Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Batten down the hatches.....

Bad news for the 2022 hurricane season: The Loop Current, a fueler of monster storms, is looking a lot like it did in 2005, the year of Katrina
Nick Shay, Professor of Oceanography, University of Miami
Wed, May 18, 2022, 11:07 AM

A satellite image of ocean heat shows the strong Loop Current and swirling eddies. Christopher Henze, NASA/Ames
The Atlantic hurricane season starts on June 1, and the Gulf of Mexico is already warmer than average. Even more worrying is a current of warm tropical water that is looping unusually far into the Gulf for this time of year, with the power to turn tropical storms into monster hurricanes.

It’s called the Loop Current, and it’s the 800-pound gorilla of Gulf hurricane risks.

When the Loop Current reaches this far north this early in the hurricane season – especially during what’s forecast to be a busy season – it can spell disaster for folks along the Northern Gulf Coast, from Texas to Florida.

If you look at temperature maps of the Gulf of Mexico, you can easily spot the Loop Current. It curls up through the Yucatan Channel between Mexico and Cuba, into the Gulf of Mexico, and then swings back out through the Florida Strait south of Florida as the Florida Current, where it becomes the main contributor to the Gulf Stream.

The Loop Current was about as far north as Tampa, Florida, in mid May 2022. The scale, in meters, shows the maximum depth at which temperatures were 78 F (26 C) or greater.
The Loop Current was about as far north as Tampa, Florida, in mid May 2022. The scale, in meters, shows the maximum depth at which temperatures were 78 F (26 C) or greater. Nick Shay/University of Miami, CC BY-ND

When a tropical storm passes over the Loop Current or one of its giant eddies – large rotating pools of warm water that spin off from the current – the storm can explode in strength as it draws energy from the warm water.

https://news.yahoo.com/bad-news-2022-hurricane-season-123453675.html

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
I feel like this could be a bad hurricane season but we'll see... I try to not get too worked up though maybe I'll get a generator this year...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Smart move.. never hurts to be prepared

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Generators are great…which reminds me, time to bust mine back out and make sure it is still in working condition!

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by jaybird
I feel like this could be a bad hurricane season but we'll see... I try to not get too worked up though maybe I'll get a generator this year...

I you live in a hurricane area and plan to be there for a while being prepared is never and bad thing. Having enough power to keep a few lamps, fans, even a small window A/C unit make things much easier. Be sure to have enough indoor/outdoor extension cords to power what you want and reach where you want.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I wonder what is causing all of this? Wild fires are spreading to even more states now and drought is becoming far more wide spread.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Bad news for the 2022 hurricane season

Link Copied to Clipboard