DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Versatile Dog Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 02:47 PM
Last year's NFL Playoffs were perhaps the best I have ever seen. It's an exciting time of year for people who enjoy watching football. Wild Card Weekend is typically the worst round of the playoffs, but let's take a quick look at this week's games.

Seattle @ SF: Pete Carroll has once again proven to be an excellent HC and Geno Smith has had a story book year. However, SF has the league's best defense and a ton of weapons surrounding their rookie qb. They should win.

Chargers at Jacksonville: Tough one to call. Jax blew out the Chargers earlier this year. Yet, the Chargers have superior talent. I do think Staley, the Chargers HC is the worst in the league and is wasting prime years of Herbert's career. I'd say this is a toss up.

Miami at Buffalo: The teams split the season series. Tua is out. Buffalo should roll.

Giants at Vikings: Minni won on Christmas Eve when Greg Joseph [remember him?] kicked a 61 yard FG at the end of the game. The Vikings have a lot more talent and should win, but look for the Giants to put up a lot of yards against Minni's defense. It probably doesn't make sense, but I see an upset in the cards.

Ravens at Bengals. The teams split the season series. Lamar is probably out. The Bengals are a well-rounded teams w/a superior qb. It will be a hard-fought game, but Cinci should prevail.

Dallas at Tampa Bay: Dallas should win, but Dak is not playing well and Dallas is not good on grass. Who do you trust----Dak or Brady? The Cowboys should roll, but I would not be shocked to see an upset.
Posted By: FATE Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 02:53 PM
Didn't realize there was a Monday Night game... Did we do that last year?

[Linked Image from u.cubeupload.com]
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 03:21 PM
Yes, the Cardinals and Rams played on Monday night last year.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 04:19 PM
49ers
LA
Bills
Bengals

I think those are all straight forward. Dallas should win but there are some glaring issues for Dallas at the moment. Minnesota should beat the Giants - but they have played poorly recently.

If I watch one game it will be Lawrence vs Herbert - everyone anointed Herbert as the second coming some time ago, but while sometimes he looks sublime, he's also sometimes underwhelmed on the bigger stage. Be interesting to see this game and how it plays out. Pederson for me is coach of the year and if he somehow wins this game i think it would cement that.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 04:34 PM
49ers win in a blowout.

Bills in a blowout.

Chargers win a tight one. I think this is the most exciting game of the weekend.

Vikings win.

Bengals cruise to a win.

Cowboys defense does enough to beat Tom Teriffic before he heads to Las Vegas next season.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 05:19 PM
Seattle @ SF: I don't see any way that Seatlle can pull this off. Geno has certainly had the best season of his career, but Purdy has been on an even better streak and there's no doubt that Shanahan can out coach pretty much any HC in the NFL. San Fran wins easily.

Chargers at Jacksonville: I certainly agree that this is a tough one to call. I really like Jacksonville and will be rooting for them to win. But in the end I think the overall talent level will win out. Chargers in a close one but I hope I'm wrong.

Miami at Buffalo: While Josh Allen has certainly looked more human than usual lately there's no way this game should be close with Tua out. Bills roll easily.

Giants at Vikings: The Vikings have been playing below the threshold of how they played earlier in the season. The Giants have been playing above their threshold from earlier in the season. Momentum has a big influence in the playoffs. But I just think the difference in talent is a little too much. Vikings in a squeaker.

Ravens at Bengals: The Bengals and I don't think it will be that close. With or without Lamar.

Dallas at Tampa Bay: With Dallas and Dak you never know what you're going to see form week to week. Brady has always been a clutch QB but nobody can deny age forever. At some point it gets everyone. If Dallas can light it up early it will be a cake walk for them. If not it will be close and I can't rule out Tom terrific pulling off his usual usual greatness at least for now. Still the Cowboys, other than this past week, have been putting quite a few points on the board. As much as it goes against my feelings on the matter, I'm going to give the Cowboys an edge in this one.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 06:01 PM
SATURDAY:

NINERS OVER SEAHAWKS
CHARGERS OVER JAGS

SUNDAY:

BILLS OVER DOLPHINS
GIANTS OVER VIKINGS (UPSET SPECIAL)
BUNGALS OVER RATS

MONDAY:

COWBOYS OVER BUCS
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 06:49 PM
j/c

I have no idea if this will impact anyone's picks, but as a matter of full disclosure for those yet to make your picks I thought I would provide this information.

Bills sign WR Cole Beasley to 53-man roster

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-sign-wr-cole-beasley-to-53-man-roster
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/12/23 07:11 PM
I’m going to say:

San Francisco over Seattle
Jacksonville over LA Chargers
Buffalo over Miami
Minnesota over NY Giants
Cincinnati over Baltimore
Dallas over Tampa Bay
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 01:58 AM
49ers
Jags
Bills
Vikings
Bengals
Bucs
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 01:59 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’m going to say:

Buffalo over Miami
Minnesota over NY Giants
Dallas over Tampa Bay

Smart man smile
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 02:28 AM
As long as the Giants and Miami Final is still possible, got to go with that.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 03:07 AM
49ers, Chargers, Bills, Vikings, Ravens, Cowboys.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 04:42 AM
Niners, Jags, Bills, Giants, Ravens, Bucs.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by jaybird
I’m going to say:

Buffalo over Miami
Minnesota over NY Giants
Dallas over Tampa Bay

Smart man smile
we’ll see Tuesday morning 😂
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 06:30 PM
Another questionable decision that backfires on Staley.

