DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Solutions - 09/20/23 06:17 PM
We have to start PLAYING BETTER offensively and winning on that side of the ball. At this point, we can't afford to have the same type of play we have seen ... if we lose a game or two here before the bye it's going to get ugly IMO.

So, what should we do to improve the offense? Any ideas? I think our offense will be more gun-based now without Chubb.

I also think we should start rolling Watson out a bit more and not trying to rely on pocket passing as much. Let's build his confidence a bit

Lastly, we need more Moore and Goodwin. They are playmakers. We need cheap YAC yards
Posted By: Bard Dawg Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 06:48 PM
Use the middle of the field for some chunk passes. Ski loves sideline routes when he goes pass simple, and we just aren't consistently good at those. Review the roster; we have ignored our better receivers to throw too many targets at lousy routes. The route depth and staring down receivers is helping DW fail horribly IMO. Wills is no Thomas, but he is not much of anybody either. Poor feet IMO, low motivation. Collects flags at worst clutch times. Not a killer instinct.
I think some of the side to side backfield action is hurting us. Hard to mount a run game if you don't call runs. I really want to see Van Pelt call some offense. Give him the red zone. Our only hope may be if we get to the thirty, kick the FG, and kick as many as we can every game. This offense as called, neglecting and losing Chubb, has to do something that scores points. Defense can keep us in; offense can give it away. Fix Stefanski first.
Posted By: FATE Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 07:02 PM
Watson obviously has all the tools to be a very good QB in this league. Most of what's wrong is what's going on between the ears. First play of Pittsburgh game was a pick six. Stutter-step and bad hands led to that, can't really put that on Watson. The rest of the game seemed to be mostly Watson throwing late and/or behind receivers. Simply put, he's not playing with confidence.

The only WR he has any synergy with is Cooper, while you want to keep building on that, it's imperative that we start to see the same with others.

This was a very good article, lot's of nuts and bolts, the over-riding theme is that "timing" seems to be the biggest problem. As far as this small part that I quoted, the play-calling needle definitely needs to bend towards "where Watson has been at his best"...

There is also the matter of trying to blend where Watson has been at his best — spread formations, empty formations, and attacking to space — with how Stefanski’s offense has operated in the past, using bigger personnel groups, condensed formations, and attacking with timing and rhythm. Finding a way to blend those approaches was always going to be part of this process, and that process is ongoing.

But there is a difficulty in operating a timing-and-rhythm offense when the quarterback is still getting acclimated to that system. When throws are a step late, it can lead to missed opportunities.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2023/9/19/23880356/deshaun-watson-cleveland-browns-nfl-steelers
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 08:17 PM
Actually that first pass appeared to be a lack of communication between watson and Bryant. It looked like watson was expecting him to sit down in the gap on that zone coverage and Bryant thought he was supposed to continue running the route. Due to that the pass was well behind Bryant but wasn't an impossible catch to make. I have no idea whose fault the communication issue was with.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 08:18 PM
On the positive side Cleveland under Stefanski have often(?) or at least sometimes come out and performed above expectations after laying an egg due to facing adversity.

On the negative side, I don't think "timing" plays are what Watson is about... Mentioned in a different thread that it seems like Watsons highlights are a combination of broken plays where he runs around making something out of nothing.... I've not seen a reel of plays where he drops back and plants his feet and fires on a 3 or 5 step drop hitting receivers in stride.... Personally I don't think there is more acclimatization to be done. He's had 18 months. I think the issues are deeper or simply different than thay. Jmo
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 08:47 PM
well, the good news for most Browns fans is that, technically speaking, alcohol IS a solution.

So they've got that going for them.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 10:15 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888
On the positive side Cleveland under Stefanski have often(?) or at least sometimes come out and performed above expectations after laying an egg due to facing adversity.

