DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Haus NFL Trivia - 12/07/19 12:38 PM
I thought this would make for a fun thread.

Hypothetical situation:

On Sunday, the Browns elect to receive, and take their opening drive for a touchdown. Then Freddie is feeling a little frisky, and decides to go for two.

Baker throws it into the flat, but it's picked off and the Bengals defender is running the other way. Just before he can return it, Landry catches up to him and knocks the ball away at the Browns 1-yard line, where the ball remains. OBJ scoops it up, but he runs back into the Browns endzone, and is tackled there for a safety.

What's the score?
Posted By: Tulsa Re: NFL Trivia - 12/07/19 01:24 PM
6 - 1
Posted By: dawg66 Re: NFL Trivia - 12/07/19 03:02 PM
I believe on a 2pt conversion once the ball is intercepted the play is dead so the score would be 6-0.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: NFL Trivia - 12/08/19 04:44 AM
In college, it's a one point safety. I think the same holds true in the pros.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: NFL Trivia - 12/08/19 11:41 AM
I’m not sure what the score would be honestly. Good question
Posted By: Haus Re: NFL Trivia - 12/08/19 01:19 PM
The score would indeed be 6-1.

Essentially, an extra point is worth 1 point, of course. If either team scores what would ordinarily be a touchdown, a try is worth 2 points.

Then what is at play in the scenario I laid out (rule 11 section 3 article 2) - If the try results in what would ordinarily be a safety against either team, one point is awarded to the opponent. https://www.sbnation.com/videos/2017/9/2...ok-brad-nessler

I'm not aware of a one point safety ever happening in the NFL, though this rule was added to the NFL in 2015. Previously the play would be ruled dead as soon as possession changed.

There have been (2) one point safeties in college football in recent memory. Both of these happened on blocked extra points, where the defender recovered the ball and retreated back into their endzone, where they were tackled for a safety. So the offense was rewarded with the point and got their 'normal' 7 points.

I don't know of the 1 point safety ever happening - at any level - where the offense is tackled for a safety (on the other side of the field) and the defense is awarded 1 point.

if it does happen, I'd love to watch and listen as the announcers describe what just happened.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: NFL Trivia - 12/08/19 10:30 PM
1 point.
Posted By: ExclDawg Re: NFL Trivia - 12/09/19 12:29 AM
© DawgTalkers.net