DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/23/24 04:33 PM
Mary Kay Cabot
@MaryKayCabot
K Cade York is re-signing with the #Browns, source tells me
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/23/24 04:44 PM
Dustin Hopkins is under contract for this year.

Strange that they would bring York back.

Kickers are hard to figure. York has the leg. It is between the ears that he has to figure out. I have little patience for kickers.

They either have it or do not. Some rise up under pressure. Some fold.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/23/24 08:09 PM
I would have rather this be posted on

April 1st
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/24/24 01:46 AM
Hopkins has had some injuries. I've no problem with having a backup plan on the 90 man roster in case there's a training camp injury.
It’s probably hard to feel like you whiffed on a pick like this. He’s available, you need a camp leg, why not see if he was what you saw when you drafted him rather than the rookie with the yips. For camp, why not?
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/24/24 08:56 AM
I told y'all last year that The Browns were still High on York.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/24/24 09:39 AM
I have no problem with the move.
Posted By: The Big G Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/24/24 02:23 PM
Kickers aren’t like other position players who can come out of college and be good. They have to fail and bounce around for a few years while they work on their craft. Any 30-year-old journeyman is better that any rookie. I’ll bet York becomes a good NFL kicker at some point. It may or may not be with us, but if we can keep him on the PS, it’s a good move.
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/24/24 02:24 PM
Me neither. Probably 25% of the kickers that go on to have successful careers go through the same early problems that York went through.

He's the back-up.
We can trade him for a late-round pick if another team's kicker goes down or doesn't meet their expectations. Kinda like we had to do when acquiring Hopkins last year. Or we can try tp sneak him onto the PS.

I feel like this is the kind of flexibility we have at the QB position too.
We need to sign Hopkins to like a 10 year contract. What are they doing?
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/24/24 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by GMdawg

My good friend, you could have used some pull and tell them one word.

NO !

Maybe Cleveland is where he needs to be and face his demons ( the end zone winds )

Hopefully he can turn omg wtf was that into a 70 yd win a on a daily !
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/24/24 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by GMdawg

They are the only ones.
We need a camp leg and a backup. I hope they bring back that one dude that came in late last season and kicked for us on no notice as well since he bailed us out.

Let Hopkins chill in TC, and maybe let York get himself broken in (someone above said kickers just kinda take a while in the pros).
It kind of confounds me that kickers can be great in college and then really struggle in the NFL. Outside of winds, isn't it something that should directly translate from college to the pros?
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/25/24 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by dawglover05
It kind of confounds me that kickers can be great in college and then really struggle in the NFL. Outside of winds, isn't it something that should directly translate from college to the pros?

College goal posts are 5 foot wider, so the margin for error is smaller. Might need to scout distance from midline/check how many FGs were "barely made" in college more than simple make/miss. I also think people underestimate the importance of the other people that are involved, and developing familiarity with those people. I'm not sure if alignment changes or not (holder same distance from snapper, that sort of thing.) I do wonder how often ST coaches try to get kickers to do things the coach's way and it messes with the kicker's confidence. Or even something like snap speed, a different timing can throw off rhythm.

It seems a lot of the time Kickers practice off tees. (I could be wrong.) It never really made sense to me. Kicking FGs like you will in the games as much as possible would seem to make more sense. How well does a tee really simulate the holder? One also doesn't get practice for when things are (inevitably?) out of synch.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Browns Sign K Cade York (Yes, Really) - 03/26/24 01:44 PM
If he's a camp leg, I can't find much wrong with it. But I don't trust what's between his ears. Something ain't right
© DawgTalkers.net