DawgTalkers.net
Giant human.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/alex-wright/32005752-4906-2922-b5b0-18513ba02e8e

saywhat
Posted By: jaybird Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:12 AM
alright.... fits a need...
Looks like a good athlete with a high SPARQ score, but probably not very fundamental. And from the photo he looks longer and lean
Posted By: Jester Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:13 AM
PATHETIC@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Is Ray Farmer still drafting for us?
He has Garrett to learn from
If SuperBrown hates it, we're good.
WORST DRAFT SINCE MANGINI TRADED FOR JETS BACKUPS!
We're drafting backups.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:16 AM
Very underwhelming draft so far. Other teams are grabbing potential starters and we're grabbing guys who at best might be solid backups.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:17 AM
Fills a huge need hopefully in a year or two.
Winfrey and the LB from Ga still on the board. We pick a tall skinny DE?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:17 AM
The Browns really trust their coaches and the process to develop guys.
Worst draft in awhile
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:19 AM
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
We're drafting backups.

Seems like it.
I don't trust Kevin Stefanski to develop anyone.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:20 AM
j/c....

I thought I saw a 91.1 PFF grade on some graphic related to him on TV.

Maybe not.
Reading this makes me feel a bit better.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...eatures/browns-draft-profile-alex-wright

Sounds like a Poor Man's Clowney, but the project kind.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:28 AM
Is this the kind of junk drafts we can expect for the next 3 years?
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:29 AM
j/c...

Listening to Browns presser right now and the Browns plan to play Wright inside most of the time.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:31 AM
Who is Watson going to throw to this year
Undrafted WR FAs from Nevada State, Maryland Tech?
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Listening to Browns presser right now and the Browns plan to play Wright inside most of the time.

Sounds about right, one of his biggest weaknesses is his strength and that he doesn't always stay low. LOL
Posted By: Hamfist Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:34 AM
Demetric Felton in the slot, Cooper, DPJ as the WRs.
Njoku, Bryant, as the TEs.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:34 AM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper

It really is unfortunate that the league won’t allow us to sign free agents after the draft.
in 4 words.
They didn't even try!

Could have found those 2 players, as their first 2, and found them 2 weeks ago, and not even been present at the event as it happened, and been assured that those 2 would have been available.

They didn't even try.
I don't know why anybody puts up with this, including myself. It's in my heart I can't shake it.
Posted By: Jester Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 02:40 AM
I'm hoping for Khalil Shakir at #99

The Great Anthony SCHWARTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
I would have went w/Dean, but this pick doesn't bother me too much. He has some upside and while he might not be a high level guy, he probably can be a situational player who flips outside and inside. Much better than the trade down and the picking of a corner, although I wonder if they use that guy in dime defenses and occasionally in nickel?
Posted By: bugs Re: Alex Wright selected with the 78th pick - 04/30/22 04:19 AM
j/c

Be not afraid of what you don't know!

I have no clue about the likes of Emerson and Wright. Remember the third round starts where you find your "football" or "lunch pail" guys.

This is a little odd for analytical thinking. Berry is switching things up here.
Man we have a lot GM's on the Board.

Players who have not played a down in the NFL and already their careers are over.

Wow we sure stink and that Berry guy must be some kind of mor on.
Kid is going to have to get on Garrett’s “we’re here to <clap> PUMP YOU UP!” gym program. 15 reps is 6 more than what I do, a puny 6’1” 200lb 50yr old.
Definitely has the size, just not the power yet. Pretty clear to me that they’re thinking a bloomer in 2-3 years?
Wright is a good selection for pick #78 ... but not as good as what we had on the board at 44 where we passed on some better EDGEs'.
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
Kid is going to have to get on Garrett’s “we’re here to <clap> PUMP YOU UP!” gym program. 15 reps is 6 more than what I do, a puny 6’1” 200lb 50yr old.
Definitely has the size, just not the power yet. Pretty clear to me that they’re thinking a bloomer in 2-3 years?

Wright strained his pec during the bench press at the combine.
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
Don't know how much of an excuse this is, apparently he strained his pec during the bench drill, can't find any vid...

"I wish I could've done more, but I was happy with what I did do on the field," Wright told The Spun in Indianapolis. "I also got some good feedback from teams. I had to undergo MRIs and stuff because I strained my pec. It was a tough moment, but I heard it was a mild sprain. I tried to focus on my workouts because I can worry about my pec later. It was a fun yet challenging time."
Milk beat me to it by like 10 seconds

You sux, Milk.

