DawgTalkers.net

The Browns' trip back to MetLife Stadium has met a delay.

Cleveland announced it has closed its facility Saturday and its flight to New Jersey has been delayed while contact tracing is being conducted following a positive player test for COVID-19.

The Browns are holding meetings remotely while consulting with the NFL and medical experts on the next steps the team should take.

Cleveland is set to face the New York Jets at 1 p.m. ET Sunday at MetLife Stadium, where the Browns defeated the New York Giants a week ago on Sunday Night Football.

https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-flight-to-new-jersey-delayed-following-positive-covid-19-test
Damn it.

Whoever it is and all contacts will miss this one.
Seems like the game will have to be delayed. That would put us on a short week for Pitts
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Seems like the game will have to be delayed. That would put us on a short week for Pitts

Why does it seem like it needs to be delayed?
Just my thinking
If we're going to lose some of our starting players I'd rather see it delayed a few days.
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
If we're going to lose some of our starting players I'd rather see it delayed a few days.

The league doesn’t delay games because of who tested positive, they delay games based on how many people test positive. Also, if they did delay the game in time for guys to get back then our game would be on Wednesday or so and then we play the Steelers on Sunday and they can’t delay that game because the playoffs are the following week.

I understand people’s frustration but let’s also be realistic.

That's what I'm saying, say we lose Goodson + 5 other starters that would not be fair to a team in the Playoff chase ...
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

That's what I'm saying, say we lose Goodson + 5 other starters that would not be fair to a team in the Playoff chase ...

Fair is not a part of the equation. Positive tests are.
Well if that scenario played out then it would be like us playing on Thanksgiving after a Sunday game. But we would be playing a team we are very familiar with.
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Why does it seem like it needs to be delayed?

Maybe because kickoff is scheduled for 21 hours away and nobody is acting like the plane is going to take off in the next 8 hours.

( I feel like I've got deja freakin lived this before, no, more like memories of what hasn't happened yet.)
edit: of the browns final reg. season game of the year being played by itself, meaning no other games on at that time., and it this one, ouf, what heck do i know.
dark.
Still a kick in the head. Think we still take them.
Why cant playoffs be delayed too?
I'm sure they could if the league wanted. Now what about those TV networks? rolleyesdevil
So if the dolphins and ravens and colts win and we beat the jets then we have to beat the Steelers without our best linebacker plus whoever else we might lose on that artificial turf
PRESISELY!!!
Originally Posted By: slick
So if the dolphins and ravens and colts win and we beat the jets then we have to beat the Steelers without our best linebacker plus whoever else we might lose on that artificial turf

Dems the berries....

Every team has injuries. They just need to go 1-0 and see what happens. Take care of what is within their control and deal with it.

Frankly I think we can win out.
Landry, higgins, and DPJ all are out
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

“Could be” according to Schefter.

It’ll be interesting to see what they do here... we’d have, what, Hodge, Marvin Hall, and Bradley?

It’ll be interesting to see what they do here... we’d have, what, Hodge, Marvin Hall, and Bradley?

And Willies.

My guess is that we just run the crap out of the ball.
[quote=Dawgs4Life]Landry, higgins, and DPJ all are out

It’ll be interesting to see what they do here... we’d have, what, Hodge,

And Willies.

And the jets will know its coming. Load 8 or 9 in box
And do a lot of throwing to TEs.

Might line Njoku up out wide?
If we can’t run against the Jets loading the box then we don’t deserve to win.

And Willies.

Line Hunt up out a the receiver position on occasion.
Use Kendall Lamm as a TE thumbsup
I would think this game has to be delayed now.
j/c:

All thread titles should be web links.
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect

0% chance.
Game on ... fingers crossed we can get the job done.

0% chance.

Not doubting you. But just wondering why?
Browns’ Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, KhaDarel Hodge, B.J. Goodson, Jacob Phillips on COVID-19 list and out for Jets game

This is going to be a tough test on a team trending up. Baker will have to show up this week.

