DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: SaintDawg Combine thread... - 02/25/10 06:43 AM
So it's the NFL Combine time.. here's a coupla to get you started..

webbage

LeCharles Bentley on the NFL Combine: It's often 'more show than substance'
By Special to The Plain Dealer
February 23, 2010, 6:15PM
Terry Gilliam / Associated PressLeCharles Bentley (in white jersey) was a dominating center during an impressive collegiate career at Ohio State. But when he attended the NFL Combine before the 2002 draft, he learned how little performance seemed to matter. "There aren’t any opportunities during a game to bench press 225 pounds as many times as possible or run a 40-yard dash without a helmet," he says. "All of the game film that has been studied suddenly becomes irrelevant because a guy ran a great 40."Editor’s note: LeCharles Bentley grew up playing football — for St. Ignatius High School, Ohio State, the New Orleans Saints and even briefly for the Browns. But his pro career actually started with the NFL Scouting Combine. Here he takes a look at how the combine works and what it was like to go through the process of trying to impress teams.

LeCharles Bentley

Special to The Plain Dealer

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Annually the NFL holds its job fair -- referred to as the Combine -- that often ends up being more show than substance.

For a week, Indianapolis explodes with top NFL brass, all seeking to leave no stone unturned while prying for information on every potential hire. Former college football players undergo a vetting process that would turn any partisan sect green with envy. The NFL expends such massive amounts of money, time and resources on evaluations that logic is often cast to the wayside for sake of "numbers."

Tracy Boulian / The Plain DealerWhat a 21-year-old isn’t equipped for," writes LeCharles Bentley, "is the harsh reality of transitioning from coddled collegiate athlete to highly expendable product with an expiration date."

NFL SCOUTING COMBINE
Who: More than 300 players eligible for the 2010 NFL Draft. Every NFL team is represented by its full scouting and coaching staffs. All NFL general managers and some team presidents attend.
Where: Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis.
When: Wednesday through March 2.
What happens: Players are divided into groups by position. Each group stays four days. Day 1 consists of registration, orientation and medical exams. Day 2 is measurements, exams, media interviews and psychology testing. Day 3 is meetings with NFL players association, more tests and some workouts. Day 4 is final workouts. Players have interviews with teams every day.
TV: Portions of the interviews and workouts will be shown on the NFL Network.
— Tony GrossiIt should go without saying that the NFL is an exclusive club that is intended for the best football players our world has to offer. The primary objective of all NFL teams' scouting departments is to pillage every collegiate roster for the most impressive players, then extend combine invitations to all 300 of them.

Yes, of the 15,000 plus college football players, 300 are invited to Indianapolis.

Scouts from every team study endless hours of film and log thousands of travel hours in order to evaluate talent. Each one of the 300 players who earn an invite does so because of his accomplishments on the field. Somewhere along the path, the logic and rationale that went into determining who receives combine invites goes out the window during the week in Indianapolis.

Having been a player that earned an invitation, I know how exciting the Combine experience can be. First, it's an honor to be selected as one of the 300 best college football players in the country and it's not one to be taken lightly.

Players can spend months preparing for a two-day interview and agents will spend thousands of dollars preparing their client. There is a lot put into combine preparation because so much can come out of it. Every player will be evaluated through the NFL's battery of testing procedures, many of which have absolutely zero bearing on the athletes' ability to play the game of football.

There aren't any opportunities during a game to bench press 225 pounds as many times as possible or run a 40-yard dash without a helmet. What ensues are general managers and coaches falling in love with a guy who could potentially be a workout warrior. All of the game film that has been studied suddenly becomes irrelevant because a guy ran a great 40.

Every coach in the league believes he is the best, or he wouldn't be coaching in the NFL. This fact leads them to believe they can coach any wide receiver who is 6-6 and runs a 4.3 40 to be the next Randy Moss.

The NFL is a business of attrition and is not designed to be a developmental league. Some may refute this by pointing to practice squads, but the term "practice squad" is fancy for "irrelevant body." When a player signs an NFL contract, he is immediately in a battle with time, and unfortunately time -- through age or lack of performance -- always wins out. This is why it is vital for every team to know who they are drafting and more importantly, why. Far too often, team officials leave Indianapolis with a rose-colored view of potential draft picks.

The Combine's real value is the mental component. All teams that draft the best recognize this. This doesn't apply to the Raiders as much as it does the Colts, Ravens and Patriots.

Sure, the testing is strenuous but athletes are built for that. What a 21-year-old isn't equipped for is the harsh reality of transitioning from coddled collegiate athlete to highly expendable product with an expiration date. Amateur athletes are thrust into a world of seasoned men whose livelihoods are contingent upon the performance of these young men.

On a personal note, I spent six hours in an MRI tube to have a sprained ankle that I suffered in high school photographed, then was told I was expected back at the RCA Dome to run my 40. I passed on that opportunity and opted to spend the next 10 hours being interrogated by three teams. What makes this so profound is that neither team drafted me. This was either because I was an awful interview or the person they really wanted to speak with was being interrogated by a team that didn't draft him either.

The Combine is as much a part of the NFL fabric as the Super Bowl and it will be forever. It's the first phase of initiation into the club of the National Football League.

Many teams will travel to the Combine seeking the best football players and will fall in love with the best athletes. As fans, all we can do is enjoy the ride and hope our team gets it right.

** Ya wanna see what a Wonderlic test is like?

Linkage
Posted By: Line Judge Re: Combine thread... - 02/25/10 11:18 AM
Has anyone other than LCB had a job interview and then was not hired?

Poor guy
Posted By: Gift Horse Re: Combine thread... - 02/25/10 01:51 PM
LeCharles Bentley is often 'more show than substance'.

there, I summarized everything this ego maniac has to say for the next 40 years.