On the negative side, I don't think "timing" plays are what Watson is about... Mentioned in a different thread that it seems like Watsons highlights are a combination of broken plays where he runs around making something out of nothing.... I've not seen a reel of plays where he drops back and plants his feet and fires on a 3 or 5 step drop hitting receivers in stride.... Personally I don't think there is more acclimatization to be done. He's had 18 months. I think the issues are deeper or simply different than thay. Jmo

This isn't rocket science. When they have to start publishing articles on why a guy is failing and digging deep for explanations, the explanation is they aren't very good.

It was the same thing with Baker (except more people bought into the excuses) and it's the same thing with Watson. What are your eyes telling you? When you have to resort to wide receivers are running the wrong routes, the conversation is pretty much over.

The best we can hope for is a tweaked hammy and DTR gets in. We have our own Brady/Hurts situation here. But because of what Watson is making the transition has to happen organically. Let's go tweaked hammy!
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 10:18 PM
1) Shotgun. Lots and lots of shotgun. Scrap putting Watson under center, it is not his game.

2) Head to the 480 bridge.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 10:28 PM
Yeah let’s hope for an injury so that a rookie 5th round QB can take the reins.
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by lampdogg

Yes, please.
Posted By: Milk Man Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The best we can hope for is a tweaked hammy and DTR gets in. We have our own Brady/Hurts situation here. But because of what Watson is making the transition has too happen organically. Let's go tweaked hammy!

Not to be "that guy" but if this is the angle, wouldn't it be preferable that in midst of his struggles he stumbles into a seedy massage parlor and the Browns are able to void his contract? willynilly

<I'll see myself out now>
Posted By: Rishuz Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 10:45 PM
Yes, please.
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 11:24 PM
Laughed loud
Posted By: lampdogg Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 11:34 PM
The defence needs to keep doing what they’re doing.

Keep things going with the run game. We do that well, Ford ran for 106 (70 yards on one play but still) because we are good at it.
I don’t know about Watson. Roll outs? More shotgun. I see a lot of suggestions here and I don’t know if they’re bad ideas or not, I do know this offense has to start looking cohesive.

Pitt’s D was great against us and our pass blocking couldn’t contain them. To say the least.

If this goes south it won’t be pretty.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Solutions - 09/20/23 11:36 PM
I don't want to see us using 2 TEs and an extra OL to try to set up deep passes. It never worked, and limited Watson's options. Plus, our OL wasn't holding up very long. Ogunjobi was giving our IOL fits.

I want to see less of Bryant. His catch radius is abysmal and worse than that when he gator arms. Plus, his blocking is meh. He's not awful, but having him singled up on an edge is dumb. He's a good athlete for his size and he can get open at times, but the margin for error with him as far as actually being able to catch the ball leaves a lot to be desired.

I'd use Moore more on crossing routes and less along the sideline. Let him get in open space and run away from people. He doesn't have great length to extend and toe tap, and defenders can use the sideline as an extra defender to mitigate his speed there. Leave the outside stuff to the big bodies. Maybe give Moore some whip routes as well. If we're going to have him in the back field, give him more wheel routes (with his aim point on/inside the numbers rather than along the sideline.)

I might see what one of the other OTs can do at LT. I'm not sure we have better options than Jed, but maybe it'd light a fire under his ...behind.

I'd spread it out more. When they do spread it out, I'd keep a back by Watson to maintain the threat of running. We ran a lot of condensed formations, which let the Steelers pack more defenders in the box and made it harder for the OL to figure out who was coming (and harder for the QB to predict coverages, especially when the D showed man but played zone.) The few plays we spread it out, we had the RB out wide so the Steelers pinned their ears back. In theory, I understand why one might do those things. In practice, it hasn't worked for us.

Flex out our TEs and take advantage of however they try to match up. If they try to cover with DBs, big boy them or run. If they cover with LBs, make them chase the TEs down field. Lighten the box and make the immediate/inside blitzers/pressure easier to identify (straight up fewer possibilities) as well as having less defenders to clog potential lanes behind. Plus, it simplifies things for the OL. They have fewer potentials to worry about and can focus on blocking the guy across from them for the most part.
Posted By: oobernoober Re: Solutions - 09/21/23 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by lampdogg

Yes, please.

