DawgTalkers.net
The one thing I'd like to see eliminated, focused and corrected this bye is by far the amount of penalties.

I think those flags have, in many instances, hurt us more than our piss poor defensive group.

Go!
Win instead of lose. Not this season though. Next season would be better.
"ONE" thing I would like to see corrected...
Aggression on the LOS both ways.
We got who we got...we can't talk about that. I want to see that promised "PLAY LIKE A BROWN" I want some Some kick ass back to the corner Bubble snot hitting out there every down Throughout the game. Make teams Quit. Show some Balls to the Walls!

jmho
I would like NOT to see capable pass rushers like Paul Kruger and Armonty Bryant drop into pass coverage with RBs, WRs, and TEs. Sic 'em on the QBs.
Fix the absolute garbage run game.
Does peeguy pee on himself during the bye?
I don't know that any of the deeper issues plaguing us can be corrected over the short span of a Bye Week. Period.

I mean, come on.... we had what - 10 days? - to get ready for Pittsburgh and that's what we trotted out there?? A Bye Week isn't going to do anything for that.
I'd like to see our defense get off the field on third down. No matter the distance, the other team always converts. There is nothing more frustrating than watching that.

Would also like to see us win 4 of the next 6.
Can we develop a pass rush, please.
My hope is to see "positive change".

Whether that is a better running game, more discipline/less penalties, more intensity or even an attempt to change up the D scheme.

I want to see something positive and substantial that will give me hope that this coaching staff is starting to "get it". As of now they keep doing the same things week after week with no evidence they are trying to use our players strengths on game day. The team seems to lack discipline week in and week out.

I need to see some shred of evidence these guys are gradually improving in their jobs. So far, the evidence isn't there. Of course they were all rookies last year or this year. But at some point it's only fair to expect rookies to improve. Even in the case of coaching and the FO.
Quote:
I want to see something positive and substantial that will give me hope that this coaching staff is starting to "get it".

That kind of sums it up for me. I want to see proof that the team hasn't quit on the staff.

A big part of that is just enthusiasm and discipline... I know we aren't extremely talented in areas, but we've lost our last 4 games by a combined 119-45 score... that's worse than just not having enough talent.
I'd like to go .500 from here on out. That only happens if we're healthy. So my "one thing" is to get the players on the field and ready to make plays.
The one thing I'd like to see corrected this bye is Farmer on his butt looking for a new job. Right now we are the worst team in the NFL. If we end up with the #1 overall pick, I can't imagine Haslam having trust in Farmer to make the right decision with it considering how this team has digressed since his arrival.
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
I want to see something positive and substantial that will give me hope that this coaching staff is starting to "get it".

That kind of sums it up for me. I want to see proof that the team hasn't quit on the staff.

A big part of that is just enthusiasm and discipline... I know we aren't extremely talented in areas, but we've lost our last 4 games by a combined 119-45 score... that's worse than just not having enough talent.

And to further your comment. I too believe we are lacking in talent. However, that doesn't mean we should be seeing the product that we are.

The multiple penalties, the lack of using players to their strengths, the obvious lack of changing up the schemes. All of this leads me to believe there is a coaching issue. A BIG coaching issue.

I understand that it's not about W's and L's when you lack talent. That's not what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for is this coaching staffs ability to maintain some discipline and using our players to their strong suits.

I believe our GM is the biggest reason for our lack of talent and that has to change. But I also see so many weaknesses in how this team is coached that I can't absolve them for their part in what we see.
Mine is pressure, with less coverage by our slowest and more pounding receivers on the line. Letting folks run free so we turn and chase. Less zone, more pressure, more press cover. Start there.

Penalties should not be something on the list to fix.
I would say correct the team's location. Make it LA.
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

I think L.A. would rather the movie 'San Andreas' become a documentary.
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I vote "no" on that one.
my one thing has remained consistent since 99 ... the consistent ability to run the football.

we have such a highly touted OL and we can't run for SH!T
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I'd like to see our defense get off the field on third down. No matter the distance, the other team always converts. There is nothing more frustrating than watching that.

Would also like to see us win 4 of the next 6.

You're right, Rish'. And the way we do that is what Swish said about improving our pass rush. We''ll continue to get shredded until we do...
I'd like to see us handle this like it's pre-season...

Play a really good first half, bench the starters and ensure we lose in the 2nd half...
This thread is so sad.
The defensive scheme needs changed. Discipline needs to be applied. Attitude needs adjusted.

Pettine and O'neil need to do some soul searching. If either wants to keep his job, they better figure out this defense.

I say trash all the "trying to disguise", in my opinion all the movement is giving the opponent the opportunity to start the play before they are set.

