DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: DawgMichelle Coffee talk - 09/24/20 08:39 PM
I've been drinking coffee from a dripper for years, but recently broke out an old percolator. The coffee is SO much better! Yes, more hassle than pushing the start button in the morning, but I think it's worth it.

How do you like to make your coffee? What is your favorite coffee? Do you add anything to the coffee? What is your drinking vessel of choice?
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 08:56 PM
My mother was a percolator lady. She would use nothing else. Her coffee was always the best.

I use a drip, it's quick, easy and my wife likes it.

We drink Cain's coffee. It's a nice breakfast blend, it was originally made in Oklahoma City and all the local restaurants used to serve it. I got hooked on it there. Farmers Coffee bought it out and it's no longer made here, but I still drink it because it's the taste I learned to love.

I usually add a packet of sweet-n-low, unless I have to fast for a blood test or some damn thing.

I'm between favorite vessels at the moment. Just your average porcelain style cup. I had my duck cup for years and years. I don't know where I got it, one day it was in my hand and from there it was my cup of choice. It looked like something you'd get for buying the presidents package from Ducks Unlimited. The ducks on it were colorful, raised from the surface and it never faded in all the years. I was in my garage one day and set it on the bumper of my car while I went to do something. The car's keyfob was in my pocket and when I bent over to pick something up, the button to raise the lift-gate was pressed and it knocked my duck cup to the garage floor, which was less than gracious to my cup when it landed.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:00 PM
Bummer on your mug. I had one I got for 69 cents at a thrift store. The kind of hand made pottery mug you see for $20 on Etsy. Used it for two short weeks and dropped something heavy on top of it while doing dishes. The good news is I got my money's worth. The bad news is I can't find another one.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:06 PM
I use a drip for weekdays. A French press for weekend coffee. I prefer the French press but drip is easier. I drink it with one sugar, two cream/half and half. No flavors. No pumpkin spice. Just coffee flavored coffee. Typically two or three cups in the morning. Then pretty much every night we make a pot of decaf.
I drink a few different brands. I’m not a coffee snob but I do prefer a decent bean. Peet’s, Stumptown (a local roaster), Seattle’s Best... all dark roast, or espresso roasted beans.
The best coffee I ever had was in Costa Rica. A roaster in Quepos called Cafe Milagro. It’s unreal. Local beans from the surrounding mountains. Local roaster pouring just incredibly rich flavored coffee. I brought a bunch back with me. Even ordered it once online years ago but that’s too cost prohibitive long term.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:14 PM
When you say "dripper", you mean the old standby - put the filter in, put coffee grounds in, hit start? If so, yeah, that was me. Forever. It was common for me to drink a whole pot - 12 cups - in the morning. When I worked at a dealership, there'd be even more coffee until about 11 a.m.

Different times I'd hear about people that were addicted to caffeine, and when they'd quit drinking coffee, or pop, they'd get headaches, etc. So, I'd quit drinking coffee for 2 weeks, or 2 months. I never had any 'withdrawal' symptoms, luckily.

Then, about a year ago, wife bought a Keurig thing, however it's spelled. So, now I use that. (don't like it as well as my old way......but, well, it makes her happy)

Never had percolated coffee though.

I drink it black, no cream no sugar, no nothing.

Drinking vessel years ago was a Browns mug - but had to refill it way too often.

Couple years ago my 'mentee' got me a 16 oz Browns....drink thingy. That's what I use now. 24 oz. a morning most days. Some days less, some days none.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:16 PM
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

The best coffee I ever had was in Costa Rica. A roaster in Quepos called Cafe Milagro. It’s unreal. Local beans from the surrounding mountains. Local roaster pouring just incredibly rich flavored coffee. I brought a bunch back with me. Even ordered it once online years ago but that’s too cost prohibitive long term.

I'm sure it's delicious! I've never had French press coffee, but maybe one day if someone makes it for me. wink
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:19 PM
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg
When you say "dripper", you mean the old standby - put the filter in, put coffee grounds in, hit start? If so, yeah, that was me. Forever.

Yep, a Mr. Coffee type coffee maker. They are easy, but the coffee isn't so great. We had a Keurig for a few years, but I thought the coffee was pretty crappy. They are also expensive and there's a lot of waste involved with all the K-cups. I know people love them for the convenience, though.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:25 PM
I preferred dripper coffee. But, go along to get along. Wifey is getting tired of me going through so many K cups. I don't really care for that coffee either.

It won't be long til the old 'dripper' comes back out in our house.

