DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: lampdogg Beating Miami - 11/09/22 04:29 AM
Their QB has been very good, but he’s had concussions so a pass rush might intimidate him into mistakes. we need to get after him and make him antsy. MG
!!!!

On offence we should just keep running it, use play action, look for Coop. I hope Teller and NJoku play. It’s a must-win, boys, empty the tank.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 11:54 AM
We can win the game. Just play solid D and keep the O rolling.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 12:27 PM
It’s all about limiting the two WRs. They have a dynamic that’s really tough: SPEED. They are both burners and Tua gets it out fast. I’m interested to see how we attempt to cover them
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 12:29 PM
Hopefully, they will open the GameDay forum today. It usually shows up on Tuesdays. I'll add to your thread if/when they move it and I won't start a Matchup thread. I'll just put those thoughts on this one.
Posted By: FloridaFan Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 05:14 PM
This is a winnable game, but it is just as easily a losable game.

Good thing is, we are seeing a little cooling and lower humidity this week, so that should not be an issue in this game.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 06:03 PM
I think this is a very tough match-up for us. I believe the 'Phins are undefeated w/Tua playing the entire game. I think they also have the most efficient passing game in the league. The WRs are the fastest set in the NFL and their TE is also very good. We are coming off the bye week, so that should help some. Miami had the league's worst OL last year. Armstead was a huge get at LT this offseason. I think they are ranked around 22nd this year.

Key Matchups:

Browns Run Game Against Miami's Run Defense:

The Dolphin run defense has been in the top 10 this year, although they did give up 178 yards to Justin Fields last week. We don't have Fields at qb. Nevertheless, our running game is strong. Strength against strength here. We have to run to keep them honest, but I don't think we are going to run it down their throats.

Dolphins Run Game vs Browns Run Defense:

Miami has not run the ball well this year. They traded for Jeff Wilson right before the trade deadline. He joins fellow former 49er Mostert under the former OC of the 49ers, who is now the HC in Miami. Both backs are fast and can take it the distance. Miami's OL is shaky, though. Then again, so is our run defense.

Browns Passing Game vs Miami's Pass Defense:

Unlike their run D, Miami's pass D has been bad. Meanwhile, the Browns passing game has been very good. Brissett is a top 10 qb in many of the most important passing metrics. Hopefully, Njoku returns and takes some of the heat off of Cooper. I think we can exploit them through the air.

Miami's Pass Offense vs Cleveland's Pass Defense:

Miami probably has the best passing game in the league right now. Tua is playing excellent football. Hill and Waddle are game breakers. So much speed. Geisiki is a very good TE when called upon. Both Mostert and Wilson can catch the ball. Wilson had a TD reception last week. The Browns pass defense has improved since a bad start. Our corners are pretty good. However, Delpit is a real liability in pass coverage. We better play a ton of zone against them. Too much speed to use man coverages.

Special Teams:

I don't know enough about their units to form an intelligent opinion.

At the End of the Day:

I think we are good enough to beat them. I believe we are better than our record. I also believe their O is real while their D is a big question mark. At the end of the day, the fact that they are at home and have such a dynamic passing game gives them an edge that is probably too much to overcome.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 06:45 PM
Good analysis, Vers.

We can beat them, but we will need to put together a complete game to do so. Miami is too good on offense for us to be able to recover from multiple mistakes. Pressure on Tua is a must. That is when he can make mistakes, trying to do too much.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 07:16 PM
Earlier, I said we should play a lot of zone instead of man against Miami. I still feel that way, but I decided to check Tua's numbers vs mand and zone.

Completion %:
Man: 67.5
Zone: 73.4

Passer Rating:
Man: 127
Zone: 118.3

Accuracy Rating:
Man: 8
Zone: 8.4

Not a big discrepancy in any of those categories. I wish I could have saw his yards per attempt, sack rate, and Expected Completion percentage in both Man and Zone. That would paint a clearer picture.

One thing I did notice, is that is deep passer rating is really high. Having those two jets at WR helps that, but either way it presents a problem for our defense. Really worried about our Safety play in this game.
Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 07:54 PM
Tua is going to light us up!
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 08:04 PM
Interesting. You must have read the same article I did this morning. At 9 a.m.
Posted By: FATE Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 11:19 PM
Tua is leading the league in:

QB rating (115.9)
QBR (80.2)
TD percentage (6.9)
Third down QB rating (147 - highest since 1991)
Yards per attempt (9.2)
Net yards per play (8.5)

He's also pushing the ball down the field more efficiently than ever. Going into last Sunday's game, he had twice as many completions (32) to the middle of the field, over 10 air yards, as any other quarterback in the league.

At the PC yesterday, Stefanski said we need to "follow our rules" on defense. I hope that doesn't equate to a vanilla approach in hopes of merely limiting the damage he can do. If we can't create pressure, we're likely in for a long afternoon... If we can't get them off the field on 3rd down (see above), we're likely in for a long afternoon.

They have a tough run defense, and will likely stuff the box to dare us early on... Brissett will need to rise to the occasion again.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/09/22 11:51 PM
They are a passing offense not unlike the Bengals.

They use a lot shifts and motion. They scheme open and have the receivers.

Pressure is important as always.

The defense the Browns used against the Bengals where they were looping tackles and ends along with delays will be used again.

In addition we gave a lot of blitz looks pre-snap. We have used boundary corners both in press and off man. Mid-field we have been in zones.

I could see us using Ward in off man on Hill. Newsome on Waddle. Safety play will be important. I expect heavy use of nickle and dime.

The issue for them is Myles. He caused major problems for the Bengals. He forced many early throws underneath.

Our game plan IMO will not be much different than the Bengal game. Throw early. Run later. Apply pressure. Work for turnovers.

This could easily be a field goal deciding game. The lower the score the better our chances.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 01:24 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 01:35 AM
I noticed while watching Miami a few times: they love to have Tua hit the backside WR on a quick drop. Like three step, hit a slant on the backside. You gotta make him hesitate and not rely on his timing IMO
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 02:36 AM
I see very little hope of beating miami, they are going to shred this secondary, our only hope is to get the run game going and keep it low scoring, grind it out type
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by leadtheway
I see very little hope of beating miami, they are going to shred this secondary, our only hope is to get the run game going and keep it low scoring, grind it out type

And we will win because this is one we should lose.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 04:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

We CAN win... but it's unlikely... hope we play well but I'm expecting to lose this weekend
Posted By: mac Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 10:55 AM
The Browns defense will need to continue to improve and play their best game of the year against the fish, especially the Browns defensive backfield.

The pass rush and blitz packages have to keep the pressure on Tua.

