DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 02:04 AM
- Detroit's backups are horrendous ... maybe the worst I've seen in the NFL. We legit dominated them.

- Dayes is someone who I've always wished got more of a shot ... I hope he sticks (and Hilliard impressed too) .. tough to lose 1 or both of them

- Cajuste had an up and down night .. probably will be cut. Had penalties and a big drop

- I'll hand it to Orchard ... he made a nice play fighting for his spot

- We REALLY wanted to get some work for the OL (Robinson, Corbett, Drango, Zeitler) ... and they pulled A LOT. Definitely wanted to evaluate them there.

- Jeff Janis is gone IMO. He just never showed anything.

- Wish we could keep Dmari Scott. Maybe a PS candidate.

- The DB corps is really tough to pare down .. I wouldn't know who to cut between Rice, Jordan, McKinnon, etc.

- Baker was solid. Pretty accurate, under control, showed good poise ... did hold the ball too long on a few

- Chubb looked to have better vision IMO. Maybe he's adapting.

- Next time it's FOR REAL
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 02:23 AM
Everyone starting this game did good. It was pleasing to watch. We moved the ball at will against Lion's backups.

It's just preseason.

I'm ready for regular season. This was just appetizers.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 02:24 AM
Quote:
Dayes is someone who I've always wished got more of a shot ... I hope he sticks (and Hilliard impressed too) .. tough to lose 1 or both of them

I like both players, but Hillard gives us a nice KO option to Peppers.

I don't think that anyone won the 6th WR, by tonights performance.

I hope that none of the injuries are long term.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 02:27 AM
Quote:
The DB corps is really tough to pare down .. I wouldn't know who to cut between Rice, Jordan, McKinnon, etc.

Dont forget the rookie ... but I like Mckinnon and Rice.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 02:53 AM
Lions backups are hideous.

Baked looked solid.

All RB looked good. Hillard and Dayes made solid displays and should get onto another team.

Orchard finally made a nice play. L
I also liked the blocking for Nate, I think Currie did it.

Cool to see hard knocks with Nates big play and Cajuste's too.

I liked the effort. It looked unbalanced against Detroit though.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 03:14 AM
I got the Detroit feed on NFL Network. Chris Spielman was trashing the Lions a lot of the time.
Posted By: Spiritbro77 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 03:39 AM
I would have said dump Orchard and keep Nasib until this week. I've always hoped Nasib would stick here as a rotational guy. But then I saw him on Hard Knocks talking @#$%^ to Coach Haley. That was very disrespectful. If they keep Nasib and cut Orchard I'll be fine with it, but if it were me I'd keep Orchard and the rookie and Nasib would go...

This could be a really good defense. We improved our secondary immensely and our pass rush should be stiff. If we can stuff the run... Teams might have a tough time playing against this D. If we run the ball like I hope we do and limit the other guys possessions we could win some games. Run the ball, play good D, manage the clock, strike when the other guy becomes complacent... It can win games.

I would feel a lot better if they pick up a solid vet at WR during cuts. We have first shot at it and we should take advantage of that. Landry is a player you can build an offense with. He WANTS it. But with two players in the WR-room you can't rely on, having another veteran on board would feel very reassuring.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 03:43 AM
Dayes played so well, and then suffered an ankle injury. I feel bad for him, because I don't know whether we keep 4 RD, 4 TFE, or a FB, but I think he's in that group under consideration. He showed great burst on his TD run.

I think that Cajuste is also in competition for that same spot.

I also hope that Burgess is OK.

I hated to see some guys make big plays, and then big mistakes.

I really hope that Baker learns to speed thing up. He is still a little slow in his vision and decision making. He seems to be willing to study, so hopefully he'll learn as the season progresses, and he gets to really study tape.

I was glad to see Orchard make a big play. I think his time is done here, but I have to admit that I have a soft spot for a guy who is such a loving father.

I think that Janis is gone. I just don't see him as having done enough, and Jarvis Landry has really established himself as the veteran leader. With Higgins also stepping up as a veteran presence on the field, Janis is almost certainly gone.

