Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:10 AM
Posted By: boofers20 Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:10 AM
Poor mans' Danny Shelton???
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:11 AM
Wow everone seems to hate this pick.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:11 AM
Posted By: GraffZ06 Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:14 AM
This is the #whoops draft.

Going to get the WR and DT they neglected last year.

Better late than never I guess.
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:15 AM
Originally Posted by superbowldogg

If the Bungals Squeelers or Rats would have drafted him these guys would think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! Later GO BROWNS
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:15 AM
I heard through the message board that he'd not fit because he = a 3 /4 player,

Siaki Ika, random interesting player,... 330+ pounds DT Middle run and line pusher.
BAM

Way to go Berry, almost like someone tied Berry up, and made the picks for him.

<sticky icky> nine five plus four pennies add that up ... @uote from a song.

Good Pick .
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:18 AM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:19 AM

I like the pick, and so will the Browns I think. They didn't have to use a first rounder to get him.

He is a heck of a lot better than ... well some past picks.
" Ben Solack " "remember, one o one, Big People win football games."
Posted By: dawg66 Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:20 AM
Yeah not a fan of taking this guy this high. Our base D is a 4-3 and he's a 3-4 NT who is going to be limited to running downs.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:20 AM
From Dane Brugler....

STRENGTHS: Thick, wide-hipped frame and comfortably carries his 335 pounds ... rare quickness, body control and lateral flow for his size ... shoots his hands at the
snap to get movement and reset the line of scrimmage ... uses his length and hand strength to stack, lock out and play peek-a-boo to track backfield action ... violent
hands to shuck single blocks and bully his way through the shoulder ... his go-to as a rusher is an arm-over power move ... anchors versus double teams ... voted a
team captain in 2022 ... gives consistent hustle and logged 36.8 defensive snaps per game over his two seasons in Waco.

WEAKNESSES: His backfield production plummeted in 2022 ... inconsistent snap anticipation ... bends well when he wants, but too willing to stand up and play upright
at the snap ... can be caved by angle blocks when he doesn’t sink and secure his outside leg ... can get himself buried when he overextends his upper half and
sacrifices his balance ... his missed tackle rate increased in 2022 ... barrels to the ball, but needs to use better control to finish tackles in confined spaces ... suspended
one game for an “off-field incident” (September 2021) ... needs to stay conditioned and keep his weight under control (was 12 pounds heavier at his pro day
compared to the scouting combine).

SUMMARY: A two-year starter at Baylor, Ika lined up at nose tackle in head coach Dave Aranda’s hybrid 3-3-5 base scheme, playing multiple techniques (1, 2i, 3) on
the interior. After winning a national championship at LSU as a freshman, he followed Aranda to Baylor and earned All-Big 12 honors each of the last two seasons. Ika
plays with the power, awareness and joint flexibility to press blockers off his frame and find the football versus the run. For a player his size, he is light-footed with
the short-area explosiveness and hand usage to defeat blocks. However, his best flashes can be found on the 2021 tape and he struggled to make backfield plays in
2022 (partly because of his role). Ika is a nimble, disruptive big man with stout, powerful traits, but all of his impressive parts don’t consistently add up to impact
plays. He is a toolsy size prospect with a high floor as an early down NFL nose while also flashing the ability to be more.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:28 AM
Schwartz wanted a run stuffer and got one.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:29 AM
Originally Posted by PastorMarc

If the Bungals Squeelers or Rats would have drafted him these guys would think he was the greatest thing since sliced bread!!! Later GO BROWNS

I mean... all of the reporters are tearing the pick apart. Literally QC wrote the f work after the pick lol
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:31 AM
It's a good solid pick and certainly a need. A run stuffing DT.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:35 AM
https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/news/siakiika
I like the pick ,
congrats on 2 real football players
Berry said something about a Horse and a goose, I think we got a turducken. thumbsup grin nanner
Posted By: FATE Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:39 AM
Posted By: leadtheway Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:42 AM
this was a very bad pick.. Problem is when you mortgage all your high picks you really have to hit on the ones you have left. Not sure this team is better than it was yesterday with these two picks
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:59 AM
we'll see
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 04:02 AM
Kudos for them drafting a DT, so that's a plus...and the options were limited, as I think we all thought there would be more DTs available. I watched his tape 2 months ago, and for a plugger...liked Coburn more (Coburn moves and hustles a ton better) But I know Ika was viewed nearly everywhere as a rather consistent 3rd round grade nearly everywhere. He'll definitely be seeing the field for us, hope they condition his body better (2.10 RAS) excited for what tomorrow brings us (hopefully Jammie Robinson and McGuire or Andre Carter at end) would love an OT, LB, and RB as well.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 04:34 AM
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Schwartz wanted a run stuffer and got one.