Posted By: FATE Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 06:36 PM
I don't get it, what backfired?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 06:52 PM
He played the starters almost the entire game that was meaningless. It's not a guaranteed dumb decision, but it was questionable. The guy has made more blunders than any coach in the league the last two years. I predict that Sean Payton will end up w/the Chargers if they don't make a deep Super Bowl run this year. I've heard that they are his desired location.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/13/23 08:36 PM
I’m going to say:

Buffalo over Miami
Minnesota over NY Giants
Dallas over Tampa Bay

I agree with these except Chargers will win.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 12:53 AM
San Fran
Jax
Buffalo
NY Giants
Cincy
Tampa
Posted By: FATE Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 01:07 AM
49ers
Chargers
Bills
Giants
Bengals
Bucs
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 02:48 PM
Due to a lot of attention after last year's Buffalo/KC epic playoff game because Josh Allen never got the ball in OT, a new rule was created for playoff games. It goes something like this:

--The OT has been extended to 15 minutes instead of the 10 minute OT in the regular season

--Both teams are guaranteed a possession in OT.

--If the teams are tied after each team has possessed the ball, the game would become Sudden Death, which means that the first team to score would win the game.

--The game would end if both teams score TDs and second team goes for two.

I think the new rule changes the strategy in OT. It's always been to take the ball first in OT. With the new rule in place, teams will now defer. Kicking off to the other team would allow the second team to know exactly what they need in order to win or extend the game. That is a huge advantage based on the flip of a coin.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 05:44 PM
It was much smarter back in the nineteen eighties. I don't give a # if your team never possessed the ball in OT, you didn't win it in regulation, if you didn't want to lose in sudden death one score overtime, then Don't go to overtime.
We end up with the Worst super bowl winning teams ever with this watered down namby pamby league.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 09:18 PM
San Fran. I don’t think Seattle can stop their run game at all.

Jags. I think the Chargers have superior talent but I think their coach will blow this game on stupid calls.

Bengals. The Ravens don’t have a QB

Bills. Miami doesn’t have a QB

Vikings. I think they get it done because of Jefferson

Dallas. I don’t have a lot of faith in Dallas to win when it matters but they are playing a sub .500 team.
Posted By: bigdatut Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 09:35 PM
49'ers healthily
Jaguars late and close
Bills big
Giants late and close
Bengals big
Cowboys close
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 09:40 PM
Two NFC teams begin wild card week.
I don't even think the NFL is real football anymore, so the only reason to watch are the matchups.

Yet there are NO, ZERO matchups in the NFC that mean anything to me anymore. None at all, no storyline, it might as well be curling, Curling the Olympic thing.
Welp. I guess it's not worth watching the super bowl anymore.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 09:52 PM
Remember when that returner attended Columbus area High school football. Remember when that player used to make plays for the Browns at safety.
Not sure the game even started, every time I tuned in it was a commercial so tuned in a different show. looked again, another commercial.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 10:04 PM
I wish the announcer would not have said " so much more options." you can't use the word much with a word that ends in an s
in that case you need to use the word many. so many more options
the word much can go with a vague concept like patience, but not a plural word like patients.
For people who spent their lives speaking American English, you'd think I could end a sentence with an object.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 10:20 PM
seattle wide receiver got away with a hold to allow that touchdown. It results in a 3 point differential.
Niners lead.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 11:08 PM
Seattle ahead at half. Purdy doesn’t look as sharp. Seattle is such a “hanging around” team
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/14/23 11:45 PM
Wow what a throw and catch from Lawrence to Jones to finish
The Chargers off. Jvilles offense is light years ahead
Of the Browns yet Browns fans want too see a offense .where
Chubb gets the ball 54 times a game
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Wow what a throw and catch from Lawrence to Jones to finish
The Chargers off. Jvilles offense is light years ahead
Of the Browns yet Browns fans want too see a offense .where
Chubb gets the ball 54 times a game

Did you teleport here from the future because that game hasnt started yet.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 01:01 AM
rofl
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 01:03 AM
Are you a motivational speaker?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 01:11 AM
Will the Browns score 4I points in any game next season???

Fortyniners today scored 4I.

Look, playoff teams are putting up points greater than 23, so it is a legitimate @uestion
can and will the Browns put up 4I plus points, in a game, in the upcoming year?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 01:18 AM
Already a turnover 2 plays into the late game.

Turnovers are so paramount in playoff games.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 01:57 AM
I think I need to revisit my Chargers/Jags pick... wow... 3 INTs for the Jags so far...
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 01:59 AM
Jvilles offense is light years ahead

Lawerence has as many passes to the Chargers as his own team...
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:03 AM
j/c:

Tony Dungy is a horrible announcer.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:22 AM
Lawrence with his 4th INTin the 1st half. crazy
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:23 AM
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Lawrence with his 4th INTin the 1st half. crazy

Samuel has caught more passes from Lawrence than anyone on the jags team...
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:26 AM
We've had great comebacks in playoff games start with one team going up big, but real early.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:31 AM
aww LA will have to settle for a fg. that could come back to haunt them.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:37 AM
This could be very interesting to see how both teams play the remainder of the game, half and game.
For Jax, all they need is one score, that first TD.

for the chargers it will be how to avoid the expectation to let off the gas because they have a large lead of twentyseven to zero.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:55 AM
This is crazy; why can't the Browns ever catch a break like this? This is an article about the starting QB for the Niners today, Brock Purdy. The kid is on fire and looking like a top-10 starter. Selected last in the draft.

Brock Purdy Was Mr. Irrelevant. Now He’s Mr. Impossible.

Joe Montana. Steve Young. Yelberton Abraham Tittle. Some of the best quarterbacks to ever set foot on an NFL field played for the San Francisco 49ers, but none did what Brock Purdy has done this season.

You want wins? Purdy is one of only three rookie quarterbacks since the merger to start five or more games and go undefeated as a starter. The two others played for the Steelers: Mike Kruczek in 1976 (6-0) and Ben Roethlisberger in 2004 (13-0). Both rookie quarterbacks’ teams went on to play in the conference championship.

Are touchdowns more your thing? Only Deshaun Watson had a better TD rate in his rookie season (9.3 percent vs. 7.6 percent for Purdy), and Hall of Famer Dan Marino checks in at a distant third (6.8 percent).