Go Browns
I was thinking if BJ Goodson is a special teams big contributor, maybe all the special teams players have to contract trace and made me think, DPJ, and then think, Kicker? oh, Punter, holder?

There is always more than 0% chance it's 2021 for Goodness sakes.

( Someone pm'd me,
I thought oh lord I must have typed a cuss word and didn't realize it, here goes at least a week ban. headslap)

Not 0% chance,

The Steelers game can be the Next Browns game, with the Jets game to follow the Thursday after

and move potential playoff opponent to Tuesday.

(could be not a problem if frown )

0% chance.

Not doubting you. But just wondering why?

Because there is not an outbreak.
When is it decided a game will be delayed. What's the criteria?
Play the game. Let the chips fall where they may. No excuses.
I'm just asking why was the ravens game delayed and delayed
I can't take it!!! I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! banghead notallthere
I always thought they delayed games out of caution for the other team. If one team doesn't have their COVID situation under control then it would be really bad to have them spread to another team.
Originally Posted By: Xanthros
Browns’ Jarvis Landry, Rashard Higgins, Donovan Peoples-Jones, KhaDarel Hodge, B.J. Goodson, Jacob Phillips on COVID-19 list and out for Jets game

This is going to be a tough test on a team trending up. Baker will have to show up this week.

Go Browns

Wouldn't it be great if Willies gets called up and comes through big.
Or, All the regular receivers test negative too!
I can't take it!!! I JUST CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! banghead notallthere

Stay out of my foxhole.
You got it pal!! thumbsup
IF all those receivers are out I guess it's a safe bet we'll see Marvin Hall suit up. Interesting.

Go Browns

I'm assuming all of the WR were close contact exposure with Goodson....
We should not be allowing every starting player from any single unit hang out together outside of the practice facility.
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Go Browns

I'm assuming all of the WR were close contact exposure with Goodson....
We should not be allowing every starting player from any single unit hang out together outside of the practice facility.

It’s against the NFL’s rules.
OL is in tack except Teller and we have Chubb and Hunt and Baker and we have Njoku, Hooper, and Bryant and Willies isn't bad so we will have to see ???
I'm just asking why was the ravens game delayed and delayed

Because they had a ton of positive tests and the positives were not slowing down. We have one positive test. Positive tests by multiple people for multiple days is very different than close contacts.
We've been put in a difficult position but we have a HC and a QB that will find a way to deal with this. KS is smart and has shown poise this year and Baker has pride and will take this as another challenge to overcome. This team has lot more confidence now than they did at the beginning of the season. I don't know how things will come out but I know this team will fight.
The coaching staff has their hands full, trying to improvise. I doubt our offensive coaches have given much thought to what happens when you’re WR unit is decimated, on short notice. But now that I think of it, they probably have thought about a scenario like this.

We’ll beat the Jets anyway, as long as we can get to the stadium, and get the game started with enough players.
Nothing like a little drama. And this is NOTHING like a LITTLE drama.
Well, 10-6 is still a pretty good year!!! thumbsup
! thumbsup

Dude, I've never felt further away from you than that statement.

I'd just delete that post.
Did the Browns fly to New Jersey?

Is the Game going to be played tomorrow at 1 pm or not?
Yes we are en route ... game on for 1pm
At this juncture they need to be getting the vaccines.
Originally Posted By: tastybrownies
At this juncture they need to be getting the vaccines.

Over the frontline workers? That’s a hard no.
Kevin Johnson CB, can line up a wr
Karl Joseph Cb can line up at wr
Case Keenum can line up at wr
Baker Mayfield can line up a WR with Keenum in a qb.

Derrick Willies WR can line up at WR
and Marvin Hall can line up at WR.

Bryant TE can line up as a WR.
Which elevates Carlson TE to next TE.

Same with Hooper, and Njoku.

D'Ernest Johnson can line up at Wr
or take next spot if Hunt or Chubb do.

