DawgTalkers.net
Posted By: Mourgrym Receiving options? - 08/27/17 04:16 AM
Other than Coleman who has been reborn under al saunders we dont have a #2. I was wrong about Britt, I thought coming off of the year he had he would want even more but he was and is making business decisions out there. I would not hesitate to cut him at this point.

We dont have a 2. We dont have a 3 and I dont honestly know if we have a #4 receiver. We have a bunch of project 5th and 6th guys with Duke pretending to be a slot.

Njoku is a year away and Telfar doesnt know to sit in a zone and run through man. easily confused there. Devalve can catch but he cant block to save his life.

We need options and right now, there arent many.

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 08:09 AM
i'm very rarely correct, especially about football stuff ... but man, I NEVER had a good feeling about signing Britt (and I still could be wrong about him). I always thought he was going to be a bust here, and thus far he certainly looks to be content after making his big payday.

I wouldn't care if we cut him either. Don't be financially strapped to someone who isn't better than Payton, Higgins, Mullaney, or whoever.
Posted By: 1oldMutt Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 11:44 AM
Didn't see the game tonight.
I'm thinking/hoping that as we near crunch time and teams must make some tough cuts that somebody shakes free that will be of use to us.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 01:16 PM
I wouldn't write off Kenny Britt just yet. I think this guy could be a very nice redzone target this year due to his size/frame. I don't think he's going to be the #1 target or anything but I wouldn't count him out after a dropped pass in the rain and a unnecessary roughness call last night.
Posted By: Dave Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 01:31 PM
I posted this earlier this week in the "Available Players" thread in PF, but it could fit here:

Quote:
Anybody know about this guy? Should the Browns be interested?

Talk in Jacksonville that Jaguars may look to trade Allen Hurns

PFT
by Michael David Smith
August 23, 2017

A year ago, the Jaguars were so high on wide receiver Allen Hurns that they signed him to a four-year, $40 million contract extension. This year, the team’s view of Hurns appears to have changed.

There’s talk in Jacksonville that Hurns could be traded, with Jaguars beat writer Ryan O’Hallaran guessing that’s what the team wants to do.

An undrafted rookie in 2014, Hurns had a breakout season in 2015, catching 64 passes for 1,031 yards and 10 touchdowns. But last year his production declined significantly, and new Jaguars boss Tom Coughlin may think the team erred in giving Hurns such a big contract after just two seasons.

Hurns is due a base salary of $7 million this season, and it remains to be seen whether any team wants to trade for that salary. Hurns hasn’t played yet in the preseason, perhaps because the Jaguars want to keep him healthy and attractive to potential trade partners.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...de-allen-hurns/
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 01:49 PM
hurns is a bigger body right? might not be a bad idea ... and he's younger, though IIRC not much speed
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 02:11 PM
I think the Dwayne Bowe experience is coloring peoples' view of Britt a little bit. He definitely has some things to clean up and can't have the drops, but he's shown more than Bowe ever did here.

At this point, I'd roll with what we've got. Definitely don't think I'd be giving up assets for anyone.

I would have liked to have seen more slant routes and crossers. We didn't seem to run hardly any.

Coleman, Louis, Britt, Higgins, Hall, and Leslie are the 6 I'd probably go with. I think our chemistry is pretty good right now (off the field especially), and I'm not sure I'd want to throw in an outsider. Let the group grow with Kizer. Any new guy would need to learn the offense and develop chemistry and I think Kizer has a pretty full plate of things to do without needing to devote additional time to that.

Is Payton practice squad eligible? He and Leslie are kind of a toss up.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 02:13 PM
Anyone that follows football could have told you Kenny Britt is never more than a dollar chaser.
He's never been passionate about football
He's never wanted to be elite
Just cause you get 1000 yards doesn't mean your the answer
Everytime the Browns sign a free agent WR it's because
He's not really wanted by his previous team
Britt is Dwayne Bowe 2.0
Came here for money not to be a mentor.

