DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Frenchy The Guardians - 09/14/22 04:46 PM
Since the other thread was locked, figured I would start a new one.

Well the Guardians magic number is 19. Crazy to think about at the beginning of the season, they would actually have a magic number. Go Guards!!!
Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 09/14/22 06:06 PM
I thought 19 was the number of games Tito has been ejected..lol
Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 09/14/22 08:07 PM
Magic number is now 18, with the win over the Angels today 5-3. Guards have now won 6 in a row.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/14/22 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Magic number is now 18, with the win over the Angels today 5-3. Guards have now won 6 in a row.

Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 09/14/22 09:34 PM
With the Sox losing, magic number is now 17. Go Guards!!!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/15/22 02:44 PM
Given their injury situation, and the overall youth and inexperience of the team, this is nothing less than miraculous. They aren't stopping, aren't giving up. They just continue to play good, solid, fundamental baseball. If there is a better manager in all of baseball than Francona, I don't know who it is. He has definitely gotten all there is to get out of this young team. Our front office also deserves a ton of credit. People complain that we don't spend like the Yankees, but we make smart trades, and have drafted well.

I wonder how the Sporting News feels about picking us last in the ALC? wink CBS had the ALC with Cleveland in 4th, overall, with 1 3rd and 1 5th prediction. ESPN and FOX each had us missing the playoffs. (which could still happen, if the team doesn't continue to play hard and smart, but I don't see it happening)

I love this team, and if they win a playoff series this year, I will even call them by their new name. crazy wink
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/17/22 02:09 AM
j/c...

What a game!

Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 09/17/22 02:18 AM
Magic number now 16, maybe less depending on the sox/tiger game
Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 09/17/22 02:31 AM
Make that magic number 15, Tigers beat the sox
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: The Guardians - 09/17/22 02:31 AM
I love the team and the way they love playing with each other.

I've heard from some that if they win the WS or a Play off game they will call them the Guardians and not the Indians or Tribe.

I call them the Guardians now ! Want to know why ? Because they

Want us to, They want to be the Guardians ! and that's who they are to me !

They want to make their own identity and make the Guardians special !

Play ball boys !!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/17/22 02:31 AM
Tigers beat the Sox, so the magic number keeps creeping lower .... laugh
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 09/17/22 06:36 AM
Great game to watch
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 09/17/22 11:57 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 04:07 AM
j/c...

This game is bonkers.

Was up at the day game today to watch Bieber pitch.

Need to win this one.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 04:40 AM
Unreal...

Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 04:43 AM
Magic number I think is 13
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 04:48 AM

I believe it was 13 after game 1 ..... and that it is now 12. laugh
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan

I believe it was 13 after game 1 ..... and that it is now 12. laugh

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 05:03 AM
So it is.

Quite unexpected by most people. This young team just doesn't give up though.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 09:30 AM
Quite a day for the tribe
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 10:22 AM
I am up for the Browns game and sticking around for the Steelers on Thursday night. The Guards have a rain make-up tomorrow against the Twins at 1. We plan on going but will have to see what happens with the weather. Calling for a pretty good chance of showers. Being a rain date, they will do everything possible to squeeze it in.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 11:45 AM
Tom Hamilton: ‘The most incredible, unexpected baseball season’ – Terry Pluto’s Guardians Scribbles

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians...on-terry-plutos-guardians-scribbles.html

By Terry Pluto, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook as the Guardians hang on to first place in the Central Division:

1. I was talking baseball with Tom Hamilton, the Guardians veteran radio broadcaster. He mentioned how much fun it was doing the games this season with MLB’s youngest team having 30 come-from-behind victories.

2. “This is the most incredible, unexpected (Cleveland) baseball season I can remember,” said Hamilton, who has been doing the game since 1990. “This is unprecedented, being in first place in the middle of September with baseball’s youngest team. We’ve had 15 guys playing the majors for the first time. This is unheard of.”

3. Hamilton and I have a theory. The turning point in the Guardians season came with the first of many unexpected pleasant surprises – Jose Ramirez signing a 7-year contract extension.

4. “It was April 5 in Goodyear,” said Hamilton. “We got on the plane and Jose was with us. If he and (owner) Paul Dolan had not worked out a contract, Jose probably would have been traded. Who knows how the season would have gone. But with Jose staying, it’s like it brought the team together.”

5. Ramirez entered the weekend batting .279 (.881 OPS) with 27 HR and 111 RBI. He leads the American League with 41 doubles. He’s stolen 15 bases. He’s missed only four games. His enthusiastic, hard-driving personality fuels the team. He’s the only established veteran hitter in the lineup.

6. Hamilton and I share something else – we love Oscar Gonzales. “How can you not?” asked Hamilton. “He’s a great kid. He loves the game. He has power. He’s hitting and he’s still figuring it out.” Gonzalez entered the weekend batting .297 (.819 OPS) with 9 HR and 24 doubles in 71 games.

7. This has been a season of fun stories. There has been the rise of Steven Kwan. Hamilton recalled how for years Cleveland has been looking for outfielders. Now they have Myles Straw, Kwan and Gonzalez. They also have prospects Will Benson, Will Brennan, Nolan Jones, George Valera and Richie Palacios. “We have a lot more prospects coming,” said Hamilton. “That’s the great part of this. There’s a lot to look forward to down the line.”

8. Finally, Hamilton added this: “There is no better manager than Tito (Francona) and no better coaching staff in baseball than what we have here. I find it hard to believe anyone else but Tito and his staff could have squeezed this much out of a young team like ours.”

ABOUT THE GUARDIANS

1. The Guardians aren’t sure if the future for Cody Morris is in the starting rotation or the bullpen, but it’s very bright. In 9 2/3 innings in Cleveland, Morris has fanned nine. He’s also walked eight, but pitched his way out of trouble. His ERA is 2.79.

2. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound Morris has the look of a bullish starting pitcher. In his last two seasons in the minors, he has struck out 132 in 82 1/3 innings, compared to 50 hits and 26 walks. His ERA is 1.51. A seventh-round pick in 2018 out of South Carolina, Morris has had several injuries so a key will be staying healthy. But that power arm will fit in somewhere.

3. One of the least-told, most remarkable stories on the team is Sam Hentges, a fourth-round pick in 2014. The big lefty was supposed to be a starter. In the minors, he had a 4.36 ERA. In 2019, he reached Class AA Akron, where he was 2-13 with a 5.11 ERA. He pitched only 4 1/3 innings in Class AAA, then came to Cleveland in 2021: His record was 1-4 with a 6.68 ERA.

4. Francona and the coaching staff believed the bullpen was the answer. Simplfy things. Throw hard. Throw strikes. Use that sharp breaking ball. He is 3-2 with a 2.65 ERA this season. I’m amazed. He was wild until this season, but now has cut down his walks at the age of 26.

5. The Guardians believe Hunter Gaddis was probably tipping his pitches when he gave up five HR in four innings in Thursday’s loss to the White Sox. Gaddis has thrown only 241 minor league innings. He’s never pitched above Class A until this season. Between Class AA and AAA this season, he has a 4.15 ERA in 111 innings. He has allowed 16 HR. Inexperienced pitchers were pressed into duty because of the injuries to Zach Plesac and Aaron Civale. Like Hentges, the 24-year-old Gaddis probably needs time to find his best role and gain experience to be successful in the majors.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 12:13 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 12:20 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 02:36 PM
T
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

That's out of date.

After last night, Chicago is 4.5 back, and the Twinkies are 7 games back. (and all but out)
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/18/22 02:53 PM
Big ouch for the Twins.

Guards are in great shape.

I went to the Braves game last night and kept up with the scores.

When I got home 5-0 after seven. I'm thinking oh this is looking good man.

Look again at play by play and it is 5-5. I made it to 12. Fell asleep. Got up at 2am. Checked and saw the win.

Future is so bright gotta wear shades.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/19/22 11:23 PM
Speaking of 12 ...... That's what Cleveland's magic number is as of today.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/20/22 12:34 PM
Went to the stadium yesterday. Once we went up 7-3 end of 6 it was time to leave. I saw we scored 4 more in the 8th.

Nice win v the Twins. Guards in the drivers seat at this point 4 games up on the White Sox. Now we have the Sox on the road for 3 big games. It would be nice to grab at least 2 games to add one more game up. At minimum win 1 game to only drop a game.
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 09/20/22 02:16 PM
Next up, 4 game series with the white sox.

We are currently up 4 games with 15 remaining
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 09/20/22 06:15 PM
I’m jealous. I would love to make it to a game. Happy you were able to see a good game by the G’s
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/20/22 07:03 PM
White Sox have the edge in the pitching matchups the first two games.

Then Beiber pitches and thye have the edge.

Need one game. Two would pad the lead. Three wins would set them up pretty.

Fingers crossed.

Braves and Mets looks like down to the wire. The three game series looms large.

I am all in on both teams.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/20/22 07:12 PM
Guardians need to win one game this series. Accomplish that and they win the season series against the White Sox. The Guardians would then own the tiebreaker for the division title.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/20/22 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Guardians need to win one game this series. Accomplish that and they win the season series against the White Sox. The Guardians would then own the tiebreaker for the division title.

I agree. No doubt we want to win 2-3, but winning 1 only drops one game in the standings.

I know we have some games against the Rays and KC down the stretch. Not sure about the Sox.

It doesn't really matter. Just keep winning and it take care of itself.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 04:04 AM
5-3 in the 10th
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 04:14 AM
Aaaand, there's the blown save.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 04:15 AM
Clase was automatic for most of the season. I think I'd give him a week off and se if he can reset himself.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 04:33 AM
Guardians now up 9-5 in the 11th, still one on and 2 out.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 04:36 AM
Tribe up 10-5, with the Sox coming to bat in the bottom of the 11th.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 04:50 AM
Final Cleveland 10 - Sox 7.

Tribe now with a 5 game lead in the ALC, and a magic number of 10, IIRC 9. Sorry laugh
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 11:11 AM
[quote=YTownBrownsFan]Final Cleveland 10 - Sox 7.

Tribe now with a 5 game lead in the ALC, and a magic number of 10, IIRC 9. Sorry laugh[/quote}

Nice win.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 01:32 PM
Magic number decreasing. Guards are on fire
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 02:01 PM
The Guardians are incredibly resiliant. Down 3-1 and cam back to tie it up the next inning. Blow the lead in the 10th to have the game tied back up at 5-5. Proceed to blow the doors open in the top of the 11th to take a 10-5 lead. The Guardians broke the White Sox that inning. Rosario stole 3rd base and Moncado was so defeated he never covered the bag, didn't see the catcher throw the ball and Rosario waltzed in for the 10th run.

The Guardians didn't allow the blown call by the ump in 7th inning when Rosario scored but was called out at the plate to get them down.

Man does this team play hard and run the hell out of the bases.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 02:04 PM
Great win.

Dodgers payroll $203m

Guardians payroll $57m.

Not sure if many understand how hard it is to overcome that kind of difference.

Amazing accomplishment by the Guardians. It is damn shame ownership is so weak.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Magic number decreasing. Guards are on fire

Actually, it would decrease more than YTBF mentioned since we won and the Sox lost. It would have been a 2 game swing last night.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 02:36 PM
Tito is the straw that stirs that drink. Easily the best manager they've had. If he had the payroll Hargrove had to work with we'd have a few rings by now IMO
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 06:00 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Tito is the straw that stirs that drink. Easily the best manager they've had. If he had the payroll Hargrove had to work with we'd have a few rings by now IMO

Maybe, maybe not. Tito is good at getting the most out of players. I am not sure that with the players Grover had you could get all that much more. That lineup was stacked. I don't think that Hargrove made dumb decisions that got covered by his players talent.

I will say that Hargrove probably wouldn't have this team in 1st place.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 08:05 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 08:31 PM
Nice cup of coffee move for a top prospect.

As long as we are in a pennant race I don't know how much we will play the kid. Hopefully we can stretch this out a bit more, because this isn't over, and allow the kid to get some starts and at bats.

A nice reward for a nice job at AAA and a good jump for the kid heading in to spring training. It's big time for the player. If nothing else his name makes the almanac with 1 at bat or mound appearance, which never goes away. You can always say you played in the big leagues and can point to the almanac to prove it..good for him.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/21/22 08:56 PM
Arias has been playing quite a bit of first base lately in the minors. Maybe he can end the Owen Miller experience. Brennan has been mashing down in the minors. Love to see the Guardians give these young guys opportunities. Brennan is in the lineup tonight.

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/22/22 01:07 AM
Cleveland up 5-0 going to the bottom of the 3rd.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/22/22 01:16 AM
6-0 Tribe
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/22/22 01:59 AM
8-1 in the 7th, after a Josh Naylor HR.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/22/22 02:28 AM
McKenzie is dealing. 13 strikeouts.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/22/22 02:46 AM
Cleveland wins 8-2. Magic number at 7. laugh
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/22/22 02:47 AM
Guardians a winner. Magic # is now 7.

