DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 03:19 PM

We have our team. Granted there could still be slight changes.

We are ready. Camp went well. Bummer about Phillips but he may return, and we can cover his loss.

Our last real game was the Chiefs. It was a close game.

So the question is:

Are the Chiefs better, worse, or the same?

Are the Browns better, worse, or the same?

2021 for the Chiefs began with Reid's son and the accident. Then they got beat by the Bucs.

Eric Fisher and Mitchell Schwartz were released. They signed Joe tunney and Kyle Long who is now on the IR.

This article gives a KC overview.
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/podcasts/t...letely-balanced

Same offense. Defense? Middle of the pack.

Verdict they are good but pretty much the same.
================================================

The Browns on offense returns everybody and added Odell. That is an upgrade on it's own. We also added Schwartz and Felton. As well as a new and improved DPJ. Jarvis is also way more healthy than last season.

Browns defense: This is where we made serious additions.

We added big time free agents. And highly ranked draft picks.

I don't need to point out the players we all know who they are.

Verdict. The Browns are better.

Not just from the player changes. We are better because we have the same staff and a real pre-season.

Building upon instead of learning anew is gigantic.

Later on next week we can look at the matchup.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 03:25 PM
The changes to their Oline are notable, but it's Mahommes and his weapons that make that O hum. They'll definitely be healthier.

Hopefully our defense can put together a bunch of big plays, though I'm getting myself ready for some initial disappointment. Our D might take a couple games to get going.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 05:12 PM
In my mind we have 6 extremely difficult games:

1 - at KC
2 - at Pittsburgh
3 - at Baltimore
4 - at Minnesota
5 - at LA Chargers
6 - at Green Bay

If we can win 2 of those it would be a huge boost. KC is the toughest one.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 05:23 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
In my mind we have 6 extremely difficult games:

1 - at KC
2 - at Pittsburgh
3 - at Baltimore
4 - at Minnesota
5 - at LA Chargers
6 - at Green Bay

If we can win 2 of those it would be a huge boost. KC is the toughest one.

Considering we play Pittsburgh and Baltimore twice and being at home is no guarantee, I assume we have 8 difficult games. And we should win 5 of them. We could win all 8 of them, but it's doubtful. The key is to not drop any of the not difficult games, aka the Jets from last year.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 06:15 PM
KC is pretty much the only game on the schedule I think is a greater than 75% chance at a L. Their offense is just crazy and our defense has alot of new parts that haven't played together yet and their offense has been playing in preseason. While we should be better in the secondary, our LB core is still bottom 5. If we can get to mahommes it could create some interesting matchups. But PM is so good and can throw anywhere on the field from any angle, we have to close out his throwing lanes. On the flipside, their defense has to defend our offense and I think our offense is every bit a challenge to defend, moreso because of our running game than Baker. I kind of see it being a first game exciting shootout and whoever scores last wins, but I think we will have more problems stopping what they do than vice versa. If all goes well we get our revenge when it really matters
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 06:28 PM
I think the Chargers game will be a very difficult game to win too. For some reason I view them as a good team coming
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 06:34 PM
I would venture to guess that the KC game will be the toughest of all in regards to our D being ready to function on all cylinders.

There's a difference in learning a new system than there is in finding a comfort level within that system and those plays being second nature to you. That can only come from playing in that system to the point it feels natural.

Of course as the season moves on we will have injuries. That's just the nature of the beast in the NFL. But they can not be predicted and we don't know where we will stand from the roster point of view later in the season.

But with everything being equal I would say the earlier games will be the hardest when facing tough opponents.

I refer back to our O during the first half of last season compared to the second half of last season as an example.
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 07:00 PM

All good points by everyone.

Very hard for me to look at games past KC. I am very coach like in looking only at the game you face. Each week presents different challenges. Injuries happen to any tean any time.

I have major respect for KC. Their record makes you respect them.

However, I like how we match-up.

Both offenses are exceptional but different. They are a big play team that can score quickly.

The Browns are more run centric. We can control the ball better with our running attack. Time of possesion should favor the Browns.

That should help our defense. The key for the Browns defense will be all about pressure on Mahomes. They can run some but they are a passing team. Reid is very inventive. He uses lots of motion and disquise. But the targets are Hill and Kelce. Mercole Hardman is their second receiver.

Unleash the dawgs. Clowney and Myles are going to have to get after Mahomes all day. We will on occasion blitz. Jok could be big. He is a sure tackler. Mahomes will not shake him.

The Chiefs have no tape to look at for our defense. Woods has many options to disquise coverage. We can give many looks and use different packages.

In the end we have to get Mahomes on the ground sometimes.

I like the Browns in this game. Not playing homer. I am being honest.

Two good teams and anything could happen. I like the Browns.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 07:19 PM
KC is gonna be a tough one for sure, but I am really excited about going 1-0. smile
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 07:19 PM
During the 2020 season we executed 495 rushing attempts and 501 passing attempts. That's the picture of a totally balanced offense. Neither run centric nor pass centric. And if one thinks about it, our passing game didn't even really blossom until the second half of the season. Our TOP was only a little over one and half minutes more than our opponents.

https://www.nfl.com/teams/cleveland-browns/stats

I know it becomes common place to repeat things and believe things because they are constantly repeated on here, but we have even more invested in salary cap, and it's not even close, in our passing game than we have in our running game. We have a very accurate passer in Baker.

