DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Ballpeen March Madness - 03/08/22 12:47 PM
I guess it is that time of year. Maybe a bit early, but teams are starting to punch their tickets in to the dance, so I guess it starts here. Last night my local team, the Chattanooga Mocs punched their ticket in oh so spectacular, March madness fashion. I figure this is a fitting way to start the thread. Go Mocs!

Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/08/22 04:18 PM
Love March Madness even though my Buckeyes are struggling right now they will be in the Tournament and with a little rest who knows ... GO BUCKEYES smile
Posted By: jfanent Re: March Madness - 03/08/22 04:43 PM
That was awesome!
Posted By: Frenchy Re: March Madness - 03/08/22 05:41 PM
Was watching that Chattanooga game live when that shot was made. I thought at first it came up short and just hit the net.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: March Madness - 03/08/22 05:47 PM
Being who I am it's hard for me not to root for the little guy. I hope they do well in the tournament.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/08/22 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Being who I am it's hard for me not to root for the little guy. I hope they do well in the tournament.

Obviously I do as well. At one time I had season tickets, but gave then up a few seasons ago. I still went down to 4 games this past season. I started thinking then that I might get some next year. It's just a fun time and a good level of basketball. They are cheap enough that if I don't feel like going to a few games I won't feel like I left money on the table. A good number of good pro's have come out of the Southern Conference, so it is a good game to watch.

We are actually pretty solid and the thinking is we should probably get a #12 seed. We'll see.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: March Madness - 03/08/22 07:04 PM
I root for two things every year for March Madness. First, obviously, if the Terps are in it I root for them... the second thing I root for is chaos. I don't want chalk, I don't want high seeds advancing.... I want upsets, dramatic upsets, and lots of them.

People often point out to me that Kentucky vs Duke is such a much better final 4 game than Chattanooga vs Coastal Carolina.. and I just disagree. It might be better basketball from a talent/technical perspective... but it's not nearly as entertaining. And I watch it to be entertained.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: March Madness - 03/08/22 07:35 PM
Well with all that said, I'm big Kentucky basketball fan. It was ingrained in me from childhood. My dad passed away in the 90's and in honor of him it's a family tradition I just can't let go of.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/10/22 03:02 PM
Conference tournaments are almost as entertaining to me. The mid majors are fun to watch
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/10/22 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
I root for two things every year for March Madness. First, obviously, if the Terps are in it I root for them... the second thing I root for is chaos. I don't want chalk, I don't want high seeds advancing.... I want upsets, dramatic upsets, and lots of them.

I agree except the Buckeyes first then Chaos and the Mid-Major Upsets ...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/11/22 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Conference tournaments are almost as entertaining to me. The mid majors are fun to watch
They really are. For those teams, the only real way in to the tournament is to win the conference championship. It's all or nothing for those teams, even if a team that loses really deserves a seeding as a non-conference champ.

In the big conferences, it not uncommon for 4-5-6 teams to get a seeding. I am not saying they shouldn't get a seeding, just saying for some teams that for whatever reason lose their conference championship in some upset should still be considered.

In our championship, we beat Furman both times in the regular season. If we lost the other night, it would have been a shame because we have beaten some good teams and or played several others to single digit outcomes.

Furman is a good team. They beat Louisville, and lost to Belmont and Miss St by single digit scores.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: March Madness - 03/11/22 04:31 AM
I think the tournament will show that teams need offense to win.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: March Madness - 03/11/22 05:07 PM
Yeah, they're probably going to need to score in order to win.
Posted By: DCDAWGFAN Re: March Madness - 03/11/22 06:47 PM
Yeah, they're probably going to need to score in order to win.
So then pick Iowa to win it all? They have some flaws to their game but when they get rolling, their shooting range is from anywhere "in the building".
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: March Madness - 03/11/22 07:16 PM
Nah. I mean if you don't score you end up with zero. You won't win like that.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/12/22 12:04 PM
Nah. I mean if you don't score you end up with zero. You won't win like that.