Fun listening to Kipnis in the booth tonight.

Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/22/22 03:33 PM
They are about as close to the finish as the Browns were to victory Sunday.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 09/22/22 05:50 PM
j/c:

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 02:46 AM
Magic number now to 5. Cleveland sweeps the Sox. laugh
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 03:48 AM
Playoff percentage 99.9

🤪
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 04:02 AM
Tribe pitching... ONE WALK in the three game series.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 11:33 AM
What a week for the Guards!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 03:39 PM
j/c...

Just bought my tickets to game 2 of the Wild Card series and game 2 of the ALDS (should they advance). Cannot wait for postseason baseball!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 06:02 PM
Love it!
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by FATE
Playoff percentage 99.9

🤪

This is where the Browns would say "Hold my beer."
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 07:13 PM
j/c

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 07:26 PM
Congrats on your Guardians! Looks like they will win the AL central!

My Braves are in a battle with the Mets in the NL East.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 08:07 PM
I think the Braves and Mets will come down to the last day
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/23/22 09:21 PM
I am so proud of the Guards. Damn.

At the trade deadline I was really angry. It felt like the ownership and management gave up on a good young team. Contreras was there for trade. Zip, nada, nothing.

No move at all.

And this team keep chugging. Get down. Come back.

When it was crunch time. They delivered.

Bravo
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 01:32 AM
j/c...

How the Guardians turned the AL Central race into a one-team sprint

Jesse Rogers
ESPN Staff Writer

On the first day of spring training, Terry Francona called for a meeting with Jose Ramirez. That conversation between a manager and his star third baseman, way back in March, would set the tone for the surprising success of the youngest team in baseball -- a Cleveland Guardians club that is on the verge of winning the American League Central.

Francona asked the ultra-talented Ramirez to simply play hard and with passion throughout the upcoming season because the Guardians weren't exactly constructed to homer their way to the postseason.

"I told him, 'This is how we have to play, everyone follows your lead,'" Francona recalled while sitting in the visitor's dugout at Guaranteed Rate Field in Chicago earlier this week. "And I said, 'If you don't do it, I can't ask a bunch of young guys to do it.'"

Ramirez was already known by his teammates to play 'with his hair on fire' and they have followed suit, specializing in a brand of baseball built around contact, running the bases and playing defense that is atypical in 2022.

The results have been near historic for a roster of players whose average age is just 26 years old. The Guardians are on track to become the youngest team in the wild-card era to not only make the postseason but also to win a division.

"I don't know if you can put an age on being competitive," Francona said.

And even before the team proved anything this season, Cleveland's brass knew one thing about its squad going into 2022: It was going to be full of opportunity for a group of talented young players.

"We made some deliberate choices, even going back to the offseason, to give some of these young players opportunities to go out and contribute," president of baseball operations Chris Antonetti said. "To their credit, a lot of them have stepped forward and made a meaningful impact."

But as Francona says, no one has a 'crystal ball' and it came together faster than anyone could have expected. Except maybe the Guardians' star player himself.

"Those guys are very talented," Ramirez said through the team interpreter. "They won a lot in the minors so they know how to win. I'm not surprised by their performance this year."

Second baseman Andres Gimenez, shortstop Amed Rosario and left fielder Steven Kwan are three of those players who have become major contributors at a young age.

The two infielders came to Cleveland together in a blockbuster trade for Francisco Lindor, while Kwan was a little-known fifth-round pick in 2018. Batting leadoff, Kwan has set the table for a lineup that ranks 29th in home runs but has also struck out fewer times than any team in the majors.

"It's refreshing to see that kind of baseball," Kwan said. "It starts with Tito [Francona]. He felt if we had a chance, we had to play the game the right way. We've been taking that to heart."

Kwan called Francona the "GOAT" for his managing style. One of the 63-year-old veteran manager's best traits, according to those who know him best, is his ability to adapt a team to maximize its strengths while minimizing its weaknesses.

The young Guardians have learned winning baseball while dealing with the grind of a long season. It's not an easy task and Francona has prodded when the moment has called for it. Kwan recalled a time after a win over Minnesota.

"He called me into his office, which he normally doesn't do," Kwan said. "And he pulls up a video and it's a runner on first and I hit a single to right. The runner goes first to third and the right fielder sails the ball and I'm standing on first.

"He asks me why I didn't take second base? I told him I hadn't had a hit in while and I got to first and I was happy to be there. He was like 'No kid, that's not what we're about. If we're going to do this we're going to do it the right way.'

"That stayed with me."

Mixed in with those teachable moments, Cleveland's clubhouse has been filled with lively celebrations fueled by a handful of dramatic victories, including several huge come-from-behind wins and extra-inning affairs. Perhaps none defined Cleveland's season better than an early May thriller when the Guardians used a six-run ninth to pull even with the White Sox 8-8 before a three-run 11th sealed the deal. An emotional Josh Naylor hit home runs in both innings and it proved to the youth in Cleveland that they could go toe-to-toe with the reigning division winner.

Those kinds of victories began to pile up, including a 15-inning win last Saturday over Minnesota and another 11-inning one on Tuesday in Chicago. In fact, the Guardians beat up their division rivals during the entire season, combining to go 24-13 against their closest competitors and 12-4 in extra innings overall.

"Everyone is saying we're not supposed to be doing this," starter Shane Bieber said. "And maybe that was the story coming in early. But not now. It's a different brand of baseball, and we're enjoying playing it, and we're doing it really well."

Bieber smiled and nodded his head when Ramirez's name came up. Clubhouse conversations often lead back to the five-tool player.

"What I find so special and invaluable about him is the way he plays the game," Bieber said. "It's hard to put into words. For our superstar to play the way he does, with that infectious energy, and putting his body on the line and doing it every day, with the intent to win, he really sets the tone."

Ramirez is a first-to-third machine, yet another way he epitomizes the Guardians' unique brand of baseball. In their just completed series against the White Sox, Cleveland basically ran them out of contention for the division title.

"It might be a little frustrating for our opponents and when you have so many young guys watching him [Ramirez] hustle like that, they think, 'Why can't I do that?'" Bieber said.

They can and they have. Not surprisingly, the Guardians lead the league in going from first to third on a single. It's just one trait which has them poised for an October run. Cleveland has five players with 15 or more stolen bases, the most in baseball and the most for the franchise since 1919.

"They are young but they don't back down from challenges," Francona said. "All the things that we've tried to live by, they try to do it."

Shaw believes the foundation was set years ago while Cleveland was going through its last window of contention. It included a World Series appearance in 2016. Several current players were in the minors or entering the organization at the time -- and now are on the verge of getting their first chance to play in the postseason.

"Tito has been at the helm the entire run," Shaw said. "We were winning and everyone saw how it's done. Now it's happening again."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34642999/how-guardians-took-control-al-central-division-race
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 03:30 AM
j/c...

Awesome stuff.

Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 03:42 AM
Guardians win again, and the Sox and Twins both lose.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 03:44 AM
Guardians win again, and the Sox and Twins both lose.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 04:12 AM
Ramirez is a first-to-third machine, yet another way he epitomizes the Guardians' unique brand of baseball. In their just completed series against the White Sox, Cleveland basically ran them out of contention for the division title.

"It might be a little frustrating for our opponents and when you have so many young guys watching him [Ramirez] hustle like that, they think, 'Why can't I do that?'" Bieber said.

They can and they have. Not surprisingly, the Guardians lead the league in going from first to third on a single. It's just one trait which has them poised for an October run. Cleveland has five players with 15 or more stolen bases, the most in baseball and the most for the franchise since 1919.

"They are young but they don't back down from challenges," Francona said. "All the things that we've tried to live by, they try to do it."

It's a beautiful sight watching this team run the bases. Guardians stole four bases tonight.

Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 05:37 AM
The Kinderguardians are kicking butt and playing great baseball
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 09:22 AM
Turned it on at the right time
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 10:39 AM
Nice read.

In an era of waiting for 3 run homeruns, it's refreshing to see a team play station to station, create runs baseball. Hitting homers isn't the only way to score 4-5-6 runs. A walk, bunt and single can score a run.

If you don't have 4-5 guys throughout the lineup who can legit hit 30+ homers and drive the gaps you best play some small ball.

Today you have everybody thinking about launch angle. That's great for the true power hitter, but not so much for the other players. Today you have plenty of player who hit 20 or so homers but in doing so it costs 25 points on their batting average, so they hit 260 rather than 285.

A few studies have been made. The one I reference was by Ron Polk who coached at Mississippi State for many years. One of the best managers ever.

If a player hit nothing but ground balls. Everything from a bunt to a hot smash on the ground, the player would hit 300. If a player hit nothing but fly balls, everything from a weak foul ball pop-up to the catcher to looping single or the longest home run ever seen, you would hit 250.

If you hit nothing but line drives.. Anything from that liner that is caught by the 3rd baseman or that shot that never gets much over 20 feet high that is caught or just barely clears the fence, a player would hit 750.

It's pretty clear that line drives and ground balls is the way to play the game except when you are trying to lift the ball to allow a runner to tag, in which case it's a sac fly and doesn't count against your average. Except for the true power guys, this launch angle stuff is ruining hitters.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/24/22 11:04 AM
I remember when there was the question if Jose was going to be leaving.

My brother told me. He may quit being a fan of the team. Jose brings so much to the game. A unique player for sure.

You look at him physically and you would not think he can what he does.

He is a great player.

I sure hope people start to fill that stadium.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 01:41 AM
Cleveland wins 4-2, and the Sox are down 7-2 in the 8th. Could be down to a magic number of 1 in an hour or less. laugh
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 02:16 AM
Cleveland wins 4-2, and the Sox are down 7-2 in the 8th. Could be down to a magic number of 1 in an hour or less. laugh

Officially ONE!!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 02:41 AM
j/c...

Spongebob with two dingers on the night...

Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 03:01 AM
Loving these Guardians, play hard every game. Want anyone but Seattle, they give us problems.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 09:15 AM
One more to go …
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 11:45 AM
The Guardians are an amazing story.

To do what they have done with a $57 m payroll is astounding.

I am loving it. Win the first series then beat the Yankees. I would come unglued.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 07:24 PM
j/c...

Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 08:55 PM
Kwan with the SLAM in the 8th to put the Tribe up 10-2!!

That's gonna do it folks! It's nice to have nine games left to fine-tune and get some rest!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 08:57 PM
Kwan with the SLAM in the 8th to put the Tribe up 10-2!!

That's gonna do it folks! It's nice to have nine games left to fine-tune and get some rest!

Love it!

Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 08:58 PM
"His first major league salami!"
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 09:15 PM
Tigers beat the Sox 4-1

It's official!
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 09:20 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 09:20 PM
Tigers beat the Sox 4-1

It's official!

GoodFor Cleveland, Although I'm a Giants Fan, I root for Cleveland When My Giants are out.!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 09:32 PM
Opening Day lineup. Crazy to look at how much has changed since game 1. What a season!

Myles Straw CF
Amed Rosario LF-SS
Jose Ramirez 3B
Franmil Reyes DH
Bobby Bradley 1B
Owen Miller PH
Oscar Mercado LF
Yu Chang 2B-1B
Steven Kwan RF
Austin Hedges C
Andres Gimenez SS
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 09:45 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 09:53 PM
16 days ago, people! In the last sixteen days we are 16-2!

Posted By: boofers20 Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 09:58 PM
I just hope we aren't peaking too soon
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/25/22 11:35 PM
Just way to cool. 17 w's out of 20.

The story of baseball this season really is the Guards
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 04:08 AM
Very cool to see the fans show up for these guys. They deserve it. Plane just landed in Cleveland.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 09:11 AM
What a great story
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 12:37 PM
j/c:

I know this team has limited resources financially, but for those who routinely whine about payroll routinely miss the fact this is one of the best run sports franchises in the country.

Congrats, boys. What a great year and we seemingly have a great future with all of these youngsters.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 12:43 PM
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 02:25 PM
This team is both heartstopping and incredibly fun.

There have been a number of times where I have said to myself, "Well YTown, this game is over. They had to lose sometime. I'm going to feed the dog, and take him outside" ...... only to come back upstairs and see that they had another incredible finish.

14 rookies debuted for this team in 2022. They are younger than some every AAA teams. They play the game the right way. They keep the pressure on the opposing pitcher and defense. They go full out on every play. They never give up. They are on point with their fundamentals. Their pitching is still a strength, which is incredible, given the injuries their rotation has suffered over the year. They are resilient. In short, they are a perfect reflection of their manager, who, incidently, should/must be manager of the year.

I am still not a fan of the new name, but I will be won over if they win a postseason series. wink
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

I know this team has limited resources financially, but for those who routinely whine about payroll routinely miss the fact this is one of the best run sports franchises in the country.

Congrats, boys. What a great year and we seemingly have a great future with all of these youngsters.

