Next Thread
Print Thread
#1974111 09/27/22 09:09 PM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
I got a different 'personal vehicle' recently. That meant I needed to sell my old one. It was a 2000 regular cab, 2 wd. 215,000 miles on it. Rusty, needed brakes, tires, and wipers. I offered it on facebook - a local site on face book.

An ex almost classmate asked if it would make it from here to Louisiana. I said, no, not the way it is. He said his son was in transition (military - an apache helicopter pilot) from Hawaii to to Louisiana. Son was up here on his break, I guess? Engine isn't a problem, it's the tires, tranny, and brakes.

He asked how much? (now, 'book value was as high as $2500 - I knew it wasn't worth that). Said his son would pay $1000. "Tell him to come take a look, drive it." Son showed up, drove it. I explained it needed tires, brakes, etc. And I wouldn't drive it that far. Just being honest. He offered $650. Done deal. Title work, etc.

Wife got a message today from the kids grandma: He got new tires, changed the brakes, got wipers, and he made it to Louisiana. Thank you so much for the price. He was elated, will probably sell it for a profit." No skin off my back, grandma.

2 members like this: dawglover05, mac
O
Legend
Legend
O
Awesome arch! Nice of you to help that young man that way. Probably meant the world to him.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Eh, maybe I helped him. He might make a few bucks. But he's active duty, as a pilot. Maybe he'll help us, or his ..............what's the word I want? I don't want to say comrades...............

Regardless, if selling a vehicle for less that its "value" (and it wasn't worth $2500) helps a military person, or for that matter, anyone - good for them. Just so happens he was the first one here. made an offer, way less than his dad (another vet - an amputee vet) said he would. Sold.

Legend
Legend
Weird how the world works sometimes.

I got a new truck today. There was nothing really wrong with the truck I had, other than it was really old, and I wanted something I could rely upon for the rest of my driving life. I am almost 60, and I figure I probably have 10-15 years of driving left in me. I don't drive a ton, so I went with a 2022 Ram, and stuck an 8 yr/60,000 bumper to bumper warranty on it. Went to my former boss, and considering that many dealers aren't discounting these one penny, I got a pretty good deal. I bought from a salesman I used to work with many years ago.

The only problem is that since this truck sits up so high, and they didn't have the running boards for it in stock, it's a challenge to get into. That will be resolved shortly, though.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
2 members like this: GMdawg, jfanent
B
Legend
Legend
B
I see it as you have $650 in your pocket for a 22 year old truck that needed some work. You are happy, the buyer is happy. That is how deals are supposed to work.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Precisely.

Legend
Legend
Sounds like you have some extra good karma, dude. Sometimes it just has good juju for all involved. Attaboy Award is probably in the mail. Good story told well.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's awesome, man. It's nice to see when things work out well for everyone involved. How do you like your new ride?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Good. I'm a simple person (some will attack me for that), I don't need the latest and greatest. It's nice to have a truck I can feel confident in again. Hey, over 13 years, I averaged 3,000 miles a year on the old one. It's nice to have the newest vehicle in my family (wife, daughter). We'll drive this truck more often as it's reliable, 4 wd, and roomier. That'll save some wear on my wife's Grand Cherokee.

Has a tuned exhaust which is cool, but not something I care about, really. Sounds good though.

Hey, it was time. I can shut the door on this one and not have rust fall off. I can go to umpire games and not be embarrassed by what I'm driving. 4wd will be nice in the winter as I won't have to worry about a 2 wd with locking differential spinning me into a ditch.

Bottom line, it was time to have 2 vehicles that are trustworthy as opposed to just one. That doesn't include my daughter's car, by the way.

Glad the old one got they youngster down to LA, he may keep it, he may sell it. He may make money on it if he sells it, even after the tires and brakes. If so, good for him.

1 member likes this: jfanent
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's awesome, man.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
I just don't like payments.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Sounds like you have some extra good karma, dude. Sometimes it just has good juju for all involved. Attaboy Award is probably in the mail. Good story told well.

Or, maybe more like no bad karma. Doing the right thing doesn't bring good karma unless you live in a cloud of bad. When one lives in a cloud of good karma, doing the right thing is simply the normal mode in which one tries to live.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
Legend
Legend
L
Holy crap, peen , you upped your level of empathy with that mini-speech! So eloquent and touching! I’m going to memorize that and use it at another appropriate time, like at a dinner party or something.

Not sarcasm.

Edit: btw, congrats on the truck thing, arch. I’ve never been a truck guy but I’d be a Ford driver if I were. They just look better than the others.

Last edited by lampdogg; 10/01/22 09:48 PM.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1st String
1st String
Payments do stink and really would get a great but used truck. Less expensive, do not like to use the word cheap as frugal is a better word for it. Just hope that you enjoy the truck. Congrats!

April Showers and Easter 2024!
Legend
Legend
It's hard to find an inexpensive used truck right now. Even 3-4 year old trucks go for $30-$40K. Just insane.

Last edited by YTownBrownsFan; 10/01/22 11:01 PM.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Got a new to me truck

Link Copied to Clipboard