DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life 5th Round Pick - Dorian Thompson-Robinson - 04/29/23 05:54 PM
Yikes
Don’t understand it
Don't understand it either, you got Watson, Dobbs, and Mond already. When LB, 3rd safety, RB depth is still more of a pressing issue ontop of slot CB
we need backup for a few years... He loves to underthrow the ball vs lead the receiver. (on deeper passes)
Groan. I do not understand the point of this pick. Berry got caught up in the run on QBs.
Posted By: dawg66 Re: 5th Round Pick - Dorian Thompson-Robinson - 04/29/23 05:59 PM
Not thrilled with the pick but Daniel Jeremiah just said that he could be a really good #2 and possibly even a starter in this league.
This guy could be better than any backup QB we have now. He's worth a shot.
picks like and the CB this is why I don't think Berry is going to be the guy running the controls if we ever finally do start to make deep runs.. our safties and linebackers are at the very bottom of the NFL, at worse you try to find some depth. Because we don't have 83 QBs and 4500 Cbs on the roster?
somebody needs to check the feathers in those darts,not only are they not getting bullseyes now they are missing the entire board.
He's a true dual-threat, which is the system we're all in on with Watson. Plus he's SUPER smart. Things you want out of a backup QB.

Not to mention, everybody wanted to see a mobile QB. We have one in Watson. You know what happens to mobile QBs that aren't the size of Roethlisberger or Josh Allen? They get injured. Might be smart to have a plug-n-play backup available.

This year we have Josh Dobbs. This year. He's on a one year deal. After that? If Watson got hurt we'd have......*crickets*. Now we have DTR.

Brown talked to him 5 different times. Did tons of research on him and really liked what they saw/heard. I'll take a wicked smart and mobile backup QB of the future in the 5th.
I'm guessing Mond is on the outside looking in to make the 53 roster.
Posted By: mac Re: 5th Round Pick - Dorian Thompson-Robinson - 04/29/23 06:44 PM
Great #ShrineBowl, fastest 40 and arm velocity at Combine, and consistently impressed in Interviews

An "analytics" pick.... banghead

Maybe DTR can play safety or LB...
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
I'm guessing Mond is on the outside looking in to make the 53 roster.

I would agree with this. I think one also needs to look at the style of the draft pick. All too often we've seen where the backup QB has a very different skill set as the starting QB. This forces the O to change things up a great deal and limits the playbook. When you have a backup, or even third string QB who comes into the game, of course their skill set isn't on par with your starter. But if their skill set matches up in similarity to style and basic skills it makes it much easier not to have to change up what you usually run on O.

Some seem more focused on what position he plays and make that into a negative. But at what point in the draft do people think you need to draft BPA instead of positions of need and what players do they claim were left on the board they feel could come in and start and help those positions? At this point in the draft in all likelihood one would hope the GM is looking at BPA because that's the way great teams are built. I highly doubt anyone seriously thinks there were some great players left at positions of need that could step in as starters right away to address those issues.

It's high time this team is being built with the future in mind and that's what I'm beginning to see here.
Originally Posted by mac
Great #ShrineBowl, fastest 40 and arm velocity at Combine, and consistently impressed in Interviews

Maybe RB. Averaged 5.5 YPC and had 12 rushing TDs last season.
Originally Posted by mac

And who exactly was left on the draft board that you feel could have become day 1 starters or starters in the upcoming season to address the safety or LB'er position?

See, that's the problem here. People are complaining about problems that couldn't have been solved at this point in the draft anyway.
I'm good with this pick; I was actually hoping we would take a QB here. I just have a good feeling about this one....
I like this pick. I actually said the following on the Players Meeting with the Browns thread:

I actually think we could take Robinson if he is available where we have him slotted. We also met w/him at the Combine. He has a similar skill set to Watson.
Oh there’s no doubt his skill set matches what our offense will look like. Mond and Dobbs are gone.
Really good college player, I watched a bunch of UCLA games, not surprised at the pick. Good runner as well.
1) Watson
2) DTR

Practice Squad:
Dobbs
Mond
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Oh there’s no doubt his skill set matches what our offense will look like. Mond and Dobbs are gone.

I don't think Dobbs is gone.
Posted By: Jester Re: 5th Round Pick - Dorian Thompson-Robinson - 04/29/23 08:50 PM
Dobbs is on a 1 year contract
Plan was always for him to be the backup Qb this year and for us to mold someone to be the backup going forward.
This season is too important for jobs to mess around a completely inexperienced backup Qb.
Originally Posted by dawg66
Not thrilled with the pick but Daniel Jeremiah just said that he could be a really good #2 and possibly even a starter in this league.

And that says it all. We are good at QB until we aren't.
They need to connect him to Watson's hip. Groom him for a few years to replace Watson when that time comes.
He may have more value than Mond running a scout team in preparation for Jackson and possibly Richardson.
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by mac

And who exactly was left on the draft board that you feel could have become day 1 starters or starters in the upcoming season to address the safety or LB'er position?

See, that's the problem here. People are complaining about problems that couldn't have been solved at this point in the draft anyway.

I agree.

It's easy to say "I don't like the pick...must be analytics."..lol

. .It was an exceptional value pick, the guy clones to what Watson does. The draft is about getting good players. Especially late in the draft. If you are trying to fill needs at this point, you blew it.
Originally Posted by Jester
Dobbs is on a 1 year contract
Plan was always for him to be the backup Qb this year and for us to mold someone to be the backup going forward.
This season is too important for jobs to mess around a completely inexperienced backup Qb.

I think Dobbs stays, but the season is over if Watson goes down. We aren't winning in the AFC w/Dobbs at qb. I value him for his brain and experience.
I think there’s no way we ever are thinking about Watson’s replacement. We picked DTR for a backup role
Something interesting I discovered while looking at DTR's ranking on the ESPN page covering our pics. The first sentence of the player analysis referred to him as an undersized prospect. Not knowing a lot about him, I looked at his size and he was listed as 6' 2". Curiosity got to me because I knew Bryce Young is rather small so I went to his page. He was listed as 5' 10 1/8". Not a single bit of info in his description about being undersized. Their weights were listed as almost identical, but I have read that Young put 20 pounds on for the combine, but didn't run because his speed was affected. According to Alabama sources he played at 185-190. I am in no way saying DTR is in the same class of QB, I just found it curious why the draft report on a player labeled as undersized is 4" taller than a guy whose height is not mentioned.
DTR is not a small person. Built more like a RB or large WR.
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
DTR is not a small person. Built more like a RB or large WR.

THat is what I thought, so I was trying to determine if this was a case of intentionally promoting/sinking a player's rating or just sloppy journalism.
I also think he gives us a great look on the scout team too. His skill set mirrors a lot of what WE want to do but also what other teams do as well
Let the new starting QB controversy begin. j\kidding. I like the pick. Great foot work, good touch, accurate, big, fast. Hell yeah, bring it.
And his favorite HS Target?
Cedric Tillman......
Sometimes the stars line up just right. In this case I'm thinking possibly by design.
Between DTR and Dobbs, I think the strategy is to keep both, but #2 will go to whoever is most likely to get claimed if put on the practice squad. It'll likely be:

Starter: Watson
Backup: DTR
PS: Dobbs, Mond
Kid has a very high ceiling... lots to learn, but could be a great pick... I really like Dobbs and Mond but think DTR has more talent than both... Dobbs I'd love to see transition to a QB coach... kid is really smart... my guess is Mond will be odd man out...
Anybody think he looks a little bit like that dreaded starting Baltimore @uarterback, when you see him run the ball in highlights,
well
with a more accurate arm of course.
'of course
© DawgTalkers.net