I could make the argument that the Dolans are the best owners in town. Consistently put out a winning product. Six playoff appearances since 2013 and they are model of stability. They have not had a losing season since 2012 and have never had a losing season under Tito since he took over in 2013. Also, the Dolans never meddle in day to day operations.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 03:38 PM
Wait, I thought people said they suck?!
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 03:50 PM
I love the Browns and I like football.

But my soul belongs to baseball. It was my best sport. And I coached it at a pretty high level for ten years.

I am fascinated by the game. IMO there is no "game" like baseball. Of course that is a matter of opinion. But that is my opinion.

Last year I was treated to a World Series by the Braves. I was a Braves and Indians fan when I played Little League in Harrisburg Pa.

The Braves last season won 88 games. They got hot at the right time and a few guys (Eddie Rosario and Jorge Soler) played out their minds.

This Guardians team has that mojo. They got hot at crunch time. They have the Momentum.

I am hitched up for the ride.

The Braves and Mets are in choke holds against each other. Come Friday 3 games to decide the division.

Damn I love baseball.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 04:51 PM
Wahoo! Go, Tribe!

Sorry. Old habits die hard. . . .
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/26/22 08:01 PM
Posted By: hitt Re: The Guardians - 09/27/22 06:23 PM
Agree, baseball was my best sport- but I can't watch it often= too slow AND a dominate pitcher takes the fun away. I batted in hs against a guy throwing close to 100mph- I had good 20/20 and barely saw the ball. I was damn glad I walked/ and didn't get hit.

Really like the Guardians as a team- you are correct/ they never give up and have had some damn strange wins....GO Indians/Guardians.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/27/22 10:21 PM
j/c...

Happy ticket buying!

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/28/22 09:25 AM
I’m hoping that because they will probably play Seattle we will avoid the dreaded afternoon wildcard slots
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/28/22 11:17 AM
We should all draw pleasure when NY fans freak out.

For 170 of 173 days The NY Mets have held first place.

Not so fast NY. The NL East is tied with 7 games to go.

At stake is a by in the first round.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: The Guardians - 09/28/22 12:29 PM
Go Tribe!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 09/28/22 01:07 PM
As of now:

CLE vs SEA (winner plays NYY)
TOR v TB (winner plays HOU)
Posted By: shotty66 Re: The Guardians - 09/28/22 02:18 PM
can we say this is Titos best coaching?
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 09/28/22 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
We should all draw pleasure when NY fans freak out.

For 170 of 173 days The NY Mets have held first place.

Not so fast NY. The NL East is tied with 7 games to go.

At stake is a by in the first round.

Well, they'll be in Atlanta Friday night... should be an exciting series!
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 09/28/22 05:31 PM
Each and every game will count till the last day.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 09/30/22 04:00 AM
Another comeback 2-1 win.

On a side note, bought tickets today to game 1 of WC series. Now have Games 1 and 2 of WC. Also, Game 2 of ALDS. Hope other fans bought tickets as well to enjoy this team live and in-person!

Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: The Guardians - 09/30/22 01:09 PM
Amazing stats! Like the Guardian thingy. Clever that.

We might as well just win the whole thang. For The Land!
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 09/30/22 01:13 PM
I was wondering, we have had a lot of extra inning games and wins. Anybody kkow the record for those things and how we stack up?
Posted By: Bird Re: The Guardians - 09/30/22 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Wait, I thought people said they suck?!
Well, yeah, many people say that. There is some truth to it but it is not completely true. For me the underlying situation is that baseball is not just a game where ownership is billionaires. Now you have to be a multi-billionaire by a fairly significant amount if your goal is direct competition with NY or LA. That being said it is both fiscally responsible and a better way to build a team for a long run to do the dirty, day-to-day work of scouting for talent and developing that talent. While a NY may seem to be on the top all of the time if they don’t win the whole thing there is upheaval. Imo, getting quality talent and maintaining that process is very important. Yes, a FA signing can be helpful but too often when it comes to trying to land a FA we usually end up with guys on the downside of their career. We should just skip that because we end up disappointed with an albatross of a contract around the FO’s neck. Should the payroll be boosted? If done the right way, yes, but not just boosted to boost it.
Posted By: Bird Re: The Guardians - 09/30/22 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Jester
I was wondering, we have had a lot of extra inning games and wins. Anybody kkow the record for those things and how we stack up?
On Sept. 18 they were 11-4 in extra inning games. I am trying to dig into where they fall against the other teams but 11-4 ain’t too shabby.
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 09/30/22 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by Bird
On Sept. 18 they were 11-4 in extra inning games. I am trying to dig into where they fall against the other teams but 11-4 ain’t too shabby.

I would call that quite impressive.
Home you are able to find how they stack up against other teams
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/01/22 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by Bird

I would call that quite impressive.
Home you are able to find how they stack up against other teams

Guardians are 13-5 in extra innings. The most extra innings wins in MLB. Mets have best win percentage, with Padres and Guardians a very close second and third respectively.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CLE/2022-schedule-scores.shtml
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/01/22 12:58 AM
Cleveland down 3-1 in the bottom of the 6th ..... *yawn* they bat around, and now they lead 6-3. laugh
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/01/22 01:01 AM
I was actually wondering about the most extra innings wins on history
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/01/22 01:10 AM
I found an article from 9/19/2017 that said the red sox tied their franchise record for extra innings wins in one season with 15. So at least that many.

I found a separate article that said the record for extra innings wins in one season in professional baseball was pawtucket at 24 but that was all professional baseball, not MLB. But we know it is less that that.

So somewhere between 15 and 24
I thought we wojuld be closer to that. I don;t ever remember near this many extra innings games nor extra innings wins
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/01/22 01:10 AM
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/01/22 11:24 AM
High drama in Atlanta last night.

5 games to go tied with 98 wins. Intense.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/01/22 07:19 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/02/22 11:29 AM
I know this the Guardians thread and I am a fan of the team.

But I live in Atlanta and am a Braves fans as well.

Last night the Braves beat Scherzer. They have 14 hits, 7 runs and 5 home runs off deGrom and Scherzer the last two days.

Those two pitchers are two of the best pitchers in baseball. That is no easy task.

A win tonight will be win 100 and damn near cement the division. Magic number would be one with three games to go.

The Mets have led the division the entire year except for one day when the Braves had a half game lead they lost the next day. The Braves lead now is one game. A win tonight will shock the Mets. Just stun them really.

Damn I want that W.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/02/22 03:25 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/02/22 03:38 PM
THAT. is the most badass thing you'll see all day. (at least until 1:00 kickoffs)
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/02/22 06:22 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/03/22 02:37 PM
I have to admit that while watching the Browns yesterday. All I could think about was the upcoming Braves game.

Mets came into the series with a one game lead. The Braves needed a sweep against a team that will win a 100 games. Against two Cy Young winners in deGrom and Scherzer and Bassitt who is really good as well.

No problem Braves scored 11 runs and hit 9 HR's off their starters. All three got knocked out of the game.
Braves up 2 with three games to go.

Magic number one. Tonight.

My brother asked me who I would root for if it ended with Braves vs Guardians. I don't know. Hope they both get there. It is a tough journey to make it to the World Series.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 11:15 AM
What an amazing baseball season.

Guardians vs Rays let's get her done
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 12:59 PM
Did the schedule come out yet?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 05:07 PM
Garbage times (unsurprisingly). My son will be happy he gets a day off school Friday to go to the game.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 05:18 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 05:45 PM
I don't get to watch the Guardians. I check the box scores and highlights.

So now I will get to watch them in post season. Super excited about watching them play.

I have to admit football is on the back burner for me. I love post season baseball.

And both of my teams are in it.
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 06:43 PM
Don't feel bad, most of us don't get to watch them either #ballysportssucks.

I've been stalking the box scores and gamecast on ESPN over the last few weeks to see what's going on.

Excited for the post season!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 06:56 PM
j/c...

Ha!

Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 07:50 PM
I have been back in Atl for two years now.

When I lived in Reno I had the mlb package. It was great because the games came on at 4 or so.

I got to watch and do things at the same time. I didn't miss many games.

This young team is special. No doubt Tito should be manager of the year. I don't understand the lack of fans? I don't get it.

Exciting team playing old school baseball.
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 08:43 PM
Only us old school guys like old school baseball
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 09:52 PM
I did not want the DH in the national league.

But now that I have watched it all year. I am glad the change was made.

The Guardians are built currently to play old school national league baseball. Use speed, defense, and baserunning as a weapon.

Manufacture runs. It so weird because now the Braves are a home run based team.

Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/05/22 11:40 PM
Sending good juju with playoffs upcoming...

Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/06/22 03:15 AM
Thankfully I have a donza Friday so I’ll be off. 6 am start time for me.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/06/22 09:17 AM
Can’t believe its been 15 years since that game
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/06/22 01:18 PM
Garbage times (unsurprisingly). My son will be happy he gets a day off school Friday to go to the game.

Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/06/22 01:27 PM
This is funny:

"If the Guardians make the World Series, the MLB would schedule it at 3am on Cartoon Network."

But for real if the Guardians take down the Yankees then they will become the darlings of MLB.

Everybody loves the underdog feel good story. The little team that could.

MLB is stacked this year with really good teams any number of them could win.

I would not be surprised if the Braves repeat. They are better than last season. They have experience and the roster.
Baseball of course is like mother nature. It does what it wants to do.

Favorites mean very little.
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/06/22 01:46 PM
It seems so weird knowing who your next opponent will be before your first series even begins.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/06/22 02:25 PM
Jinxed it.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/06/22 03:57 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/06/22 11:38 PM
Those posts were so nice, I had to " like " them twice!

Go Gaurdians!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 02:06 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 09:21 AM
Lol nice
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 12:35 PM
I was real critical at the trade deadline. Did not understand why they did not make a move at catcher.

Still think they should have done so.

But is shocking to see what the Guardians did since that time. Every time they were tested. They came through.

I am not a believer in favorites once post season begins. I believe in momentum. How the team is playing at the end.

The game has changed. The biggest change is bullpen pitchers. They are better pitchers than at other times. It used to be bullpen guys were guys who were not good enough to be starters. That is long gone. Today bullpens are loaded with really good pitchers. In 2015 the Royals won the World Series. Ned Yost was the manager. He was a neighbor of mine when he was the Braves third base coach. His son Josh caught my son.

Ned won with the his bullpen. It started a trend. Last year the Braves bullpen came up huge.

The Guardians have good starting pitching and a good pen. They also can manufacture runs. Super important in post season because you face great pitching.

They have as good a chance as anyone in the American League.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 02:30 PM
j/c:

Enjoy the game, Milk. And that goes for anyone else heading downtown to be the stands too! It's gonna be a gray, cold, and wet one.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 02:34 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 02:58 PM
Thanks! At the ballpark now. Open restaurants/bars were packed so we just headed to the stadium. Barrio had tables but tacos at 10am seemed a bit much.

If it rains it would be so fitting.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 03:16 PM
Is anyone going to the G-Spot today to watch the KinderGuardians?
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 06:27 PM
Cleveland wins game 1, 2-1! laugh
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 06:37 PM
That was a fun game to watch. I love games that feature excellent pitching, defense, and doing the little things little things like moving runners and aggressive base running. Two out of 3 ain't bad.

Man, Bieber's location was amazing! Very impressed.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 06:47 PM
One down one to go.

Great win for Guards.

Dominant pitching. Bieber and Clase were lights out.

Clase is deadly.

Alright let's get em tomorrow.
Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 07:02 PM
Good game Guards!!!

Bieber lights out. Kinda surprised Clase came in the 8th since he hadnt done it all year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 07:20 PM
The playoffs are managed differently.

You have to go with your best especially in that situation.

Tito knows. So happy.

Come back tomorrow and be ready to go.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 07:42 PM
Great game to be at. Crowd was going wild for Jose when the Rays challenged whether or not Rosario touched second base. Chanting Bieber's name, too on several occasions.

Outstanding pitching by both teams. Great job by Clase as well.

Headed back to the ballpark tomorrow. Can't wait!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 07:50 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 09:37 PM
j/c...

Clase final pitch to end the game...

Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 10:14 PM
Guardians Win doesn't have the same fervor as Windians!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/07/22 11:37 PM
Tito driving his scooter down E. 4th after today's game, lol. Love it.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 12:28 AM
Thanks! At the ballpark now. Open restaurants/bars were packed so we just headed to the stadium. Barrio had tables but tacos at 10am seemed a bit much.

If it rains it would be so fitting.

Tacos are 24/7 food.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 03:56 PM
Football has taken a backseat.

It is all in for post season baseball. Great story lines. Fantastic teams. Great players.

I love the drama of playoffs. Every pitch has meaning. Games of inches and situations.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 03:58 PM
j/c…

Beautiful day in Cleveland for a ballgame.

Go Guardians!

