DawgTalkers.net
Supreme Court upholds Ohio voter registration purge policy

-A lower court ruled that Ohio's policy violated the National Voter Registration Act.

-The Supreme Court decided 5-4, with liberal justices dissenting, to overturn the lower court ruling.

-The policy's opponents said Ohio's policy disproportionately impacted racial minorities and poor people who tend to back Democratic candidates.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/supreme-court-upholds-ohio-voter-registration-purge-policy.html

Step by .....well you know the rest.
I don't think that the 2 and 4 year policies are right. I could see if someone fails to vote in any election for 8 consecutive years ..... but this seems to be a rather short period of time, especially when some people (of all stripes) might move every couple of years. (apt. renters, especially)

I felt we had 2 awful choices in the last Presidential election. (I might have written in GM's name) wink If it weren't for idiotic local issues, I might have passed altogether. I bet that I wasn't the only one.

This is just one more Kasich thing I don't like. crazy I cannot believe that I voted for him in the Presidential primary. crazy
I really don't have a horse in this race but I try to post for you Ohio boys when I see something.

I have listened to your opinion on the subject and can only reply that I voted for Cruz here in Virginia.

But as is my usual style, I must reply...

It is now the Law of the Land and you will OBEY! thumbsup
Dumb ruling. But obviously the conservatives support it. The only amendment they ever seem to care about is the 2nd. Apparently all the other amendments don’t matter as much.
You will Obey.
"We have no authority to second-guess Congress or to decide whether Ohio’s Supplemental Process is the ideal method for keeping its voting rolls up to date. The only question before us is whether it violates federal law. It does not."

Simple and exactly how our SCOTUS should rule. It's not a violation of federal law...so they are done with it. The liberal justices' insistence on legislating from the bench is disgusting...whether the state law is "right" or "fair" is NOT for the SCOTUS to rule on.
Quote:
It's not a violation of federal law...so they are done with it. The liberal justices' insistence on legislating from the bench is disgusting...whether the state law is "right" or "fair" is NOT for the SCOTUS to rule on.
You are 100% correct. I think this gets lost on a lot of people. Frankly, I think 2 presidential cycles would be fair (8 years) before they are removed. But like the SC said, that's up to congress....
Yep.

But that ain't near as much fun as yelling "You Must Obey".
I don't know to me I'd care more that they show proof of citizenship both to the state and to the country. I know people who are residents of multiple states and have voted in both and did so legally which is just stupid.

1 person 1 vote and only US citizens should vote. I don't think it's unfair to ask that at all.
Originally Posted By: Razorthorns
I don't know to me I'd care more that they show proof of citizenship both to the state and to the country. I know people who are residents of multiple states and have voted in both and did so legally which is just stupid.

1 person 1 vote and only US citizens should vote. I don't think it's unfair to ask that at all.

Despite what Kim's new best buddy says, being registered to vote in two states is not illegal... but voting twice in the same election is illegal and considered a felony that vary in degree, depending on the state...
Quote:
Despite what Kim's new best buddy says
You seem pretty sour that President Trump is meeting with Kim....is because you are worried that something great for the world might happen under his watch? Do really hate that much? Because quite honestly, its disgusting.
For those of you who want to actually know what happened:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/06/the-supreme-court-blesses-voter-purges/562589/

POLITICS
The Supreme Court Blesses Voter Purges
A 5–4 decision gives the green light for states to use aggressive methods to remove voters from the rolls, a process that disproportionately affects minority communities.

GARRETT EPPS
6:00 AM ET

JONATHAN ERNST / REUTERS
“The dissents have a policy disagreement, not just with Ohio, but with Congress,” Justice Samuel Alito primly pronounced Monday in his majority opinion in Husted v. A. Philip Randolph Institute, the Ohio “voter purge” case. “But this case presents a question of statutory interpretation, not a question of policy.”

Whenever a court claims to be engaged in policy-free statutory interpretation, check your wallet. Sometimes the claim is true; but more often than not, somebody’s getting robbed.

Alito, writing for a five-justice majority, resolved a seeming conflict among provisions of federal voting law by concluding that the aggressive procedure Ohio (under the leadership of a conservative Republican secretary of state, Jon A. Husted) adopted to purge its voter rolls of supposedly ineligible voters, does not violate federal statutes. (He was joined by the other four conservatives—Chief Justice John Roberts and Justices Anthony Kennedy, Clarence Thomas, and Neil Gorsuch; Justice Thomas wrote separately to suggest that voting-rights legislation in general is unconstitutional. Justice Stephen Breyer dissented for himself and the three moderate liberals—Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Elena Kagan, and Sonia Sotomayor. Sotomayor also wrote a short solo dissent.)