I have a feeling that either Board or Scott will make the team as a PR. (at least initially) I really do think that Haley likes some of his young guys at WR.

Colquitt/Vogel could be a harder decision that I ever thought.

I think the team likes Simeon Thomas, as a big CB, but he is still raw. Do they risk him on the practice squad?

I really like Zaycoven Henderson as a plug on the inside of the DL .... but I think that he's probably either a practice squad kid, or maybe if even destined for another team. I think he's got a future, though, but maybe on a true 3-4 team.

I think that Ratley will make the team, as the guy who is inactive on gamedays. I think that he has potential as that big receiver so many teams covet.

I wonder if Gaines makes the team, or heads to IR.

I think that most of the roster is set, but the last 5 or 6 spots will be interesting. I imagine that there will be a shocker or 2.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 03:52 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I got the Detroit feed on NFL Network. Chris Spielman was trashing the Lions a lot of the time.

Well, it was deserved. I thought Spielman was very good... it was like football 101 listening to him.
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 04:19 AM

Freddie Kitchens calls a nice game.

The Browns defense is no joke. There will be a couple games this season where we get things going early offensively, and boat race an opponent... because of the defense. Write it down. With all the talent, we also have a tenacity. Teams won't like that too much when they're down and Greg Williams has us pin our ears back. Will be fun to watch a defense play with a lead occasionally.

Cajuste still shows that he's a "feast or famine" player. Don't think he makes the cut.

Baker Mayfield looks the part. He threw some beautiful balls tonight. Two of the prettiest were drops. Some of the criticism for holding the ball too long is unjust. He looks to be a QB who will have an uncanny ability to anticipate pressure and move well in the pocket. When it breaks down he flushes, keeps his eyes down field, and throws it away when necessary. He moves and freezes defenders with a solid pump-fake. QBs who can do these things well make game-changing plays out of a throw away down. Big Ben makes a living of it. Hat's off to Baker... solid start buddy boy.

Nate Orchard "made the cut" tonight. Great instincts to get his hands up, that's the way you play the position. None of his goofs this preseason have shown a lack of energy, and tonight did not disappoint. He also seems like a great guy with two adorable kids. I'm all for as much "professional football player" as we can get when we look at the last few years... heck, the last few weeks.

Hard Knocks has us spoiled. Next year's preseason is gonna suck.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 04:25 AM
I think Nate Orchard made the cut when Kendricks didn't make the cut.
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 04:38 AM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I think Nate Orchard made the cut when Kendricks didn't make the cut.

Hit that nail on the head. That was definitely the biggest deciding factor. I still don't think it was a done deal 'til he lumbered down the field into the endzone.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 07:28 AM
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

Baked looked solid.

So, who’s the player we’re going to nickname Shake?

Then we’ll have, Shake and Bake.

This one might even get us a Thanksgiving game.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 07:59 AM
agreed on Spielman ... he was disgusted with Detroit's play

in terms of who makes the team ... guys like Orchard, Scott, Cajuste, etc might initially make it, but their jobs are not safe for long if we can upgrade obviously
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 10:16 AM
j/c:

--Most importantly, I really like the helmets w/out the stripes. The entire uniform looks so much better.

--Someone mentioned that Orchard made the squad when Kendricks did not. I don't see it that way. They play different positions in Williams defense. I think Burgess was going to make the team and now Bello might also make the team.

--I think I would rather have Orchard make the team over Nassib, but based on the lack of the latter's playing time last night, it appears his snarky self already made the squad.

--I like the speed and quickness of both Deyes and Hilliard over Chubb's.

--I would not be shocked to see Cajuste make the team over DeValve.

--McKinnon has the longest arms. Man! He had a up-and-down night, though. That special team's gaffe could hurt him.

--I like Jackson over Board, but both will probably get axed.

--#69 on the OL looked pretty good at times.

--Some of our top O-line guys played way more than I thought. You were more right than I was, Diam.

--Baker was more good than bad, but the bad concerns me. First the good. His arm is legit. I don't get the claim that he has a noodle arm. He was accurate. He moved in the pocket well. He made quick decisions when his first guy was open. My concern is that when his first read isn't open, he seemingly looks clueless. That's a pretty big concern moving forward. Not all will get that, but those who have listened to me talk about reading post-snap coverages over the years will get what I'm saying.