(I like no Owen Miller in the lineup today)
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 04:46 PM
Glasnow with electric stuff this afternoon. Fastball around 98 mph and big sharp curve. May not be many runs for the Guardians today. What they need to do is not swing at the curve. It isn't in the strikezone and laying off of it will force him to throw fastballs. And while in the high 90's, seeing the fastball over and over will let you catch up to it. Problem is, his curveball breaks big and sharpe. So hard to lay off.

Announcers are saying he is on a 75-80 pitch limit due to the recent tommy john surgery.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 08:27 PM
This game is a marathon lol
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 08:28 PM
Scoreless, going to the 13th. crazy
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 09:06 PM
Just turned it on about 15 minutes ago. This is one looooooooooooooooooooooooong game!
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 09:08 PM
YES!!!! Win for the Guardians!
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 09:10 PM
SpongeBob SquarePants!
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 09:14 PM
I'm so Happy this game is over

Great pitching as expected from both sides

Now on to Football
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 09:18 PM
A promise is a promise:

Go Guardians!
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 10:02 PM
Damn gave up one run in 24 innings.

I was texting my brother saying somebody has to hit the ball out of the yard.

Now let's go and kick some Yankee ass.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 10:11 PM
On to NY
Posted By: jaybird Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 10:37 PM
Great game!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 10:51 PM
thumbsup
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/08/22 11:59 PM
I am rooting hard for Cleveland. That won't change. I also love good pitching.

On the other hand, I was reminded of why I haven't gotten back into baseball. I was a huge baseball fan, but the lockouts and all the attention given to steroids turned me off. I don't watch sports to hear about controversy. I like the game.

I've been thinking about getting back into baseball, but I hate the DH. I hate the current trend of homer or strikeout. Absolutely hate strikeouts. I was a line drive hitter and these guys try to lift everything. They usually strike out. The analytics might say that is smart, but it's boring. I like making contract. Bunting. Hitting behind the runner. Stolen bases. Hitting line drives or hitting it down and dirty. I like a manager who can out-strategize his opponent. Now, it's about striking out or hitting a homer. I am from an era when guys would shorten their swings and even choke up a bit w/2 stikes. Not these guys. So many dumb strikeouts. It's boring to purists like me.

With that said, I will be rooting hard for Cleveland as long as they are alive in the playoffs.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 12:29 AM
It was nice two win that series but it was one of the most boring ones I’ve ever watched. Going to have to find some offense against NYY or they won’t survive . Given preseason predictions this season has been amazing and they are crazy young
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 01:12 AM
j/c...

What a game. Phenomenal pitching in this quick series. This team and these players are truly special. A great clubhouse.

The play by Ramirez at 3rd in the top of the 12th to keep the game going was phenomenal.

My youngest son and I had to leave after the 14th inning to get back for my oldest son's pictures before the Homecoming dance. Get in the car and hear Hentges work out of a jam and then Hammy's call of Gonzalez's walk-off to win the series. Youngest son was heated we had to leave, lol.

Cavs players were at the game, including Donovan Mitchell.

On to the ALDS!

https://twitter.com/CleGuardians/status/1578865972802252800
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 01:49 AM
Anyone have the schedule yet?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 03:16 AM
They'll play Tues., Thurs., Sat., Sun (if necessary) and then Mon (if necessary) beginning 10/11. All games on TBS and times are still TBD. I'd assume prime time because it's New York
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 03:33 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 09:32 AM
Thanks Milk
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 10:19 AM
I only watch baseball if the Cleveland is in the playoffs, so I have a question about something. Every time I watch them, it seems like their roster is full of young promising players and they always manage a way to develop young, outstanding pitchers. What's their secret? Are they known for having an outstanding scouts? A great farm system w/quality teachers? Or, do they acquire these guys in trades when dealing away the stars they refuse to pay?
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 10:29 AM
Some of all.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 11:49 AM
It was great to see the fans at the park.

This team deserves their support and the fans were giving it. They were into it.

The Guardians were not expected to win their division. Like a 5% chance. They were not in first for most of the year. Hanging around 500.

Didn't do a damn thing at the trade deadline. And damn of they did not catch fire in September and run away with the division. No matter what happens going forward they are a great story.

The road will be harder now. The Yankees came out the first couple months and ran away from everybody. They looked invincible. Then got humbled. They got it back together and finished ok. They are talented with star players and a huge payroll.

The Guardians will have to out pitch them to win. And they could do that. They have the starters and the pen. They gave up one run in 24 innings against the Rays.

The Guardians are a young team who will be going to Yankee stadium and will not have the advantage of home field. This will be a serious challenge. No doubt they are the underdog. However, the post season is not about the best team or being the favorite. It is about the team who is playing their best.

Let's GO Guardians.

Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 12:23 PM
I am a huge Braves fan. I follow the Guardians and am a huge fan of theirs as well but I don't get to see them. Just follow through box scores and highlights.

I watch the Braves so I see the National League. This is the first year of the DH. I did not want the change. But now that I have seen it for a year. I really like it. The bottom of the order is no longer an automatic out. It is harder to navigate the lineups. Offense brings more intense duels.

Pitching has changed a lot over the last 15 years. More guys throw harder. Breaking balls are used more even though more guys throw 95+.

Bullpens are way better. Starters usually throw five or six innings. Then they bring in arms on top of arms.

The DH was needed because pitching would have dominated.

The home run is a more efficient way to score.

Dating back to 1920, teams in the regular season have amassed a combined .730 winning percentage when they’ve outhomered their opponents. In the playoffs, that combined mark is .774. If we focus on 2015-20, those figures rise to .771 and .825, respectively.

I like small ball but I love power. Teams that can score in bunches with home runs comeback in games that are lost in small ball.

The changes have brought excitement. I like that they are speeding the game up. And I will very happy when the strike zone becomes digital. Umpires calling balls and strikes needs to go. Umpires vary to much in their interpretation of the strike zone. There is a giant difference between a 1-2 count and 2-1. I want to be the right call.

I would never try to convince anyone to be a baseball fan. You are or you are not. You either love the game and enjoy watching MLB or you don't.

Plenty of options in entertainment.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 12:42 PM
I wasn't trying to convince anyone else about my opinions on baseball.

I liked the no DH rule because it brings more strategy into the game. You have a pitcher who is cruising along in a tie game or a 1-run game and your pitcher comes up w/a man on 2nd. What do you do? Tough decision. I like managers who are good at strategy. A lot of people hated Tommy Lasorda, but he was a master at strategy. Chuck Tanner was another one.

Home Runs/Strike Outs. I have always abhorred striking out. Gotta put the ball in play. It seems like line drive hitters are a thing of the past. Clemente, Aaron, Al Kaline, etc. Today, they try and lift everything and take full swings on every pitch no matter the circumstances. They usually miss. The hit lazy fly balls that we used to call a can of corn. They top the ball and hit slow rollers.

I miss the days of base stealers like Maury Wills, Lou Brock, Ricky Henderson. Guys who could bunt and also move the runner by making contact and hitting behind the base runner. A walk, steal, bunt, and SF or base hit was exciting to me. But again........different strokes for different folks.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 12:48 PM
Go Tribe!!!
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 01:21 PM
I didn't mean to imply that you were. I merely stated that I would not try to convince others.

From what I saw this year I don't see much change in strategy.

Except pitchers are no longer automatic outs or are guys who can bunt.

You still try to move runners. You can still hit and run. Stealing bases are not impacted.

Hitters do what they have mostly done. They try to barrel the ball. Hit it hard somewhere.

The shift will end this year and that is a good thing. It takes away hits. Some hitters still rely upon base hits and will hit the ball to open spaces.

Baseball has always been changing. They had to lower the mound because Bob Gibson was so dominate. Offense adds excitement. It is what the fans want.

Great pitching will always beat good hitting. That is baseball. When pitchers are on their game they still dominate.

I speak only for myself. I embrace the changes and love mlb. Always have and always will. Baseball IMO is sports greatest "game."

The one thing that does get under my skin about baseball is the financial structure. It should be like football and basketball.

The Guardians face the Yankees. That is amazing that $57m payroll is up against $200m. That is just wrong. However, even with that imbalance.
The Guradians are there. Cleveland deserves an owner who will pay to compete.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 02:20 PM
Like Peen said, it’s a bit of everything. The Guardians are also considered one of the best run organizations in all of professional sports. Turnover is very rare and usually the only time anyone leaves is for a promotion to another organization.

Look no further than the Ray’s manager Kevin Cash. He was with our bullpen coach before the Rays hired him as their manager.

Former players on other teams now still actively root for this team. It’s a bit of rarity, but that sort of thing starts with Tito and the clubhouse with support from the top down.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 02:34 PM
Thanks. Frankly, I'm always amazed at how many outstanding pitchers this team develops. That kid yesterday impressed me. He didn't quite have the command that Bieber did [which was beyond outstanding] but he was magnificent. Is he well thought of or was his performance surprising?

Btw---Are you going to any of the upcoming games? That had to be a blast the past 2 days.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 02:40 PM
Kluber did us a solid. Still a great teammate for us throwing it right down the plate, 80-some MPH.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 09:12 PM
j/c...

Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 10:28 PM
Milk, Memphis or others can correct me if i'm stating any of this wrong.

But as for the Guardians, their main focus is pitching mostly through drafting, but they will also trade for mid-level minor leaguer (examples that have play/played with the team or still moving through the minors: Cal Quantrill, Clase, Pilkington, Logan Allen, Cantillio) that may haven't had overall success, but have shown a plus certain pitch. They have been excellent in developing pitchers. As for the draft, one of the reasons for this they focus on the plus pitches a high schooler/college pitcher has in their arsenal. Espino (one of our top prospects) is an example of this in the minors. He had some question marks coming out of high school (if i remember correctly it was durability), but dude has an excellent fastball and slider.

Through the years, their other focus as for positional players, their focus is/was athletic middle infielders. Of what I have read in the past, they value these players b/c of their athleticism, speed, and versatility. Meaning they believe they have develop that player into playing various positions (i.e. second/SS/ third/ OF) b/c of their athleticism. They tend to also base this on their bat to ball contact and vision (example: Kwon and Tyler Freeman). This season was a prime example of that drafting. Because of that drafting (and a couple trades) and the development, they ran into a log jam of a lot of talented players that are middle infielders (Rosario, Gimenez, Arias, Freeman, Rocchio waiting his turn).

Now I don't remember if I've read this somewhere or maybe it's just my take. I don't want to take credit if it's not true. But they value these players, because of the higher probability of success. They know they are on a budget and not going to out spend teams. Having players that have a high contract rate, a great eye, speed, and versatility have a better chance of success and not wasting a pick. Compared to having a player like Franmil Reyes, who if he's not mashing home runs is basically worthless b/c he's not contributing offense and definitely isn't a good fielder. I know they play different positions and different responsibilities, but this is why you can play a guy like Austin Hedges. At least he provides plus defense. Also, it is easier to get out of a slump when you are making contact compared to a player that has less chance of making contact.

They have had issues with developing outfielders through the years. I can't really comment on why that is. I think its mostly because of their focus on pitchers and middle infielders through the years. The good thing, is they do have a lot of high ranking players coming up soon or with the club (i.e. Brennan, Valera who should be with the team next year)

Man, I think I just talked about everything but your questions.

As for your questions, what Milk and Peen said are true (all the above)

I'm echoing what was said, their organization is one if not the top organizations in all of sports. The organization has their vision of what they want in players and the scouts and farm system does an excellent job in getting and developing those players.

They also do an excellent job of identifying players in trades. Examples: Rosario and Gimenez were part of the Lindor trade. Quantrill, Naylor, Hedges, Arias (a high prospect), Miller all on the major league team were part of the Mike Clevinger trade. Clase their top closer was traded for Corey Kluber. Trevor Stephan one of their top relievers was picked up in the Rule 5 draft last year and they were patient in developing him.

As for McKenzie, he was our top rated prospect for a few years and was projected to be a top of the line starter. But he couldn't stay healthy in the minors and was kinda forgotten by the rating services. He's finally healthy and showing his promise. It was actually fun watching him last year from the beginning of the year to the end, as you could see him continuously growing as a player.

One of the positives (and has been a negative at times) this organization is patient with their players. They could of easily given up on Stephan after he was basically just playing in mop up duty last year since he was so raw. Heck, Jose Ramirez was sort of just another player when he first came up. They were patient, and his light just came on and now look at him.

The negative: The beginning of the year, trotting out players like Bobby Bradley, Yu Chang, and Mercado b/c they wanted to be sure if their light would turn on or not.

Damn this is long (sorry) my last thing I want to point out that's crazy. While they have all these young players playing in the playoffs, they have even bigger players waiting in the wings. Espino, Gavin Williams are two highly rated pitchers (in all of baseball) waiting their turn. George Valera, Brayan Rocchio, Gabriel Arias, Bo Naylor are some of the position players waiting for their turn.

Their farm system is loaded right now.

