DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dave Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 12:27 PM
I guess we're all watching more TV these days, and I was thinking about the hundreds and hundreds of sitcoms, westerns, police/private eye, war, and variety shows since the 50's and how their theme songs and opening scenes stay with you. Part of it is the music, of course, but the visuals are also a part of what made them memorable, I think. Anyway, here's a few of mine, how about you?

Bosch

Sopranos

Miami Vice

Rockford Files

The Untouchables

Cool thread idea.

For me it's NCIS: New Orleans
Posted By: FATE Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 01:37 PM
I remember many late nights with Mary Jane... and me and my buddy splitting duties on the instruments. He usually rocked out the drums.

Posted By: FATE Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 01:38 PM
Vers FTW with Ironside. Man, it's been a long time, that was my favorite show as a kid.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 01:48 PM

Speaking of oldies, I loved this one for some unclear reason.

Posted By: Dave Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: FATE
I remember many late nights with Mary Jane... and me and my buddy splitting duties on the instruments. He usually rocked out the drums.

This was another fave for me. Steve McGarrett was just too cool, the way he always showed up in his big convertible. He come in at about 60 MPH and screech to a stop while getting out of the car. Book'm, Danno.
Posted By: FATE Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 02:27 PM
Yep. Watched that show religiously - even at 11:30pm on school nights lol.
Posted By: Dave Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 02:34 PM
Its funny that I remember theme songs for shows I never watched. When I was a kid, I was never allowed to stay up late enough to watch shows like The Untouchables because they came on at 10PM, and bedtime was 9:30, lights out at 10. I would just lay in bed listening and wishing I could stay up to see them. Another like that is Peter Gunn ...

Taxi

Hill Street Blues

Sanford and Son

Rockford Files

Those are off the top of my head.

(Taxi, by far, is first.)
I have always liked the intro to Law and Order.

Theme songs for TV shows just aren't what they used to be. I mean sure, some of them are catchy and all, but from a musical content perspective, they're pretty shallow compared to the content of the old shows.

The musical content and mastery of those old shows are pretty much gone now. There is one new show which is on HBO that I just love the theme song to. Westworld.

I also sort of liked the long version of the theme song (earlier seasons) to The Bob Newhart Show.
Cheers
Fresh Prince of Bel Air
Drew Carey Show (All 3 of them)
Posted By: Dave Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 06:18 PM
Originally Posted By: AZBrown
I also sort of liked the long version of the theme song (earlier seasons) to The Bob Newhart Show.

Chicago Newhart or Vermont Newhart? I liked the Vermont Newhart show better, and also the theme song.
How about Taxi ! Loved the Magnum and peter gun .. Maybe the Streets of San Fransisco , if you like horns ..
I also liked Mary Tyler Moore
Ok, Hill street blues and Barney Miller !
Green Acres
...and the Batman theme used to throw us kids into a frenzy.

And this one:

Originally Posted By: Dave

Chicago Newhart or Vermont Newhart? I liked the Vermont Newhart show better, and also the theme song.

Chicago
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
How about Taxi !

Bob James' tune was the best TV theme ever, IMO.
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Barney Miller !

Another great one. I can still remember the bass line.
Posted By: Dave Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave

Chicago

My wife and I used to go to quite a few ballgames at old Municipal Stadium, and back in the early 80's we would get upper reserve seats behind home plate. We started chatting with the usher one evening and it turned out that his son was a regular on the Chicago Newhart show. He played one of the patients that Bob was treating named Elliott something - his real name was Jack Riley. The character he played was this surly neurotic guy, and he was hilarious.
I'm a fan of the old western TV shows. How about the songs for The Rifleman and Rawhide.
Bonanza haha that’s etched into my head
Hogan's Heroes
Three's Company
M*A*S*H
The Andy Griffith Show
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
This intro kinda spooked me as a kid...

https://youtu.be/8VI9mUyG_f0

Gotta add this classic piece...UFO

https://youtu.be/1qDy4OMAkgY
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/14/20 09:58 PM
Battlestar Galactica

The Rifleman

Then of course Gummi Bears
Galactia is available on the channel "Comet", (Monday through Thursday on channel 289 on Dish) along with some of my favorites, Quantum Leap, Sliders, and Babylon 5.
5’oclock world
Jack Riley was from Cleveland. I believe he was part of the Ernie Anderson/Tim Conway pack.
IMO, the best TV theme is from Simon & Simon. Actual upbeat instrumental SONG.
Too Many Cooks was good.
I saw it on Comet, but I have the entire series on DVD. It's my favorite show of all time, but Breaking Bad is pretty close.
I keep old TV shows on in the morning while I’m doing stuff around the house ... the late 80s/early 90s offer some good ones haha (even though the shows were not great) ... Who’s the Boss, Family Matters, Full House, etc

https://youtu.be/w5m_emrK5zE

Cosmos....the original with Carl Sagan.
I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the Game of Thrones opening yet.
Too long!
6-7 year old me loved the intro to Airwolf.

The Wonder Years was always a favorite.

Used to watch these old birds with my Grandma. Loved it.

This is the one from my childhood that I had to shout out. So epic at the time and I can't deny thinking it's still pretty cool today.

This is far from my favorite show but I always thought it had the absolute perfect opening credits to convey a sleazy, sex & drug-filled, Southern backwoods vampire show.

Classic . . .

And of course . . .
Forgot about Laverne and Shirley haha
I'm surprised that no one has shared this one yet:

Used to watch the reruns. Loved Roz.
For the other 90's kids out there....

Originally Posted By: Milk Man
For the other 90's kids out there....

You would.

I'll reciprocate.

Dylan just saved B-Walsh as he was dangling off a cliff!

Camping trip almost gone terribly wrong!

