DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: cfrs15 Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 03:36 AM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 03:41 AM
Posted By: CHSDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 03:45 AM
gadget plays based in misdirection never work in Cleveland.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 03:06 PM
Well, we either never try them or they never work, depending on the poster.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 03:28 PM
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 03:45 PM
He was much faster now that he’s lost that piano he’s been carrying around ... thumbsup
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 03:49 PM
With the two horses we have I don't see why we don't pound it constantly mixing in an occasional pass instead of vice versa. We'd wear dlines down in a half...
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 04:27 PM
with LBers being drafted to cover TEs and RBs why run the ball more
and physically wear down the 2nd level with Chubb
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 05:08 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 06:04 PM
On the video for Rookie of the week, one thing that jumped out at me on his 41 yard TD run was how well Higgins was blocking for him downfield, and kept blocking his man for at least 20 yards. Excellent work!

On the 63 yard run, Landry had 2 blocks that sealed the edge for Chubb, allowing him to get outside.Also excellent work!

Nice work by Chubb, but also a great job by the receivers working hard downfield.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 06:06 PM
We are going to have to pound the ball if we expect to beat some of the good teams we have to play.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 06:44 PM
The thing that stuck out to me was how he burned Conley when he had the angle on him. I didn't realize Chubb was that fast.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 06:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
We are going to have to pound the ball if we expect to beat some of the good teams we have to play.

Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
with LBers being drafted to cover TEs and RBs why run the ball more
and physically wear down the 2nd level with Chubb

Originally Posted By: 1oldMutt
With the two horses we have I don't see why we don't pound it constantly mixing in an occasional pass instead of vice versa. We'd wear dlines down in a half...

The NFL is a passing league now. Pass rushers are worn down by having to rush the passer over and over again. Successful teams pass during the early downs.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 06:47 PM
Chubb was the better back at UGA last year ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

And he's fully recovered from his knee injury.
Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 07:19 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
The thing that stuck out to me was how he burned Conley when he had the angle on him. I didn't realize Chubb was that fast.
Neither did Conley.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 07:19 PM
I tried to tell you guys about Chubb ...
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 08:32 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I was sort of hoping for a "Run Chubby Run!" call.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 10:51 PM

As a SEC fan, I knew he had legs. Glad to see he has them back.

I was thrilled when we drafted him. He has both lightening and thunder. He is on his way to being our lead back. And he should be. Hyde is a really good player, but Chubb has the whole package. Power, speed, and enough wiggle in the open field.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 11:51 PM
He still has to be a willing blocker, though. He has to show he will do it. He needs that to be a complete back.

I liked him before he broke the big runs in Oakland, he's definitely got some pop.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Nick Chubb - 10/02/18 11:56 PM
Like i have said before, if you want blocking, put in a blocker.

He will pick it up.

Do you think the Cowboys care if Zeke can block? Hell no.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 12:44 AM
They probably expect Zeke to make some routine blocks, or at least try to.

You see Chubb whiff on that punt a couple weeks ago? And he's also missed blocking assignments. I'm not bashing him, he's a rookie. But he has to show he can be dependable in pass protection.

Details, man, details.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 12:56 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 01:16 AM
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
They probably expect Zeke to make some routine blocks, or at least try to.

You see Chubb whiff on that punt a couple weeks ago? And he's also missed blocking assignments. I'm not bashing him, he's a rookie. But he has to show he can be dependable in pass protection.

Details, man, details.

Don't let him BS you. Zeke is a great blocker. Not adequate. Not mediocre. Not good. He's a great blocker.

It's one of the major reasons he went so high. He can run it, but a lot of guys can. He is also an excellent WR. The amazing thing is that guys like Urban have said he was the best blocking RB he has ever seen.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 03:09 AM
Donovan cracks me up. He's such a homer in the booth, you just gotta love him.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 03:11 AM
He still has to be a willing blocker, though. He has to show he will do it. He needs that to be a complete back.

I'm reasonably certain that his playing time has been limited because of his blocking (or lack thereof).

With the ball in his hands, he's def an asset.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 03:42 AM
Feed him the ball more.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 11:36 AM
If he can't block, or won't block, then not only do you need to put someone else back there to do what he SHOULD be doing (eating up one of the eleven bodies you can put on the field), but you also tip off the defense because they know precisely what he is and is NOT going to be doing.