The statutes at issue are the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 (NVRA) and the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA). The text of the statutes offers a conflict between two values: first, the right of every eligible citizen to vote without unreasonable or discriminatory state obstacles, and, second, the need for accurate voter rolls “purged” of those who have died, lost the right to vote by criminal conviction, or moved away. No matter how that conflict is resolved, policy is in the house.

MORE STORIES
A view from the outside of Attica Correctional Facility in New York
The Prison Mental-Health Crisis, Viewed From the Inside
DAVID A. GRAHAM

Congress May Declare the Forever War
CONOR FRIEDERSDORF

What One Professor’s Case for Hating Men Missed
CONOR FRIEDERSDORF

The Atlantic Politics & Policy Daily: Cogito, Ergo Summit
TAYLOR HOSKING LENA FELTON
Ohio adopted a means of “purging” that, from the available evidence, leans sharply in the direction of voter-removal and gives less weight to the danger of inaccurate purging. The predictable result is that many Ohioans who should vote will not be allowed to; the other equally predictable result is that a disproportionate number of them will be poor or members of minority communities. The third predictable result is that disfranchisement of those voters will aid the Republican Party and disadvantage their opposition, the Democrats.

But of course Alito cares naught for that; he is—remember—engaged in value-free textual interpretation, you see. You got a policy beef, hoss, take it up with Congress.

The problem with that claim is that—as the two dissents point out—Congress has stated the policy it would prefer in the application of twin federal statutes at issue in Husted. Section 2 of the first of them, the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, in fact includes a long section on “findings and purposes,” which says, in part, that the act is designed to “increase the number of eligible citizens who register to vote” and enable voting officials at every level to enhance “the participation of eligible citizens as voters in elections for federal office.” The “purposes” section also provides that the act should “protect the integrity of the electoral process” and “ensure that accurate and current voter registration rolls are maintained.”

These purposes require officials, and reviewing courts, to strike a balance. Too much leniency could lead to inaccurate rolls. Too much security could strip the franchise from eligible citizens.

To Alito and the majority, the postcard-return method is a kind of Goldilocks compromise. The dissent argued that it violates not only the purposes but the very text of the statute.

Here’s how the Ohio system works. If a voter misses a federal election, the voter is flagged as possibly having moved. The state then sends a postcard asking the voter to return it if he or she is still eligible at the old address. If the voter returns the card, that’s it. But if not, the name stays flagged—and if the voter then does not vote in either of the next two federal elections, the voter’s name is purged.

Not only common sense but statistical surveys show that most people who receive such governmental postcards don’t return them—either because they don’t understand the legalese they bear, or because they mean to and forget, or because they just lose the card. In his dissent, Breyer cited figures showing that, in 2012, Ohio sent roughly 1.5 million postcards—and got back only about 235,000 replies. Justice Breyer’s dissent notes that Ohio’s system in 2012 used the combined failure to vote and the failure to return a postcard to begin the “purge” process for more than 1 million voters. If not returning a postcard meant the voter has moved, this suggests that nearly 13 percent of Ohio’s population had moved in the previous two years. But, he noted, “the streets of Ohio’s cities are not filled with moving vans.” In fact, it seems likely that at most a third of that number had actually moved, he said.

The policy argument to one side, the case also turned on another part of the text of the two statutes. The NVRA, as Alito noted, does allow the use of returnable postcards as a means of finding voters who have moved or died. That seems to come with a condition, though: The postcard method, it says, may be used when the state learns of “change-of-address information supplied by the Postal Service.” It can then use the postcards and wait through two cycles before purging. The majority read that simply as an example. Thus the states can also begin the purge process without any reason to suspect a change of address—that is, only because an individual has failed to vote.

And there’s the textual rub. The NVRA says that state programs “shall not result in the removal of the name of any person from the official list … by reason of the person’s failure to vote.” And the HAVA says that no voter can be removed “solely by reason of a failure to vote.”

The majority said that Ohio’s system doesn’t remove a voter “solely” for not voting; instead, the removal is for not voting and then for not answering the postcard. Breyer’s dissent argued that procedure clearly violates the text. If a voter has already filed a change of address, the postcard method, the monitoring of the vote for two elections, and the eventual purge are caused by the address information, not by failure to vote alone. If Ohio sends the postcard any time a voter doesn’t vote, however, then the postcard just verifies that the voter hasn’t voted—and not voting can’t be the reason for a purge.

In other words, if you don’t vote, and don’t answer when the state says, “Hey, you didn’t vote!” is not answering a separate cause for removal—or just part of not voting?

