DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: THROW LONG Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:13 PM
Victory is better than losing!!!
Posted By: BustkeviousMingo Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:16 PM
Great win. We can beat anyone if the d keeps playing well and gets turnovers
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:18 PM
Complete team win.
Posted By: Swish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:20 PM
Great team win. Everybody showed up and showed out.

Baker was money today, period.

Chubb and the o line just destroyed the bengals on the ground.

And our defense once again played great against a very good offense. 16 points.

Looks like OBJ was the issue. The entire team played exactly like it should: a team.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:20 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:20 PM
This was a great and may I add, an unexpected win. When we are healthy we can play with anyone.
Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:21 PM
Damn good win. So proud of my guys. Much respect to Baker for showing out after all the ish he took all week long.

Idk about y'all but all I saw was 20 flying all over the field. Hill did his thing too. The D really shut ish down after the first 2 Gals drives.

What a win!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:21 PM
A much needed win 5-4

Defense was great Ward Hill Garrett

5 Sacks Garrett now with 12

Baker 14-21 218 2 TD's O Int's

Chubb 13-137 9.8 YPC 2 TD's

OL was Great

DPJ 2 BIG Catches 1 TD
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:23 PM
Ward's pick 6 was awesome and the play of the game.
Big day for Newsome, Ward, and Hill.
Didn't miss OBJ at all. He may have been the problem with the offense?
DL did a great job pressuring Borrow.
Baker made the plays when he had to.
Chubb had a nice day also.

This was a huge win and what we really needed!

GO BROWNS, WOOF, WOOF!
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:23 PM
This game was fun. After the Pick 6 we never looked back. It set the tone for the whole game.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:24 PM
We got some help today too with the Giants beating Las Vegas and the Jags beating Buffalo. Now if only Minnesota can win!!
Posted By: 85_Browns_Queen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:24 PM
How could I leave out Chubb? It was greatness all over the field today. I wish the 3rd quarter was a bit cleaner but whatever, we won!!! against a damn good team!
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:27 PM
A real solid win today over a team that has been playing well all season. Real fun game to watch too. We got our mojo back.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:29 PM
Nice team win.

I was wondering how the team would pull together after the noise of the last several days.

The team answered!
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:32 PM
We need to root for Green Bay, Philly and the Rams tonight.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:32 PM
- The Browns played complementary football today. Great team win.

- Huge shoutout to OBJ Sr. for expediting his son's release. It's been a long time coming and much needed. The second half of last year wasn't a fluke

- Baker was back throwing accurate deep and mid-range. Big game from him.

- Great game by Chubb. Build him a statue.

- DPJ is going to be really good.

- Inside the redzone with goal to go is still Stefanski's Rubik's cube.

- McLaughlin missed one on purpose to remind people he's human.

- Troy Hill had himself a day.

- Hats off to the defense for pressuring Burrow all day and forcing turnovers.

- Can't have the sloppy penalties early in the game.

- It's amazing how much OBJ held this offense and team back. Too bad the Browns didn't release him prior to the Steelers game.

- A special thanks to NYG and JAX. And to Charley Hughlett for always doing your job.

Go Browns (and Cavs)!
Posted By: Westy15 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:39 PM
This team is fun to watch when clicking on all cylinders!
Great game by the defense and finally starting to force some turnovers.
What else can be said about this Oline and Chubb. Solid effort all around and they are gonna be a team to be feared when we get Kareem back in the cold weather months.
DPJ stepped up big time and this may be the beginning of his rise to stardom with Odell gone.
Baker made some big throws and they finally opened up the passing game.
Much needed and very impressive win!!
I hope they resign Teller and Bitonio and keep this Oline together!!
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:42 PM
Is Higgins hurt?
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:46 PM
Player .............. T-A ........ SACK ...... TFL
Anthony Walker 12-2 ......... 1 .............1
wow
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:46 PM
Today's game.. made my pregame thoughts proven wrong ! and being wrong feels really dang good right now ! Keep this rolling ! GO BROWNS !!!!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
A much needed win 5-4

Defense was great Ward Hill Garrett

5 Sacks Garrett now with 12

Baker 14-21 218 2 TD's O Int's

Chubb 13-137 9.8 YPC 2 TD's

OL was Great

DPJ 2 BIG Catches 1 TD

Sorry I forgot Newsome he is proving to be an excellent choice in the 1st round...
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:50 PM
Whomever is in charge of this Bronwns offense is not ready for Prime time.

A Prime time ready team would not have that disgusting offensive possession in the 2nd half 3rd quarter.

2 2nd half possessions by the offense show the offense is not ready for prime time or playoffs.

3:19 to go in the 3rd, up 18 points 34-16, the Browns make 3 te3rrible play calls, for 3 terrible results and don't even properly use up the clock.

2nd! The Browns started a possession on the Bengalss 8 yard line after the turnover return, an event which should give your team momentum, and to capitalize, the Browns lay an EGG on offense
D'Ernest Johnson tackled at the 1 yard line. ... 3rd and goal. 4th and goal, long field goal.
The drive started at the bengals 8!!!

Browns can Pretend, but, this kind of Scrap won't be enough to sweep the Ravens.

and if they don't Sweep the Ravens, they won't be a playoff team, this year.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:51 PM
Great win on the road.

Penalties were a problem, luckily they didn't play a part the outcome. That being said, they were all stupid unnecessary mistakes. They roughing on Day was a crap call.

DPJ is back, and ready to be the guy.

On defense, Ward played an great game, he and Newsome held a powerful passing attack in check. Good pressure from the Dline, but I still have a problem with the LBs going for the strip instead nof stuffing the runner. I saw Walker on several occasions allow a runner extra yards by just pulling at the ball, square up and drop the guy. Joe Woods finally let our DBs do what they are best at, man to man. He also called some well timed blitzes. Myles was again being held all game, and still was effective.

I don't know what effect OBJ had on Baker, but it was very noticeable that he seemed more relaxed. Guys being in the right spot does give a QB confidence. I don't know if that was the problem, but the offense looked way more in sync today.

I want to give a shout out to Njoku, I saw he throw some crucial blocks today. Harrison had a good one too, on one of Chubbs big runs.

I bet nobody will be commenting on the "playcalling " this week.

Division is very close, and the Ravens won, but had a rough time with the Vilings, and were manhandled by the Bengals. There is still a chance to win this division, I just hope the bring the fire every week, like they did today.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:51 PM
j/c...

Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:52 PM
yeah putting up 41 points on a division rival in their house aint going to cut it.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by BADdog
Is Higgins hurt?
No, he played mid 4th quarter, which means,...

The coaches think he's 3rd or 4th string as a wideout.

WHICH IS ANOTHER KNOCK ON THE INTELIGIENCE OF THE COACHING STAFF!!!
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:55 PM
Seriously, go have a beer and go for walk. If you’re pissed after this, life will be very unhappy.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 09:56 PM
Looks like Baker was freed more than Odell
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:08 PM
IF you want to settle for 2nd place and not hold your team for what they did with those 2nd half posessions that will eventlually wind up in losses.
If you want to be happy with half effort, or whole possessions on offense that are wasted,
with not knowing how to play with expectations or playing with the lead.

If you just want the Browns to just be another team that isn't winners then go take your mediocrity elsewhere.

This isn't 2011, this isn't the year where they can't be special and it doesn't matter. This team has what it takes, it should be held to not making whole boneheaded possessions on offense!

If you want to be satisfied with Sorry play, fine.
But I won't be satisfied with what everyone knows can be better!
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:10 PM
JC...

-How good was the coverage by Denzel, Troy Hill, and Newsome...All them contested catches and were lights out...AJ Green flashed a few plays

-Hoping Greedy's injured shoulder isnt serious, as he was playing well for us

-John Johnson 3 had his best game of the season, Harrison played well too imo

-These dumb penalties need to stop, I used to get so frustrated as it was always Myles, now it seems like is everyone else and often Clowney.

-McDowell needs to play more disciplined...ditto for Clowney, gaps were often left unattended.

-Wyatt Teller needs resigned...what an animal in the trenches

-Baker had some really nice throws, luckily no turnovers...left some big plays out there as well (which could be said of most QBS) however he scared me not putting the Bengals out for good...Still needs to clean up, but had some really nice throws in anticipation too.

-Jarvis's pitch was awful

-Can't say enough for Nick Chubb...just a beast of a RB

-Be really nice once Hunt is back, that will help Baker a lot imho...as he brings attention to the D, while being a supportive outlet for Baker.

-Did Tyler Boyd even have a catch?

-Despite a huge lead, I'm sure I'm not the only one whom was still scared of blowing the lead...Our offense seems to pause at the worst of the times.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:12 PM
Great win today. I thought it was our best game of the year. Offense is better without OBJ quite simply. DPJ is one of my favorite players.

We may even see a phasing out of Landry to be honest.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
No way
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:18 PM
I was also impressed with Hill today. He’s best when he’s blitzing honestly
Posted By: TrooperDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:23 PM
Great win today. I thought it was our best game of the year. Offense is better without OBJ quite simply. DPJ is one of my favorite players.

I'd be fine with that. His theatrics after making simple catches gets very tiring.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:26 PM
The penalty after the skirmish between many on both teams to single out a brown was BS.
The roughing the passer when Burrows was tackled late in the game was BS
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:28 PM
j/c...

Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:29 PM
One game does not a season make - but damn ! Great team win. A complete game and team win.

- Did it without our RT.
- Did it without Hunt.
- Newsome and Greedy showing why Newsome was the right pick in the draft.
- Baker being Baker and shoulder hopefully bothering him less and less.
- Aggressive play calling with a lead ... KS seems be learning.
- DPJ making us instantly forget about the lil biatch that we just let go... hope that continues.
- Tip of the hat to Joe Woods. I've been concerned for a few games - but outside of the mindless offsides and bad discipline - they played an explosive offense VERY well.

Other than the Kitchens year and the first 6 games in KS new offense (and 2 bad weather games) - Baker has been VERY good. He was VERY good today. I know he's polarizing and there are folks that love to hate on him no matter what - but I hope he stays a Brown and continues to prove the doubters wrong. I always said it was nuts that people said he played better without a talent like OBJ as an option to throw to - but I think I was wrong. Again - it's one game. But the Bengals D is legit and their O is legit.
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:29 PM
Baker always says the right thing and typically backs it up.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:31 PM
First, the bad.

The pre-snap penalties are getting on my nerves. Lining up in the neutral zone should never happen, let alone three times in the same damn game.

The stupid playcall to run the option with Landry, when we have Nick Chubb to run the football. Ski has to stop being so damn cute in the red zone.

Other than that, we played a complete team game. Ward’s pick-6 changed the game, a real Bengal-breaker.

Baker was efficient, hit the big play to DPJ and threw the ball well. He even showed some touch on that 4th quarter pass to DPJ, not so much on the end zone throw to NJoku: ball has to be thrown higher there.

Really loved our secondary today, and we got some seriously heat on Burro, after he picked us apart early.

I gotta say, this wasn’t a must-win, but really close. Had to keep pace with Baltimore, had to beat a division foe. Good road win, and it’s gonna be a bumpy ride from here on out so buckle up, dawgs!
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:33 PM
Good news is hopefully in the next week(s) we will get JOK and Hunt back, Conklin hopefully after 3 weeks...and praying Greedy is back soon as well, anyone ever hear anything about Jacob Phillips returning for us? I know it was mentioned he could be back towards the end of the year, but never heard any updates on his recovery.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:33 PM
Boyd caught one ball.
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:36 PM
Thanks P, I must have missed it
Posted By: Dave Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 10:52 PM
Very happy with the win, the effort, and the big plays by so many guys, but going forward we have to address the pre-snap and post-whistle penalties. Gotta play smarter in the games coming up, and - please coach - stop getting cute in the red zone.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:04 PM
j/c...

Posted By: sk8termom Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:06 PM
Great win! Looks like OBJ was part of the problem. Too bad the Ravens won in OT.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:11 PM
One other good thing: we finally won with Romo and Nantz
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:12 PM
I was really happy for Njoku.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:16 PM
DPJ is greater than OBJ!

Chubb is a Hall of Famer!

Baker is back!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:21 PM
Chubb definitely could be a HOF player. He’s that good and impactful. His whole thing will be longevity
Posted By: Bird Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:25 PM
Welp, pass the salt. And I would like my crow medium rare please.

Thrilled that the Browns won. I was not expecting that. The defense played very well and Baker did very well.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
not so much on the end zone throw to NJoku: ball has to be thrown higher there.