I care about LCB's perspective about as much as I enjoy listening to Matt Millen tell me what it takes to have a winning team.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Combine thread... - 02/25/10 02:06 PM
Quote:

Hard to argue with him here. (Cough) Brian Robiskie (Cough)
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Combine thread... - 02/25/10 02:43 PM
Quote:

** Ya wanna see what a Wonderlic test is like?

Linkage

Wow, Vince Young must be an Idiot. I got a wonderlic score of 32.5 and i've been accused of being dumber than a bag of hammers The one that really threw me off was the letters that come next one. Where it go's A,D,J,A,A,A.......so on and so forth.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Combine thread... - 02/25/10 03:00 PM
Combine starts @ 2:30 today.
Posted By: SaintDawg Re: Combine thread... - 02/25/10 03:06 PM
http://www.nfl.com/combine

Thats the link to the combine site on NFL.com Lots of info there..
Posted By: Heldawg Re: Combine thread... - 02/26/10 03:05 AM
Pretty funny. There's a wrong answer in the set. It's Question 4.

And a couple typos.

What kind of moron wrote this?
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Combine thread... - 02/26/10 03:39 AM
Quote:

Do you mean by there being 3 exact duplicates and it only saying there is one? That one kind of through me for a loop after I read the answer and looked at it again.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Combine thread... - 02/26/10 02:02 PM
Here's a TINY bit of info from WalterFootball . . .

http://walterfootball.com/combine2010stock.php

POSITIVE . . .

Charles Brown, OT, USC - Charles Brown's weight was a big concern going into the Combine. Brown was around 290 during the 2009 season, and sub-300-pound tackles just don't go in the first round. Fortunately, Brown weighed in at 303 pounds, while his arms measured 35 1/4 inches. Brown is now a sure first-rounder and a possible candidate at No. 14 for Seattle.

Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland - Bruce Campbell was an impressive 6-6, 314 at the Combine with long 36 1/4-inch arms. The Combine is Campbell's time to shine, and assuming he runs a great 40 on Saturday (as expected), he'll become a great player and a lock to go to Al Davis at No. 8 overall.

Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State - Russell Okung solidified his top-five status by weighing in at 6-5, 307, with 36-inch arms. It'll be very difficult for the Chiefs to pass on a stud left tackle like Okung at No. 5 - assuming he makes it there.

Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian - Tony Washington impressively weighed in at 6-6, 311, with 35.5-inch arms. Washington is an offensive tackle to keep your eye on during the Combine.

NEGATIVE . . .

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa - Bryan Bulaga's arms measured at just 33 1/4 inches. This shouldn't be a huge deal, but it could be enough to scare some teams off and keep him out of the top 10.

Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida - Aaron Hernandez weighed in at 6-2, 245, but had an arm length of just 32 1/4 inches. Unlike Jermaine Gresham and Rob Gronkowski, Hernandez is not much of a blocker, and that arm length severely compromises his ability to become successful in that department.

Jared Veldheer, OT, Hillsdale - Jared Veldheer is an athletic tackle who should perform well on Saturday. Unfortunately, Thursday wasn't so kind to him. Jared Veldheer weighed in at 6-8, 312, but with 33-inch arms. That arm length is ridiculously short for a man of Veldheer's size.

http://walterfootball.com/combine.php

2010 NFL Draft Combine Schedule Dates:

Saturday, Feb. 27 - Group 1 (K, P). Group 2 (OL), Group 3 (TE)

Sunday, Feb. 28 - Group 4 (QB, WR), Group 5 (QB, WR), Group 6 (RB)

Monday, March 1 - Group 7 (DL), Group 8 (DL), Group 9 (LB)

Tuesday, March 2 - Group 10 (DB), Group 11 (DB)
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 02/26/10 02:07 PM
I wonder when Seattle hired Pete Carrol, did they ask him if he would show preference to USC guys come draft day?
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Combine thread... - 02/26/10 02:28 PM
Quote:

I wonder when Seattle hired Pete Carrol, did they ask him if he would show preference to USC guys come draft day?

And I wonder, even if Carrol knew he would show preference to USC players, what answer he would give?
Posted By: Dawgpound017 Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 04:19 PM
Well Bruce Campbell is certainly making a name for himself right now. 316 pounder putting up 32 reps, running a 4.78 (!!!) 40 and may have possibly broke the vertical record for OL.

Hopefully the guy isn't another Vernon Gholston.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 04:31 PM
Adam Schefter said Trindon Holliday ran a 4.22 forty but NFL Network said he ran a 4.27.

That's unreal I wonder what Jacoby Ford will run.

Trent Williams just ran a 4.88
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 04:33 PM
Quote:

Well Bruce Campbell is certainly making a name for himself right now. 316 pounder putting up 32 reps, running a 4.78 (!!!) 40 and may have possibly broke the vertical record for OL.

Bruce must have put on weight. But hey if he still has that chainsaw attached to his arm he'll be a formidible lineman to try to get past.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 06:16 PM
Jimmy Graham 4.60
Andrew quarless 4.67
Dorin Dickerson 4.4

Also Mike Iupati has to be the most fit looking 331 LBS linemen I've ever seen!
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 06:22 PM
This is one kid I would take with Berry on the board.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 07:27 PM
I fear he'll become a Steeler.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 07:38 PM
Dorin Dickerson is also only 225 pounds as a TE.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 07:40 PM
So we already know who the Raiders are taking in the 1st...Bruce Campbell.
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Combine thread... - 02/27/10 10:49 PM
Quote:

I fear he'll become a Steeler.

He did an interview....said he interviewed with the Steelers...they seemed very interested...and that they told him he is there #1 OL in this draft.

Not that it means anything

HACK
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 12:09 AM
Quote:

Not that it means anything

HACK

I'd be more than happy if the Steelers draft oline.. With Big Bens style of play, ie holding on to the ball, even the BEST O-lineman can only hold a defender for so long.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 12:13 AM
Quote:

Jimmy Graham 4.60
Andrew quarless 4.67
Dorin Dickerson 4.4

Of the three, Graham did best in the gauntlet IMO.