Funny you brought up about how u like the team. About a month or two ago, I was going to post a message to you about watching this team. They are right up your alley of baseball. They've been so exciting to watch. I love watching their reactions, they just look like a bunch of kids having a blast.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/09/22 11:34 PM
Thanks Scott. Awesome post. I really appreciate the knowledge. Hopefully, Cleveland can keep this run going. I look forward to learning more from you guys who follow the team and baseball in general.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 12:18 AM
Padres are up 3-0. Game would be at 7:37 tuesday
Posted By: jaybird Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 02:32 AM
Padres are up 3-0. Game would be at 7:37 tuesday

Padres win... game is 7:37 est/6:37 cst.....

awesome... can get home from work before the game starts!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 09:28 AM
I agree jay, i was hoping for the hour later start time
Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 01:06 PM
This is true, Guardians have a tremendous staff and their ability to cultivate their farm system is uncanny. I still think in the end it does come down to spending . In a sport with no cap, talent that can be acquired for the sole purpose of winning a championship I think will win more times than naught.. This next series will show us where we really are. The Rays series is a battle of similar small market teams, this series will show if what we've built will last.. NYY have an embarrassing amount of offense more than us. Pitching is going to have to have another performance like the Rays series, but Offense is going to have to show up, 3 runs over 2 games will not work against NYY. Cole has had our number this season.. I like Quantrill starting game one.. Hopefully we get off to a fast start. October baseball is the best
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 01:08 PM
This a good preview of the Yankee's series. It is a position by position comparison. Then they do the same with the starters and bullpen.

Pretty cool that the author is taking the Guardians.

https://www.mlb.com/yankees/news/guardians-yankees-division-series-position-breakdown

This is some series. The ultra rich Yankee's versus the poor Guardians. Yankee's payroll $250 m.

Guardians Payroll $80 and that is misleading $57 m active payroll.

Money matters but players play. It is really simple. Players meet the moment. There are gobs of stats. Analytics drive baseball decisions.

But players deliver or they do not.

The Guardians have shown their strength when the calendar hit September. They pitched great and were oportunistic on offense. There are things they lack like power. However, they know that and don't try to win that way.

Momentum means something. It is intangible but damn it comes into play. Belief can be a powerful thing.

It would be so cool to win this series.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 01:24 PM
I’m a Yankees fan but also a Guards fan when they don’t play.

I’d say it’s a very even series because of the Guards pitching. They are better pitchers than NYY. Cole is overrated and gives up HRs. Cortes is solid but can’t go past 5 innings. Sevvy is a wildcard.

Yankees bullpen has been an issue the 2nd half of the season. Don’t know if they will show up.

I think it will go 5 games
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 07:00 PM
I’m definitely excited for the series. But I am not excited to hear a few hours of the announcers drooling over the Yankees and Aaron Judge.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 08:04 PM
That is how football has become for me.

It has gotten to the point I mute everything. I have lost the desire to listen to or discuss football.

it has become saturated and overexposed.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 10:58 PM
That is how football has become for me.

It has gotten to the point I mute everything. I have lost the desire to listen to or discuss football.

I totally understand. I turned on the M’s/Blue jays game after the guards first game. Man, I swear they talked about JRod for most of the game. The dudes first at bat and the announcers said, he was made for this moment…..really, he’s a rookie playing in his first playoffs and YOU know he’s made for this. How about we wait to see him play at least a couple game before making up bs rolleyes
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/10/22 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
[quote=bonefish]That is how football has become for me.

Sorry going off topic.

Speaking of football:

"saturated and overexposed" is almost an understatement. I really wonder if announcers talk in their sleep and they mumble over and over: "remember, the receiver has to complete the process of the catch in order for it to be a completion." You know they are going to say it. I'm surprised Draft Kings or another gambling site hasn't added it to its betting roster....+- on which quarter the announcer will say that line.

The built up drama they try to add to the game. Somehow every game has a "controversial play"
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 12:15 PM
j/c:

Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 12:59 PM
Cole has struggled.

Quantrill will compete. Take this game and come back with Bieber and McKenzie.

The Yankee's are hurt. Chapman and LeMahieu are both hurting. Chapman out. LeMahieu may play but he is hurting.

I like the Guards in this series. I really do.

The Braves are rested. Their rotation set. There is no other guy I would want to start a big game than Max Fried. He is so mentally tough. Spencer Strider will be able to pitch in this series. They could start him or use him in relief. He is lightning in a bottle. Explosive fastball and deadly slider. He gets the most swing and miss I have seen this year.

Ready to go today. Win at 1:00. Win at 7:30.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 01:57 PM
j/c...

Bob Costas and Ron Darling on the call for the series.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 02:03 PM
I think Costas is fantastic. Looking forward to the call.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 02:37 PM
Costas is dynomite in baseball. He really knows the game from many angles.

Looking forward to his call although he is a Yankee fan.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 02:49 PM
Great! Costas is one of the best to ever do it!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 03:24 PM
I'll take it.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 04:27 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 06:15 PM
Other 1st pitch times:

all 7:37 or 7:07
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 06:16 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 07:34 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 09:38 PM
First time all year Max Fried has been knocked out of a game. The whole rust versus rest argument.

Tough loss. Nothing went right. Baseball can be cruel. Hard hit balls right at them. Twice bases loaded. Could not get the hit.

Seeing eye grounders for them and soft contact hits. Braves hit hard balls they catch them.

We come back and fall short a run on a sliding catch to right. Just not our day.
=====================================================================

Need the Guardians to even out the day. Would love to get that first win against them. Make them shudder a bit.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 11:03 PM
I have a question or two.

Why is Rosario batting 2nd? He's struck out 111 times, which is just one short of the most on the team. He's grounded into 19 double plays which is most on the team. Don't we have anyone who can handle the bat a little better and help Kwan out while the latter is on base?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 11:30 PM
No surprise here!

Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/11/22 11:39 PM
I don't know all the specifics. I do know he has elite speed, seems to come through in the clutch, is loved by his teammates (Jose Ramirez recently says he wants him to stay with the team so badly he'd "be willing to foot the bill") and played very well down the stretch.
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 12:25 AM
Kwan!!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 12:50 AM
we are going to lose this game if we keep leaving so many on base.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 12:56 AM
j/c...

I'd rather have Greg Maddux batting in the lineup than Hedges.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 12:58 AM
I don't know all the specifics. I do know he has elite speed, seems to come through in the clutch, is loved by his teammates (Jose Ramirez recently says he wants him to stay with the team so badly he'd "be willing to foot the bill") and played very well down the stretch.

Agreed thumbsup
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 12:59 AM
j/c...

I'd rather have Greg Maddux batting in the lineup than Hedges.

Haha agreed. I wish Bo Naylor was ready
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 01:05 AM

I do want to add to this, Kwan takes a lot of pitches, our third batter is Jose, so you know they are nibbling when throwing to him and he can take some pitches for this reason. So Rosario being more of a free swinger "should" get better pitches to hit.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 01:14 AM

I do want to add to this, Kwan takes a lot of pitches, our third batter is Jose, so you know they are nibbling when throwing to him and he can take some pitches for this reason. So Rosario being more of a free swinger "should" get better pitches to hit.

Agreed. Keep the speed at the top of lineup and not keep the lineup too top heavy. It's why Gimenez hit out of the 6 or 7 spot all year. Tito knows what he's doing.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 01:15 AM
What a game changer on that Donaldson hit. Wow.

Do not trot!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 01:21 AM
close game with tons of small mistakes that have cost big.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

Yep. Several miscues that have been extremely costly. Also, I would have liked to have seen Tito go to the bullpen rather than let Quantrill go a third time through the lineup. Especially, with a day off in between games. Only Bieber and McKenzie should be allowed to go deep in the game given the schedule.

Either way, Guardians playing with house money so it's all good!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 01:52 AM
The good news for the guards is that Cole is out. Still down 4-1
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 02:30 AM

Yep. Several miscues that have been extremely costly. Also, I would have liked to have seen Tito go to the bullpen rather than let Quantrill go a third time through the lineup. Especially, with a day off in between games. Only Bieber and McKenzie should be allowed to go deep in the game given the schedule.

For sure. I started cringing in the 5th. By the 6th. It was too late.

It's a great experience for a young team. Hopefully, next year we can make a more serious run at the playoffs
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 02:37 AM
Well damn.
We have Bieber and Triston next in line.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 02:49 AM

For sure. I started cringing in the 5th. By the 6th. It was too late.

It's a great experience for a young team. Hopefully, next year we can make a more serious run at the playoffs

Let's get game two! Either way, this team has overachieved. Something quite unique to Cleveland teams.

Guardians were 0-8 w/ RISP.

Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 03:15 AM
Like I said before, we just don’t have the offense. Was a amazing run, but I think this this goes 3
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 03:20 AM
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Like I said before, we just don’t have the offense. Was a amazing run, but I think this this goes 3

Oh no! Need the Guards to take at least one. I have tickets to game 4.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 05:04 AM
Lol. The Dodgers organist playing Con Te Partiro in the bottom of the 9th w/ two outs.....fantastic!

If this is a thing...L.A. needs to have Brennan and Dale perform this if they close out the series.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 09:25 AM
Weather forecast looks foreboding for tomorrow. Bieber will step up
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 10:41 AM
Double bummer.

Well it is a series.

Bieber going tomorrow. Just need to get after them.

Braves today. Hopefully we can get the win. Kyle Wright won 21 games. He has been consistent. Zach Wheeler is going for the Phillies. Local kid from Atlanta. Good pitcher we have seen him a lot. Game could go either way. Have to put on our hitting shoes.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 11:35 AM
I think the ATL/PHI series will go all 5 games.

I also think Seattle blew it’s chance and could get swept now. And the Dodgers will sweep the Padres
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 12:37 PM

Agreed. Keep the speed at the top of lineup and not keep the lineup too top heavy. It's why Gimenez hit out of the 6 or 7 spot all year. Tito knows what he's doing.

Thanks for the info. It used to be that you wanted a guy who was good at handling the bat and working pitchers to hit second. I like what I have seen from Rosario as a player. He just seems more like a #6 hitter to me. Of course, I am realizing the entire game has changed so much. I was shocked to see Judge leading off. He seems like the classic #3 hitter to me.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 12:51 PM
Some thoughts on the game:

--I agree w/Milk in that we probably should have taken Quantrill out. He was struggling w/his location all game long. He was too high in the zone on too many pitches. That catches up w/you.

--Rosario seems like a scrappy player.

--The announcers were a joy to listen to. They expertly filled the blank spaces w/relevant stories filled w/history, stats, and interesting facts. I always thought highly of Costas and I remember Darling as a pitcher w/the Mets. He was a damn fine pitcher.

--I'm worried about how our rotation is set-up. The reason is that there is a good chance that tomorrow's game is postponed. If that happens, Bieber would have to pitch on Friday and that would probably result in him only getting one start in the series.

--I think we could have broken the game open if we had come through w/a hit when the bases were loaded. Cole's recent playoff history would have reared its ugly head w/the fans in NY.
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 01:37 PM
I also think Seattle blew it’s chance and could get swept now.

That definitely felt like a "maybe next year" home run. Shame.

Unless they go all 90's on us and Refuse To Lose. Hell, you're probably too young...

Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 02:02 PM
Last season and at the start of this season, Myles Straw was the leadoff hitter. He did really well last season but has had an off year.
If he turns things around, I would like to see some combination of Kwan and Straw at 1-2 and drop Rosario down into the middle of the lineup.

This would give him more RBI opportunities and he seems like a clutch hitter, so I would expect that he would take advantage of that.
It might also give Ramirez some better pitches to hit. Right now no one is afraid to pitch to Oscar or Naylor.

Of course this isn't a change to play around with this time of year. Thinking more for next season.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 02:12 PM
Thanks for the info. I had looked up the stats of our lineup before I asked my original question. Straw was a guy I thought looked like he could be a #2 hitter. However, I saw how pathetic his average is. I did not realize that he was better last year.

One more question. So, you think Rosario would be better in the at 4 or 5, rather than 6?

I do love Ramirez hitting 3rd.

One more note. I'm glad the league is outlawing the shift. It infuriates me watching guys not taking advantage of that.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 03:05 PM
J/c:

Why aren't they playing today? Teams aren't traveling to another stadium.

Play two in a row, then Thursday could be the day off for travel. Seems dumb.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 03:54 PM
I think TV wants to stretch it out. I think baseball is a great sport to play continuous days … this series should be Tues-Wed-Fri-Sat-Mon
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 03:56 PM
Tough question about Rosario's best spot in the middle of the lineup.

The 4 hole is traditionally a power spot.
But I would like him right behind Ramirez, so I would put him 4th.

Gonzalez 5 and Naylor 6 look better than
Gonzalez 4 and Naylor 5

An interesting guy is Gimenez.
We have him lower in the lineup because he is still developing as a hitter but i think some day he will be a middle of the lineup guy. Not sure if that will be next year or the year after
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 04:25 PM
I think TV wants to stretch it out. I think baseball is a great sport to play continuous days … this series should be Tues-Wed-Fri-Sat-Mon

Agreed.
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 04:29 PM

Agreed.