Perhaps you prefer a measure of overall efficiency? Purdy’s passer rating of 107.3 is the best ever for a rookie with 50 or more pass attempts. Or maybe you don’t like raw passer rating (I can’t really fault you). Purdy is also tops all time in rookie Passer Rating Index,1 which adjusts for player era, beating out Marino by 3 points (128 vs. 125). He’s also first in adjusted yards per attempt index, besting Roethlisberger by 1 point (127 to 126).

And Purdy did all of this after being picked dead last in the 2022 draft? Somebody make it make sense.

---stats graphic on site---

Starting the year as the backup quarterback to Jimmy Garoppolo, who was himself the backup to Trey Lance, Purdy’s eventual opportunity was part of a trend that shaped the league in 2022. Sixty-eight quarterbacks started at least one game in 2022 — the second-most starters used in a season in NFL history, according to ESPN’s Stats & Information Group.

Due in part to all the injuries, teams attempted passes at the lowest per-game rate in 13 years, and that lack of passing led to teams posting the fewest passing yards per team game (218.5) over that period. But it wasn’t just passing volume; quarterback efficiency also suffered. Leaguewide adjusted net yards per pass attempt dipped below 6.0 for the first time since 2017, another season notorious for the number of injuries to top QBs.

Yet despite being a third-string, seventh-round talent — just the sort of player you’d expect to contribute to the leaguewide QB slump — Purdy transcended the league’s environment and strung together five games of production that is unprecedented in league history. It’s difficult to overstate just how surprising this is.

As a point of comparison, consider the case of Watson, a quarterback who missed most of the past two years due to a suspension stemming from accusations of sexual misconduct by more than two dozen women. It shouldn’t be surprising for even a formerly elite player to have trouble playing at a high level physically and mentally after a layoff of that length. That makes Watson’s return late in the season a reasonable comp for the hurdles Purdy had to overcome when his number was called.

And while it’s not a perfect comparison — the 49ers defense is superior to that of the Browns, and Kyle Shanahan is a better coach than Kevin Stefanski — it’s pretty clear that coming into the year, most would have bet on the former All-Pro first-rounder putting up better stats than whomever Mr. Irrelevant wound up being.

Instead, over the last five games of the regular season, Purdy bested Watson in every meaningful statistical category.

---stats graphic on site---

Remarkably, Purdy’s YPA, passing touchdowns, TD-to-INT ratio and off-target throw percentage either tied for or led the league over that period. Meanwhile Watson’s 19 sacks — and never forget that sacks are a QB stat — was the highest total in the league over the final five weeks.

All of which is to say that being a quarterback in the NFL is hard, even if Purdy somehow made it look sort of easy. And maybe that’s because, well, it kind of was. There’s evidence on tape that Shanahan did everything he could to make the game as simple as possible for his rookie starter. Purdy’s best plays by EPA came on calls like rollouts, which gave Purdy defined, half-field reads, or on passes to running back Christian McCaffery and tight end George Kittle that featured more yardage after the catch than through the air. There were even wild orbit motion, double-fake passes with a “Y-leak” thrown in that went for scores.

---video on site---

Still, Shanahan’s genius for scheme only explains so much. Eventually Purdy had to stand in the pocket, process the defense past his first read, and deliver the ball downfield on time and on target.

---video on site---

Those are the throws we expect NFL starters to make — throws that teams draft QBs in the first round to execute. The fact that Purdy made them with regularity when the league took 261 players before him is revealing. Not even the 49ers — the team that ultimately took a chance on Purdy (with its ninth selection of the draft) — can escape embarrassment completely. After all, if any QB can run Shanahan’s system, why spend three firsts and a third-round pick to trade up for Lance just a few years ago?

The truth is, no one really knows anything about projecting quarterbacks to the NFL. If they did, Brock Purdy would be impossible. Instead, the Niners are 9.5-point favorites over the Seahawks this weekend with a starting QB who was drafted after four punters and a placekicker. And instead of impossible, Purdy and the Niners somehow appear inevitable.

Check out our latest NFL predictions.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/brock-purdy-was-mr-irrelevant-now-hes-mr-impossible/

Ranking top five Mr. Irrelevant players in NFL history as 49ers' Brock Purdy makes playoff debut vs. Seahawks

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...k-purdy-makes-playoff-debut-vs-seahawks/

49ers' Brock Purdy to remain starting QB rest of playoffs even if Jimmy Garoppolo cleared to play, per report

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...my-garoppolo-cleared-to-play-per-report/

Our QB, 230 Mil Guaranteed, theirs on a Mr. Irrelevent, selected dead last in the draft, rookie deal! I get so sick of being a Browns fan when I see things like this. Nothing like that happens here. NOPE. That's why part of me thinks it's likely that DW never does squat on the Browns just because of our failure history. They got a kid that should never have seen the field this year playing like Tom Brady.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:22 AM
The Cardinals at Cincy in nineteen ninety seven, was 2I to 0 until the final minute of the 3rd @uarter, and a comeback to tie at 2I and win in overtime.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:26 AM
How can they get delay of game in a playoff game, in this situation.
the jaguars cut the lead in half, a I3 point lead remains.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:41 AM
OH no, are the Chargers going to fire there DC like the Browns did Woods.