Oh, I've never had a starbucks anything, in my life, and never will.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:38 PM
Originally Posted By: DawgMichelle

I'm sure it's delicious! I've never had French press coffee, but maybe one day if someone makes it for me. wink

We just got a new French press. All stainless. We’ve broken two glass ones over the years. It’s also double walled so the coffee stays hotter longer.
I’d recommend getting a French press. They’re not really expensive at all. While they're a little more work, cleaning them, your coffee experience is much different with one. The coffee gets a head to it. Similar to a draft beer. It’s really creamy and rich. Same beans as your drip machine but an entirely different flavor profile. Like I said we use it primarily on the weekends. It’s worth the slightly extra hassle.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:51 PM
I use a drip for the every day, but I love a French press. No matter what, I drink it black. I have a burr grinder and grind my beans fresh for every pot. I used to buy all of the expensive stuff, but these days my standard is the Breakfast Blend beans at GFS.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 09:53 PM
I think after this thread, I may have to go shopping for a percolator. I suddenly find I miss the sound of percolating coffee.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 11:21 PM
I used to love the percolator. Never ever liked the drip coffee makers. We have had 3 Keurigs and I think the coffee is way better than the drip method, but not as good as the percolator. I get the strongest K-cups I can. There is a French Roast and an Italian Roast that I use each day. My wife likes Breakfast Blend. I really don't care too much about the mugs. I don't like little ones or fancy ones. I don't use one that have huge mouths, either.

Of course, it's all opinion. I say that because I'm sure some will dog the Keurigs. Not going to argue about it.

I will say I agree w/Tulsa. I might buy a percolator and use it on weekends.
Posted By: Dave Re: Coffee talk - 09/24/20 11:50 PM
Hi Michelle - good to see you. I use a Hamilton Beach automatic dripper with a timer, so my Maxwell House coffee is ready when I get up in the morning. I add a teaspoon of sugar and however many teaspoons of Coffee-Mate it takes to make it light. I say "however many teaspoons of Coffee-Mate" because they seem to re-formulate it constantly so you always need to use more for the same effect (what a surprise). I've always drunk coffee with powdered creamer because that's what they had at the places I worked and because I don't really like it with milk or half-n-half. My parents always used a stove-top percolator and I have to say that it smelled really good in the mornings at our house, but I don't think it tasted all that much better than what I use now.
Posted By: northlima dawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 12:01 AM
I love coffee

We have a drip, a keurig and the one we use most days is a Ninja coffee bar. Also have a coffee grinder-Most of the time we just use folgers-wife loves it-but we have a bunch of different k cups, and whole beans in the pantry.

One sweet and low and half and half to taste in my Browns mug on weekends and a contega during the week when I am working at home
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 12:29 AM
As I said, I drink coffee straight. Black. No sugar, no cream, no milk, no flavor stuff. It's coffee. If you want a sugared milky drink, get a latte.

Drives me crazy - wife, on Sunday mornings, would steal some of my pot of coffee. Load it up with french vanilla stuff so it looked like milk..........then on the way to church, she'd sniff it. She didn't drink it.

Coffee is supposed to be straight, black, imo.
Posted By: Dave Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 12:38 AM
As I said, I drink coffee straight. Black. No sugar, no cream, no milk, no flavor stuff. It's coffee. If you want a sugared milky drink, get a latte.

Drives me crazy - wife, on Sunday mornings, would steal some of my pot of coffee. Load it up with french vanilla stuff so it looked like milk..........then on the way to church, she'd sniff it. She didn't drink it.

Coffee is supposed to be straight, black, imo.

Ehh ... I like it how I like it, and I'm too old to much care what people think of that.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:12 AM
I think all the different ways people enjoy coffee is interesting. Do you and let them do them. wink I like a little coffee with my cream, but no flavorings and no sugar for me. Recently I've switched to smaller mugs because it always got too chilly in bigger ones. Can't take the feeling/taste of insulated mugs, so prefer porcelain, pottery, or ceramic. I'm not a coffee snob, but I do enjoy a good cup of joe. Arch, you aren't missing anything by not having Starbucks, imo. Far too bitter for my liking. They over roast their beans and I can't drink it.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:14 AM
Nice topic and replies, Michelle. How have you been? I miss seeing you around.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:18 AM
Well, as far as starbucks, I'm just not paying that much, I don't care how good it is. We are not rich, or wealthy. We are not poor, either.

If I want coffee, I'll make it myself. If I'm out of town for work, I'll go to the local gas station.

We have friends that are wealthy, or appear to be, and having a starbucks coffee is like a badge for them, a "look, I'm drinking starbucks" kind of thing.