--A huge bright spot for me this preseason is just how much faster our defense looks. We have guys flying around. I think it's a combination of having some faster guys and guys being more comfortable in Williams' defense.

--Glad I didn't have to listen to the Brown's announcers. I love listening to Chris Spielman. The guy was one of the most intelligent on-the-field football players I ever watched. I also love how honest and frank he is. I personally like the passion, although I can see why the soccer crowd is probably turned off by it. LOL
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 10:43 AM
- I thought Harrison (young LT #69) showed some promise as well .. it would be REALLY nice if he could at least hold down a backup T spot until year 3-4

- I'm okay with keeping Harrison and Robinson as backups at T, keeping Watford and Drango as backup Gs
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 11:47 AM
Quote from fate...
Baker Mayfield looks the part. He threw some beautiful balls tonight. Two of the prettiest were drops. Some of the criticism for holding the ball too long is unjust. He looks to be a QB who will have an uncanny ability to anticipate pressure and move well in the pocket. When it breaks down he flushes, keeps his eyes down field, and throws it away when necessary. He moves and freezes defenders with a solid pump-fake. QBs who can do these things well make game-changing plays out of a throw away down. Big Ben makes a living of it. Hat's off to Baker... solid start buddy boy.

I agree here. People say he holds the ball to long but it isn't at the expense of taking a sack. He holds the ball when he has time. When the pressure arrives he either gets out of the pocket or makes the throw.
In the end he seems to make the right decision with the ball. His pocket presence is uncanny. You just never see that from a rookie.
On a side note.. Everyone please don't forget your tanning oil and sunglasses!
Posted By: willitevachange Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 11:49 AM
Quote:
--Glad I didn't have to listen to the Brown's announcers. I love listening to Chris Spielman. The guy was one of the most intelligent on-the-field football players I ever watched. I also love how honest and frank he is. I personally like the passion, although I can see why the soccer crowd is probably turned off by it. LOL
He was great to listen too, and refreshing. The one play I don't know if you remember, it was short run up the middle for us. The Def tackler comes in and tries to strip the ball, and instead of wrapping him up, and we get a few extra.

He makes them rewind the tape and is BLASTING the guy. I loved it. He is fearless in the booth.

I don't get the Noodle arm thing either. The kid has been clocked and rated as the 2nd strongest arm in the draft class. And he was throwing some lasers last night. The one over the middle that was his second incompletion, was a legit hardline laser.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 11:54 AM
--Yeah, I remember that play. I was laughing my ass off when Chris went off.

--I wouldn't put too much stock into the Combine test. I heard it's not a good way to gauge arm strength. With that said, Baker's arm is strong. It's not an issue at all. He also throws some beautiful spirals.

--One other thing I forgot to mention is Patricia has been clueless as the HC for Detroit. Some of his decisions, like the long FG before halftime last week have been horrid. He also has the absolute worst body language on the sidelines. Glad we didn't end up w/that guy.
Posted By: Deepsouthdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 12:04 PM
I totally disagree with ya on Chubb and Rb evaluation. He has good vision and quick feet. No he isn't a burner, he is between the tackles pounder. He has improved each and every week. I think that style is what we need and might be the direction we go. Dayes fits more so than Hilliard... I though he was bad. Goes down to easy on first contact. No leg drive between the tackles. To his defense that's not what he is.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 12:26 PM
Post game thoughts:

My boy BROGAN looked decent out there! I loved that TD pass he threw. Hopefully he gets a shot on PS or another roster.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 12:32 PM
- No one has mentioned him yet, but I was impressed with Roback. He has some pretty good touch, doesn't mind pushing the ball down the field, especially when the WR is 1 on 1 with a DB. That quick side arm throw under pressure had a flash of Matthew Stafford. Hope we can keep him on the PS.

- The Orchard INT was pretty impressive. To catch a pass like that is not an easy task, then he took off with some decent speed. I think we end up keeping 4 DEs, and Orchard will be #4.