Though, from the TEs I've seen today three others stand out - Ed Dickson (3rd), Tony Moeaki (2nd) and Dennis Pitta (1st). Dickson were on my short list of TEs already, Pitta was just added.
Posted By: Jester Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 02:16 AM
Pitta made a big impression on me as well. His hands are so soft catching the ball. His hands put a lot of Wr's to shame.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 02:31 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Do you mean by there being 3 exact duplicates and it only saying there is one? That one kind of through me for a loop after I read the answer and looked at it again.

I was going to say, I thought it was just me and I might of missed something.

But anyway, how is it even possible to score a 6 on the test? That certainly can't be the real one they use.
Posted By: mac Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 02:01 PM
Quote:

Also Mike Iupati has to be the most fit looking 331 LBS linemen I've ever seen!

Iupati is the best OG, but there are 4 OTs that rank higher on (most) draft boards, making him the 5th best OLineman.

It's my understanding that at the Senior Bowl, they experimented with Iupati at LT and RT. He did not have the foot speed to play LT and was considered a "maybe" at RT.

That means he would likely be the 5th or 6th best RT in the draft and with the Browns picking at 7...it would not be a good move to draft him that high.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 02:52 PM
Any OLineman that upgrades what you already have is worth the pick wherever it happens. This kid supposedly can't play RT ? He'd still be ten times better than what's there now.

My only hangup is taking him instead of Berry.

And I know what the book says about value, salary, waste,...etc. From all reports, this man is a helluva human being too.

Sorry Hack,....I'd pick him just to keep him out of Pittsburgh.
Posted By: Calzone Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 04:11 PM
web page

NFL combine notes: Browns keeping draft options open
Filed by Scott Petrak February 28th, 2010 in Browns Notes, Sports.
Print this story
Read comments and discuss this story

BEREA - With the Browns undecided on what to do at quarterback, general manager Tom Heckert left open all possibilities, including trading up from No. 7 to possibly draft Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford.

“I don’t think we’re closing the door on anything,” Heckert said Saturday at the NFL scouting combine. “We’re not shutting the door on moving up or even moving back. We’re listening to a lot of different teams.

“My job is to get good football players. If I think we can get a really good football player by moving up and if we have a chance to do that, we’ll do it.”

The Browns are still evaluating holdovers Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn and will explore trading for a veteran quarterback or signing a free agent. Then there’s the draft, where Bradford and Notre Dame’s Jimmy Clausen are considered the only first-round talents.

Bradford is coming off a shoulder injury that cost him nearly all of the 2009 season and required surgery. He said he’s at 85 percent and is “gonna put on a great show” at his pro-day workout March 25. He’s a candidate to go No. 1 to the Rams and likely won’t be on the board at No. 7.

“You never know,” said Heckert, who gave an abbreviated scouting report. “He’s a big kid, he’s accurate, he won a lot of football games. He’s a leader. That pretty much sums it up. He has all the tools to put it together.

“Everybody wants to say he’s a franchise (quarterback), but until he does it you never know.”

One year at a time
Heckert said the Browns are content to have their restricted free agents return under one-year contracts, and won’t explore long-term deals with them.

The key restricted free agents are running back Jerome Harrison, linebacker D’Qwell Jackson, fullback Lawrence Vickers, safeties Abram Elam and Brodney Pool and linebackers Matt Roth and Jason Trusnik. Heckert said the team will announce which guys they’ll tender and the size of the tenders Wednesday or Thursday. Free agency begins Friday.

• Heckert said internal discussions continue on whether to offer contracts to unrestricted free agents Rex Hadnot (guard) and Mike Furrey (receiver/safety).

• Heckert and coach Eric Mangini said they don’t feel adding a veteran receiver is a necessity. Rookie Mohamed Massaquoi was the leading receiver last year with 34 catches.

“I’m not saying we wouldn’t do that,” Heckert said. “But I think we’ll be OK.”

• Heckert said nose tackle Shaun Rogers (broken leg) was at team headquarters last week and should be ready for minicamps. Inside linebacker Eric Barton (neck surgery) is scheduled to go back to the doctor, but should be OK for the season.

“We assume all of our guys are going to be back ready to go (for the season),” Heckert said. “I don’t think we’re going to miss anybody.”
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 04:39 PM
Quote:

This is one kid I would take with Berry on the board.

If you're mentioning Iauputi here, I agree. - He looks great for 330+ and I would love to have him here.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 04:41 PM
If we took Iupati in the top 10 I would break something.
Posted By: Dave Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 04:45 PM
Quote:

Mike Iupati has to be the most fit looking 331 LBS linemen I've ever seen!

I wonder if they test for HGH at the Combine ... these guys are not members of the NFLPA, after all.
Posted By: legalizewd Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 06:36 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Hard to argue with him here. (Cough) Brian Robiskie (Cough)

Sporting News top 3 players who benefitted the most from having a good combine. Clay Matherw Jr., Robiskie, David Veikune.

Looks like Mangini, like Butch Davis, puts too much stock into workout warriors. Both Good coaches, both bad talent evaluators. Mangini is said to be the guy that went all in on Golston in NY.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 06:55 PM
they also had nice collegiate careers..

Gini' is no different from us.. When we want a particular player, we want that player...

sidenote: I wonder if Quinn and Clausen talk?
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 07:04 PM
Quote:

If we took Iupati in the top 10 I would break something.

I doubt -- but do not know -- that you were saying this when JT was "up."