I thought it was weird that there are days between the first two games and then 3, 4 and 5 take place on consecutive days.

Tuesday, Oct. 11 Guardians at Yankees, Game 1 7:37 p.m. TBS NYY 4, CLE 1 (NYY 1-0)
Thursday, Oct. 13 Guardians at Yankees, Game 2 7:37 p.m. TBS —
Saturday, Oct. 15 Yankees at Guardians, Game 3 7:37 p.m. TBS —
Sunday, Oct. 16* Yankees at Guardians, Game 4 7:07 p.m. TBS —
Monday, Oct. 17* Guardians at Yankees, Game 5 7:37 p.m. TBS —
*If necessary
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 05:11 PM
J/c:

Why aren't they playing today? Teams aren't traveling to another stadium.

Play two in a row, then Thursday could be the day off for travel. Seems dumb.

I agree w/this and it would have solved the rest issue w/Bieber.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 05:12 PM
Gimenez comes across as another scrappy player. Is that true?
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/12/22 05:23 PM
Scrappy is very subjective, but I think most of our players are scrappy.
I think Gimenez has the potential to develop into a superstar perennial all star 2nd baseman
Good defense, high average and developing power.

Should become a cornerstone along with Ramirez.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 12:28 AM
I don't know much about Rosario since I don't get to watch many games. A #2 hitter should be good at hitting behind runners and be a good contact hitter if you want to play a hit and run if they aren't a classic #2 who might be a good bunter to move a runner.

Hitting behind runners is a lost art. If he can do that you can move the fast guy to 3rd. It is also a bit harder for the 2nd baseman to start a DP and the SS to turn the DP.

Just throwing out some thoughts.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 02:20 AM
They're good points Peen.

Bringing in a few stats. Rosario was 5th in all of baseball in hits. He was at least leading the AL a good part of the year in hits. He led the league in triples with 9 (second place was Kwon and a couple others with 7)
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 11:46 AM
Hey guys........if I say something dumb or ask a dumb question, it's okay to let me know. LOL

Again, I was into baseball big time ever since I was a child. I was a pitcher and SS in high school. Coached my son's travel team after I quit coaching football. But, and it is a big but, I haven't followed the game in a long time. Things change. Listening to Costas the other night really drove that point home. He was probably saying stuff you guys already knew, but it was news to me.

I agree w/peen about a guy who can handle the bat in the 2-hole. I like hitting behind the runner, bunting, working the count, etc. But again, those things might not be part of the game. Hell, I am still astounded that Judge is a leadoff hitter. It's kinda cool when guys like Bobby Bonds [Barry's father] and Ricky Henderson had some pop in their bat and led off, but in mind, Judge seems to be the ultimate #3 hitter. The times have done changed. So, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. For example, perhaps my point about Bieber only getting one start is wrong? I don't know...
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 12:22 PM
No doubt then that he is a contact hitter. I pulled up a spray chart of his hits and he sprays it around so he can hit behind the runner. I couldn't paste the chart.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 01:00 PM
Billy Beane and analytics changed the game. Decisions are wrapped around analytics.

Leading off is now about getting your best hitter more at bats. That is why Judge leads offs.

"Hot bat" is another managerial move that has become common. If a player is hot. They move him up in the order. Hitters are streaky so when they are hot they want to get him AB's. The traditional leadoff and three and four hitters are not the same. Lineups do not stay the same. A guy hitting third in one game may hit 7th in another game. The "shift" caused changes. It will be gone next year.

There is so much information in the dugout today. Matchups against pitchers. Averages in ballparks. How to pitch to each batter. Defensive alignments. The scouting reports are so detailed. Tons of stats. Bullpens have become so important. They have guys for 6th, 7th, 8th, and closer. Guys come out of the minors who have never been starters.

It used to be if you could not make it as a starter. You went to the pen. That is not the case today.

I got to see a lot of these changes as they began. East Cobb baseball has put over 35 guys into the major leagues. I coached there for ten years. I coached or coached against many of those players. Their website has the players listed. That is not counting the hundreds of college scholarships that come out of ECB. The players are given the best instruction and play against the highest level of competition at a young age. By the time they are 18 these kids are so advanced.

Michael Harris of the Braves will win the ROY in the National League this year. He is the youngest player in the game. Played locally. Last night he faced Zack Wheeler with the Phillies another ECB player. Dansby Swanson Braves SS another ECB player. Buster Posey I saw play when he was sixteen.

The talent in the game today is off the charts. So many great players. I get to see the National League during the regular season. I love being able to see the American League games now in the post season so I can see the players.

The Guardians are unique. They really play "old national league" style. It was a necessity in order to compete. They lack power and can not win trying to play the power game. Tito is a tremendous manager and the right manager for this team. Fingers crossed for tonight.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 04:23 PM
Game 2 PPD until Friday at 1:00
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 05:32 PM
Good article about the rise of the Guardians:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/34777824/2022-mlb-playoffs-cleveland-guardians-got-alds
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 07:01 PM

That really sucks for us.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

That really sucks for us.

I'd argue it's better for the Guardians. Yankees are going to have to figure out how to manage a banged up bullpen with three games in a row. Guardians bullpen is a big strength for them and an area where they are better than the Yankees.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 07:09 PM
I was thinking of Bieber when I said that, so thanks for bringing up the bullpens.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 07:20 PM
[quoteSo, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. For example, perhaps my point about Bieber only getting one start is wrong? I don't know...[/quote]

It isn't wrong.

I think Tito decided he would rather take the game against Cole and call it a maybe win....not wanting to call it a throw away because I think he likes our #1 pitcher against their #2 nd our #2 against their #3 pitcher.

You can never count on a win, but I think he sees Biebers chances of winning against the #2 guy as a more sure thing than had he gone against Cole. That might have been a toss up match.

Just my opinion.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 07:36 PM
I know you are not saying otherwise, but I want to say that I really like Tito. I always have. I remember his dad [the original Tito] as a player and had many of his baseball cards. Great baseball family.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 07:45 PM
Good replies from all.

Nice post Bone, good information and cool to hear about the ECB.

That goes for the same in the Caribbean. Kids from DR and PR grow up playing baseball all year around. And of what I know, over the years MLB has assisted in the growth of those areas. Man, remember back in the day (i think it was Orlando Hernandez?) that came over on a raft to defect from Cuba to play baseball. In 2018, MLB and Cuba struck a deal for players to play in the big leagues without having to defect. Crazy stuff.

A little off topic, but aren't our dang Cleveland teams oddballs. Last year you had the Cavs running a big lineup most of the year, which went against the small ball everyone else was playing. You have the Guardians playing small ball/fundamental ball compared to almost everyone else playing home run ball. The Browns are one of the few run first teams in a passing league.

What a crazy sports city.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 08:13 PM
I know you are not saying otherwise, but I want to say that I really like Tito. I always have. I remember his dad [the original Tito] as a player and had many of his baseball cards. Great baseball family.

Tito is freaking awesome, lol. When I was stationed in DC, the Tribe would play the O's once a year at Camden Yards. So I would drive up for the weekend and stay at the hotel next door and watch the whole 3 or 4 game set. The first game I would get tickets in the first row behind the dugout and the rest of the series I would buy a bleacher seat and hang out in the centerfield outside bar (the view for the game and surroundings was so cool).

So the one year (I always arrived when the gates opened), I was hanging out by the dugout and ended up talking to Andre Knott for a bit. Really nice cool guy. Afterwards, Tito came out of the clubhouse and into the dugout. I said, hey Tito! Can I get a picture? His response with a serious face/voice, "hurry up, I'm workin' here".

His response still cracks me up.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 09:02 PM
The Braves have benefited greatly from ECB.

Jeff Francoeur, Brian McCann, Jason Hayward, Nick Markakis, all played at ECB. Dexter Fowler was on a team I helped coach. Brandon Phillips, he was at workout at Kennesaw college with my son.

Francoeur was a total stud. He had an incredible arm and could hit the ball a long way.

It is a private business owned by Gary Baldwin (a total jerk,) But he built a entire baseball complex and got the backing of big companies.

Baseball America lists ECB as the number one youth program in the US. It is basically All Star players from the Southeast. They play all summer and compete in every tournament. They show up with three or four teams for each age bracket from 13 to 18. It is amazing to see kids that young play at the level they play at.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 09:27 PM
I remember being confused about the Francona's at one point. I knew Tito, the player. Then, I heard about Terry Francona playing in the Bigs. All of a sudden, I hear the name Tito Francona being thrown around and I'm thinking how the hell can he still be playing? Of course, I soon found the answer.......and now I think it's cool that he has "inherited" that nickname.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 09:37 PM
I went to an Indians game one time when Tito (the father) hit a home run past the foul pole in right field.

I was sitting right there and almost caught that ball. I was sick it got away.

Terry is a terrific manager. A player coach for sure. He is the perfect coach for this young team.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 09:43 PM
Cool story and I agree about his son. Excellent manager.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 10:08 PM
The Indians were so bad when I was a kid.

The stadium was an empty cavern. Sam McDowell, Mudcat Grant. Wow a long time ago.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/13/22 10:18 PM
Yep. Max Alvis, Leon "DaddyWags" Wagner. Sonny Seibert. Rocky Colovito. Tony Horton, Joe Azcue. Duke Sims. Vern Fuller. Louie Tiant.

I probably butchered the spellings.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 02:33 PM
j/c...

Hopefully, the Guardians brought some rum and sacrificed a live chicken in the clubhouse to wake up the bats.

Need to win today.

Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:20 PM
Guardians!
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:21 PM
After three hours of walking on egg shells...

HELL YEAH!
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:21 PM
Good job!
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:24 PM
Yea, it was rough. I was hoping it would end soon with a win.

I want to get down to the pool
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:24 PM
Through the first 18 innings of baseball...

Tribe:

17 LOB
1-15 RISP

Need more timely hitting if we want to pull this off. But damn, gotta love this hustle and resilience! Took our lumps and kept coming back off the ropes!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:24 PM
What a big win!! Nerves are wrecked.

Jose Ramirez doing what he's done all year.

Finally, some timely hitting.

McKenzie tomorrow.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:25 PM
I didn’t want to post during the game and jinx us, haha
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:27 PM
I'm having a hard time feeling bad for you... in Honolulu... trying to get to the pool.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:29 PM
LOL

Same here... nerves shot, not tryna come here for the jinx. 🤣
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:32 PM
Haha, what’s sad is I live a block from the Ala Moana/Waikiki beach and I’m choosing the pool.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:35 PM
Those 7 am games though! Thankfully I took leave this week to catch the games
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:46 PM
Gotta take the good with the bad, eh? rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:49 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 09:51 PM
That was exciting! Getting a split in a 5-game series changes things dramatically.

--I thought Bieber's location wasn't as good as it was in the first playoff game, but he gutted it out and kept things close.

--Bullpen was amazing!

--Great hustle by Jose.

--We finally got some timely hitting at the end.

--I thought we were in a bad place after we stranded runners in the first and they hit the 2-run dinger.

--I was surprised we didn't have Straw running in the 9th. He would have scored on the play where Kwan hit the ball and an error was charged.

--I did like putting Gonzalez in motion in the 10th.

--I was getting a little worried about Clase's pitch count at the end, but he got it done.

--Milk's point earlier about the two bullpens is looming larger given what happened in today's game.

--That was fun!
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 10:11 PM
Now it becomes a three game series with two at home.

Big shift.

Tight ballgame as many become that; it all turns to the pen.

Post season the pen is gigantic. Advantage Guardians.

Damn that feels good. So glad they won the game.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 10:30 PM
[quote
--I was surprised we didn't have Straw running in the 9th. He would have scored on the play where Kwan hit the ball and an error was charged.[/quote]

I was thinking the same except making the 1st baseman hold the runner opens up that side of the field a bit.

I forget how many outs were on the board, but if a DP was in order, it would have been even bigger. since the Yankees would play at double play depth with the 2nd baseman shading towards 2nd. He wouldn't be able to play more in the hole and still be able to turn a double play if he had to cover the bag. He would never be able to get to the bag and set for a throw,

You figure that Straw could swipe the bag, but in that situation you also don't want to be running in to outs. Tough call. I am just trying to think what Tito may have been thinking.

As it worked out, holding the runner is what probably caused the 1st baseman to get handcuffed. I know that wasn't the plan by any means, but if he was deeper he probably fields it cleanly.

Just like you like talking football, I like talking baseball.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 10:47 PM
Lots of little things in that game.

They attacked Judge. Fastballs away and then up and in.

Stayed away from their power. The pitching so far in the post season as been magnificent.

Tito went to Clase at the right time. The game was on the line. Karinchak was feeling the pressure and struggling with command.

Going back home 1-1. Make them feel it. I hope the crowd is hanging from the rafters.

