DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: BADdog computer battery? - 05/18/13 06:59 PM
Will a faster processor drain a battery faster.
I am looking at 2 laptops one with a 2.4 pentium on with a 1.4 amd.
Wouldnt the amd last longer on a charge?"
Posted By: Nelson37 Re: computer battery? - 05/18/13 08:03 PM
As a very general rule, a slower speed with the same type chip, would use less power. Most likely a slower processor will come with a smaller battery, or one of less capacity.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: computer battery? - 05/18/13 08:28 PM
Battery life depends on a number of factors. On most laptops you can adjust your power settings to throttle down CPU performance when your computer is running on battery power. I wouldn't worry to much about how much power the CPU uses. The screen is, by far, the biggest drain on the battery. Go with the higher performing processor.

Good luck!
Posted By: BADdog Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 12:13 AM
I need a 5 hour battery life. So I can listen to browns games at a sport bar.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 12:24 AM
I bought a spare, extra life battery for my laptop when I was in college. I then charged it up along with the standard battery and got through a long day.
Posted By: Browns Lifer Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 01:00 AM
I would think there are enough options to reduce the laptop's power consumption that you easily get 5 hours of battery life. My work computer is almost two years old and I can get six hours out of a fully-charged battery pretty easily by turning down the screen brightness alone.
Posted By: BADdog Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 04:10 AM
I turn everything down. I am looking at two laptops they seem to be identical except for the processors. I am thinking the lower processor will give me better battery time.
anyone else agree?
Posted By: Kingcob Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 07:10 AM
web page

On a quick google search 50% of the battery is going to your screen.

According to my google searches the difference of power usage between the two processors is very minimal. (i3 vs. i5) I would opt for the higher processor power to save you the need of buying another laptop later on. You will be better off opting for a smaller screen or reducing your brightness settings.

The link above has some tips on how to reduce the drain on your laptop's battery for extended business use.

Some laptops like the lenovo thinkpad series you can optionally purchase a 9 cell battery instead of a 6 cell. Those things will last a loooong time. (in some cases 20+ hours with a small enough screen) And dell offers a huge battery that connects underneath your laptop that lasts for like 30 hours

/nerd
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 12:05 PM
Quote:

In that case set the screen to shut off after a couple minutes, the audio should maintain while the screen is off reducing battery consumption by a lot.
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 02:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

In that case set the screen to shut off after a couple minutes, the audio should maintain while the screen is off reducing battery consumption by a lot.

+ 1, or if you need the screen, reduce it's brightness!
Posted By: BADdog Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 03:09 PM
I know about the settings. I have the screen shut off. and dim when it is on.
I am trying to figure out the processor drain on the two computers I am considering. and if they will be a factor.
Posted By: BADdog Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 03:31 PM
So i did a chat with a B and H photo guy.
He said a faster processor will actually conserve battery life.

If any one needs good photo or computer equipment cheap. B and H is a great online store.
Posted By: BADdog Re: computer battery? - 05/19/13 09:37 PM
I am typing this from my new laptop. Ill let you know how it goes
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: computer battery? - 05/21/13 04:16 AM
The title reads like battery is a verb; thus I envisioned a computer commiting an act of mild assault, like one person striking another.

I didn't read it closely enough.
Posted By: BADdog Re: computer battery? - 05/21/13 11:07 PM
Got it, did a test. I got 3 hours of radio play with 67 percent left. I think I will be fine.
My last laptop I had to plug in for a recharge at half time to make it thru the game.

I got the cheapest laptop I could find $334. A new HP. I hate HPs but I could not find a better deal.
© DawgTalkers.net