DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: bonefish Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/05/23 11:25 PM
No doubt in my mind one of the greatest players to ever play.

I always went out of my way to watch the games I could see him play. He was an amazing talent.

RIP Mister Dick Butkus.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/05/23 11:51 PM
Agreed. One of the most talented and toughest players of all time. Never got to play in a playoff game. Reminds me of a guy named Joe Thomas. RIP MR. Butkus.
Posted By: mac Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 02:58 AM
One of the most feared LBs to play the game

I wore his number when I was a HS Soph...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 10:56 AM
It is not often when you watch football that a single player jumps off the screen especially at linebacker.

When he was in his prime Butkus was a force of nature on the field. He stood out. Not unlike Jim Brown did on offense.

He was that good. There was no forward motion against Butkus. When he made a tackle the play went backward.

I have never seen a player deliver a hit like him.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 12:43 PM
RIP to one of the best
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 01:45 PM
Rest in Peace Dick.

You represented your era of football as the best of the best.

Well done, Sir.
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 02:43 PM
RIP, Mister Butkus. He was the textbook for years for how LB got played, and he could take over a game just by his big plays. A genuine pro's pro. Devastating hitter. This is Football; this is how it is played best. Well played.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 05:56 PM
I love those old highlights of the players just destroying each other
Posted By: mac Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 06:20 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 06:29 PM
Sometimes the passing of someone hits home a little more than other times. Nothing hurts like close friends and family. But when it comes to people outside of that circle, it's a question of degrees. I have never liked hearing the news of someone dying. No matter who that person is. But when it comes to musicians, actors and athletes, how you valued you experience and memories of them weigh heavily in how their passing impacts you.

In the case of Butkus I first saw him play when I was a small boy. By the time he retired I was in my mid teens and had been playing football at school for some years. I played both MLB ans FB in school. It was Butkus who formed in my mind what a LB'er should be and I'll never forget that. He helped inspire and guide me to be the best LB'er I could be.

So to say his passing hurts a little more than most athletes.... yeah, it does.

He will not be forgotten by me.

RIP Dick Butkus

A madman on the field and that friendly smile off the field.
Posted By: JimDawg Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 07:30 PM
RIP Dick. He was one mean...
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Dick Butkus has passed at 80 - 10/06/23 11:30 PM
Great player, an NFL legend. Those bears fans on Saturday Night Live would be crying in their beers tonight.
© DawgTalkers.net