Line up and grow some balls. Mano y mano. Get tough and get off the field. No more faking the blitz and dropping Kruger and Bryant into coverage. Blitz for god's sake and do it often. We are getting burned deep as it is, might as well at least get a sack once and a while.

I too dread third down. I never believe they are going to stop it, and usually they don't. The longer it is the more sure I am that they are going to give it up. Third and short usually becomes a ten yard run.

Simplify the defense and use the players strengths.
A stronger committment to the running game.
I want to see a player or two really step up their game. This team is completely void of star talent. All good teams have a few players that are elite at their position...we have none save JT. I realize it's a longshot due to the pizz poor talent evaluation of the FO.
The ownership of the team.

This would be acceptable. Probably jumping ship after this season anyway. The Browns suck. Haslam really doesn't give anyone hope of being able to turn it around. He is clueless when it comes to running a football operation. The Browns are becoming a distant memory. Sad.
Originally Posted By: DeputyDawg
The ownership of the team.

I agree with this also.
Agree whole bunches. Wanna puke every time I hear Mingo has mad coverage skills.
Explains a lot about the edge. If this is all the DC can bring, with clever disguises, and crappy tackling, and sub-crappy coverage with stupid cushions, get out. Bench the DC.
Defense should be most easily fixed.
Originally Posted By: The Beast

This would be acceptable. Probably jumping ship after this season anyway. The Browns suck. Haslam really doesn't give anyone hope of being able to turn it around. He is clueless when it comes to running a football operation. The Browns are becoming a distant memory. Sad.

YEP...Cut that baby in half as its always been the rational solution.

If you and others wish to JUMP SHIP...go right ahead its your choice. But to wish to put us that remain in NFL PURGATORY with NO TEAM to cheer...why even go in that direction. Just say you don't care anymore cause you will route for another team starting next year...Move the team to LA is not a solution.
The GM
Not sucking.
Not being the bane of my existence.
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
A stronger committment to the running game.

Yeah.

Is it too late to go back to the ZBS? Obviously the OL did better in that and they already know it. The OL coaches should already know it as well since they coached it last year. Is Flip the problem since his offense is not based on it?

And go hard-core on penalties in practice. Do what Mangini did and make them run laps. I know that's a bit like high school but pros don't want to run laps any more than high schoolers. I don't even think it's the physical part of laps but more the embarrassment of being punished in front of your peers for screwing up.

I think also I'd like to see the CBs jam at the LOS. Giving a 5-7 yard cushion serves to allow some of these ultra fast WR to run by our CBs. I'm pretty sure the cushion is supposed to prevent that but I think jamming them at the LOS would help as well as disrupt the timing between the QB and WR.
I would like to see some resemblance of an NFL team after the bye.
Quote:
I think also I'd like to see the CBs jam at the LOS. Giving a 5-7 yard cushion serves to allow some of these ultra fast WR to run by our CBs. I'm pretty sure the cushion is supposed to prevent that but I think jamming them at the LOS would help as well as disrupt the timing between the QB and WR.

I think Pettine mentioned that in one of his pressers. He was saying that they were not using that first five yards to knock the receivers off their routes. I've noticed it in games too. They play up, but do not attempt to jam the WR. I think they are supposed to, and aren't.

But in that light, having Bademosi one on one with a #1 receiver is a coaching blunder.

These guys got to get up in their face and get their hands on them at the line of scrimmage. Screw the timing up with the QB. This does not help the pass rush either, since the receiver is beating them in the first ten yards. Quick passes, and quick reads that lead to long passes.
2nd & 3rd string CB's just aren't going to do very well in this league playing that type of man outside. Add in being thin at Safety & OLB and we're just freaking exposed. We're a sieve and have nothing to plug the holes with.
I'm just a simple man. So all I'd like to see is proper tackling technique.
Still, I favor pounding the turtles out of 'em. Or they have to buy a pricey PSL for the best seats to squat and watch. We play horribly in the secondary. Silly and stupid to keep getting torched the same way every week. Penalties also help us look dumb and awful.
If you don't have deep help...its dangerous to jam them sometimes. Just saying.
Originally Posted By: eotab

Yup. If you don't have good help over the top and you get beat at the LoS, now you're playing catch-up with very poor position.

It's a tough system to ask your CB's to play, and the downside is that if you lose your top CB's, your effectiveness plummets. You then are faced with having to either just keep playing it and try to cover/mask the deficiencies, or you'd pretty much have to scrap the scheme and go vanilla - and this is where we're kinda at.
Wow...

This thread is quite depressing actually. No one is really stating anything that is far out, yet there so many different and various things being posted.