ALEX WRIGHT: NFL DRAFT PROSPECT INTERVIEW
BY: JUSTIN MELO MARCH 19TH, 2022 THE DRAFT NETWORK

UAB's Alex Wright is one of the most intriguing pass rushers in the 2022 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-5, 271-pound chiseled EDGE defender experienced an excellent campaign in 2021 by recording seven sacks in 12 appearances. It was a proper follow-up to a freshman campaign that saw Wright total 4.5 sacks as a young defensive star-in-the-making. The moldable tools and traits could help Wright get drafted earlier than most currently realize.

Wright recently spoke exclusively with The Draft Network about his exciting and expansive pass rush arsenal, his experience and takeaways from the NFL Scouting Combine, how UAB placed him in positions to succeed, which teams have shown interest in him throughout the process, and what kind of impact he plans to make at the next level.

JM: You enjoyed a career-best season in 2021 by recording seven sacks en route to being named second-team All-Conference USA. What changed for you this past season?

AW: My mindset and approach definitely changed for the better. I learned to control the things I can control and how to let go of everything else. I stopped focusing on the things that were outside of my control. You could always control your own mindset. I had to make sure I was putting my best foot forward on every single play.

JM: You certainly did that. You had an excellent weigh-in at the combine, coming in at 6-foot-5, 271 pounds with 34-inch arms. Have you heard the words “traits” and “tools” a lot throughout the pre-draft process?

AW: I have, and I continue to do so, yes sir. Everybody has their own play style and different traits. No two prospects are the same, even though some of the traits may be similar. I feel like my traits are incredibly unique. My body type, my length, it’s definitely uncommon or irregular. It allows me to do some things that maybe other prospects and other pass rushers can’t. I understand how to use the traits at my disposal. Those are the things that put me in this position to begin with.

JM: You possess rare traits and tools. What were your main takeaways from the combine experience?

AW: You have to enter the combine with a strong mentality. Everybody watches the combine on television and they think it’s all about working out and doing interviews. Heck, I sorta went into the combine thinking it was going to be like that (laughs). There’s so much that happens behind the scenes with medicals and whatnot. There’s a lot that goes into it. That was probably my main takeaway.

You have to possess a strong mentality and you have to be yourself out there. You might run into coaches like Pete Carroll or John Harbaugh. These are coaches you’ve been watching on television your entire life. You might get a little starstruck at one point (laughs). You have to remember you’re here for a reason. It’s a showcasing event and basically a job interview. If you end up getting coached by one of those more recognizable coaches, you’ll get used to it. You start to realize that’s your coach and not some television celebrity.

I had to be myself. I entered the week with the right mentality, a great mentality I’d say.

JM: It’s so important to realize that. Did you meet with many teams formally throughout the week, and do you have any virtual visits coming up?

AW: I’m supposed to meet with the New Orleans Saints, Arizona Cardinals, Dallas Cowboys, and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. I had roughly 12 formal interviews at the combine and that list included the Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins, Tennessee Titans, Green Bay Packers, San Francisco 49ers, Minnesota Vikings, Baltimore Ravens, Indianapolis Colts, and Philadelphia Eagles, to name a few. I had a bunch of informals as well. I’ve met with a lot of teams, man.

JM: There’s a lot of interest in you and it’s easy to see why. How would you describe your pass rush arsenal? What do you consider to be your go-to moves and counters?

AW: My set of go-to moves may differ based on my weekly opponent. It depends on who we’re playing against. I’m comfortable switching it up every week if I have to. I look to identify certain tells on tape throughout the week of film study. I love using the cross-chop on certain offensive tackles. I love the bull rush and swipe moves as well. Those are the top three moves in my pass-rushing arsenal currently. It all depends on the offensive tackles really.

JM: Your arsenal really pops on tape. If you could hand-select the quarterback to be the victim of your first career sack, who would you choose and why?

AW: I would definitely say Tom Brady now that he’s back (laughs). It was Brady at first, and then he retired. Then it was Lamar Jackson, and when Brady announced he was coming back, it became Brady again (laughs). Jackson was the backup plan.

Watching Brady throughout my life, the reason I choose him is because of the type of person he is. He’s won so many championships. Watching him throughout my childhood, I always appreciated the way he treats his teammates. He’s a special person beyond what he’s accomplished on the field.

JM: You clearly put some thought into that. I love that. You had a backup plan ready to go when Brady retired for 40 days (laughs). Having played at UAB, some people are going to refer to you as a “small school prospect.” How do you typically respond to that?