The Browns offense needs take control of the line of scrimmage cash in on those trips to the red zone.

Time to feed the dawgs... thumbsup

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

We CAN win... but it's unlikely... hope we play well but I'm expecting to lose this weekend

If this is true, the Browns won't win another game this season. This is one of the easier games left.

A lot will depend on what Sterfanski did the last two weeks. Did he spend his time getting the waffle house menu laminated while reviewing "analytics" or did he spend the extra time devising a game plan, effectively communicating it to his staff and players and actually practicing it? I'm guessing the former. If it was the latter his players have to actually want to play for him and play like they care. That's happened once this season in the last game against a team who's number we seem to have.

With Buffalo next week the wheels will fall off if we lose this game. The season will essentially be over and the team will be staring at 3-14. We will then have people come on here and claim Stefanski is a good head coach because he has good run schemes.

And let me remind people that Stefanski isn't coaching against Reid, Belichek, McVay, Carrol, McDermott, Vrabel. He's coaching against some dude named Mike McDaniels in his first year who might be a bigger nerd than Stefanski. And we have people on here fully conceding and expecting a loss.

It doesn't seem to me that we are in good hands, and no one seems to believe we are.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 11:59 AM
Nerds rule.

Every coach begins somewhere.

Nine games to play. One game this year that we got trashed. And we won't win another game?

Must be fun sitting and watching games with you. We suck. Stefanski sucks. We will Always suck.

Posted By: Rishuz Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 12:10 PM
The Browns don't make watching football very fun. Are you enjoying this season? Do you enjoy watching them play? Do you enjoy watching guys run free in the secondary while the other team plays pitch and catch?

You had the same tune with Baker last year. No matter what evidence there was provided on the field you assured the rest of us that Baker was fine and his best days were ahead of him and that some were being overly critical. Now you're doing it with Stefanski evidence be damned.

I'm all for giving him time to figure it out, but to claim he's a good head coach is absurd. The reasons laid out in support of Stefanski are absurd. He did good during a year where there were no fans in the stands is actually used to support him being a good head coach. Maybe we can petition the league to keep fans out of Browns games.

He's a 3-5 coach on a team with 5 players in the top 100. The job he's done this year to date is abysmal. He's wasted yet another season.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 12:28 PM
I am enjoying the season.

We are different.

I never said Baker was anything. I just said he was not terrible.

We have a good team. There are guys on the team I really like.

I believe the future looks good.

I think Stefanski is a good coach and will get better.

You are welcome to believe we suck and Stefanski stinks. And we will lose Sunday and probably not win another game.

Hope you can find something to like.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 12:41 PM
The Cincy game was fun (obviously we won) because it appeared that our defense was urgent and together. It seemed like we cared to win.

Other games have not been fun at all for the opposite reasons
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 01:18 PM
If this is true, the Browns won't win another game this season. This is one of the easier games left.

What an absurd statement. Right now, I fear Miami more than any team on our schedule if Allen is indeed, hurt.

You are so focused on your agenda of trashing Stefanski and wallowing in self-pity that you have become delusional.

I still enjoy watching the Browns. I would not watch if they made me as miserable as they make you.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
The Cincy game was fun (obviously we won) because it appeared that our defense was urgent and together. It seemed like we cared to win.

We have cared in every game of the season. We fought hard in each game.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
He's a 3-5 coach on a team with 5 players in the top 100. The job he's done this year to date is abysmal. He's wasted yet another season.

To me this is interesting - you probably don't want to discuss because you like to offer your opinion and that's the end of the discussion. BUT ... I was expecting 3-5 or there abouts, but I was expecting that based on QB play that was similar to last year. The reality is we have excellent QB play from Brissett. I think someone posted stats to suggest he was performing at a top 5 level? So - despite having good/great QB play we are still a losing football team having played and won 2 games against bad teams in the Panthers and Steelers. We know the defense has struggled and is the primary reason for our record - this after coming off a season where they were statistically very good. . . . . So to me, interesting that we are 2 games below .500 with elevated QB play which was supposed to be the weakness.

We've discussed the DT position before and it really can't be an accident that the DT's on the roster are who we have. That's who they wanted ... sure they might want more talent, but the size of player and their (limited) attributes are what the FO and coaches decided they needed for this scheme. That seems like a problem. So too is the repeat performance of the defense starting out the season flat. So too are players like Ward playing unbelievably badly.

The Miami game seems like a microcosm for the balance of the season - they are a better team than Tampa, Pittsburgh, Washington ... but it almost doesn't matter. If Stefanski and Woods have the defense playing "up" - then we can make win Sunday and make a play off push. If the defense splutters, takes a step back or repeats what it has done in other games early in the season then the season is toast.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 02:01 PM
Getting back to the spirit of the thread instead of yet another Trash Stefanski thread, I'll post this article. It's best to click on the links to see all the Efficiency Charts that support the text.

Browns vs. Dolphins: What do the numbers say about this matchup?

Cory Kinnan
November 8, 2022 12:08 pm ET

The Cleveland Browns are coming off of their bye week, getting healthy, and are ready to take on the Miami Dolphins. Looking to win two in a row and save their season, the Browns will take on the 6-3 Dolphins, who line up pretty evenly on paper. Long story short, the Browns vs. Dolphins should be a good one.

Offensively, both teams are scoring at rates near the top in the entire league, and defensively, they are both lagging in preventing them.

We take a look here at how these two teams, unit-by-unit, match up with one another ahead of Sunday’s showdown in this Browns vs. Dolphins game. The numbers used in this article come from Football Outsiders and RBSDM.com.

Browns vs. Dolphins

MIA rushing attack vs. CLE rushing defense
Browns vs. Dolphins

Miami’s rushing attack is not near the top in the league. In DVOA, the Dolphins’ rushing attack has been identified as the 21st most efficient threat in 2022. Alternating between Raheem Mostert and newly-acquired Jeff Wilson, the Dolphins have found some recent success, however.

Mostert falls 11th in DVOA this season, while Wilson is not far behind at 16th.

The good news for the Dolphins? The Browns’ run defense is absolutely abysmal. Only the Green Bay Packers and Houston Texans have been scored out as a worse run-stopping unit than the one found in Cleveland. The Dolphins will do most of their damage through the air, but if there was a week to exploit a team on the ground, this would be it.

Advantage: Dolphins

CLE rushing attack against MIA rushing defense
Browns vs. Dolphins
Browns vs. Dolphins. Mandatory Credit: David Dermer-USA TODAY Sports

While the Dolphins do not have a top-shelf run game, the Browns do. Led by the best back in the league Nick Chubb, currently second in the league in rushing, the Browns hand the football off to their running backs more than any team in the NFL. And they have found great success doing so.