What that allows us to do is play the type of game we choose, when we choose, depending on the opponent and the game situation. If you're playing a team like KC who tends to score a lot of points, your goal would most likely be to score a lot of points early with your passing game. If you can accomplish that, at that point you can drain the clock with your running game.

That's something we saw a lot of last year especially in the second half of the season. I actually witnessed a lot of fans complaining about it. Talking about how we had such a huge lead and then letting that lead shrink because we insisted on running the ball after we gained that lead through the air.

We have the balance to do anything we want. And that's just what we did last year. Neither the passing game nor the running game was really favored in offensive snaps. That's the Stefanski system and I doubt he's changed his game planning from last year to this year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 07:36 PM

Our offense is efficient.

But we can run the ball better than they can.

Our play action pass game is predicated on our ability to run the ball.

We have the OL. We have the best duo backs in football.

If we want to play ball possesion we can.

That becomes important late in games when you have the lead.

It can also shorten games.

By design we are balanced. But the threat of our run game must be honored by defenses.

In addition we throw to backs. YAC is built into what we do. Felton will add to this.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 07:40 PM
Every team throws to their backs. And yes, "if we want" we can play ball possession. That's what a balanced team can do.

And who has a better set of WR's than we do? Who has better depth at WR than we do? We have a team where your opponent must respect both our passing game as well as our running game.

That's why our play calling was pretty evenly split between running plays and passing plays last year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 08:25 PM

Let's get ready to Rumble!

Two good teams right off the bat head on.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: FrankZ
KC is gonna be a tough one for sure, but I am really excited about going 1-0. smile

Beating the Chiefs, at their stadium, in week 1 changes the narrative from the Browns being "A" team to beat in the AFC to the Browns being "THE" team to beat in the AFC.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 08:41 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 08:54 PM
The Chiefs score a lot of points. Their last years' weakness the OL is probably on the road to getting better but it'll be the first game together.

They score a lot of points, Not Only do they have, Mahommes throwing to K'ill and Kelce, and ?
Whom the Browns had trouble covering, but they have Andy Reid, and his seasoned mind dreaming up matchups.

Now, Mecole Hardman is the real deal, think a more refined DPJ. and Hardman will be WR #2.
The Problem is, who's going to be on him? Greedy? Newsome? Other?

The Chiefs, are probably going to try and get the points early, then break out the running game, or even use the passes, ( Wouldn't be surprised if another 11 minute drive, leaves you asking, "What da! What happened?"

The Chiefs! If you looked at all the good teams from 2020, in the NFL, The Cheifs, even in losses, never had a loss where they didn't score a fair amount of points, even about 20 something.

In the Chiefs recent losses, the other team scored a lot of points. So, it's going to take a lot of points to beat these losers. I'm guessing 44.
I think the Browns can hold them to 43.

But that's the problem, If they don't find a way to Stop Andy Reid and his scheming, from keeping the ball for a 12 minute drive,
i.e. if the Browns don't get turnovers, or big time game changing plays in the scoring, quick scoring also,

Then The bad guys are just going to eat up enough of the Clock, that even with the Browns High powered offense, their won't be enough Time! to match the chiefs in scoring, and get above or near that 40 point mark.

The Browns, have rebuilt their defense, With new and better parts but still a rebuild of new faces.
So far, it looks like the Browns, philosophy, on defese, is the same. Be opportunistic, cover these same routes the same ways, but

They don't look like they will have any more success forcing punts, other than their players are a slight bit faster?

Did the Browns get better? OBJ is back but we know he and Baker don't play best when he's on the field, so far.

Specifically the Defense, and stopping, Kelce, Tyrek Hill, and anyone else.
Well the Browns have JJ3, and Troy Hill, will that matter? We saw that Denzel Ward couldn't cover Kelce? (one of em), one on one.

The Browns added, Togiai, JOK, and Greg Newsome.
Newsome last covered college players at Northwestern, now he's going to face Mecole Hardman, who has big play ability.

The Browns are going to enter this game without Sheldon Richardson or Larry Ogunjobi in the run defense, and,
Believe me the Chiefs wouldn't mind running all over all day.
But the Browns have, Malik Jackson, and Andrew Billings to clog up the middle. (Clowney?)

The Browns! best chance, OF COURSE is to run for 400 yards on these freaks.
The Browns! EQUALLY best chance is to score quickly and often and get that 44 points mark.

Going off of last year, 2020, that would probably involve another HUGE 2nd quarter as so many of the Browns big scoring days had huge 2nd quarters.

It's a road game, and defense is necessary to win road games.
Defense Travels.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 10:41 PM
KC is the toughest one.

We got this.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 11:50 PM
GC. Has the Browns defense, addressed the need to have a group of more than 1 player spy the quarterback to make sure he doesn't run?

1 must not be able to do it, because it's been about an 8 year problem, so, it's impossible to think, they haven't had at least 1 person spy the quarterback.