True. The converse is if you play really good D and the other team scores zero, you are going to have a really long overtime game.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: March Madness - 03/12/22 05:50 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/12/22 07:32 PM
Tough penalty. I am not even sure what was posted.
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/13/22 03:36 AM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Tough penalty. I am not even sure what was posted.

Fairly vulgar video that was basically just smack talk, but had a lot of curse words geared towards the other MAC teams... dunno how I feel about this... on one hand it appeared to be basic smack talk... on the other, it was posted publicly on social media, so I get why the league felt they needed to suspend them... sad to see though...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/13/22 12:14 PM
Maybe just kids being kids, but I understand a league commissioner having to draw a line somewhere.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: March Madness - 03/13/22 05:13 PM
That's the thing about kids. If they aren't made to pay consequences for their actions when they're kids, it's hard to expect them to ever act like adults. Our society is full of such evidence.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: March Madness - 03/13/22 05:16 PM
That's the thing about kids. If they aren't made to pay consequences for their actions when they're kids, it's hard to expect them to ever act like adults. Our society is full of such evidence.

Absolutely. We have undsciplined kids having kids, and then they have kids, and we're now in this mess. It is completely unsurprising.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/14/22 12:57 PM
A quick guess for me at the final 4:

Gonzaga, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/14/22 02:41 PM
A quick guess for me at the final 4:

Gonzaga, Arizona, Kansas, Kentucky

Not scientific by any means, but I have to throw out Arizona. Even though they are good, they always seem to get bumped out in the 1st or 2nd round.

Several people list Chattanooga as a Cinderella team. We'll see. We do have a good team, but Illinois is pretty solid.

We can shoot and our center played a big role in a final 4 as a freshman with Kansas several years back, so we have players who can ball out.
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/15/22 01:21 AM

plus they are technically young adults...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/16/22 12:53 PM
Tennessee is easily a team I can see winning it. My big fear with them: do they have enough in the tank? Just went through a grueling week of games and emotion.

Rick Barnes seems like a good dude too
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/17/22 12:49 PM
What a game last night between Rutgers/ND … double OT and a thriller
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/17/22 05:37 PM
Looks Like Key and Young will play for OSU ... GO BUCKEYES thumbsup
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/17/22 06:30 PM
I agree.. I can see them winning it all if they play like they did in the SEC tourney... they also have a chip on their shoulder getting a 3 seed when they should have had a 2
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/17/22 06:30 PM
S. Dakota and Providence has been a great game!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/17/22 08:58 PM
Tennessee is easily a team I can see winning it. My big fear with them: do they have enough in the tank? Just went through a grueling week of games and emotion.

Rick Barnes seems like a good dude too

Barnes is a good guy and a good coach.

The Vols looked pretty solid today be it against a weak team. The Vols have shooting and size. They should match with anyone. Next up for them on Saturday is Michigan. Should be a good game.
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/17/22 11:20 PM
Friggin Iowa... think I had then in the sweet 16...
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/18/22 01:20 AM
UK/St. Peters going to OT!
Posted By: Frenchy Re: March Madness - 03/18/22 01:22 AM
UK vs Saint Peters going to OT, great game so far. Indiana getting blown out by Saint Mary’s, thought Ind would lose but not by 30.
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/18/22 01:30 AM
Originally Posted by Frenchy
UK vs Saint Peters going to OT, great game so far. Indiana getting blown out by Saint Mary’s, thought Ind would lose but not by 30.

I was hoping IU would pull it out but they look like they've given up...
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/18/22 01:41 AM
Kentucky goes down to St. Peters !!!
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/18/22 04:06 AM
Akron falling apart late... come on Zips
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/18/22 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
Looks Like Key and Young will play for OSU ... GO BUCKEYES thumbsup