You'd think after seeing this type of plan being put in action enough times, you'd know it won't work.

We are stuck with Watson. The contract makes that an inescapable reality.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Solutions - 09/21/23 04:13 PM
This isn't rocket science. When they have to start publishing articles on why a guy is failing and digging deep for explanations, the explanation is they aren't very good.

It was the same thing with Baker (except more people bought into the excuses) and it's the same thing with Watson. What are your eyes telling you? When you have to resort to wide receivers are running the wrong routes, the conversation is pretty much over.

This sounds all too familiar. Everyone involved is doing something wrong but watson.
Posted By: bonefish Re: Solutions - 09/21/23 04:32 PM
There are no simple solutions.

Deshaun Watson has to play better. I don't think that is simple. Everyone knew going into this season that DW had to lead the team.

That is why Haslam took the risk. It was an understandable calculated risk.

KS now has the responsibility to coach DW and the offense. KS cannot play for DW. DW has to make plays.

KS and DW have had many hours to set up and practice what the offense should look like.

When a play is called everyone has their job. If the play is a pass play DW is the point guard. Do what the play calls for or check it down and take what you can.

It is still a team game but the quarterback is the director. He has to execute.

The team has to take this week like all teams do. Improve upon mistakes and get better. Come back and play better.
Posted By: Swish Re: Solutions - 09/21/23 08:15 PM
Get a designed QB run called within the 1st 3 plays. Get some easy dump off passes early to Kareem to establish some chemistry and positive yards. Need more no huddle offense as well.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Solutions - 09/21/23 09:15 PM
I’d give Watson a short leash and bench him if he starts sucking again. I’d rather watch DTR take some lumps then watch Watson play like crap again. I’m also hoping SKi gets a hangnail and spends the game at home… I will be shocked if we win this game after what we just saw.
Posted By: OldColdDawg Re: Solutions - 09/21/23 09:18 PM
I don’t think Kareem will suit up this week, or will be used very sparingly. I can’t imagine he’s ready for full go the entire game after sitting at home until this week.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Solutions - 09/21/23 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Swish
Get a designed QB run called within the 1st 3 plays. Get some easy dump off passes early to Kareem to establish some chemistry and positive yards. Need more no huddle offense as well.

I agree. Watson has played spread type O football. He did in college and houston was similar. We need to structure the O towards what he does well. Get 4 receivers out there and play ball. Quit dorking around with 2 TE's on the field.

Watson needs 2 reads. Read 1, read 2, if nothing, run that darn ball and keep going or hit the back running some sort of checkdown.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Solutions - 09/21/23 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I agree. Watson has played spread type O football. He did in college and houston was similar. We need to structure the O towards what he does well. Get 4 receivers out there and play ball. Quit dorking around with 2 TE's on the field.

Watson needs 2 reads. Read 1, read 2, if nothing, run that darn ball and keep going or hit the back running some sort of checkdown.

2 TEs I can handle. 2 TEs and an extra OL and keeping them all inline, please, no. Flex those TEs out.
Posted By: Ballpeen Re: Solutions - 09/22/23 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg

2 TEs I can handle. 2 TEs and an extra OL and keeping them all inline, please, no. Flex those TEs out.

One maybe. We don't need 2.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Solutions - 09/22/23 12:36 AM
Depends on the opponent and how they'd play flexed out TEs.
Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Solutions - 09/22/23 01:26 AM
Solutions: Just win. I don't care how. Just win. Period.
Posted By: mgh888 Re: Solutions - 09/22/23 08:24 AM

I think it also very much depends on who the two TE's are. Njoku is the poster child for flashing physical tools that are greater than his actual contribution (and he's in his 7th year and has two seasons with more than 600 yards receiving). Bryant appears to still be a liability after a rookie season that at one time looked promising.
Posted By: Hammer Re: Solutions - 09/22/23 02:02 PM
Joke is a joke. Always has been - not a football player. He's a high jumper and plays like one.