I guess we should probably give him the benefit of the doubt and it was pick 98 after all.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 05:36 AM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 07:01 AM
He is what this D needed on the interior. One player who requires 2 blockers = win.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 09:34 AM
We needed interior DL help in the biggest way. Whether or not Ika is a good player is TBD. But it’s pretty dire.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 10:06 AM
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 12:12 PM
Not sure Schwartz can turn this guy in to a Ferrari - but he's a space eating, run stuffing plug to put in the middle of the DL. At #98 I am not expecting fireworks, solid rotation play and depth is fine.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 12:25 PM
Hopefully he gives us what Andrew Billings was supposed to give us rather than what he actually gave us.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 12:33 PM
Schwartz seemed happy with the pick and there was even a DePo sighting.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 12:51 PM
They must have seen something in his tape that they think he has the potential to be more than a space eater.

intriguing.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 01:53 PM
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 02:35 PM
J/C. I really like the pick. I think we will use him differently than what he was used in college. I believe he will flourish in a 4-3 vs the 3-3-5 set up at Baylor. I thought they asked too much from him this season, he was way better in 21. Gotta think if Schwartz wants to run some stunts and twists this could be lethal business with Mr Garrett. I still think we draft another DT before the end of the day.
Posted By: DaveyD Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:28 PM
So, we drafted another Danny Shelton?
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 03:32 PM
I don't really have any feelings about the pick either way. I mean I think it would be crazy to think you're going to have some world beater player fall into your lap at #98. They needed a space eater and they got one. I don't actually know enough about the guy to say how he will fit and or how productive he will be. Hopefully he will pan out to be able to fill the roll Schwartz has in mind for him. If he can do that the Browns got themselves a bargain.
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 05:07 PM
jc...

IMO, Ika is.."A PROJECT".. who needs a ton of work to prepare himself to compete at an NFL level.

Get him in shape and hopefully he can avoid injuries during the off season workout period that would slow his progress. Carrying 358 lbs puts a lot of stress on the knee and ankle joints and if Ika could drop 20 lbs or so, it might help to protect his leg joints.

Another concern I have is Ika's current health...while researching his workout results I could not find Ika's results for the "bench press". I checked the results from the Combine and Pro Day and it looks like Ika did not participate in the 'bench' ... so I wonder what's up with that?...is he nursing a shoulder or elbow injury ?

Hopefully IKA is ready to put in the work.
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 05:23 PM
i heard a short interview with Stefanski this morning about the two picks we made yesterday. Schwartz wanted Ika. Said he wanted him because he is disruptive and that's what he wants on the DL. The DC wanted the guy and we got him. That is a good thing. My understanding is that he had a 3rd round grade on him as well. Maybe he doesn't work out, but this who Schwartz wanted. I get that maybe he didn't reach out to too many of us for input beforehand. So we'll have to wait and see.
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 08:37 PM
Heres to hoping he can be our own Haloti Ngata and terrorize and collapse pockets for a long time.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by mac
jc...

IMO, Ika is.."A PROJECT".. who needs a ton of work to prepare himself to compete at an NFL level.

Get him in shape and hopefully he can avoid injuries during the off season workout period that would slow his progress. Carrying 358 lbs puts a lot of stress on the knee and ankle joints and if Ika could drop 20 lbs or so, it might help to protect his leg joints.

Another concern I have is Ika's current health...while researching his workout results I could not find Ika's results for the "bench press". I checked the results from the Combine and Pro Day and it looks like Ika did not participate in the 'bench' ... so I wonder what's up with that?...is he nursing a shoulder or elbow injury ?