Going for 2 with over ten minutes to play in the game when you just got momentum?
BIG mistake by Doug Pederson.
bad coach stupidity. Just lifted the Chargers spirits, dumb.
a I6 point lead
now ten could have been nine. Way DUMB.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:41 AM
Could the jags come all the way back?
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:47 AM

Not if the refs have something to say. They have been terrible.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:50 AM
If any other team got more help from the refs with false calls than Justin Herberts overrated team the last 4 years, it'd have to be the steelers or nobody. Absolutely disgusting.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:51 AM
Originally Posted by Pdawg

I agree... don't typically get on the refs, but every call has gone the Chargers way....
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:54 AM
Originally Posted by Pdawg

Nobody gets propped up more than Justin =loser =everything for free Herbert.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:58 AM
They don't deserve to b/c they went for two on their last TD.
a. it's dumb
b. it's analytics and bad analytics and
c. analytics loses on gamedays, so they don't deserve to.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:14 AM
The Chargers are Brownsing this one up.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:15 AM
Come on jags!!!!!!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:16 AM
Going for 2 again and making it, Really a BAD call. Again.
he doesn't realize, that even making it, he lifted the chargers spirits again, and gave momentum back to LA.
B/c only desperate teams need to go for 2, in
BOTH of those situations. Hope they win, but they doubly don't deserve to.
Posted By: EveDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:17 AM
Chargers are better than this.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:18 AM
Bosa is right about the tackle moving early. We see that almost every week with Myles. He has to keep his composure.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by jfanent
The Chargers are Brownsing this one up.
The Jags were earlier?
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:21 AM
Love seeing the Jags D step up. That's what good DTs and blitzing can do for you. Browns, take note.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:25 AM
the Jaguars rushed the snap at 2:0I, didn't need to.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:29 AM
WOW!!!!!!
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:29 AM
Chargers fail.
Posted By: jfanent Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:30 AM
Staley's last call as a Charger's HC is a timeout to ice the kicker after blowing a 27 point lead.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Chargers fail.

Seriously!?!?!?! UP 27-0... AND LOSE!@
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:31 AM
Trevor Lawrence is panning out for Jax.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:31 AM
one point win with a negative 4 or ? turnover ratio. jaguars won.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:34 AM
j/c...

What a hilarious choke job. Brandon Staley will be fired. Blowing a 27-0 lead!

Hat tip to the Jags for not quitting and what a wild game to be at for the fans.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:35 AM
Wow! Just an amazing 2nd half for the Jags.

They make me 2-0 on my picks so far.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:35 AM
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Chargers fail.

Seriously!?!?!?! UP 27-0... AND LOSE!@
HA, I bet that failure on the pass attempt in the end zone from the red zone, up 24 to 0 in the first half, and settleing for a FG might have come back to haunt them. told em.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:36 AM
Credit to Doug Pederson to not hitting the
Panic button at half time and sticking to the gameplan.
The Chargers prove it takes more than elite
Talent to get advance In the playoffs
Talent is a over used word at times.
The Browns have Talent. But where as it got them
In the last 2 years ?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:57 AM
Oh no, don't bunjee jump mascot.

lady died bunjee jumping at super bowl in nineteen ninety seven.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1997/01/26/Human-error-cited-in-bungee-death/8887854254800/

OH my gosh... bottom right , current,
Robbie Kinevel died. ... frown
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 10:55 AM
Chargers with a typical Chargers loss (we know that feeling)

Jags move on.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 01:54 PM
At this point, I am approaching this like the "Other Games" regular season threads.

Seattle at SF: Seahawks fought hard in first half. I was surprised they were able to run on SF. Metcalf was ballin. Dumb penalty by Ward at the end of the half and Seattle took the lead. Pete Carroll has done more w/less than probably anyone in the league. SF got hot in the 2nd half. They have so many weapons on offense. It' amazing. Getting Mccaffrey during the season was huge for them. Purdy looked purdy bad in first half, but played well in the second. After the game, Shanny said he gets nervous w/some of his decisions while praising him. SF should win the NFC, but the qb thing could become an issue.

Chargers at Jags: Both coaches had terrible offensive game plans. Why Peterson was passing so much in the first half is a mystery to me. The Chargers run defense stinks. Your asking your qb who is making his first playoff start to win in a pass happy offense? The Chargers did not run Ekeler enough. In the second half, Lawrence got hot and the comeback was remarkable. Of course, Staley was Staley-esque. Totally mismanaged the clock again. Issues a challenge on a play that he clearly had no way of winning, but the timing of it was even worse. It ended up costing his team oa much-needed TO. Furthermore, Lawrence had cut his thumb on the previous play. The Jags medical staff was able to bandage and protect the thumb during the Review delay. I will also add that after the game, Staley was talking about players dropping the ball, not putting the ball where it needed to be, players not being disciplined, running to the wrong holes, etc. He did not mention his and/or his coaching staffs' performance one single time. He's the worst coach in the league. Don't be shocked to see Sean Payton leading the Chargers next year. That team probably has more talent than any team in the league. On the other side, it's a real feel good story for the Jags. Peterson did an excellent job this year, Lawrence developed, and they play the game hard---especially on defense. Very team oriented.
Posted By: mac Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:03 PM
jc...

The games yesterday were outstanding, showing what playoff football is all about. Everything seems to be taken to higher level..the intensity, the player's performances, the hitting.

Then I allow myself to imagine if the Browns were in the playoffs...could the Browns players and coaches take their game to higher level..?...or would the Browns simply fold if they got down by a score or two..?

I look forward to the games today and hope that all the Browns players and coaches are watching..allowing themselves to imagine being in a playoff situation a year from now..?

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:10 PM
A lot of the coaches and players probably don't have to "imagine."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...r-tying-postseason-mark-set-1969-raiders

However, this thread is about the games going on this weekend. You have plenty of other threads to voice your displeasure w/the Browns. How about you stick to the topic of the thread?
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
aww LA will have to settle for a fg. that could come back to haunt them.

Oh, the irony.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:14 PM
Posted By: mac Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:22 PM
vers...you misinterpret my post in your effort to control what others might have to say about the games.