Not only is Chubb second in rushing yards, but he also falls second in DVOA as well. Kareem Hunt is significantly less efficient this season, falling 25th by the same metric. As a team, only the Baltimore Ravens, led by Lamar Jackson, run the football at a more efficient clip than the Browns.

Browns vs. Dolphins

The Dolphins, however, are no slouches against the run either. Using the same efficiency metric, this Miami defense is a top-ten unit against the run, falling seventh. There are, however, other fringe top-ten units below the Dolphins who the Browns have been able to beat on the ground, including the New York Jets, Pittsburgh Steelers, and Cincinnati Bengals.

While the sledding might be a bit more difficult on the ground this Sunday for Chubb and the Browns, they still hold an advantage over the Dolphins on paper.

Advantage: Browns

MIA passing attack vs. CLE passing defense
Browns vs. Dolphins

Unfortunately for the Browns, no team throws the ball at a more lethal and efficient clip than the Dolphins. That is not a hyperbole.

Tua Tagovailoa is Football Outsider’s most efficient quarterback this season, Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle both fall top-five in DVOA, and even tight end Mike Gesicki falls top-10 in a down year at his position. This team is littered with lethal weapons, meaning the Cleveland secondary and second level needs to be on their A-game.

Browns vs. Dolphins

The good news for the Browns, however, is that their secondary has been playing at a high level over their past two outings against the Ravens and Bengals. Starting in the bottom of the league, the Browns’ defense now falls 18th against the pass in DVOA despite a tumultuous start to the season.

It is not an exaggeration, however, to say this is the toughest task they have yet to face, and may be the toughest they will face all season.

Advantage: Dolphins

CLE passing attack vs. MIA passing defense
Browns vs. Dolphins

While the Miami passing offense is at the top of the league, their passing defense is at the bottom. Only the Las Vegas Raiders have a less-efficient passing defense than the Dolphins do thus far in 2022.

This bodes well for a Browns offense that is a top-10 unit through the air as well. By just about any metric, backup quarterback Jacoby Brissett has been playing at a minimum of a top-10 quarterback this season for the Browns. He is ninth in DVOA, seventh in QBR, and ninth in EPA per play.

As the Dolphins are stout against the run and not so much against the pass, the Browns may find more success behind the arm of Brissett in this matchup. He has a top-five tight end in David Njoku who has proved to be a significant mismatch in 2022, and a true number-one threat in Amari Cooper, who is playing at a top-ten level this season.

The Browns are going to need to hit some darts over the middle and deep down the field to keep boxes light. And Brissett has proven more than capable of doing so when needed for the Browns this season.

A glimpse at special teams
Browns vs. Dolphins

Believe it or not, the Miami Dolphins have the 32nd-ranked special teams unit in the league by Football Outsiders. The Browns are not world-beaters under Mike Priefer, falling 22nd in the same metric, but they enter this matchup with a significant advantage in the third phase of the game.

The Dolphins field a negative DVOA in every special teams unit, including a massive negative in their field goal department. The Browns are not much better, fielding their only positive DVOA on their kickoff unit, but the negatives are far less in the dirt than the Dolphins’ are.

All-in-all, neither of these teams is going to be hoping to put the game on the line and into the hands of a special teams unit.

Final thoughts on Browns vs. Dolphins
Browns vs. Dolphins

Long story short, despite the imbalance in their records, this Browns vs. Dolphins matchup will be a close one. And more than likely a high-scoring one as the Dolphins field a lethal passing attack and the Browns field a pretty balanced offense themselves.

Neither defensive unit is going to blow the doors off of the stadium when they line up, leaving opportunities for points. It will also not be a great showing of what spectacular special teams looks like either as both of the units are sinking below the average plane.

Coming off of the bye week, can the Browns stack wins for the first time this season and get their season back on the rails? It will not be an easy one to come away with a win in, but the Browns will have at least a small margin for error to work with.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-dolphins-numbers-breakdown-10-2020/
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

We have cared in every game of the season. We fought hard in each game.
I’d go back and watch our effort against New England
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 02:10 PM
The score would indicate you are correct. However, we scored a late TD to make it a one score game. We tried an onside kick and apparently recovered it. The officials ruled that AJ Green was out of bounds and touched the ball before Harrison secured the ball. We stopped them on a 3 and out and then we fumbled the punt which sealed the game. The late scoring made the final score look worse than it was.

To be clear, we played a bad game. But, we didn't give up. Furthermore, almost all of our games have been very close. This team has not quit. Not even close. I do wish we could concentrate on the upcoming game in this particular thread instead of yet another thread hijacked into a trashing Stefanski and the team thread. There are plenty of those threads around and if you notice, conversation is often stymied by the constant negativity in those threads.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 02:46 PM
FWIW: Hill and Waddle combined for 12 catches and 228 yds w/2 TDs last week. Tua threw for over 300 yds and 3 TDs for the second straight week. This offense is scary good.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 03:09 PM
The NE game was a bad game. It happens. We were out coached.

Belichick beats others as well. He is a master of defensive game plans. He beat us badly two years in a row.

I was pissed. I thought we should have learned more from the year before and would have been better prepared.

I think every team will have games where they stunk. So, I tossed that game away. That was the only game we were out of.

We can beat the Dolphins. It will not be easy. It looks to be a close game and could be a game where a field goal wins it. It could go either way IMO.

I know they have a good run defense. It does not matter much. We will still run on them. Unless we get behind by a couple scores. That is not our game.

We have to stay close to win. They are a chunk play team. That can cut two ways. You can get into third and long which is harder to convert.

Our game is 5 yard runs on first down. Keep it at third and short and move the chains. Some games we will have to throw early to set that up for play action.

Njoku is a guy we need. I am beginning to get comfortable with Cooper, DPJ and Njoku. Jacoby has chemistry with them.

I see our game plan being similar to the Bengal game. Like that game we may need the turnovers to win.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 03:33 PM

You say some crazy things and this certainly ranks in the top 10% of them.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 03:35 PM
I think the Bucs game is way easier than this one
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 06:21 PM
"I'm all for giving him time to figure it out, but to claim he's a good head coach is absurd. The reasons laid out in support of Stefanski are absurd. He did good during a year where there were no fans in the stands is actually used to support him being a good head coach. Maybe we can petition the league to keep fans out of Browns games."

This post is absurd. That is what is absurd. You have a thing against him. Sure throw away 2020 because of Covid. That means Stefanski only won because the fans were not there. What? Really?

Recall if you will. Baker was the quarterback and we played games without damn near half the team. Let alone it was his first year. Going to camp with Covid. That sure made camp a cake walk. We won a playoff game on the road in 2020.