Can we please one year, If I hear the announcers, say at halftime of the Ravens game, after already giving up a ton of yards on the ground to the Qb, that it's time to begin, to find someone to spy the Qb. willynilly

Oh, I hope they are thinking of this 350 days a year.
Or the Chiefs, or the Bills, or any number of teams who regularly expose this defense with Qb's who run.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 11:56 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
During the 2020 season we executed 495 rushing attempts and 501 passing attempts. That's the picture of a totally balanced offense. Neither run centric nor pass centric. And if one thinks about it, our passing game didn't even really blossom until the second half of the season. Our TOP was only a little over one and half minutes more than our opponents.

https://www.nfl.com/teams/cleveland-browns/stats

I know it becomes common place to repeat things and believe things because they are constantly repeated on here, but we have even more invested in salary cap, and it's not even close, in our passing game than we have in our running game. We have a very accurate passer in Baker.

What that allows us to do is play the type of game we choose, when we choose, depending on the opponent and the game situation. If you're playing a team like KC who tends to score a lot of points, your goal would most likely be to score a lot of points early with your passing game. If you can accomplish that, at that point you can drain the clock with your running game.

That's something we saw a lot of last year especially in the second half of the season. I actually witnessed a lot of fans complaining about it. Talking about how we had such a huge lead and then letting that lead shrink because we insisted on running the ball after we gained that lead through the air.

We have the balance to do anything we want. And that's just what we did last year. Neither the passing game nor the running game was really favored in offensive snaps. That's the Stefanski system and I doubt he's changed his game planning from last year to this year.

Good info in there, I'd be curious to see what percentage of our passing plays came off play action. I think we use that alot more than KC does.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: On to Kansas City - 09/02/21 11:57 PM
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

put them in bubblewrap and stuff in a hyperbaric chamber until 30 minutes before kickoff..
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 12:48 PM
Let’s hope Greedy and Delpit are good to go. We need all the secondary help we can get this week
Posted By: dnadawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 02:51 PM
A lot of homerism in this thread. So let me offer the alternative view.

Some people have still not faced the reality of the playoff loss that, yes the final score was close, and yes, the Higgins TO vs. TD affected the game, but if Mahomes is playing in that 4th quarter, we had no chance at that point. Our defense was never up to the task, and our offense was flat that day, whoever you want to blame. Hell, we just got an enormous monkey off our back with the Pitt win, so could be as simple as an emotional let-down.

The Chiefs OL is new and will have some breakdowns, but unless all those breakdowns turn into strip-sack-fumbles or INTs, it won't matter. They will play well enough on most plays for Mahomes, Kelce, & Hill to beat the pants off our D as it stands today. I've been over on their messageboards and they have homer beliefs on CEH, Mecole Hardman, and their OL, but I'm not buying it. Their offense is Andy Reid's traveling 3-man show, and that's good enough. Their defense is also experienced, with a better passrush than we saw last year, and good enough to hold us under 30.

Prediction: Chiefs 38, Browns 24. I'll be excited to see what we could bring to a rematch in January, but for week 1 it ain't happening.
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 03:17 PM

Nothing wrong at all in your opinion.

Homerism?

It is one game. Two good teams starting off a season.

However, if you don't believe this team this year can win it all. You probably never will.

I don't make that statement lightly. I was born in Willowick in 1947. I have watched the Browns closely since 1960 when I delivered the Plain Dealer.

This is the best team I have seen. And I have not seen them play this year.

I don't predict. The games will tell.

I am going by the roster and coaching staff. In 1987 I felt we could win it all. It didn't happen. But we were damn close.
Posted By: dnadawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 03:46 PM
Yes, if this team stays healthy and grows throughout the year, we are good enough to win it all. Just don't think we are ready in week 1.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 04:03 PM
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
Yes, if this team stays healthy and grows throughout the year, we are good enough to win it all. Just don't think we are ready in week 1.

What? What makes you think we aren't ready?

Geez just go ahead and root for the Chefs!
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 08:02 PM
Having so many new players on D makes it hard for me to believe we will be as ready to compete in week one as we will be in week 8. If they look at least years O it's easy to see how much better they performed in the second half of the season than in the first half of the season.

I do have to say that we are in year two of this defense which does make it somewhat different. But we have a lot of new starters in it. Any time a player changes into a new defense, learning to be comfortable in that defense and to the point that it becomes instinctual and second nature to you takes time.

Let's just say I would be far more comfortable playing KC later in the season rather than right out of the gate.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 08:28 PM
A lot of homerism in this thread. So let me offer the alternative view.

Some people have still not faced the reality of the playoff loss that, yes the final score was close, and yes, the Higgins TO vs. TD affected the game, but if Mahomes is playing in that 4th quarter, we had no chance at that point. Our defense was never up to the task, and our offense was flat that day, whoever you want to blame. Hell, we just got an enormous monkey off our back with the Pitt win, so could be as simple as an emotional let-down.

The Chiefs OL is new and will have some breakdowns, but unless all those breakdowns turn into strip-sack-fumbles or INTs, it won't matter. They will play well enough on most plays for Mahomes, Kelce, & Hill to beat the pants off our D as it stands today. I've been over on their messageboards and they have homer beliefs on CEH, Mecole Hardman, and their OL, but I'm not buying it. Their offense is Andy Reid's traveling 3-man show, and that's good enough. Their defense is also experienced, with a better passrush than we saw last year, and good enough to hold us under 30.

Prediction: Chiefs 38, Browns 24. I'll be excited to see what we could bring to a rematch in January, but for week 1 it ain't happening.