Just my opinion,...there is no difference between making this kid fit next year -- anywhere -- and having needed to plug Joe Thomas in with the pick where we got him. When an OLine monster is available, you get him. Period. Just my philosophy.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 07:08 PM
If Eric Berry, Rolando McClain, Joe Haden, and/or even Russell Okung are on the board at #7 and we take Iupati it will be a great disappointment. And I really like Iupati. Starting guards can be picked in the later rounds.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 07:09 PM
I was jumping up and down and crying when we drafted JT.

Iupati isn't anywhere near close to JT's level, nor the level of many prospects that will be available when we are picking at 7.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 07:19 PM
LeFevour ran a 4.66 forty. Pretty good for a QB.

NFL.com has a live feed of the combine if anyone wants to watch the RB's run the forty.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 07:52 PM
Quote:

I was jumping up and down and crying when we drafted JT.

Iupati isn't anywhere near close to JT's level, nor the level of many prospects that will be available when we are picking at 7.

I accept that counter,...
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 07:57 PM
Quote:

If Eric Berry, Rolando McClain, Joe Haden, and/or even Russell Okung are on the board at #7 and we take Iupati it will be a great disappointment. And I really like Iupati. Starting guards can be picked in the later rounds.

Number one, I don't think for a second that -- ^^ -- would happen.

I'm not saying take Iupati above everyone else,....I'm just saying take a great OLineman when he IS available. THIS kid is not "just a starting guard" that can be had later,....(agreed.)
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 08:17 PM
Quote:

LeFevour ran a 4.66 forty. Pretty good for a QB.

NFL.com has a live feed of the combine if anyone wants to watch the RB's run the forty.

Forget him. Tebow was right behind him.....and he has some hams for legs if running is what you want the qb to do.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 08:27 PM
dude.. u need to chill with tebow..
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 10:01 PM
Quote:

dude.. u need to chill with tebow..

No I don't. If you can pimp guys like Jones and every other half ass Georgia player to come down the pike, why can't I pimp a Tebow???

Admit it.....you just don't like the fact he is showing it just isn't hype....there is something there
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 10:08 PM
You are going over board with the pimping..

I could care less if Tebow succeeds. I want him to if he becomes a Brown for sure.. But you are making excuses for his weaknesses, and blowing up his strengths..

You have on Orange and Blue Shades x 100.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 10:22 PM
Quote:

You have on Orange and Blue Shades x 100.

More like X10000000000000000000

I think Peen is going to sink into a deep depression once Tebow turns into a bust
Posted By: choco Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 11:17 PM
j/c

no ones really knocking teblow for his athleticism.....its his ability to play the QB position. something meyer forgot to teach him in te first place.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 02/28/10 11:23 PM
Loved it when Marshal Faulk said Tebow has done more for Florida, than Florida has done for Tebow.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 12:42 AM
J/C

All the top QBs not throwing has made this combine a joke for QBs IMO. What was Lefevour's excuse?
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 12:59 AM
My observations from the day..

RBs - Ben Tate and Montario Hardesty both had really good days, not only in the measurables, but also in drills. Javvaris James and Pat Paschall looked pretty good too for later round guys. Of the guys getting a lot of attention, Ryan Matthews and Toby Gerhart looked best. I think Jonathan Dwyer and Anthony Dixon had bad days. For a tiny guy (by NFL standards), Dexter McCluster ran poorly, but showed strength in the measurables and looked good in drills.

QBs - too many guys didn't throw, so its hard to say too much. Jarret Brown, Dan LeFevour, and Tim Tebow all had good days with the measurables. John Skelton looked best to be throwing the ball - great zip and was on target more than the others. Jevan Snead looked terrible, and slow. Pike didn't impress me, and looked very thin. Everyone else was somewhere in the middle...

WRs - didn't see too much of them, was focusing more on QB during drills. Measurables...Jacoby Ford was the only player under 4.3 and only WR under 4.4. For a later round guy, Scott Long (nfl.com shows Brandon though) did well in all of the measurables.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 01:06 AM
One of the NFL station's talking heads said that he was changing his mechanics too, then they went on a 5 minute rant about him not throwing.
Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 01:32 AM
I don't get it myself. These guys have played their whole lives the way they played in college. I personally don't think they can change. All QBs throw differently, some it works for some it don't. I believe they are making a mockery of the combine by not throwing if they are able. It is not like there is no game film of their mechanics
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 01:52 AM
Most of that is just excuses. They would much rather throw at a pro day under their own conditions with receivers they know.
Posted By: RocDawg Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 03:20 AM
it's about money. period. the agents are calling the shots with this and everyspot a guy slides lost $$$$$$.

If your a guy on the cusp and slip a round it could be costly.

it proof we pay rookies too much money. They should all want to throw. The combine invite should be a blessing....yet these kids are guided to snub it for the all mighty dollars that the draft dishes out.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 03:22 AM
clutch hit the nail on the head. they're not in a controlled, scripted environment like their pro days will be. over and over GMs have said (on Sirius), the combine rarely drops people, but it definitely rises them (draft stock). at this point, I almost hope it hurts LeFevour and Tebow and anyone else that wasn't recovering from injury - just to prove a point to the agents who are telling them to not throw. At least some GMs should tell the kids as much...

That being said, I found it terribly interesting that they didn't rip Tebow for not throwing for the same reason.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 12:06 PM
Quote:

it's about money. period. the agents are calling the shots with this and everyspot a guy slides lost $$$$$$.

If your a guy on the cusp and slip a round it could be costly.

it proof we pay rookies too much money. They should all want to throw. The combine invite should be a blessing....yet these kids are guided to snub it for the all mighty dollars that the draft dishes out.

Roc On !
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 12:43 PM
A few guys I think we MUST get on this team for the better..

1) Jordan Shipley - WR - looking to use one of the 3rd rounders on him
2) Legarette Blount - HB - looking to use the 4th rounder on him

Shipley is a very talented WR with great hands, and he makes great plays. Talk about getting separation. He knows how to run routes.
Blount is a force, ie Brandon Jacobs. We need that battering ram on this team. He is definitely one that can put fear into opposing defenses.