It weakens the entire offense over the long haul.
Him actually learning his tradecraft and becoming a viable blocker not only increases his value, but his effectiveness and the effectiveness of the offense as a whole. It is simply part of him earning his spot on the field.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 11:39 AM
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
He's awesome as a play by play guy ... Great voice, great personality .. too bad he hasn't had more famous calls because of our ineptitude

Dieken is not a good color guy, despite being a Browns legend .. he's tough to listen to because he steps on Jim's toes during the call
Posted By: FATE Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 04:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
He's awesome as a play by play guy ... Great voice, great personality .. too bad he hasn't had more famous calls because of our ineptitude

Dieken is not a good color guy, despite being a Browns legend .. he's tough to listen to because he steps on Jim's toes during the call

I love Diek, but he seems to be having quite a few, well, we'll just call them "senior moments" when doing the game. Rambling, incoherent, blah, blah, blah... he's lucky we love him so much.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 05:24 PM

Naw, Michel was the better back. Chubb was good, but for sure wasn't what he was his first few years at UGA.

Regardless, as a UGA guy, I'm glad to see Chubb on the Browns, and looks to having a promising future.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: HotBYoungTurk

Naw, Michel was the better back. Chubb was good, but for sure wasn't what he was his first few years at UGA.

Regardless, as a UGA guy, I'm glad to see Chubb on the Browns, and looks to having a promising future.

JMHO Brother from the games I saw thumbsup
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 06:12 PM
Not a Georgia fan but kept up with Chubb.

From what I saw when he first came back from his injury he had certainly lost something. But as time went on, he began coming back to form. You are certainly right about Michel being the better back last season at Georgia. But as the season wore on I felt like Chubb was closing the gap. As such, I'm not sure who the better back is now.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/03/18 11:43 PM
“Tailback U.” Chubb and Michel will finish second and third, respectively, on the school’s career rushing list, behind only Herschel Walker.

--Chubb;
756-4,769-(6.3)-44 TDs'
Receiving: 31-361-(11.6)-4 TDs'
--Michel;
590-3,613-(6.1)-33 TDs'
Receiving: 64-621-(9.7)-6 TDs'
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/04/18 09:02 PM
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Nick Chubb - 10/04/18 09:06 PM
I had been wondering why we took Chubb with both Hyde and Johnson on the roster. Now it seems like he was a total BPA pick. He looks to be the real deal.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Nick Chubb - 10/04/18 11:35 PM

I liked him before he broke the big runs in Oakland, he's definitely got some pop.

Block, schmock. He will do it soon enough.

I'd rather see big gains and yardage out of my backs over their blocking ability. I would never keep him in to block....he would be running or out to enter a pattern.

If you want a blocker, put in another guard at TE.

You act like he should be able to line up at guard. Maybe we should do that, right????
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Nick Chubb - 10/04/18 11:53 PM
I think our offensive coaches have a better feeling for who should be playing than you do.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 12:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
I think our offensive coaches have a better feeling for who should be playing than you do.

I have seen you say that before.

No doubt, until you have a back ripping it...I suspect we will see a lot more of Chubb and the coaches agreeing with me.

You can only sit TD talent so long. At some point you have to give up the blocking arguments.

I saw him play a dozen times or more, was Jim Brown a good blocker? Seems like Ernie Green gained 2-3 yards at a clip.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 12:06 AM
The blocking angle is not about run blocking. It's about pass pro. You wanna get Baker killed?
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 01:00 AM
Peen might, if he were the coach.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Block, schmock. He will do it soon enough.

I'd rather see big gains and yardage out of my backs over their blocking ability. I would never keep him in to block....he would be running or out to enter a pattern.

If you want a blocker, put in another guard at TE.

You act like he should be able to line up at guard. Maybe we should do that, right????

I get your reasoning 'Peen, but from a coaching POV there is a little flaw:

A back needs to be in on passing plays so opposing DC's don't pick up on the plays that are designated to the RB. If Chubb only comes in on plays that feature him, the other team will pick up on that before the end of the 1st qtr. Place a spy on Chubb: he's shut down for the rest of the game.

His effectiveness is in the D not knowing if he'll get the ball or not. It forces them to be honest with their coverage and not dedicating a player to him specifically. His presence on every down also helps the play action pass as a secondary benefit, because D's must account for his running ability even if the ball doesn't go to him. That in turn, frees up someone to receiver the pass, with most likely 1-on-1 coverage. That means he MUST develop his blocking game if he wants to see more playing time. Duke's a willing blocker (tho he can whiff from time to time) AND he's great at swing passes out of the backfield. That's why he's seeing more playing time than Chubb. Hyde is a proven 'every down back' who gets stronger as the game gets longer.

Also, placing a guard in at every (or many) passing downs is a dead tip-off, as well. When they see that, they'll just load the opposite side of the line and bull rush the QB on a blitz away from the extra guard.