Mecole Hardman is the real deal. I don't know who CEH is, I don't know any other Chiefs not mentioned except their RB who I can't remember. Later I find out it's Clyde Edwards Helaire, which I could have just read, but pronouncning his name, and reading CEH are way separate things.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 09:02 PM
Pronounced hell-air.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: On to Kansas City - 09/03/21 11:50 PM
I'm about to throw my 2 cents in even though it might not be popular. I feel we have a very good team that could win 12-13 games providing we stay reasonably healthy. However, I can also see us going 2-3 for our first 5 games even though I hope we go 5-0. Why? Our D, while talented on paper, has some jelling to do. I believe if our D stays healthy we will have a top 10 D or better by the end of the season. WE should beat Houston and Chicago at home. The KC game will probably be a loss. The games at LA. and MINN. will be tougher than people think. Hebert and that O are good and we have a terrible all time record against the Chargers as well as the Vikings. I realize we have a lot of talent on this team, more than we've had in lord knows how long but to me, until we prove we can put it together and beat some of these teams we historically have had trouble with I will have some doubt. By the way, Detroit and Denver are on the schedule and we've done worst against them than anybody. JMO
Posted By: leadtheway Re: On to Kansas City - 09/04/21 05:06 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I'm about to throw my 2 cents in even though it might not be popular. I feel we have a very good team that could win 12-13 games providing we stay reasonably healthy. However, I can also see us going 2-3 for our first 5 games even though I hope we go 5-0. Why? Our D, while talented on paper, has some jelling to do. I believe if our D stays healthy we will have a top 10 D or better by the end of the season. WE should beat Houston and Chicago at home. The KC game will probably be a loss. The games at LA. and MINN. will be tougher than people think. Hebert and that O are good and we have a terrible all time record against the Chargers as well as the Vikings. I realize we have a lot of talent on this team, more than we've had in lord knows how long but to me, until we prove we can put it together and beat some of these teams we historically have had trouble with I will have some doubt. By the way, Detroit and Denver are on the schedule and we've done worst against them than anybody. JMO

I think alot of people are in this boat.. tough schedule in the beginning while trying to get alot of new parts on defense together. On paper we got better but the reality is our LB core is still one of the worst..hopefully the line can get off blocks and stop the run, i think we will be top 5 against the pass this year if everyone stays healthy..the run worries me given our LBers. Even if we just stop the other team a few more times again with our offense taking another step we probably won't even need much defense
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/04/21 10:21 PM
First Place in the Entire AFC is on the line

Somebody tell Baker, and all the rest of the Browns, they aren't playing that team, they are playing the Kansas City Bengals,
so expect to win.

That other team with their hall of fame coach, they know how to win, BUT! they know how to Lose Also!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 03:39 AM

I think that the only thing this team need to be ready for in Week 1 is the Week 1 opponent. Why? Simple: KC won't be in championship form on Week One, either!

A championship game is the last chapter of a story written from Chapter 1.

Brownies don't need to be championship-ready on Game One. They just need to be good enough to beat the guy across from them on that Game One.

I think we are good enough (on paper) and coached-up enough (by this extremely competent staff) to hit the ground running, all question marks (and Andy Reid) aside.

This team is capable of a Week One win, no doubt.

I think they'll be ready for the game they must play. That approach is what gets a team to the Last Game of the NFL season.

Posted By: BADdog Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 05:34 AM
I think this game will look a lot like the pittsburgh play off game. willynilly
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 10:38 AM
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
this is how I think as well. The Chargers and Vikings games are very difficult. They have good teams.

I look at our schedule and only see 2 games that I’d feel comfortable in saying we’ll win: Houston and Detroit
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 12:22 PM

All aboard there Clem.

Kevin's code has been ingrained into the team.

The task today. Work today.

After all that this team went through last year. I don't sweat being prepared to play.

KS has his finger on the pulse of this team.

We are ready.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 04:34 PM
Having so many new players on D makes it hard for me to believe we will be as ready to compete in week one as we will be in week 8. If they look at least years O it's easy to see how much better they performed in the second half of the season than in the first half of the season.

I do have to say that we are in year two of this defense which does make it somewhat different. But we have a lot of new starters in it. Any time a player changes into a new defense, learning to be comfortable in that defense and to the point that it becomes instinctual and second nature to you takes time.

Let's just say I would be far more comfortable playing KC later in the season rather than right out of the gate.

By no stretch do I discount a word of what you said here, just going to sorta counter what you said.

I think the Browns are going to dominate the LOS like we have never seen before. The keys will be Garret and Clowney but the kicker is going to be McDowell and JOK.

That is going to provide the backend with the ability to take some chances and create turnovers. The O line for the Chief isn't going to be able to handle the d line from the Browns and I don't believe it will matter all that much how long they have played together? They will point McDowell who I truly believe to be a mini- Arron Darnold clown at PM and tell him to blow him up and he will, throw in JOK coming at PM from all angles this game is going to be a treat.

Pressure is the key and I really believe that there isn't an NFL team that will truly handle the 2021 Browns D line.