I grant you this is a hard textual question—which is precisely why, if I were a judge, I would draw on the “purposes” of the statute. Breyer’s opinion argued that failure to vote is only very slight evidence of having moved—people stay away from the polls for many reasons, including disgust with the often-disgusting choices. And failure to answer a postcard, he argued, “has no tendency to reveal accurately whether the registered voter has changed residences.” Thus, the only cause is the failure to vote: “Nothing plus one is still one.”

After Breyer’s textual exegesis, it fell to Justice Sonia Sotomayor to point out that the decision will have predictable real-world consequences: “Congress enacted the NVRA against the backdrop of substantial efforts by states to disenfranchise low-income and minority voters, including programs that purged eligible voters from registration lists because they failed to vote in prior elections.” The majority opinion, she wrote, “entirely ignores the history of voter suppression against which the NVRA was enacted and upholds a program that appears to further the very disenfranchisement of minority and low-income voters that Congress set out to eradicate.”

The implication—which, given the state of American politics in 2018, is hardly outlandish—is that the Ohio system will hit these voters hardest because, well, that’s what it was designed to do. And the twin statutes at issue, Sotomayor noted, forbid “discriminatory” applications of their provisions.

As voting-rights guru Rick Hasen pointed out immediately after the decision, Alito didn’t really answer this charge; instead, he wrote that the challengers had not relied on that argument, and that Sotomayor did not “point to any evidence in the record that Ohio instituted or has carried out its program with discriminatory intent.” Sotomayor’s dissent, Hasen noted, seemed designed to provide a roadmap for challengers who will be able to provide such evidence.

Monday’s decision will certainly spur an escalation in the war on the right to vote. That war is being waged largely in red states. The federal government, now under Republican control, has joined the battle as well. Though the Obama administration joined the plaintiffs in opposing Ohio’s system, it reversed its position when Trump took office.

Future skirmishes in the war will be refereed by this Court, whose majority has made its leanings clear.
Originally Posted By: Swish
Dumb ruling. But obviously the conservatives support it. The only amendment they ever seem to care about is the 2nd. Apparently all the other amendments don’t matter as much.

Can you explain to me why Democrats are all hysterical about Russia cheating in our elections but don't care about a honest election here? Dems are all for illegals voting.
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

Can you explain to me why Democrats are all hysterical about Russia cheating in our elections but don't care about a honest election here? Dems are all for illegals voting.

I know that this is an often used phrase, but...
Quote:
Better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

still pushing the fake narrative of all these illegals voting, i see. the more you post, the worse you look.
Why don't the Democrats want an honest election where voters are purged when they didn't vote in two federal elections and fail to return a postcard the government sent them?

still pushing the fake narrative of all these illegals voting, i see. the more you post, the worse you look.

I would be very worried if I looked good to the Liberal PC crowd.

You didn't answer my question. Don't you want honest elections.
Originally Posted By: willitevachange
Quote:
Despite what Kim's new best buddy says
You seem pretty sour that President Trump is meeting with Kim....is because you are worried that something great for the world might happen under his watch? Do really hate that much? Because quite honestly, its disgusting.

Honestly, your responsibility for putting a bumbling liar in the white house is what I hate and consider disgusting... I would say more but it would be off topic for this thread...
Because it’s a stupid question to even ask. And knowing you, it’s a trap.
Originally Posted By: CHSDawg
Why don't the Democrats want an honest election where voters are purged when they didn't vote in two federal elections and fail to return a postcard the government sent them?

You will have to ask the Democrats on that one if you can get them to look up from their blood drinking and animal sacrifices.
Good.

Sure its a trap. If you're against the Russians interfering you can't be for Illegals and dead Democrats voting.

Sure its a trap. If you're against the Russians interfering you can't be for Illegals and dead Democrats voting.

Which was a false narrative pushed by trump and backed by his supporters.

Oh, look.
Quote:

Honestly, your responsibility for putting a bumbling liar in the white house is what I hate and consider disgusting... I would say more but it would be off topic for this thread...
All over politics....disgusting. I feel sorry for anyone that knows you personally, it must really be a drag to walk around filled with so much animosity and hate. Have an ice cream cone or something...get a coke and smile smile
I'm rather surprised you're advising someone to use coke.
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
superconfused
JC....I have no issues with this, as long as a list of all the names they remove from the rolls are public record. And all those removed from the rolls should all be notified at their last known address. They should also be able to re-register on election day at the polls with a photo identification.

