DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:17 AM
Johnson was incredible … as was our OL

Keenum was good enough (and a HUGE 4th down run)

Defense was still bad in big spots, but first half was good

We desperately need Landry in this offense

We desperately need rest
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:18 AM
Gameball to Johnson and the O-line. Pink slip to Joe Woods
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:19 AM
I usually hate a Sunday without the Browns .... but man, we desperately need 10 days off.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:19 AM
I don’t care what people think about our defense. They gave up 14 points the whole game. That’s it.

This was a dig deep game. The entire team rose up and pulled out a victory. Injuries everywhere, backups to the backups. It didn’t matter.

What a way to go into a mini-bye!!! We win that’s all that matters!!!!
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:20 AM
Our D played better than our fans did rooting for us ..

We gave up 14 points and some are still not satisfied … dolts!
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:21 AM
Johnson rose up and shined just like the Dallas game last year!! Dude is amazing!!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:21 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Johnson was incredible … as was our OL

Keenum was good enough (and a HUGE 4th down run)

Defense was still bad in big spots, but first half was good

We desperately need Landry in this offense

We desperately need rest

Got nothing to add... hit the nail on the head!!

Johnson and OL were amazing!

That fourth down by Keenum was huge... overall he was ok...

Landry needs to be healthy... he's such a catalyst for this offense.

Wills showed up huge today

Defense was pretty good... need to get better pressure on QB and do better at containment

Overall great team win
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:21 AM
Johnson and the oline . Crazy good. Defense still horrible. Keenum did what he was brought here to do.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by DiamDawg
Our D played better than our fans did rooting for us ..

We gave up 14 points and some are still not satisfied … dolts!

Complaining about giving up 223 yards to boot...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:24 AM
DeEarnest Johnson

OL

Garrett was held all night long

Defense was great

Refs one sided again 10 Browns Penalties 2 against Denver

WE WIN 4-3
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:25 AM
One word - D'Ernest
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:25 AM
Good win! Its a welcome mini bye. Lets heal and get ready for Pitt.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:25 AM
Are you kidding me with that final penalty for illegal motion on 3rd and 2 to finalize the game?

If Anyone needed any more proof that the league doesn't want the Browns to win, or give them a level playing field. There it is.

All the kings horsemen, and all the kings men, (referees) couldn't stop the Browns from winning again.
Posted By: LexDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:26 AM
It wasn't long ago we were out of this game. Our backup QB stepped up, we had a backup RB stepping up. We have arrived.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:26 AM
I am so sick of seeing Myles get held and oh by the way Mr Offical, he also had his facemask grabbed on that missed hold call the play before they scored their second TD. Von Miller was unable to commit homicide on our OL tonight.
Posted By: DogNDC Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:29 AM
I tell you.. that was some hand in the dirt.. we running down your THROAT!! at the end!!.. great job Oline and D'Ernest!!!.. Stefankski and Woods have to look within themselves because that win will not work with the games ahead!!!
Posted By: Woofurious Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:29 AM
Johnson and the O-line was great. D is bad. Period. The only thing worse is a dude crying about people crying about how bad the D IS! Dolt!
Go Browns! That is all. ;P
Posted By: DogNDC Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
I am so sick of seeing Myles get held and oh by the way Mr Offical, he also had his facemask grabbed on that missed hold call the play before they scored their second TD. Von Miller was unable to commit homicide on our OL tonight.

BTW... #62 did a great job tonight!!
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:30 AM
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Are you kidding me with that final penalty for illegal motion on 3rd and 2 to finalize the game?

If Anyone needed any more proof that the league doesn't want the Browns to win, or give them a level playing field. There it is.

All the kings horsemen, and all the kings men, (referees) couldn't stop the Browns from winning again.

Completely agree. BY rule it was a penalty, but I see that 5-6 times every game I watch and never gets called.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:34 AM
No one in the NFL is going to stop De'Chunt
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:34 AM
Great win over a team we hardly ever beat. I would have hated to lose this game and have to wait another 10 days to play again. We need those 10 days to heal and rest. I can't believe how much Myles gets held and it's never called. Complaints should be made to the league office. Again. GREAT WIN !!!!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:35 AM
Nice win.

Good thing Case Keenum is not our starting QB.
Thanks to a good offensive line w/depth that can make Johnson look like a stud on national TV!

smile
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:35 AM
That really hurts coming from u … rolleyes

Stupid is as Stupid does …

We gave up 14 points and 223 yards and you and the rest of the whiners are acting like we gave up 30 points and 500+ yards …

And calling me a dolt is real original … good job … thumbsup
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:36 AM
Another good note, was Jarvis came back in the game to seal that final run to seal the game!
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:39 AM
Props to the coaches. Getting the team together with all the injures on a short week the way they did was impressive.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:42 AM
Good thing in the next 10 days...We should have Chubb, Jarvis, Conklin, OBJ, and AJ Green back at full health next game...

Trotter, Clowney, and Wills will appreciate the added rest...