This comes down to winning in the trenches and I think we got that covered.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 04:39 PM
I believe they will have a lot of quick pass plays dialed up to combat us getting to Mahomes. Quick TE passes and short over the middle routes, short crossing routes. I mean if we know they're weak on the OL, so do they. While we do have a lot of talent and are well coached, so are they.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 04:52 PM
I believe they will have a lot of quick pass plays dialed up to combat us getting to Mahomes. Quick TE passes and short over the middle routes, short crossing routes. I mean if we know they're weak on the OL, so do they. While we do have a lot of talent and are well coached, so are they.

And that is where we will be able to take some chances and jump those routes, this game will be a chess match to be sure but I think we will have more answers then they anticipate. A moments hesitation on their part will result in PM seeing stars again.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 05:02 PM
I think both teams will have answers. Like you said, it will be a chess match. Their coach is just as good at playing chess as ours is. I'm not saying we'll lose the game. What I'm saying is if there is likely a game we will lose, this is it.

We hung close in the end with Mahomes sitting on the sideline last year. Unless something happens we will face him for a full four quarters this time.

With so many new moving parts on our D I'm fully aware we aren't going to be the same defense in week one as we will be by mid season.

While I'm cautiously optimistic I temper that optimism with a dose of reality.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 05:33 PM
I told you before I don't discount what your saying but their is reason for huge optimism for Browns fans.

The Chiefs have a new O Line and the Browns have a reworked D Line headed by Garret. Last year when we played them PM didn't do his usual deep deep drop as much as 20 yards at times because of Garret. Now with Clowney and McDowell I am not sure what he will do step forward in the pocket may not be a good option anymore to avoid Garret. The Browns defensive line I believe has a big advantage and would under any set of circumstance based on time playing together. We don't know what we will see from our D Line anything is possible but the chance of our D Line controlling the trenches and making life difficult and hopefully impossible for PM are more likely then the Chiefs retooled O Line being up to managing the Browns D Line and I have watched enough of PM to know if he is pressured he is like every other QB.

I again don't discount the Chiefs and their coach, I wouldn't sell the Browns short they have a boat load of talent and they are extremely well coached as well. Man for man I believe the Browns are a much better team but the 3 superstars the Chiefs have are the great equalizers I get it. This game will come down to who wins in the trenches and I think that will be the Browns.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 05:39 PM
I'm not selling the Browns short. I'm simply looking at both sides of the coin rather than only one.
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 06:15 PM

"This game will come down to who wins in the trenches and I think that will be the Browns."

Back in the day of leather helmets when I actually played football. My first head coach said; "games are won or lost on the line of scrimmage."

That is about as old school as you can get.

However, it still rings true. The OL makes it happen for the Browns on offense. Berry came in. It was his first move. He rebuilt the OL.
======================================================

Addressing the offense the first year. Berry moved to the defense. He had already secured Myles. He wanted Clowney and Takk. He got them. He wanted more speed on defense.
Signed JJ3 and Hill. Drafted Newsome and JOK. Berry places a premium on pass rushers. And he wants to pressure the quarterback.

Malik Jackson was signed as a inside pressure guy with a reputation as a leader. They were counting on Billings to hold down the center. And they expected developing growth from Elliott.

The X-factor was McDowell. No doubt he was a long shot. They drafted Togiai. Signed the udfa Wilson.

Camp has surprises. And the surprises of the camp were DPJ and Malik McDowell.

MM will rotate into the interior with Elliott. This has the potential to change the entire dynamic of the defensive line. Two edge rushers pinch the outside. Interior pressure up the middle becomes deadly. There is no where to go.

They will have a three man rotation at DE. Three first round picks who really rush. The interior will play down and distance. Run down Billings and Jackson.

If McDowell and Elliott bring hard pressure up the middle?
Look out.

Woods will have the JOK option in his back pocket. He is a crease blitzer or outside of the end RPO stopper. He can shoot for the qb or force the run inside.

I have enormous respect for Mahomes. However, consistent pressure on a quarterback makes HOF'ers look ordinary.

I think we break the spell of first game losses.
Posted By: dnadawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 06:15 PM
PIT,

At least you're just selling the Browns short. I apparently need to become a fan of the Chiefs. L
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 06:37 PM
I'm just trying to be objective. It's not as if I don't understand the enthusiasm. I certainly do. I simply understand that when you add a bunch of new starters to your defense, practice only allows them to learn their assignments. The fluidity it takes to work as units takes actual game time and game snaps.

I'm certainly not trying say we "can't beat the Chiefs". I just know that it would be a much better situation if we faced such a team later in the season once the defense has had time to gel.

Of course somehow that has been taken as "selling them short".
Posted By: dnadawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 07:58 PM
This game reminds me of that baseball saying that you can't make the playoffs in April and May, but you can miss them. I think the 1st quarter will go a long way in deciding whether it will be a competitive game or not. And yes, 1st quarter is always important, but there are many teams on our schedule that we could grind down and overcome poor starts.

There are 3 things that must be overcome specific to the beginning of this game.