- The RB's did what the heck they wanted to do. Credit to the o-line, who needed a game like that, and credit to the RBs for making some nice moves. Chubb, Dayes, and Hilliard all looked good.

- Not sure who will be the 5th WR. I do know Janis WONT be. I saw a lot of 1 on 1 opportunities, and the odds were never in our WRs favor. DB's made the play darn near every single time.

- Its been tough trying to keep up with all the 3rd string DBs, but our guys have played pretty well across the board, especially in man coverage. Some more tough decisions will be made when calling the 53 man roster.

- Tired of seeing offensive PI calls. I think we only had 1, but still. Penalties in general were horrible last night.

- Baker looked good. Yes, he holds the ball a long time, and that cannot happen against 1's, but he keeps his eyes down field, and he has good feel of the pocket. He makes it work. Love his accuracy, and he can fling it when need be.

Good Game! Go Browns!
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 12:37 PM
I enjoyed the heck out of that game.. fun to watch the Browns dominate even if it's just Preseason and second stringers..

I think Kosar was right when he mentioned that Detroit's D was playing vanilla,, nothing complex. He didn't want to detract from the good night Baker and the O had but he did say it wasn't even the best of a second team D.

Our D on the other hand, brought the house.. man they were just playing as if it were the Superbowl...LOL No vanilla there.

I want Cajuste to make it, not sure he will. That's not based on his play, although I thought he was decent, it's based on his Hard Knocks showing.. Seems like a good kid. Can't help but root for him. Dayes has the Job locked up IMO.

Hope CJ Board is ok..

A LB went down, not sure if he's hurt seriously (name escapes me at the moment, maybe Brantley)

I gotta say this, Mayfield, dispite the Detroit D playing Vanilla, put the ball where he had to and made plays.

I really see what the Browns saw in him.

They said it last night on the broadcast, and I agree, there will be quite a few of the guys we cut will get a show elsewhere.. That's gotta be a first.

All in all, a fun night watching football.. Very enjoyable.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 12:41 PM
I saw enough to make me eager for the real thang. I could not believe how relaxed I was and how much I was enjoying it. Hats off to some good efforts.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 12:42 PM
j/c

Let me preface this comment by saying I'm not an OL expert, all I can see with whether the is making his blocks or not. I don't have the background to speak about the footwork that others talk about.

I just watched the first half this morning, paying particular attention to the LT, #69 Desmond Harrison. He was lined up against Detroit's #49 Freddie Bishop most of the time. I think Bishop was in on 1 tackle, and that a run up the middle where the runner was stacked up. Other than that, Bishop was a non-factor.

Harrison looked very good, I thought, aside from his jumping the snap in the first series. On passing plays he kept his assignment out of the pocket, and on running plays he opened holes. He knocked his assignment to the ground at least 3 times. The 1 play where it looked like he got beat, turned out to be a successful screen pass.

Now, how much of that was his ability and how much was the Lions' ineptitude, I can't say. But for a rookie out of West Georgia, I'd say he has a future. I doubt he makes it to the PS.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 12:44 PM
days really grabbed my attention. We haven't had a breakaway threat like he showed for awhile. Keeper.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 12:58 PM
Gotta love the footballs headband:

Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 01:42 PM
Posted By: BADdog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 01:51 PM
I saw two bad passes. Everything else was on the money Wow. the screen pass was great it shows he has the touch as well as the arm.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 02:21 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
I saw two bad passes. Everything else was on the money Wow. the screen pass was great it shows he has the touch as well as the arm.

Yeah, I don't know how you can watch that and be disappointed. I have a friend who is a Denver fan and even he was raving about Baker. The kid has a pocket presence, like the best of them. He can shift around and buy time. He needs to learn his pre-snap reads and go through his progressions a little bit better, but that's only going to improve with time. That is exactly why you let him sit on the bench. No need to give him David Carr/Tim Couch Disease in his first year while the rest of the Browns offense finds their footing.

Cuts this year is going to be tough! Some of these guys might actually find work with other teams. When was the last time we could say that. We could probably start our own thread about that. The RB position is 5 deep, and I thought both Hillard and Dayes had great games. I was really impressed with Hillard. That's a pretty shifty dude. It's a shame that we'll probably have to cut one of them.