2021 Baker gets injured. Plays injured. Case plays. OBJ turns the locker room over. Horrible play from the quarterback position all year except the first two games. We were still in the playoff picture with two weeks to go.

2022 Jacoby is the starter for 11 games. Let's see the Packers and the Bucs have the same record as us and they each have a Hall of Fame quarterback.

Know what else is absurd. You thinking you know what will happen over the next nine games. You don't know what will happen this week or next week.

Because nobody knows what a team will look like week to week. How will the Bills look without Allen? What if Tua gets another concussion?

How will we play with Watson? What other injuries will occur in the next nine games to any team?

Don't try and play Mr. Predicter because it does not wear well on any face.

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 06:32 PM
Whether there are fans in the stands or not is a very absurd premise. And while it's true nobody "knows" what will happen there are odds that give people a clear indication. Currently the Browns have an 8% chance of making the first round of the playoffs.....

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/nflpostseasonprob.html
Posted By: Hammer Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 07:08 PM
His takes on all things Browns is absurd. Always has been, always will be.

Just face it Bone, KS just does not "prioritize winning"...
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 07:22 PM
All these personal attacks were the same ones I got last year when I gave my opinion on Baker.

How did that turn out?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 07:30 PM
So you consider someone believing that your premise is absurd as being a personal attack? Really? That's actually rather absurd as well. Not that such behavior is all that unusual these days.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 07:39 PM
How about ...

All these colorful differences of opinion are similar to the ones I got last year when I gave my opinion on Baker.

How did that turn out?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 07:54 PM
So since you were right about Baker last year, what does that have to do with your opinion about Stefanski now? I'm still not sure what you think was posted that was so "colorful or personal" and I see that you chose not to specify on that part. Differences in opinions vary. People will always question differing opinions. And let's face it, claiming things like Stefanski can only perform without fans in the stands is a pretty flimsy argument that is certainly open to being dismissed.

I mean I have seen arguments against Stefanski where I can see why they think their points are valid. It makes at least some sense. And I'm not some huge Stefanski supporter. I see both sides but have not yet come to the conclusion that he should be fired. But come on man. You say something silly like his winning or losing is impacted on fans being in the stands or not and don't expect people to think that sounds pretty crazy? I mean, really?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 08:02 PM
Odds are a gambling line.

When the schedule comes out there are all kinds of odds.

What were the odds for the Bucs, Packers, Rams, Raiders, Bengals.

I am not arguing I am stating that the NFL is a week to week deal. The schedule is never what it appears to be.

Injuries are so much a part of the NFL it is impossible to say what will happen weeks from now.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 08:02 PM
All these personal attacks were the same ones I got last year when I gave my opinion on Baker.

How did that turn out?

I apologize for some of my word choices like absurd and agenda. I was wrong to say that.

However, there are plenty of threads about Stefanski's alleged incompetence. This one is supposed to be about the matchups for this week's upcoming game. Look at the thread now. It is no longer about the topic at all and instead yet another thread about agendas and personalities.

While I wish you would stay on topic and I find your constant complaining beyond depressing, I was still wrong for some of verbiage.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 08:22 PM
While I do understand what you're saying, injuries have always been a part of the game. This is an overview. Odds can differ from the start of the season to where a team is today. They can change moving forward. This is simply where they are now. The odds of a 3-5 team making the playoffs are very slim, but not impossible. I didn't mean to infer it was impossible. Yet at the same time it is what it is.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 08:44 PM
I'm going to reiterate something we all know and has bothered me since it happened. We should be 4-4 right now or even better but at 4-4 we would have a decent chance at the playoffs. We should have won that Jets game. We all know that. If we did, we would be in decent shape despite playing poor D, the mistakes and all the injuries. I should put it behind me and move on I know but it's been grating on me since it happened. It has to be in the top 5 worst defeats in my 55 years being a Browns fan.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 09:38 PM
I hear you loud and clear.

There is no way to factor in that type of loss.

Everyone loves the old quote from Parcells. "You are your record." Or, something like that. It sounds good and all football; no excuses etc. "next man up" type of quote. I get all that. But really you have to look at things closer to get a true understanding..

There can be a team difference between a team that say goes 8-9 and another team that goes 8-9.

One team could be playing a backup quarterback the whole year and the loses were all close games.

And the other team playing their starter all year and the games they lost where all blow outs.

They are not the same. Sometimes stuff goes your way. You don't get key bad calls that lose games.

Not all wins are beautiful and all loses ugly.

Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 10:01 PM
I'm getting to the point this year that I believe the top 20 teams are all so close in talent and lack of talent that the old any given Sunday rule is supercharged. So for games between any two teams in the top 20, we can guess but consistently predicting the winner is much harder than in years past. The browns CAN win any game against any team when they show up and play WELL. But that's the issue with a lot of teams this year, knowing who will show up, the winning team or the one struggling.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 10:45 PM
That is completely true.

I have been saying parity is so very real. 32 teams.

Maybe 5 good teams and 5 bad teams and even then the difference is not great.

It was always about the quarterback. Now look at Brady, Rodgers, Carr, Burrow, and Stafford.

Are Kirk Cousins, Jalen Hurts, Tua, and Gino Smith really that good?

The next three games will probably define this season. If we could win two. We could get back in the hunt. Three and I would be over the moon.

The games we lost outside of the beat down by the Pats are haunting. We have been good but just not good enough.

The nine games remaining are a mystery as far as i can tell.

I honestly don't know what will happen.
Posted By: DeisleDawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/10/22 10:49 PM
I believe the Browns will win this game !

They had their prime time win against the Bengals

Showed off to the country that they can be a contender

A good rest to prepare for a team many having them losing to

It's the second half of the season, hopefully the W's prevail over the L's

To start the second half of the schedule.
Posted By: FATE Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 12:24 AM
Jacoby says "I got this"

Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 12:34 AM
We are going to need him.

The Fins are not so good in pass defense. They will key on Chubb early. We will need to set up the run game with the pass game.

Then go play action to Chubb and Hunt.

Jacoby is getting in sync with Cooper, DPJ, and Njoku. We will need to get them to honor the passing game.

I have a good vibe about this game coming off a bye. But you never know. NFL games are close.

We need to play well to beat this team. I am hoping to build on the Bengal game.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 12:43 AM
I wonder if we’ll move MG around more than usual since Tia is a lefty. I wonder if we will employ four DEs more often, since it was successful against the Bengals, or was that more a product of our big lead? What do you guys think?