Good. I am no longer a big OSU fan having gone to school and lived in SEC country for 50 years now, but I still like OSU and no matter the team, I don't like to see them hampered by injuries this time of year. I like for everybody to be able to give it their best shot with their top players available.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/18/22 06:27 PM
OSU 54 SISTER JEAN 41 NEXT GAME SUNDAY VS WINNER OF VILLINOVA/DELAWARE
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/19/22 02:52 PM
As of now, I see Tennessee vs Texas Tech for whatever reason. I think they’re playing the best .. now watch them both lose this round wink
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/19/22 04:30 PM
I'll be pulling for Tennesse at this point. The Mocs lost by a point to Illinois last night. Tough loss, but they deserved to lose. Missed way too many free throws by guys who usually make them. It is what it is.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: March Madness - 03/19/22 06:35 PM
Damn Baylor was down 25 with about 9 minutes to go. UNC had a player ejected and Baylor has rolled since. 80-80 with 15 seconds to go. What a game.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/19/22 08:38 PM
Kansas and Creighton has been a good game. I think KU pulls away here but still
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/19/22 08:42 PM
Lady Buckeyes pull a tough win against Missouri St. 63-57 who had won 21 in a row and been to 2 straight sweet 16's ...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/19/22 10:13 PM
Tennessee/Michigan has been a good game thus far
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/19/22 10:40 PM
It is a good game.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/19/22 10:52 PM
Right now the Big Ten is 6-3 ...
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 04:52 AM
holy cow!!! Was gone all day so didn't see anything live... Baylor and Teen losing are HUGE surprises to me... thought they were LOCKS for the sweet 16
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 09:41 AM
I think it is safe to say a lot of brackets are rapidly blowing up.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 02:33 PM
Saint Peters is a fun team
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 05:22 PM
Go Buckeyes beat Villanova ...
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 05:45 PM
Saint Peters is a fun team

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 05:46 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 06:00 PM
March Madness

Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 07:26 PM
There have been some really questionable calls this weekend
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 08:15 PM
Not saying OSU would win but the refs have been questionable towards Villanova to say the least ...
Posted By: Frenchy Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 11:14 PM
This Duke/Michigan St game is really good. Possibly Coach K’s last game.
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/20/22 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by Frenchy
This Duke/Michigan St game is really good. Possibly Coach K’s last game.

That was a great game... wasn't sure who I wanted to win.... so far only one Big Ten team and one SEC team have made the sweet 16...
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/21/22 12:46 AM
not a notre dame fan but they are getting screwed by the refs...
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: March Madness - 03/21/22 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by jaybird
not a notre dame fan but they are getting screwed by the refs...

The officiating has been an embarrassment throughout the whole tournament, especially NC and Baylor.
Posted By: pfm1963 Re: March Madness - 03/21/22 01:47 AM
Plus the college game has allowed too much physicality into the game.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: March Madness - 03/21/22 04:02 AM
TCU/Arizona another great game. This weekend had been really good for college basketball!!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/21/22 09:53 AM
Glad to see Coch K and Duke move forward. A storybook career with a storybook ending?
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/21/22 02:46 PM
I’m not really a Duke fan, but down the stretch I found myself wanting them to win. Maybe just some nostalgia and wanting to see coach K continue on
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/26/22 01:58 AM
The 15th seeded Peacocks are going to the Elite 8!!!!! They are my new favorite team!! Go ST. PETE'S!!!!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/26/22 09:09 AM
No doubt a story sweeping the nation. Hard to not root for them. Most community colleges have a larger student body.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 03/26/22 09:36 AM
The Peacocks are incredible
Posted By: jfanent Re: March Madness - 03/26/22 02:19 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: March Madness - 03/26/22 11:22 PM
It worked out that I haven't watched 10 minutes of it this year, and I don't care who wins it all, or even who is remaining.
It's interrupting "Jeopardy." !
Posted By: Squires Re: March Madness - 03/27/22 03:15 AM
The 15th seeded Peacocks are going to the Elite 8!!!!! They are my new favorite team!! Go ST. PETE'S!!!!