Coleman showed some glimpses of what might be able to be vs the Bucks
And of course the great Ricardo Louis put up a zero in the Stat box.
Hall and Higgins are nothing more than the 52 and 53 guys on the roster.
Nothing they do makes you go wow

The tight ends arent exactly threats at this point
Devalve can catch but has no extra gear or ability to break tackles
Njoke is still learning the position

Coleman will get doubled teamed alot and defenses will get away with it
Posted By: Dawg_LB Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 02:32 PM
I see Hall, Louis and Coleman as likely our top WRs. Britt with that drop made me uneasy on him.
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 02:39 PM
Quote:
Anyone that follows football could have told you Kenny Britt is never more than a dollar chaser.

Most football players are dollar chasers. Most people, in general, are dollar chasers. I know I am!

Quote:
He's never been passionate about football
He's never wanted to be elite

Where is this coming from?

Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:10 PM
https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/901821465988915205

Well, we are looking ... Jarvis Landry is a possibility and so is Phillip Dorsett
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:17 PM
Landry would be sweet but didnt he just get nailed for domestic violence 2 weeks ago.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:18 PM
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life

Well, we are looking ... Jarvis Landry is a possibility and so is Phillip Dorsett

If Jarvis Landry is available, we need to get him. His contract is up at the end of the year, so we will have to pay him. But all he has done in the NFL is produce.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LandJa00.htm

288 receptions in his first three years for 3051 yards.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Mourgrym
Landry would be sweet but didnt he just get nailed for domestic violence 2 weeks ago.

http://www.12up.com/posts/5366629-jarvis...atest-statement
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

http://www.12up.com/posts/5366629-jarvis...atest-statement

Thanks Bro, sad it is all over the news he is being investigated for hitting his girlfriend then u never hear from anyone that he has been cleared.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:26 PM
he's a definite upgrade if we can get him
Posted By: Mourgrym Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:27 PM

If Jarvis Landry is available, we need to get him. His contract is up at the end of the year, so we will have to pay him. But all he has done in the NFL is produce.

Could be a Jamie collins type of situation. Bring him in and win him over.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:29 PM

And use the franchise tag if you have to, I'd give up quite a bit to get Jarvis Landry.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 03:29 PM

good thinking
Posted By: CalDawg Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 04:13 PM
I'm in favor of Njoku taking his lumps and letting Louis, Leslie, Higgins and Hall get more time on the field. In fact, I'd look at lining up Coleman, Louis, and Leslie, (or Higgins, or Hall) instead of Britt & Telfer from the gate. Let them grow with Kizer instead of wasting reps and game time.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 04:36 PM
He's a 1st rd pick of the Titans who's on his 3rd NFL team
His body language has told me in the preseason he's just here collecting a pay check and going through motions
He's a classic underachieving WR who was signed by a team desperate at WR
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 04:39 PM
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
His body language has told me in the preseason he's just here collecting a pay check and going through motions
yeah, ive NEVER been impressed with Britt. I actually think it's his 4th team isn't it? Either way, I'm always wary of guys who have career years in contract years.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 05:27 PM
j/c

Note to FO;

Never draft four WR's from a very weak WR class and think you actually addressed anything. You didn't.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 06:12 PM
yeah, ive NEVER been impressed with Britt. I actually think it's his 4th team isn't it? Either way, I'm always wary of guys who have career years in contract years.

The Browns are his third team. He started with the Titans and then went to the Rams.
Posted By: Dawgs4Life Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 06:15 PM

The Browns are his third team. He started with the Titans and then went to the Rams.
thanks. Couldnt remember if he was with the Giants for a bit or not
Posted By: MemphisBrownie Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 06:16 PM
Fine. I'll say it. I think he is overrated.

I guess it all depends on what we'd get for him. I'm curious why the Dolphins would be interested in getting rid of him...and it can't be because of Devante Parker, right?

I also think Tannehill is overrated as well, so maybe that had something to with his, IMO, sub par productivity.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 06:24 PM
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Fine. I'll say it. I think he is overrated.

I guess it all depends on what we'd get for him. I'm curious why the Dolphins would be interested in getting rid of him...and it can't be because of Devante Parker, right?

I also think Tannehill is overrated as well, so maybe that had something to with his, IMO, sub par productivity.