If not this is just another way the GOP in Ohio goes about gerrymandering once again.
Exactly my opinion.
Do it right... and for the right reason.
superconfused

Sorry you didn't catch the satire. It was a joke.
superconfused

Sorry you didn't catch the satire. It was a joke.
no need to apologize, admittedly it went right over my head, I missed what you meant thumbsup
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine will stop at nothing to become Ohio's next governor in 5 months.

If I was smart, I'd keep my mouth shut.

But that ferry left the dock.
I agree with both you and perfect. I have no problems with making sure voters are legal voters. I believe as citizens we have a certain obligation to meet our duties as citizens. Voting and having proper identification is a bare minimum that should be asked of all citizens. I mean if you can't be bothered to fill out some very minor paperwork to ensure you can vote then in my opinion you don't deserve to.

Now if they go making things cost money that could make it too expensive to vote then I would be dead set against that because poor or rich you should have the same access to voting.
No policy or court ruling should take away an Ohio citizen's right to vote. Politically convenient. This can be changed. Rigging elections with this and gerrymandering. Husted was way too happy with depriving folks of this right.
Voting isn't just a right, it is a responsibility.

Along with that a person needs to maintain that right and show some responsibility.

End of story.
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Along with that a person needs to maintain that right and show some responsibility.

End of story.
Agreed, you have 2-4 years each cycle to get registered to vote, if you cannot do that before the day of the election - you are not responsible to cast one.

End of story.
Agreed, you have 2-4 years each cycle to get registered to vote, if you cannot do that before the day of the election - you are not responsible to cast one.

lol these posts are rich coming from the 2nd amendment crowd.

End of story.

So you don't think, that if you can make to the booth that day of the election, you couldn't in 712 days fine another hour to take to register before hand?

End of story.

So you don't think, that if you can make to the booth that day of the election, you couldn't in 712 days fine another hour to take to register before hand?

Do you know how purges work? You don't get notified when you have been purged from the voting rolls. In fact, the way they purge you from the roll is by sending you a postcard that you must send in to not be purged?

Your idea sounds fine and dandy in la la land where marshmallows grow on trees, but is completely devoid of reality.

If people don't own a gun for a prolonged period of time, should they be forced to give up their 2nd amendment rights?

Rights are not responsibility nor are they privileges. They are rights.

End of story.

Do you know how purges work? You don't get notified when you have been purged from the voting rolls. In fact, the way they purge you from the roll is by sending you a postcard that you must send in to not be purged?

Your idea sounds fine and dandy in la la land where marshmallows grow on trees, but is completely devoid of reality.

If people don't own a gun for a prolonged period of time, should they be forced to give up their 2nd amendment rights?

First, I never said I didn't agree they should be notified of being purged....so your ASSumptions, are well....off.

Secondly, there are multiple reasons people are forced to give up their second amendment rights, to imply that there are none, is disingenuous.

You also completely deflected my question, with another question, please feel free to answer it anytime
Quote:

So...you don't get notified, but you get a postcard of notification. Talk about a comment being "rich".

Quote:

My right to 'bear arms' requires me to have a concealed carry permit. I have to take a class and qualify to get one...AND...I have to re-new my license every five years. Every time I buy a firearm, I get a background check...every single time.

Quote:

No ones' right to vote is being taken away. The Ohio law applies to both conservative and liberal voters.
Quote:

Obviously, you don't know what your talking about. Besides any citizen should be able to register to vote at the polls on voting day with proper identification. Many states already allow registration at the polls on voting day. Many of the GOP leadership in Ohio want to legally make it harder for citizens to vote. It's all the GOP has these days. Gerrymandering and to help eliminate the opposition from voting.

I have no problem with making sure voters are legal and show identification. But to systematically target opposition votes by removing registered voters in Ohio from the rolls with no way to re-register on voting day is unconstitutional. Ohio needs to have voting registration on voting day at all poles now. If not this is a obvious unconstitutional law awarded to the Ohio GOP leadership by the SC.
Originally Posted By: PerfectSpiral
Quote:

Obviously, you don't know what your talking about. Besides any citizen should be able to register to vote at the polls on voting day with proper identification. Many states already allow registration at the polls on voting day. Many of the GOP leadership in Ohio want to legally make it harder for citizens to vote. It's all the GOP has these days. Gerrymandering and to help eliminate the opposition from voting.

I have no problem with making sure voters are legal and show identification. But to systematically target opposition votes by removing registered voters in Ohio from the rolls with no way to re-register on voting day is unconstitutional. Ohio needs to have voting registration on voting day at all polls now. If not this is a obvious unconstitutional law awarded to the Ohio GOP leadership by the SC.
hmmm, didn't they just vote it was ......
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Quote:

So...you don't get notified, but you get a postcard of notification. Talk about a comment being "rich".