AW: People don’t realize that most NFL players actually come from small schools. They don’t all go to Alabama or Georgia. If you’re a good football player, the NFL is gonna find you regardless. They have scouts, eyes, and ears everywhere. The NFL will always identify talent no matter where it comes from. It doesn’t matter if you come from a Power 5 school or a Group of 5 school. They’ll find you. If you can play football on tape, you’ll receive an opportunity. That’s how I feel about that.

JM: That’s the honest truth. How do you think playing in UAB’s defense helped prepare you for the next level?

AW: I’m extremely confident in the type of coaching and constructive criticism I received throughout my time at UAB. I had an excellent coaching staff throughout my entire tenure at UAB. That staff recruited me and they really spoke of my continued development and brought that into existence. They believed in me and I felt the love they had for me. I believed in the process and they always worked with me. They always filled me with confidence. That’s really how I look at it. I have to give all of the credit to my coaching staff.

JM: That’s a terrific answer and we love to hear such positive stories regarding a relationship between prospect and coaching staff. I’ve really appreciated your time today. What kind of impact is Alex Wright going to make at the next level?

AW: I’m going to make the impact that only Alex Wright is capable of making. I'm not trying to be anybody but myself. I watch a lot of film and I might model my game after certain players, but I’m my own player and my own man at the end of the day. I’m going to play to the best of my abilities and put my best foot forward. When I get drafted, the journey is just beginning. It’s not the end of the process. I plan to achieve a whole bunch of goals in the NFL. Whichever team drafts me is going to get the best version of Alex Wright.
j/c...

VERY long interview (over an hour), but at least it's sectioned into categories of conversation at the bottom of the video player.

Also VERY easy to like this dude and understand what the FO sees in him outside of flashy video.

Alex Wright reminds me a lot of Jordan Smith whom came out last year, I think he's 2 years away from making any impact...I thought he would go more 4/5 of the draft...but we shall see, definitely was a need and hopefully he can contribute as a wave.
Originally Posted by bonefish
Man we have a lot GM's on the Board.

Players who have not played a down in the NFL and already their careers are over.

Wow we sure stink and that Berry guy must be some kind of mor on.

I'm not going to comment on the pick because I really don't know enough about the kid as of now.

But we have just as many people on here who give this FO and coaching staff a free pass on every move they make. As much as I hate to break the bad news to you, everyone is human. Nobody bats 1000. None of this FO or coaching staff are Gods. They will make mistakes just like every other human being does. Are some too negative and giving them crap over everything? Certainly. Are there people who also give them a free pass and make excuses for everything they do? Certainly.

I think the Browns have a very solid FO and coaching staff. But blindly supporting every move they make is not really any different than criticizing every move they make.
His video was good. I just hope he was not a developmental player (project) with great measurable but raw the front office will ask the coaching staff to create a player from the measurable s. Everytime the Browns attempt that it fails. I would rather draft football players instead of projects.
IMO Andrew Berry is one of the best GM's in football.

No GM will get it all right. Impossible. Berry has a scouting and analytics background. His decisions have been well thought out and logical.

The amount of work and time that goes into a GM's job is massive. It involves the eyes and minds of many.

Some of the comments on here are hysterical. A person reads a scouting report and watches a five minute highlight film and they are an expert.

Phd's from Doctor Google. And they know more than Berry. Please.

Meh, some posters think they are God's gift to football, but they are just fans.
Originally Posted by SuperBrown

Hush your mouth, SB......lol
Originally Posted by bbrowns32
Originally Posted by SuperBrown

Hush your mouth, SB......lol

I take it back since Berry redeemed himself by taking Winfrey.
We are all just fans. Nobody on this Board is employed in the NFL.

All fans can hate or love any player, coach, GM, owner, water boy. No problem.

For any of us to think we know as much about the draft as Berry is comical. He did not rise to the level he is on a bs resume.

He had to prove it and earn his way. These decisions are not easy. They are poured over. Careers are on the line.

Of course they be will wrong at times. The draft is not a science. However, it is not from lack of information and study. It is the nature of the beast.

But a good GM is making decisions from a well thought out plan and as much information as can be gathered.

