DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/20/23 11:50 PM
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/20/23 11:53 PM
I like this move.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/20/23 11:54 PM
This is very welcome news (imo).

Didn't expect it, but glad it happened.

I don't know if this makes it more likely or less likely that we bring in a "known name" veteran to tinker around with the #2 spot. Probably less likely.

Mond to another team before or during camp/preseason I guess.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 12:18 AM
solid signing for a backup. nice to see Dobbs was willing to come back too
Posted By: steve0255 Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by AZBrown

I don't know if this makes it more likely or less likely that we bring in a "known name" veteran to tinker around with the #2 spot. Probably less likely.

Do not know the feelings about Mond or the pursuit of another vet QB, but surely the Browns will be carrying 3 QB's whether the 3rd is Mond or someone else - carrying less than 3 is team suicide.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 01:15 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 01:33 AM
The only backup that truly made sense and could be had cheaply. A QB room reunion!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 01:52 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
solid signing for a backup. nice to see Dobbs was willing to come back too

Agree.. solid back up...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 10:48 AM
Glad he was signed.

When I started the backup qb thread I was not comfortable with Mond.

Dobbs is a good add. He is a smart guy and is mobile. He has some experience and knows the Browns.

All good welcome back Josh.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 11:56 AM
[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by AZBrown

Do not know the feelings about Mond or the pursuit of another vet QB, but surely the Browns will be carrying 3 QB's whether the 3rd is Mond or someone else - carrying less than 3 is team suicide.

I agree. Somebody is going to be around in some capacity to be the 3rd QB. Short of signing somebody like Mariotta, having Dobbs and Mond is about as good as we can expect at the position. Both play similar styles as Watson. It does little good to have a starting QB who can move in space to back him up with a drop back statue.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 12:06 PM
j/c:

The only team in the NFL with TWO QBs on fully guaranteed contracts!

#ChessNotCheckers

brownie
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 12:27 PM
Berry continues his great job during FA. We are not going to pay a lot of money to backup qbs given Watson's contract. Dobbs knows the fundamentals of our offense, has familiarity w/coaches and Watson. I think the best part of this move is Dobbs' intelligence. Big Ben used to talk to Dobbs after each series when both were in Pittsburgh. Dobbs will be a great asset to Watson, especially on game days and game prep.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

The only team in the NFL with TWO QBs on fully guaranteed contracts!

#ChessNotCheckers

brownie

Now other teams will complain about not being able to sign backup quarterbacks because of this.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 03:04 PM
Great signing.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 09:34 PM
Great news! Sentimental favorite of mine. Right guy, thumbsup brownieright price & contract IMO. Hope he performs well. Win us some games, Josh!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 10:06 PM
Dobbs is a very solid backup. Has quickness and smarts (field awareness). Early in the 2022 season there were times I thought we should give him some PT. Not that I would ever complain about Jacoby’s work, but Dobbs has an elusiveness that JB doesn’t. I wouldn’t be uncomfortable if JD had to take over for a game or three.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Great news! Sentimental favorite of mine. Right guy, thumbsup brownieright price & contract IMO. Hope he performs well. Win us some games, Josh!

I don't know Bard. I liked him being brought back, but I hope he doesn't have to perform at all. Maybe a few in game snaps if Watson's helmet comes off and he has to exit for a play, then 4th qtr mop up duty in a Browns 30 point win.

But, if he does, given our money situation where we can't have a Mariotta on the bench, I like Josh. He can run, and as a back-up, he is probably going to have to run some.

As the coach, I would say look at 2 progressions. If they aren't open, don't even go to the 3rd. There is no 3rd. Just tuck it and run it. Slide when the time comes, then see where we are at that point. If you get to the LOS, that is good.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/21/23 10:09 PM
I agree that I hope Dobbs doesn't have to play a game. I'm good w/him getting a few snaps in mop-up time when we have a huge lead.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/22/23 01:01 PM
Josh is not Jacoby but he is ok as a backup.

Like most teams if you lose your starter. You are not going to be as good a team.

You hope if your starter misses a few games. The backup can hang in there and hopefully win a game or two.

If you have to depend upon them for to long a time. You are most likely in trouble.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/22/23 03:24 PM
Agreed Bone but I think there is room for Josh to grow and get better. How much better I don't know but at least some improvement.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/22/23 11:17 PM
Thinking of Dobbs from last year in pre season, I didn't think he was bad at all... Moves good and decent arm...
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Sign Josh Dobbs - 03/23/23 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Thinking of Dobbs from last year in pre season, I didn't think he was bad at all... Moves good and decent arm...

Kid is smart as a whip... don't think he's the most physically able guy.... but he's a solid back up with a great head on his shoulder.... agree with you on the arm...
© DawgTalkers.net