This team is a melted snow cone lol..
Not to over-simplify, but it seems to me that if you can't play press man-to-man, jamming your guy a la Hanford and Minnie, then you can't play man-to-man at all. If you're giving a 5-7 yard cushion, these WRs eat your lunch all day on the short-medium range passes, just moving the ball down the field in 7-10-15 yard chunks. Plus, our DBs are so prone to biting on the double move that its only a matter of time before they get beat, even with the cushion they're giving, because they've been set up to try jumping the route by the shorter passes success earlier in the game. At least in press coverage you have a chance to disrupt the timing of a pattern at the only point on the field where you can legally touch the receiver. I could be wrong, but I just think that if your CBs can't play press - get a strong jam at the LOS - then you should go with some well disguised zone coverage schemes instead.

Do you think the scheme is lacking, and putting too much pressure on the DBs?

There are many things that need to happen but the "one" thing that has to be corrected is the ability to make the right decisions on personnel.

It starts with the draft but it also pertains to the entire roster.

I hadn't thought of that which is why I read on here everyday in hopes of learning things. Thanks

That seems counter - intuitive ...wouldn't you want to jam them if you don't have over the top help? The goal would seem to be to disrupt the timing and keep containment? When I watch plays - especially sideline throws - we don't jam and the over-the top help seems to always be late...

Also, do t you jam if you blitz? I was thinking we don't jam b/c we drop back in coverage and don't full blitz too often?? But that seems counter intuitive as you'd think we'd have over the top help...maybe?
Just read the draft day comments around PET and staff regarding the drafting of Gilbert. All about the scheme with the Cover CB and how much it needs stud CB...we were counting on Haden and a stud Gilbert to make this work from the get go.

Now its being touted that Kwan Williams could very well be our best Cover Corner. Not so much as BAD scheme just sometimes things don't work out as planned.

jmho
Not so much as BAD scheme just sometimes things don't work out as planned.

jmho

And this is the part that concerns me most. We all know things don't work out as planned when injuries hit or players don't pan out. That happens all over the NFL.

I mean we all know when you have players like Bademosi on the field, you don't have a top notch cover corner out there. They have to realize they need to make adjustments when the personnel dictates. Certainly they should understand they need to adjust to have help over the top.

The fact that things don't work out as planned isn't the issue to me. It's how the coaching staff reacts to that situation that I find troubling.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

jmho

And this is the part that concerns me most. We all know things don't work out as planned when injuries hit or players don't pan out. That happens all over the NFL.

I mean we all know when you have players like Bademosi on the field, you don't have a top notch cover corner out there. They have to realize they need to make adjustments when the personnel dictates. Certainly they should understand they need to adjust to have help over the top.

The fact that things don't work out as planned isn't the issue to me. It's how the coaching staff reacts to that situation that I find troubling.

yea. thats about it.
Our zone is worse. . . and our prevent is worse than our zone. I hope press buys a few more steps for our sleds leaning on blockers while pass "rushing" in most situations. We will outcrop them, the scheme disguises it so it will be a big surprise when we spring it on them, and we probably drop Shelton into help coverage at strong safety. This wait and chase cushion crap is infuriating to me.

If you are going to lose, go down swinging, get your licks in. We aren't ambitious or eager to score, tackle, cover, or run hard. Thank Gawd we have stuck by our guns.

Anything to practice well, put on pretty new unis, and lose. So disappointed that this is all we could manage this year.
I have expressed some disatisfaction in those areas myself. I see it the most with the Defense. I have made no bones about it that this 2015 Browns teams was going to go as far as the Defense took us. I was not that worried with the offense as much as others. Most games we won and/or lost due to the Defense. I don't want change...but I would welcome the firing of our DC as I think he is in over his head.

jmho
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

jmho

This.
For me its 3 major issues.
1. Defense
2. Run Game
3. Coaches dont appear to know there is a difference between practice warriors and game day players.
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
1. Defense
2. Run Game
3. Coaches dont appear to know there is a difference between practice warriors and game day players.

#3 is a huge issue for this staff.

And Pettine is afraid to hurt people's feelings. He's afraid to hurt Bademosi's feelings because Bademosi is asking good questions in the film room and Gilbert is not. So Bademosi gets the start. It's so silly.
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
1. Defense
2. Run Game

#3 is a huge issue for this staff.

And Pettine is afraid to hurt people's feelings. He's afraid to hurt Bademosi's feelings because Bademosi is asking good questions in the film room and Gilbert is not. So Bademosi gets the start. It's so silly.