I'll also add Brandon Spikes to the list with the 2nd round pick. Most MLB's fall, and Spikes should be no different, especially with McClain being ranked ahead of him. Draft Spikes, and re-sign D'Qwell for another 4 years, and our middle LB spots are locked and become great for the next few years.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 12:54 PM
Ever seen/heard Shipley on camera ? He is terrible,....very shy, very unassuming. One word answers.

The little guy in the bar you don't want to swing at,...

I think he would be a great addition, but so will the rest of the draft,...he might not even be there.

I cannot answer this, but do we really have to take that pick at that time ? We have plenty of other "holes" to fill.
Posted By: Jester Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 01:00 PM
Since we are talking about wr's. Anybody have a status update on Eric Decker?
Posted By: OverToad Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 05:28 PM
Nope, but speaking of receivers, there's apparently plenty of red-flags going up about one Dez Bryant:

Quote:

PFT:
"Buyer beware" on Dez Bryant, too
Posted by Mike Florio on March 1, 2010 8:05 AM ET
Dez-Bryant.jpgBruce Campbell isn't the only guy who's prompting league insiders to try to temper their potential infatuation with a possible first-round pick. But while Campbell's negatives come from review of his game film, former Oklahoma State receiver Dez Bryant's suspension for lying to investigators is part of what Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports characterizes based on three unnamed sources as "consistently irresponsible" behavior.

Said one source of Bryant, who passed on all workouts at the Scouting Combine: "I wouldn't draft that kid unless I had someone to wake him up in the morning to get to meetings, someone to wake him up for practice and someone to wake him up for games." Another source backed up the contention that Bryant was "consistently late" for team activities.

Including games.

But while the man who called himself a "great person" in an NFL Network interview (and few people who publicly describe themselves a certain way are ever truly what they describe themselves to be) has been characterized as more "goofy" than malicious, we continue to hear concerns regarding the truthfulness of his assertion that he didn't know who agent Eugene Parker was during the time that Bryant was communicating with Deion Sanders.

It's a contention that some league insiders find even harder to believe in light of the fact that the son of Parker's partner, Roosevelt Barnes, was a teammate of Bryant's at Oklahoma State. But, hey, maybe a room full of college athletes who hope to get paid to do something that doesn't involve punching a clock would have no interest at all in knowing that the father of one of their teammates is a big-time agent who works with another big-time agent.

UPDATE: Responding to this item via Twitter, Greg Bedard of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel said that "[t]he stories about him around combine should frighten teams."

I'm beginning to wonder if this Bryant is in the same mold as one Antonio Bryant.

I'd been wary of his attitude long before the combine, and after reading all this stuff, I'm of the opinion that he isn't the guy I want at 7. I'd rather reach and take a guy like McClain before going for another potential Leon...............
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/01/10 05:32 PM
I know he has to have foot surgery. He won't be ready to play until June.

link
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 03:59 PM
Cohen just ran a 4.6... hmmm... thats not good... not for a 7th pick.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:12 PM
Looks like Haden had a poor showing in the 40 time, maybe he can improve it at Florida's pro day. Waiting to see Spikes 40 time.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:15 PM
spikes decided not to run the 40.. lol.

Even so.. I still want him in the 2nd.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:16 PM
Berry out-runs Haden at combine
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 2, 2010 10:48 AM ET
The defensive backs are running Tuesday morning at the NFL scouting combine, and the top two players in the position group had very different results in the 40-yard dash.

Tennessee's Eric Berry is in the process of solidifying his status as the top safety prospect with a good workout that included 40 times of 4.46 and 4.40 seconds. But Florida's Joe Haden, who entered the combine widely regarded as the top cornerback prospect, ran disappointing times of 4.57 and 4.60 seconds.

Those 40 times are unofficial, and unofficial times deserve plenty of scrutiny. But while we have Berry going fourth overall and Haden going fifth in our mock draft, Berry looked a lot more like a Top 5 pick on Tuesday morning than Haden did.

NFL Network analyst Deion Sanders, who knows a little something about playing defensive back and about running fast 40-yard dashes, said Haden looked uncomfortable from the beginning and even suggested that Haden might be getting some coaching that has made him self-conscious about his running technique.

"First of all, it was a horrible stance," Sanders said of Haden. "I don't know what he's being taught -- sometimes you've just got to let a guy run. Tweak him a little bit but don't try to change everything."

Sanders is right: When wearing a helmet and shoulder pads, Haden looks like a guy who has all the speed he needs. But when wearing his underwear Tuesday morning, Haden didn't look like an elite prospect.

web page
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:17 PM
Quote:

Looks like Haden had a poor showing in the 40 time, maybe he can improve it at Florida's pro day. Waiting to see Spikes 40 time.

I know it's an indicator, but the kid can still cover. I personally don't put much stock in the Combine. Too many other immeasurable intangibles.
Posted By: AndraDavis4MVP Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:19 PM
I think Spikes is hurting himself by not running. Listening to a Scott Wright Podcast, he thinks spikes will slip to the 3rd round. If you can get a spikes there, its a no brainer.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:24 PM
I must be the only poster on this board who is " Not " a Spikes fan
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:24 PM
It's a severe Catch 22,....brought on by the "games" people play. Don't run ? You won't post a "slow" time, and hopefully not "drop." OR,...Don't run, and then drop because you're a "headcase." Throw, or don't throw ? Do you want to be a QB in this league or not ?

It's all too political because the money is too big.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:53 PM
Quote:

When wearing a helmet and shoulder pads, Haden looks like a guy who has all the speed he needs. But when wearing his underwear Tuesday morning, Haden didn't look like an elite prospect.

if his time was because he doesn't have a good track stance and didn't get a good start push, then why would we care? last I checked, DB's don't get in a track stance right before the snap.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 04:56 PM
I wouldn't mind getting him, but only if Berry is not there..