My post was about the playoff games and belongs right here..!
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:32 PM
mac, I started the thread. It is about games being played this weekend and not the Browns. Please stop. There are plenty of threads for you to express your disdain for the Browns.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:34 PM
One thing I forgot to mention in the SF game was when Tyler Kroft, the former Bengal TE, was supposed to block a guy on a running play. Kroft was running horizontally across the formation and had a chance to block a defender. He ducked his head and totally whiffed on the block. The RB got throttled for a loss and the announcers were confused as to what happened. Did anyone see that? I was thinking that no way Shanny puts that guy back in the game.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Goodness. Wonder if his wife is going to file for a divorce?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:46 PM
The Chargers vs Jags game was the tale of two halves. Lawrence went into this game with a 3 to 1 TD to Int. ratio and looked lost and confused right up until the final drive of the first half. From watching him throughout this season he didn't appear to be a totally polished QB but certainly a competent one. Not in that first half. And while the Chargers had some short fields, that Jaguars D didn't look like themselves during that first half either. I have no idea what Pederson said to them at half time but he certainly motivated that offense at half time and prevented a team who could have certainly given up to turn things around on a dime. The D obviously dialed up the pressure and it clearly threw Herbert out of his comfort zone. The Jaguars D looked as advertised in that second half. What a great game that turned out to be!

And San Fran San Franned. An extremely well coached team lived up to their billing and just did what they do. That's no small feat with a rookie/ Mr. Irrelevant QB under center. I agree with what Vers posted that Shanahan should be considered for coach of the year. I just haven't seen the NFL give a lot of consideration for that when a team did so well the prior year and with having such a complete overall team. But the QB situation he has overcome is amazing. Purdy didn't look so great in the first half but had a strong second half performance. He did look Perdy in the second half.
Posted By: mac Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 02:48 PM
Kroft was running horizontally across the formation and had a chance to block a defender. He ducked his head and totally whiffed on the block.

Saw that whiff and it goes back to FOOTBALL BASICS...if you going to block someone, you have see him. I told my wife it looked like the blocker closed his eyes just before the impact... if you can't see it, you can't block it.

Same goes for tackling..got to see the runner all the way to the impact...let your eyes guide your body...easy to say, but much harder to do. But once you learn to focus your attention on specific small targets, rather than looking at the whole individual, your tackling and blocking will improve.

Like I said...High School football basics...
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:06 PM
I think Herbert is an elite qb who has been hurt by some coaching decisions in LA and also the team's constant battles w/injuries. What is crazy is how many tipped passes he has despite being 6'6". During the game, it was very evident that a lot of his passes are thrown w/a 3/4 motion. That is a significant drop and it negates his superior height. I think it's a gift that so many of these young qbs can throw accurately from different arm angles, but if I was their qb coach, getting Herbert to throw over the top would be a priority. At this point, it looks like a muscle memory thing.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:07 PM
I think the giants/Vikes game should be good. The other two today? Maybe not
Posted By: jfanent Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:16 PM
Somebody posted on another board that Purdy reminds them of a young Stetson Bennett. rofl
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
mac, I started the thread. It is about games being played this weekend and not the Browns. Please stop. There are plenty of threads for you to express your disdain for the Browns.

Well I guess I have to give you 10 out of 10 for consistency.

The Jags game was so much fun to watch - and honestly as soon as they got the one TD, I felt it was going to become a tight game. There's so many facets and angles to a game that it's always unfair to pick out one play and over emphasize it .... but damn if *JOEY Bosa isn't a clown who probably handed the Jags the opportunity to win the game in normal time. And I agree with the commentator said that the movement we seemed to see in ultra slow motion was essentially 'instantaneous with the snap in real time' ... I think Garrett sees people moving like that constantly and I have seen much worse not called across the line from MG.

*Edit - corrected from Nick to Joey.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:24 PM
I agree with you about the tipped passes and not throwing at the balls peak trajectory. That's a coaching issue. As you indicated, it's great to have the ability to thrown from different angles, sidearm, when there's a need to throw around a defender, but that shouldn't be your go to in other situations. Actually Lawrence is also 6'6" and he had a lot of balls tipped as well. I found that strange on the part of both QB's at their height and arm lengths. For me it seemed obvious that the pressure the Jags started putting on Herbert in the second half made all of the difference in the world in Herbert. Not that it's unusual or that it doesn't happen to some great QB's because it does. That word elite gets thrown around a lot. I wouldn't put him in that QB category as of yet but he's certainly on his way there. I mean it does further the case of how poor the Chargers HC is when you call the QB elite but the way he performed in that second half says at least to me he isn't all the way there yet.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:24 PM
Nick Bosa plays for SF. It was his older brother, Joey, who plays for the Chargers.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the officiating was really bad throughout the game. The first penalty on Bosa was bad. Bosa was upset, but was walking around. The ref actually stormed after him and threw the flag as Bosa was talking while not even looking at him. I think the ref will face punishment for that. That's unprofessional. It wasn't just one or two calls, though. It was a poorly officiated game throughout.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:25 PM
Somebody posted on another board that Purdy reminds them of a young Stetson Bennett. rofl

Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:27 PM
Bosa had already been making comments that drew the refs attention. The officiating was bad but Bosa lost his cool. That's not on the refs.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:29 PM
He did lose his cool and I am not defending him. I am referring to a ref chasing a player down after the player is walking away. That's not acceptable in any sport.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:38 PM
And I'm saying he made initial comments that caused the ref to go after him. You can't just spout off and say anything and not expect the refs are going to come to you and tell you to knock that BS off. Obviously when the ref warned him about that he didn't take it so well and further complicated matters leading to the penalty. I think it's obvious we aren't going to agree on this and I'm not looking to fight about it. So I'll just leave it as we saw the same thing and came to two different conclusions of the event.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:43 PM
He clearly said something that was pretty bad. You really don’t see refs get that offended over comments
Posted By: mac Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:49 PM
I noticed during the 49ers game, especially toward the end of the game, the cameras focused on SF GM John Lynch who had a bid grin on his face. Lynch was a first time GM, hired by SF in 2017.

How good is the 49er organization recognizing talent and trusting their judgement, hiring Lynch, Shanahan and DeMeco Ryans in 2017. Ryans worked his way up to DC in 2021 and might be a hot candidate for a HC job after the season.

The 49ers are either exceptionally lucky or exceptionally good at judging talent...their starting QB, Brock Purdy was the last player drafted in the 2022 draft, earning the title of "Mr Irrelevant'' ... that kid took over when Garoppolo was injured in the 13th game and the 49ers have not lost a game since.

