DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 02:52 PM
well, it's worth a shot

Mary Kay Cabot
@MaryKayCabot
·
1m
Updated: #Browns sign Kareem Hunt to a one-year deal worth up to $4 million to help replace Nick Chubb
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 02:53 PM
GOOD. And another team friendly inking by Hunt.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 02:55 PM
Welcome back. Expectations are low based on his performance last year.

The signing makes sense given the circumstances, however.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 03:10 PM
So we could’ve kept him the entire time.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 03:11 PM
I would have preferred James Robinson. But, I'll take it.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 03:29 PM
A good thing because of familiarity. He is coming back to his last home.

He will be used in a running back by committee.

He is a good pass receiver and blocker.

He is no longer a bell cow type back. But he will fit into a role for the offense.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
A good thing because of familiarity. He is coming back to his last home.

He will be used in a running back by committee.

He is a good pass receiver and blocker.

He is no longer a bell cow type back. But he will fit into a role for the offense.

no longer a bell cow back? why? because he's a whopping 4 months older than chubb, he had one off year, the year before averaged 5ypc. I think he had some lingering thing last year that reduced his effectiveness. I think he will be fine
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 03:38 PM
Great deal for Hunt and the Browns.
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 03:41 PM
What should help Watson (read: reduce whatever excuse he has left) is Kareem being a good catcher and able to easily catch dump off passes and turn them into big gains.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 03:52 PM
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 03:52 PM
Good signing. Glad to have Hunt back.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 04:12 PM
We gonna Funt on dem hoes.

Doesn't have quite the same ring. But I'm glad he's back.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 04:13 PM
we have to strictly use him in passing situations. Don't let him wear himself out in the box or getting the tough yards. Let him pass block and receive with fresh legs
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 04:37 PM
Good news. Now we need a LT that can at least slow down a pass rusher.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
we have to strictly use him in passing situations. Don't let him wear himself out in the box or getting the tough yards. Let him pass block and receive with fresh legs

This is how he worked his way into our offense the first time, and probably would work well again. I'm really hoping last year was the result of some sort of nagging injury, and he's able to work up to being "the guy".
Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 04:44 PM
He might have a resurgence with more carries and catches. He’ll probably play hungry now that he’s experienced a 2nd dry spell. And he’s a very stabilizing presence for the locker room, which we desperately need right now. This makes a lot of sense to me. We’re not replacing Chubb with one back no matter what. I like this move a lot. Hell, he could probably be ready to go this Sunday assuming he’s in shape.
Posted By: redddog Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 04:45 PM
This is gonna be the feel-good story of the year.

Hunt comes back as an old re-tread because his best buddy and Cleveland hero goes down. With expectations for him somewhere between a washed-up has been and a decoy, he not only sets records for Cleveland running backs but wins the rushing title enroute to their first Superbowl appearance. Chub, after successful full-knee replacement watches from the sidelines as Cleveland wins a nail-biter over the Philadelphia Eagles 27-24.

D-hop with the last second field goal from the 55 to ice it.

Write it down, boys.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 09:01 PM
The reason why he was not resigned before was they felt he was slowing down.

He has not been a lead runner since he was in KC.

Not a problem to use him in combination with others.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
The reason why he was not resigned before was they felt he was slowing down.

He has not been a lead runner since he was in KC.

Not a problem to use him in combination with others.

He is coming in 10 lbs lighter than last season

Might just get his juice back

Last season was a bad season

players have bad seasons

lets hope this is a Dang bro ! look at you go !

Season !!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 10:47 PM
Good news.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Good news.
He has some fire in him. I cant think of any current O player with the fire of Hunt. Glad he is back hope it rubs off.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/20/23 11:41 PM
He does have some edge, but more importantly will he wear 27?
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by BADdog
Good news.
Glad he is back hope it rubs off.

Hopefully, on Dehsuan.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Originally Posted by BADdog
Good news.
Glad he is back hope it rubs off.

Hopefully, on Dehsuan.
let's refrain from using the word rub with DeShaun lol
Posted By: jaybird Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

That's my feeling... singing makes sense... he can get up to speed faster than any other available back....
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 05:32 AM
It would be awesome if Kareem dedicated this season to Nick Chubb.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 08:51 AM
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by Milk Man

That's my feeling... singing makes sense... he can get up to speed faster than any other available back....

Probably, but it will take a while to get in to game shape. If he is to take over the lead back role, it will probably be after the bye...and if Ford plays well he will be the lead back. That said, no matter who is called lead back, carries between the two will probably be a somewhat equal split as the season moves on.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 11:02 AM
let's refrain from using the word rub with DeShaun lol

Aw geez.....lol
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 12:35 PM
I saw the same thing everyone else did last year, but he is not old, and he doesn’t have that much mileage on him. He led the league in rushing once. And he has a Joe Cribbs-level love for the Browns.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 01:31 PM
I am usually very optimistic, but this signing has me feeling a bit cautious. There are teams out there that could use a solid backup and $4 M isn't a lot, so it surprises me he wasn't signed by anyone prior to this. I am not saying he has the same ability, or similar attitudes, but his signing taking this long, reminds me of the 2 times we signed Clowney. It just concerns me why he was still available.