If JOK does play, I hope he can be more in synch with the rest of the D (if it’s true, as I’ve read, that he hasn’t been sticking to his assignments and resorting to more freelancing than he should).
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 12:47 AM
I think we will have a very difficult time stopping their passing game. I also think that their defense isn't so good. You never know how a game is going to turn out, but I think we have a chance even though I think Miami and Cinci are the two best offenses we will face all year. I say that w/the disclaimer that I think Josh Allen might be out when we play him. I injured my UCL when I was a senior in high school. Mine came while pitching in baseball. There are a lot of different variants of that particular injury, but it ruined my season. I had to rest because it was detached. It eventually healed, but the tendonitis that resulted from it led to a lot of pain anytime I threw too much. Again, not sure if his injury is the same because it starts in the upper arm and goes into the lower arm. Mine was right above the elbow and bunched up right below the elbow. I don't think that is what happened to him. But, I do think that rest is required w/that injury.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 12:48 AM
I wonder if we’ll move MG around more than usual since Tia is a lefty.

Also, Armstead is a very good LT. They got him in FA from New Orleans.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 12:51 AM
IMO the Browns defensive plan will be similar to the Bengal game.

Both teams are pass heavy. Yes I think we will stunt and loop on the entire DL. Myles will get moved around and he will attack with all his moves.

He is a big problem.

JOK IMO has played well. He sometimes over shoots and will miss a tackle. But overall he has played well. He makes open field tackles and can really cover.

I would love to get the lead early. A couple turnovers would help a lot.

I hope we can build on the Bengal game.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 01:06 PM
Browns vs. Dolphins: How does Cleveland slow down Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle?

Cory Kinnan
November 10, 2022 8:11 pm ET

Defensive coordinator Joe Woods is going to have to catch up on sleep next week. The Cleveland Browns are set to take on the Miami Dolphins and the most explosive offense in the NFL this Sunday. The NFL’s leading receiver in Tyreek Hill and his counterpart Jaylen Waddle (who is also a top-five receiver in yards) present a nightmare of a threat for the Browns to match.

The Browns have found some success over the past two weeks, but will now need a massive showing to come away with a win this Sunday. How can the Browns at least limit this lethal unit that features two premier receivers in Hill and Waddle?

Stay out of man coverage as much as possible

Browns vs. Dolphins: How does Cleveland slow down Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle? Mandatory Credit: Katie Stratman-USA TODAY Sports

This is an offense that will take any man coverage they see and find a wrinkle to exploit it. This is not to say the Browns cannot play any man coverage at all, but if they come out with frequency and try to punch Hill and Waddle in the mouth with consistency, then they will get run out of Hard Rock Stadium on Sunday.

The Dolphins do too good of a job at stacking receivers to give them free releases, running rub concepts, and just flat-out winning vertically to think this can be an effective plan of attack. Even with two twitchy and athletic cornerbacks in Greg Newsome and Denzel Ward, this would be quite ill-advised.

Both Hill and Waddle also run 40-yard dashes in the 4.2s and can cut on dimes. Giving them space deep to work, even giving Tagovailoa those looks consistently is not a winning formula. There is not a secondary in the NFL that can track these guys deep and across the field for 60 minutes.

The Browns, however, can bring exotic blitzes that will require a bit of man coverage from time to time. But for the most part, they are going to have to win with four bringing heat up front.

Quarters and Cover-6 will be the Browns' best friend

Woods runs a great deal of quarters coverage (Cover-4). This will once again be deployed at will against the Dolphins. With the secondary playing well over the past two weeks, they will get a boost from Denzel Ward’s return as well. Coming out of the bye, there is no excuse for any more blown coverages in Cleveland.
Quarters allow for the Browns to lockdown the deepest part of the field. It prevents them from getting killed on crossers (that Cover-3 is weak against) and will help to limit the explosive plays deep down the field. This will, however, put a ton of pressure back onto the linebackers as it takes defensive attention away from the middle of the field.

Cover-6, also known as quarter-quarter-half, is a Cover-4 and Cover-2 hybrid where half of the field is in quarters, while the other half is in Cover-2. It offers disguise pre-snap and gives relief deep down the field while also not compromising the seam. It can, however, be vulnerable underneath.

This may be the compromise the Browns have to make against a lethal offense that can win in a variety of ways. Give Tagovailoa a bit of nuance pre-snap, limit explosive plays deep and up the seam, then rally to the football underneath.

There is no perfect answer, and there is no bulletproof defense, but there are ways to limit explosive opportunities.

Linebackers will be asked to wear capes

The Dolphins love their crossers and they love to hit backside digs up the hashes. Not to mention they have a plethora of weapons to attack the seam as well without compromising other levels of the field.

This means the linebackers, Sione Takitaki, Deion Jones, and hopefully Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (who missed the game against the Cincinnati Bengals and has yet to return to practice) are going to have to hit deeper landmarks on their drops.

The Browns are going to have to compromise somewhere in their game plan against the Dolphins and the speed of Hill and Waddle, and underneath may just be that compromise. If these linebackers are forced to hit deeper drops, then they also are going to have to fire downhill when receivers are targeted underneath and rally to the football.

When in Cover-2 or Cover-6, linebackers may also be asked to match inside guys vertically and turn and run with them. Not to mention they also need to remain in a position to fit the run when the Dolphins hand the ball off as well.

This will be their toughest game of the season, and by a lengthy distance.

Final thoughts as Browns prepare for a massive battle

This Dolphins’ offense is lethal, making them difficult to defend. If the Browns look to bring pressure from the second level, they are well-equipped to replace that pressure on RPOs and shallow crossers. If the Browns sit back in Cover-3, the Dolphins will kill them with deep crossers.

The Browns cannot play a significant amount of man coverage in this game either or they are going to get boat-raced out of Hard Rock Stadium. This will put a ton of pressure on the front four to get home. Sure, the Browns can bring pressure on occasion and off of their normal tendencies, but they have to keep Tagovailoa on his toes.

They are going to have to run Cover-2 on Third and mediums, looking to muddy up the middle of the field, while sitting in Cover-4 or Cover-6 throughout most of the game.

Owusu-Koramoah, Takitaki, and Jones are going to be tested. They are going to have to drop deep over the middle to take away backside digs. A ton will be on their plate.