I'm not sure if Baker or Denzel Ward will be back by then...but the time off is greatly needed.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:43 AM
Loved seeing the Browns wear the bad guys down with the ground game in the 4th.
D'Earnest beasted like 24 and 27 were his backups.
Loved how 30 slid to ice the game instead of running it in, as I would have (with my total lack of discipline). Reminded me of Nick's choice last year.

13 had some looks tonight. Made some important catches at the right moments.

CLE really needed this one. >.500 with 10 days rest is huge... and we still get a bye just before the final push.
Banged-up, running on backups, they managed to win a game that CLE was supposed to win. The Browns won this with a ton of starters out. That gives me optimism. Think of all the years that other teams routinely did this to us, and you can see how far we've come.

I'm glad the Browns are off this Sunday. I need the rest, too. This season has been exhausting already.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:44 AM
Hope they get a few days off.

Case was just asked if he was going to be ready if he gets the call next week. His answer "You don't have to get ready, if you stay ready".

Classic!
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:55 AM
Gotta echo Diam on this. This was a good win. The defense didn’t stink, nor look horrible, nor anything else.

All of you who say otherwise do understand that the Broncos are a pro team as well, yes? With drafts and free agency just like the Browns, yes? And they had the same record as us? And the D only gave up 223 yard in offense?

For the love of all that is unholy, stop bitching about a win!

You do remember 1-31?? How about 4-44? How about being the laughingstock of the league year in and year out? I hope I just ripped an old wound right open for you, so you can sit back and really look at what you are griping about.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:55 AM
Originally Posted by DiamDawg
That really hurts coming from u … rolleyes

Stupid is as Stupid does …

We gave up 14 points and 223 yards and you and the rest of the whiners are acting like we gave up 30 points and 500+ yards …

And calling me a dolt is real original … good job … thumbsup
we only have up 14 because it was the Broncos
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:56 AM
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Props to the coaches. Getting the team together with all the injures on a short week the way they did was impressive.

This.

D'Ernest was great.

Don't pay Ward.

Pay Teller.

Defense was mediocre. Couldn't get off the field on 3rd down against Teddy two gloves, pat Shurmer, and Vic Fangio. That simply won't get it done against nearly any other team.

Having said that, is Myles getting the Shaq treatment? Guy gets held 70% of plays every game and gets no calls. Unbelievable.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:57 AM
He made himself a TON of money tonight.
Johnson is a RFA after this season. Someone is gonna roll those dice and give him more than we'll pay to keep him as our 3rd stringer.... and we're gonna get compensated, because I'd be SHOCKED if he doesn't get tendered.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:57 AM
Great game by D’Ernest and The O-Line.

I was prepared for a difficult evening, but the Browns were the Better team.

Still a bit disappointed by the 4 man rush, but that may have been the plan.

Neither QB was able to push the ball downfield. I don’t know if it was the wind or the QB.

As they say satisfying.

D’Ernest was the difference, and that was unexpected, but not totally.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by cfrs15

This.

D'Ernest was great.

Don't pay Ward.

Pay Teller.

Defense was mediocre. Couldn't get off the field on 3rd down against Teddy two gloves, pat Shurmer, and Vic Fangio. That simply won't get it done against nearly any other team.

Having said that, is Myles getting the Shaq treatment? Guy gets held 70% of plays every game and gets no calls. Unbelievable.
I agree. I'd bench Ward when healthy. You see greedy push the receiver out of the end zone. Ward would have given up the TD
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 03:58 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Congrats.
Best portmanteau ever.

He really was the perfect blend of 24 and 27: shifty, powerful, speed, drive...
And, he now becomes part of CLE's "Three-headed Monster."

130 ground yards/>6 ypc against any NFL team is worthy of attention.
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:03 AM
The only thing better than D'Ernest Johnson's performance during the game tonight were his post-game interviews with Erin Andrews on FOX and just now in the media room where he freaked out that LeBron actually shouted him out on Twitter as "Oh my God. LeBron? Really? That's big time!"

Can't help but root for that kid.

Edit to add: Not taking away anything from our RB's but any time you can have three guys all look like All-Pro's you've got to start giving some praise to the OLine and blocking from our TE/WR. We are lucky to have that line and they make our already good RB's look that much better.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:05 AM
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

Congrats.
Best portmanteau ever.

Three-Headed Dawg

CERBERUS
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:09 AM
Also glad we've got 10 days off because DPJ, OBJ and Landry all got injured/banged up tonight. If that game lasted 5 more minutes our WR "core" was Higgins, Schwartz and Felton. Oof.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:11 AM
Loved Johnson running the ball

Keenum making enough plays to win

OL blocking great

On Denvers 2nd and goal before there 2nd td, watch MG completely get hooked/held around his neck, nothing called, complete bs!!!
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:20 AM
Edit to add: Not taking away anything from our RB's but any time you can have three guys all look like All-Pro's you've got to start giving some praise to the OLine and blocking from our TE/WR.

Truer words were never spoken.
Berry, Callahan and OL personnel are the straw that stirs CLE's O drink.

Without our blocking scheme(s), 24 and 27 do not own the NFL's first 5 games (at >5 ypc).

With our scheme, 30 waltzes in as a backup.... and nets 6+ ypc.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:25 AM

Congrats.
Best portmanteau ever.