I hope my concerns are unfounded.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 01:33 PM
I knew that is what Berry was going to do. Welcome back Kareem!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 01:50 PM
I think we signed him to give the fans a new hero once Chubb went down. We needed something to rally around ... JMO, but they're going to use Kareem as a battle cry more than actual production
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
I am usually very optimistic, but this signing has me feeling a bit cautious. There are teams out there that could use a solid backup and $4 M isn't a lot, so it surprises me he wasn't signed by anyone prior to this. I am not saying he has the same ability, or similar attitudes, but his signing taking this long, reminds me of the 2 times we signed Clowney. It just concerns me why he was still available.

I don't think anyone is paying a backup that kind of jack. Zeke signed for a shared role in New England for the same 4M, that's about as close as you'll get, and basically the same thing we're seeing here. (Zeke is 12 - 42 with a fumble btw)

Hunt did exactly what I would do if I was a RB in the league, and I think he was always going to be the first signing after a team lost a marquee starter.

I'm not saying that means he's in tip-top shape, just saying that him still sitting was about 80% economics and 20 everything else.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/21/23 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

I don't think anyone is paying a backup that kind of jack. Zeke signed for a shared role in New England for the same 4M, that's about as close as you'll get, and basically the same thing we're seeing here. (Zeke is 12 - 42 with a fumble btw)

Hunt did exactly what I would do if I was a RB in the league, and I think he was always going to be the first signing after a team lost a marquee starter.

I'm not saying that means he's in tip-top shape, just saying that him still sitting was about 80% economics and 20 everything else.

In context, if a player is the guy you are missing, why not $4m? Would we pay $16 million in salary (Nick's 12 & Hunt's 4) to have Nick back right now? The NFL undervalues RBs so why is it a big deal if Nick goes down? Apparently, listening to sports media, RBs aren't worth it so just plug someone in. I watched what appeared to be Hunt missing open holes last year and seemed slower. I will say not many fights for yards like Hunt does. Hopefully it pans out.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/23/23 02:32 AM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/24/23 09:01 PM
I figured Hunt would be used sparingly today. I hope to see him get more carries next week. I still think he’s the best rB on the roster not named Chubb.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/24/23 10:24 PM
I think Ford will take on a bigger load as the season progresses…
Posted By: Swish Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/24/23 10:51 PM
Definitely got his feet wet today. We’re gonna need him against the ravens big time IMO
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/24/23 11:37 PM
we need him out of the backfield and to spell Ford, jus like he did today
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
I think Ford will take on a bigger load as the season progresses…

I agree. The kid is good. Some fans haven't figured it out yet, but Hunt is here as the change of pace guy.

We drafted Ford to be the lead guy at some point. The point is now and he has played well. He doesn't deserve to lose reps to Hunt as lead back. At least not from what I have seen.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 02:22 AM
Ford is not a featured back. He's a decent backup
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 02:28 AM

What says that? I don't think the stats do
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 01:30 PM

Today, no. But he's taken steps in each game this year. His slow and steady progress is nice to watch.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 01:31 PM
Ford made a really nice move on his TD catch. Nice nuanced route
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 02:29 PM

Our OL hasn't played very well. Ford's been able to turn negative plays into positive plays multiple times. There were times when he was navigating traffic at or behind the LOS that I thought he looked quite Chubb-like. I don't think he has the pure power of Chubb, but he's done rather well, imo.
Posted By: Greenbayfan Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 02:32 PM
I’m truly sorry about Chubb guys. That just sucks. I still think you guys can make the playoffs. Your defense is looking tough.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 03:17 PM
I'm not sure why anyone thinks this FO would sign a FA RB to a four million dollar contract to spell a guy who is playing at a fraction of that cost. If all they were looking for was a utility back to spell the starter they could have found a much cheaper option to play that role.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

Ford has 160 yards with a 3.8 YPC and 50% of his yards to date have come on one play. Remove that one play... he's basically averaging what he did last year 2.25 YPC.

Meanwhile, Chubb was averaging 6.1 YPC with the same OL and a long of 20.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 03:21 PM
How many NFL RB numbers compare to Nick Chubb?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
How many NFL RB numbers compare to Nick Chubb?
lol, like zero
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 04:32 PM
I'm not sure why anyone thinks this FO would sign a FA RB to a four million dollar contract to spell a guy who is playing at a fraction of that cost. If all they were looking for was a utility back to spell the starter they could have found a much cheaper option to play that role.