Hill and Waddle are going to get theirs. There is just no way around it. Both are top-five in the league in receiving yards, with Hill being the first over 1,000 on the season. The Browns, however, can hope to potentially slow them down.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 01:20 PM
I don’t know enough X’s and O’s to explain how to stop their WRs. All i know is that stopping those two WRs would be beneficial lol
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 01:40 PM
I talked about how we should not play man against Miami. I think the author of the article I just posted is correct about playing a lot of Quarters and Cover 6. Those coverages should help take away the deep pass and the intermediate crossing routes. However, the short passes will be open. I'd rather they kill us by a thousand cuts than beat us w/nuclear bombs.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 01:49 PM
j/c

Not playing (a lot of) man coverage against elusive, fast receivers who get separation seems like the biggest no-brainer of all time. Coming up with enough variations in zone coverage to prevent being picked apart all day is going to be nearly as big a challenge - but in theory one that should give up less chunk plays. I think the only realistic way to disrupt their passing game which has been outstanding will be to combine two elements on the same play and get a little lucky -- get pressure on Tua while having disguised the defense enough that Tua makes a mistake on a read and quick throw. Pressure without having mixed up the coverages won't do it by itself - and without pressure and forcing a quick read, changing the coverages won't do it.

Based on what I have seen from Woods over the last couple f years I'd expect a lot of off coverage giving up the underneath all day. Based on Greedy this year to date, I'm concerned. Based on how well the D played vs Cinci - we can win with a similar performance.

Going to add - we can score 40 and still lose this game. I don't want moral victories about how good one side of the ball was .... we need to do it on both sides of the ball. (and Special Teams).
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 01:49 PM
We’ll definitely play zone then since it’s Woods’ style anyways. In basketball, you like to still mix it up JUST enough to keep them off balance, even if it goes with a team’s strength. Maybe some man looks with some pressure too. Like I said, I don’t know nearly as much as most of you with it
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 01:56 PM
The good thing is that Cover 4 and Cover 6 look almost the same pre-snap, which allows us to mix things up. Of course, down and distance along w/the score and time of the game will call for other coverages like Cover 3 and Cover 2.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 01:58 PM
Gotcha. I have read that the trend in the NFL is to keep stuff in front, especially against these high powered offenses. Miami is certainly one of those
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 02:01 PM
Their elite speed at WR is unique. Hill is probably the fastest guy in the NFL. Waddle is right there w/him. Also, there is this.......I saw a graphic when watching one of the pre-game shows last night about Tua against Man coverage. He was either first or second in almost meaningful category, w/the majority of them being first. I tried to find a link for it a little bit ago, but was unable to do so.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 02:02 PM
That would make sense with their quickness and his anticipation skills. I heard Ryan Fitzpatrick say that Tua is the best anticipatory he’s played with.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 02:05 PM
Interesting. That's pretty high praise from Fitz-Magic.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 02:06 PM
That’s what i thought too
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 03:54 PM
I'll give you another old saying or at least an accurate version of it. In close games good teams find a way to win. Not so good teams find a way to lose. That helps explain the 3-5 record.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 04:26 PM
Good but not good enough.

I was listening to AVP today from his presser.

I like the guy. Think he may get a head coaching shot in the future. I have been really impressed with our offense.

Jacoby was the right guy to go get. Berry should be recognized for bringing him in. Cooper was a flat out steal.

People questioned extending Njoku. Again the right decision. DPJ has developed into a reliable third down receiver. He makes tough catches. Jocoby looks for him on those third and six downs.

We knew we could run the ball. But, the efficiency of the offense is surprising.

The defense overall has been a disappointment. The games we gave away there are no excuses.

I have been encouraged the last two games. The defense has improved. Going forward there is no margin for error.

If we don't become more consistent on defense; this season is a wash.

Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 04:37 PM
Defense is all about unit integrity. Players have to be accountable. They have to do their job.

All of football is interdependent. But when you mess up on defense against a team like the Dolphins. You can fall behind real fast.

We are not a big chunk team. We are a move the chains team. We do well when we get yards on first and second downs and leave third and short.

We succeed that way. If we fall behind by 14 in the second half. We are in trouble.

The rest of this season IMO will be defined by how well we play on defense.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 04:42 PM
I'm not sure what your point is in all that concerning the point that I made. Even you yourself have stated that we should be at least 5-3. That we have lost some hard fought games that could have gone either way. The only actual difference is when it came down to the fourth quarter our opponents have been the ones who found the will to win. The Browns were the team who couldn't make the play when it counted most. And that was my entire point. Jacoby threw a couple of fourth qtr. int's. The defense gave up winning scores. What a team accomplishes in crunch times separates the winners from the losers.

Now that's not to say it will continue that way. That's not to say it's some predictor of the future. But that is what has been happening to this point.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
I was listening to AVP today from his presser.

I like the guy. Think he may get a head coaching shot in the future. I have been really impressed with our offense.

So why not let him call plays? He did it in the most important game the Browns have played in the last 20 years and it was a smashing success. This would free Stefanski up to focus on the entire team on game days.

Prioritize winning.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 05:11 PM
Dolphins host Browns looking for fourth straight win

CLEVELAND (3-5) at MIAMI (6-3)

Sunday, 1 p.m. EST, CBS

FANDUEL SPORTSBOOK NFL LINE:

AGAINST THE SPREAD: Browns 4-4; Dolphins 4-5.

SERIES RECORD: Dolphins lead 11-9.

LAST MEETING: Browns beat Dolphins 41-24 on Nov. 24, 2019, at Cleveland.

LAST WEEK: Browns beat Bengals 32-13; Dolphins beat Bears 35-32.

BROWNS OFFENSE: OVERALL (4), RUSH (3), PASS (16, SCORING (7).

BROWNS DEFENSE: OVERALL (15), RUSH (22), PASS (15), SCORING (T24).

DOLPHINS OFFENSE: OVERALL (5), RUSH (29), PASS (2), SCORING (10).

DOLPHINS DEFENSE: OVERALL (23), RUSH (15), PASS (23), SCORING (25).

TURNOVER DIFFERENTIAL: Browns minus-4; Dolphins minus-3.

BROWNS PLAYER TO WATCH: WR Amari Cooper is coming off his best game for Cleveland — five receptions, 131 yards and a TD. A precision route-runner, Cooper has been everything the Browns hoped since trading for him in March. The eight-year veteran scored two TDs in his previous game against Miami for Dallas in 2019.

DOLPHINS PLAYER TO WATCH: WR Tyreek Hill has a league-best 1,104 yards receiving. He needs 86 more to reach 1,190 and break the NFL’s Super Bowl-era record for most receiving yards through the first 10 games of a season (Julio Jones, 1,189 in 2015).

KEY MATCHUP: Browns RB Nick Chubb vs. Dolphins rushing defense. Miami allowed the Bears to rush for 252 yards last week. Chubb’s production — 841 yards rushing, 10 rushing touchdowns, 5.64 yards per carry — is one of the main reasons for Cleveland’s No. 4-ranked offense.