IMO we are fortunate as Browns fans to have Berry as our GM.
Bone, I couldn't agree more. I'm sure AB had a good sound reason for drafting who he did.
I think it is odd to have a message board and be told not to make comments on it. I don't see people saying they know more about football than Berry, but what the hell is the point of having a Brown's message board if we are chided for giving our opinions? It's okay to have different takes on things. Honest discourse leads to good discussion and people can learn. I feel it's wrong to attack people for speaking their football opinions. We have too many posters who feel the need to attack those who don't agree w/their own opinions. And no, I am not including you in that group, but it's a freaking message board about the Browns. You may have an opinion about a player, coach, FO dude, the owner, etc that I disagree with, but I am not going to try and get you to stop giving your opinion on that particular person. Honest discourse should be celebrated and nourished and censorship and insults should be discouraged .......you know.......in my opinion.
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
I thought I saw a 91.1 PFF grade on some graphic related to him on TV.

Maybe not.

You saw correctly.

Wright had an overall 90.4 grade per PFF which ranked him 10th out of 824 edge defenders.

Pass rush grade: 91.1

Run defense grade: 78.8
Yeah, I think this guy has a shot to stick for at least awhile as a situational guy and maybe develop into something more.
Jesus, I think I have to change my ideas on how good he is after that video. It was designed to make him look good, but damn, he looked terrible. Plays really high and that is a no-no in the NFL. Doesn't play w/the outside--in technique that all good high school programs teach from middle school on up. Relies way too much on athleticism. Gets dominated at the point of attack when engaged.

Damn it! That video was damming even though I don't think the dude who made it intended it to be.
Unfortunately that's the difference in talent you get from 44 to 78 ... hopefully we can coach him up and he becomes a good player for us in a couple of seasons.

I dunno... maybe four time pro bowler Amari Cooper.... think he is a pretty decent target....
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Jesus, I think I have to change my ideas on how good he is after that video. It was designed to make him look good, but damn, he looked terrible. Plays really high and that is a no-no in the NFL. Doesn't play w/the outside--in technique that all good high school programs teach from middle school on up. Relies way too much on athleticism. Gets dominated at the point of attack when engaged.

Damn it! That video was damming even though I don't think the dude who made it intended it to be.

In his defense, he was a 210 lb wide receiver in high school and started out as a TE at UAB. He definitely does need to play with better pad level. Fortunately, I think this staff does try to spend a good amount of time going "back to the basics."

The fluidity and stringing moves together is nice. He is still "growing into his body" and should get stronger. Clean up the technique and we could have something.

Hopefully Clowney is back and he can learn from him and Myles without being fully relied upon early.

Edit: May have had some facts wrong. Might have converted to DE late in high school. Trying to track down where I picked that WR/TE nugget up from. Not sure if it came from a TDN article that seems to no longer be hosted or one of the interviews. He is still a young guy, only 21. He's 4 months younger than Ojabo.
Thanks. I hope he works out.
Thanks. I hope he works out.

I know you do, as do most others.

No doubt this is a pick where analytics had influence in the pick. Everything points to him having the ability but is still a unfinished product. He has the body type and has flashed the skills, is young, and recently underwent a position change.

No doubt the bet is he will continue to rise in his learning curve and turn in to a good finished player. If not, then he becomes just a "guy" as we say.

At his height he should be able to add another 10 lbs or so of sold to his frame easy enough. When he does that added to continued coaching, if he works at it, then we find out his ending point.
This pick is about scheme fit. This is what they want for DE.

Berry mentioned it in his press conference. He has the size they want for their scheme. He is 6'5" 270lbs.

Woods plays a 4-3.

His DE is often a wide 9. And a 5 technique. There is a closed(strong) or open side(weak). It is basically a single gap scheme that can change with hybrid fronts and can go to 2 gap.

Wright has the potential to develop into this scheme. He will used in rotation till he gets comfortable and earns more reps.

This pick is an example of why continuity in the staff is so important.

Other schemes he would not fit.
Originally Posted by bonefish
No GM will get it all right. Impossible.

Which was my entire point. I understand exactly what you're saying and I agree that Berry is an excellent GM at this point early in his career. My guess is that he will only get better. There is also the ying and yang of it as I mentioned. Some will uphold every move he makes and some will criticize every move he makes. Some will look at each decision on an individual basis and give their opinions on those moves individually. Berry, as with all humans will make mistakes. When and if he leaves the Browns you will see those who point to every mistake he made as evidence of how badly he sucked. You will see others point to every success he had as to how great he was here. Like it or dislike it that's the way things go on a message board.

I'm not so much disagreeing with you as I am trying to show you there's two sides to every coin. In this case possibly three sides.
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
In his defense, he was a 210 lb wide receiver in high school and started out as a TE at UAB. He definitely does need to play with better pad level. Fortunately, I think this staff does try to spend a good amount of time going "back to the basics."