• This will be the first time Chiefs have had a full stadium since their AFCC game in Jan 2020. Those fans are annoyed that the Browns and Bills are considered competition for their wunderteam. It will be loud and hostile, which Stefanski's Browns have never faced.
  • If you have listened to Mahomes talk about last season, he sounds like he has a bit of a chip following that SB. The best QB in the game today has talked about improving his game, and being better from game 1 onward. We are game 1.
  • We have not won an opener in 15 years, and have lost the last 2 by like 30 points each. A back and forth start and that won't matter. A poor start and it will enter players' minds. Obviously not a good thing, as that leads to lack of focus and poor execution

Now, if we come out of the 1st quarter in good shape, we still have to hope Stefanski is up to the level of Andy Reid with weeks of preparation, and that our players, including many new pieces, can execute. I think that all told, this is too tall of an order for this team in game 1. I hope to be very wrong, and by made fun of on Sunday night by all the optimistic posters here.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/05/21 10:21 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 12:01 AM

Damn this feels good.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 12:05 AM
My biggest worry is that the Browns come out fired up and playing on emotion, but aren't in the right mindset to maintain that top-level effort for 60+ minutes and turn flat when the initial rush of emotion wears off.
Posted By: BADdog Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 12:35 AM
T I think the 1st quarter will go a long way in deciding whether it will be a competitive game or not.

It will be competitive .... the first quarter will determine if the Browns will dominate
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 02:23 AM
These aren't the old Browns they are well coached and they still have the bitter taste of last seasons loss to KC in their mouths.

JJIII said as much. Go back and watch the KC game last year the team that started that game and the one that finished that game grew up A LOT .

Sure they lost the game if the team that showed up in the 2nd half of the KC game last season shows up on Sunday the Chiefs will be faced with as determined a group of players as maybe they see all season.

For us Chubb if you watch him in the game with KC was as emotional as I have ever seen him he wanted it bad and he brought it to KC before it was over, if only a few things and a bit better defense had been on our side last year we would have won that game. That isn't some homer belief go and watch the game.

I think the advantage goes to the Browns defensive Line in this game. I think it takes execution on offense to keep a QB clean. Defense is easier to bring together in shorter periods of time then are offenses defensive players regardless of scheme react to what the offense is trying to do.

The Browns are bringing a team to KC that is as well coached as any team in the NFL. Reid is the master of creating new wrinkles no question of that, how the Browns react to the wrinkles will be a big part of how they fair against the chiefs.

We aren't likely to win all of our games and facing the Chiefs to start the year is a tall order no question but if there is a team that is capable of going into KC and putting it on KC it's the Browns. I see and hear a lot of reasons why we shouldn't win or can't win, but the truth, the truth is we can go to KC and dominate them and we can go there and lay and egg and either way it is unlikely to determine the season for either team.

My plan is as I have said repeatedly is to enjoy the ride, Ski and company truly got this will be ready and at the very least will leave KC and KC will know that they were in a dawg fight. I choose to go all in, I have NEVER seen a Browns TEAM so loaded with top shelf talent nor can a remember a better coached Browns team.

Put some on ice, make the popcorn the ride is about to begin.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 02:54 AM
Shout out to all the old Dawgs on here getting ready for a new year filled with high hopes of getting to the Promise Land. Getting ready to start my 48th year of cheering for my Browns. I get just as excited every year but I think more so this year than another year except for the mid/late 80s.

We all have longed for the Browns to return to become a perennial playoff team. We have the talent and the coaching in place to make it happen. It's up to them to execute. Do or do not, there is no try. Let's do this!
Posted By: bugs Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 03:38 AM
A lot of good posts here.

I believe this game will be a good old fashion shoot-out. Both offenses won't need much to get things rolling.

The Browns offense established its identity, but what is our defense?

KC knows who they are. They are playing at home. Browns have the better talent, but do they know how to use it? Here lies the mystery of whether Browns win Sunday or not.

I am ecstatic we are actually having discussions about whether we can match up with a Super Bowl team. Right now, I simply want to see where this team stands against a proven team.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 09:21 AM
I'm just trying to be objective. It's not as if I don't understand the enthusiasm. I certainly do. I simply understand that when you add a bunch of new starters to your defense, practice only allows them to learn their assignments. The fluidity it takes to work as units takes actual game time and game snaps.

I'm certainly not trying say we "can't beat the Chiefs". I just know that it would be a much better situation if we faced such a team later in the season once the defense has had time to gel.

Of course somehow that has been taken as "selling them short".

I want you to know that I used to post just sorta like you. It's not that your posts are off, and I used to do posts like this to temper people's expectations. Reality meets dream posts.

This year I believe like never before I don't have to temper reason with expectations and dreams. What I believe or dream of happening is finally and thankfully within reach. So I have abandoned reason with my hopes and dreams. But I understand where exactly you are coming from and you aren't wrong BTW.

I in the past as I have said used to post like you so in the long haul people would hopefully be more reasonable in their expectations so at seasons end we didn't reboot. In other words there were coaching staffs that I thought were really really good but they lacked the horses to stand any chance at all. That is no longer so, Ski and company are as good as it gets and so is this roster.

It's all good with me Pitt everyone gets to pick how they structure their posts and as I said I don't think you're wrong.

I don't think you or I or anyone else will be shocked if the Browns lay it on KC and it won't be the end of the world for either team if they lose in a good loss or a beat down lose. I expect a hard fought game and if both teams play to ability all the better, in that case I think we can win and if we do win it might set the Browns on a run not all that unlike the Steelers had to start the season last year. I want and hope that is what happens and I am damned sure you do too.
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 11:17 AM

For me this year I am throwing all caution to the wind.