KEY INJURIES: Browns CB Denzel Ward could return after missing three games with a concussion. Ward is essential for countering Miami's speedy wide receivers. ... Browns TE David Njoku (knee) and LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (knee) were both limited this week. ... Browns Pro Bowl RG Wyatt Teller (calf) is back after missing two games. ... Dolphins RT Austin Jackson is still working his way back from an ankle injury. ... TE Hunter Long is still in the concussion protocol. ... WR River Cracraft was limited this week with an illness. ... LT Terron Armstead was limited with toe and calf injuries.

SERIES Game notes
The Browns have won five of the past seven matchups. ... Cleveland and Miami have met twice in the postseason. In 1972, the Dolphins beat the Browns 20-14 on the way to their unbeaten 17-0 season. ... Miami and Cleveland last faced each other at Hard Rock Stadium in 2016. The Dolphins defeated the Browns 30-24 in that game. ... Miami’s largest margin of victory was by 17 points on Nov. 25, 1990. ... Cleveland’s largest margin of victory was by 28 on Oct. 25, 1970.

STATS AND STUFF: The Browns return from their bye week, which followed a solid all-around performance in the win over Cincinnati. ... The Browns play six of their next nine games on the road. ... QB Jacoby Brissett had a career-high 133.7 rating after completing 17 of 22 passes for 278 yards and a TD against the Bengals. ... Brissett spent last season with the Dolphins, going 2/3 in five starts. He laughed when asked if he wanted revenge on Miami. “They didn’t do anything wrong to me,” he said. "I’m a little too old to hold grudges if they did. It's not my style. ... Browns coach Kevin Stefanski is 2-0 following a bye. ... Chubb (46) needs two rushing TDs to move into third place on the team's career list behind Hall of Famers Leroy Kelly (74) and Jim Brown (106). Chubb rushed for 106 yards and a TD in Cleveland's 2019 win over Miami. ... Chubb and Dolphins LB Bradley Chubb are cousins. ... Browns All-Pro DE Myles Garrett had 1 1/2 sacks vs. the Bengals and has 7 1/2 this season. ... Cleveland's defense limited Cincinnati to 36 yards rushing on Oct. 31. ... LB Sione Takitaki had a career-high 13 tackles and a sack vs. Cincinnati. Takitaki's role expanded following season-ending injuries to Anthony Walker Jr. and Jacob Phillips. ... Dolphins QB Tua Tagovailoa has 18 completions, a 64.3 percent completion rate and 117.6 passer rating on throws of 20 yards or more. ... Miami's Mike McDaniel joined Dave Wannstedt as the only coaches in Dolphins history to win at least six of their first nine games. Wannstedt went 7-2 in his first nine games in 2000. ... The Dolphins are 5-3 in their past eight road games. ... The Dolphins haven't started the season 7-3 since 2001. ... RB Raheem Mostert is Miami’s leading rusher with 478 yards and is on pace to surpass his career high of 772 yards set in 2019. ... Miami is second in the NFL in yards per play (6.33). ... The Dolphins have faced five of the NFL's top 15 scoring defenses this season: Bills, Patriots, Jets, Vikings, and Bengals. ... LB Melvin Ingram has faced the Browns five times in his career and has 16 tackles, three sacks, one pass defensed, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

FANTASY TIP: Hill has scored more fantasy points than any receiver in 2022, even though he only has three touchdowns this season. Hill has 266 yards and 15 catches in two games against the Browns.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/preview/_/gameId/401437836
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 06:51 PM
Because Stefanski is good at it.

The offensive production as proved that in every metric you look at. And that is with a back-up quarterback.

AVP is a good coordinator and I am sure it is collaborative process both in preparing the game plan and calling the plays.

Posted By: SuperBrown Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 07:01 PM
Browns 12
Dolphins 52

Tua 7 TD passes
Hill 250 yards receiving.
Waddle 225 yards receiving
Posted By: mac Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 10:24 PM
jc...

First, let's not act like the Fish are world beaters and that they can't lose. Take a look at their record which happens to be 6-3...
then hopefully our coaching staff looks at how other teams beat them.

........Dolphins vs...__________
Sep 11...W..20...H...Patriots....7....
Sep 18...W..42...@...Ravens...38...
Sep 25...W..21...H...Bills........19...
Sep 29...L...15...@...Bengals..27..
Oct 9.....L...17...@...Jets........40..
Oct 23...W..16....H...Vikings....24..
Oct 30...W..31....@...Lions......27..
Nov 6....W..35....@...Bears.....32..

Hopefully the Browns coaching staff did some serious film study, taking note of what other teams did to beat the Fish and the
mistakes that teams made that lost to the Fish.

These guys are beatable...

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/11/22 11:32 PM
No one said that they are unbeatable. Well, other than Super Brown...LOL. I will tell you that they are undefeated w/Tua. I do think you might want to look at their record w/Tua and w/out Tua this year, especially because you are a truth seeker and not an agenda poster.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 01:18 AM
YOU are one of the only agenda posters. It gets old.
Posted By: mac Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 01:36 AM
Tua did start against the Bengals and played approx 25 minutes of the first half and went out of the game with 5:15 left in the 2nd qtr with the Dolphins behind to the Bengals 7 to 6 for the Dolphins.

Bridgewater played the remainder of the game with the final score Bengals 27, Dolphins 15.

Over the last 2 games with Tua starting, the Dolphins squeaked by the 2w-6L Detroit by a score of 31-27 and beat the 3w-6L Bears by 3 pts, 35 to 32.

With Tua or not, the Dolphins have their weaknesses and have failed to dominate some of the weaker teams over the last 2 weeks.

Also, Tua's rushing average is approx 5 yds per game..not the running threat I expected.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 02:55 AM
Miami will be one of the better offenses (maybe the best?) that we will have seen to this point. It’s all about us minimizing their big plays
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 04:06 AM
I'm telling you all right now, this is the kind of game we dominate. We should get our asses handed to us. It's past mid-season where we tend to play a more complete game. And we are going in knowing they are tough. We win this big I think.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 12:38 PM
mac, the Dolphins are 5 and 1 w/Tua. The only loss was the game against Cinci. He has thrown for 300 yards w/3 TDs in consecutive games. He threw for 381 just last week. He passed 469 yards against the Ravens. To not acknowledge the importance of his presence is deceptive. Again, no one other than maybe Super Brown is saying we can't win this game, but this is a tough matchup. To insinuate that it is not is dishonest. It's almost like you are saying that so you can rip the FO and Stefanski if they lose.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 12:50 PM
This is one of those games that most people will feel the Dolphins will win.

They have lots of weapons. Their qb is playing well. They are at home. They are a contender for their division.