The fluidity and stringing moves together is nice. He is still "growing into his body" and should get stronger. Clean up the technique and we could have something.

Hopefully Clowney is back and he can learn from him and Myles without being fully relied upon early.

Edit: May have had some facts wrong. Might have converted to DE late in high school. Trying to track down where I picked that WR/TE nugget up from. Not sure if it came from a TDN article that seems to no longer be hosted or one of the interviews. He is still a young guy, only 21. He's 4 months younger than Ojabo.

BACKGROUND: Alexander “Alex” Wright grew up in the small town of Elba (population less than 4,000) in southeastern Alabama and started playing football in the
second grade. His focus switched from sports to music in middle school, giving up football for band (woodwind instruments). Wright attended Elba High and started
playing basketball as a freshman and then returned to football as a sophomore. Wright played both ways as a wide receiver on offense and edge rusher on defense.
As a senior, he led Elba to an 8-3 season and earned All-District honors on defense with 63 tackles, 17.0 tackles for loss and 6.0 sacks on defense, adding 15 catches
for 266 yards and three touchdowns on offense. Wright lettered in basketball through his junior year (averaged 11.2 points and 12.5 rebounds per game) and also
played on the AAU circuit.

A three-star recruit out of high school, Wright was the No. 116 strongside defensive end in the 2019 recruiting class and the No. 73 recruit in the state of Alabama.
Playing in the lowest classification in Alabama, his recruitment was more gradual than instant, picking up steam after attending several recruiting camps. Florida
Atlantic offered him at tight end, and several ACC programs (Duke, Louisville, Virginia and Wake Forest) offered him on defense. But he developed a close bond with
UAB linebackers coach Nick Gentry and committed to the Blazers because it “felt like family.” Wright decided to skip his senior season and enter the 2022 NFL Draft.
15 reps on the bench is real weak for a DE, wild that he is 271lbs with that thin an upper body. Size and wing span are solid.

15 reps means he needs an entire year in the weight room.

They better be signing Clowney because his size and measurables give him potential....he's not strong enough to be anything close to a fulltime player yet.
He got injured and didn’t complete his bench press.
Oh that I did not know, that makes a whole lot more sense.
My concern with this pick is that he put up all his sacks against small schools like Texas-San Antonio, Florida Atlantic and Old Dominion. I read in one of the draft write ups on him that when UAB played Georgia that their TEs were able to block him one on one.
Originally Posted by cfrs15
He got injured and didn’t complete his bench press.

Here's hoping that he didn't get injured BECAUSE he was trying to do too much for his strength level (e.g. over straining already after only 15 reps) and more because it was just a freak thing to happen
Originally Posted by dawg66
My concern with this pick is that he put up all his sacks against small schools like Texas-San Antonio, Florida Atlantic and Old Dominion. I read in one of the draft write ups on him that when UAB played Georgia that their TEs were able to block him one on one.

That's good information to consider provided it's accurate. I have reason to believe that you would not fabricate such a thing. I'll be watching him at the point of attack closely.

That's good information to consider provided it's accurate. I have reason to believe that you would not fabricate such a thing. I'll be watching him at the point of attack closely.

They didn't have the TE's block him one on one very much. Here's the full game:

Alex (#16) had a couple decent plays but nothing to write home about. Jamaree Salyer planted Wright pretty good once early, but he didn't look out of place after that. The UAB secondary got toasted early and often. Definitely not his best tape, but Georgia steamrolled the UAB team early. The Bulldogs out athleted the secondary and were chucking it deep to wide open receivers first few drives. Not much time to get into a rythm on one and two play drives. Gave up 3 TDs of over 60 yds.

Wright was able to push the Georgia TE (#19) 2 yards into the backfield when single blocked. When "handled" one on one, it's hard to know his responsibility. They ran inside him a couple times when it looked like he was setting the outside edge against the TE. He wasn't getting knocked back by them or anything.
Thanks.
I do not like this pick. Hope Clowney signs.
Still not sure how I feel about the pick. I don't think the way he was predominantly used at UAB is how we'll use him. The few plays I've seen him in a 3 point stance it looked rather awkward and almost like they were having him 2-gap. Hopefully we'll have him attacking more, as that looks like where he is most effective.

