Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Damanshot
WOw, that's some heady stuff there.. .Kinda over my head to be honest...

For me energy independence is better served by Wind Power

Basically, solar at scale is not good for the environment. It could potentially be catastrophic to ecosystems as well as speeding up global warming.

Geothermal, wave energy, and wind are very good solutions that seem to be much better for the planet.

Especially the new wind tech. It's pretty cool stuff. - basically, a wall of small windmills (with a screen to keep the birds away) that are significantly more efficient than one large propeller.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
The geothermal aspect is always one that interested me.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Cool switch me over to solar then for less than I am paying, or even for the same price and I'm all for it.

We are having solar put on our house, install date is currently Jan 18th. 31 panels to produce 11.45KwH

Florida is a Net Metering state, so if we can produce enough power throughout the sunlight hours to cover our usage over a 24hr period, we will net at $0 owed to FPL on a monthly basis. Most likely during winter months I will have s small bill <$20 due to the limited sun hour (but less AC needs during cooler months so it offsets some).

Based on my calculations, I will get a return on the investment in 11-13 years, not including increases in KwH costs in the future, after which I will have free electricity. So it's really like I am making a lump sum payment for lifetime electricity. Panels are fully guaranteed labor and parts for 25 years.

For someone who doesn't expect to still be around in 10-15 years it probably is not worth it, but if you're younger and plan to stay in your house for 15+ years, it would be worth it.

If you don't mind my asking. How much did the panels cost you? Also how much does your electric bill run each year? Living in Ohio VS Florida means less Sunlight (I'm guessing as I didn't look for any facts on that) We also don't use much electric. Our total electric Bills last year were just under 1,000 for the year. I am not new to solar. 50 years ago my Dad looked into getting solar panels on our house. Back then companies swore half the homes in the country would be using solar within 20 years but here we are 50 years later and about 4 percent of homes in this country have solar panels.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
Cool switch me over to solar then for less than I am paying, or even for the same price and I'm all for it.

We are having solar put on our house, install date is currently Jan 18th. 31 panels to produce 11.45KwH

Florida is a Net Metering state, so if we can produce enough power throughout the sunlight hours to cover our usage over a 24hr period, we will net at $0 owed to FPL on a monthly basis. Most likely during winter months I will have s small bill <$20 due to the limited sun hour (but less AC needs during cooler months so it offsets some).

Based on my calculations, I will get a return on the investment in 11-13 years, not including increases in KwH costs in the future, after which I will have free electricity. So it's really like I am making a lump sum payment for lifetime electricity. Panels are fully guaranteed labor and parts for 25 years.

For someone who doesn't expect to still be around in 10-15 years it probably is not worth it, but if you're younger and plan to stay in your house for 15+ years, it would be worth it.

If you don't mind my asking. How much did the panels cost you? Also how much does your electric bill run each year? Living in Ohio VS Florida means less Sunlight (I'm guessing as I didn't look for any facts on that) We also don't use much electric. Our total electric Bills last year were just under 1,000 for the year. I am not new to solar. 50 years ago my Dad looked into getting solar panels on our house. Back then companies swore half the homes in the country would be using solar within 20 years but here we are 50 years later and about 4 percent of homes in this country have solar panels.

My Electric Bill will range $200 to $250/month depending on outside temps. Whole system is coming in at 30k installed. Could have saved another 4-5k with LG panels, but Panasonic has a better warranty.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Climate check in

Link Copied to Clipboard