While I agree with your post in it's entirety - and I agree the throw to Njoku was short/low - I think there is a bit of a habit we have developed here to nit pick bad throws by Baker. He's had spells where he has made more than his share or made bad decisions etc ... but regard accuracy of throws, every single QB in the NFL makes bad throws every single game. I think as Browns fans we get a bit over zealous and obsessed with things like that. I watch other WR and TE make breathtaking catches off badly placed throws - and the narrative isn't how bad the throw was, it's about how good the catch was..... not wanting to throw the thread off, just commenting on something I see a lot.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/07/21 11:53 PM
Big complements to Stefanski, Baker, and Berry - this could have spiraled out of control and they righted the ship. Although I think all three in their heart of hearts know the nameless player is a jerk, and caused many problems.

If we are going to smear Woods on bad games, lets give him his props here. That was an elite O they held down all day. Great scheming with Troy Hill.

For the first time I believe our D could be good. We have several legit corners in newsome, ward, and greedy, if they can stay healthy. Hill and Johnson are play makers, coupled with JOK returning. Bookend elite rushers…this could be special.

Chubb is a dominant RB, his breakaway speed puts him in a class by himself.

Baker is point guard, fast paced dealer of the ball to all receivers, loved the tempo at times we played with. Loved the deep shot now we have a legit deep threat and not a nameless, washed up jerk. If Baker hits a rhythm and does not get the shoulder banged, look out.

Now the nameless loser is gone DPJ can emerge, he is a legit number one and could be a pro-bowler long term. I am very excited to see what he does now that he has his shot.

Teller is the best guard in the NFL. At all costs sign him.

Also compliments to Baker and Stefanski for being classy about the nameless jerk after the game in interviews, proud they took the high road. I’ll make up for it with smack talk here.

So excited for the Pats game…it will be a challenge.
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:05 AM
gotta cut down on those dumb pre snap penalties. I know the blue line on the TV is official, but you could tell Clowney was in the neutral zone just about every play those first few series
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:25 AM
--Our best players made plays when it mattered most. Baker, Ward, Chubb, Garrett (the Shaq of the NFL).

--Please, please fight me on the notion that the refs, the NFL, and New York are not personally biased against the Browns. Someone, please debate me on this. Has anyone ever, and I mean ever, seen a roughing the passer penalty called 40 seconds after the play was over, not by the on the field crew, but by some nerd (probably Goodell) in New York? Is this even real? Did that really just happen?

--How about phoning in from New York on all the non-calls for Garrett? I mean that in the most serious fashion possible. I think I counted another 3 to 4 non-holding calls again today. Why don't they phone those in?

--I have been on record that the lack of chemistry between Baker and OBJ is a Baker problem. I guarantee you all the great receivers free lance their routes because they believe they and their QB are on the same page and are seeing the same things. But the Baker - Odell marriage simply didn't work. Baker played like a weight was lifted off his shoulders today. I like this version of Baker better.

--Baker was extremely mature in his post game presser. You can tell this had a deep personal effect on him. I think the team really, and I mean really, rallied around him today. It was great to see. I know I am a Baker critic, but I am a Browns fan, and to see the team so tight, so united today was really just awesome.

--Baker's first TD throw was awesome. His second TD throw was probably top 5 I've seen across the league this season. That was rookie Baker. That was 'I don't give a fark, I trust my arm more than your defense' Baker. Njoku, Landry, and Higgins were all genuinely happy for Baker after that TD pass.

--The 3rd down pass to DPJ was clutch, accurate, and a big time throw (all the things I criticize him for). I love it.

--I am crossing my fingers this is a start to a magical finish to the season.

--Defense was great. Woods still makes me nervous. I can't shake it. I'm still not coming around on him. First two drives they went through the defense like hot butter. Thank you Denzel Ward.

--If we get this Ward every week, who do you pay, Ward or Teller? Teller's block on Chubb's TD run was nothing short of dominant.

--If the team finishes strong, dream scenario would be Baker takes less, and we are able to retain Njoku, Ward, and Teller.

--All of a sudden the Patriots are going to be a tough game. It's another must win with the Lions on the horizon. Go on 3 game win streak and see where we are. All of the preseason goals are still in front of us.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by mgh888
not so much on the end zone throw to NJoku: ball has to be thrown higher there.

While I agree with your post in it's entirety - and I agree the throw to Njoku was short/low - I think there is a bit of a habit we have developed here to nit pick bad throws by Baker. He's had spells where he has made more than his share or made bad decisions etc ... but regard accuracy of throws, every single QB in the NFL makes bad throws every single game. I think as Browns fans we get a bit over zealous and obsessed with things like that. I watch other WR and TE make breathtaking catches off badly placed throws - and the narrative isn't how bad the throw was, it's about how good the catch was..... not wanting to throw the thread off, just commenting on something I see a lot.

You can't miss that throw. You just can't.

But he played really, really well otherwise.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:27 AM
Ward and Baker are under contract for 2022 already. Pay Teller first then wait on the other two.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:33 AM
Interesting and surprising to me. Browns open as 2.5 pt dogs to the Patriots.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:42 AM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
You can't miss that throw. You just can't.

Watch more football. Ever team, every QB misses throws like that. Week in week out. I'll give a hall pass to Brady, Brees and Manning. Wilson probably misses fewer than most. But every other QB. Hell - the amazing Justin Herbert who you fawned over - missed 4 or 5 throws like that in one game. But - I get it, you carry on.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:44 AM
Pats defense is tough as nails. And opportunistic. They’re gonna make us play left handed.

The good news: their strength is the run game, which is more containable for us
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:45 AM
There's no more football left for me to watch.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:46 AM
--How about phoning in from New York on all the non-calls for Garrett? I mean that in the most serious fashion possible. I think I counted another 3 to 4 non-holding calls again today. Why don't they phone those in?

I like the rest of the post - but this is particularly true. The Cinci OL were wrapping there arms around MG neck on back to back to back plays. It's beyond ridiculous.

As to the "phone in from NY" - they walked that idea back on air. Suggested it was made by one of the crew on the field.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:48 AM
Pats defense is tough as nails. And opportunistic. They’re gonna make us play left handed.

The good news: their strength is the run game, which is more containable for us

I think it's a another must win. We need to go on a little streak here to have a chance at the end, IMO.

We should not fear Mac Jones or their defense or really anyone on that team.

Should be a win. We are more talented. But Belichek is the great equalizer.
Posted By: Baker_Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:48 AM

Agreed, watch it move to a pickem by gametime
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:54 AM
'It's not the size of the dawg in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dawg. '

Baker does not back down. It may not always be right or pretty but Baker has brass B's.

He is a tough, hard nose player.