Thank smile

Whomever was picking our Rb's/OL and coaches should get a raise.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:42 AM
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 05:28 AM
I’ll read everyone else’s posts later.

1. I had a feeling d’Ernest would have a big game. Told a buddy today he’d get a buck twenty, I was wrong. 146. He was tremendous tonight, as was our OL, which is nothing new.

2.Keenum was very efficient. I feel confident with him in there. I don’t feel confident in OBJ. He’s not earning his money.

3. The Broncos aren’t a good team right now, but a win is precious in the NFL. Climbed over .500 which is better than the alternative.

4. Chase the Kicker was steady again, our ST played solid tonight. We are a pretty good tackling team, overall.

5. Happy with the win. We have time to rest and heal. Hope Ward and Jarvis are okay. We’ve been hit hard by injury but we are a scrappy bunch.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 05:29 AM

This needs to be addressed.
I won't even presume to know if these numbers are even close to accurate, but I will say this:

Myles Garret is being robbed of the numbers he's earning in every game he's playing.
And it's happening in every single game the Cleveland Browns are currently playing.

I love that you posted this count.

I propose this:

Every single member of Dawg Nation should carefully examine every Cleveland Browns game, and publicly post a running tally of plays in which Myles Garrett is held/illegally restricted on any play from scrimmage when ample visual evidence exists. With nothing more than game footage, CLE fans should be able to flood social media to the extent that the NFL cannot escape what they have been doing to us.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 05:44 AM

This is why we are a team.

Bake, Landry, and Garrett are built different
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 05:46 AM

This needs to be addressed.
I won't even presume to know if these numbers are even close to accurate, but I will say this:

Myles Garret is being robbed of the numbers he's earning in every game he's playing.
And it's happening in every single game the Cleveland Browns are currently playing.

I love that you posted this count.

I propose this:

Every single member of Dawg Nation should carefully examine every Cleveland Browns game, and publicly post a running tally of plays in which Myles Garrett is held/illegally restricted on any play from scrimmage when ample visual evidence exists. With nothing more than game footage, CLE fans should be able to flood social media to the extent that the NFL cannot escape what they have been doing to us.

The media is after the nfl now

Myles Garrett is trending on Twitter with tons of videos and people mad at the nfl and officials

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 09:31 AM
A few other notes after sleeping on the win:

- The lack of penalties called against Garrett is becoming an issue. He impacts the game and should be rewarded.

- Schwartz needs A LOT of work. You can easily see why he was a late round pick.

- We missed DPJ, just to make 2-3 contested catches

- Part of me is thankful that Mcglaughlin missed a kick finally … you don’t want that perfect ratio to last too long IMO

- That first drive was simply all coaching. It was probably the biggest difference in the game to play with a lead and jump out like that … props to them for preparing and taking the ball (I hate when they do it too haha)

- Wilson certainly played better. Good for him.

- Hance at RT and Wills at LT is a hell of a lot better than having Hudson out there.

- Ward is an enigma wrapped in a riddle. He’ll be gone in a few months IMO.

- Hooper/Njoku played a solid game IMO. With Keenum you aren’t gonna make splash plays, but they made a difference (even though Hooper is SO SLOW)
Posted By: Brown to the Bone Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 10:31 AM
I thought the Browns were solid across the board, and that was enough to get us thru this game.

I think Keenum was solid but not spectacular which was all we needed last night.

Johnson is a solid RB who would in a rotation add another element to the Brown's running attack. We are going to need to get him some touches he earned them with his performance last night. He may have saved our season.

The offensive line was outstanding and they really helped Johnson gain confidence early in the game, I thought that was a key for him from there he truly took over.

The defense was solid and the backend held up very well.

I think it's time to start thinking about moving on from Joe Woods he is holding this group back at this point.

With three really solid cornerbacks who can lock down WR's, there is no excuse for the lack of creative blitzing. Joe hates blitzing and I hate Joe because he hates blitzing. Did we blitz once last night I counted one blitz. You couldn't not notice that our corners were locked in on Denver's WR's. Joe would rather have guys standing around with their thumb up their behind then send one of them on a blitz. Not acceptable this defense is capable of dominating with just one more pass rusher who comes from anywhere and everywhere. Hell he didn't even threaten a blitz. I fail to understand what he is hoping to accomplish but I have seen enough. I HATE firings but Joe has to go IMO. I confess I like aggressive defenses and Joe is as anti aggressive as any DC I have ever seen.

I would also like to see more hats on plays. The reason we aren't doing as well against the run I believe is a lack of effort.

It was nice to see the Browns use a TO when there was confusion on defense. I am not sure why there would be any confusion on defense after all we run the same straight up defense play after play. Joe is against creative defenses. Just line up and play sound defense which is great but it's not always going to work. I thought Johnson #3 had his best game as a Brown, that was nice to see he shot the gap on an early run and landed the RB on his backside and later he had the interception in the end zone, big plays that we needed.

The Browns did a okay job on third downs and that was nice to see. Again I think if Woods would dial up some blitz's this defense would go to another level.