Wide Receiver is going to be tough. Did anyone really stand out for that 6th spot? I think Ratley is a lock for the 5th spot, and he did well again last night. I don't know who gets the last spot. Janis looked terrible (again). Jackson had a nice TD grab at the end and I'm willing to give him a spot just for that Landry Speech spoof, but I think he's probably a good Practice Squad candidate. I'm almost thinking we should carry 4 tight ends, as Cajuste has shown himself to be a better receiving threat than any of the other receivers. Even with that bad drop he had.

As far as QB's, I've coined the phrase Broback's Disease for QBs that can't help but throw it deep every time. I think he threw 3 passes that were under 10 yards the whole night. The dude let it rip. I think he's already penned in as an ideal Practice Squad candidate, but I really wouldn't mind if we kept him over Stanton.

That Nate Orchard snag and TD was just sick! As much as he's labored the fact that he's not getting sacks, he's still at least generating pressure. He forced the QBs into making a few bad throws just by running in there. I think that TD grab though might cement him a spot on the team.

Great game all around. Can't remember the last time the Browns rolled up the score and looked comfortably in control the entire game.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 03:10 PM
I couldn't draw a lot from this game. I mean the Lions starting D is bad, much less the back up D so it is what it is. Other than a hand full of our players who were in the game, most of them were bubble players and fighting for their jobs. Nothing like anything we'll see on either side of the ball in regular season. With that in mind, here goes nuthin'.

Baker is developing. While this may sound a bit strange, one of the most impressive things I saw from him was when he threw the ball away. From memory, it was twice he did so. Young QB's tend to panic which leads to mistakes. And I did see him gamble on a pass he threw into traffic over the middle which I'm sure he wishes he hadn't thrown. But you'll have that on occasion from every QB.

But watching a kid throw the ball away to live another down is HUGE! It shows he cares more about the team than his stats or making highlight reels. It shows he's smart and doesn't panic under pressure. He's certainly developing. You can see him make some progressions instead of staring down WR's.

This kid wasn't asked to do a lot of things an NFL QB needs to do when he was in college. So it's certainly been a mountain for him to climb. But he is making his way up that mountain.

Cajuste seems to be on the tips of everyone's tongues these days so I paid attention to him. Holding call on the opening kickoff and a big drop on a good pass over the middle. You gotta wrap that ball up and put it away.

Orchard made a great play but I simply don't think it will be enough to save him from all the misses he's had thus far. Last year was year three for him and he didn't step up. So far it's looking like year four won't be that year either.

As we should have all learned last year if you hadn't by then, preseason doesn't mean Jack. But going into the regular season with a win has to be better than going into the regular season with a loss.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 08/31/18 05:19 PM

For the guys fighting for a roster spot this game means everything.

I saw a lot of effort out there. Given that the first string was not playing it was very encouraging.

Browns management has some tough decisions to make.

The development of Baker is very encouraging. Taking into consideration that he was playing with all kinds of different guys. I don't know what more can be asked of him.

His ball placement was excellent. Accuracy check. Decision making check. I loved throwing the ball away. Lots of rookies try to hard to make things happen. Then you see the errors. Pocket poise? Man he is way ahead of schedule. Leadership? Thanks to Hard Knocks. It is obvious his teammates believe in him already. Quite an accomplishment for a rookie. Pre and post snap reads? Hard to judge that this early. I mean OTA's, camp, and pre-season games. What can you expect.

Hue loves Baker. Obvious.

The thing that will be interesting is Hue's patience with Tyrod. I am pulling for Tyrod. I want Baker to sit.

But if Tyrod is unable to move the team? We shall see. Hopefully that will not be the case.

Clearly Baker will be breathing down his neck.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/01/18 12:51 AM
Everybody is talking about Orchard, because he made one good play. IMO, the dude has done nothing this preseason to say he makes the team. People are also bashing Nassib because of his antics on HK. But to my untrained eye, as I have been zeroing in on these two, Nassib is the superior player. He is always close to the ball. He has a knack for batting balls down, and he never stops. He is also much better at setting the edge.