Based on what I saw in the second half of yesterday's game, the 49ers have a good shot at winning it all, IMO. thumbsup
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:53 PM
Not saying the kid will be him ..... but Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. Dak Prescott was a 4th rounder. We think about the 1st rounders .... because there is a higher chance of success there. (probably in no small part because they get greater opportunities to succeed) However, sometimes the right player gets the right opportunity, and it just works.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:53 PM
I will try not to talk about the officiating again, but I am not the only one who thought the officiating during the entire game was horrid. I typed in officiating in chargers vs jaguars game. Here are the search results.

https://www.google.com/search?q=off...191j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 03:57 PM
I will put one caveat on your comments. If the 49'ers had known Purdy were that good they wouldn't have waited until the last pick in the draft to select him. As far as the rest of your comments I would say you're spot on.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 04:33 PM
There’s no doubt Purdy has some great qualities thus far. I also think Shanny has the most QB friendly system ever (and we saw that here with Hoyer)
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I will put one caveat on your comments. If the 49'ers had known Purdy were that good they wouldn't have waited until the last pick in the draft to select him. As far as the rest of your comments I would say you're spot on.

Yep - sort of like how the Patriots organization since Brady became Brady try to insinuate they knew what they were getting when they picked him in the 6th round. Which is complete claptrap.

As for the officiating in the Jags game - it was absolute garbage, most of it going against the Jags. That has nothing to do with whether or not the Ref or Bosa was primarily at fault with the altercation and first flag for unsportsmanlike. Who knows? Opinions are fine but we don't actually know the circumstances. On the other hand we do know that the Jags went for a 2 pointer after Bosa was stoopid and threw his helmet while on the field of play while throwing his toys out of his pram.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 05:20 PM
And that's why I clarified pretty much exactly what you said with Vers. We both saw the same event and came away with two differing opinions of what we saw. I don't see any other reason a ref would chase him down to talk to him other than to warn him about something that was said or done before heading to the sideline. I mean there could be but that's the only thing that makes sense to me. The officiating was horrible and I can certainly understand a player being upset. You just can't do that on the field.

I'm a huge OSU fan and enjoyed watching the Bosa brothers play in every game they were in at OSU. It's certainly out of character for Joey to act that way. But in a game as intense as the NFL it can happen.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 05:57 PM
j/c:

The Seahawks/49ers game was good until Geno Smith fumbled in - what was it, the third quarter? And then they fell apart and so did the game. Got lopsided.

The Chargers/Jags game turned out to be a really good game! I watched some of it, went to bed and watched the rest this morning. I thought the Jags missed that FG at the end, I had to see it a few times. It was an exciting game, all the way down to the end.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 06:51 PM

Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 06:58 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 07:22 PM
It is a tradition, it is a long standing tradition that only one @uarterback will play for a team on a day, if they stay healthy,
a 2nd @uarterback, 3rd @uarterbac, and 4th or more @uarterback will Not make a contribution and take the reigns during the SAME GAME because after all it is a tradition.

a tradition agreed on by all the NFL teams, all the college football teams

that they only play one @uarterback. per game, and b/c of that,

we have, seventh round draft picks playing playoff games

and teams don't carry 4 useable @uarterbacks on their rosters because of Tradition.

And all Traditions never change.?
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

The games yesterday were outstanding, showing what playoff football is all about. Everything seems to be taken to higher level..the intensity, the player's performances, the hitting.

Then I allow myself to imagine if the Browns were in the playoffs...could the Browns players and coaches take their game to higher level..?...or would the Browns simply fold if they got down by a score or two..?

I look forward to the games today and hope that all the Browns players and coaches are watching..allowing themselves to imagine being in a playoff situation a year from now..?

The Browns took their game to a better level when they beat the steelers in the 2020 wild card game. But they had Rashard Higgins, OBJ, a healthy Sione Taki Taki, and even Mack, and Malcolm the Lb's on that team, not to forget J. Landry, so maybe the current group ain't as filled with talented, experienced players, all around, all around the field as before. And the safety who .. Sendejo.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 07:53 PM
Another crazy game ... willynilly
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
Another crazy game ... willynilly

WILD card Weekend!
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 08:22 PM
Whoa, what was that, Miami just got a play, like when Big Ben fumbled for a Touchdown in 2020, and now Miami has the lead, and after the buffalo team just got a 3 and out.
Point being
No matter HOW GOOD Buffalos defense played, the Bills just gave up a TD when their D were on the sidelines.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 08:35 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 08:55 PM
Bills picking up steam again. Miami gave a valiant effort. The WRs really let them down
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 09:12 PM
I thought the game was over, couldn't read what @uarter it was
I thought the game was over Buffalo won. how are there eleven minutes, there were less than 2 minutes to go.
Whatever.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 09:20 PM
Bills picking up steam again. Miami gave a valiant effort. The WRs really let them down

Miami is hangin' on.

And I can't agree with you more, Miami's receivers dropped way too many very catchable passes.

About 10 plus minutes to go as I post this.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 09:21 PM
This has been a much better game that I was worried we'd get.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by FrankZ
This has been a much better game that I was worried we'd get.

Yea, definitely a good watch!
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 09:33 PM
I wonder if AB is watching the playoffs and realizing
You need offensive firepower to get to the playoffs
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 09:34 PM
Miami down by 3 getting the ball back after forcing the punt with 4:24 left.

This is great.
Posted By: 3rd_and_20 Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 09:38 PM
That was a good catch.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 10:05 PM
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 10:19 PM
2-1 So far and I Picked the NYG in my upset special:
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/15/23 10:25 PM
2-1 So far and I Picked the NYG in my upset special: superconfused:

I almost picked the Giants... I think they have a great chance at upsetting the Vikings...
Posted By: jfanent Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 12:42 AM
I think I just saw the lamest roughing the passer call of all time.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 12:50 AM
Down go the Vikings... first one score game they've lost this year...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 12:51 AM
4-0!