Have I complained enough about Woods yet. I think we are all frustrated with his lack of aggressiveness. The one and only thing he has going for him is when he does dial it up (never) it works cause whomever we play expect we won't blitz and that allows the offenses we play against to focus on blocking up our front four.

The ref's were awful again and as has been pointed out the holding that goes on with Garret and Clowney, is NEVER called. The holding penalty of Tretter was another example of bad ref calls. All of a sudden the Browns who have been really well coached in my mind to get aligned correctly and execute can't not get holding and motion penalties are unable to execute. Of course some of the penalties were legit half were not. Sick of watching this crap show the refs are working on us.

I thought and still do think that the Browns were going to get a lot of attention from the teams we play. We are still easily the most talented team in the NFL and as such they have a target on their backs and I don't think they were truly prepared for what teams were going to throw at them I think they better understand what they are up against now and they are beginning to push thru, or at least I hope so?
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 10:50 AM
Myles Garrett is trending on Twitter with tons of videos and people mad at the nfl and officials

You even see the lineman look at the ref right at the end, HE knew he was holding.

D'Ernest was awesome, he does nothing but produce when called upon.

Great to have most of the Oline back

OBJ still worries me, hopefully those couple catches gets him going again. He seemed pumped once he got them.

Garrett, he's going to expose the the NFL ref corruption single handedly.

Keenum, played a good great, looked in command at the beginning, then cooled down a little. But the run game was killing them.

Much happier at 4-3, than 3-4.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 11:09 AM
My thoughts:

- A win is a win. We needed one badly, and delivered. Against an AFC team is a bonus. And thanks to the 80s, I really hate Denver.
- It seems Stefanski didn't try to get cute too often this game. We still went for it on a 4th instead of the short FG. Not only was it not a sack, but we converted.
- Case sure does throw some flutter balls.
- OBJ was a complete non-factor in the first half. Contributed some in the 2nd.
- Hope Landry is OK.
- Props to the OL.
- It is often comical to watch Bryant try to block, but I hope he never has to try to block Von Miller again. He was practically an accessory to murder.
- Johnson was incredible. Stepped right into Chubb/Hunt role.
- Stump Mitchell had a great quote. Asked about not having Chubb or Hunt for the game, he said something along the lines of "well, I guess I will have to coach this week." Imagine being an RB coach and having Chubb, Hunt, and our OL. It must be like playing a game of checkers but you have some chess pieces.
- Saw a lot of procedure calls. The last one added some drama but we overcame it. That is progress - we are able to overcome some of our mistakes. Not that long ago we could not.
- Speaking of that, how demoralizing was that last run? What a kick in the nads to the defense. 3rd and 7, in the red zone, need a first to seal the game. Didn't even try to hide what we were going to do and we converted it anyway. It was beautiful.
- Garrett continues to get mugged, with no flags.
- When two guys are face-masking each other at the same time, how does the ref see one and not the other?
- D played well. Not sure why the Jekyll and Hyde with them. Is it changes in the D game plan? Or is it the quality of the offensive game plan we are going up against?
- Greedy bounced back and played well. Been doing well this year, but last week against AZ was giving a lot of cushion. AZ got an east first down every time they went after him. But nice work against DEN.
- Newsome got abused and turned around. Made a key play in the 2nd half, but had a rough game.
- Nice pick by Johnson.
- Not a lot of sacks, but the pressure was there and had an effect.
- Let's heal up over this extended break.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 11:19 AM
Gutsy Win! Proud of the team. Now rest up and heal up the next 10 days.
Posted By: Swish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 11:26 AM
Ahhh, what a great morning.

Now that We’re all calm, let’s get to it:

As I said in game day chat, I was wrong with regards to baker-OBJ. OBJ is either injured or unreliable. I give him credit because two catches he made on one drive let to a TD, but if we can only rely on our #1 receiver for one drive in a game, then he needs to go. Berry needs to trade him to an NFC team for whatever he can get and be done with the experiment.

People need to chill on the criticism of our defense. We have up 14 points and less than 230 total yards. The Broncos had a whopping 2.9 yards per rush. And if the refs gave our D line any sort of attention, there either would’ve been a ton of holding calls on the Broncos, or teddy and drew lock would’ve been laying on the ground looking at the pearly gates.

Our offense might as well been a hospital unit at the cleveland clinic, and yet we still ran the ball down their throats. D’Ernest Johnson, what a guy. What an easy dude to root for. Our O line, still banged up, showed up and showed out.

Keenum did his job, and Stefanski is getting well deserved credit for how he called this game. The Broncos had a few very long drives, but that ultimately did them in because we answered with our own very long drives. None more important that the last drive that killed the clock.

This was a total team win when everything was lined up for the Broncos to come out and embarrass us. A win going into a mini bye is gonna give our team a huge confidence booster. And this will allow even more of our starters to potentially come back for the upcoming Steelers game.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 11:30 AM
Demetric Felton: Kick and punt returns...

The NEXT TIME, Demetric Felton SPINS, ----> on a kick or punt return, I'd fine him 1 million dollars!
(of course you cant.)
In The NFL, on a Return, ------ a player faces 11 defenders heading towards him, who know what area of the field the ball is on.
When you spin---->
A returner turns their back, to those 11 defenders, even for a fraction of a second.
( a game of inches.)