IMO, hard knocks has tainted peoples minds. I'm reading where people want Orchard to make the team, because, "he's a nice family guy". Great for some reality show, but we need football players. I likes Orchard in the past, but with our lack of talent, he looked better than the rest. IMO, if he wasn't featured on Hard Knocks, most would say he is gone tomorrow, based on his play.

I don't understand all the love for Hilliard. He played against the worst of the worst, on a team that was going thru the motions. Dayes, I always liked, but when the regular season comes around and he gets a carry or two, he looks mediocre at best. I think he will stick mainly because of his ST play.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/01/18 12:55 AM
I kinda disagree w/you about all of that, but that's cool. We all see different things.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/01/18 01:01 AM
I just think Nassib's motor is nonstop. I don't think either is a great player, but Nassib does create push and is always close to the ball. The Orchard INT, was a great play though, and in the past he has flashed. It's hard for me, since in the past with this team, they would be considered starters. Now they are just trying to make the roster.

I like that
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/01/18 02:56 AM
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
Everybody is talking about Orchard, because he made one good play. IMO, the dude has done nothing this preseason to say he makes the team. People are also bashing Nassib because of his antics on HK. But to my untrained eye, as I have been zeroing in on these two, Nassib is the superior player. He is always close to the ball. He has a knack for batting balls down, and he never stops. He is also much better at setting the edge.

IMO, hard knocks has tainted peoples minds. I'm reading where people want Orchard to make the team, because, "he's a nice family guy". Great for some reality show, but we need football players. I likes Orchard in the past, but with our lack of talent, he looked better than the rest. IMO, if he wasn't featured on Hard Knocks, most would say he is gone tomorrow, based on his play.

Carl Nassib setting the edge? The games I've seen him, he has been a HUGE liability in the run game, which is why you typically only saw him on passing downs last season.

I like Nassibs length in batting balls, but I see Nassib with only a very small edge on Orchard in terms of consistency.

Hopefully both continue to get better, but realistically, neither will get a 2nd contract from the Browns.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/02/18 10:54 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawg_LB

No to rain on BM parade, but I saw nothing impressive,considering he was the mumber one pick, he was ok/good like he was supposed while playing backups. Big windows, no passes outside the number. Ol was doing a good job for most of the time.9/16, 56% completions... nothing to rave about, he has to be on the high 60% level.

I liked Roback....
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 12:12 AM
Imagine that. Coming from you. Who'da thunk it?
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 12:25 AM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

I DID NOT see that coming at all.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 01:22 AM
Originally Posted By: FATE

Shocking. Just shocking.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 01:55 AM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

Shocking. Just shocking.

You know...............I get these types of comments. However, why the hell do you guys not make similar posts when guys like WSU, Memphis, device, etc hijack threads and trash Hue?

Why is it okay for them to get away w/similar posting styles--and doing it far more often than rasta does?
Posted By: jfanent Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 12:09 PM
Quote:
Why the hell do you guys not make similar posts when guys like WSU, Memphis, device, etc hijack threads and trash Hue?

Yeah!

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 12:20 PM
Edit. Inappropriate.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 01:20 PM

Shocking. Just shocking.

Was it not true though?

You guys are talking about BM like he was a round 3 QB... He was the number one pick. Honestly with 4 games in the process and I still fail to see anything special... He didn't suck, and that was it.

And contrary to almost everybody's opinion, I think we have been kind of good drafting and signing QB's that don't suck, what we fail is in signing the good ones.

Chubb is also a bit disappointing, playing against backups a good player has to do much,much more.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 02:42 PM
If you don't see a good+ arm, and amazing accuracy, then you need glasses.

Baker needs to speed up the mental side of things. That's his biggest challenge right now. It appears that this is happening. His size hasn't been a problem. He has been able to scan the entire field, and has consistently worked through his progressions, when his 1st read isn't there.
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/03/18 04:25 PM

Baker needs to speed up the mental side of things. That's his biggest challenge right now. It appears that this is happening. His size hasn't been a problem. He has been able to scan the entire field, and has consistently worked through his progressions, when his 1st read isn't there.