I am worried about the Ravens pulling the upset though.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 12:53 AM
Well, I hit my upset special with the NYG ... Now I picked the Bungals I wish they both could lose.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 12:56 AM
Now I picked the Bungals I wish they both could lose.

agreed... hopefully Bills can knock the Bungals out next week...
Posted By: jfanent Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 01:23 AM
I'm hoping the rats take care of the bungles. I'm so sick of hearing "who dey" from the bungle fans crawling out of the woodwork. They just ripped off the Saint's "Who dat" years ago. I really hate our division rivals.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 01:50 AM
I'm hoping the rats take care of the bungles. I'm so sick of hearing "who dey" from the bungle fans crawling out of the woodwork. They just ripped off the Saint's "Who dat" years ago. I really hate our division rivals.
Bengals for better or worse own the AFC NORTH now.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 02:06 AM
I really like dobbins... sad he went to the rats...
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 02:07 AM
A Ravens-Bengals game would be completely different with a healthy Lamar.

But Baltimore sold out for a running QB, which has a limited shelf life.

So yes, the Bengals are at the top of the heap…
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 02:32 AM
I’m actually hoping for Baltimore tonight. Want Cinci out.
Posted By: Day of the Dawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 02:32 AM
Go Rats!!! I will root for them because they have no chance going deep in playoffs. Can't stomach watching AFC North teams do well in playoffs. Well, they're at least up 1 now 10-9.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I’m actually hoping for Baltimore tonight. Want Cinci out.

I do as well but just can't cheer for Balti...
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:06 AM
What's everyone's guess about Lamar not traveling with the team? Think he's done in Baltimore?

I'd imagine Baltimore will tag him next year... can't imagine they want to give him a deal, but also don't think they can afford to let him walk right now
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:33 AM
I cannot stand the Rats. I would rather see the Bengals in that the stolen team.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:34 AM
WOW!
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:35 AM
WOW!
X2
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:37 AM
What's everyone's guess about Lamar not traveling with the team? Think he's done in Baltimore?

I'd imagine Baltimore will tag him next year... can't imagine they want to give him a deal, but also don't think they can afford to let him walk right now

I've wondered if Lamar is trying to remind them how important he is to them. BUt that is just me wondering.
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 04:10 AM
Huntley making Lamar a lot of money
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 04:18 AM
I am now 5-0 on the weekend. That's probably the best I've ever done.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 04:22 AM
Huntley is not a bad QB. I'd like to see him with a real OC
And weapons at WR.
Posted By: Psydeffect Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 04:33 AM
Poor clock management by Harbaugh at the end.

Oh well. Let's go Buffalo!
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 05:02 AM
Huntley is not a bad QB. I'd like to see him with a real OC
And weapons at WR.

Thought he played a good game considering... his fumble though was a killer...
Posted By: bonefish Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 12:01 PM
The Dolphins had issues with getting plays off and it was a huge problem.

However, they were playing a third string quarterback.

I was amazed they made it a close game. Waddle dropped like 5 balls. I am guessing but it seemed that way. I know they had a ton of dropped passes.

I like their head coach. The guy knows how to scheme an offense. If they had a good qb who played every game. They would be hard to beat.

I give them props for hanging in there against the Bills.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 12:03 PM
It's not like I like the Bucs. I just hate the Cowboys.

I would love to see them be done in one.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 01:25 PM
Miami @ Buffalo: The Bills came out storming. I think they were relying on huge plays a bit too much. The Dolphins were getting way too much pressure on Allen. That is something to watch for moving on. Is the Bills OL a problem. Allen had a couple of cheap picks. John Brown gave up on the route and then a ball bounced off Beasley. Miami's Waddle did have a drop or two, but most of them were just great plays by the d-backs. The Dolphins struggled w/the play clock all game long. Huge issue. In the end, it was a hard-fought game where the Dolphins gained respect while the Bills survived. It's hard playing a team 3 times in one season.

Giants @ Vikings: Daniel Jones studded out. His legs were a huge factor in this game. The Vikings took advantage of the bracket coverage on Jefferson by using guys like Hockenson and KJ Osborn. The Giants no-name WRs came up big. I thought they would run Barkley more. Dexter Lawrence is a true beast in the middle of NY's line. That rouhing the passer penalty that jfan brought up was beyond lame and almost cost the Giants the win. Daboll deserves a lot of credit for the job he's done.

Ravens @ Bengals: I find it odd that Lamar did not even travel w/the team. That team has troubles and Harbaugh's tense interview highlighted that fact. The Ravens played hard and made it close. The Bengals have a lot of talent, but their OL is beat up and that forecasts trouble for them moving on in the playoffs.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 01:48 PM
Saquon Barkley for the first time looks like the player he was coming out of college.

Explosive, fast and powerful.

The Giants looked like a dumpster fire when they drafted Jones. Saquon was forever hurt and looked like a wasted pick.

All of a sudden Those two guys along with Daboll have put the Giants on the map.
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 02:48 PM
Bengals OL is going to be their downfall... they have been killed by injuries... I don't think they get past buffalo...
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:14 PM
I agree jay. The Bengals have a racked OL right now. Can’t beat buffalo and/or KC that way
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:29 PM
Glad Bengal won. I don't like Pittsburgh or Baltimore at all but Cincy doesn't bother me.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:33 PM
j/c:

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 03:54 PM
Posted By: FATE Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 04:03 PM
j/c...

I actually wanted the Ravens to win because I know they have no shot to win it all. There are some Bengals fans in my family and they are arrogant idiots when the Bengals are winning. I hope Buffalo pummels them. I'm childish in my hatred towards other AFC North teams, and I don't even care to change.

The Ravens always have a way of hanging around, even when they are over-matched. Imagine having a defense that could keep you in every game, even when you generally struggle to score 17 points?

Lamar is as good as gone. If he plays there next year, it will be on a tag, and that won't be pretty. Seems like the Ravens are starting a spoiled brat collection, QB and RB... I like it.