Plus! This has become a PATTERN, observable and repeatable, for all to see, on game film, including division opponents. <--- IN a Situation like that, in the NFL, a division opponent is going to take advantage of it.

What will probably happen.
Felton! Is going to spin, and as he spins, he's going to find a speared helmet, hit him right on that ball carrying arm,
Feton is probably going to end up, with a broken elbow, or broken arm!
The Ball, is probably going to pop up, 11-13 yards the wrong way, as a loose ball, sitting right there on about the 5-6 yard line!

In this play situation, all of the Browns players are blocking: UpField! and all of the Kick teams players are pursuing Downfield!
And the return man,
Has turned his back:--- to the defense.

Therefore, the LIKELIEST OUTCOME, woud be a Crowd! of Kick Team players, swarming around the now loose ball sitting on the 5 yard line, waiting for the SCOOP and SCORE! And the danger of an injury to your returner.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 11:39 AM
I remember that play.

I was thinking I am so sick of seeing this guy being held.

Can not be more blatant.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 12:11 PM
Greedy has been playing very well. He’s been a good surprise.

We need Delpit and Harrison to be more consistent tacklers
Posted By: Bird Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 12:17 PM
The refs are against us! The refs and the NFL are against the Browns!

No.

The NFL refs as a group ARE INCOMPETENT. On top of that the game moves so fast that they probably need to double the number of refs to catch half the calls they miss.
Posted By: Moxdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I’ll read everyone else’s posts later.

1. I had a feeling d’Ernest would have a big game. Told a buddy today he’d get a buck twenty, I was wrong. 146. He was tremendous tonight, as was our OL, which is nothing new.

2.Keenum was very efficient. I feel confident with him in there. I don’t feel confident in OBJ. He’s not earning his money.

3. The Broncos aren’t a good team right now, but a win is precious in the NFL. Climbed over .500 which is better than the alternative.

4. Chase the Kicker was steady again, our ST played solid tonight. We are a pretty good tackling team, overall.

5. Happy with the win. We have time to rest and heal. Hope Ward and Jarvis are okay. We’ve been hit hard by injury but we are a scrappy bunch.
here Jarvis is fine... I actually could care less if Ward ever plays again for us. He isn't worth the money
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 01:06 PM
Last night it was apparent how important two pieces are to our team:

Landry and Wills. We need both of them for this offense.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 01:07 PM
j/c:

Hot damn! We really needed that win and got it, thank God.

P.S. Just about everything else that needed to be said has been said, so I'll leave it at that.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 01:26 PM
Good coverage by our guys tonight, especially on screens and short routes for the most part. Good job on both sides of the run game. Very happy with a win.

Now, onto my gripe. We would have gotten pressure with our front four if the refs had called a FREAKING HOLD so the OL knew they couldn't get away with doing their impressions of a backpack! Good grief, I thought that Myles should have just worn a ball gag instead of a mouth guard with how he was being treated out there. Andrew Siciliano summed it up best. I really, really hate the refs this year.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 01:34 PM
j/c:

Blake Hance > Chris Hubbard.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by Swish
People need to chill on the criticism of our defense. We have up 14 points and less than 230 total yards. The Broncos had a whopping 2.9 yards per rush. And if the refs gave our D line any sort of attention, there either would’ve been a ton of holding calls on the Broncos, or teddy and drew lock would’ve been laying on the ground looking at the pearly gates.

Our offense might as well been a hospital unit at the cleveland clinic, and yet we still ran the ball down their throats. D’Ernest Johnson, what a guy. What an easy dude to root for. Our O line, still banged up, showed up and showed out.

Quoting this because I wanted to hit on a couple of things after reading a number of posts, and you brought both to the forefront:

1. People that are bagging on Woods so harshly - STOP, and think what this D would look like if Myles was actually allowed to do his job. If the opposing offenses actually, at the least, got called for Holding when it happens... how would those offenses look? If they actually stopped Holding so they don't get called, how many Sacks would Myles have per game?? My oldest brother loves to hear himself rant about how he isn't impressed with the Garrett-Clowney experiment (which is insane by itself), but refuses or is unable to look at WHY his simplistic measuring stick of Sacks isn't rolling up like a pinball score. Teams just do NOT run on us, they generally do not get outside on us, and we are hitting their QB constantly when the back end covers. If Myles could go a game where the Refs actually call an honest game, he'd have half a dozen every week.

2. The offense. We were WAY better and more efficient than I expected - AND, Stefanski salted the game away by running it down their throats! We didn't get cute; we didn't try 70 yd bombs on 3rd & 4 when we just need to keep the clock running. WE RAN IT DOWN THEIR THROATS!! Kudos to Ski on that!