How is his tackling? b/c Wright is a liability against the run.. Every long run teams get, Wright was apart of it getting stiff armed, juked around, etc... that has to stop.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:01 PM
Two-tenths of a second bewteen their fastest and slowest times,....what is that,...four inches ?

I'm not pinging on you Grate, but that does not make a hill of beans to me. Like I wouldn't take Haden if Berry is gone,...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:10 PM
If Berry is gone, I would take Haden in a heartbeat. The guy knows how to play. It doesn't bother me one bit that he ran .2 slower. Straight line speed is only needed once you have done something really good or really bad.
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:13 PM
j/c

WOW Taylor Mays is an absolute freak. I can't believe he ran a 4.24 40 at 6'3" 230lbs. I was thinking he would run in the 4.35-4.4 range. Looks like he's gonna be a Raider, or better yet maybe Carrol locks him down with the 6th pick and let Berry fall to us if he makes it there.

I haven't seen his position drills, so it might be a little early to say that though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:26 PM
Living in Southern California, I knew Mays was capable of running this type of forty time. I also know that Mays is highly overrated and had only four INT's in his four year career at USC. And isn't really the big hitter everyone makes him out to be.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:33 PM
that time was BOGUS!! He ran faster the second time, than the first, and got a slower time.. His second run he exploded off the line..

I don't believe he ran a 4.24.. as chris johnson has said.. key word UNOFFICIAL.
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:36 PM
Mays had 5 INTS in his 4 year career

HACK
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:40 PM
Sorry, one off. Five INT's in his career and only two after his freshman year. Eric Berry had fourteen INT's in three years.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:41 PM
Just wait till Rich Eisen runs his forty. Johnson will be shaking in his boots.
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:43 PM
Quote:

Just wait till Rich Eisen runs his forty. Johnson will be shaking in his boots.

LMFAO, that was so hilarious last year. Especially when they ghosted the other players running against him. That fat lineman who's name escapes me right now even smoked him.
Posted By: SteelHack Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:47 PM
How many did Berry have last year?

HACK
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:54 PM
Mays had 1, Berry had 2, Earl Thomas had 8 which is a guy whoi'd like to have but 7 is too early and he won't be there in the second. So I want Nate Allen who had 4 plus 85 tackles.

On a side note Patrick Robinson ran a 4.42. Which Berry in the first and Robinson in the second would be my dream draft. Or even Ghee in the second who ran a 4.37.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:56 PM
He had only two last year. But we can assume that he had only two (or the amount Mays had in his Sophomore, Junior, and Senior seasons combined) because teams were throwing away from him.

Living in Southern California I watched most of USC's games. Teams were going after Taylor Mays, not avoiding him.

I want to make one thing clear. Taylor Mays is not a bad football player. He is just overrated. If he goes in the top 15, teams will be sorely disappointed because he won't make an immediate impact. If taken outside the top 15 and given a chance to develop his skills Mays could be a good player. As a Steeler fan you knows this, as Polamalu didn't start one game his rookie year.

By the looks of it some team will fall in love with Mays because of his measurable (cough....Seahawks...cough) and force him into action too early and he will be exposed his first couple of seasons.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:57 PM
Quote:

How many did Berry have last year?

HACK

Posted By: hooter Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 05:59 PM
Mays is the fastest DB, looks like he might win the combine. What a freak. He's killing the drills too. Fun to watch.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 06:01 PM
I'd say Bruce Campbell is just as much of a freak as Taylor Mays.
Posted By: hooter Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 06:12 PM
Quote:

I'd say Bruce Campbell is just as much of a freak as Taylor Mays.

Yea, too bad Al Davis only has one 1st rounder.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 06:53 PM
Mays official forty time..............4.43.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 07:09 PM
Quote:

Didn't people say he ran a 4.2 forty at USC?
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 07:14 PM
Right he ran a "4.2" forty as USC. I assume this was with USC coaches timing it.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 07:22 PM
Here's Rich Eisen's forty if anyone is interested. High comedy.

NFL.com - Rich Eisen's 40-Yard Dash
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 07:25 PM
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 08:01 PM
I read Mays ran a unofficial 4.24 forty time at the combine

That is ungodly for man his size. I can't say I'm surprised since Mays is a freak of nature physically. CJ spiller ran a 4.27.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 08:09 PM
Quote:

Wow! We all know how physical he is, and how hard he hits. Wasn't the knock on him that he wasn't fast enough to be a top 10 pick?

With that 40 time, he may have pushed himself back into the top 15.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 08:11 PM
His official 40 time is a 4.4.

Everyone always knew he was fast, it's his coverage skills that are in question.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 08:13 PM
I had no clue he was that fast. I know he's huge and hits like Jack Tatum, but I did not know he had wheels like that.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 08:16 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Wow! We all know how physical he is, and how hard he hits. Wasn't the knock on him that he wasn't fast enough to be a top 10 pick?

No, everyone felt that Mays would completely tear the combine a new one. His only problem is that he's just a mediocre safety. I think he would be scary as hell at OLB.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 08:24 PM
He hits like Jack Tatum...only if Jack Tatum missed 1/4 of his hits.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 09:45 PM
Quote:

So I want Nate Allen who had 4 plus 85 tackles.

Or even Ghee in the second who ran a 4.37.

I don't really care what Ghee ran, but he is a heck of a cover corner. DBs are very deep this year.

I would love Berry/Ghee. But, I would also love Haden/Allen. Those are my 1a and 1b options. Hopefully, we get one of those combos.
Posted By: candyman92 Re: Combine thread... - 03/02/10 11:29 PM
Theirs no way Taylor Mays ran a 4.43

Posted By: E.Ryze19 Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 12:31 AM
The 4.24 was unofficial. The 4.4 was official
Posted By: Cleveland_clutch Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 12:48 AM
Quote:

Yes that is his official time, but one run he ran a 4.24. That means if he did it once he can surely do it again.