You sending back the postcard is what keeps you on a voting roll. The postcard is not what notifies that you have been purged, because their is no notification. Read an article.

Quote:
Quote:

My right to 'bear arms' requires me to have a concealed carry permit. I have to take a class and qualify to get one...AND...I have to re-new my license every five years. Every time I buy a firearm, I get a background check...every single time.

lol no it doesn't and no you don't. You carrying a concealed weapon is why you need to get a license to carry a concealed weapon. Novel concept, I know.

Quote:

Quote:

No ones' right to vote is being taken away. The Ohio law applies to both conservative and liberal voters.

Voting rights are taken away when you're an eligible voter who cannot exercise that right because you've been purged from a voting roll.
Quote:

I have no problem with making sure voters are legal and show identification. But to systematically target opposition votes by removing registered voters in Ohio from the rolls with no way to re-register on voting day is unconstitutional. Ohio needs to have voting registration on voting day at all polls now. If not this is a obvious unconstitutional law awarded to the Ohio GOP leadership by the SC.

What are you blabbering about now? notallthere
Sorry that your assumption was so off point, that I assumed you knew what you were talking about. I will try to not let it happen again.

Yes, people are often forced to give up their constitutional rights due to a punishment, not because they did not exercise their right.

I will not be answering your hypothetical question, because it has no basis in reality. If you want to rephrase your question to make it applicable to the situation at hand, then I will answer your question.
Quote:

What are you blabbering about now? notallthere

He's saying that since the Court ruled that it was Constitutional then that makes it Constitutional. Like Slavery and internment camps, all things the Supreme Court has deemed constitutional.
Quote:
I will not be answering your hypothetical question
that would be because you do not have 1 logical response for it. if you can make it to the booth to vote on the day of election, you can take an hour to register in the 711 days before said election.
Quote:
that would be because you do not have 1 logical response for it. if you can make it to the booth to vote on the day of election, you can take an hour to register in the 711 days before said election.

Your question is so nonsensically based that not only does it reject logic, it doesn't even know what it is. The 2 year period, the focus on fall elections, and the idea you can register to vote the day of, are all your crazy ideas that are no where near the case. Now you want me to do psychoanalyze a nonvoter in your dystopia? That's YOUR job.

I will destroy you with 1 logic tho.
How are you supposed to register to vote when you didn't realize you were purged from the voter registration?
I have to be responsible when exercising my second amendment right...I don't get to do whatever I please without consequences. Same with my first amendment rights. Being responsible with your right to vote makes sense as well.

A postcard IS notification. You are building your case on the off chance that someone - who hasn't voted in years - gets his postcard in the morning on his way to the polls and loses the right to vote THAT DAY. Ridiculous.

Do you get a postcard when your driver's license is about to expire? Do you get a postcard when the speed limit changes on the road you are on? Do you get a postcard telling you your password has expired? Do you get a postcard telling you NOT to stick your finger in an electrical outlet?
Yes, people are often forced to give up their constitutional rights due to a punishment, not because they did not exercise their right.

No one is being forced to give up their right to vote.
I have to be responsible when exercising my second amendment right...I don't get to do whatever I please without consequences. Same with my first amendment rights. Being responsible with your right to vote makes sense as well.

Yes, and not exercising your right doesn't mean you forfeit your right. It's not a hard concept.

Quote:

A postcard IS notification. You are building your case on the off chance that someone - who hasn't voted in years - gets his postcard in the morning on his way to the polls and loses the right to vote THAT DAY. Ridiculous.

Facts? I'm sure you'll have a fun time proving that lie. Maybe if you read an article you'd know what you're talking about.

Quote:

Do you get a postcard when your driver's license is about to expire? Do you get a postcard when the speed limit changes on the road you are on? Do you get a postcard telling you your password has expired? Do you get a postcard telling you NOT to stick your finger in an electrical outlet?

You should probably get a postcard telling you how to read a dang article lmfao.

No one is being forced to give up their right to vote.

"No one is forced to give up their right to vote, they're just being forced to give up their right to vote in that election. See? Completely different."
From the article:

"Here’s how the Ohio system works. If a voter misses a federal election, the voter is flagged as possibly having moved. The state then sends a postcard asking the voter to return it if he or she is still eligible at the old address. If the voter returns the card, that’s it. But if not, the name stays flagged—and if the voter then does not vote in either of the next two federal elections, the voter’s name is purged."