To each their own.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:24 AM
Get a coffee warmer for your desk, or wherever you drink your coffee. Just stay away from those usb powered warmers, they’re a joke. Also, I ordered a Cuisinart 12 cup percolator from Amazon today.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:29 AM
I grew up with a percolator. When the first Mr. Coffee's came out, I bought my parents one. I thought that was the most delicious coffee ever, much better than the percolator. Many years later, we bought a small percolator for camping, and then I thought that was much better than the drip coffee we've become used to. Now we have a Keurig, strictly for convenience.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Tulsa
Get a coffee warmer for your desk, or wherever you drink your coffee. Just stay away from those usb powered warmers, they’re a joke. Also, I ordered a Cuisinart 12 cup percolator from Amazon today.

Let us know how good it is. Please.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:36 AM
Originally Posted By: jfanent
I grew up with a percolator. When the first Mr. Coffee's came out, I bought my parents one. I thought that was the most delicious coffee ever, much better than the percolator. Many years later, we bought a small percolator for camping, and then I thought that was much better than the drip coffee we've become used to. Now we have a Keurig, strictly for convenience.

Everyone is going to hate me for this, but I think it matters who you get your K-cups from. The best I have found are the Starbucks brand. The French and Italian roasts are really rich and strong. I don't like weak coffee. I do temper it w/a bit of Amaretto Cream.

Just so you know...........I never go to Starbucks. It's too trendy for me. But, their K-cups are good.
Posted By: Dave Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:38 AM
Speaking of mugs, I had this self-stirring mug that I used at work. I liked it a lot.

It used to make this gurgling, whirling sound when I pressed the "stir" button. It would annoy the schnikees out of the guy I shared an office with, so I did it a lot. I used to say "You hear that buddy-boy? That's my colon!". Good times ...
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:46 AM
I was just reading through this thread again and realized that two things have changed for me...one is using the percolator, and two is grinding my beans instead of using pre-ground coffee. Hmmm, might have to drag the dripper back out and try it with beans to make this a fair comparison. Or, not.

There's a learning curve to the perc. It's not electric, it's a 25 year old Coleman 12 cup, US made, stainless percolator. I'm using it either on the stove top or induction burner. The induction burner makes quick work of the process, but you do have to watch for the boil and coffee to start perking so you can turn the heat down. It also takes a lot more coffee than the dripper. I'm using two ounces of med ground beans for 4 cups of water. Seems like a lot, but maybe I was making the dripped pots too weak? Anyway, let me know how all these new percolators work out!
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:51 AM
We just got a new French press. All stainless. We’ve broken two glass ones over the years. It’s also double walled so the coffee stays hotter longer.

I just got one at a thrift store, in fact. A 2003 Starbucks Barista. Stainless and insulated. I've been using it as a carafe because it needs a replacement screen and I haven't located them just yet.** I would post a picture, but I'm having a brain lapse on how to do that here. shocked

**Okay, found something that a reviewer said works well with this FP. The screen is $12. I think I'll just keep using it as a carafe! I only paid $2.99 for it.
Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 11:29 AM
When you say "dripper", you mean the old standby - put the filter in, put coffee grounds in, hit start? If so, yeah, that was me. Forever.

Yep, a Mr. Coffee type coffee maker. They are easy, but the coffee isn't so great. We had a Keurig for a few years, but I thought the coffee was pretty crappy. They are also expensive and there's a lot of waste involved with all the K-cups. I know people love them for the convenience, though.

We use the reusable K-Cups. Fill it up with coffee of our choice. The disposables, besides being wasteful, just don't put enough coffee in the pod to begin with.

I drink my coffee black.

I do have a portable french press system that I take with me on bikepacking trips. Works well to get me going.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 01:42 PM
Not being a coffee drinker at all I have no opinion on this. However my wife prefers her Keurig, although she changes her preference as to which flavor she wants once or twice a year as she gets tired of drinking the same flavor over and over. I always keep two different flavors here for her.
Posted By: tastybrownies Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 03:39 PM
Keurig - fast, convenient but makes the worst cup of coffee possible.

Drip - tried and true, easy multiple cups, good.

French press - The best cup of coffee I've ever had with ground beans. Takes longer but always a better cup.

Starbucks - It sucks hard. They don't understand how to make coffee and burn their beans. rofl

Dunkin/Tim Hortons - Better than Starbucks coffee.