But I am not totally sure what they mean by official and unofficial. is it just a different way of timing it or do they average out the runs? I always thought they averaged out the runs, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 12:56 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Yes that is his official time, but one run he ran a 4.24. That means if he did it once he can surely do it again.

But I am not totally sure what they mean by official and unofficial. is it just a different way of timing it or do they average out the runs? I always thought they averaged out the runs, but I could be wrong.

The unofficial is timed by a person with a stopwach. The official is timed by an electronic system, making it more accurate.
Posted By: DeepThreat Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 01:00 AM
Don't be so sure about that. Scouts and NFL teams don't use the "official" time.
Posted By: Nas320 Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 01:37 PM
Quote:

Quote:

With that 40 time, he may have pushed himself back into the top 15.

The knock on him is he's an athlete playing football, not a football player who's an athlete.

How does a guy that physically gifted not affect a football game more than he does? The guy had 1 forced fumble and 5 interceptions........in his ENTIRE college career. 3 of those INT's came as a freshman.

He'll make some plays here or there but there seems to be a huge disconnect between his body and his brain. He's not great at reading keys and at USC his job looked to simply be to run to the football. Even so, he's known to take bad angles and be somewhat of a poor tackler.

Someone will surely fall in love with the guy but I wouldn't touch him with a #1. He's one of those workout warriors that screams potential bust. I think he has a better chance as a LB at the next level but we shall see.
Posted By: cle23 Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 03:44 PM
Quote:

Don't be so sure about that. Scouts and NFL teams don't use the "official" time.

That doesn't make any sense to me though. The combine was set up so teams could scout prospects. Why would they implement an electronic timing system and then not use it?
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 03:46 PM
one thing i noticed.. they showed a replay of chris johnson's 40.. they used a string at the end of the run to help measure the accuracy of the timing.. they did not use that this year or last year i believe.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 04:18 PM
From Walter Football . . .

http://walterfootball.com/combine2010stock6.php

POSITIVE . . .

Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
Despite bulking up, Eric Berry put on a show at the Combine. He ran a 4.40 at 211 pounds and notched a 43-inch vertical. He's a top-seven lock.

Chris Cook, CB, Virginia
Chris Cook had a great Combine, running a 4.43 at 6-2, 212. Al Davis will definitely be interested in Round 2.

Brandon Ghee, CB, Wake Forest
Brandon Ghee measured in a bit taller than he was listed (6-0 instead of 5-11) and then ran a great 40 (4.37). There's a good chance he goes in Round 2.

Kareem Jackson, CB, Alabama
Kareem Jackson really helped himself at the Combine with a 4.41 40. He's a solid second-round prospect.

A.J. Jefferson, CB, Fresno State
Mike Mayock repeatedly praised A.J. Jefferson during the Combine. Jefferson, who is 6-0 with long arms, ran a 4.43 and notched a 44-inch vertical. He's a project, but has a ton of upside.

Reshad Jones, S, Georgia
Reshad Jones ran well (4.54) and had a nice vertical (39.5) at the Combine. I also thought he looked very good in the drills.

Taylor Mays, SS, USC
Don't pay attention to that so-called "official" 40 time of 4.43. Taylor Mays ran a low 4.3 or high 4.2; in a simulcast against Trindon Holliday, Mays beat Holliday, who ran a 4.34. For the second year in a row, the official times at the Combine were screwed up. Regardless, Mays ran well and also notched a 41-inch vertical - but we all knew that would happen. His main concern remains his ability to cover. Still, as the NFL Network analysts opined, some coaches will think they can coach up Mays. The physical talent is definitely there.

Devin McCourty, CB, Rutgers
Devin McCourty ran the fastest 40 of any corner at the Combine at 4.34. He also looked great in the drills. McCourty may sneak into the first round.

Darrell Stuckey, S, Kansas
I thought Darrell Stuckey looked really great in the drills. He also ran an impressive 4.49 and leaped a 39.5-inch vertical.

NEGATIVE . . .

Joe Haden, CB, Florida
A lot is being made of Joe Haden's horrific 40 time of 4.57. I personally don't think it's a big deal. The instant Haden got into his stance, Deion Sanders nearly had a seizure. Deion noted that the stance was terrible, and sure enough, Haden got off to a poor start both times. He'll likely improve his 40 at his Pro Day. Haden is still an option for the Browns at No. 7, but there's a greater chance he falls out of the top 10 now.

Jerome Murphy, CB, South Florida
Ran a slow 40 (4.52) at the Combine, and from what I'm hearing, he turned some people off during the interviews.

Myron Rolle, SS, Florida State
Myron Rolle has been out of football for a year, so he needed to test well. Unfortunately, Rolle recorded a 4.68 in his 40. He remains an early Day 3 pick.

Stephan Virgil, CB, Virginia Tech
How does a corner run a 4.73? Many of the defensive ends were faster than that.

Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
I think Donovan Warren is a terrific player, but he really hurt himself by running a 4.59 at the Combine. He may slip on Draft Day, but whomever picks him will likely land a steal.
Posted By: Brownoholic Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 04:23 PM
From Walter Football . . .

http://walterfootball.com/combine2010stock5.php

POSITIVE . . .

Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia
Geno Atkins is having a very strong NFL Draft preseason. After an impressive Senior Bowl, Atkins ran a 4.75 at 293 pounds at the Combine. He also benched 34 reps.

Jamar Chaney, ILB, Mississippi State
Jamar Chaney quietly pieced together a great Combine, notching a 4.51 40 (fastest for any linebacker), a 39-inch vertical and 26 reps of 225.

Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan
Despite bulking up to 268 pounds, Brandon Graham ran an impressive 4.69 at the Combine. He also posted 31 reps of 225. It'll be very difficult for the Falcons to pass on him at No. 19.

Jerry Hughes, DE/OLB, TCU
Jerry Hughes ran a solid 4.59 at the Combine and looked like a natural 3-4 rush linebacker in all of the drills. He'll probably be drafted in Round 2, but he looks like a winner.

Linval Joseph, NT, East Carolina
I know 40 times don't mean much for nose tackles, but a 5.09 at 328 pounds is damn impressive. Also, 39 reps shows that Joseph is in good shape.

Jason Pierre-Paul, DE, South Florida
There's not that much tape on Jason Pierre-Paul, so the Combine was his time to shine. Pierre-Paul ran a breath-taking 4.64 at 6-5 270. If Al Davis needed a defensive end, Pierre-Paul would be the No. 8 pick in the 2010 NFL Draft. Instead, he's likely to land in Jacksonville.

Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, DE, Washington
Daniel Te'o-Nesheim put on a good performance at the Combine. Despite bulking about from 250 to 263, Te'o-Nesheim ran a 4.72, benched 29 reps and had a vertical of 37 inches. And he's not just some workout warrior; Te'o-Nesheim had 9.5 sacks in 2009, eight sacks in 2008 and 8.5 sacks in 2007.

Daryl Washington, TCU
Daryl Washington looked good at the Combine, running a 4.57 in the 40. He told Charles Davis that he would prefer to play weakside linebacker in the NFL.

Dekoda Watson, OLB, Florida State
Dekoda Watson made some money at the Combine. Despite weighing 240 pounds, Watson had the second-fastest fastest 40 of all the linebackers, running it in 4.53 seconds. He also had 24 reps and 40 inches on the vertical jump.

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
Wearing white spandex pants, Sean Weatherspoon ran a 4.57 at the Combine. He also notched a 40-inch vertical and 34 reps of 225. He's a virtual lock to go in Round 1.

Jason Worilds, DE/OLB, Virginia Tech
Jason Worilds didn't have a good 2009 campaign, but managed to strengthen his NFL Draft stock at the Combine. Worilds ran a 4.70, benched 24 reps and notched a 38-inch vertical.

NEGATIVE . . .

Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Greg Hardy ran a hideous 4.87 at the Combine. He can't keep his weight down in the wake of all of his injuries. I don't see how any team drafts him in the first two days.

Jammie Kirlew, DE, Indiana
Jammie Kirlew reported two inches shorter than expected (6-3 to 6-1) and ran a 4.94 at 260 pounds.

Brandon Lang, DE, Troy
Ran a very poor 4.96 40 at 6-4, 266. Not exactly what you want to see out of a pass-rusher.

George Selvie, DE/OLB, South Florida
Following two years of poor production, George Selvie needed to have a good Combine. Running a 4.89 is not what he had in mind. Selvie is a mid- or a late-round pick.

Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
Brandon Spikes did all of the drills at the Combine, but decided to skip the 40. There's probably a good reason why. His range remains a concern.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 04:53 PM
Quote:

Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
I think Donovan Warren is a terrific player, but he really hurt himself by running a 4.59 at the Combine. He may slip on Draft Day, but whomever picks him will likely land a steal.

this is why it is silly season right now. they just gave me a glimmer of hope that Warren could drop to us in the 2nd round.

while I think that Haden&Allen about equals Berry&Ghee; I think that Berry& Warren would trump both of those combinations. And there is that glimmer now.
Posted By: urbrowns Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 04:58 PM
I've seen people projecting Warren to go in the 3rd round, so chances are pretty good he'll be there in round 2 for the Browns.
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 05:07 PM
i was seeing a lot of him going round1 when the season ended, I just checked the sites I trust the most and they now have him late 2nd to 3rd.

look at the dates on these comments and what they say. I hate Michigan, but I really like Graham and Warren. Hopefully, other NFL teams let him slip because he's a good one. This site dropped him from #2 to #10 because of that 40-time. That's ridiculous.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010CB.php

Quote:

3/3/10: I think Donovan Warren is a terrific player, but he really hurt himself by running a 4.59 at the Combine. He may slip on Draft Day, but whomever picks him will likely land a steal.

1/3/10: Donovan Warren has declared for the 2010 NFL Draft. Warren is an excellent corner. He made the right move by capitalizing on an incredible junior campaign. He should be the second corner off the board.

Posted By: Damanshot Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 05:27 PM
Quote:

this is why it is silly season right now. they just gave me a glimmer of hope that Warren could drop to us in the 2nd round.

Remember a player named Babatundi Oshi something.. Before the draft he was thought to be someone that could go anywhere from the top of the 2nd round to no later than the middle of the 3rd.. Nobody looked at him until we drafted in I think in the 6th round.. (I'd have to check the round but it was late)

*(note) I did check, he was the second of two picks in the 6th round

The cream rises, great football minds know stuff that the media talking heads don't.

That's pretty much why I review draft sites with a little chuckle...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 05:37 PM
Quote:

I hate Michigan, but I really like Graham and Warren.

Hey, quiet down. It's people like you who make Braylon Edwards hate me. Does it really matter if they are from Michigan?
Posted By: no_logo_required Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 05:44 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Hey, quiet down. It's people like you who make Braylon Edwards hate me. Does it really matter if they are from Michigan?

the fact that I would pull the trigger on either player if they are there for us in the 2nd round means that I do not think so.

i put that in there mostly so the Buckeye diehards don't come in here and assume that i must be a Michigan fan and that's the only reason that I think those are good players. the fact is, they are good players and I think would both help out our defense.
Posted By: OoooRahJoice Re: Combine thread... - 03/03/10 10:04 PM
Quote:

Quote:

If they hit like Thom Darden,....No !!
© DawgTalkers.net