Definitely hope we're bringing Clowney back. Kid could be good, but he's got a lot to learn/get comfortable with.
If you don't mind, will you post your thoughts on I. Thomas on his thread? I watched a few videos and he looked good to me, but I have very limited data base.
Definitely hope we're bringing Clowney back. Kid could be good, but he's got a lot to learn/get comfortable with.

Just spitballing an idea that struck me, here, but I have to wonder if he isn't going to sign relatively soon-ish... delayed so as not to affect the Compensatory Pick formulas.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Appendix V of the 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement contains the binding bylaws of the compensatory pick system. App. V, §1 explains the basics as follows:

[A] Compensatory Free Agent (“CFA”) shall be defined as an Unrestricted Free Agent (“UFA”) who: (i) signed with a new Club during the prior free agency signing period […] prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year1 […]; and (ii) ranked within the top 35%2 of all League players […]. Clubs that lose to other Clubs a greater number of CFAs than they sign or acquire from other Clubs shall be eligible to receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the College Draft to be held in the following League Year subject to the provisions set forth below.

So, if I am reading this correctly, only Unrestricted Free Agents whose contracts expired and UFA's who are signed between the start of the league year Free Agency period and the Monday following the Draft are included in the compensatory pick formula.

So, Clowney's contract expired, so he counts as a loss. Him not signing until after yesterday basically means that getting him back doesn't count in a way that cancels out his loss.

Berry gaming the system, again???
The deadline for that already passed and it wouldn’t count for Clowney because he would be re-signing.
That was my first thought when reading that. I certainly don't know all these intricacies, but it would seem that re-signing would nullify any comp picks regardless.
Didn't he wait until about time for camps to decide last year? Probably doing the same, checking the $$$ offers.
Well, his re-signing will happen outside the window that applies to signings that impact the formula, so I was thinking perhaps it may not count as a re-signing for the formula... an exploitable loophole.

I reckon I need to dig up the rest of the current CBA and read further.
Well, his re-signing will happen outside the window that applies to signings that impact the formula, so I was thinking perhaps it may not count as a re-signing for the formula... an exploitable loophole.

I reckon I need to dig up the rest of the current CBA and read further.

It's an interesting notion even without regards to Clowney...Fuller, Hicks, etc.

Just spitballing an idea that struck me, here, but I have to wonder if he isn't going to sign relatively soon-ish... delayed so as not to affect the Compensatory Pick formulas.

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Appendix V of the 2020 Collective Bargaining Agreement contains the binding bylaws of the compensatory pick system. App. V, §1 explains the basics as follows:

[A] Compensatory Free Agent (“CFA”) shall be defined as an Unrestricted Free Agent (“UFA”) who: (i) signed with a new Club during the prior free agency signing period […] prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, on the Monday following the NFL Draft for that League Year1 […]; and (ii) ranked within the top 35%2 of all League players […]. Clubs that lose to other Clubs a greater number of CFAs than they sign or acquire from other Clubs shall be eligible to receive a Compensatory Draft Selection in the College Draft to be held in the following League Year subject to the provisions set forth below.

So, if I am reading this correctly, only Unrestricted Free Agents whose contracts expired and UFA's who are signed between the start of the league year Free Agency period and the Monday following the Draft are included in the compensatory pick formula.

So, Clowney's contract expired, so he counts as a loss. Him not signing until after yesterday basically means that getting him back doesn't count in a way that cancels out his loss.

Berry gaming the system, again???

I think Clowney tends to wait to sign. Did with us, and I believe he signed late with Tennessee. But If it's Berry, it's nothing but smart. It sounds dumb, but I could see us hanging onto Mayfield too if we just have to eat his contract either way because he would help the formula next year as well when he signs somewhere else. But we would basically eat a roster spot there too, so it may not happen.
Thanks Bull Dawg, I haven't actually seen him play so I wasn't sure. It was just something I read when researching him in the many different sites and publications I looked at. Still a little concerned though that all his sacks came against the other small schools he played against and that he didn't have any against the Major colleges ( IE: Georgia, Miami (FLA), and Tennessee).
That's a damn good point about Mayfield. That would be a rather large expiring contract at $18 million; that could probably net us a 3rd rounder and all we have to do is carry one less special teamer through the season.... and, in that light, it probably sets the minimum bar for trade compensation. Like, why would we trade him for less than a 3rd when we can almost definitely get a 3rd as compensatory? Win-Win.