I don't care if I am dead wrong. Outside of 1987 I have sat on my hands. Began seasons with no hope. Like we didn't belong in the NFL. The low point was when we started Cody Kessler.

2019 was hype. It was a mirage. Hope over reason.

Nobody can predict a Super Bowl like it is in the bag and be realistic. The games are to close. There are so many good players in the NFL.

The best to honestly expect is picking four teams in each conference. After that go to superstition.

KC, Browns, Bills, Ravens. IMO those are the big four.

Opening on the road in Kansas City is a tough assignment.

I think the Browns are up to the challenge and will win this game.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 02:29 PM
The low point was Manziel laying on his back in the endzone.
Posted By: Swish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 03:04 PM
I want to see what this chiefs defense looks like.

I think our defense is gonna have a tough time seeing as we got all kinds of new starters. But do we have a better shot of slowing down their offense than they do us?
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 03:06 PM

so many low points.

But when you begin a season with Cody Kessler as your starter and then look at the team.

It was like "why bother."
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 04:38 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 04:57 PM

Kelce is the guy we have to limit.

He is the main guy for them. I know all about Hill and the rest.

But Kelce makes them go. Woods will scheme him.

I am really curious about his plan.
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 05:58 PM
Once again if you take a guy away it has to be Kelce IMO.

Of more interest to me is can the Browns scheme to take away Kelce and really do it?
Posted By: BADdog Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 06:12 PM
Make Kelce the first priority of JOK on every play.
That should do it.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 06:36 PM
Just as our defense will need time to gel, it is also the case for their Oline. And with the talent and speed of Myles and Clowney, things could get very equalized in a heartbeat. Tampa put tons of pressure on Mahommes and beat him. With the talent we have on the edge, and a proven guy like Jackson inside, I don't see their OLine dominating anybody. Defenses gel faster than Oline.

Don't know what will happen, but I don't see them dominating us. I got a feeling their defense is going to be the wildcard.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: BADdog
Make Kelce the first priority of JOK on every play.
That should do it.

I'm even more worried about Hill. Who is going to cover that speed demon?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 06:55 PM
I never even suggested they would dominate us. I actually believe we have a shot to win the game. I just feel if we understand they are weak at the OL, so do they. There are ways to compensate for that to some degree with a QB like Mahomes.
Posted By: jfanent Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 06:57 PM
...and a coach like Andy R.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 10:00 PM
Stopping Clyde, Edwards Helarie is going to be paramount.
Stopping the base #1 Running back is defense 101.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 10:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Swish
I want to see what this chiefs defense looks like.

I think our defense is gonna have a tough time seeing as we got all kinds of new starters. But do we have a better shot of slowing down their offense than they do us?
the way I see it with our new Defense is, wouldn't a learning on the fly Defense be light years ahead of last year's Defense?.... They sucked last year... We were pulling D.Backs off the streets.
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 10:38 PM
The thing that has me the most jacked up is our Coach of the Year is entering his SECOND year, with his offense intact, healthy, and upgraded (Felton).
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 11:00 PM
They’re the ultimate three man show. The other parts are fillers and window dressing .. I’m not sure anyone can stop them unless you just constantly get to the QB
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: On to Kansas City - 09/06/21 11:59 PM
I never even suggested they would dominate us. I actually believe we have a shot to win the game. I just feel if we understand they are weak at the OL, so do they. There are ways to compensate for that to some degree with a QB like Mahomes.

Wasn't saying you said anything. Was a general statement that came from reading many posts and articles. It had nothing to do with you actually
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: On to Kansas City - 09/07/21 12:01 AM
They’re the ultimate three man show. The other parts are fillers and window dressing .. I’m not sure anyone can stop them unless you just constantly get to the QB

I agree, and think we have the horses to do it, and I think our coverage of Kelce will be better
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/07/21 12:59 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: On to Kansas City - 09/07/21 02:09 AM
j/c...

Good opportunity for the DL...
Posted By: BADdog Re: On to Kansas City - 09/07/21 03:18 AM
If we were starting 3 rookies on the oline against anyone we would be very worried. Mahomes is going to have a rough. Garret, Clowney, Mcdowell are going to have fun.

Line them all up on the left side wink
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: On to Kansas City - 09/07/21 09:36 AM
I’ve gone into many games thinking “our DL should feast on their inexperienced/makeshift OL” over the years … and a lot of times it doesn’t come to fruition. I sit during the game and think “WHERE IS OUR PASS RUSH?!”

I’m hoping this won’t be the case Sunday
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: On to Kansas City - 09/07/21 12:48 PM
A big part of how teams climb up the food chain is time in the system and personnel.

That said the Browns have the Offense locked down they are loaded and they are growing as an offense as Baker's play improves and hopefully continues to do so.

That should mean the offense plays much better against the Chiefs IMO then they did last year. It's not just that but the offense moved the ball well against the Chiefs but made stupid mistakes and penalties early in the game that killed drives. Chubb had a few dropped balls as well something he really didn't do all that much last season but for some reason in this game he had trouble with his hands.