Denver is statistically a top defense, but in reality, they are a pretty bad defense. Them losing Von Miller definitely helped us, but even with him we were gashing them. At the end, it was a thing of BEAUTY watching Ski just keep calling the same run to the right over and over and over that they just couldn't stop, and then throwing the haymaker to the left to ice it. Whomever is on their defensive left has to feel like Hell this morning; the way we just kept hitting them in the same spot, it was like a prison shanking.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 01:36 PM
p.s. I'm eating Crow. Granted, getting Landry and Wills changed my outlook before the game, but still.. I had thrown in the towel on this week, this season, and this team. I expected a demoralizing loss that begins the end of our season, and then it gets ended before Halloween by Pittsburgh. For these men to come out and step up the way they did and take it to Denver like that was BEAUTIFUL and I am more than HAPPY to eat the crow. It tastes wonderful laugh
Posted By: bonefish Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 01:47 PM
A come together team win.

Major credit to Kevin Stefanski. He had a great plan and called a terrific game.

The defense played team defense. Good to see.

I miss seeing JOK. He is so easy to spot when playing because he flashes to the ball.
And he covers sideline to sideline.

Myles looked like a kids teddy bear being held all game.

d'Earnest!! A different back. The styles of Chubb, Hunt and d'Earnest are so different.

Little d plays with a smell for open lanes. He finds little seems. He is quick and uses his vision and cutting ability.

He could start for many teams. He catches the ball. He blocks. He plays special teams.

A perfect example of a depth player getting chance and shinning. Same goes for Case.
A veteran guy who knows the scheme very well. Knows where to look.

Funny that Baker is called unathletic. Baker is way faster and quicker than Case. Baker has a much bigger arm.

Case is an experienced guy who gets paid big bucks to do just what he did. Step in and get a win.

KS really proved himself as a head coach in this game.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 01:50 PM
Agreed bone. Credit to the staff because we outcoached them last night too, that was pretty evident IMO
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 02:04 PM
The D
Look... they let up only 14 points vs an NFL team. They had a good game... period. Doesn't mean we can't nitpick, though.

Early in the game, our secondary looked REALLY good when they came downhill to make tackles. Later on, they looked awful trying to cover guys. Nobody is going to convince me we DON'T have the horses in the backfield to cover. Ward has excellent game tape on him. Greedy may be inconsistent but he's also shown he can ball a little. Newsome is a rookie but is having a phenomenal rookie campaign for a corner. We do we look like a bunch of Sendejo's out there trying to run with receivers? And damn... it's 3rd and 10 and you're giving 9 yards of cushion? That was painful to watch. Why are we still playing like we have no talent in our secondary?

Wu is a force and we are missing him when he's not out there.

I think the far and away big takeaway we should have regarding the D is no busted coverages. This is huge.

The O
Big boys got some of their mojo back. Wills looked like a statue out there with his gimpy ankle but got the job done. He looked REAL stiff at the end there (couldn't get down in his stance), but I didn't see any of the post-play gimp hops like in other games this year. I'd call that a big + heading into the long break. We NEED at least 1 of our starting tackles out there. Having deep-depth guys at both ends is just too much to overcome.
I'm not saying cut him or anything, but the probability of us keeping OBJ is dropping by the day. Dude had a couple more drops this past game, and now he's got the shoulder again. Why are we still trying to feed him the ball when DPJ is there hungry AND making plays. Whether it's for health reasons or to give him a heavy dose of reality, he needs to see his snap count drop significantly.
The dropoff in arm talent between Baker and Keenum was really evident last night. Those first couple long passes, my eyes shot forward and had to track back to find the ball in flight on the TV. His head might've been swimming, but I think he could stand to make some better decisions. There were some big misses (in terms of his eyes), and he got lucky he wasn't picked once or twice. That'll result in some big minus plays against a D that isn't so beaten down like Denver (speaking of which, holy cow have they been smacked upside the head with injuries... they are giving us some competition).
I'm a big fan of the extra dimension Schwartz can bring to the O, but I think the guy's head is swimming right now. He needs to see his targets go down and maybe focus on his return duties as his contribution to the team. I'm not a fan of chucking it downfield and having him try to go up and get it. He needs his game-brain to settle a little bit, IMO, as it's negatively affecting his big attribute (his speed). That reverse where he was tackled in the open field by a LB'er was a really bad look for him.
Obviously it was nothing less than a heroic effort by d'Earnest. Dude answered the call in a big big way, and you can't ask for anything more than that. Obviously the big boys cleared the way, but how many times was he stuffed by the D just to dip or loop or whatever and pick up 4-5 yards? Those final two carries for him really summed up his performance. Got the first down, got it taken away, got it right back again... no problem. Stepped up and handled it.
Having Landry back was huge. That guy is the soul of our O.
I like Felton, but he dances too much for me on returns. I think he can also play a big role for us on O once he settles in a little more.

Our special teams are rock solid.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 02:17 PM
Just a thought ...no one can complain about the refs and the D. Its one or the other. But of course they will wink
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by BADdog
Just a thought ...no one can complain about the refs and the D. Its one or the other. But of course they will wink
We can and we WILL!

lol... D played/responded really well. Still things to improve.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:10 PM
Good:

D'Ernest
O-Line - thank god Hudson not out there and Wills back - huge difference - Hance played very well at RT
Special Teams
Keenum -> real, but not spectacular
Ski - play calling
Juice
Orange Pants - should always wear them. It is the key to our success.