As for Clowney signing late: he signed with us on April 14 last year. He didn't sign with the Titans until September 6th, 2020, but that could easily have been delayed that long because of all the Rona uncertainty at the time. Either way, it's quite a range of time as for when to think he could sign.
During the FA comp signing period, Cleveland "lost" Rashard Higgins and MJ Stewart.
We signed Jacoby Brissett, Ethan Pocic, Taven Bryan and some peanuts.

We won't be getting a comp pick regardless. Well, the Mensa 3rd rounder, but not a traditional comp pick.
Wow. I hadn't realized that we re-signed so many of the guys, and most of the ones we didn't never got signed by anyone. Higgins & Stewart combined equal Brisset's deal, so, yeah... we aren't getting anything.
A really detailed article about Alex Wright on the OBR.

I'm intrigued.
That was a good read, guard. Thanks.
Good read.

we might need to work with the guy, but he has the tools to be a very good player.
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/new...ther-de-who-appreciates-artistic-talents

With Alex Wright, Browns have another DE who appreciates artistic talents
Wright played a variety of instruments and was into drawing before his football career ascended
May 18, 2022 at 12:26 PM

[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]

Alex Wright and Myles Garrett share more than just a football position in common.

Wright, a UAB defensive end who was the Browns' third-round pick in the 2022 draft, has a creative, non-football side to him. Similar to how Garrett has heavy interests in all things art, poetry and paleontology, Wright holds a passion for music and art as well. Creating sketches of cars and sci-fi scenes were some of his biggest hobbies in high school, and he's played a multitude of instruments since middle school, ranging from the baritone, alto and tenor saxophone and the clarinet.

"I was big on music, and it's still a part of me," Wright said Friday before a rookie minicamp practice. "Having those extracurricular activities on the side, I can mellow myself out."

Those interests should bode well for Wright as he looks forward to building chemistry with Garrett. The two haven't formally met at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus yet but will be able to soon when OTAs and mandatory minicamp begin.

Wright has been eager to strike a relationship with Garrett since he became the Browns' second selection in the draft at 78th overall. He felt goosebumps when he realized shortly after his draft call that he was going to be teammates with Garrett, a three-time Pro Bowler and two-time All-Pro, but he was also looking forward to learning from Garrett and his off-the-field interests.

"Myles Garrett is one of those rare breeds that I used to and still look up to to this day, not only as a person but on the field and how he works off the field," he said after he was drafted. "The stuff that he does behind the cameras, being able to just watch him and now have the chance to play across from him is like a dream come true. It feels surreal."

Wright will learn as much as he can from Garrett over the next several months as he prepares for his rookie year, but he knows the best way to fully prepare for it is to be himself.

That's why the Browns drafted him. Executive VP of Football Ops and GM Andrew Berry said Wright was a "favorite" across the organization not only because of what he showed on tape at UAB but because he was an intelligent person both on and off the field.

"This is a guy who when we brought him in for a 30 visit, everybody just spoke glowingly," Berry said after Wright was drafted. "He is very driven, he is very smart and a very humble individual, and we think he is a player who can really grow into the ideal big end for us and rush inside and out."

Wright certainly won't take the opportunity to play for the Browns for granted, either.

He felt as though he wasn't viewed as high as he should've in the pre-draft process because he played at a Group of Five school rather than the bigger, notorious programs of the Power 5. He also grew up in Elba, Alabama, a town with a population of less than 4,000, and ascended the high school recruiting ranks slower than some other players of his caliber.

But he still made the most of his time at UAB and created an opportunity in Cleveland. He knows he won't be unnoticed there.

"Just because I came from a small place doesn't mean I can't play football," Wright said. "I'm willing to strive and get better at it, not only on the field but off the field. Whether it's learning how to watch film or just getting knowledge and advice from the veterans. If you can play football the NFL is going to find you."

The Browns found him, and he could have a chance to come in and deliver an immediate impact as a rookie as he continues to adjust to the NFL level.

Building a relationship and learning from Garrett will be one way to accelerate that process, and with more common interests beyond football, that chemistry could build rather quickly.
Awfully skinny looking arms for a DE. Hope he's hitting the weights.
At 6'7", 270... I hope he's skipping the salad bar and hitting the steak.
He could use some weight training but at 6'7" those arms can knock down a lot of passes!
I view Alex Wright as a "project" based on his play on the field.

I have no idea what the Browns draft team saw that made them believe that Alex Wright deserved being drafted in the 3rd round.
They probably saw potential and the fact he'll be learning from one of the best; MG
The Browns pulled the rare 2 DE's in the same draft, ( which is a good thing, almost as good as a 3 or 4 De's in the same draft could wind up) but, of the draft picks above the 104 overall line, (the Browns 4 'real' drafted picks) only Alex Wright was a Defensive end.