Jarvis Landry has the most receptions ever by a receiver in his third season (tied with ODB).
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 06:45 PM
Jarvis Landry - WR - Dolphins

According to The Ringer's Mike Lombardi, the Dolphins are "seriously" listening to any trade offers involving Jarvis Landry.

Per Lombardi, the Dolphins are "not going to re-sign" Landry to an extension after the season, and they are intent on turning over the passing-game focal point reins to DeVante Parker, evidenced by Parker's No. 1 wideout usage during the preseason. Landry is good at football, but he is a limited-athlete slot-only receiver whom Dolphins coaches believed held back the offense in previous years. Still, we suspect the Fins would at least would a second-round pick in return, and we suspect few if any teams would be willing to pay that price for a capped-ceiling slot receiver.

Source: Mike Lombardi on Twitter Aug 27 - 2:28 PM
Posted By: DiamDawg Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 06:47 PM
Cameron Meredith - WR - Bears

Cameron Meredith left Sunday's third preseason game with a left knee injury and will not return.

He was carted off after coming down with a 16-yard catch late in the first quarter. FOX declined to show a replay of the injury because it was so graphic. Meredith had his left leg placed in an air-cast upon exiting and is clearly dealing with a serious, potentially season-ending injury. His absence will open up targets for Kevin White and slot receiver Kendall Wright and could make the Bears even more reliant on second-year workhorse Jordan Howard.

Source: Brad Biggs on Twitter Aug 27 - 1:46 PM
Posted By: PDXBrownsFan Re: Receiving options? - 08/27/17 06:58 PM
Posted By: edromeo Re: Receiving options? - 08/28/17 01:28 PM
Agreed.

Britt was a 5 TD - 1,000 yard receiver last year. I expect similar production this year.
Posted By: PrplPplEater Re: Receiving options? - 08/28/17 08:45 PM
Originally Posted By: Dave
I posted this earlier this week in the "Available Players" thread in PF, but it could fit here:

Quote:
Anybody know about this guy? Should the Browns be interested?

Talk in Jacksonville that Jaguars may look to trade Allen Hurns

PFT
by Michael David Smith
August 23, 2017

A year ago, the Jaguars were so high on wide receiver Allen Hurns that they signed him to a four-year, $40 million contract extension. This year, the team’s view of Hurns appears to have changed.

There’s talk in Jacksonville that Hurns could be traded, with Jaguars beat writer Ryan O’Hallaran guessing that’s what the team wants to do.

An undrafted rookie in 2014, Hurns had a breakout season in 2015, catching 64 passes for 1,031 yards and 10 touchdowns. But last year his production declined significantly, and new Jaguars boss Tom Coughlin may think the team erred in giving Hurns such a big contract after just two seasons.

Hurns is due a base salary of $7 million this season, and it remains to be seen whether any team wants to trade for that salary. Hurns hasn’t played yet in the preseason, perhaps because the Jaguars want to keep him healthy and attractive to potential trade partners.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...de-allen-hurns/

We'll take him and that contract for a 2018 3rd round pick in exchange for a 7th rounder.
Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper Re: Receiving options? - 08/28/17 10:42 PM
I don't see Britt getting close to a 1000 yards
He was the the best WR by default in LA.
Quick and Austin both busts at WR.
The emergence of Coleman will lessen Britts numbers and I can see Britt becoming a malcontent once the Browns start out 2-5 3-8
Heck he's barely trying in the preseason
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Receiving options? - 08/28/17 10:46 PM
The emergence of Coleman will lessen Britts numbers and I can see Britt becoming a malcontent once the Browns start out 2-5 3-8

I don't think Britt will be very good, but, from what I've read/seen, he's a great teammate.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 02:40 PM
Well having great team mates who can't produce gets you what we had last year. A 1-15 record. This FO didn't sign him to that contract because he was a great team mate.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 04:12 PM
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Well having great team mates who can't produce gets you what we had last year. A 1-15 record. This FO didn't sign him to that contract because he was a great team mate.