Kwan really impresses me.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/14/22 11:38 PM
All I can say is, "Let's gp Guardians! Wahoo!" laugh
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 12:48 AM
I love and didn't doubt

that this Guardians team could go into a big city

and put out the lights

and bring that energy home

would love to see a three game sweep

be happy with one win at home Saturday or Sunday

nope ! sweep them Yankees for a 3-1 series !!!!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 02:14 AM
1-1 tied up. Feels like it’s Cleveland’s to lose IMO. Yankees weaknesses continue to show: bad approach at the plate and no bullpen.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 07:53 AM
Way to go GuardIndians! Beat those da&* Yankees!
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 11:27 AM
1-1 tied up. Feels like it’s Cleveland’s to lose IMO. Yankees weaknesses continue to show: bad approach at the plate and no bullpen.

It should be a bit in our favor but there is a good chance we end up back in NY on Monday.

Today would be a good day for the bats to pick up and have a bit of a lead later because I don't think Clase will be available in todays game. He looked to be losing his stuff yesterday as he got up to 25 pitches. Some guys have rubber arms but don't have starter arms just like starters many times need a few innings before they find their groove.

Off topic just a bit, but if you can stream "Facing Nolan", do so. Nolan Ryan was pretty amazing. One really cool part was after the first inning of one of his no hitters, he came to the dugout and told the rest of the players he only needed 1 run today.
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 06:33 PM
Not surprising but ...
The tougher question is who starts Game 5 if there is one?
My guess is Civale

Guardians announce RHP Cal Quantrill will start Game 4 of ALDS vs. Yankees
Updated: Oct. 15, 2022, 10:32 a.m.|Published: Oct. 15, 2022, 10:17 a.m.

By Joe Noga, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio — Guardians right-hander Cal Quantrill will start Game 4 of the American League Division Series on full rest Sunday at Progressive Field. First pitch is scheduled for 7:07 p.m.

Quantrill will be opposed by Yankees righty Gerrit Cole in a rematch of the series opener won by New York, 4-1, on Tuesday in the Bronx. Quantrill is 14-0 with a 2.88 ERA in 34 career starts (44 appearances) during the regular season at Progressive Field.

New York got to Quantrill for four runs (three earned) in five innings on Tuesday. He allowed five hits and three walks while striking out five. But home runs by Harrison Bader and Anthony Rizzo put the Yankees in front as Quantrill faltered in the sixth. Cole, meanwhile, is 3-0 in his career against Cleveland, including a 2020 wild card victory at Progressive Field.

Guardians manager Terry Francona also had right-hander Aaron Civale available to start Game 4, but it seems likely that Civale would now start a potential Game 5 if the series goes that long. Shane Bieber started Game 2 in New York on Friday and is likely unavailable on short rest for a Game 5 appearance.

Prior to his Game 1 start, Quantrill talked about keeping the approach simple against Yankees slugger Aaron Judge.

“Limit the damage, last as long as I can, and trust that the lineup and the defense behind me is going to play their best baseball, and they have,” Quantrill said. “Score a lot of runs. I focus on great pitching and they do great defense and that allows me to do the thing that I think I’m best at, which is staying in the game and giving us a chance to win.”

https://www.cleveland.com/guardians...ill-start-game-4-of-alds-vs-yankees.html
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 07:18 PM
Civale probably the guy if it goes 5. Although, Tito could opt for Plesac. Civale was kept off the Wild Card roster because Tito preferred Plesac's experience.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 07:20 PM
I like this change in the lineup. Owen Miller and Brennan were giving you nothing at the plate.

Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 07:26 PM
I think Naylor's ankle is the impretus for the change. He tweaked it in Firday's game and I think Tito wants to rest it without losing his bat, thus Naylor at DH
We don't really have a backup 1sr baseman. Miller could do it but hasn't been great out there.

I do like Arias

Looking forward, I think Rosario is our starting SS next season.
It will be a very interesting battle between Rosario, Arias, and Freeman for 2024
Gimenez isn't out of the picture but I think he will be our starting 2b for the next 10+ years
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 09:35 PM
Sorry about your Braves, Bone. That sucks. MLB postseason is so hard. The ebb and flow of a 162 game season changes dramatically when it gets compacted into the intensity of a short series. The wrong team at the wrong time, a mini slump, a bad outing... and it can all be over as quick as it started.

At least you still have the Guards to root for.

Next year. thumbsup
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 09:50 PM
Phillies seem to be a team of destiny .. rooting for the Padres tonight too
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 10:03 PM
Thanks Fate.

Baseball is a humbling game. The Braves won a 101 games. They are a better team this year than last. However, the post season is all about who gets hot.
The Phillies played better. They won the first game against Max Fried. I did not expect that. We came back in the game but not far enough.
I am bummed a bit but we won a World Series last year. So, I can handle it.

Now it is all about the Guardians. They are such a great story. Baseball is driven by analytics. But something can happen inside a team that is unexplainable and has nothing to do with analytics. I saw it last year with the Braves who won 88 games in the regular season.

People call it momentum. But I don't think it is that. It is an infectious belief that the team will win no matter what. Sometimes you can see it on the players.

I know it sounds crazy but I have coached over a thousand games. I have seen it happen.

As I have watched the Guardians so far in post season. It seems crazy how loose this young team is. They are focused but don't seem to be intimidated by the moment. It would be wild to win this series. But it sure feels possible.

Tonight is a big step. The team is in the same position as the Plillies were. Home at 1-1. Win tonight the pressure is all on the Yankees. They want to win a game to take it back to NY. Win tonight. They will be tight.

The pitching will need to continue. The lineup is not strong. It is all about pitching against their power.

So, I am all about the Guardians now. Hoping for another miracle.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/15/22 10:29 PM
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:10 AM
Guardians!!!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:11 AM
YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Guardians take game 3 on a 2 out, 1-2 base hit by "Mr October", Oscar Gonzalez! laugh
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:17 AM
Hey Bob/Ron….. you guys cool with the Guards having more hits…and more runs? Sounds like the Yanks were short a home run.

nanner
Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:18 AM
Go Guardians!!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:20 AM
I am going bonkers. Speechless for what this team is accomplishing with all of these rookies. Just incredible.

Playoff baseball shaving decades off my life.

Heading to the game tomorrow with my oldest son. Feel much better about going knowing it's not an elimination for the Guardians.

Cannot wait.

Go Gaurdos!
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:21 AM
And that my friends, is Guardians baseball!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:22 AM
Posted By: EveDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:39 AM
The end of that game was amazing!! I want to see Guardians v Padres in the WS!!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:41 AM
What an amazing game!!!

Once again, I thought we were doomed after we squandered 9 baserunners and only scored 2 runs and they hit two 2-run homers. Glad I was wrong.

Milk's point about the bullpens is ringing more and more true.

Small ball over power ball. I freaking love that.

This kid......our leadoff hitter.....is a special player. He's going to be good for a long time.

It's great we didn't have to use key members of our bullpen tonight.

The starter........I forget his name.....was up too high in the strike zone. That's a no-no.

--Francona did a very nice job of managing tonight. There was one time I would have sent the runner on first, but other than that.......his pitching moves and use of pinch hitters was excellent.

--Once again.............that was fun!
Posted By: Frenchy Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:41 AM
Gonna be crazy in Cleveland tomorrow!!!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:44 AM

Love Hammy. laugh
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:51 AM

Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:53 AM

Took the fam to see this screening at the Cleveland International Film Festival back in the Spring. Really great watch. Andy Billman and the author of the book did a Q & A session that was a lot of fun.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:54 AM

Love Hammy. laugh

That's how I watched, Paused Costas and almost muted. EPIC WIN!
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:58 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:59 AM
Hamilton is great, but I want to say this........and it might not be popular. However, we are getting prime time games only because we are playing the Yanks. That's an indisputable fact. Costas and Darling have actually given far more attention to the Guardians than I ever expected, and probably more than any other team would. I bet Yankee fans are pissed at them over it.

Just sayin'...........keep that in mind.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:59 AM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:00 AM

Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:04 AM
feeling like a team of destiny this year.. they have no business winning like they are. kind of reminds me of that 2007 season
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:05 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:07 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:08 AM
Wow.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:12 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:15 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:18 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:19 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:20 AM

I was screaming at the TV and demanding robots replace human error for balls and strikes (it was an emotional time)!

The strike 3 on Kwan that was 8" off the outside of the plate was egregious.

Too many inconsistencies.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:21 AM
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:22 AM
[censored] happens in baseball, but yeah, the Kwan K was complete BS!

I thought you were attending tonight's game? Or is it tomorrow's game?
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:22 AM
I was commenting during the game, to the people I was watching with, that it looks like the umps were calling the frame not the actual pitch and that the Yankee catcher was doing a fantastic job of framing the pitches.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:23 AM
Good point. It's an art.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:26 AM
Hamilton is great, but I want to say this........and it might not be popular. However, we are getting prime time games only because we are playing the Yanks. That's an indisputable fact. Costas and Darling have actually given far more attention to the Guardians than I ever expected, and probably more than any other team would. I bet Yankee fans are pissed at them over it.

Just sayin'...........keep that in mind.

I don't think this is true.

I mean it's not like:

- the camera has spent almost more time showing Yankees pitcher Cortes then it has the actual baseball game for some weird reason

- shown spike lee at yankee stadium, but hasn't shown anyone that's a Guards fan (psst, he might not be a huge celebrity, but Jay Crawford is sitting right there in the backstop seats)

- the few times they brought up examples about the next series with the Astros (twice), their example is Cole and not a Guards pitcher

- saying something like it must be deflating to get all those hits and only two run, while one swing of the bat by the Yankees and the game is tied

Hmm, Vers...I think you are right, lol.

I'm joking, you are definitely right Vers. They have one of the largest markets and fan bases in baseball.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:30 AM
I do want to point out Bob and Ron have been great announcing this whole series.

I swear though, when Judge hit that home run something snapped in their broadcasting. All of a sudden, they went into Judge talk, then brought up some home run stat about teams being something like teams being 35-6 (I don't remember the correct record they said) when they hit more home runs then the other.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:46 AM

I was screaming at the TV and demanding robots replace human error for balls and strikes (it was an emotional time)!

That third strike was ridiculous
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:47 AM
I thought you were attending tonight's game? Or is it tomorrow's game?

Sunday night game.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:53 AM
Hollywood still keeping and eye on Cleveland. Cavs players out in support tonight.

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:53 AM
j/c.

And what was I doing during the Tribes victory? Watching...........until my cousin's kid "needed" someone to play Wii tennis with her. Missed the whole 9th inning.
Posted By: Jester Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 04:54 AM
And they said commented how it is an advantage that the Astros have rest and can set up their pitching staff but that because this series is going 4 games at minimum with Cole pitching game 4, there is no way, regardless of who wins, to start the 1st 2 games with their 1 and 2 pitchers.

That is 100 % true if the Yankees win, but if we win Bieber starts Game 1 and McKenzie Game 2.
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 05:01 AM

Ernie! lol

Ernie’s post was from Oct 7th
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 06:01 AM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 07:07 AM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 09:44 AM

I don't see a big problem. I see 2 fastballs that look outside. The inside sliders would have been breaking towards the plate, so they would be close enough to call. What those graphics don't show is a strike zone has depth as well. It isn't just a point at the front of the plate or just the back of the plates. A pitch can nip a front edge or back point of the plate and be called a strike. So a pitch that nips the front corner of the plate can end up looking like it is 6 inches outside by the time the catcher has the ball. Remember, the strike zone isn't the depth of a sheet of paper in front of the plate. It is like a cardboard box that also includes the depth of the plate. Graze any portion and it can be called a strike.

What else that isn't shown is how many pitches in the exact same spots were swung at? Those were never given a chance to be called strikes. If we had some graphic of pitches called balls for comparison, we might have something to talk about.

Plus, maybe Mac wasn't hitting edges?

A whole lot of complaining over nothing in my book.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 09:52 AM
Oh...what a game! Who said that baseball is boring?
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 11:11 AM
Just WOW!

How flipping cool was that?

Something crazy is happening.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 11:20 AM
I tried to explain this and even to myself, but I thought it would sound like I am nuts:

"Baseball is driven by analytics. But something can happen inside a team that is unexplainable and has nothing to do with analytics. I saw it last year with the Braves who won 88 games in the regular season.

People call it momentum. But I don't think it is that. It is an infectious belief that the team will win no matter what. Sometimes you can see it on the players."

The Yankees had been 167-0 when leading by multiple runs entering the 9th.

Think about that.

Just Wow!

Baseball can stop your heart.

I am so happy.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 11:32 AM
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 11:41 AM
The team has to learn from the last game they faced Cole.

Don't swing at the slider. It will not be a strike. Wait for the fastball in the zone.

Last game against Cole they all were chasing the slider out of the zone. Got to adjust.