Chubb!! What can you say? I take nothing away from Henry but Chubb is my guy.
When he goes warp speed. He can go. He can pick em up and put them down.

Ward is good - period. On the field he is an excellent corner. Newsome is showing.
He made some technique plays from behind his man. Pulling his arms down.
That is advanced play. Very impressive player.

The way the Bengals came down the field on the opening drive. I was thinking. "This does not look good."
Ward flipped the script.

Winning the turnover game is so important.

The two catches and throws to DPJ were large.
Hill had clean shots at a slow footed qb. He gets beat underneath. He had his best game.

Kevin Stefanski. Major prop's. He got a team ready to play during a rough drama week.
And a bad loss.

Happy to win and keep us in the hunt.

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by bonefish
Kevin Stefanski. Major prop's. He got a team ready to play during a rough drama week.
And a bad loss.

Despite what many of the players said this week, it seemed like the whole team played like a huge weight was lifted off their shoulders.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:02 AM
For whatever reason I thought we’d play well today. It kinda had the vibes as the Steelers playoff game last year … so much distraction but our character prevailed (that’s Stefanski, Baker, Chubb, Bitonio, etc)
Posted By: clwb419 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:09 AM
Even better than I thought. I thought we'd come out with extra fire this week, but that was super solid.

Wasn't happy with the bend but don't break D in the first half - giving up 250 yards - but clearly happy with the turnovers. Second half was much better on D - a total of 361 yards given up. Kudos for some good adjustments.

On O, we had a mere 46 plays and yet still 348 yards. Thankfully the two fumbles (Jarvis' pitch is considered one) didn't hurt us.

Special teams were good enough. Punting could be better, returns were below average and Chase missed a FG. Good on the coverage side.

Coaching - overall solid - fewer headscratchers than normal and solid adjustments in the second half on D. I'm happy we didn't take the foot off the pedal in half 2 despite being up. And the team showed up after a weird week that could have gone haywire.

Reffing - overall it was ok, with 2 awful, awful calls - Day's "rouging" penalty and Elliot's roughness penalty when both teams were pushing including a Cincy player hitting him in the head.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:10 AM
For whatever reason I thought we’d play well today. It kinda had the vibes as the Steelers playoff game last year … so much distraction but our character prevailed (that’s Stefanski, Baker, Chubb, Bitonio, etc)

Yet in multiple threads you said we would lose.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:12 AM
Well, I thought the bengals would be much more formidable. You can still play well and lose obviously
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:41 AM
Post-game thoughts

This team looked similar to the team we saw in the 2nd half of last season. This is a timing/rhythm offense, which means guys have to be where expected. Take one misaligned cog out of the scoring machine and things start to run smoothly. Last year in Cinci, 13 went down with a torn ACL. 6 responded by throwing 20 straight completions and five TD passes. The last of those five was to DP-J in the last seconds of the game. It was addition by subtraction last year, and it was addition by subtraction on the one-year anniversary. Note: I never disliked him at all during his time here. He was just never here enough to ever fit in. I hope he has a better time wherever he's going.

D stepped up big time. All 3 squads did their jobs and shut down a very good O.
DB's were a pleasant revelation. Lots of man coverage- and damn if they didn't shut down Burrows' air game.

Stupid penalties are going to cost this team at least one game down the stretch if they don't clean this stuff up. Coaches- please?

24 is the new 32. 137. His 20th career game of 100+ yards.
Midway in the 3rd quarter, opposing teams no longer want to play football against him.

At one point in the second half, I thought the playcalling was going go into a shell. So glad we kept the tempo and pressure up. That team has the ability to come back fast from a deficit.

Today's team has a better-than even shot against any other team in the league, and it can definitely beat its division mates. I hope this team sticks around. Last week's team needs to stay buried.

GREAT WIN!
NEXT-

*edit*
If you are on the opponent's 1-yard line, it's 1st and goal, and 24 is in your backfield you should never throw the football. Ever.
Coach Stef- please, please get rid of the cute. 'Cause we have a Brute. And it's frakking Cleveland. And we're a run-first team. Right?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:44 AM
--If we get this Ward every week, who do you pay, Ward or Teller?

Pay them both. The Browns just freed up OBJ's cap space for next season and the next move would be to move on from Landry (and I'm a Landry truther!). OG and DB are higher priority positions on this team. Sometimes tough decisions need to be made.

Another $5M will be freed up up when Hubbard contract expires. Extend Keenum and restructure his contract for additional cap savings.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:07 AM
Here’s a question for everyone:

Where does Chubb rank RIGHT NOW in terms of Browns RBs in history?

Surely Jim Brown is #1 … Leroy Kelly then?

And then …?
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:08 AM
well he has passed Hillis
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:13 AM
It's still early in 24's career. Kind of hard to compare him to players with a complete body of work.

I'll say this: he just logged his 20th 100 yd game, and his ypc are .1 better than Jim Brown's.
At this point, I see him tied with Kelly.

Where does Kevin Mack fall on the list?

see what you started?

Interesting topic. Looking forward to the responses.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:19 AM
Teller is a priority to resign… he is simply an amazing blocker.
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:21 AM

And then …?
He's still got two Pruitts, a Motley and a Mack to pass... in my eyes. But his face is getting bigger in the rear view mirror week by week.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:22 AM

Internet is giving free money away. Take the Browns on the ML. Ask your kids if they want to go to Harvard or Yale.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:22 AM
I more or less am asking because the first RB I remember is Metcalf/Hoard … those days

Chubb is by far the best RB I’ve seen in our uniform
Posted By: jaybird Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:23 AM
Best game I've seen this year... total team win... defense looked great overall... Chubb was money... Baker played very well...
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:27 AM
why are we talking lists and what Jim Brown did 50 years a go... we live in this era and get to see football now ! like talking phones, ya know ones ya had to dial , to the ones now where all you have to do is hope ya don't need to remeber someething ...lmao !
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by jaybird
Best game I've seen this year... total team win... defense looked great overall... Chubb was money... Baker played very well...
Agreed. This game had the same feel as last year in the 2nd half
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:35 AM
j/c...

Posted By: Pdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 03:53 AM
First complete game of the year imo.

Baker was on fire early and threw some of his best balls of the year.
Chubb didn't get many carries but he made them count. Watching him run is poetry in motion.
DPJ is one tough hombre. He took one hell of a shot and the ball didn't move an inch. I'd love seeing him get more looks.