A chance to make a big play again on Monday and he fumbles. Crazy they pay/paid this clown.

To think they could have had TJ Watt and Garrett that same year in the draft nauseates me to this day.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Solutions - 09/22/23 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by mgh888

I think it also very much depends on who the two TE's are. Njoku is the poster child for flashing physical tools that are greater than his actual contribution (and he's in his 7th year and has two seasons with more than 600 yards receiving). Bryant appears to still be a liability after a rookie season that at one time looked promising.

Njoku caught all 4 of his targets for 48 yards. He averaged over a first down per target. It's hard (impossible?) to have production on plays that they keep you in blocking. If you want to have him put up big numbers, he's going to have to be running more routes. Can he block? Yes. Is it a waste of his talents? I lean yes. If he's not lined up inline to block, the guy that he ends up blocking when attached to the OL likely wouldn't be in there either.

I agree on Bryant. If you can sneak him out uncovered and put it right between the numbers, he can catch it. Otherwise he's a turnover waiting to happen. In tight space, his lack of length makes him an "easy" cover. I think flexing him out could get more favorable matchups for blocking with him potentially. He might have better luck with a "coverage" LB or a safety than TJ Watt. It might also take a thumper/rusher off the field. While his catch radius is lousy, they still have to cover him, so I might have him run "decoy" slot fades. If they don't cover him, you don't have to worry nearly so much about INTs. At worst, its a defender out of the box.

I haven't seen enough of Akins on the field with us to get much of a read.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Solutions - 09/22/23 05:15 PM
Greg Newsome has been ruled out .. we need him more against Baltimore I think, but hopefully he gets healthy
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Solutions - 09/23/23 03:03 PM
The Titans are an interesting team b/c of a Ohio guy who hosts a media show about that team with a ton of energy, for that reason I've listened to more titans info across the web than any of the other 8 ish, up to 8 ish non Browns teams that I'd occasionally listen to to get some perspective.
b/c of that, I'd say of the titans, you have to watch out for 3 players, when they win... 3 players have a good day, and, even though they may not be the most famous if you don't account for them they will be a pain in your day.
Jeffery Simmons DT, is their best player, he's kind of a cross between Trey Hendrickon of cincy and DJ reader of cincy, .. in attack mode and body frame,
or, you could say a cross between TJ watt and Cam Heyward of the steeler in attack mode and body frame,
Jeffery simmons is their number one player even better than , Rb? I can't remember his name.

2nd Dylan Radunz OL, .. I know, who? yeah, but any time the Titan get a win Dylan Raduns gets talked up like he's a superstar, you CANNOT let him have a good day, or a big day.

3rd. sigh, Nicholas Westbrook Ikina... sigh, a Wr.
look, If you wanna lose, let him play well ^, he's like their Rashard Higgins, You CANNOT let him have a good day and expect to win,

another thing,
I don't remember a time that team won and these 3 players didn't have a good game, so
if you account for those, 'one star' and 2 role players, you'd vastly improve your chances to win over the Titans.

I mean
AJ Brown is on the freaking Eagles
Kick their tail Stefanski, errr, or interim coach... Browns played their best game when the coach was in the Covid basement @uarantine, sigh.
' Waive Depo' wgws, <which goes without saying.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Solutions - 09/23/23 03:17 PM
This isn't a solution, but something we'll need a solution for:

Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Solutions - 09/23/23 03:29 PM
They are pretty tricky on D. But I think a lot will hinge on which version of Tannehill the Browns will face. He's very up and down. Almost Jekyll and Hydeish. As an example in week 1 he went 16-34 with 3 int's and no td's. The very next week he went 20-24 with 1 td and 0 int's. The Spears kid at RB seems like he may be more dangerous than people are giving him credit for as well. So far he's only being used to give Henry a break here and there but has been very productive when given the opportunity.
Posted By: The Collector Re: Solutions - 09/23/23 05:35 PM
Watson has to be less careless with the ball. It feels like his arrogance is getting the better of him. Its just the way he plays football there's this arrogant energy around him and his play. He can extend plays with his legs, but it's like he forgot that edge rushers are still pretty fast.