Right, but Screech and Lisa won the dance-off with Casey Kasem (not to be confused with our backup QB) as the disc jockey.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Right, but Screech and Lisa won the dance-off with Casey Kasem (not to be confused with our backup QB) as the disc jockey.

I still say it was rigged! Lisa tossed the crutches aside, did "the sprain" and it was all over.

I still say it was rigged! Lisa tossed the crutches aside, did "the sprain" and it was all over.

rofl

Well done, sir. Well done.
Yeah I keep remembering a bunch, or forgetting.

Sad that I don't have utube or twitter access so all these responses are just blank white boxes, can't tell what shows were mentioned. BuT

First theme was instant, had to be #1, even the Closing at the end was top notch.

so, sorry younger folks, I'm old, and even some older than me, the themes were better back then.

I missed partridge family and stuff like that but, was too young but

#1 is Jeffersons no doubt, and the ending everybody else is fighting for 2nd place, even umm
All in the family, which I thought I'd have 2nd but there falling cause, I gotta love the uhh
Flinstones theme so much, for #2

Then there's Sanford and Son, with the harmonica, and everybody knowing the look on the Guys face as he drives up.

And even then think about it, Love Boat, Happy Days, Brady Bunch, pfft-- ALL in the Family!

Gilligan!! I mean, it's not even a contest for mid 80's themes, folks, they had em, but could be just too young to not have known the older ones they were a little past, i'll say, Family ties, Cheers, stuff like that, but

I think Saturday morning themes need a totally different category.
DALLAS!!! oh I forgot about Dallas and Knotts Landing, and
what was the later almost like that show with, well the person fell through the elevator and ended there character, evenings about 1988-89.

Batman, Looney Tunes, (Threes' company) (ChiP'S)

Andy Griffetth whistling.

Overall-
1. Jeffersons
2. Flintstones

Oh What about SCOOBY DOO! yeah it's a no win trying to figure out.
edit: Corabn Berson was on the show I can't recall, iirc.
j/c:

Baywatch, duh....

Pluto TV has a channel completely dedicated to Baywatch.

Mitch Baywatch sure ran a tight ship!

Hobie was a turd.

I absolutely love how serious it was being a lifeguard. They were treated as though it was the U.S. Navy protecting our shores.

Loved when they'd dive off speeding boats.
Quote:
Mitch Baywatch Buchannon.

Don't do it again. rofl
Side note: Wasn't David Hasselhoff a big German singer for a time?
Yeah, and I think he still does stuff?
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Yeah, and I think he still does stuff?

Big singer in Germany...is what I meant, for the record. But I'm assuming you knew.

Sure, and sort of like seeing a picture of the White House and asking, wasn't that on Fire for a time in the war of 1812,

Not exactly His finest Hour.
j/c:

I remember watching re-runs of this show when I was a kid.

It was a running joke on Letterman: "Germans... they love 'The Hoff'"
Quote:
Mitch Baywatch Buchannon.

Don't do it again. rofl

He'll always be Mitch Baywatch! It's a well deserved and earned title!

Hobie can still go by Buchannon.

#Don'tHasselTheHoff
Sopranos and Game of thrones are probably my two favorite....
Had to add these:

And then one cartoon

In case you can't tell, I love this topic.
Here's one more
Underdog! Hah classic
Betty White is a older woman, but that chick is hot, especially when you are older and you can project back

A classy woman no man would walk away from.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/16/20 10:10 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Betty White is a older woman, but that chick is hot, especially when you are older and you can project back

Few age as gracefully.

Always loved that Fall Guy song. thumbsup
Some from the childhood that drove our parents nuts:

Posted By: Tulsa Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/16/20 01:03 PM
Man I loved the Banana Splits when I was a kid. It's amazing what amused me as a 5-7 year old. rofl crazy
Nice to see you haven't changed lol
Originally Posted By: GMdawg
Nice to see you haven't changed lol

Do you know who the director of "The Banana Splits" was?
I would have to guess either Hanna, Barbara, or Marty Krofft?
Richard Donner, who later directed Superman, and Lethal Weapon, directed a couple of seasons of the Banana Splits. wink
Posted By: FATE Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/16/20 01:31 PM
Banana Splits FTW!
Posted By: FATE Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/16/20 01:34 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/16/20 01:45 PM
And then - the best theme song ever - just one word lol.

My first favorite show as a kid, I simply would not miss an episode.

I think James Garner might be the coolest actor ever, Jim Rockford and Bret Maverick, dude was the coolest.
My favorite cartoon theme song was the Pink Panther one. Love the sax and the song was just cool.

Posted By: Dave Re: Favorite TV opening theme songs and intros - 04/16/20 02:28 PM
Identical cousins?? That is so wacky and nutty!

Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Richard Donner, who later directed Superman, and Lethal Weapon, directed a couple of seasons of the Banana Splits. wink

Did you happen to check out the Banana Splits horror movie that came out a little while ago? I did not.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Yeah, but Blanche Devereaux was the kinky one!
It's time for people to stop being polite and start being real!

RIP Pedro.
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg
oh, that’s top 5 for sure
Kind of surprised this wasn't mentioned:
jc -

Just started watching Sopranos. Great intro song. Really like that one.

Pretty much any of the 80s family sitcom openings are good and bring back a lot of memories. The best being Family Ties intro. I hear that and I'm immediately taken back to my formative years as a kid.

Had a friend of mine and his wife over about a year ago. Him, his wife and my wife and I are all about the same age. We somehow started talking about this topic and started youtubing sitcom openings of old shows. We hit them all and were drinking and singing to them and having some trips down memory lane. Good times.
I was going to mention that one, but I had to get back to work earlier.
© DawgTalkers.net