Chubb will get his turn... but he's got to work his way up the roster. That means doing everything that's asked of him. He's gotta block if he wants to see the field more often.

Posted By: Jester Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 02:20 AM
The blocking angle is not about run blocking. It's about pass pro. You wanna get Baker killed?

Chubb misses a blitz pick-up this week and Baker gets knocked out of the game and we'll see what people say.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 02:23 AM
Originally Posted By: Jester

Chubb misses a blitz pick-up this week and Baker gets knocked out of the game and we'll see what people say.

"Fire Hue!!!" LOL
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 04:33 AM
I loved Chubb before the knee. I would put him in Adrian Peterson category... he was that good.

After the knee, he was not the same, and it showed, but he is getting better. I hope that this trend continues.

The type of knee injury takes a couple of years for a RB to recover, if they ever do. Many do not. He is making good progress.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 04:33 PM
Quote:
I would never keep him in to block....he would be running or out to enter a pattern.

You don't always get that luxury.. you send in the play and the personnel but if the defense sends in something different, you change and he has to block..

Nobody is expecting him to be Joe Thomas but he damn sure needs to know how to pick up a blitzer or a rusher and keep his QB upright for a few seconds.. that's all anybody wants him to do.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 07:07 PM
Posted By: Tulsa Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 07:22 PM
I hope that every time the home crowd sees Chubb on the field this Sunday, they break into a large chant like the Denver crowd and yell out, "ROOKIE, OF THE WEEK".
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 07:57 PM

"Fire Hue!!!" LOL

That was funny.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 08:20 PM
I don't know what to do with having good young players.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 08:40 PM

Trade them.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 08:41 PM

Fire the coach and the staff so the new regime can come in and determine they don't fit what they want to do and cut them or trade them away for future draft picks... that's been working well.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

Fire the coach and the staff so the new regime can come in and determine they don't fit what they want to do and cut them or trade them away for future draft picks... that's been working well.

Luckily it's usually the GM who does that and we have at least one more year before Haslam fires Dorsey.
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 09:43 PM

I’m going with enjoying it ... thumbsup
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 09:53 PM

We’ve NEVER had anywhere NEAR the TALENT we have NOW ...

NOT EVEN CLOSE ...

I don’t think Hues going anywhere and will be back next year unless he really does some STUPID STUFF ... sorry will ... wink ...

No way is Dorsey going anywhere ...

U guys get to up after a W and way to low after a loss ...

If the refs don’t hose us this place would be off the charts excited for this game and the expectations would be SKY HIGH ... instead a BS call costs us the game and everyone needs to go ...

Ya’all need to be even keel like me ... *L*
WE GOT SOME TALENT and the FUTURES BRIGHT ...
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 10:02 PM
Oh no! You’re predictions have been horrible lately. Please delete this post!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 10:19 PM

We are inundated with them.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 10:39 PM
I really don't know what to do with Diam being optimistic ..... 5 weeks into the season. crazy

It's almost scary. wink
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Nick Chubb - 10/05/18 11:38 PM
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I really don't know what to do with Diam being optimistic ..... 5 weeks into the season. crazy

It's almost scary. wink

Posted By: eotab Re: Nick Chubb - 10/06/18 01:35 PM
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
gadget plays based in misdirection never work in Cleveland.

You need an actual ACTION to get a REACTION. So trying Gadget plays without success in another area of the game to get a REACTION that you wish to make the Gadget play successful.

I think it is just dumb to call a gadget play without getting the necessary REACTION - over playing a run or pass and over commitment by the defense for the success of a Gadget play.

jmho
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/07/18 12:34 AM
Quote:
I would never keep him in to block....he would be running or out to enter a pattern.

You don't always get that luxury.. you send in the play and the personnel but if the defense sends in something different, you change and he has to block..

Nobody is expecting him to be Joe Thomas but he damn sure needs to know how to pick up a blitzer or a rusher and keep his QB upright for a few seconds.. that's all anybody wants him to do.

The blitz pick up Chubb missed on was partly the fault of TT not having him line up on the correct side ... Now all of a sudden Nick Chubb is being marked as 'can't block'?

Thanks for the laughs dawgs thumbsup

Some of you really are good at raining on the party.
Posted By: Jester Re: Nick Chubb - 10/07/18 02:33 AM
Go back and look at his attempt at a block on the blocked punt
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Nick Chubb - 10/07/18 01:55 PM
Go back and look at his attempt at a block on the blocked punt

C'mon it was his first ever snap on that ST EVER ... You are being an unrealistic hater imo.
© DawgTalkers.net