Are you saying that Bademosi or Gilbert is the practice warrior? Neither have played well in games.
I'd like to see my favorite player, Dwayne Bowe, Get more playing time. With all he has done for this team, dedication and hard work he deserves it. If we ever release him teams will be standing in line to sign him. thumbsup
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I vote "no" on that one.

I vote no on that too. I live in the same town you do, (Monrovia)
JH revisiting talks with the Schottenstiens to buy the team.
Originally Posted By: BpG
Fix the absolute garbage run game.

OH YEAH!!!!

That's mine too. We had a reasonable run game last year. Not great but something to build off of. We scored 16 rushing TD's. We have a very inexperienced Johnny playing QB. RUN THE DAMNED BALL! A carry here and there in between throwing it 45+ times a game is NOT developing a run game. I can't WAIT to see Johnny throw the ball 45 times in 0 degree weather with 40 MPH winds swirling around the stadium. That will be funny.

Flip isn't even TRYING to run the ball. It's like an after thought to this team.....
I have expressed some disatisfaction in those areas myself. I see it the most with the Defense. I have made no bones about it that this 2015 Browns teams was going to go as far as the Defense took us. I was not that worried with the offense as much as others. Most games we won and/or lost due to the Defense. I don't want change...but I would welcome the firing of our DC as I think he is in over his head.

jmho

Why would you not want change? You like how the team is playing? You think this is good football? What exactly has Pettine done to earn your undying devotion? Name ONE thing he does better than the next coach? Just ONE.

Are the Browns better prepared than our opponents? No
Is Pettine a better tactician than other coaches? No
Does he make better in game adjustments than other coaches? No
Is he a better teacher? Is he developing our young players better than other coaches do theirs? NO
Is he a better disciplinarian than other coaches? Do the Browns show good discipline when the play? HELL NO.

Man, I know you are a die hard homer and every coach we have is the greatest ever, but come on..... Not even you can think this dunderhead is a stud HC. He will NEVER be the reason we win. At best, if he hired the two best coordinators in the league, we might be able to win in spite of him. Problem is our coordinators aren't very good. Pettine was SUPPOSED to be a defensive guru. Unfortunately, our D flat out blows....

I want a HC that can change the losing nature of this franchise. Not just spout some inane platitude about "playing like Browns". I don't want us to play like Browns I want us to play like CHAMPIONS. Pettine will never be THAT coach.

Farmer has to go and Pettine as well. Total rebuild. I HATE that but another Farmer draft will KILL this team and another year of this lame ass NPD defense will kill ME. It will kill me liver! I HATE the NPD. 31 sacks last year SUCKED. I can almost guarantee we won't reach that number this year. 16 total so far with 6 games left. Not looking good. Pathetic.

I'm 53 years old and in poor health. If Haslam keeps hiring guys like Pettine and Farmer I won't live to see a playoff game let alone a SB birth.
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

jmho

Why would you not want change? You like how the team is playing? You think this is good football? What exactly has Pettine done to earn your undying devotion? Name ONE thing he does better than the next coach? Just ONE.

Are the Browns better prepared than our opponents? No
Is Pettine a better tactician than other coaches? No
Does he make better in game adjustments than other coaches? No
Is he a better teacher? Is he developing our young players better than other coaches do theirs? NO
Is he a better disciplinarian than other coaches? Do the Browns show good discipline when the play? HELL NO.

I'm 53 years old and in poor health. If Haslam keeps hiring guys like Pettine and Farmer I won't live to see a playoff game let alone a SB birth.

Largely agree. Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear your health is poor. Football is "just" a game as some say, but I certainly understand your passion to see the Browns will one before the end of your time here. Maybe if I myself were a younger man, I would be different.
Originally Posted By: berea

And you were there.
Originally Posted By: ddubia
Originally Posted By: berea

And you were there.

This would be the one thing I would like to see "corrected" or changed, as the thread title offers...
Put the Browns bench back on the south side of the stadium.
Why would you not want change? You like how the team is playing?

Ummm cause it worked so well (change) THE 6 TIMES BEFORE this would be 7.

I've said it before, Continuity is good and don't give me bunk about yeah but continuity of so n so is bad. No, Continuity of Football is good, don't mean you cannot make it better as per my opinion possibly the DC to change.

We have not tried continuity, we sure as heck have tried Change...why you like that result? Why would you expect a different result.

Stick with something and let it turn the corner!!! For ONCE!!!

And take that crap about LIKING us losing and stuff, Of course I don't like losing. I do like the good stuff I see and of course the bad I want eliminated.

I was pretty specific. I don't like losing. But you take good things and build on it. Just like many dynasties in the past. Get better, get better players. I like the way the team is playing better than the new REBUILDING PROJECT That will come along and then you will be making the same statement of Firing and rebooting again.