Myles gets held almost every play. One play is floating around Twitter shows two guys holding him simultaneously.
Ward is a great player and it showed today. He got a pick, caused another with a tip and only allowed one reception for 11 yds. If he can only stay healthy.
Hill had is best day as a Brown with three sacks. He was also good in run defense and coverage.
Johnson and Walker both had impactful games. Walker had 12 tackles and a sack. Johnson with a pick and I think he forced a fumble.

Next week will be tough but I believe we will win if we play like we did today!I
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 04:30 AM
j/c...

After a week of OBJ chaos, Baker Mayfield's speech helps Browns save a season on the brink
Marla Ridenour
Akron Beacon Journal

CINCINNATI — When the Browns huddled in the end zone Sunday after warmups, star defensive end Myles Garrett did not address the team as he has for all but one previous game this season.

Instead, he ceded to quarterback Baker Mayfield.

“He looked at me before I was about to speak and I pointed at him and said, ‘You got it,’” Garrett said.

It had been a tumultuous week since receiver Odell Beckham Jr.’s father posted a video on Instagram Tuesday morning showing examples of his son being open and Mayfield failing to get him the ball. LeBron James followed with a #FreeOBJ tweet.

After months of requests by Beckham to be traded, the Browns reached an agreement Friday to waive him on Monday.

The uproar put the spotlight on Mayfield’s lack of chemistry with Beckham, absent since Beckham arrived in a March 2019 trade from the New York Giants. Garrett knew the players needed to see that Mayfield could put aside what had happened and focus on their crucial game with the Cincinnati Bengals before they could as well.

“I felt like just because he was a part of what was going on earlier in the week, it was kind of important for him to talk to address the team and show that this is not bothering him, it’s not on his mind, he’s looking forward and we all need to,” Garrett said. “I think that it was important that I give the reins to him.”

That may have been the galvanizing moment the Browns needed.

(see link for remainder of article)

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...me-in-win-cincinnati-bengals/6232443001/
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 04:50 AM

Just the 3 point home field deal attached. Basically they see the teams even and have to start the betting line somewhere.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 04:57 AM
Baker to his haters...

Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:01 AM
Just rewatched. The throw to DPJ on 3rd and 11, the Harrison Bryant reception, the Felton reception, and the Njoku TD were beautiful throws.

Ronnie Harrison took just about the worst angle possible on a long Mixon run. It literally looked like he thought someone else had the ball or he just doesn't know how slow he is.

I love Nick Chubb. The runs that are supposed to work are huge chunks and runs that shouldn't go anywhere often turn into ten yard gains.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:03 AM
This was the team people expected to see before the season started when they were talking about the Browns contending...

- Great and potentially explosive run game
- Efficient and potentially explosive passing game
- Improved defense to make plays

I won't dwell on all of the good, it's been covered. My two negatives from an otherwise glorious afternoon...

1. The play call on 3rd and 1 from the 5 when the Bengals hadn't stopped a single thing yet.. hand to Landry to run the option with Chubb? Just give it to Chubb inside with the FB in front of him... if it doesn't work, give it to him again... Something happens inside the red zone and Stefanski gets crazy..
2. The dead ball penalties need to stop. We had 4 or 5 today I'm guessing, just stupid movement and formation penalties.

Not a Browns negative but some of the penalty calls just left me scratching my head.. I was watching it without sound so I don't know what the announcers were saying but... notallthere
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:04 AM
Any word on Greedy?? I heard something about his bum shoulder.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:20 AM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Any word on Greedy?? I heard something about his bum shoulder.

I won't be surprised if he's back next week.

Posted By: CalDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:23 AM
Originally Posted by FATE

And then …?
He's still got two Pruitts, a Motley and a Mack to pass... in my eyes. But his face is getting bigger in the rear view mirror week by week.

#1 in YPC
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:38 AM
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/career-rushing.htm

Marion Motley had a 5.7 ypc average.
Chubb should pass Motley this season for yards and the #6 spot.
He passed Motley for Rushing TDs like two weeks ago... next up is surpassing Otto.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:45 AM
24 is the new 32.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:52 AM
j/c...

6th round pick. Salary cap hit $826,652.

Posted By: RocketOptimist Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 06:37 AM
Easy game to watch
Son saw a win from my lap
All was good today
Posted By: FreeAgent Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 10:17 AM
My only negative on the game is Penalties. This team needs to get more disciplined. Didn’t cost us today but it has and will again If they don’t clean that up.

Other than that was a great game by everyone. The secondary stepped up big and that is what we wanted to see from (2) 1st round corners as well as big Free Agent/Trade at Safety. If they play like that the rest of the year games, will be fun to watch.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 11:50 AM
Inside the 5 Chubb at minimum has to be in the backfield.

Either give him the ball or fake to him and throw. The defense knows when he is there they must be ready for him.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:25 PM
Giant question. How are you suppose to tackle a quarterback?

What exactly did Sheldon Day do wrong?

He tackled Burrow with his shoulder pads below the waste. Is he supposed to bring a pillow with him to make sure the qb lands softly?

Deacon Jones please arise from the grave and tell the NFL what is wrong.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:44 PM
Baker’s pass to DPJ was impressive under some pressure.

One note that i kept having during the game though: Walker is so slow. He sticks out like a sore thumb going side to side
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:47 PM
I did not see anything wrong with that tackle. Were they claiming it was late? It wasnt
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 12:48 PM
I will post my thoughts before I read the other entries.