I agree. I am just saying that I don't think Britt will become a malcontent.
Posted By: edromeo Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 04:16 PM
The emergence of Coleman will lessen Britts numbers...
I think you are reading what happened with Britt and the Ram's the wrong way. Sure, I agree that Ram's didn't have much talent around him in the passing game. But how is that different then Pryor's situation last year? (btw you could make the argument either way having fewer weapons makes it easier for the defense to focus on stopping whomever is the top receiving threat)

Brown's fan's love Pryor and lament his loss but how was Pryor situation different then Britt's? Best WR on a bad team? Britt's production was on par w/ Pryor.

And if you look closely at the numbers:

Pryor--1,007-4 TDs
Britt--1,002-5 TDs

But guess what? Pryor had 140 targets vs 111 for Britt.

With the loss of Pryor, Hawkin and Barnidge and our TEs being inexperienced I think there will be plenty of target to get both Coleman and Britt ~100 targets each.
Posted By: FL_Dawg Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 04:32 PM
Originally Posted By: edromeo
The emergence of Coleman will lessen Britts numbers...
I think you are reading what happened with Britt and the Ram's the wrong way. Sure, I agree that Ram's didn't have much talent around him in the passing game. But how is that different then Pryor's situation last year? (btw you could make the argument either way having fewer weapons makes it easier for the defense to focus on stopping whomever is the top receiving threat)

Brown's fan's love Pryor and lament his loss but how was Pryor situation different then Britt's? Best WR on a bad team? Britt's production was on par w/ Pryor.

And if you look closely at the numbers:

Pryor--1,007-4 TDs
Britt--1,002-5 TDs

But guess what? Pryor had 140 targets vs 111 for Britt.

With the loss of Pryor, Hawkin and Barnidge and our TEs being inexperienced I think there will be plenty of target to get both Coleman and Britt ~100 targets each.

All good points, And Britt will have a QB in Kizer, who doesn't shy away from taking the deep options as apposed to dink and dunks.

I do have concerns over his lack of production in the PS, but then he could just be making a business decision, by trying to not get injured before that first game check. I'm hoping that is the case, but with our track record with Veteran WR's, it's hard to be confident in projecting Britt's play, come the regular season.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 04:47 PM
Good post, but I think you are forgetting that last year was basically Pryor's first at playing WR full time and that Britt came into the league as a WR as a first round pick and flamed out in Tennessee.
Posted By: cfrs15 Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 04:50 PM
Originally Posted By: Versatile Dog
Good post, but I think you are forgetting that last year was basically Pryor's first at playing WR full time and that Britt came into the league as a WR as a first round pick and flamed out in Tennessee.

I think that we should have kept Pryor (transition tag), but if we get similar production out of Britt as we got from Pryor last year, I will be thrilled.
Posted By: Versatile Dog Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 04:52 PM
I am not in the group that wants to cut Britt. I am taking a wait and see approach.

I only replied to ed for informational purposes.
Posted By: Bull_Dawg Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 05:11 PM
The guys that Britt has had throwing him the ball is almost as "impressive" as our list of QBs.
Posted By: PitDAWG Re: Receiving options? - 08/29/17 07:30 PM
Pryor had never played the position before and Britt has been an NFL WR since 2009. Apples to oranges.
Posted By: mac Re: Receiving options? - 08/31/17 11:53 AM
Quote:

Two WRs whose careers are heading in opposite directions.

Last season (2016) was Pryor's "first" full season as a WR..it was Britt's 8th season. Both players are the same age..28.

Pryor has A LOT LESS mileage on his legs than Britt due to the fact that Pryor was previously a QB. Pryor also has less wear and tear on his body, from the hits.

Britt has an "extensive" injury history, with surgeries on both knees, the most serious in 2011 tearing his ACL and MCL of his right knee. http://www.sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/kenny-britt/25

Common sense should tell us that one player is likely to improve with more experience...Pryor.

With Britt entering his 9th season in the NFL, the clock is ticking.

Posted By: archbolddawg Re: Receiving options? - 08/31/17 05:12 PM
Neat.

Reality tells us Pryor didn't want to be here.
© DawgTalkers.net