Hopefully IKA is ready to put in the work.

How much have you seen him play to come to the conclusion he is a project? I haven’t seen him at all. I’m okay with the pick because Schwartz made it. He is what he needs in his defense.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 09:22 PM
How much have you seen him play to come to the conclusion he is a project?

We all know that answer.
Posted By: PETE314 Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/29/23 11:30 PM
Schwartz told him that he doesn't need to be a dump truck anymore...That he can be a Ferrari...watching his interview with Cedric Tillman,he was asked about it... He wasn't sure what that meant... Lol. But later Andrew Berry was asked about it. And he said it meant that he doesn't have to just take up blockers. That he wants him to just wrap havoc getting to the QB!!!! I think he is going to like that role... LOL
Posted By: Frenchy Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/30/23 12:06 AM
Love that Swartz wanted him
Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/30/23 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
How much have you seen him play to come to the conclusion he is a project?

We all know that answer.

I’m sure he made a few phone calls
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/30/23 03:15 PM
j/c:

Not sure what to think about this pick. I don't remember watching him play, so there is no eye test. The reports on him leave me w/mixed feelings. I'm probably leaning towards thinking this wasn't a good pick.

The reaction by Schwartz gives me hope. It seems like he really wanted this guy.

On the other hand, showing up 12 lbs heavier at his pro day than he was at the Combine is alarming, as is his one-game suspension for an off the field incident.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/30/23 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Not sure what to think about this pick. I don't remember watching him play, so there is no eye test. The reports on him leave me w/mixed feelings. I'm probably leaning towards thinking this wasn't a good pick.

The reaction by Schwartz gives me hope. It seems like he really wanted this guy.

On the other hand, showing up 12 lbs heavier at his pro day than he was at the Combine is alarming, as is his one-game suspension for an off the field incident.

This one seems like it's going to require some projection. The Browns talked about using him differently than he was used at Baylor (Dump truck -> Ferrari, which Berry later expanded on.) He two gapped a lot there, but they want to see him more attacking. Of course, saying it is one thing, and seeing it is another. I see some upside there. Here's a link to a video of Okie State's Mike Gundy commenting on Ika that kind of reflects that: Link

I'm not sure what to make of the weight change. He's going to be a big dude. That's what you saw on the film. I don't think he necessarily showed up heavier at his pro day as much as he tried to cut weight for the combine. Body composition could definitely improve, but I don't know if I'd go as far as alarming. It is, admittedly, something to keep an eye on. He moves pretty well:

Haven't been able to find out more about the suspension. Hopefully having a kid now will make that sort of deal a thing of the past.

Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/30/23 04:40 PM
Thanks for the information. I really like what Gundy had to say. That's encouraging.
Posted By: YTownBrownsFan Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/30/23 05:59 PM
He has some serious guns. shocked
Posted By: hitt Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/30/23 08:58 PM
Nice arms, hopely no guns, like he has child he need to provide for- normally matures guys up....GO Browns!!!
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 04/30/23 09:26 PM
Posted By: Jester Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/01/23 03:47 AM
Hadn't looked at any of Ika's highlights before this videos
Watching it I keep hearing Schwartz saying we are goiing to turn you from a dump truck to a Ferrari
can see what Schwartz is envisioning - hope it materializes

I
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/01/23 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by mgh888
Not sure Schwartz can turn this guy in to a Ferrari - but he's a space eating, run stuffing plug to put in the middle of the DL. At #98 I am not expecting fireworks, solid rotation play and depth is fine.

You never know, but I like the perspective. He is a 3rd round pick.

The guy probably isn't going to put up great stats. He is a guy who is going to help others put up stats. His stats and value will show up on film in the coaches room.

If he can take on 2 blockers or changes the way others team attack the run, he is a winner.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/01/23 12:51 PM
j/c:

It seems like the Browns feel like Ika has some untapped interior pass rush ability and they want to reform his role a bit from what was done at Baylor. The highlight videos do indicate some pass rush ability, but then again, they are called highlights for a reason.