QFT

What do you expect to see Rastan? How would you rate the other QBs in this class after their brief time on the field? He was the #1 pick because we had the #1 pick. We were drafting a QB because we needed one. For those reasons, all you can do is compare him to the rest of the class, a very premature comparison at that. I don't see anyone in this rookie class looking better... and most making me cringe a bit.

Here's Wentz's first outing (first preseason game that he played a full two quarters+) — 12 of 24, 89 yards, no touchdowns and an interception. Nobody was saying "Well, he was just above the suck line." Why? Because he showed that there was a good chance that he could adapt to NFL level play... If you haven't seen that from Baker, I don't know what to say bro!
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/04/18 02:06 PM

How can you access accuracy when he is throwing to such big windows?

Most of his passes are to wide open receivers, he does not throw it, or is not allowed, any other way. He is under 60% of completions, more on the 55% side, so how come he is an accurate passer?

Now QB's don't go over 60% by just making passes to wide open receivers, that is not how it works. They go above 60% because they are quick accurate passers, good decision making, arm to make the throws and talent to do it.

Good+ arm, IMHO is someone like Garapollo, BM has a very average arm IMHO, average for a starting NFL QB.

You could see the arm difference between Roback and Baker, and Brogan's arm is solid, not spectacular... Baker is some notches above Colt, but not that many, IMHO.

He definitively is not scanning the field, you are just seeing what you want to see.

IMHO he would be solid if we were talking about a 3rd round pick, but he has been average at the most for a first pick. Looking at his competition, Rosen, Darnold and Allen, I would say disappointing.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/04/18 03:00 PM
"--Baker was more good than bad, but the bad concerns me. First the good. His arm is legit. I don't get the claim that he has a noodle arm. He was accurate. He moved in the pocket well. He made quick decisions when his first guy was open. My concern is that when his first read isn't open, he seemingly looks clueless. That's a pretty big concern moving forward. Not all will get that, but those who have listened to me talk about reading post-snap coverages over the years will get what I'm saying. "

I share,more or less the same view,just not the expectations.

The noodle arm stuff is just an over reaction to people raving about his arm, although I have seen many posters here saying Colt and Hoyer had noodle arms, without many rants...

Now,just curious, in the 32 starting QB's, where would you rank BM's arm? IMHO he is clearly on the bottom third... but maybe its only me.

Also strange to see that many posters who were never supporters of the JG trade now raving about BM...
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/04/18 05:38 PM

Here ya go...

11 picture perfect passes (two were dropped)

3 throw aways - that's right, a QB that lives to play another down instead of making stupid throws... shame!

1 overthrown - Callaway, end zone, throwing a low percentage pass where only the WR can catch it. (Callaway still had an outside shot if not interfered with)

1 late - led receiver out of bounds after a rollout and nothing left of the play... again - throwing the ball where only his WR could catch it.

Are you actually blaming a QB for being "on time, on target"? What's wrong with throwing perfect passes to open windows? He's hitting receivers in stride and that's a bad thing?

Posted By: rastanplan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/05/18 02:13 PM

Here ya go...

11 picture perfect passes (two were dropped)

3 throw aways - that's right, a QB that lives to play another down instead of making stupid throws... shame!

1 overthrown - Callaway, end zone, throwing a low percentage pass where only the WR can catch it. (Callaway still had an outside shot if not interfered with)

1 late - led receiver out of bounds after a rollout and nothing left of the play... again - throwing the ball where only his WR could catch it.

Are you actually blaming a QB for being "on time, on target"? What's wrong with throwing perfect passes to open windows? He's hitting receivers in stride and that's a bad thing?

I would say 11 passes any other QB could have made them... picture perfect... you need to adjust your TV...

Most of the passes I've seen from BM were done with big windows and open receivers, that was the impression I had from the 4 pre-season games.

No QB in the NFL can succeed throwing only with big windows,he has to risk it,something he seldom did in the 4 games. Now if you don't do it in pre-season when is he going to do it?