Peets coffee/Detroit Bold is my favorite. Get beans from these, grind them, French press, I'm in heaven! brownie
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 07:13 PM
Which model Press did you buy ? Every time I buy a press I END UP BREAKING IT !
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 08:57 PM
I used to drink coffee, but gave it up to become a tea snob.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 09:22 PM
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Which model Press did you buy ? Every time I buy a press I END UP BREAKING IT !

https://www.homegrounds.co/sterling-pro-french-press-review/

If you use it, it’s worth the little extra coin.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 10:32 PM
I do a drip machine, but apparently the one I have is very highly rated. I also grind my coffee fresh - it made coffee so much better once I found the right grind for my taste. And with all of the amazing coffee here in PDX, its pretty much heavenly.

Lately I've been making a lot of cold brew, but as the weather is turning, I'll probably go back to drip.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/25/20 10:46 PM
Originally Posted By: clwb419
I do a drip machine, but apparently the one I have is very highly rated. I also grind my coffee fresh - it made coffee so much better once I found the right grind for my taste. And with all of the amazing coffee here in PDX, its pretty much heavenly.

Lately I've been making a lot of cold brew, but as the weather is turning, I'll probably go back to drip.

Have you tried Stumptown’s HairBender? Such a good bean/roast. I send a couple pounds home to family every Christmas.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 09/26/20 12:02 AM
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
I used to drink coffee, but gave it up to become a tea snob.

A tea snob,

You’re dead to me.

wink
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Coffee talk - 09/26/20 12:46 AM
I’m certainly not a coffee snob... My parents were tea drinkers, but always had a bottle of instant for guests, so when I started drinking coffee as a teenager, that’s what I drank.

That’s probably why I still prefer instant coffee - milk is mandatory, but I can drink it without sugar.

I’ve never had Starbucks, boycotted Tim Horton’s a couple years ago due to consistently poor service, and usually just drink my own.

The Keurig is okay, I don’t mind the taste.... but it’s so wasteful.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Coffee talk - 09/26/20 01:01 AM
j/c:

Not judging anyone, but I am putting this out there in case people don't know. French Press is getting a lot of love, but it's not good for you because it does not filter out the cafestol. Cafestol is known to cause the bad cholesterol in your body to increase. You might not care now, but you will later.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/26/20 01:34 AM
It’s something I’m aware of. It’s also not much of a concern as I may have 4 to 6 cups of French press a month. Certainly not enough to cause significant issues.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 09/26/20 05:00 PM

Have you tried Stumptown’s HairBender? Such a good bean/roast. I send a couple pounds home to family every Christmas.

Absolutely, I like Holler Mountain as well. My favorite two are Sterling's Blendo Stupendo and Heart's Stereo blend. I always have Sterling at home
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 12:11 AM
Great topic! I use a drip coffee machine too. Starbucks any kind of dark coffee. Flavor with a bit of sugar free caramel, hazelnut or vanilla sugar-free syrup.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 09:43 AM
This is strange: I like hearing about coffee and learning about people’s tastes with it ... but I’ve NEVER tried it. Not a single sip. Have no idea what it tastes like
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 01:04 PM
What? How is that even possible?
Do you have no innate curiosity? I can’t imagine being around something as common and everyday as coffee and not being at least curious enough to try it?
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 01:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
This is strange: I like hearing about coffee and learning about people’s tastes with it ... but I’ve NEVER tried it. Not a single sip. Have no idea what it tastes like

Honestly, it's not all that good, in my mind. For example, I don't make decaf just because I like the flavor like many do. I have full strength it in the morning as a wake me up and rarely in the afternoon/evening if a craving hits or I need a pick me up. (Plus, and I don't believe those who say there's no difference in taste, decaf just ins't as good as regular. And, per my comment above, that's not saying very much.)
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 01:44 PM
It is good. It’s just an acquired taste. I grew up in a house of coffee drinkers. They just drank Folgers and such. I never cared much for it. Though I always loved the smell of it.
When I got older I tried better beans and started liking coffee a little more. 23 years ago I became a nurse. Coffee became my lifeblood. Now I love it. Decaf, half caf, full strength... love it all.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 01:48 PM
Again, this is what I find so interesting abut taste...the differences between people! cool
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 01:57 PM
I am definitely a non-coffee drinker. The last time I had a cup of coffee was probably 25 years ago, when I had been out the night before on a heavy night drinking. crazy A friend told me I should have a cup of coffee, as it would help. I did (and I greatly disliked the taste of it back then) ... and wound up with a hangover with a horrible aftertaste from the coffee. sick

I have friends who love the stuff, and I'll brew a pot if one of them comes over, but personally. I just can't stand the stuff.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 03:49 PM
It is good. It’s just an acquired taste. I grew up in a house of coffee drinkers. They just drank Folgers and such. I never cared much for it. Though I always loved the smell of it.
When I got older I tried better beans and started liking coffee a little more. 23 years ago I became a nurse. Coffee became my lifeblood. Now I love it. Decaf, half caf, full strength... love it all.

