I'd bet on it.

There is no gang mentality. He makes it a habit to call people out by name while also grouping them into imaginary factions... "bullies", Baker Boys", "guys who never played the game", "people who don't understand football". I've been on the web since Al Gore stuck the plug in the wall and I've never seen anything like it. Since he quit and came back, it's worse than ever... people calling him out on it is not "gang mentality".
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 03:58 AM
No kidding. You left off your list the fact that he is the biggest bully on the board and I have seen a minimum of 3 different posters comment that he is the reason they don't post more. And who can forget the PMs telling posters what to do .... I still have mine where he implies he might take legal action for deformation 🤣
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 12:30 PM
I wonder which move evicted the most reaction out of Browns
Fans here....the Browns showing Mayfield the door or
Trading for DeShawn Watson?
Posted By: eotab Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 12:34 PM
superconfused Did THROW LONG steal your account???
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 12:53 PM
You think I would kowtow to a PM telling me to do something? That's laughable. If I ever got a PM of that nature by someone on here I would amplify what I am being accused of...rub salt in the wound until it was unbearable. I'm vindictive like that.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 12:56 PM
It was totally legitimate. You said you weren't going to watch the games. You are commenting on the games. That begs the question "are you watching the games?".

It was a legitimate question. I was wondering if he changed his mind about watching the games. That would not be a sin. I was curious because he was speaking in a "voice" that was absolutely sure of what he was saying.

No one should be surprised that the same folks who dictate what people can say on this board jumped all over it. They are permitted to get away w/it. Hell, the other day, I was accused of masturbating because I posted PFF numbers for Jacoby and Baker. No suspensions. They even left the post up. Pure Football, baby. There are reasons why so many long-time posters left. The ugly tone of the Political forum has made its way to other forums and if you take a look, it's the same guys who post a lot in both forums that cause most of the trouble.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Browns News & Notes - 10/07/22 01:02 PM

It was a legitimate question. I was wondering if he changed his mind about watching the games. That would not be a sin. I was curious because he was speaking in a "voice" that was absolutely sure of what he was saying.

No one should be surprised that the same folks who dictate what people can say on this board jumped all over it. They are permitted to get away w/it. Hell, the other day, I was accused of masturbating because I posted PFF numbers for Jacoby and Baker. No suspensions. They even left the post up. Pure Football, baby. There are reasons why so many long-time posters left. The ugly tone of the Political forum has made its way to other forums and if you take a look, it's the same guys who post a lot in both forums that cause most of the trouble.
I noticed Diam Dawg and Overtoad don't post on here anymore
© DawgTalkers.net