The Browns have made huge improvements on Defense they do however lack playing time together, but on the other hand the Chiefs have a re-tooled O Line. I think that it takes longer for an offense to come together and specifically and offensive line because that unit needs near flawless timing and execution to have success. Still the KC O line should be better in the long haul? I give the advantage here to the Browns they have made huge improvements to the defensive line with the addition of Clowney and the addition of McDowell who has all the earmarking's of a stud d linemen.

I see the Browns kicking Clowney inside and bookending him with Takk and McDowell and just to sweeten the pot a little the Browns I think will send JOK on a mission, hit PM. I admit I am salivating at the thought. This new O line is likely facing their toughest test of the season if they can manage the Browns D Line they may just be able to punch their ticket for the SB again.

The Chiefs defense has a advantage over ours they have been together for some time now and they are pretty average leaning towards poor IMO. They seem to do just enough but the Buc's challenged them in the SB and they fell apart. I know that Baker isn't TB but this Browns team has so many weapons it's going to be a real test for the Chiefs defense. The key is can the Browns avoid stupid penalties and simply execute their offense.

I feel confident that the Browns offense will be much better prepared then they were last year in the PO. With the addition of OBJ the Chiefs will be tested at every level this time around. I think our TE's will feast on the KC defense and if I am Ski I take Chubb to the side and remind him of the taste he had in his mouth after that game. Not sure you need to fire up Chubb but he was pissed and showed more emotion in that game then I ever remember him showing and in the second half his intensity level was thru the roof.

I really like the Browns in this game, but KC is very good on the offensive side of the ball the Browns are going to have to play their best ball and this defense may not be quite ready yet?

If I am Joe I keep the game plan pretty simple Double up on Kelso and get after PM on every single play pressure pressure pressure. PM is very pedestrian when pressured. Try with 4 if that don't work try with 5 and mix it up come after them with corners and safeties make his afternoon a nightmare. A few good clean hits would be nice as well.

I think we win going away will be to much for the Chief's new look O Line.
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/07/21 11:32 PM

LINE OF SCRIMMAGE.

Browns OL versus Chiefs DL.

In 2020 Chiefs defense ranked 16th. Their DL is the same.

The Browns return intake the entire OL with better backups. The number One ranked offensive line.

===========================================================

The Browns DL versus the Chiefs OL

Chiefs will start three new players on thier OL

The Browns DL will start three new players on their DL.
Clowney, Malik Jackson, and Billings.

Woods plan is rotate tackles Elloitt and McDowell and use Takk in rotation.
=========================================================

The Browns IMO will win the battle on the LOS.

When you win there. It sets up wins in other areas of the field. Quarterbacks perform worse when pressured.

Quarterbacks perform better when given time.

RB's have holes to gain yards.

And on and on and on.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/08/21 12:16 AM
The Chiefs will be starting 5 new offensive linemen, 3 of which are rookies.
Posted By: hitt Re: On to Kansas City - 09/08/21 12:45 AM
Every player in the NFL has supreme talent- the rookies are best players in college and are called rookies cuz they haven't played in NFL games....how'd "rookies" perform in preseason games- Andy Reid wouldn't put chumps out there....I HOPE Clooney's statement about guards aren't athletes doesn't bite him in the buttocks.
Our D line could dominate....time will tell. Go Browns!!!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/08/21 12:50 AM
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: On to Kansas City - 09/08/21 10:51 AM
Originally Posted By: hitt
Every player in the NFL has supreme talent- the rookies are best players in college and are called rookies cuz they haven't played in NFL games....how'd "rookies" perform in preseason games- Andy Reid wouldn't put chumps out there....I HOPE Clooney's statement about guards aren't athletes doesn't bite him in the buttocks.
Our D line could dominate....time will tell. Go Browns!!!

I understand the caution in your statement, however under the best of circumstances I believe the Browns D Line is legit and will maul KC's O line.

Still this is KC they aren't fools and will try their damnedest to negate the Browns D Line I just don't think it will be enough.
Posted By: bonefish Re: On to Kansas City - 09/08/21 12:30 PM

I should have put rookies which is the way I was looking at them.
Posted By: hitt Re: On to Kansas City - 09/09/21 01:43 PM
Hope you are right, Andy Reid will surely adjust if Mah is under constant attack. Then our linebackers will be key, can they stay with discipline and cover all the weird formations--did you check out T-Rex...four TEs and the guy catching the TD blocked for over half the play. I'm wondering if Browns do like Tampa Bay and play safeties WAY back. Sunday can't come soon enough, Go Browns!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: On to Kansas City - 09/09/21 02:16 PM
They wanna play press man? Fine … let’s take our WRs off the field

Hooper - Njoku - Wills - Bitonio - Tretter - Teller - Conklin - Bryant

Mayfield
Hunt Janovich

Chubb
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: On to Kansas City - 09/09/21 03:10 PM
They wanna play press man? Fine … let’s take our WRs off the field

Hooper - Njoku - Wills - Bitonio - Tretter - Teller - Conklin - Bryant

Mayfield
Hunt Janovich

Chubb

Yep, 12 on offense outta get 'er done. wink rofl
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: On to Kansas City - 09/09/21 03:35 PM
Sorry I forgot to delete Janovich when I added hunt smile
Posted By: dnadawg Re: On to Kansas City - 09/09/21 06:28 PM
I get the point, and agreed. Earlier I said I'd love to see us mix it up with some 22 and 23 sets.
© DawgTalkers.net