Then there are Terrence Mitchell,
and Ward
and Tedrick and Sendejo can take their place a few snaps.
I can no longer stand your posts. Say hello to SuperBrown.
Originally Posted By: lampdogg

They always provide a great laugh, great entertainment for me.
I don’t.
Originally Posted By: Dave
Play the game. Let the chips fall where they may. No excuses.

Cause there is nothing better than setting your Ferrari on fire because it ran out of washer fluid.
The NFL is not about excuses. It is about overcoming adversity. If you make mistakes they can kill your season.

Why were WRs having a close contact with LBs? The NFL has protocols that involve players not being around other players except at certain times. If members of the team broke those protocols, then they hurt the team and the rest of the team needs to buck up and try to cover the mistake.

Fussing and whining does nothing to help, the Browns play the Jets tomorrow. It is what it is, and they need to find a way to win.

I will say I am glad this didn't happen a week (or two) later.

You must be starved for entertainment. Seriously.

Originally Posted By: JulesDawg

You must be starved for entertainment. Seriously.

Not really, life's pretty good to me.

However I do enjoy a dark comedy from time to time. grin
Remember how bad we were when we had one win? That’s the Jets right now. San Darnold has started ten games and has six touchdown passes. He is averaging 176 yards per game.

If we lose it’s not because of COVID, it’s because we crapped the bed.
Remember how bad we were when we had one win? That’s the Jets right now. San Darnold has started ten games and has six touchdown passes. He is averaging 176 yards per game.

If we lose it’s not because of COVID, it’s because we crapped the bed.

I agree, if the script were flipped as it has been so many times over past history. We would still think we didn't have a chance if we were in their shoes.

But I can't blame some of our fans for feeling this way. I've been very negative over the years only because I'm scared to think positive because the losses only hurt more when I started to believe.

And I can only think back to week 16 of 2007 when all we had to do is beat the lowly Bengals to clinch a spot and DA threw 4 picks. I went to the game since I only live 45 minutes away from Cincinnati. It was such a painful loss, all the crap I had to hear as I walked back to the car after that....

So I'm still kind of scared, but something about this team feels so different. The coaching, the players.. I think we will overcome the adversity this time.
The Browns panic DNA is strong.
Waited all week hoping nothing like this would come down and sure as hell it did. Just wiped out our entire receiver corps and starting MIKE (defensive signal caller) in the blink of an eye. Already down Teller which hurts the run game big time and of course Wills is hanging by a thread.

There is some hope here. The Jets are out Quinnen Williams, and he is a beast for them ranking 15th overall for interior defenders per PFF and 10th against the run (he's been even more disruptive than those grades suggest as well). For those that think the Browns can just line up and run the ball down any NFL team's throat, it doesn't work that way. That, and the Jets rank 8th in DVOA against the rush, they are absolutely not a pushover in the run game, but Williams was a massive part of their success in that area. They rank 29th in DVOA against the pass, and that was no doubt the game plan coming in without Teller -- and Williams out for them -- throw the ball to set up the run. Similar to the Giants game and many others except for those 3 bad weather bastards that set the entire offense back. This team has to have the threat of the passing game to set up the running game the way they want it, it's not "just line up and run down their throats with 10 boxers".

The other thing is this is very short notice. The coaching staff is under extreme duress here to come up with an alternative game plan using guys off the street at WR. There is absolutely no way these guys are going to all know the playbook to the point the Browns could somewhat run their original planned scheme, even if they wanted to. Jarvis would have ate these guys for lunch this week, he was ready for a go off game against slot corner Guidry as was and that dude is doubtful now as well.