It is an acquired taste and growing up in a household where the kitchen was the room of choice to congregate, the constant smell of coffee called to you.

Now I can't stand the taste of beer. Disgusting stuff. Every time I've tried it, it remains disgusting. In retrospect, I'm glad it was coffee my taste buds agreed with. I do think I've become immune to caffeine though, I can drink coffee morning or night with no affect on my sleeping schedule.
Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 06:36 PM
I've tried to kick soda. Coffee has been a great way to eliminate it for me.

Right now I'm being a dirty millennial and drinking this:

Black as night with nothing added. Would love to pick up some KCups of the blend I had close to Machu Picchu.

I may look into a french press in the future, but KCups save time.
Posted By: PortlandDawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 08:34 PM
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Black as night with nothing added. Would love to pick up some KCups of the blend I had close to Machu Picchu.

Good coffee. Awful, wasteful packaging.

(A side note: I’ve hiked the Na Pali Coast Trail. Sleep on the beach for four nights. Amazing.)
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 09:21 PM
I’m not overly curious to try it (I’ve actually never had alcohol either) .. I can see trying coffee one day though
Posted By: jfanent Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 09:55 PM
I’m not overly curious to try it (I’ve actually never had alcohol either) .. I can see trying coffee one day though

So you've never had a taste of coffee or alcohol? Out of curiosity, how old are you? I guess buring a blunt is totally out of the question, lol.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coffee talk - 09/27/20 10:06 PM
I've been drinking coffee from a dripper for years, but recently broke out an old percolator. The coffee is SO much better! Yes, more hassle than pushing the start button in the morning, but I think it's worth it.

How do you like to make your coffee? What is your favorite coffee? Do you add anything to the coffee? What is your drinking vessel of choice?

I mostly use a Keurig these days. Brews a quality cup and no waste like brewing up a full pot.

If I have beans to grind, which I do from time to time, I like to use a French Press.

As for beans, there is a local roaster I use. As for the Keurig, I like McDonalds French Roast or Dunking Donuts, but I will switch it up. I am not too picky as long as it is a premium brand and not 8 O'Clock Coffee or something like that.

As for how I like it, I like it black. Is there any other way?

As for cup, anything that doesn't leak.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Coffee talk - 09/28/20 01:53 PM

So you've never had a taste of coffee or alcohol? Out of curiosity, how old are you? I guess buring a blunt is totally out of the question, lol.
haha yeah that’s not something I’ve tried either rofl ... I’m 33
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 09/28/20 02:07 PM

haha yeah that’s not something I’ve tried either rofl ... I’m 33

When you go out to breakfast, what do you order to drink?

Wait, have you tried food yet? wink
Posted By: FATE Re: Coffee talk - 09/28/20 02:15 PM
Dawgs4Life is a bot!
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 09/29/20 12:12 PM
So...

The percolator arrived yesterday. Here's a review of it I found on youtube.

My impression, after 3 pots. It's a no frills coffee maker. You can't program it to start at a set time, you don't have heat settings and it won't turn off automagically for you.

What it will do is make a nice, smooth tasting cup of coffee, pour elegantly and clean up easily. It has a coffee basket as shown in the vid, but I also use a flat, round filter made for percolators. I don't want grounds to find their way into my cup.

The spout on this percolator is so much nicer to pour the coffee from than the carafe on my drip coffee maker. I also love the sound of it percolating. Being able to see the coffee in the clear knob at the top as it percolates is a plus, or maybe I'm just a bit bored. I'm a guy, we're easily amused by visual movement and it will always capture my attention.

Will I keep using this one or go back to the drip? That decision falls under the, "happy wife - happy life" category. She will get her first opportunity today to try it and give me her opinion. If she doesn't like it, I may just move this one into my office and she can use the drip.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Coffee talk - 09/29/20 01:19 PM
Originally Posted By: RocketOptimist

Good coffee. Awful, wasteful packaging.

(A side note: I’ve hiked the Na Pali Coast Trail. Sleep on the beach for four nights. Amazing.)