We'll see.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/01/23 02:49 PM
I don't think he'll put up monster numbers, but I think he could be able to blow up blocking schemes and create opportunities for plays in the backfield for other guys.
Posted By: Pdawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/01/23 08:10 PM
If he can just get a little push so QBs can’t step up in the pocket Myles will have a monster year.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/01/23 08:48 PM
When I was 18; I moved from Cleveland to Oceanside, Ca. and went to junior college.

I started to meet people my age that grew up there. There was a large community of Samoans.

Pacific Islanders are some different people. The men are huge. Really thick guys with huge legs. They are really impressive athletes. Strong dudes with thick necks and tough as nails.

Samoa is a tiny island and they have put a bunch of players into the NFL.

Strange because Polynesians originally came from SE Asia. Asians in general are small people. The Samoans are a very good-looking and a finely-built race, both men and women, with skins of a pale brown color, bright eyes, straight black hair and beautifully white teeth.

They are a closely knit community. You would not want to make a mistake and have a run in with any of them. They are nice people but not people to cross.

Ika is a Tongan. They are the same people as Samoans.

He is a big guy and you can bet he is strong as hell. They are not just big fat guys. Quick and powerful to go along with their size.

Welcome to Cleveland Siaka Ika. Cleveland is a long way from the Pacific islands.
Posted By: WooferDawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 01:06 AM
Let me guess. Mira Costa.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 11:23 AM
Correct.

When I first attended it was called Oceanside/Carlsbad Junior College. Then they renamed it Mira Costa.

Man that was long ago. Former Indian's first baseman Chris Chambliss went to school there when I was there.

Those were some wild years for me.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 12:40 PM
Always interesting to know a little something about a persons path through life. We have all had our twists and turns, not totally knowing where it as headed.

Even as older guys we don't know where that path is headed.

Well, ok, we know where it is headed, but you know what I mean.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 03:14 PM
Way off topic but recently I heard Stephen Stills tell the story of how the song "For What It's Worth" was written.

He was living in Laurel Canyon with members of Buffalo Springfield. He was on Sunset Strip and there were a group of policemen pushing around some young people. They was a famous bar called "Pandora's Box." It was across the street from the "Whisky A Go Go." Another famous club.

Pandora's Box was going to be closed. People were there because it was really the police cracking down on the "hippie scene."

I had come up from Oceanside to go the Sunset Blvd. scene. We were standing around at Pandora's Box one night and the police were there clearing sidewalks and in general pushing people around.

I have no idea if it was exactly when Stills witnessed the incident but it could have been. The timing was real close.

I left Oceanside after two years and went back to Ohio. I enrolled at Kent State. That was in 1969. I was there May 4th of 1970.

"What a long strange trip it's been."
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 04:30 PM
j/c:

Agree or nah?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 06:31 PM
Not sure, but I am glad that Berry addressed the DT spots. I think we can all agree on that.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 07:01 PM
Sounds like what we had with Jerry Ball and Michael Dean Perry 30 years ago
Posted By: CapCity Dawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Not sure, but I am glad that Berry addressed the DT spots. I think we can all agree on that.

I certainly do.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Forgot about Jerry Ball haha
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/02/23 10:57 PM
Nobody ran up the middle on us with those 2 guys!!!!
Posted By: PastorMarc Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/20/23 04:42 PM

Jerry Sherk and Walter Johnson were a great set of DT's also. thumbsup
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/20/23 11:44 PM
Jerry Ball and MDP, Michael Dean Perry, ninety two, were both long tenured vets neither was a rookie.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 05/26/23 11:14 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 06/12/23 02:20 PM
love that
Posted By: mac Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 06/25/23 12:56 PM
Getting closer to "show me" time...

I'm concerned about an injury to Ika as the hitting gets real.

Hopefully the Browns training staff will have Ika in the best shape in his lifetime. thumbsup

Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 06/25/23 03:19 PM
I have a good feeling about this players ability to, you know, do the obvious, be a massive stopper in the middle of the DL.
sticky icky
Posted By: Southwestdawg Re: Browns Select DT Siaki Ika. - 06/30/23 11:33 AM
Those were the days. Browns football at its finest in my opinion.
© DawgTalkers.net