As for Old n poor health - got you beat unfortunately in both areas. We've tried the reboot...you like the way that has gone? Then why pretend that is the solution here?

jmho
I thought spirit was spot on with his points and I'm not a guy who likes to fire coaches all the time, however.... continuity means nothing if it's the same continuous crap. Not saying I want Pett fired, but he's running out of aces.
I like the idea of letting someone finish what he started. Everytime the Browns gave a HC 5 years we were in the playoffs.

Every time we rebooted after 2 years we were rebooting again after 2 years.

Continuity is the only hope. Rebooting is merely doing what we've been doing with no success.

Over the years since our return ALL those coaches can't be that bad. ALL those players can't be that untalented. To chose that many bad coaches and pick that many bad players over the years would almost have to have been the goal for it to turn out so wrong.

Let this Head Coach work his way through it. Let these players learn a scheme for once instead of pulling the rug out from under them before they get a chance to succeed.
And we suck at rebooting, even with all this experience.
Only the Browns can achieve a loss during a bye week.

I've said it before, Continuity is good and don't give me bunk about yeah but continuity of so n so is bad. No, Continuity of Football is good, don't mean you cannot make it better as per my opinion possibly the DC to change.

We have not tried continuity, we sure as heck have tried Change...why you like that result? Why would you expect a different result.

And take that crap about LIKING us losing and stuff, Of course I don't like losing. I do like the good stuff I see and of course the bad I want eliminated.

I was pretty specific. I don't like losing. But you take good things and build on it. Just like many dynasties in the past. Get better, get better players. I like the way the team is playing better than the new REBUILDING PROJECT That will come along and then you will be making the same statement of Firing and rebooting again.

As for Old n poor health - got you beat unfortunately in both areas. We've tried the reboot...you like the way that has gone? Then why pretend that is the solution here?

jmho

Fine. lets stick with Pettine and Farmer. They've EARNED it. I LOVE this defense. Really man. It's prefect. And Farmers drafts? Doesn't get any better. Gilbert is an asset, BIG TIME. He's won us a LOT of games sitting on the bench. Johnny? Want's not to like about Johnny Rehab? Then we have the fattest and slowest Nose on the planet and a back up O-lineman. I can sure see why you're hoping Farmer sticks around. With first round picks like that we'll be in fine shape come 2045.

I too hate the turnover, but man these guys suck. Sucking for five more years won't make them SUCK any less.

Pettine preached all off season about stopping the run. We draft Shelton so we can stop the run. Passing on any chance at a pass rush. So how did that work out EO? ALL the effort of last off season and the results are? LAST PLACE against the run. I seriously doubt we get 25 sacks. Zero pass rush and zero ability to stop the run. Oh yeah, give me five more years of this crap. Please. LMAO

Enough of this crap. Farmer is horrible at the draft. Horrible. Pettine is not a HC. Hell, he's not a DC if this defense is any indication....

You want Pettine to stay? Tell me ONE thing he's good at? Just one man.
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
Only the Browns can achieve a loss during a bye week.

Sad, but true. I don't see anything positive this week...
I LOVE this defense. Really man. It's prefect.

you didn't read a word I said. smh just pretend I said I loved this defense leave it at is...
Originally Posted By: ddubia
I like the idea of letting someone finish what he started. Everytime the Browns gave a HC 5 years we were in the playoffs.

Blasphemy!!

What is the worst thing that happens? Same thing that happens blowing it up after 2 years. In theory, we save money on 1 1/2 staff changes. That alone is at least one plus, and it pays the bill signing Dwayne Bowe, second plus.

Good, well, they simply may figure it out...out-of-the-boxing-thinking right there folks!!! "Stupid" doing the same thing again and again expecting different results. Where have I seen that before?!
Originally Posted By: bugs

Good, well, they simply may figure it out...out-of-the-boxing-thinking right there folks!!!

Well of course you need out of the boxing thinking.

This is FOOTBALL DAMN IT!
Originally Posted By: Spiritbro77

jmho

Fine. lets stick with Pettine and Farmer. They've EARNED it. I LOVE this defense. Really man. It's prefect. And Farmers drafts? Doesn't get any better. Gilbert is an asset, BIG TIME. He's won us a LOT of games sitting on the bench. Johnny? Want's not to like about Johnny Rehab? Then we have the fattest and slowest Nose on the planet and a back up O-lineman. I can sure see why you're hoping Farmer sticks around. With first round picks like that we'll be in fine shape come 2045.

LOL rofl
© DawgTalkers.net