- I was at the game, my first time watching a game in enemy territory. There were 19 of us, rented a bus from north of Columbus. 17 Browns fans, the other 2 Bengals fan. It was a nice ride home.
- I hate to talk about officiating. but I will. In almost 50 years of watching the game, I have seen times where flags have come out late. However, never, ever, have I seen a flag thrown while the offense was breaking the huddle for the next play. WTF?
- I will also say they missed the call when Myles was being held by 2 guys at once. Typical.
- So, this was a huge win. A team win. A lot of contributors.
- Good to see Chubb bust a long one. He was not his typical self before that. The play before, we lined up in a 5 wide with Chubb all the way right and a TE all the way left. Must have confused Cincy because they called a time out. He got their D how he liked it and Chubb then goes for 70.
- DPJ filled for that other guy just fine. Did not hear anything else about him, hope he is ok. It was one of the referees who took him out of the game. Must have been a little unsteady. He took a shot.
- Teller. Holy crap.
- We got to Burrow. Sacks, other hits. He was nothing special yesterday. Not saying that he is not good, but he was not yesterday. Didn't bring the team back from behind in an important game.
- Chase was not a factor. IIRC some on this board already had him as a top 5 WR in the league. He had two big drops, and even other than that he was not a factor. 40 yards or so? 0 yards on 2 rushes.
- I wonder, was the Baltimore game the outlier for Cincy? Maybe the team that played us and the Jets are closer to reality?
- Ward had a great game. I saw the stats afterwards. 41 snaps, allowed one completion for 11 yards. Pick 6, and caused the other interception with a tip. 0.0 QB rating when targeted.
- Newsome also had a good game. As did Hill. Though I think the stadium announcer may have given him credit for too many sacks. He is a sure tackler.
- Greedy. I know he had some good games this year. But once again he played with too much cushion, playing behind the receiver. He did against AZ and also against PIT. When he does this, it is an easy first down if you throw his way. Can't defend from behind. We're OK when he is our #4 CB. When you count on him to be one of the top 2, then I don't know. He does play well at times.
- Didn't mention Baker. Very well done. He came to play. The bomb to DPJ was spot on. I think the TD to Njoku was a middle finger to critics.
- I saw afterwards that Baker's wikipedia page was updated to say that he was an NFL quarterback for the Cleveland Browns and a majority owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. Also saw posts with a pic of Cincy's field labelled "At home with Baker Mayfield."
- Cleveland fans well represented at the stadium. The noise after Ward's TD was unbelievable. The chants for Baker at the end were also loud, but most of the Cincy fans started to leave after that failed 2-point conversion, when it was still a 3-score difference.
- "Welcome to the Jungle" is forever ruined for me. And I have no idea what that polka-sounding thing is they play. That's just embarrassing.

Who dey? We dey. That's who beat the Bengals. The Browns.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
This was the team people expected to see before the season started when they were talking about the Browns contending...

I think this absolutely nails it. 100%.
Posted By: GMdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:43 PM
My thoughts after the game???

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:50 PM
j/c:

What a fun game to watch on so many different levels.

We saw the defense everyone was hoping we'd see at the start of the season.
We saw an offense that was efficient and timing-based with an amazing offensive line performance.
More importantly, we saw a team emphatically rebound after a wild week of media coverage, a disgruntled player, an angry helicopter parent, and questions about team stability and overall caliber only to come out and whoop some ass ALL GAME LONG.

- Chubb had a fantastic game but his 70-yd run was a joy. I knew he was deceptively fast, but it looked like he went into another gear pulling away from the secondary.
- The cornerbacks were on fire! Ward had a top-3 game of his career (maybe his best) and Newsome was fantastic. Can't forget about Troy Hill as well. That unit was fantastic.
- Our defensive line got significant pressure pretty much for the whole game it seemed. Myles was Myles.
- DPJ is our deep threat. Made you forget the name OBJ in the first quarter for most folks.
- Baker was deliberate, efficient, and didn't make mistakes. Picked his plays to make a deep throw, but many shorter, mid-range throws for the most part. In fact, he didn't throw that much. Part was the first quarter and never really having a series until towards the end.
- Props to Stefanski. He galvanized the team after a terrible loss and the Odell media storm to keep the team focused and limit distractions. Bravo.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:53 PM
DPJ is a tremendous deep threat because he covers so much ground. His maturation is going to come in the short/intermediate passing game. He needs to develop some nuance (like he did w/the 4th quarter catch). I’m excited to see him develop.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 01:58 PM
I've stashed DPJ on all my fantasy teams including a keeper league from the start of the season - I've always believed he will come through and be our stud. There is a lot to like about him winning contested catches and Baker's ability.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:00 PM
How can a ref feel somebody got hit so hard in the head that he needed to go to the bench and not throw a flag? Has that ever happened to another team? We are the NFL guinea pigs.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:05 PM
Yeah he has a good future I think
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:07 PM
I don't know what the reasoning was - but it's possible and I have seen a fair tackle that resulted in the players head 'bouncing' off the turf and him being concussed or tested for concussion.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 02:22 PM
It's nice on a Monday to talk about a very good win the day before. Last week was miserable after the Pitt. loss. I can't help but wonder if we had let OBJ go before the Pittsburgh game would we have seen the same result as yesterday?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 04:06 PM
j/c...

Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 04:15 PM
That's another guy that is steadily rounding into form in this D... JJ3. His play has been steadily picking up after an extremely disappointing start.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by BADdog
Is Higgins hurt?

He liked OBJ seniors post trashing Baker. As a result he only got in for three plays. Actions have consequences.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 04:36 PM
Must be a bad day for Riz.

We won.

We are supposed to lose to Detroit and everything is wrong because of Baker.

I didn't see the daily piece about below average etc.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 04:54 PM
j/c...

Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by jfanent
How can a ref feel somebody got hit so hard in the head that he needed to go to the bench and not throw a flag? Has that ever happened to another team? We are the NFL guinea pigs.

I thought this immediately. You can be sure it would have been called on one of our defenders.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by CapCity Dawg
- I saw afterwards that Baker's wikipedia page was updated to say that he was an NFL quarterback for the Cleveland Browns and a majority owner of the Cincinnati Bengals. Also saw posts with a pic of Cincy's field labelled "At home with Baker Mayfield."

I just might have a T-shirt made with this line printed on it.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

I just might have a T-shirt made with this line printed on it.

Not me ... Ben was 100% owner of the Cleveland Browns for 18 years or whatever it was. If I'd have seen a Steeler shirt like that, it wouldn't have sat well.

let's act like we've been here before. A meme is different than printing it on clothing - just my 2 cents.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:12 PM
I have yet to see a DB catch Chubb in the open field. He is as fast as anyone with pads on the field.
Posted By: Bird Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by CalDawg

And then …?

#1 in YPC
I could be wrong but I think Brown is the only rb to average over 100 yds per game for his career.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:47 PM
What a difference a week makes! First to address OBJ. It certainly seems from any measurable this team is different with him gone. The question then becomes.... who does that say more about? I'm sure we've all been around a coworker or team member who is a malcontent. Yet in every such situation I've ever been in, those around them continued to do their job at a high level. Allowing one guy on a team be an excuse for everyone around him playing like shat to me says more about the rest of the team than it does OBJ. Now on to the game....