How 'bout that Doug Pederson guy? Hard not to root for the Jags after that comeback.
Posted By: hitt Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 04:21 PM
Living near Tampa, Bucs have GOAT and Cowboys come in with HUGE pressure- again, they are suppose to win....and TB gets their center back....could easily be a Bucs win. Rbirds QB didn't run play as coached and cost them game.....small details matter. At worst, Cinci has to play from one foot line in tied game.....dumb play AND coach called him on it.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/16/23 04:53 PM
I hope Tampa wins.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 01:43 AM
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 01:52 AM
4 out of 5 going into tonight. I thought the ravens would take out the Bengals because I thought Lamar was playing and not the backup. Oops.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 02:48 AM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 03:09 AM
Posted By: jaybird Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 03:32 AM
Thought Dallas could win... didn't expect them to beat the hell out of Tampa...
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 03:43 AM
Looks like I'll be 5-1 for the weekend. Stil not too bad.
Posted By: Clemdawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 05:33 AM
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

Job security is not a feature of this young man's immediate professional profile-
My best guess: Real Estate agent.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 06:49 AM
4-2 for me. Ravens and Bucs let me down.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 12:41 PM
Tampa looked awful. Time for that franchise to totally blow it up
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 12:43 PM
I’m going to say:

Buffalo over Miami
Minnesota over NY Giants
Dallas over Tampa Bay

Smart man smile
we’ll see Tuesday morning 😂
Stupid Vikings
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 01:01 PM
Hate to see Dallas advance. I'm so sick of how much attention is focused on them while other teams are ignored. The attention focused on Dallas is going to be beyond obnoxious this week.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 01:10 PM
This was another scary moment. I hope he is okay.

Posted By: FATE Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by bigdatut
49'ers healthily
Jaguars late and close
Bills big
Giants late and close
Bengals big
Cowboys close

This guy was 6-0

Nice job!
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 02:14 PM
There are some Bengals fans in my family and they are arrogant idiots when the Bengals are winning.

They are fickle as well. They only show up when the team is doing well.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 06:27 PM
Buccaneers Share Update on Russell Gage After Frightening Injury vs. Cowboys

Buccaneers receiver Russell Gage has movement in all of his extremities after suffering a concussion and neck injury late in Monday night’s game against the Cowboys, the team said in a statement on Tuesday.

“After suffering a neck injury and concussion during the fourth quarter of last night’s game, Russell was taken to a local hospital where he remained overnight for additional testing and observation,” the club said. “Russell has had movement in all extremities and will continue to undergo additional testing today. We will provide additional information as it becomes available.”

The Buccaneers’ update comes after Gage took a hard hit over the middle in the fourth quarter while trying to make a catch inside the red zone. The 26-year-old attempted multiple times to get to his feet but was unsuccessful in doing so, prompting medical personnel to use a backboard to remove him from the playing surface and load him onto the injury cart. He was then taken to the hospital. 

Drafted in the sixth round of the 2018 draft by the Falcons, Gage spent four years in Atlanta. He signed with the Buccaneers in ’22 and played in 13 games this season, hauling in 51 catches for 426 yards and five touchdowns. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/17/b...iFLi8MruVRbfugCTtNjp3gReq9_qlkkbbAYom4VY
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 06:29 PM
Great job!
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 06:43 PM
Nice job big!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 06:54 PM
5-1 Not a bad start thumbsup
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 07:54 PM
Haha.....so true.

Posted By: FATE Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 08:18 PM
Haha. Love it. Yet that's the first thing every MMQB wants to blurt out when analyzing nearly every game ever played.
Posted By: FrankZ Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Buccaneers Share Update on Russell Gage After Frightening Injury vs. Cowboys

Buccaneers receiver Russell Gage has movement in all of his extremities after suffering a concussion and neck injury late in Monday night’s game against the Cowboys, the team said in a statement on Tuesday.

“After suffering a neck injury and concussion during the fourth quarter of last night’s game, Russell was taken to a local hospital where he remained overnight for additional testing and observation,” the club said. “Russell has had movement in all extremities and will continue to undergo additional testing today. We will provide additional information as it becomes available.”

The Buccaneers’ update comes after Gage took a hard hit over the middle in the fourth quarter while trying to make a catch inside the red zone. The 26-year-old attempted multiple times to get to his feet but was unsuccessful in doing so, prompting medical personnel to use a backboard to remove him from the playing surface and load him onto the injury cart. He was then taken to the hospital. 

Drafted in the sixth round of the 2018 draft by the Falcons, Gage spent four years in Atlanta. He signed with the Buccaneers in ’22 and played in 13 games this season, hauling in 51 catches for 426 yards and five touchdowns. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/01/17/b...iFLi8MruVRbfugCTtNjp3gReq9_qlkkbbAYom4VY

I can't believe all they are doing is covering their butts. Don't they care about him? No well wishes. No prayers. Not thinking abouts. Just a release to say he is doing better. Pathetic.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/17/23 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Haha.....so true.

LOL.......we should make a thread about clichés like that.

Who can forget Metcalf up the Middle?

How about " he's too conservative and the other team knows his plays," followed by "he gets too cute?"

"My 10 year old daughter can predict the play."

"Camp Cupcake," followed by "why do we have so many injuries every year in camp?"

Sometimes it is "don't settle for Field Goals" and other times it's "take the points!"

"Run the damn ball" or "our offense lacks imagination."

"He's too easy on players" and "we expect players to be angels. Let him play."

There are a million of them made by dumb ass folks who try to pretend they are smarter than the coach.

With all that said, football coaches do make adjustments, but it's so overrated by fans and the media. What's wild is most times the team that comes out of the gate having success on offense and on defense are the better coached teams. And after awhile, the game becomes way more about the Jimmy's and Joe's than the Xs and Os.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Wild Card Weekend - 01/18/23 01:01 AM
Good news:

© DawgTalkers.net