I've seen Rosen, Darnold, Allen and even Lamar do what they were supposed to do. Baker was/is supposed to be a 70% completion QB... haven't seen that.

What is more, yes he displayed some of the things that were his strengths, he indeed has a good short and intermediate ball, but he didn't disprove the ones criticizing him...

Bakers doubts were:
1) He is an engineered QB, his numbers came from throwing into big windows, playing behind a great OL
2) He holds the ball to long, and has problems taking decisions
3) He does not take risks, yes he does not turn the ball but he won't be moving the chains in an average/bad team.
4) He stares into receivers (he improved that a little on the last games)
5) His arm is average at most, average in the sense that he is on bottom third in arm strength/talent of NFL QB starters
6) His physical attributes are bad.
7) He has happy feet, starts moving way before the pocket is even threatened.

Now, IMHO, none off his weaknesses has been disproved, and honestly, IMHO, he has displayed a very low ceiling although I agree that the floor is high also, but like we all know.

Having average QB's has never been an issue for the Browns, we are the backup QB factory of the NFL....
Posted By: FATE Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/05/18 03:25 PM

That's cool, we all see things differently. Yes, wide open windows, still - balls were thrown to the perfect spot for YAC, we haven't seen that in years. I just can't wrap my mind around the concept that a rookie QB should avoid open windows and throw into tighter windows - just to prove he can.

Should a rookie pitcher constantly get behind in the count just to prove he can battle back?

Should a young boxer, reserve his knockout power and get behind on the scorecards just to prove he can fight into the later rounds?

There's a time and a place - as long as you can identify the open WR and throw into a big window, you should be doing that... and we should be applauding it lol.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/05/18 04:13 PM
To add... I watch other teams on Sundays. Usually while doing so I see QBs hitting wide open receivers at times and think to myself, “why do our receivers never get that open?”. Brady is constantly throwing to tiny white wide open receivers. Maybe ours have been getting wide open and we just never had a QB that could find them? Or maybe they weren’t but we have some that can now?
Either way I can find faults in Baker’s game at this point in his young career but throwing accurate passes to wide open receivers isn’t one of them.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/05/18 04:45 PM
Quote:
Most of the passes I've seen from BM were done with big windows and open receivers, that was the impression I had from the 4 pre-season games.

No QB in the NFL can succeed throwing only with big windows,he has to risk it,something he seldom did in the 4 games. Now if you don't do it in pre-season when is he going to do it?

I've seen Rosen, Darnold, Allen and even Lamar do what they were supposed to do. Baker was/is supposed to be a 70% completion QB... haven't seen that.

I think you are seeing what you want to see.. discounting Mayfield's throws and inflating other QBs throws.

Just sat and watched every throw of Darnold in week 3 and his top 5 plays of the preseason... a couple nice throws he fit into a tight window.. a lot of throws to pretty open guys while he was scrambling around outside the pocket or dancing his feet around inside the pocket... A couple to wide open guys that were catchable but not accurate enough for YAC.... I saw absolutely nothing in his throws that I haven't also seen in Mayfield.
Posted By: rastanplan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 09/07/18 01:36 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I think you are seeing what you want to see.. discounting Mayfield's throws and inflating other QBs throws.

Just sat and watched every throw of Darnold in week 3 and his top 5 plays of the preseason... a couple nice throws he fit into a tight window.. a lot of throws to pretty open guys while he was scrambling around outside the pocket or dancing his feet around inside the pocket... A couple to wide open guys that were catchable but not accurate enough for YAC.... I saw absolutely nothing in his throws that I haven't also seen in Mayfield.

Tom Brady has a 64% completion percent in his career. You don't get this just by throwing to wide open receivers,you do it taking risks. He has a 3 TD's to every Int he has, and 2% of his passes are Int's, which is very good, but also shows that he is taking risks, he's just the best one doing that.

BM is far from showing any of this numbers, very far from it, he is on the 50's even playing against backups, so...

Comp % in the NFL is a pretty good indicator of a good QB (except for Chad Pennington), and it is my feeling that this was the motivation behind drafting Baker, being consistent on having high comp. percentages.

© DawgTalkers.net