No one's right is being taken away.
Quote:

Your question is so nonsensically based that not only does it reject logic, it doesn't even know what it is. The 2 year period, the focus on fall elections, and the idea you can register to vote the day of, are all your crazy ideas that are no where near the case. Now you want me to do psychoanalyze a nonvoter in your dystopia? That's YOUR job.

How are you supposed to register to vote when you didn't realize you were purged from the voter registration?

Quote:

You already answered your question. They are notified BY POSTCARD they are going to be purged, and can reply to keep that from happening. Keyword NOTIFIED. Weird, I don't feel "destroyed"....I feel rather the same, indifferent to your ramblings.
I also find it funny you tried to blast me for using a hypothetical scenario, yet your entire argument is hypothetical in that NO one has had their rights taken away, is the SC ruled it was constitutional. Your entire argument is hypothetical. rofl
Quote:

Quote:

You already answered your question. They are notified BY POSTCARD they are going to be purged, and can reply to keep that from happening. Keyword NOTIFIED. Weird, I don't feel "destroyed"....I feel rather the same, indifferent to your ramblings.

The postcard notifies them that that they will be purged if they do not forward the postcard back or they do not vote in the next 2 years. It does not notify them that they have been purged. Completely different things. The postcard is not notification withinitself, because federal law makes it illegal to solely purge voting rolls because they did not vote. The postcard is the workaround here and again, notifies you that you can be purged, but is not notification itself. It's not a hard concept to understand.

And to think that this law hasn't effected anyone is hysterical. Here is just part of Breyer's dissent about it. Please focus on the facts at the end of the quote.
Quote:

In sum, §6(d), just like §§8(a) and 8(c), indicates that the
State, as an initial matter, must use a reasonable method
to identify a person who has likely moved and then must
send that person a confirmatory notice that will in effect
give him a “last chance” to remain on the rolls. And these
provisions thus tend to deny, not to support, the majority’s
suggestion that somehow sending a “last chance” notice is
itself a way (other than nonvoting) to identify someone
who has likely moved.
I concede that some individuals who have, in fact,
moved do, in fact, send a return card back to the State
making clear that they have moved. And some registrants
do send back a card saying that they have not moved.
Thus, the Confirmation Procedure will sometimes help
provide confirmation of what the initial identification
procedure is supposed to accomplish: finding registrants
12 HUSTED v. A. PHILIP RANDOLPH INSTITUTE
BREYER, J., dissenting
who have probably moved. But more often than not, the
State fails to receive anything back from the registrant,
and the fact that the State hears nothing from the registrant
essentially proves nothing at all.
Anyone who doubts this last statement need simply
consult figures in the record along with a few generally
available statistics. As a general matter, the problem
these numbers reveal is as follows: Very few registered
voters move outside of their county of registration. But
many registered voters fail to vote. Most registered voters
who fail to vote also fail to respond to the State’s “last
chance” notice. And the number of registered voters who
both fail to vote and fail to respond to the “last chance”
notice exceeds the number of registered voters who move
outside of their county each year.
Consider the following facts. First, Ohio tells us that a
small number of Americans—about 4% of all Americans—
move outside of their county each year. Record 376. (The
majority suggests the relevant number is 10%, ante, at 2,
but that includes people who move within their county.)
At the same time, a large number of American voters fail
to vote, and Ohio voters are no exception. In 2014, around
59% of Ohio’s registered voters failed to vote. See Brief for
League of Women Voters et al. as Amici Curiae 16, and
n. 12 (citing Ohio Secretary of State, 2014 Official Election
Results).
Although many registrants fail to vote and only a small
number move, under the Supplemental Process, Ohio uses
a registrant’s failure to vote to identify that registrant as a
person whose address has likely changed. The record
shows that in 2012 Ohio identified about 1.5 million registered
voters—nearly 20% of its 8 million registered voters—as
likely ineligible to remain on the federal voter roll
because they changed their residences. Record 475. Ohio
then sent those 1.5 million registered voters subsubsection
(d) “last chance” confirmation notices. In response to
Cite as: 584 U. S. ____ (2018) 13
BREYER, J., dissenting
those 1.5 million notices, Ohio only received back about
60,000 return cards (or 4%) which said, in effect, “You are
right, Ohio. I have, in fact, moved.” Ibid. In addition,
Ohio received back about 235,000 return cards which said,
in effect, “You are wrong, Ohio, I have not moved.” In the
end, however, there were more than 1,000,000 notices—the
vast majority of notices sent—to which Ohio received back
no return card at all. Ibid.
What about those registered voters—more than 1 million
strong—who did not send back their return cards? Is
there any reason at all (other than their failure to vote) to
think they moved? The answer to this question must be
no. There is no reason at all. First, those 1 million or so
voters accounted for about 13% of Ohio’s voting population.
So if those 1 million or so registered voters (or even
half of them) had, in fact, moved, then vastly more people
must move each year in Ohio than is generally true of the
roughly 4% of all Americans who move to a different county
nationwide (not all of whom are registered voters). See
Id., at 376. But there is no reason to think this. Ohio
offers no such reason. And the streets of Ohio’s cities are
not filled with moving vans; nor has Cleveland become the
Nation’s residential moving companies’ headquarters.
Thus, I think it fair to assume (because of the human
tendency not to send back cards received in the mail,
confirmed strongly by the actual numbers in this record)
the following: In respect to change of residence, the failure
of more than 1 million Ohio voters to respond to forwardable
notices (the vast majority of those sent) shows nothing
at all that is statutorily significant
j\c Why do liberals insist on illegal voters voting ?
Quote:
The postcard notifies them that that they will be purged if they do not forward the postcard back or they do not vote in the next 2 years.