Actually, maybe not. Some of those pods with the filter bottoms (not the plastic bottoms) can be recycled, as they don't have the metal ring in them like the plastic cups do. When we had the Keurig, I used to make a point of buying those types of pods from Costco, as we could recycle them.
However, nothing beats a reusable K-cup. That's the only way you're going to dial in your cup of coffee with a Keurig. I found that I was getting grounds in the bottom of my cup, which I didn't like. I'm sure I was about to figure that out when we decided to switch to a small Mr. Coffee, since her and I grabbed our cups in the morning at the same time.

We have a Ninja drip. It's nice, but we cracked the carafe and it was a pain to source a replacement. I like to try different 'fancy' beans. I'm not a fan of Starbucks, but do reluctantly go there quite a bit. You can get a (poor) cup of coffee and yummy breakfast sandwich for $5, and the phone app makes everything much more convenient. There's a Starbucks that's perfectly located for my commute to work, so between that and the app that lets you order ahead, it's too convenient not to utilize it every once in a while. Also, the little guy loves the cake pops, and it's hilarious hearing him start going 'cake... pop!' in the back seat.

Also, I'll grab a bag of ground coffee from Starbucks when we're in a bind at home, and usually get whatever limited release they have at the time. I'll admit, I've never gotten a bad bag from them.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Coffee talk - 09/29/20 02:45 PM
Hey Tulsa , thats the one I have had my eye on. Keep me updated on how you like it,... Thanks
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 10/01/20 03:04 PM

Will I keep using this one or go back to the drip? That decision falls under the, "happy wife - happy life" category. She will get her first opportunity today to try it and give me her opinion. If she doesn't like it, I may just move this one into my office and she can use the drip.

What did she think of the coffee?
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 10/01/20 05:15 PM

What did she think of the coffee?

She’s satisfied with it. She can’t distinguish a lot of difference in the taste from one machine to the other, it’s subtlety better to her. The nostalgia I enjoy, she didn’t experience as much growing up so there’s no real value in the type of maker. I make all the coffee at home, so she’s deferring to me what maker I choose to use.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Coffee talk - 10/01/20 05:58 PM
We recently got a Hamilton Beach, has the traditional dripper carafe, and a single cup option/K-Cup brewer.

It came with a cup and filter to use your own grounds, think we payed $89 at bed bath and beyond.

We don't use the single often, but it is nice for times when we have late night plans, that little extra kick of caffeine helps the wife. or when we have family events, my uncle likes to drink a cup after dinner.

Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/01/20 06:07 PM

I forgot about something until this morning. I've been to Amsterdam quite a bit for work. One of my top 2 favorite cafes (I'd say coffee shop, but that means something else there smile ) in the world is in Amsterdam (Scandinavian Embassy in De Pijp). I was there on a trip back in probably 2012 talking to the owners (one was a top 10 barista in the world in some competition) and he asked where I was from. I mentioned Portland, and he perked up...he said that Stumptown had a popup in Amsterdam and he loved it.

I learned quite a bit about coffee from them (coffee, not espresso drinks). Temperature, grind, weigh coffee instead of measure it, etc... my coffee game improved significantly due to that place.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Coffee talk - 10/01/20 07:50 PM
love me some coffee esp with cannabis lol
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 10/01/20 09:50 PM

I learned quite a bit about coffee from them (coffee, not espresso drinks). Temperature, grind, weigh coffee instead of measure it, etc... my coffee game improved significantly due to that place.

It's fun to learn cool stuff. It's part of the reason I started this thread.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Coffee talk - 10/02/20 12:15 AM
I got a ninja coffee maker that does single cups without the K cups and I can buy any coffee I like. Love our Coffee maker
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/05/20 06:20 PM

It's fun to learn cool stuff. It's part of the reason I started this thread.

If you ever get over to AMS, they have workshops and tastings smile
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/05/20 07:24 PM
Dude... drop some knowledge!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coffee talk - 10/05/20 07:51 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
I got a ninja coffee maker that does single cups without the K cups and I can buy any coffee I like. Love our Coffee maker

I have seen those.

You still have to deal with coffee grounds. I just like to insert and toss away.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/06/20 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Dude... drop some knowledge!!

Its been a while, so it'll be flawed.

+ if you like really good coffee, buy a good burr grinder. If you only plan do to drip, then it doesn't need to have many settings for grind size. If you want to do espresso, pour overs, drip, cold brew, chemex, etc... then you'll want grind sizes.

+ coffee grounds should be room temp when brewing

+ brew coffee 195-205 degrees (I had to look that up, couldn't remember exact range) if you are not using a machine (cold brew should be cold tap water)

+ the size of the coffee grounds should be determined based on how you brew it (espresso is very fine, cold brew very course, drip is in the middle). for my drip machine I use about 11:00 if it were a clock (so a little less than medium). Adjust to your taste.

