DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:31 PM
Discuss
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:35 PM
Posted By: dawg66 Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:36 PM
Not a big need but I like the pick, there was some talk that he could go late 1st.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:37 PM
There is the Browns replacement for Wills Jr after his 5th year option expires.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:38 PM
Hes massive
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:38 PM
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:38 PM
Pretty good value pick here.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:39 PM
Don’t love hearing that he’s lazy though
I really like this pick, especially in the 4th.
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:40 PM
Does anyone know how he played against the best DL he played against this past season?
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:40 PM
I'm a firm believer we needed an OT with Conklin and Wills (injuries or contracts) so it's not a surprise to see an OT go, I'm not an OSU fan...but luckily I'm sure there's plenty of whom here who has watched the kid. I think he's purely a RT, but I don't hate the pick. Hopefully our next pick is Jammie Robinson or Antonio Johnson, as we literally have nothing behind our two starters. Or perhaps LB or DE.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:41 PM
Posted By: DaveyD Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

Maybe a temp replacement. Unless he plays way, way beyond his potential, they aren't going to replace a 1st rd pick and starter with a 4th rd prospect.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:42 PM
I am really excited about this pick in the 4th round
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:43 PM
God I remember Aaron Gibson being drafted by the Lions in the 1st round...ate himself out of a job I believe in 2-3 years.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:43 PM
Posted By: dawg66 Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Does anyone know how he played against the best DL he played against this past season?

according to PFF he didn't allow a single sack or hit last year in pass protection and his pressure rate allowed was the lowest of all FBS tackles.
Posted By: boofers20 Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:45 PM
sheesh that is a large human
Bring on the Kool aid now
Posted By: Pdawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:47 PM
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:48 PM
It appears like it’s all going to come down to his motivation
Posted By: Rottweiller Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:49 PM
HOLY HUGE, didnt see that coming. Billy Callahan must have a plan for this beast. Jed and Jack just got put on notice. Getting around him must be like going from eastern to mountain time zone thing. Our goaline offense just seemed to get better.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:50 PM
A player with a lot of upside for Bill Callahan to work with. Decent pick.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:51 PM
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:54 PM
Round 4 Pick 111: The Cleveland #Browns select OT Dawand Jones from Ohio State
- 6'8" 374 lbs, Sr., 21 yo
- Per PFF, "If you have a mobile QB, this is the guy you want at RT." A la Deshaun Watson.
- Massive frame, great pass protector, only 5 pressures on 419 pass-blocking snaps
- Slow feet, could be liability against speed of NFL edge rushers
https://twitter.com/thedawgspodcast/status/1652354391947476993
Weird to see Thanos being labeled as lazy and questionable motivation.

He wasn’t even ranked in the top 1000 recruits coming out of HS. Ohio State brought him in as a project.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:59 PM
Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by dawg66
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

according to PFF he didn't allow a single sack or hit last year in pass protection and his pressure rate allowed was the lowest of all FBS tackles.

Thanks 66.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 05:01 PM
I’ve read a bit on why he’s dropped and don’t love the pick. tough to draft a guy who doesn’t have fire to improve, especially with the fear of him becoming overweight.

I hope Callahan can work his magic
Posted By: Milk Man Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
It appears like it’s all going to come down to his motivation

Seems like it. There's a reason he slid in the draft like he did Perrion Winfrey style. Great upside though and I think its good pick in the 4th.

Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Weird to see Thanos being labeled as lazy and questionable motivation.

He wasn’t even ranked in the top 1000 recruits coming out of HS. Ohio State brought him in as a project.

Thanos. rofl
Posted By: Milk Man Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 05:15 PM
Interesting back and forth with Schwartz and Monson here...

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 05:18 PM
Yeah schwartz hasn’t liked him at all
That was his nickname at Ohio St. lol
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 05:57 PM
I like thie pick. I think he has a lot of potential. He could be a great backup or a surprise starter.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 07:46 PM
I am a huge Ohio State fan. Dude has a ton of potential. I feel he plays too high in the run game and was largely ineffective as a run blocker. He can beat out of his stance. I thought his backup did a better job in the game Jones missed. With that said, the potential is through the roof and if anyone can get him to perform.....it's Callahan.

Edit to add that getting him in the 4th round is fine.
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I am a huge Ohio State fan.

Yes. I do believe you may have mentioned that once or twice over the last few years....
thumbsup
Posted By: HotBYoungTurk Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 08:40 PM
370+ can't be healthy
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 09:36 PM
Truthfully, not many o lineman - if any - are "healthy". But, they need the weight to play the positions. The smart ones, when they are done, lose weight, and quickly.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 10:30 PM
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 10:58 PM
How much of an excuse is unprecedented height and weight for not getting low in a stance, in a 3 point stance?
Is it medically harmful for him to take proper posture pre snap and at the first instance after the snap?
He looked like he was playing high, playing high would negate the advantage his mass offers.
Good Luck. \0/ nanner
Posted By: PETE314 Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/29/23 11:16 PM
Not an excuse. But possibly a perspective....guys like him at that size have never HAD to get that low to get the job done. Also, in Dawands case. He started football late due to being focused on basketball. So reps getting low or people yelling at him to get low may not have been as prevalent...LOL... Especially if he was manhandling the guy in front of him...