Quote:
The postcard is not notification withinitself

You are really trying to play semantics. You are sying they are notified, but they are notified at the same time.

The entire quote you put up's logic behind their objection to the ruling is that "well most people don't read their mail"

Quote:
Most registered voters
who fail to vote also fail to respond to the State’s “last
chance” notice. And the number of registered voters who
both fail to vote and fail to respond to the “last chance”
notice exceeds the number of registered voters who move
outside of their county each year.

God forbid anyone be held responsible for their own actions or lack thereof.....
Forget it WSU. This crowd doesn't believe in personal responsibility. Just read the posts some of these people make.
Quote:
"Here’s how the Ohio system works. If a voter misses a federal election, the voter is flagged as possibly having moved. The state then sends a postcard asking the voter to return it if he or she is still eligible at the old address. If the voter returns the card, that’s it. But if not, the name stays flagged—and if the voter then does not vote in either of the next two federal elections, the voter’s name is purged."

Yes it is. What if a registered voter moves to another place in Ohio and the USPS screws up, like they are well known to do. The registered voter just unknowingly lost his voting rights. And now they won't be able to vote and cannot register on voting day.

Unconstitutional!

People do have a right not to vote in some elections and not loose their voting rights. Ohio GOP leaders are opening themselves to possible litigation on this.
It is remarkable and frightening that a Supreme Court justice would actually put in writing that essentially the law should be considered unconstitutional because some people are too "fill-in-the-blank" to follow the law. Basically, forget what the darn law actually says and interpret it as the current judge "wants" it to be. Never mind the process of how laws become laws or how laws get changed.

Our entire way of life in the country to set-up to NOT allow the current ruler, judge or legislator to make the laws of the land based on what THEY want or what THEY think is "fair". Efforts to undermine that way of life will be Obama's legacy for as long as his liberal appointees will continue to write opinions based on their feelings and sense of fairness over opining on the law as written and passed by Congress and the POTUS.
Quote:

Yes it is. What if a registered voter moves to another place in Ohio and the USPS screws up, like they are well known to do. The registered voter just unknowingly lost his voting rights. And now they won't be able to vote and cannot register on voting day.

Unconstitutional!

People do have a right not to vote in some elections and not loose their voting rights. Ohio GOP leaders are opening themselves to possible litigation on this.

That's quite the hypothetical instance there. Could happen for sure. However, the law "considers" that maintaining the integrity of the vote across the state is more important than a hypothetical situation that just might maybe happen and prevents a person from voting in that election. That's a mistake made by a human...not the forced sacrifice of one's right to vote.

Why is this a R vs D issue in your mind? Both R's & D's change addresses at times...both are subject to USPS screw-ups. This notion that this is a ploy by the GOP to eliminate D's voting rights is silliness.
If you move you have to update your drivers license, credit cards, etc...

Updating your Voting Registration is no different.
Quote:

Unconstitutional!

That's quite the hypothetical instance there. Could happen for sure. However, the law "considers" that maintaining the integrity of the vote across the state is more important than a hypothetical situation that just might maybe happen and prevents a person from voting in that election. That's a mistake made by a human...not the forced sacrifice of one's right to vote.

Why is this a R vs D issue in your mind? Both R's & D's change addresses at times...both are subject to USPS screw-ups. This notion that this is a ploy by the GOP to eliminate D's voting rights is silliness.
Maybe, idk JUST MAYBE said person could be a little more responsible and not blame other people for their problems......they are not the victim. When i moved to another state, one of the first things i did was register to vote....hmmmmmmmmm
Originally Posted By: 40YEARSWAITING
If you move you have to update your drivers license, credit cards, etc...