That said, the Jets are undoubtedly going to load the box and most likely blitz like crazy. Browns are going to need to utilize all 4 TEs throughout the game heavily, along with Chubb and Hunt in 2 back sets where Hunt slots out or tries to isolate a backer. I picture a very short passing game and a lot of boot/rollouts using misdirection and having the WRs who do play try to settle in zones. Baker will still need to take some pokes downfield and there could me some opportunities there if the Jets start getting too box heavy and their safeties try to make a bunch of hero plays. Look for a lot of screens to both the backs and the TEs. Also, this could be a seam breaker game for Njoku (if he hangs onto the ball)

The defense should be able to hang okay but the Jets are showing signs of an offense. They schemed the Rams by getting the ball out quick and it worked, so they will no doubt do that against us to keep our Dline at bay. That means the Browns will have to be somewhat aggressive and not allow easy completions underneath, which opens up getting beat downfield.

This is a whole new game now and one I still expect to win, but the caveat is the Browns can ill afford to shoot themselves in the foot. They need to play a clean, efficient game on both sides of the ball and hopefully either win or not get killed in the turnover battle.

If the Browns go in and take care of business, they will get even more respect nationally than they have already. The Jets just went across country and beat a playoff team with a top 5 defense in their house, so this game is not a pushover whatsoever. Let's hope we don't have flag happy refs, penalties will be much harder to overcome.

This is a game that will go down in Browns lore if we win it -- especially win it going away -- regardless what happens and who plays next week against the Puke.
Chill people! We got this. It's all just part of the story of the 2020 Browns rising from the ashes like a phoenix.
Betting line just re-posted after being off the board.

Browns went from -9.5 to -7. Vegas still says Browns win w/o much sweat.
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Chill people! We got this. It's all just part of the story of the 2020 Browns rising from the ashes like a phoenix.

Don't sweat those guys. One of them pizzed and moaned and whined while predicting a loss in every game and series leading to the Cavs Championship. There's not a person on earth that would enjoy watching a game with someone acting like that, so they come here and hide behind a keyboard to spout that crap.
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

All thread titles should be web links.

It worked well enough to get you to click on it. Mission accomplished.
If we can’t run against the Jets loading the box then we don’t deserve to win.

Hat on a hat.
Beat your man.
Be the bully.
Win the game.

It's football... in December.
Quote:
There's not a person on earth that would enjoy watching a game with someone acting like that

"Hey, guys! Great party! The jams are slappin', the girls are smokin', and the only thing that's missing from the punch bowl is a turd or two floatin' around. We can fix this problem!!!"

smdh.
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc

ECCLESIASTES 9:11

I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither bread to the wise, nor riches to men of understanding, nor favor to men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all.
A Nor'eastern develops the day before the Jets game....
WR's will not be a factor as the wind conditions are too severe....
Sound familiar?
O Staff goes to the Weather Package.... we have to have one.... now if only we had a Great TE and RB Core... oh wait....

The weather in East Rutherford will be cool and seasonable. Skies will be partly cloudy to start the game, progressing to mostly sunny as the game wears on. Winds will be light and variable at 5 - 10 mph out of the southwest throughout the game.

If only Baker could spread it around...oh wait...

MIKE goes down the day before the game.... OH NO.... oh wait.... I think we prepared for this.... plus Ward is back.....

I still see a WIN...
If we can't win this one we have no reason to be in the Playoffs.

I mean I know that the covid rules will not change.

However, seems to me that in a case like this. Where those that have not tested positive could take a pre game instant check that could determine positive or negative.

The contact tracing to a positive will not show if that previous contact was with both parties wearing a mask or not.

If you are tested negative can you infect someone else if you had contact with a carrier when both of you wore masks?

This may be a case of overkill. I mean if you are negative hours before could you turn positive over a 3.5 hour game time frame?

Agreed> I still think we can win. I just wish it didn't have to be so hard. By the way, today is the 56th anniversary of our last championship. December 27th 1964 27-0 over the Baltimore Colts a game many didn't think we could win. If you asked anyone after that game, Browns fan or not, that 56 years would pass and the Browns wouldn't win another championship they would have thought you were nuts!! frown

I have stated the same thing numerous times.

In 64 I was in eleventh grade. The Browns were at the time a top team.