But you have a good point. And I actually agree with you wholeheartedly. That is what they need to have drilled into them. To be fair it is harder as a larger guy to get down there. That is why when we do see really big guys get low it is highlighted rather than treated as well that is what he is supposed to do... Let's hope coaching is the biggest reason and we can correct it...Let's hope that when he gets low that it is an epiphany and clicks...
Posted By: Frenchy Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 12:04 AM
He started at OSU as a LT, then moved to RG, then last season RT. Seems to be pretty versatile and can fill in anywhere on the line except C. Really like the pick.

Does this have any influence on picking up Wills 5th year option?
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 12:08 AM
No, I don't believe he can play LT in the pros. There is a reason why we moved our RG to LT this year and Jones ended up at RT.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 12:38 PM
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
No, I don't believe he can play LT in the pros. There is a reason why we moved our RG to LT this year and Jones ended up at RT.

I agree. Obviously I could be wrong, but he looks to be a RT all the way. I'd even say he might be a better DT than LT.
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Posted By: GratefulDawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 02:18 PM
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.

Some might say that, but I don't agree with that. Joe Thomas by any measure was a top 10 all-time as a LT. Had some idiot decided to play him as a RT, he would have been an "average Joe"...no pun intended.

Two different skills sets and two different mentalities required.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 02:34 PM
The fact that they are even considering not picking up a 3 year starting LT contract tells you a lot
Posted By: tru_dawgs Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 03:11 PM
JC...

Jones has the ceiling to be Orlando 'Zues" Brown, that comparable size and girth...But his floor is probably that of Nat Dorsey. I think Jones should probably be a max of 330-340 lbs on that frame, they def. need him to get on par with proper nutrition and conditioning.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
The fact that they are even considering not picking up a 3 year starting LT contract tells you a lot

Unless they are still trying to hammer out a long-term deal. Locking in the 5th year options pretty high amount would give Jed more leverage in negotiations.

Kaleb McGary just re-signed with ATL for 3 years at 11.5M AAV. Jed's option is over 14M. McGary's PFF is grade is well over 80. Jed's was low 60s.

I'd guess they're trying to save some money/pay Jed what they think his actual value is. Will probably pick up the option if they can't agree on something before the deadline. That's coming up 5/1 so we should find out soon. Maybe they won't pick it up in the hope that it motivates him.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 03:17 PM
Intelligent take.
Posted By: The Big G Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 04:25 PM
Could James Hudson and Dawand Jones replace Wills and Conklin? I know Hudson got off to a bad start, but does he still have starter potential? The Browns should pay Bill Callahan whatever he wants.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 06:00 PM
I've been reading a lot about Dewand Jones mostly not good from people analyzing our draft. They're entitled to their opinion. IMO if he can't cut it at tackle he can always be moved to guard. It's not like he was a high pick he was a 4th rounder. These talking heads should cut us some slack. I think we had a better than decent draft considering what AB had to work with.
Posted By: superbowldogg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 09:15 PM
[social:tweet]
[/social]
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 04/30/23 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by tru_dawgs
JC...

Jones has the ceiling to be Orlando 'Zues" Brown, that comparable size and girth...But his floor is probably that of Nat Dorsey. I think Jones should probably be a max of 330-340 lbs on that frame, they def. need him to get on par with proper nutrition and conditioning.

Jones is a better prospect coming into the League (6.32 compared to 6.20 grade) and a better athlete overall than Brown ... yet no one is considering him to possibly make the move to LT ... even though he has played there before (albeit a small sample size of 80 snaps) and Orlando Brown Jr. has been successful while playing LT.

And I agree that Jones needs to play around 340 lb to 350 maximum.

Parrish Johnson is a more nature fit at LT ... but if OSU wouldn't of had his services Jones could have been their LT the past two seasons.
Posted By: eotab Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 05/01/23 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Milk Man

The kid is a natural Right Tackle this pick has nothing to do with Wills Jr.
I know I'm an OL nut but he is a beast who can do one thing...PLAY FOOTBALL!!
I think we got the STEAL of the Draft!!!

jmho
Posted By: bonefish Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 05/01/23 03:11 PM
Thanks tab.

I was waiting to hear your take on this guy. You are the OL wiseman.

Wills has had some problems but he came to the NFL as a very young guy who had to move from RT to LT.

We have Callahan. He developed Teller. I think he will get both players to reach their potential.

Glad to hear that you think Jones was a steal.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: 4th Round Selection - Dawand Jones - 05/01/23 04:22 PM
Good info tab. I think we know conklin isn’t long for the NFL
© DawgTalkers.net