+ Water to coffee ratio matters. I don't recall these, but when I cold brew my ratios are based on the roast. dark roast I use 3 oz of beans for 32 oz water. medium roast 3.25 oz beans for 32 oz water, and light roast 3.5 oz beans per 32 oz water (generically about 10 to 1). For my drip coffee I use 33 grams for 20 oz water, so that's about 17 to 1, I'll go down to 30 grams for a darker roast sometimes (depends on the coffee).

+ How long you brew matters. I don't recall these either, but I use 14-16 hours for cold brew and my hot coffee is drip, so however long that takes

edit: if you find your coffee too bitter, increase the grind size or reduce the brew time (or get better coffee tongue )
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/07/20 12:54 AM
Turns out I already have much of this nailed, though I only do drip and french press, I have a conical burr grinder that does indeed make a word of difference.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/07/20 02:12 AM
I dug a little and thought this was pretty interesting

https://www.homegrounds.co/coffee-grind-chart/

I'll probably only do a few more weeks of cold brew - I like it cold during the warm months. It makes one heck of a good coffee if you like it cold. I've found that if after I grind it, I put it through a hand strainer to get rid of the powdery grind to ensure it is all course - it is not bitter at all and has almost a sweetness to it. And all it takes is an ultra-fine mesh bag and a 32 oz mason jar.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/07/20 03:20 PM
That's kinda groovy. I've never tried cold brewing, but I also never really drink it "cold" unless I'm finishing the previous day's pot. Yes, I will drink the old coffee while waiting for the fresh stuff to brew, and that stuff I tend to drink at room temperature as reheating it seems to impart bitterness.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/07/20 03:22 PM

I'll probably only do a few more weeks of cold brew - I like it cold during the warm months. It makes one heck of a good coffee if you like it cold. I've found that if after I grind it, I put it through a hand strainer to get rid of the powdery grind to ensure it is all course - it is not bitter at all and has almost a sweetness to it. And all it takes is an ultra-fine mesh bag and a 32 oz mason jar.

This literally just told me how to change/correct my grind size. Apparently, I'm too coarse and under-extracted because my coffee is acidic and salty. Holy crap. I never would have thought of this!
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/07/20 09:23 PM
That's kinda groovy. I've never tried cold brewing, but I also never really drink it "cold" unless I'm finishing the previous day's pot. Yes, I will drink the old coffee while waiting for the fresh stuff to brew, and that stuff I tend to drink at room temperature as reheating it seems to impart bitterness.

I can't drink it at the correct temperature, too many years of IT Operations and Support - and rarely having food/drink at the right temps smile I throw a cube in my hot coffee to make it not 200 degrees...and if I order a latte, I always ask for tepid. How sad is that?
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Coffee talk - 10/07/20 09:26 PM
It's not sad. Whether I use the Kuerig, the drip brewer, or, away from home.........whatever coffee I get, I put at least 3 typical cubes of ice in it. I don't drink coffee steaming. I can't. I don't like it cold, though.

My grandma used to drink it at an almost boiling level.
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 10/07/20 10:58 PM
Your grandma sounds like an awesome lady.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Coffee talk - 10/07/20 11:12 PM
This thread keeps me awake reading it.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Coffee talk - 10/08/20 02:20 AM

She was, trust me, she was. But man, she liked her coffee HOT. (temp wise, just so no one gets the wrong idea)
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Coffee talk - 10/08/20 02:23 AM

She was, trust me, she was. But man, she liked her coffee HOT. (temp wise, just so no one gets the wrong idea)

Some Like It Hot. (With regards to Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis and Jack Lemon)
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/08/20 01:07 PM

This literally just told me how to change/correct my grind size. Apparently, I'm too coarse and under-extracted because my coffee is acidic and salty. Holy crap. I never would have thought of this!

My coffee is so very different this morning. Much better smile

Of course, now I recognize that I may need a darker roast.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 10/08/20 01:58 PM
I throw a cube in my hot coffee to make it not 200 degrees...and if I order a latte, I always ask for tepid. How sad is that?

Not sad. I set my burner to 190 and let it perk away for 10 minutes. They say boiling water isn't good when using a percolator anyway, so it works fine for me.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/08/20 03:12 PM

My coffee is so very different this morning. Much better smile

Of course, now I recognize that I may need a darker roast.