I'd like to see him throw the ball away more and save himself for another day. Is taking too many shots as a QB. The more he runs and then drops his shoulder the more the refs are going to treat him like Cam Newton.

Also his downfield accuracy is trash. I've never seen so many balls sail over the heads of receivers. Just completely over throwing guys.
Posted By: Homewood Dog Re: Solutions - 09/23/23 07:12 PM
We need this game badly. If we lose tomorrow, we have 2 very difficult games coming up even if we are at home. The Titans have a good D-line that can rush the passer. We need to run well with some play action to keep them honest. DW has to step it up now. We need him to play better.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Solutions - 09/23/23 08:25 PM
I'm concerned about Tannehill's legs beating us more than his arm. Our LBs are a little bit slow and we play a lot of man
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Solutions - 09/23/23 09:14 PM

Isn't that^ exactly what was supposedly wrong with Baker, injured type,

That he was only taking 2 reads and not continuing on beyond that,
Wasn't that going on... when OBJ's dad was making internet videos of open Wr's not getting the ball because the @uarterback couldn't make enough reads?
Posted By: bbrowns32 Re: Solutions - 09/23/23 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
If we lose tomorrow...

Simply ain't gonna happen! We shut them down on defense and our offense does enough to win 24-10....
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Solutions - 09/24/23 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
They are pretty tricky on D. But I think a lot will hinge on which version of Tannehill the Browns will face. He's very up and down. Almost Jekyll and Hydeish. As an example in week 1 he went 16-34 with 3 int's and no td's. The very next week he went 20-24 with 1 td and 0 int's. The Spears kid at RB seems like he may be more dangerous than people are giving him credit for as well. So far he's only being used to give Henry a break here and there but has been very productive when given the opportunity.

Spears was on the field a lot last week. They had both Spears and Henry on the field together a decent bit.

I thought Henry was looking a bit like late career Jamal Lewis in Cleveland. Still pretty effective, but definitely lacking some juice from his prime.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Solutions - 09/24/23 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I'm concerned about Tannehill's legs beating us more than his arm. Our LBs are a little bit slow and we play a lot of man

He had some nice deep throws. Our DBs can't get sucked up by play action. I don't think Henry is quite the concern he used to be. Still wouldn't be surprised to see us run some 5 down linemen fronts.

Tannehill did look pretty spry, so we do have to keep the scramble ability in mind.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Solutions - 09/24/23 02:02 AM
it's reported that Hopkins will play for sure
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Solutions - 09/24/23 01:53 PM
I agree with you about Henry. He's a much bigger back and plays a much more physical style absorbing a lot more physical punishment than most every other NFL RB. It's certainly taken its toll on him from what I have seen thus far. Living so close to Nashville all the local news covers the Titans. One thing that might make people feel better going into this game is that until last week, the Titans hadn't won a regular season game since Nov. 17th of last year. They lost 8 straight games until their 3 point win against the Chargers.
Posted By: THROW LONG Re: Solutions - 09/24/23 03:42 PM
Bring in a blocking TE, whether a fifth wheel OL, or maybe a Miller Foristall or Mitchell Paden,

Whose presence would free up Njoku to be a larger part of the passing targets total.

As it is so far? I don't know if Jordan Akins has had any impact whatsoever, so 'so far he has been a non factor.

DPJ, is not the only Offensive player that the Browns need to get off of a Milk Carton. <that's on Deshaun too, not just the coach.

... ...see the faces of missing children used to be put on cardboard type 'milk cartons, so people across the country could read about the missing person while eating morning breakfast, in the hopes they would be recognized and found and returned to their families.
© DawgTalkers.net