My bracket is shot. I'm pulling for them.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 03/27/22 05:46 PM
Why not St. Peters ... Still I think its all set up for Coach K and Duke Legitimately or not Legitimate willynilly
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 03/28/22 01:07 AM
St. Pete finally ran out of steam... defense just couldn't contain the Tar Heels... today's games were pretty boring from a neutral fan stand point...

on the flip side... we get to see UNC/Duke in the Final Four... first time they've met in the tourney and it's Coach K's last finals... should be interesting... felt bad for the kid from Villanova... knew as soon as he went down that he ruptured his achilles... will be interesting to see if they can over come that as a team... I'm guessing Duke and Kansas in the final... though UNC looked pretty good the last two games.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 03/28/22 08:37 AM
Kansas really dominated the 2nd half of the game. It was a magical run, but it crashed down against Kansas.

I guess at this point it would be the magic ending for coach K to go out on top, Duke fan or not. Right now, Kansas looks pretty tough to beat.
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 04/04/22 02:11 AM
Congrats to the South Carolina Women.... I don't watch a lot of women's basketball, but when I did watch South Carolina has dominated every game I've watched this year.... watched most of the game tonight and it was never in doubt... anytime UConn made a comeback USC just shut them down... very impressive...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 04/04/22 10:06 AM
They did look good.

As for the men, I have to go with Kansas.

My hope is it doesn't turn in to a ref game. In other words, blow the whistle on a "foul, foul", not a "I think it was a foul, foul".
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 04/04/22 05:52 PM
My prediction tonight:

Kansas 77
UNC 70
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: March Madness - 04/04/22 07:22 PM
Kansas 81 UNC 68
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: March Madness - 04/04/22 07:36 PM
Kansas
Posted By: Hammer Re: March Madness - 04/04/22 09:32 PM
Tar Heels 79-76.
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 04/04/22 10:38 PM
Pulling for UNC but Kansas probably wins...
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: March Madness - 04/04/22 11:59 PM
Won't watch it ! a 9:20 start , seriously ! Screw TV
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 12:12 AM
Kind of where I'm at also.
Posted By: jaybird Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 01:09 AM
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

yeah -I'm central and even feel like a 8:20 start is ridiculous... should have started at least an hour earlier...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 09:35 AM

Same, but I woke up and caught the last 12 minutes or so.

Big come back for Kansas.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 12:08 PM
I stayed up and watched it. I was pulling for UNC, but it was a good game. The shooting was poor for both teams at times, but it was a competitive game. It wasn't as good as the UNC/Duke game, but it was still a good game.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 01:25 PM
j/c...

Good game. Heck of a run for UNC.

Great game for UNC bettors (me)! Brutal for KU bettors. I can only imagine the tens and tens of millions lost when the KU player stepped out of bounds on the inbound pass at the very end. All the KU -4 bettors had to be losing their minds.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 11:17 PM
I missed a good game because it is more import ant for the west coast people to see the whole game, as always . Missing the first quarter or two isn't nearly as bad as missing the most important parts of the game, and that's the last parts of the game, unless it's a blow out from the beginning.

I wake up a 4:00 am for work , being able to see the exciting ending is more important then the first few quarters.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 11:20 PM
4:00 AM. That's brutal, bro!
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 11:37 PM
It sucks Vers ! lol
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: March Madness - 04/05/22 11:44 PM
I know.........my wife is 71 and still gets up at 4 to get ready for work. She has to drive 45 minutes to the hospital, though.
Posted By: Squires Re: March Madness - 04/06/22 02:04 AM

yeah -I'm central and even feel like a 8:20 start is ridiculous... should have started at least an hour earlier...

Mountain time is best time zone for sports.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 04/06/22 12:09 PM
I missed a good game because it is more import ant for the west coast people to see the whole game, as always . Missing the first quarter or two isn't nearly as bad as missing the most important parts of the game, and that's the last parts of the game, unless it's a blow out from the beginning.

I wake up a 4:00 am for work , being able to see the exciting ending is more important then the first few quarters.

No disagreements there, Bubba.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: March Madness - 04/06/22 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Squires

Mountain time is best time zone for sports.

I might agree with that. Central isn't bad.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: March Madness - 04/06/22 04:26 PM
Kansas turned it on during the last 20 minutes. They are clearly the better team and UNCs lack of depth caught up to them.

I’m ready for the NCAA to move the start time to (at minimum) 8:30 ET. Having it at 9:20 is brutal.
© DawgTalkers.net