Most $4 mill backups I would agree, but I think Hunt brings a "reckless abandon" to this team. Just how hard he runs and yesterday when he hurdled tacklers, I think it brings some aggressiveness energy and enthusiasm to the offense.

Time will tell if it was a smart move, but to me he brought something beyond just his carries yesterday.

Just my opinion, and I am certainly no expert. I was even of the opinion before we signed him that Hunt had lost a step, hopefully it turns out to be a wise addition.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 04:38 PM
I don't really disagree with you to a point. I just think to bring reckless abandon to a team you must do it on the field. That's why I don't think they just shelled out $4 mil. for a backup to Ford.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 04:43 PM
Well, the good news is the contract is really 1.5 million. That's a good deal for us. I think it was an attitude signing more than anything, so I agree
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 04:53 PM
Well, the good news is the contract is really 1.5 million. That's a good deal for us. I think it was an attitude signing more than anything, so I agree

Also, a mentor signing since Ford is a young player and just lost Chubb. His experience is needed since we lost Chubb's experience. I am not sure why Hunt is a debate. It was a good pick up and we were lucky he was still available. He produced yesterday with less than 1 week of preparation.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 05:08 PM
The debate is how large his role is intended to be.

FWIW, I don't really buy the story that Hunt has lost a step. He definitely had a down year last season and looked sluggish, but IMO he's not old enough and doesn't have enough miles on him to be breaking down like that. He had the monster rookie year, but then didn't play a full season after that (suspension). It took him a couple seasons here to get up to heavier usage as he's always been the backup.

He's not 30 yet, and he hasn't even gone over 1k carries for his pro career.

I think he was dinged or something last year that was making him look bad.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 05:10 PM
good points
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 06:10 PM
I don't really disagree with you to a point. I just think to bring reckless abandon to a team you must do it on the field. That's why I don't think they just shelled out $4 mil. for a backup to Ford.

When opposing defensive players look at our RB roster and see Ford… it raises no eyebrows. He hasn’t earned respect or fear. Not saying he won’t, but right now opposing LB’rs aren’t worried about being gashed by Ford. When those same defensive players see Hunt on the field… they have to have a different level of respect. He’s earned it. They know if they mess up he can gash them.
Having Hunt in our stable of backs brought back some level of legitimacy, respect, and fear that was lost when Chubb went down.
They psychological aspect has to be considered.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Greenbayfan
I’m truly sorry about Chubb guys. That just sucks. I still think you guys can make the playoffs. Your defense is looking tough.

Welcome to the board! Thank you, we can only hope. Nice W yesterday. We have seen that type of collapse before from the D coordinator you went up against.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg

When opposing defensive players look at our RB roster and see Ford… it raises no eyebrows. He hasn’t earned respect or fear. Not saying he won’t, but right now opposing LB’rs aren’t worried about being gashed by Ford. When those same defensive players see Hunt on the field… they have to have a different level of respect. He’s earned it. They know if they mess up he can gash them.
Having Hunt in our stable of backs brought back some level of legitimacy, respect, and fear that was lost when Chubb went down.
They psychological aspect has to be considered.

I'm fine with defensive players sleeping on Ford and giving him easy TDs. Just saying.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 10:28 PM

Ford has 160 yards with a 3.8 YPC and 50% of his yards to date have come on one play. Remove that one play... he's basically averaging what he did last year 2.25 YPC.

How do you remove a run?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/25/23 10:54 PM
Plus , he had a lot of garbage-time carries versus Cinci, when they knew we’d be running. The Yards per rush average is somewhat misleading. He’s made some plays for us, say my eyeballs
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/26/23 01:41 AM

How do you remove a run?

you remove the outlier on each side (good and bad) to get a better representation of his expected output.

He is playing like a 2.25 ypc back.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/26/23 01:42 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/26/23 01:50 AM
Hunt will be good for us. His personality is good for a team
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/26/23 02:53 AM

How do you remove a run?

you remove the outlier on each side (good and bad) to get a better representation of his expected output.

He is playing like a 2.25 ypc back.

That's one way of looking at it. Your sample size isn't very big.

He's also a TD a game RB so far. Caught 5 for 58.

Ford was also playing against teams known for their defense. Plus, we haven't really had a ton of time where we've been primarily game planning to fit his skill set. Came in after Chubb went down in week two, then had a short week after the Monday night game.

Hunt had a 6 carry for 9 yard game, 4 for 6 yards game, and 7 for 8 yards game last year. Was he playing like a sub-2 yard per carry back? Is he "not a featured back?"

I think it's much too soon to say whether Ford is or is not a featured back.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Browns Sign RB Kareem Hunt - 09/26/23 08:22 PM
Hunt is in my top 5 players since the return. Joe t, Nick Chubb, Myles Garret, Hunt, Teller. Bitonio is 6th.

I love that Hunt wants to be here and rep his hometown.
© DawgTalkers.net