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 11:41 AM
Posted By: mac Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 12:35 PM
I wish some of that "never quit".. "never give up" attitude that the Guardians have shown all season would rub off on the Browns..maybe today.. thumbsup
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 01:19 PM

I guess I went to bed too early! That was fantastic!!!
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 01:35 PM
I am sure you will not fall asleep tonight
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 01:46 PM
I am sure you will not fall asleep tonight

Gotta work tonight, so unfortunately I cannot watch it. 'Gotta bring home the bacon.'
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 02:04 PM
Growing up I was a diehard of all three Cleveland teams - Browns, Indians, and Cavs. My grandfather made sure of it. And although I wasn't a Clevelander, like most Clevelanders the Browns were and always have been my first love. I was a 12 year old kid at training camp when Bernie Kosar signed a rookie card for me. I was hooked.

Over the years I have found it harder and harder to keep up with the Indians and Cavs due to the number of games combined with work, marriage, kids, just life in general. I have lost touch with the Indians and Cavs, but kind of follow from afar and always watch the playoffs if they are in it. I was stoked to watch the game yesterday. I watched all the way through until the very end. I was screaming after the Gonzalez hit.

I laid in bed this morning reading this thread and all the twitter reaction that was posted and literally had tears coming out of my eyes. The fans of Cleveland deserve so much in my opinion. The fans greeting Tito at his residence is a special kind of special.

What a game.

Some observations from a guy who doesn't follow baseball all that closely -

1. Kwan and Ramirez have a lot of plate discipline. They rarely swing at bad pitches and usually put balls in play. The rest of the lineup gets nervous and chases pitches.

2. Ramirez looks short and pudgy but it has been a joy watching him play 3rd base in these playoffs. Guy can field.

3. Has any Cleveland sports team had a manager/coach with the clout of Francona? And it's not just reputation. Guy seems to deliver year after year. Is he the best in the majors? I remember him as child the year he played what I thought was third base for the Indians.

4. What an electric game and crowd last night. Man, the fans deserved that so much. I kept thinking I wished I was there.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 02:16 PM
I’m in a weird spot .. I’m a diehard Yankee fans but truly think the Guards deserve the series. And I like the way they play the game.

The Yankees are a disgrace truthfully … they have the wrong approach, a terrible manager, and no redeeming qualities.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 02:18 PM
I thought Boone was a respected manager, no?
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 02:31 PM
Baseball continues to amaze me.

It has been a part of my life since I was eight. You watch a the regular season and you get over the ups and downs because you play the next day.

At times it looks routine. Team ahead in the ninth by 2 or 3 runs . Closer comes in. Game over. Then two days goes by and a 3 run lead is blown.

Regular season is over. Dodgers record is crazy good. Runs scored; Runs against. Run differential a staggering +334.
Padres 22 games behind.

Padres take the series in 4 games.

Mets, Braves, Dodgers all win over 100 games. That is not easy to do. All three are out now.

All those tiny things that happen that can change a game.

What an amazing sport.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I thought Boone was a respected manager, no?
Not amongst Yankee fans. He’s Joe Woods for them. His bullpen use, changing of lineups, and inability to manufacture runs are all scorned.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 02:47 PM
If the Guardians get to the World Series.

They will be the home team because their regular season record was better than the Padres or Phillies.

Just looking ahead with positive vibes imaging a miracle.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:14 PM

Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 03:52 PM
I text back and forth with my brother who lives in Cleveland. He listens to the radio broadcast all year.

I keep telling him I want a laser strike zone. I am sick of missed balls and strikes.

The difference between a 2-1 count and 1-2 is incredible when looking at the stats of those counts.

Any ump can call a pitch down the middle or an obvious ball. But, pitchers live on the black. You make a great pitch on a 1-1 count and the ump misses the call. It is enormous.

The technology is here. Use it. They correct calls on the bases. Foul or fair. Use it on the strike zone. To many umps call a different strike zone.

I have seen the NLCS ruined by a bad umpire calling balls and strikes. They fired the ump after the series. He was calling strikes a foot outside.

The laser would call the game accurately. Call the ump and give the right call. Now the hitter and pitcher would be treated fairly.

It will happen. They are doing it in the minors. I will be glad when it does happens.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 10/16/22 11:40 PM
Kinda figured the guardians would get stomped today too. Bad day for cleveland sports. Cole owned is all year. Offense needs to get it to the bullpen asap.
Posted By: redddog Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 12:35 AM
I mean…I have way more confidence in the tribe than I do the stains.

These guys have been my only joy.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 03:19 AM
j/c...

Bummer. Missed opportunities.

Going to be a lot of bullpen use tomorrow for both teams.

Would like to get 3 innings out of Civale.

Go Guardians!
Posted By: leadtheway Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 03:33 AM
Cole has shut us down everytime.. I think the key is to get early offense to get NYY into their bullpen while ours maintains the lead.. We have a hard time generating a lot of offense. We have to slowly chip all game, but tonight it just wasn't happening after we gave them 3 right off the bat, Some defensive lapses as well, like Arias getting pulled off the bag, and Kwan jogging out a fly ball that landed fair...little things like that hurt a young team.. but Quantrill has been horrible. He couldn't get any of his pitches off. But here we are, lowest payroll against highest in a game 5 winner take all.. Meanwhile that mistake on the lake got beat by a 4th round qb like a rented mule. Would be extra sweet to send NYY home at their place.. I don't have much faith in Civale though.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 03:51 AM
At least we won't have to face Cole again. He really has been our kryptonite.

Do or die in NYC tomorrow.

Go Guardians!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 09:25 AM
Civale vs Taillon … and lots of bullpen for both teams lol
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 11:58 AM
No matter what happens in game 5, they gave the fans a lot of heart, effort, and enjoyment. They cared. They played smart. And they left it all out on the field. Completely opposite of what we are witnessing with the Browns.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 11:59 AM
I thought we let Cole off the hook multiple times by swinging at some bad pitches. Of course, maybe his stuff is better than I perceived it to be.

I agreed w/Tito's pitching moves even though the one guy wasn't so effective after replacing Quantrill. The latter makes me nervous when he pitches. I think he leaves too many pitches up and it's only a matter of time before someone hits a bomb off of him.

The Jose baserunning blunder was by all accounts rare for him, but it was a killer.

It seemed like there was a ton of energy in the stands.

LOL at the trash talking that has invaded baseball. Naylor's trot was hysterical even though I was pretty shocked. Of course, the Yankee left fielder who is a rookie has been over the top w/his junk throughout the series.

I thought we should have slid in feet first after Rizzo blocked the bag. Screw him.

Well, it's going to be a battle of bullpens. I'm hoping Milk's prediction turns out to be true. It should, but then again, you never know in baseball.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 12:09 PM
I’ll tell you one guy (for the Yankees) who is going to be relied upon who is a total wild card: Domingo German. He’s going to have to pitch tonight and he is literally a crap shoot.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 12:23 PM
Are you talking about Bader? Guy seems like a total meatbead.

The Naylor thing was embarrassing as well.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 12:32 PM
I am not sure about the spelling, but Cabrera, the rookie left fielder. He was staring down Bieber and the skinny kid in the two previous games and even grabbing his junk while staring at them AFTER striking out. Pathetic.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 12:38 PM
Yeah he seems like a dope too.
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 01:08 PM
Cole is a good pitcher.

However, they just faced him and a couple things stood out. Cole's plan was clear. Get ahead with high fastballs and and get them to swing at out of the strike zone breaking balls when behind in the count.

They interviewed Tito and he said "got to lay off the breaking balls down."

They did not adjust very well and kept chasing.

I felt we had a chance in the 8th. But. Jose could not lay off the inside back foot slider.

Game five will be empty the roster. All hands on deck. This will be a managers game. Moves made on matchups.

The Guardians can not get into high scoring game. They do not have the lineup. In order to win this game they have to stay close.

That will give them opportunity to get that key run.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 01:17 PM
They interviewed Tito and he said "got to lay off the breaking balls down."

I agree w/Tito. I brought that up in my earlier post about us bailing him out.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 01:21 PM
A manager’s game clearly favors Cleveland. They just need to do anything possible to keep the ball in the ball park IMO
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 01:41 PM
The first game against Cole was very revealing.

I kept texting my brother. "Cole's breaking ball is out of the zone." "They have to sit on fastballs early."

The second time Cole was all fastballs early then went to his braking pitch after the second time through the lineup.

Easier said than done but they never adjusted.

I have never Cavale pitch so I don't have a clue about him. His latest numbers show a guy who gives up 2 runs in 5 innings.

He has to keep guys off base. The Yankees are power loaded. If you give up homers make them be solo.

Got to stay close in this game.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 07:06 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 08:04 PM
One thing I forgot to mention earlier was Arias. I'm not getting on him because I believe he is rather inexperienced at first base and he did make a really nice play. But, his inexperience showed up twice. Once when he backed up on the throw from Jose and another time when his foot wasn't on the bag. An experienced guy would not make those mistakes.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 08:06 PM
Go Guards!!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 08:40 PM
j/c...

Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 10:27 PM
Posted By: bonefish Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 10:51 PM
These types of games are really tough.

Wait. Begin. Stop. Wait. This can wear on you.

Could be a long hard night.

We need heros.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 11:29 PM
worst case scenario... their pitchers getting another day of rest.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 11:41 PM
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/17/22 11:52 PM
Posted By: BADdog Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 12:14 AM
I've in nyc. There isn't going to be a game with this weather. Radar shows rain till 11
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 12:20 AM
Posted By: FATE Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 12:43 AM
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 12:50 AM

That's good stuff !

It's people being people and not

Hate between opposing teams people

Sports are supposed to be competitive and fun

No need to be so hateful all the time

Nothing wrong with a little interaction

with someones fans that the Guardians are going

to beat their team !!

smile smile smile
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:10 AM
Posted By: BADdog Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:13 AM
My radar shows rain till 11
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:17 AM
Not going to be able to watch this one

11 is past my bed time

Heck now is, but ya know

Hate to miss this
Posted By: EveDawg Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:23 AM
If the game is postponed until tomorrow does that mean NY can start Cole again?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:38 AM
This blows! Swings to a huge advantage now for the Yankees. What a sham.

Posted By: BADdog Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:47 AM
This blows! Swings to a huge advantage now for the Yankees. What a sham.

shame
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:58 AM

This game should have never been called.

Season over.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:02 AM
Posted By: BADdog Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:16 AM
Radar is clear now
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:42 AM
If ever you needed evidence of it being rigged, here you go. NY didn't stand a chance in a bullpen game, now suddenly they have a chance and it is clear out.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 09:55 AM
Rain being rigged?

Sory, you just don't start games at 11PM.
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 11:21 AM
They start games that late all the time, it’s called an 8pm game on the west coast. They were so adamant to get the game in last night and the timeline was lining up with exactly with what they expected it to be. They were holding on, and then they change their mind at the last second when it looked like the weather was doing exactly what they thought it would do. Sorry that is awfully sus.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 11:49 AM
Selfishly I’m glad they didnt play the game so I can watch it haha.

Cortes hasn’t been good on short rest, so I still anticipate a bullpen type game for both teams.

I did see a stat that cleveland had the best record with 4:00 local start times tho .. 🤔
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by ~Con~Artist~
They start games that late all the time, it’s called an 8pm game on the west coast. They were so adamant to get the game in last night and the timeline was lining up with exactly with what they expected it to be. They were holding on, and then they change their mind at the last second when it looked like the weather was doing exactly what they thought it would do. Sorry that is awfully sus.

Sorry, that is a 8PM game. I could say that is a 4am start in London. The start time is determined by the place in which they are plying, not some other point on the globe.
Posted By: ~Con~Artist~ Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 01:51 PM
It is literally the same thing for the players. The team is based here, yet they play 8 pm games in Seattle. It is no different then playing at 11pm on the east coast. The only team that benefits delaying it a day is NY because they might not have to rely on their bullpen.

Likewise, the real winner here is Houston. That game isn’t delayed so it’s back to back games for their opponent in the playoffs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:09 PM
Is Bieber starting for us today?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:10 PM
j/c:

Bullpen game!

Side note: Nestor Cortes has never pitched on 3 days rest. And neither has Bieber, which is why Tito is most likely going this route. If you need Bieber late in the game if it's close or you go extras, you can use him. If you win and don't use him, you have Bieber starting Game 1 of the ALCS tomorrow. I'm guessing this is the mindset.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:18 PM
Let Civale go once through the lineup and go to the bullpen.

I agree, bring Bieber out of the bullpen if absolutely necessary.

Cortes has pitched once on 3 days rest.

Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:20 PM
The video I watched must have meant this season instead of career. Or I misunderstood them.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:20 PM
Originally Posted by ~Con~Artist~
It is literally the same thing for the players. The team is based here, yet they play 8 pm games in Seattle. It is no different then playing at 11pm on the east coast. The only team that benefits delaying it a day is NY because they might not have to rely on their bullpen.

Likewise, the real winner here is Houston. That game isn’t delayed so it’s back to back games for their opponent in the playoffs.

Think what you want.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: The Guardians - 10/18/22 02:21 PM
Good info, guys. Thanks.
© DawgTalkers.net