Give this a week or two to see if your taste adjusts too. I used to be a dark roast only guy, but when I started learning more and adjusting, I realized that lighter roasts have some pretty great characteristics as well. The negative is that they tend to be more acidic, but the positive is more fruity notes and are more fragrant.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/09/20 05:20 PM
May have used too many ground today. Finer grind (bottom end of the medium scale), but I used more grounds... still had a salted flavor to it. I have a feeling that I still have a ways to go before I'm truly dialed-in.
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/09/20 09:13 PM
It took me a while. To remain consistent, you may want to buy more of the same coffee until you get it right - switching coffees may make it more difficult.

Or maybe the coffee is the problem?
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 10/10/20 04:18 PM
Thinking about getting a better grinder during Prime Days. Don't want the best, but don't want junk either. Anybody want to give me a crash course in them? Watching YT videos is doing nothing but confusing me even more...
Posted By: sk8termom Re: Coffee talk - 10/11/20 01:00 AM
I use an inexpensive dripper, don't know the difference. I enjoy any of the Starbucks dark coffees, usually get them in Amish country for about $4 for a 12 ounce package. I flavor with a bit of sugar free Hazelnut, caramel or vanilla flavoring
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/11/20 06:28 PM
Thinking about getting a better grinder during Prime Days. Don't want the best, but don't want junk either. Anybody want to give me a crash course in them? Watching YT videos is doing nothing but confusing me even more...

I went with a Capresso Infinity several year back and I cannot find any fault with it. You can get them on Amazon for just about $99.

It is a conical burr grinder, so you get consistent grinds and adjustable grind size from very large all the way down to Turkish Fine. As conical burrs go, it was the most affordable on the market at the time. I don't know if there is anything better at the price point these days, but I've had mine close to ten years, I think, and it is still going strong.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Coffee talk - 10/11/20 06:55 PM
That was always my problem with grinders. It's near impossible to get the same amount of beans and same grind every time.

The Keurig solves that. Find the flavor you like and the amount of water you want and you are ready to go.

There is a large enough variety of K-cups on the market you can find something you like.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/12/20 03:18 PM
Everything tastes better on Victory Monday cool
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/12/20 07:15 PM

I went with a Capresso Infinity several year back and I cannot find any fault with it. You can get them on Amazon for just about $99.

It is a conical burr grinder, so you get consistent grinds and adjustable grind size from very large all the way down to Turkish Fine. As conical burrs go, it was the most affordable on the market at the time. I don't know if there is anything better at the price point these days, but I've had mine close to ten years, I think, and it is still going strong.

Michelle - I've had my DeLonghi for about 5 years and it was $109. The Capresso Infinity is on several lists and is $86 on amazon right now. OXO BREW is on several lists too and a google search tells me it is $100 at Target. I'm guessing you'll be able to find a good quality one on Prime Day. If not, the holidays are just around the corner and I'm sure several will be on sale at some point.

They're the most consistent grind you can find. Blade grinders are inconsistent, but cheap.

An idea is to go to a local coffee shop, many baristas are coffee nerds and can help out.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Coffee talk - 10/12/20 07:23 PM
DANG! A hundo for a grinder? And still no guarantee that I'll actually be able to get my coffee to taste better?
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Coffee talk - 10/12/20 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
DANG! A hundo for a grinder? And still no guarantee that I'll actually be able to get my coffee to taste better?

It's a tool; it's as good as the person using it understands how to use it.

It's the control over the process that you are buying. You get consistent grind sizes, you don't burn/scorch the beans like a high-rpm blade grinder can, etc...

Once you know what you need for the beans you like, then you CAN guarantee that you will get your coffee to taste better. You just have to try different things to find out what is "better" to you smile
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 10/13/20 12:43 AM
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll watch these over the next couple of days and see what happens.
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 10/13/20 10:16 PM
Considering the Cuisinart CBM-18N burr grinder. We have some good discounts, coupons, and points that make it fairly attractive in price.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Coffee talk - 10/14/20 02:24 PM
Prime Day Deals

Electric Conical Burr
Electric Conical Burr Grinder

Manual
Manual Conical Burr
Posted By: DawgMichelle Re: Coffee talk - 10/14/20 03:05 PM
Thanks...I saw the Sboly but chose the Cuisinart due to their customer service (experience with an air fryer) and price. wink And I actually have the manual grinder on my list for Santa!
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Coffee talk - 10/14/20 05:48 PM
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Prime Day Deals

Electric Conical Burr
Electric Conical Burr Grinder

Manual
Manual Conical Burr

Thanks for the reminder that it is prime day...completely forgot
© DawgTalkers.net