( It's not brainiak, it's brawn-eye-yauk) (it's bryy-nee-uK)

ABOVE THE LINE! The Browns drafted in 2022, selections Martin Emmerson CB
Alex Wright DE, and
WR David BEll,
and the Line ends with the selection closest to 104 overall, not going to far above, like not 112th, I mean,
at 108th overall the Browns selected Perrion Winfrey.

Martin Emmerson, Alex Wright, David Bell, and Perrion Winfrey!

Martin Emmerson, Alex Wright, David Bell, and Perrion Winfrey! ... I don't know what analytics they are using. frown
Awfully skinny looking arms for a DE. Hope he's hitting the weights.

From the get go I have stated if he becomes a gym rat in 2 years he could be a STUD!
jmho
The next Jason Taylor, perhaps.
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
They probably saw potential and the fact he'll be learning from one of the best; MG

At a certain point in the draft that's mostly what's left to base your draft pick on. I just hope that those who seem so hopeful keep it within the context of what the odds are players at their position in the draft have of being solid NFL players.

Lot's of guys were learning from Joe Thomas and that didn't produce a wealth of great OT's in town.

Guys can learn all they want from another player, but that only goes so far. If they can't do what the other player can do as a baseline, a few tricks of the trade won't make much of a difference.

On a personal basis, Einstein could have taught me Physics, but it wouldn't have done much good. The best mathematics teacher I ever had took the attitude that he didn't assign much homework. His attitude was if you could or couldn't work the 3 problems he gave you, you could or couldn't work the 20 problems he gave you. Either you could or you couldn't. There wasn't any in between.

I loved that guy.
Ball I see your point but our FO saw something in this kid. He could turn out to be a good player for us with time to develop. I'm hoping so.
Ball I see your point but our FO saw something in this kid. He could turn out to be a good player for us with time to develop. I'm hoping so.

No disagreement there. I think he can be at the least a pretty good rotational guy if not a good starter.

My only point is over the years people talk about this guy or that guy can learn from so and so. I am just saying that only goes so far, and IMO it doesn't help a whole lot.
Peen you are thinking about the HOW TO stuff, I agree there is only so much a veteran can aide a young guy...point blank as Diam taught me, in the NFL its about the TALENT.

My point in all this is anything would rub off of Garrett and now Clowney on a young guy like Wright is that in the Gym room. How to work hard how to push each other. This kid Wright can become a 1st round talent if he becomes a gym rat and becomes dedicated to that regimen. I that regard it is important to have that veteran leadership.

jmho
Originally Posted by eotab
Peen you are thinking about the HOW TO stuff, I agree there is only so much a veteran can aide a young guy...point blank as Diam taught me, in the NFL its about the TALENT.

My point in all this is anything would rub off of Garrett and now Clowney on a young guy like Wright is that in the Gym room. How to work hard how to push each other. This kid Wright can become a 1st round talent if he becomes a gym rat and becomes dedicated to that regimen. I that regard it is important to have that veteran leadership.

jmho
I don't discount veteran leadership. Even in the weight room it only goes so far. If a guy is lazy in there, I don't think Garrett or Chubb are going to make a big difference. I am not saying none. Just saying just because Garrett is all world is going to take a guy from being lazy to a workout warrior.

People say that all the time about guys who get to sit and learn behind various QB's. I haven't seen many, if any of the guys to sat behind Brady turn in to all that much. Grappolo has done OK, but I don't know that his sitting behind Brady for a few years has made him any better than he would have been otherwise.
Most definitely Alex Wright or any of our PLAYERS have to have that desire to be the BEST which starts with being in the Best shape of their lives. Now its their job as a football player. They shouldn't have to be told but a kid like Wright did not have to work hard to be good and he skated by. But in the NFL everyone is in that category and if he wishes to get ahead he has to work hard. Some have to lose their spot and get released before it sinks in. Some get it right away and have that extra desire.
Hopefully we vetted him and other to be that kind of guy.
We agree to agree...lol laugh
We have been agreeing on more things than not over the last 23 years or more my friend.
yeah but you gave up on WINE...how could you...lol laugh
Originally Posted by eotab
yeah but you gave up on WINE...how could you...lol laugh

Well, I did. I am drinking a non-alcohol beer as I type. We'll just call that good.
© DawgTalkers.net