The Dolphin's record is 3 wins, 3 loses, 3 wins. They have beat good teams and lost to bad teams. Some of their victories were close games against bad teams.

We can win this game. Sounds simplistic but we have to play a sound all around game. We are coming off our best played game.

Hopefully the Bengal game will provide that blueprint to how we can play. And we can get on a roll.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 02:05 PM
This is one of those games I've seen before where so much
Attention is given to players A and B.....then player C is overlooked
And has a career day.regarding the Dolphins offense.
Mike McDaniel is a emerging NFL coach. He knows his Xs and Os
He might come out and make Mike Giesecki a huge part
Of the gameplan and let him control the middle of the field
Key to beating the Dolphins is precise open field tackling
Limiting Waddle and Hill to no YAC.
It's a winnable game that should be treated as a Playoff game
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 02:57 PM
Agree - but I'd feel more confident if we'd not crushed Cinci. Battered Browns Syndrome has my gut in a knot and feeling like we'll come out flat and disappoint.

Top the post above by iluvmy - yes, McDaniel is an emerging HC. It'll actually be quite interesting to see how KS prepares and how the team executes against him/his offense and those amazing weapons at WR.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 03:08 PM

Yeah, I wish Stefanski ran a similar scheme as McDaniel, Shanny, and all the guys from that tree.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 03:22 PM
So we should watch for Giesicki
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 04:27 PM
Two years ago Stefanski was an emerging head coach. Now look where we are. Back to back losing seasons.

McDaniels will follow a similar path. Him nor Tua are sustainable.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Yeah, I wish Stefanski ran a similar scheme as McDaniel, Shanny, and all the guys from that tree.

He does a similar scheme. I know you know that. Great post.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 06:25 PM
I don't remember the receiver's name. But, I saw an interview with a receiver who was traded to where McDaniels was coaching.

He said he thought he knew receiver technique until he met McDaniels. He said the guy was amazing. That he knew more about receiver technique than anybody he had come in contact with before. Not just receiver techniques but all passing game schemes and routes for all types of receivers.

Subtle details that he never heard of before. Last week on NFL Matchup with Greg Cosell. They went over some of the routes the Dolphins run.
How the concepts were developed to create open guys. Lots of shifts, motion, and rubs. They concentrate on mid-field.

There is a reason for that Tua lacks arm strength to deliver accurate deep ball passes. If you watch him he has to really load up to throw the ball deep and the passes hang.

This a classic case where our defense has to load mid-field with zone coverage. I wish JOK was back because he can cover in the zone coverage scheme.

I could see us playing three corners, (Newsome, Ward and Emerson) with two safety's over top. We can mix it up from cover two to other zone coverages.

Because of the length and speed of Clowney and Myles teams plan on getting the ball out quickly. We need to make Tua hold it a bit longer or force him to make check downs early. Pressure leads to mistakes.

My vibe for the game is not battered Browns syndrome. I think the bye came at a good time. Coming off the Bengal game is a positive.

In addition Jacoby is improving and really finding the groove with Cooper and DPJ. Bummer about Njoku being out. But I still think Bryant will get a few targets.

I am always hopeful.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 06:33 PM
You may wish to take a look at this.....

.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0KGq1P5MEo

What were you saying about Tua's ability to throw the deep ball again?
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 06:42 PM
The link is not working.

I have watched some of his tape. I know when I see a guy who has to muscle up to throw. I have also seen catches made on deep balls that had little to do with accuracy and more about being way open. Balls hanging up and the receivers making the catches.

So I believe my eyes.

Just because a pass is completed does not always mean throw was great.

There is a reason behind the Dolphins throwing more balls mid range and getting YAC yardage.
Posted By: RememberMuni Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 09:39 PM
J/C
Not a winnable game at all. It’s in Miami. They have a good head coach that they play hard for. Their defense isn’t bad, especially after picking up Bradley Chubb. Their offense is more explosive than ours.
Miami 31 Browns 13
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 10:09 PM
Interesting.

I look at who beat them and by how much.

Jets 40 Fins 17
Bengals 27 Fins 15
Vikings 24 Fins 16

Last three games.

Fins 16 Steelers 10
Fins 31 Lions 27
Fins 35 Bears 32

I am not overwhelmed.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/12/22 10:44 PM
Agreed. If we play the way we played the last 2 games we can win. JMO
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 02:09 AM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 10:55 AM
IIRC we went to SF on a Monday night game a few years ago and McDaniels as OC torched us on the ground
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by bonefish
Interesting.

I look at who beat them and by how much.

Jets 40 Fins 17
Bengals 27 Fins 15
Vikings 24 Fins 16

Last three games.

Fins 16 Steelers 10
Fins 31 Lions 27
Fins 35 Bears 32

I am not overwhelmed.

Tua was injured in the first half of the Bengal game. He did not play against the Jets and Vikings. Winning your starting qb is hard enough. Winning w/a backup qb is extremely hard, although we have posters on here who ignore that.
Posted By: Jcamm Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 12:43 PM
Run the freaking ball , limit poss for Mia, Hands up knock down passes, jam WR at line
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 12:46 PM
Avoid the over-rated rocket science and tom foolery of trickery. Dictate the ball game. Run and jam, just like it says.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 12:50 PM
Right.
Except Tua doesn't play defense.

Nobody looks at us and says well Jacoby is the starter.

We get. We suck. We will always suck. Fire Stefanski. No excuses. Stefanski needs to start coaching the defense.

You are what your record says you are.

Damn Ok. We suck, we will always suck, fire everyone and bring back Greg Williams.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 12:57 PM
LOL. Very true.

The most popular win prediction for this team was winning 6 games this year. We sit at 3 and 5 and have lost some very close games and lost a miracle game, yet people are acting surprised by our record. I predicted we would win 8 to 10. That's still possible.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 01:30 PM
This will probably be a tough close game.

That is ok. I hope we can win this one.

If we do I feel confident we can win one of the next two. If so, we are in this thing.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 01:40 PM
It would be great if we could sustain long drives that eat up the clock and keep their offense off the field.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 01:52 PM
That is our game. It is what we do well when we win.

We stay ahead of the chains. We get to third and short. We mix it up. We run and we throw efficiently.

We have been a good offensive team and I believe that we will continue to be just that.

My concern is defensive consistency. It has been a issue. I am not expecting a gigantic turn around. I am hoping we can play good enough defense to win games.

We have played well defensively the last two games. I am hoping that it is the beginning of being consistent.
Posted By: Dawg Citizen Re: Beating Miami - 11/13/22 04:40 PM
Have to run the ball and control the clock. Need a big day from Chubb. Keep Miami's offense off the field as much as possible.
© DawgTalkers.net