The D looked very different. Yes we've held teams to low point totals in other games but it just never looked or produced the way it did this week. Of course you have to attribute that to the players who stepped up, but I will also attribute that to the change of play calling. We ran more blitzes and were more aggressive. Something many of us have been calling for. It paid huge dividends. I'm sure the opposing personnel plays a big part in that so we will see how that goes moving forward. But if our secondary could cover the Bengals WR's in man coverage, there are a lot of teams we can do the same with. As for the unforced penalties. They looked dismal and were quite frustrating. But if anyone noticed, they all came in the first half. After coming out for the second half they had been cleaned up and were no longer an issue. The roughing call on Sheldon Day was total BS.

Baker played great. In situations that called for it he threw the ball away rather than force the issue. That's what smart QB's do. All QB's miss throws from time to time. Claiming "That's a throw he can't miss" when he made so many clutch throws in this game is nothing more than bias whether one recognizes that bias within themselves or not. I actually felt as if his left shoulder was preventing him from making the longer throws. The long one to DPJ provided the evidence that such a belief was false.

This was a team win on both offense and defense. People have already called out all of the great individual performances so I won't bother. All I will add is that sometimes we overlook players who are "just doing their jobs" for those who stand out on the field. Football is the ultimate team sport and without everyone else doing their jobs, the stars wouldn't shine near as brightly. So a big high five to all those role players for making our stars shine so brightly.

I'm still trying to keep things in perspective however. The lowly Jets beat them the week before. So while I'm very excited about the win I have to ask myself was it all us? Or are the Bengals in a bit of a funk that was a contributing factor? One thing about it, the Jets didn't hold them to 16 points. They gave up 31 points to the Bengals. On the other hand, even the lowly Jets put up 34 points on them. Stay tuned...

This game gave us a glimpse of what we can be. Hopefully it's a sign of what we will be moving forward. GO BROWNS!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 05:53 PM
I'm not complaining, just struggling to understand how the same person calling for our secondary to give 5+ yards cushion on 3rd downs is the same one to blitz Joe Burrow and put Newsome 1-1 with Jamar Chase.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 06:01 PM
I can think of two possible explanations off the top of my head but have no actual idea if they are correct. The first would be that it took this long to install having the ability to play this defense as a unit. There's a lot of moving parts that have to deploy in unison to accomplish playing an attacking style of defense so that you don't pay a heavy price for it. Second would be that playing it may be based on the opposing teams personnel. Even before the game I saw where Burrows does even worse than most other starting QB's under pressure. I was surprised that Cinci didn't run more screens and set up quick outlet throws to combat the pressure. But they didn't. So it could be things they found in the film room that made it known this was the best defense to beat them or it may be a maturation of the system. Or hell, it could be something totally different that I have no idea of. lol
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 06:16 PM

not holding?
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by Bird
Originally Posted by CalDawg

And then …?

#1 in YPC
I could be wrong but I think Brown is the only rb to average over 100 yds per game for his career.
Jim Brown averaged 20 carries per game, 104 yards per game, 5.2 ypc
Nick Chubb is averaging 15.7 carries per game, 84 yards per game, 5.3 ypc
Posted By: BADdog Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 07:14 PM
Do you have a screen shot that includes an official?
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 07:18 PM
I couldn't believe that. I know that they haven't been calling holding when it's against him for the most part, but that was moving the goal posts entirely.

Hell, he was even held during the play where he beat Williams for the sack.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 07:21 PM
I believe you are correct.

Also, I think that of runners with at least 5,000 Yards (or maybe it's 8,000), he is the only one to average over 5.0 yards per carry (Barry Sanders is right at 5.0).
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 07:31 PM
Originally Posted by cfrs15
Ronnie Harrison took just about the worst angle possible on a long Mixon run. It literally looked like he thought someone else had the ball or he just doesn't know how slow he is.

Funny you mention that. As I watched the game live, I remember yelling at the TV "What a HORRIBLE angle Harrison took, what was THAT?!?" I re-wound it to confirm my beliefs and yea, wow, it was as bad as I thought I saw.
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 07:31 PM
Awesome game out of the whole team.

I thought the most important part of the game was the offense's first drive. It was a 7-7 game but the defense had been on the field for some 8 minutes striaght because of two long drives with a pick-six in the middle. The offense was able to carry the possession over to the second quarter, get another 7 points, and give the defense good rest. I felt really good about the game after that, because Cincinnati answering the pick six with another long TD drive could have been trouble for the Browns.

Baker looked better, i think there were still throws he'd like back, but overall it was the best he's looked in weeks.

Chubb had an amazing game

The defense played really well. I don't think Cincinnati has arrived like maybe they thought they have, but they are by no means a bad team. I'll take a divisional road win any way I can get it, and when you are able to win huge, that's awesome.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 07:43 PM
Nothing to see here. Move along. #ShaqGarrett

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

not holding?

There were two holds. They offset.
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 08:07 PM
rofl
Sadly, that is about the only feasible explanation!
Posted By: Spergon FTWynn Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Spergon FTWynn
Awesome game out of the whole team.

I thought the most important part of the game was the offense's first drive. It was a 7-7 game but the defense had been on the field for some 8 minutes striaght because of two long drives with a pick-six in the middle. The offense was able to carry the possession over to the second quarter, get another 7 points, and give the defense good rest. I felt really good about the game after that, because Cincinnati answering the pick six with another long TD drive could have been trouble for the Browns.

Baker looked better, i think there were still throws he'd like back, but overall it was the best he's looked in weeks.

Chubb had an amazing game

The defense played really well. I don't think Cincinnati has arrived like maybe they thought they have, but they are by no means a bad team. I'll take a divisional road win any way I can get it, and when you are able to win huge, that's awesome.

One other item i forgot to mention. Man, Greg Newsome II can BALL. What a great pick by the front office. He was all over the field yesterday. Ward is good, and had arguably the biggest play of the game, but Newsome has been so good all year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 08:57 PM
It happens so much it is disgusting.

You would think by now that offcials would be at the least paying attention???
Posted By: waterdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 11:37 PM
I think Milk posted that Walker like 12 tackles .. I must have fell asleep a part of the game.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/08/21 11:53 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 12:02 AM

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 12:12 AM
These DPJ numbers suggest that he’s gotta be a big part of the offense moving forward.

DPJ, Chubb, and Njoku are the playmakers right now
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 12:21 AM
Ofeadi Odenigbo had a pretty impactful game. (number 57) I noticed him in a lot of replays.
Now!
I hope the coaches work with him, on how to annihilate quarterbacks, but do it nicely enough to never get a 15 yard penalty, similar to how Myles Garrett does.

