DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: lampdogg Polar Vortex - 02/03/23 11:33 PM
Here in Nova Scotia, where it’s rarely colder than 30 below, and by rarely, I mean a couple days a winter - it got noticeably frigid in the past few hours today. Around noon it was normal, now the windows are frosted and I’m taking our brass monkey off the balcony and inside. Johnny Carson joke.

It’s supposed to be 40 below tonight and through tomorrow with wind chill and I ain’t going outside. Then it’s going to get mild again. We’ve had one of the mildest, snow-free winters that I can remember but the Arctic has moved south this weekend.

How’s the weather where you are this winter?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Polar Vortex - 02/03/23 11:53 PM
That is freaking crazy!
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Polar Vortex - 02/03/23 11:59 PM
They say it’s the coldest temp to hit my region in 25 years.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 12:08 AM
Bro, even the first sentence was crazy. Rarely gets colder than 30 below. Rarely is a couple of days a year. LMAO........freaking nuts.
Posted By: AZBrown Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by lampdogg

65 and beautiful on the southern border today.

Supposed to get down to an intolerable 42 overnight - may have to cancel my outdoor plans for tomorrow.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 12:11 AM
Here in Nova Scotia, where it’s rarely colder than 30 below, and by rarely, I mean a couple days a winter - it got noticeably frigid in the past few hours today. Around noon it was normal, now the windows are frosted and I’m taking our brass monkey off the balcony and inside. Johnny Carson joke.

It’s supposed to be 40 below tonight and through tomorrow with wind chill and I ain’t going outside. Then it’s going to get mild again. We’ve had one of the mildest, snow-free winters that I can remember but the Arctic has moved south this weekend.

Get yourself a Siberian Husky dog. They can stay outside up to -60. willynilly
Posted By: FATE Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by AZBrown

65 and beautiful on the southern border today.

Supposed to get down to an intolerable 42 overnight - may have to cancel my outdoor plans for tomorrow.

[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]
Posted By: FATE Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 12:23 AM
It's damned cold here in Fort Wayne. It's so flat, there's nary a foothill in sight. The wind is relentless.

I'm back and forth between here and Warren, Oh. Temps and snow are similar, but the wind here never stops. 15° with a 20mph wind will cut through your soul.

Getting to old for this lol.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 03:01 AM
Originally Posted by FATE
[Linked Image from media4.giphy.com]

Incredible show! Season 3 coming out.

Also, this seems chilly.

Posted By: FATE Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 03:45 AM
Wow.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by EveDawg
Get yourself a Siberian Husky dog. They can stay outside up to -60. willynilly
10, 12 years ago, when we had a Siberian....had a 15'by 50' fenced in area, with an insulated dog house. 0 degrees, wind blowing at about 25 mph, snowing like crazy. Wife made me get dressed so I could go get him and bring him in the house.

I did. Got out to his fenced in area. And? He's sleeping on TOP of the doghouse, tail over his face. C'mon Oakley, let's go inside. He looked up at me with a "why?" look. I literally had to carry him inside, against his will.

But, our weather is all messed up. Couple days of 5 degrees or so, then warm up to mid 30's. Today's high was 17, but tomorrow supposed to be in the upper 30's, and near 50 by Tuesday.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 09:18 AM
It was 14 degrees Wednesday morning when I jumped on the motorcycle, jumped on the highway, and rode to the dealership to get a recall done. It's going to be a balmy 32 degrees today. I may just go for a long ride.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 02:44 PM
Wow... I've got family in that area and up in Maine... praying for them this week... I'm especially worried about my aunt in Maine... 76 and lives by herself up a mountain... thankfully, like most in that area, she has a wood burning stove to keep her warm if power goes out...

we've got gorgeous weather this weekend, 60s and sunny all weekend...
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 03:17 PM
LOL!!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 03:41 PM
I definitely pray for those caught in these areas of extreme cold.

In NE Ohio, tomorrow, we will be in the 40's. and into the 50's mid week. Perfect flu weather ... warm/cold/warm/cold/warm/cold ........
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 04:22 PM
I can't and won't complain about the weather here in Nashville. For people who grew up down here they think the weather is cold. Compared to Ohio winters it's not bad at all. We had temps dip into the 20's at night and get up to around freezing during the day for a couple of days. Today is supposed to reach the low 50's and back into the 60's by the first of the week.

Just a quick story to put things in perspective. A few winters back it did get fairly cold. Around 15 degrees as I recall. My wife and I went out to dinner. When we walked in, the place was empty of customers and it's a very good place to eat. When a waitress came over I asked her why they were so slow? She said, "Oh honey, it's too cold for people to get out. We were just talking about closing early."
Posted By: bonefish Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 10:53 PM
I watch a tv show called "Life Below Zero."

People in Alaska living above the Arctic circle. It kills me what some of those people do living basically a self sufficient life style.

They go outside in temperatures I get chills from just reading about -30 to -50. They act like zero is Miami weather.

At one point long ago I could handle the cold. I can no longer.

40 feels really cold to me now.

I still get flashbacks of delivering the Plain Dealer in Cleveland at 5:00 am in February. Nightmares.

Atlanta gets about as cold as I wish.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Polar Vortex - 02/04/23 11:37 PM
I watched the first season of that show, it was pretty good.

I think it was about 15 degrees yesterday here where I live in Ohio, right down the street from the lake. I stayed inside. It warmed up today to about 33 degrees. I went to the library today to pick up some DVD's and cussed every time I got outta my car - it's freakin' cold out!

Remember when we were kids we didn't care how cold it was as long as there was snow out we'd go out playing in it and that's playing in it for hours at a time. Nowadays? NO! lol
Posted By: bonefish Re: Polar Vortex - 02/05/23 12:22 PM
Cold and age?

It doesn't get very cold here often. Winter daytime temp average 40 to 50.

I drive my one grandson to school in the mornings. I see seniors taking walks. They all are wearing hats and coats.

I see the kids at the bus stops wearing T-shirts and shorts.

It's like kids have warm blood and adults need blood warmers.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Polar Vortex - 02/05/23 06:46 PM
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Polar Vortex - 02/06/23 08:53 AM
I am spoiled here. I have three sliding doors (two bedrooms and living room) that open to my lanai on the 12th floor. I’ve closed them a total of five or six times in 17 months. They are open 24/7.
© DawgTalkers.net