Updating your Voting Registration is no different.
But,...but....but you cant expect personal responsibility, that would be .....unconstitutional rofl
Hey Hey
Learn to Obey!
Quote:
What if a registered voter moves to another place in Ohio and the USPS screws up, like they are well known to do. The registered voter just unknowingly lost his voting rights.

What if they don't change their drivers license or vehicle registration, switch over their electric service, register their kids in new schools, arrange for trash pick-up, alert their bank, or update their Facebook status? Any of those could be catastrophic and cause them to miss out...

And I will add.. it's not "unknowingly".. it's a law, ignorance of the rules and laws does not grant you exemption from following the rules and laws. What if they unknowingly went 60 mph through a neighborhood because some vandal tore the speed limit sign down?
Quote:

It's called a change of address form. It tells the government where you live when you move so things like mail can be delivered to you. It also notifies you to reregister to vote from your new location.

If you're too stupid or too lazy to do something so basic then your too dumb to vote IMHO.

If your address is current then you will get your postcard and be notified.

The penalty under law for being too lazy and stupid to submit a change of address when you move is that you might miss out on an elections. Still chances are that if your too lazy and stupid to do even that much then you probably don't vote anyways.

That being said, if your denied at the polls then I have no problem with the courthouse being open to get you reregistered with proper documentation. Then again lazy and stupid people would probably choose to just not vote if they have to do that so .... win, win wink
Quote:
That being said, if your denied at the polls then I have no problem with the courthouse being open to get you reregistered with proper documentation. Then again lazy and stupid people would probably choose to just not vote if they have to do that so .... win, win wink
Im fine with that idea, for a day of solution. I bet I know who would not be....
Yeah I mean the first election they implement it there will be a fuss here and there but after that I think most won't even care to be honest.
Quote:

Unconstitutional!

Your logic is undeniable... well, except for the fact that in your scenario if Joe Six Pack moves to somewhere else in Ohio and did not update his info, he wouldn't be able to vote either because he wouldn't be registered in those voting districts.
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Quote:

Unconstitutional!

Your logic is undeniable... well, except for the fact that in your scenario if Joe Six Pack moves to somewhere else in Ohio and did not update his info, he wouldn't be able to vote either because he wouldn't be registered in those voting districts.

What if I miss an election, get my card in the mail, return it as I'm supposed to, remain eligible to vote in that district.. then right before the election, I move and register in my new district.. and since they are very slow to keep up with these things, then I could be registered and vote in two districts for the same election...
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847
Quote:

Unconstitutional!

What if I miss an election, get my card in the mail, return it as I'm supposed to, remain eligible to vote in that district.. then right before the election, I move and register in my new district.. and since they are very slow to keep up with these things, then I could be registered and vote in two districts for the same election...

And then you'd be guilty of voter fraud. I have know idea what the mechanism to audit such things is though
Quote:

Unconstitutional!

When you move you need to register in the district to which you moved.

You just throwing stuff out to throw stuff out.

Like I said before, people need to take some responsibility.

Millions of people mover every year, and millions of people go to the election board and register to vote.

I bet some of these people you are talking about close out bank accounts and start a new one somewhere else.

Why is it you are against people taking some responsibility like most others do?

Do you think of them as dumb, ignorant, lazy, or they shouldn't have to because they are special?

Seriously man, I don't get it. Oh, it is legal. The Supremes just said so.
Quote:
When you move you need to register in the district to which you moved.

Good point. But mistakes happen and people do move within the same district. You're right, people need to take responsibility to make sure they're registered. We're all human and we all forget the details from time to time. Still people should be able to register at the polls on voting day with proper identification and proof of residency.
That just makes too much sense and some think that would be too easy. We can't let that happen.
That just makes too much sense and some think that would be too easy. We can't let that happen.

I don't think that, though voting day might be a little late. Vote in one, then "move" to another to vote there.

Even if you stay in the same precinct, and move, you need to update your information. It's the same with the right to drive, get your mail, etc.

It isn't that hard. Ignorance of the law is no defense. The same with the rules of citizenship.

I don't think that, though voting day might be a little late. Vote in one, then "move" to another to vote there.

Even if you stay in the same precinct, and move, you need to update your information. It's the same with the right to drive, get your mail, etc.

It isn't that hard. Ignorance of the law is no defense. The same with the rules of citizenship.

It's not hard at all. I moved last year, after updating my address with the post office, the next question was "do you want to update your voter registration"
© DawgTalkers.net