Of course there is only one Myles Garrett.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 12:24 AM
Rich Eisen goes off:

https://twitter.com/RichEisenShow/status/1457809397350993922

epic.
Posted By: JulesDawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 01:27 AM
Great game all the way around. I don’t remember enjoying a game that much in a long time. So much fun! I just hope we can maintain consistency going forward, duplicating this kind of performance. New England will be tough. We need to pull out a win.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 02:11 AM
Fun vid.

Rich Eisen describing Baker Mayfield is describing the epitome of what Browns players have always been about:

Underdawg.
Underappreciated.
Undervalued.
Underestimated.
Blue-collar.
Moxie.
Take no s#.
"Screw you- I'm doing this no matter what you say or think."

Any CLE fans who still hate on him because of the flag-plant need to go root for tOSU.
Or Buffalo.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Any CLE fans who still hate on him because of the flag-plant need to go root for tOSU.

I think anyone who hates on him because of the flag-plant already roots for tOSU.

I said this then, and multiple times since. I am a big OSU fan, but that flag-plant did not bother me. He won a big game on the road, go ahead and celebrate. What did bother me is that he was surprised when he couldn't actually plant the flag in a turf field.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 12:26 PM
Loved that Rich Eisen video
Posted By: bonefish Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 12:45 PM
Given the history of the Browns in finding a quarterback "the list".

Then add what the Browns record was for the two previous years before Baker arrived.

You would think that he would be wildly popular? I mean a Baker cult.

Not that he is an MVP. Or, no matter how he is ranked.

That he represents just what Eisen described and that he is Cleveland. He does have a chip on his shoulder.

And maybe more than anything he is a tough, hard nosed player who is a great teammate and a team leader.

Of course you have to win. But when was the last time we went to the playoffs before last year? And who made that happen?

Hell I wanted Sam Darnold. How has that turned out? He plays like his brain is unattached.

I have come to be a Baker guy. I see him just like Eisen and just as you stated:

Underdawg.
Underappreciated.
Undervalued.
Underestimated.
Blue-collar.
Moxie.
Take no s#.
"Screw you- I'm doing this no matter what you say or think."

Go Baker!
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 01:20 PM
What did bother me is that he was surprised when he couldn't actually plant the flag in a turf field.

This guy gets it.
Posted By: Damanshot Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
I have yet to see a DB catch Chubb in the open field. He is as fast as anyone with pads on the field.

Wow,, now that you mention it, neither have I....
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Damanshot

Schwartz had a tweet about that 70 yard run. Something like "I could have caught him .... maybe"
Posted By: dawglover05 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 02:31 PM
My wife and I have a joke that he runs like our old yorkie-poo after she got the zoomies.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 03:36 PM
Loved that Rich Eisen video

Am I the only one who thinks the Eisen videos are contrived and hard to watch?
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 03:52 PM
His world is dominated by the likes of Colin Cowherd and Stephen A Smith. So no, I do not.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 05:03 PM
ATTA BOY!!!!!!!

F all of you - love it. Go Baker, Go Browns...
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 06:16 PM
I think the answer here is a simple one. There was nothing to brag about when he "tried" to plant that flag. There were other such incidents that gave a clear sign that he was immature. But is that unusual for young athletes? Hell, is it unusual in terms of young people at all? I don't think so. There was certainly a concern of whether he would outgrow that immaturity or not. Some people do and some people carry some arrogant chip on their shoulder their entire life.

So I'm a huge OSU fan. But once we draft a player he is a Brown. At that point none of the "OSU stuff" per say thing made any difference to me. The fact he acted that way anywhere at all did. Some of his other antics did. But it's clear to me and I think most anyone else who has watched his progression sees that he's outgrown that immaturity. That such things are no longer an issue. IMO there's always been a difference between moxy and arrogance. When Baker was younger he was arrogant and immature. What we've been left with is the moxy of Baker without the immaturity.

I couldn't have asked for more.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 06:21 PM

21.07 MPH.
Posted By: FATE Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 06:26 PM
The sickest part is the "clutch". Dude slams it into fourth faster than any back I've ever seen at his size.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 06:36 PM
The Cinci OL were wrapping there arms around MG neck on back to back to back plays. It's beyond ridiculous.

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...56eb260e66d26dc3f84be0f1&oe=61B1489D

no flag for holding.
I think that was Stevie Wonder wearing stripes.
still ended in a 6.5 yard sack.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 07:07 PM
At 5'11" and around 230# his speed is amazing. A combination of speed, power and agility that's hardly ever heard of.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
At 5'11" and around 230# his speed is amazing. A combination of speed, power and agility that's hardly ever heard of.

Hence, my new sig.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 07:34 PM

Not only does he not get caught from behind, he pulls away in the open field.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 08:26 PM
The Cinci OL were wrapping there arms around MG neck on back to back to back plays. It's beyond ridiculous.

no flag for holding.

It is amazing that #128 is looking right at the blatant hold, and does nothing.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 11:18 PM
I almost believe that the nfl doesn’t want him single-handedly wrecking games. I mean, if they called a hold every time he’s held, there’d be a lot of 1st and 30, or third and 48s.
Posted By: Steubenvillian Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/09/21 11:45 PM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

no flag for holding.

It is amazing that #128 is looking right at the blatant hold, and does nothing.

If you key on him on Sundays, this happens in every game, and is never called. Think of it, when was the last time someone was called for holding him?
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/10/21 02:31 AM
There was one call for holding this past Sunday, but I swear it had been weeks of no-calls before that.
Drives my wife nuts. I literally scream at the TV, it's so blatantly obvious. That's why I posted the screen capture: a pic's worth a thousand words.

And yo- I put it up on my fb page, too. It's bound to get more traffic/attention there than a smallish, intimate site like this.
They are keeping this young man from revolutionizing the position like Bruce Smith did years ago. Myles would make OT's and OG's better through evolution, and that makes The Game better.

These refs are screwing not only Myles and CLE fans, they are screwing the future of football.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/10/21 02:35 AM
I almost believe that the nfl doesn’t want him single-handedly wrecking games. I mean, if they called a hold every time he’s held, there’d be a lot of 1st and 30, or third and 48s.

If they called even 1/3 of them, it would substantially change a game's field position every week. I could see 3 or 4 calls/game, he's held so often.
Posted By: WSU Willie Re: Post Game Thoughts - 11/10/21 01:44 PM
If he was a Steeler...Cowboy...Raider...etc...he'd get those calls regularly.
© DawgTalkers.net