I always took it for granted that we would compete every year for a title.

That is how you think when young and dumb.

Play the game and hope that no more than those named are infected.

Got to be super careful given the present threats..covid 19 and now other various strains from the UK as well as other places.

Next man up....!
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Bahahahaa

A special edition "who are these guys?" breakdown.
Honestly, though... can Njoku scoot out wide for a game. Throw Hunt out there as well? Even if we lose Njoku to the WR room, we still and 2 very good guys at the spot (and Carlson).

Main question is who is our deep threat? How do we cover for our missing LBs?
Kevin will probably use a conservative game plan.

This game will hopefully show how far we have come both mentally and as characters since last season.
[quote=Floquinho]Kevin will probably use a conservative game plan.

This game will hopefully show how far we have come both mentally and as characters since last season. [/quot

Doesn't matter what game plan we use. Mow "all of a sudden " our left tackle is out and most likely had covid even though he had been testing negative. This is not a winnable game. Even if I'm wrong I would not doubt all these players the nfl wont let play who ate testing negative will suddenly be positive
We can use Marvin Hall as our deep threat. That's probably one of the reasons we picked him up. As for LB someone will have to step up. Mack Wilson possibly? It'll be a chance for him to get back in with the coaches.
We can use Marvin Hall as our deep threat. That's probably one of the reasons we picked him up. As for LB someone will have to step up. Mack Wilson possibly? It'll be
a chance for him to get back in with the coaches.

Hall is also the guy who has the most exposure to the playbook along with some explosion. He could be a factor and is a potential money saver in DFS.

Not as worried about the backers unless they start dropping during the game. Obviously, losing Beej Goods hurts, but I see the term "two starters out at linebacker" when including Phillips and I think that makes it sound worse than it is. Takitaki has been playing some really good ball and Malcolm Smith is probably the best LBer we have all around. Mack will need to stay at home better and play lower, but he can certainly step in. We should be okay there, and I expect Myles and Vernon to get after both tackles for the Jets. The rookie Becton is having a pretty good year but is still a rook, and Fant (RT) is not exactly a stud (PFF ranking of 62nd).

Their interior oline is not good. Former Buckeye Elflein, McGovern and Andrews are bottom of the league bad per PFF. Elflein and Andrews are in the low 40s.......

If Darnold tried to get rid of it quick, we have a chance to jump some routes. If the Jets are stupid and try to run slow developing plays, I can see our line eating them alive for a 5 sack plus game.

Wills is officially out but I have solid faith in Lamm, who could possibly even be a step up in the running game.
Ja’Marcus Bradley has been on the practice squad the whole season so he should have a pretty good grasp on the playbook. Willies was with the team during training camp and has been back for several weeks so he should be good to go also.

Malcolm Smith has been pretty good and should be able to fill in for Goodson. Mack Wilson has been terrible. Takitaki has been great against the run. I’d expect to see Sendejo and/or Joseph in the linebacker spot quite often.

We are really lucky to be playing to the Jets.
Ja’Marcus Bradley has been on the practice squad the whole season so he should have a pretty good grasp on the playbook. Willies was with the team during training camp and has been back for several weeks so he should be good to go also.

Malcolm Smith has been pretty good and should be able to fill in for Goodson. Mack Wilson has been terrible. Takitaki has been great against the run. I’d expect to see Sendejo and/or Joseph in the linebacker spot quite often.

We are really lucky to be playing to the Jets.

Mack Wilson was trash last year and he continues to be just a special teamer this year. He played his best game as a healthy scratch last week
Nothing like trying to win a game with one arm tied behind your back, I've felt this game was no gimme and all these players out just increases the difficulty level

We need the Colts to win against the Steelers today, so we gotta root for the Giants but they don't have a good chance
j/c

I see no reason we can't use 3 TE sets and swing Hunt out as a WR. The Jets will be expecting and prepared for an all out running game and I think Stefanski may have a surprise for them.
© DawgTalkers.net