Bad:

Schwartz - can't believe this guy ran 4.2x or 4.3x. Football speed is nowhere near that.
Illegal procedure penalties - how many times this season where they do not lineup correctly - fix it.
3rd and 4th Down defense. Never confident they will stop them. Too much cushion and lack of aggressiveness.

Ugly:

Zebras - Ridiculous lack of holding calls on Broncos. Missed double face mask. Ball spotting.
Posted By: Jester Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:31 PM
Anybody have a way to find out how many times this season the lineman blocking Myles Garret has been called for holding him this season?

I can't remember a single time. i know that can't be right.
Might be interesting to also see how many times the guy blocking Bosa, or the Watt brothers were flagged.
To be comparable, it should probably be # of flags per rush attempt

I have no idea where to look for that.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:32 PM
j/c...

Wife and I stayed in downtown last night. Downtown was packed last night. Good times.

- Great game. Crowd was loud. Great atmosphere.

- Jarvis Landy is so important to this team and offense. Hope his knee is ok and the ten days off gives him time to heal up.

- I'm in the OBJ brings little value to the team and won't miss him when he's gone camp. However, hat tip to him for playing with a grade 3 sprain in his AC joint and pumping the shoulder full of cortisone to be out there with his teammates even with his couple drops.

- The Browns should immediately cut Billings for allowing the blocked FG and ruining future Hall of Famer, Chase McLaughlin's, perfect season. Hell of a 52 yard boot into the GPODAWUND end zone with swirling winds.

- Case Keenum was efficient and did what he should do for a back-uo making $7M. His run for a first down was huge.

- Great game by D'Ernest Johnson. Happy for that guy. From fishing for mahi-mahi to 146 yards and a TD.

- Great to see Wills back out there. It made a noticeable difference.

- Glad the defense showed up. Good game by John Johnson. Finally a turnover.

- Great job by Stefanski and the coaching staff on a short week with a banged up team.

- Go Browns!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 04:41 PM
Love this....

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 05:31 PM
It's been called but literally dozens and dozens have been uncalled. It's ridiculous. No idea how you address that without pissing off the refs - but it simply has to change. If that's JJ Watt, TJ Watt or Mack or some other big name or a team in a big market - they get significantly more calls. Period.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Don't pay Ward.

I said the same thing to the guy that sits behind me every game. Let him play out the 5th year option next year, but do not extend him this offseason unless it's a wildly team friendly deal.
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 05:43 PM
A win is a Win ! .. Super congrats to D'Ernest and the OL. .. VG. is so important to this team .. Case earned his pay check .. Nice job of play calling and having his Team ready ( Ski ) .. Drives me nuts ; the non holding calls on Miles .. But we just got by a toothless Tiger in the Bronco's .. Still not buying into the Woods " D " ..
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 06:21 PM
Jc...

-JJ3 played his best game, made plays in the box, and made plays as a centerfielder

-Mack Wilson flashed often in the 1st half on both defense and special teams

-Takk dropped into coverage and actually did a superb job tracing their WR Tim Patrick

-Greedy flashed some in coverage

-Denzel seemed to be playing better, but unfortunately got hurt, again.

-Ronnie Harrison lacks instincts, he dropped into his zone looked at the open WR who was in front of him...instead of coming up, he kept backing further into a deeper zone...WR made a big first down, as I had no idea what Harrison was thinking.

-Obviously we all saw Myles being held

-Jarvis although only having like 37 yards, made an impact in his return...tough as nails too, came back even after being injured to provide his blocking skills on that last run by our RB Johnson

-Johnson ran tough, breaking tackles and he has those jitterbug feet too...

-OBJ had a lot of issue(s) last night...but kudos to him for at least gutting it out.

-Oline played much better...Case's big weakness at times is his pocket awareness

-Blake Hance has really stepped up for us at both LT and now RT

-The wind, picked up at times

-The win, picked us up for the time.
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 06:33 PM
Side thought - is there any way we can structure an extension to Ward that is more of a "pay per game" construct?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 06:45 PM
Last night! The Browns threw a pass to Beckham and he fell down and it hit him in the side. (No problem.)

Now, the Problem, should be. The Browns, had a 3rd and long, and 4+ minutes to think about the play, real time, as there was a commercial break in the broadcast and a long time in returning to the game.

The problem should be, why the Browns, with so much time on offense, to think of anything to do in an important part of the game, on an important down, came up with such a low percentage and dangerous to go bad play, call or decision.

Beckham, ended up, still 4 yards, (about) behind the first down marker,
and He was alone, on the left, with no other Browns around him, and it was pretty much a quick curl, or out, or whatever you call it, he made a move, went straight up then curved around.

Now! I wonder, why, the team, with so much time, to figure anything, 4 minutes is a long time to consider a 3rd down play, didn't have something more collaborative or something. ( I was thinking middle screen.) Oh Well,
The game ended in a W! and that's why they get the big bucks.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 07:57 PM
j/c...

Even happier for D'Ernest Johnson after reading this. Hope he makes millions in the NFL.

Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 10:03 PM
Good win at an important time. Case did what he needed and made no mistakes. He also showed some grit. D'Earnest is a starter on many teams. I am so happy for him, he has paid his dues. Jarvis sparked the offense on the first drive. His enthusiasm is contagious. Wills played very well, and hats off to Hance who was tasked with Miller, who by the way did nothing all night. Great blocking from the TEs too. Team win, lead by Johnson.
Also Hooper made some very nice plays.

Just a side note, OBJ is done. I have given him the benefit of the doubt, but I have seen nothing from him since he came to this team, other than a play here and there. He started the game with a penalty, a drop, then fell in his route, and the ball hit him in the side. Then the play where he got hurt . I just don't think he is the player he once was, and for the money he makes, IMO, it was a waste of a roster space.

Don't want to sound like Throw, but early in the game when Keenum threw him the long pass, if he would have just kept running, it would have hit him in stride, or at least drew a flag for PI. Dude is a project for now.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 11:42 PM
Was it just me or was JJ3 calling the defense on the field? I know Walker was doing it. JJ3 called the defense in LA, maybe that’s the change the D needed.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/22/21 11:50 PM
Just settled in after a construction delayed drive.

Nice game last night.

I am glad we kept D'Ernest. I hoped we didn't cut the guy because he flashed the ability to be a good back the last 2 years. This could open up a trade for Hunt.

McGlaughlin looks solid.
D seemed solid.

Still have a 11 hour drive buzz going on...will get back tomorrow.
Posted By: DevilDawg2847 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/23/21 02:52 AM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
Originally Posted by Swish

Quoting this because I wanted to hit on a couple of things after reading a number of posts, and you brought both to the forefront:

1. People that are bagging on Woods so harshly - STOP, and think what this D would look like if Myles was actually allowed to do his job. If the opposing offenses actually, at the least, got called for Holding when it happens... how would those offenses look? If they actually stopped Holding so they don't get called, how many Sacks would Myles have per game?? My oldest brother loves to hear himself rant about how he isn't impressed with the Garrett-Clowney experiment (which is insane by itself), but refuses or is unable to look at WHY his simplistic measuring stick of Sacks isn't rolling up like a pinball score. Teams just do NOT run on us, they generally do not get outside on us, and we are hitting their QB constantly when the back end covers. If Myles could go a game where the Refs actually call an honest game, he'd have half a dozen every week.

You're not wrong. But let's be honest.. even IF the refs get better about throwing it they aren't going to throw a dozen flags a game for holding Myles. Knowing that is what he's up against, I do think Woods has the responsibility to figure it out. It sucks, maybe its not fair to him, but its the hand he's been dealt with. Part of the reason the T can focus so much on Myles to hold him is because he doesn't have to choose between Myles and anyone or anything else. I think sometimes the focus is too much on what can the rest of the D-Line do to set up Myles. Maybe we look a little at what can Myles (or what's happening to him) do for the rest of the D?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/23/21 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Was it just me or was JJ3 calling the defense on the field? I know Walker was doing it. JJ3 called the defense in LA, maybe that’s the change the D needed.

JJ III has been calling the defense since the game against the Chargers.

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...er-mayfield-odell-beckham-jr/8434167002/
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/23/21 12:35 PM
A few more thoughts...

Hance played well. He is a keeper as a #1 swing man along the line. He can step in and play well enough you don't notice him...which is a good thing.

We look good enough in the depth area with Johnson, Felton, and Kelly that Hunt can become a trade chip. 3rd rounder??

Keenum is a competent QB who can win games. No doubt he has to put a bit of lob on the ball, but he puts it where it needs to go. He is a very good back-up and we are fortunate to have him.

Behind Malik McDowell, we have nothing at DT. That should be a high priority next off season because it looks like all the others pretty much suck.

The long week before the Steelers is a good thing. I usually don't like Thursday games, but thins one came at a good time.

Baker. He is our guy. There is no QB deal between him and Keenum, but Keenum is good enough to allow Bake to stay on the sidelines as long as it takes for him to get better. Better being relative...I know that surgery is the only way he gets fixed, but as long as playoffs are in the picture for this year, holding off is the proper thing for everybody. If that changes, get it over with ASAP. I suppose the whole contract situation complicates matters for all involved. How could be be any different for the team and us fans? It wouldn't be the same if we didn't have some sort of big question mark looming. Right?

A win is a win. For a close game, it never really seemed all that close. I never felt that we were somehow going to end up losing.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/23/21 02:07 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/23/21 03:17 PM
Good point about DT. Billings is trash. We need DT, LB, and WR help in the draft
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/24/21 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Good point about DT. Billings is trash. We need DT, LB, and WR help in the draft
We need to address free agents and free agency before that. Priority one is identifying the pieces we need to keep whose contracts are about to be up.... which is almost the entire DLine. I would LOVE to see us wrap up the Maliks AND Clowney for the next four or five years and Takk, too. I love what this DLine does when they're healthy.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Postgame Thoughts - 10/24/21 09:31 PM
Pay the DL before some other contracts come up. This line group has done more for us than some CB, LB, QB has managed. Berry will have his work in front of him.
© DawgTalkers.net